NATION

PASSWORD

Italy arrests quake scientists, shakes scientific world

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Italy arrests quake scientists, shakes scientific world

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:47 am

CNN wrote:Seven people went on trial for manslaughter Tuesday in Italy, accused of failing to predict an earthquake that killed more than 300 people in L'Aquila in April 2009.

The seven -- six scientists from the Italian National Institute of Geophysics and Vulcanology and a member of the Civil Protection Agency -- were members of a governmental panel that prosecutors accuse of giving a "rough, generic and ineffective assessment of the seismic risk."

The seven, members of a so-called "major risks" panel, published "inaccurate, incomplete and contradictory information about the dangers of seismic activity undermining the protection of the population," prosecutors said.

The first hearing Tuesday morning in L'Aquila's tribunal was devoted to technical matters and claims by injured parties.

The city of L'Aquila has requested 50 million euros ($68 million) in compensation.

Only one defendant was in court, the vice president of the panel, Bernardo De Bernardinis. "I thought it was important to be here, not only because this is my turf but also to underline the professionalism ... of the other public officers," De Bernardinis told reporters.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/20/world/eur ... =allsearch

According to other tidbits in the article, the apparent basis of the trial is that these scientists didn't give warning of an impending earthquake, which would've prevented an unnecessary loss of life.

... which, if you know anything about the subject, is utter bullshit. Not even the best minds in California can even come up with a way to "predict" the onset of a major earthquake. Hell, their best attempt at evaluating seismic risk is essentially a conglomeration of previous evaluation work from companies that were "close enough" in their evaluation of site seismic hazards.

What say you? Does this trial do an injustice to the scientific community? As a bonus, do you believe that scientists will be able to predict - with accuracy - a seismic event with enough time to evacuate the public?

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:51 am

Dammit, I was hoping this about scientists causing a quake. I was all, "Supervillains FTW!" and then I had another drink and then I saw this thread and then I cried like a real man.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:51 am

Injustice. Scientists aren't obliged to protect the public, unless of course they knew that an earthquake was highly probable at that time and place.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:51 am

See they should really charge teh gays for actually causing it with their sinful ways but the Vatican protects its own alas, hence go after the scientists as always..
Last edited by Barringtonia on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Rambhutan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 28, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rambhutan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:38 am

For once the cliche 'why don't they go after the real criminals' seems right. Not enough organised crime figures or corrupt politicians to go after?
Last edited by Rambhutan on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are we there yet?

Overherelandistan wrote: I chalange you to find a better one that isnt even worse

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:45 am

The Italian government needs to get it collective head out of it's ass. There is no way in fuck to accurately predict an earthquake. This trial is a load of shit.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Stauffieland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Stauffieland » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:46 am

Injustice.

Show where in their contract it says they have this responsibility.
(If there were stupid enough to sign such a contract, by all means lock them up)

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:51 am

Its all their fault for not believing in the power of God and asking Him where the next quake would hit.

-Acadia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -Acadia » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:54 am

Seriously? This is like something from the Onion...
République acadienne
Population: 10,421,365 | Military population: 1.75%

"When the People fear the Government; there is tyranny. When the Government fears the People; there is liberty."
~ Thomas Jefferson

Barringtonia wrote:
-Acadia wrote:It's a paradox: it is designed not to have an answer.

Hmm, so could this God solve a paradox, eh? eh?

Where'd everyone go?

An Intelligent Man
Envoy

Founded: Jan 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby An Intelligent Man » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:56 am

Fair enough.
But Doctors must be arrested whenever someone dies.
Police must be put in jail whenever the fail to prevent a crime from being committed.
Firemen should also get tossed in the clinker when a fire damages property.
But evil things, in robes of sorrow,
Assailed the monarch's high estate.

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
I kill threads.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:02 am

Incompetence or bad luck is illegal?

Please arrest the Italian parliament and haul their asses off to jail.
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:09 am

The folks on trial are part of a group that is charged with geological risk assessment.

There were signs (increased seismic activity), that fortold the possiblity of a potential quake.

These guys deliberately downplayed the risk by joking about it.

folks did not take measures to protect themselves because of joking about potential risk by the expert committee.

Quake happened, people died.

They look pretty guilty to me.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:13 am

Ethel mermania wrote:The folks on trial are part of a group that is charged with geological risk assessment.

There were signs (increased seismic activity), that fortold the possiblity of a potential quake.

folks did not take measures to protect themselves because of joking about potential risk by the expert committee.

Just like how a person who watches a car accident is guilty of murder.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:16 am

Wiztopia wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:The folks on trial are part of a group that is charged with geological risk assessment.

Just like how a person who watches a car accident is guilty of murder.

