NATION

PASSWORD

GHR requests on the main forum page

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

GHR requests on the main forum page

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:42 pm

I would like to make a suggestion that the GHR request button be put on the front page of forum page. The point is to make it very easy to be accessible and noticeable

We had a situation this morning that really did require immediate attention

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=105732

A newbie making the report would have had no idea where to go, and while I had a general thought that something had to be done, at 6:00 am on my cell phone it is very difficult to find what to do, so I posted in moderation. Had I got the response from the moderator that the user gave me (even though the user was trying to be helpful) I most likely would have said screw it let them figure it out for themselves, and I am sure the ownship of the site would not have liked that flag to stay.

Now that said; the response of the moderator was textbook perfect. If there is a “how to be a moderator” manual that response should be it. I did not feel put upon, I was shown the suggested correction, correction was taken immediately and light humor was used to show all is well. Well done Tsaraine.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Code: Select all
[help]Is that really needed?[/help]

Is that really needed?
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:41 pm

One would think the thread that says "check here first" would be the place people would check first, but perhaps that's not obvious enough.

The link's also pretty obvious on the FAQ, although I'd suggest that be edited somewhat to point out that the GHP is also a good way to bring things to the attention of the moderators or whatever. Perhaps we could put it on the sidebar. That'd certainly be impossible to miss. <.<
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:12 pm

Czardas wrote:One would think the thread that says "check here first" would be the place people would check first, but perhaps that's not obvious enough.

The link's also pretty obvious on the FAQ, although I'd suggest that be edited somewhat to point out that the GHP is also a good way to bring things to the attention of the moderators or whatever. Perhaps we could put it on the sidebar. That'd certainly be impossible to miss. <.<

I suggested the sidebar before, I'm fairly sure the mods at the time said it would bring too many complaints flooding at them.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Usual People In Life
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Usual People In Life » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:25 am

There may have been that issue at the time.

Still, could it be given a trial to see what happens. It would help me and others when we (hopefully not too often) need to quickly send off a GHR without going through lots of pages.

What do admin and mods think?
When is a nation not a nation? When it's a region!

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:28 am

Lots of pages? It's one extra page.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Putting "HELP" on the sidebar generates many, many GHRs from new players along the lines of, "How do you play this game?" It's really a REPORT function.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Lots of pages? It's one extra page.

It's not the easiest link to find, though. Perhaps links under RMBs and Telegram inboxs saying, "Report Abuse", that links to a GHR would help. *shrugs*
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Yep, "Report" links beside potentially naughty content is the only way to make lodging GHRs easier. But we don't really want a site covered with "Report" links, either (which, to be comprehensive, would need to go beside flags, mottos, TGs... everywhere players can post things).

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:39 pm

[violet] wrote:Yep, "Report" links beside potentially naughty content is the only way to make lodging GHRs easier. But we don't really want a site covered with "Report" links, either (which, to be comprehensive, would need to go beside flags, mottos, TGs... everywhere players can post things).

Point taken, My though is to make reporting inappropriate content as quick and easy as possible. As others have pointed out, if you know what you are doing it is easy to do a GHR now.

However I do not really know what I am doing, and I was playing on my phone at the time (which is hard on us old people). In this and similar instances it would be advantageous it would be better for all, if it were easier for folks who do not know what they are doing make the report.

As others also have noted the side bar is probably a better location for the form, and maybe a differently titled link button may help cut down on the additional work.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:39 am

Ethel mermania wrote:Point taken, My though is to make reporting inappropriate content as quick and easy as possible. As others have pointed out, if you know what you are doing it is easy to do a GHR now.

However I do not really know what I am doing, and I was playing on my phone at the time (which is hard on us old people). In this and similar instances it would be advantageous it would be better for all, if it were easier for folks who do not know what they are doing make the report.

As others also have noted the side bar is probably a better location for the form, and maybe a differently titled link button may help cut down on the additional work.

If you're using the forum, you can create the GHR link yourself.

Code: Select all
[help]Any text you want here[/help]

Any text you want here

Even if you only Preview this message (and don't post it), that's an easy enough way to get a GHR link for your own use. (And/Or you could even put the link in your sig somewhere.)

(I know that Mahaj listed this above, but since it appeared to be overlooked, I figured it was worth repeating.)
Last edited by Mousebumples on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Unibotian WA Mission
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WA Mission » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:19 am

[violet] wrote:Yep, "Report" links beside potentially naughty content is the only way to make lodging GHRs easier. But we don't really want a site covered with "Report" links, either (which, to be comprehensive, would need to go beside flags, mottos, TGs... everywhere players can post things).

Fair enough. I think certain players would go crazy from the panopticon. :lol2:

EDIT: I'll add this to the Big List.
Last edited by Unibotian WA Mission on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
General Halcones wrote: Look up to Unibot as an example.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical