NATION

PASSWORD

Confusing Issue Name

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Daynor
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Confusing Issue Name

Postby Daynor » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:20 pm

I had an issue named "We Who Are About To Die Would Rather Go Home".

But the issue has nothing to do with people who are "about to die" or "going home".

The issue says this:

issue wrote:An old supporter of yours has recently passed on, leaving a quite sizeable plot of land to you in his will - but only under a rather unusual condition: that the site be developed into a colosseum for hosting gladiatorial fights and other bloody spectacles.

The Debate
"Yes, yes!" cries Clint Trax, waving a wooden sword enthusiastically. "You've gotta do this, man! Gladiator fights are like the ultimate in spectator sports! And it doesn't just have to be people! We could pit man against Blue Jay! Blade against claw! Nothing to their names but their wits and their stamina! You'd have to pay people a lot to risk their lives doing this but I bet you'd earn a whole lot more from merchandise and wagers and stuff!"

"That's just sick," says Dave Barry, president of the Kill Violence Now Association. "I don't believe you'd find anyone willing to watch actual people tearing each other apart. It's savage and horrible! It's even worse than boxing! Violent sports should be outlawed for the sake of this country's moral integrity. I'm sorry, I've got to go - I'm ashamed you're even considering this."

"Actually, we could use this to our advantage," whispers Chief of Police, Chastity Falopian. "Why not just force convicted criminals to fight for the amusement of the public? They'll be paying for their crimes, contributing to society, and totally freeing us of having to build jails to throw their useless hides in!"

So am I missing a connection?

The name made me think that this was going to be a euthanasia issue, but it was an gladiator issue instead! :lol:
Young Libertarian Conservative
Political Compass: (2.63,-1.44)
Delegate of the Conservative Coalition
Ambassador Franklin Tanner
ლ(゚д゚ლ)
Daynor

Niicha
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Niicha » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:48 pm

Daynor wrote:I had an issue named "We Who Are About To Die Would Rather Go Home".

But the issue has nothing to do with people who are "about to die" or "going home".

The issue says this:

issue wrote:An old supporter of yours has recently passed on, leaving a quite sizeable plot of land to you in his will - but only under a rather unusual condition: that the site be developed into a colosseum for hosting gladiatorial fights and other bloody spectacles.

The Debate
"Yes, yes!" cries Clint Trax, waving a wooden sword enthusiastically. "You've gotta do this, man! Gladiator fights are like the ultimate in spectator sports! And it doesn't just have to be people! We could pit man against Blue Jay! Blade against claw! Nothing to their names but their wits and their stamina! You'd have to pay people a lot to risk their lives doing this but I bet you'd earn a whole lot more from merchandise and wagers and stuff!"

"That's just sick," says Dave Barry, president of the Kill Violence Now Association. "I don't believe you'd find anyone willing to watch actual people tearing each other apart. It's savage and horrible! It's even worse than boxing! Violent sports should be outlawed for the sake of this country's moral integrity. I'm sorry, I've got to go - I'm ashamed you're even considering this."

"Actually, we could use this to our advantage," whispers Chief of Police, Chastity Falopian. "Why not just force convicted criminals to fight for the amusement of the public? They'll be paying for their crimes, contributing to society, and totally freeing us of having to build jails to throw their useless hides in!"

So am I missing a connection?

The name made me think that this was going to be a euthanasia issue, but it was an gladiator issue instead! :lol:

"To those about to die, we salute you."

It's reference, mmkay? :)

Sirocco
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sirocco » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:56 pm

I got an A in Higher Classical Studies, alright? ;)

Daynor
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Daynor » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:11 pm

I'm glad.

But for those of us who haven't, you want to explain? :eyebrow:
Young Libertarian Conservative
Political Compass: (2.63,-1.44)
Delegate of the Conservative Coalition
Ambassador Franklin Tanner
ლ(゚д゚ლ)
Daynor

Buccaneers FC
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Buccaneers FC » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:15 pm

I doubt he does.
The Weegies said:
Dear God, imagine a date with Bluth Corporation:

Date: "Do you mind paying, or do you want to split the bill?"
Bluth Corporation: YOU ARE INFRINGING UPON MY UNIVERSE-DERIVED OBJECTIVE INDIVIDUALITY! MY PERSONAL SOVEREIGNTY, TAKEN FROM COMPLETELY CORRECT AND OBSERVABLE FIRST PRINCIPLES HAS BEEN VIOLATED! YOU ARE IMPOSING SOCIETAL NORMS UPON ME WHICH I REJECT AS ILLEGITIMATE! A IS A! A IS A!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: So... split it, then?

Sirocco
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sirocco » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:15 pm

Ah right,

When gladiators entered the arena they would salute the emperor before doing battle as a mark of respect. They would say "Morituri te salutamus" -this translates as "We who are about to die salute/greet you". Salute works a bit better. I think the actual quote is something slightly different but it escapes me.
Last edited by Sirocco on Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alsatian Knights
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Alsatian Knights » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:44 pm

I got this issue today...needless to say I put my criminals to work for the entertainment industry. :)
Qwendra has been resurrected and is looking for players who want to start anew and shape a government!

Ledarre
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ledarre » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:41 am

Sirocco wrote:Ah right,

When gladiators entered the arena they would salute the emperor before doing battle as a mark of respect. They would say "Morituri te salutamus" -this translates as "We who are about to die salute/greet you". Salute works a bit better. I think the actual quote is something slightly different but it escapes me.

I think "We who are about to die salute you" is correct but there is only one historical reference of this, so it was probably not a common occurance ( Or perhaps it only happened that one time).
The Murtunian Tribes wrote:
Ledarre wrote:I'm struggling to see the problem here. Just look at my nation, looks like a politically free nation, right? WRONG! The democratically elected parliament requires a unanimous vote to actually pass legalisation and with proportional representation and the number of extremists in parliament this is near impossible.

So the monarchy effectively rules by decree. I have achieved this through answering issues in a certain way... Unfortunately I can’t remember what those issues were. That plus a little bit of RP. Anyway my point is it’s easy to have moderate to high political freedoms and still have absolute power, you just have to be creative.

Huh. That's a rather unique and, I must say, deliciously evil approach. *golfclap*

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:46 am

Sirocco wrote:I got an A in Higher Classical Studies, alright? ;)

No you didn't... to the Colosseum!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?