No, just like how a cop who watches a murder is guilty of neglience.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:35 am

Its absolutely ridiculous. They basically told people that small tremors do not mean that large earthquake will occur, but that it is impossible to predict. How could they possibly have given a more accurate warning with the information they had at the time?

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:41 am

The fact that it is Italy doing this, when they've got the Vatican right in their midst, makes it even funnier. I'm sure that any minute they'll be arresting the Pope for all the dire predictions of God's Wrath being called down upon those who dare to treat gay people and women like humans.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:44 am

Cosmopoles wrote:Its absolutely ridiculous. They basically told people that small tremors do not mean that large earthquake will occur, but that it is impossible to predict. How could they possibly have given a more accurate warning with the information they had at the time?

No, they told people, "do not worry about it, have a glass of wine"

Big difference between, we do not know; and, go have a drink.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:00 am

Ethel mermania wrote:No, they told people, "do not worry about it, have a glass of wine"

Big difference between, we do not know; and, go have a drink.

Actually, there isn't much difference. What would you advise someone to do when you don't know whether an earthquake is coming and never will?

Yaltabaoth
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Yaltabaoth » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:08 am

Ethel mermania wrote:No, just like how a cop who watches a murder is guilty of neglience.

No. If the cop had magically pre-cognised a murder and watched it happen, then your analogy would be accurate. Minority Report is fiction, doncha know.

It is absolutely impossible to accurately predict earthquakes.

Rambhutan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 28, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rambhutan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:10 am

Let's hope no Italian politicians have foolishly failed to accurately predict the country's looming economic problems.
Are we there yet?

Overherelandistan wrote: I chalange you to find a better one that isnt even worse

Fionnuala_Saoirse
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fionnuala_Saoirse » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:20 am

Can someone show me some sort of official report saying they're being charged with 'not predicting the quake' or something to that effect. All I can see at the moment is a bit of media sensationalising.
The view from L'Aquila, however, is quite different. Prosecutors and the families of victims alike say that the trial has nothing to do with the ability to predict earthquakes, and everything to do with the failure of government-appointed scientists serving on an advisory panel to adequately evaluate, and then communicate, the potential risk to the local population. The charges, detailed in a 224-page document filed by Picuti, allege that members of the National Commission for Forecasting and Predicting Great Risks, who held a special meeting in L'Aquila the week before the earthquake, provided "incomplete, imprecise, and contradictory information" to a public that had been unnerved by months of persistent, low-level tremors. Picuti says that the commission was more interested in pacifying the local population than in giving clear advice about earthquake preparedness.

"I'm not crazy," Picuti says. "I know they can't predict earthquakes. The basis of the charges is not that they didn't predict the earthquake. As functionaries of the state, they had certain duties imposed by law: to evaluate and characterize the risks that were present in L'Aquila." Part of that risk assessment, he says, should have included the density of the urban population and the known fragility of many ancient buildings in the city centre. "They were obligated to evaluate the degree of risk given all these factors," he says, "and they did not."

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110914/ ... 7264a.html

If the above is the case then the trial seems a fair one to hold
Last edited by Fionnuala_Saoirse on Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stupid Telegrams Received :

- "Isn't your name the name of the female Branch of the IRA" -- Benian Republic

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:39 am

Regardless of the outcome, the real world effect here is that geologists will refuse to work in Italy because of the precedent set. Which will lead to more loss of life because scientists wont' even bother to give you warning of an impending quake if possible.
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
And I'd hand them an insurgency.
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

Donkeyphants
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Donkeyphants » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:07 am

They should say sorry for maeking an earthquake, and put every thing back how it was.
> > i haz 2 heads and shit from both ends! < <

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:14 am

Volnotova wrote:Incompetence or bad luck is illegal?

Please arrest the Italian parliament and haul their asses off to jail.

:lol2:

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:14 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:Injustice. Scientists aren't obliged to protect the public, unless of course they knew that an earthquake was highly probable at that time and place.

Is there any reason that these scientists could have reasonably been expected to know the exact details of the forthcoming earthquake? Even if they were expected to know, where they obligated by (the government? science? God? Robot Lincoln?) to know this? I mean, even if we assume that such forknowledge in this case is entirely possible, is it reasonable to expect that they necessarily know it?

Ok, and even if we meet these two conditions (they were for sure able to know about the quake in advance, and they had an obligation to know) is it reasonably to assume they had the legal duty to report their findings necessarily?

Basically nothing about this case makes any sense. We can't know if they could have accurately predicted this beforehand (with reasonable certainty), they are not obligated to have known about the quake, even if such knowledge were possible. Moreover I don't think they should have been legally obligated to necessarily divulge this information that they were supposed to have had.

Ridiculous.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General