NATION

PASSWORD

What is the last movie you've seen? Part 2

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Elwher
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9761
Founded: May 24, 2012
Corporate Bordello

Postby Elwher » Mon Sep 14, 2026 10:16 pm

Dr. Strangelove again
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
Tumnia
Attaché
 
Posts: 79
Founded: Jul 20, 2026
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tumnia » Tue Sep 15, 2026 12:29 am

Quantum of Solace
Commonwealth of Tumnia/Chukotka
From Tumnia to the World

CBC 2|Revenue for ArctikGas,Chukotka Mining Company and Chukotka Natural Gas Company and Fomenko up by 9 percent|The cruise ship MS Esso to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky,Russia capsized off the coast of Anadyr in the night with 120 crew and 186 passengers, 25 dead, 19 rescued and 262 missing|Speaker Mamelin killed along Interior Minister in plane crash|
1 guilder= 0.26 NSD
Canon Pop: 8 million

User avatar
The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24035
Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Two Jerseys » Tue Sep 15, 2026 9:30 am

Battle of Britain again, because how else does one observe Battle of Britain Day
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

User avatar
Chess Socialism
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6381
Founded: Nov 07, 2025
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Chess Socialism » Tue Sep 15, 2026 11:12 am

A Minecraft Movie way back when in April 2025, at least the last time I've gone to a theater.
★ Hi, my name's Irene! ★
she/her | Michigander | AuDHD | Disabled
Free Palestine | Free Ukraine | Trans Rights
FAQ | TGs open | What do I put here?

Hey, send me your U.S. midterm predictions in telegrams! I'm making an average NationStates midterms prediction before election day. Serious predictions only!!!

User avatar
Retro Caliland
Envoy
 
Posts: 227
Founded: Sep 24, 2025
Anarchy

Postby Retro Caliland » Tue Sep 15, 2026 1:02 pm

Tumnia wrote:Quantum of Solace

What’d you think?

I personally didn’t like it. I’m not a fan of the Craig era of Bond films to begin with, and QoS is definitely one of the worst films of his run as Bond.
A chaotic direct democracy off the coast of California, with political parties banned, Universal Basic Income, free healthcare, free college, legalized weed, mafia-run casinos, superyachts, tax haven status, sports cars, offshore bank accounts, tech startups, and no speed limit highways.
IC name is “Caliland”. “mini Mercov” Also: I finally did it


There are two kinds of folks who sit at home thinking about how to ruin the country: politicians, and satire writers. I’m the kind that pays worse.
Headlines: Man Wearing Armor Made Of Needoh Attacks Cops "For Science" | Woman Burns Down Ex-Boyfriend’s House And Roasts S’mores On Fire

User avatar
Yorsa II
Envoy
 
Posts: 347
Founded: Aug 16, 2026
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Yorsa II » Tue Sep 15, 2026 1:18 pm

Retro Caliland wrote:
Tumnia wrote:Quantum of Solace

What’d you think?

I personally didn’t like it. I’m not a fan of the Craig era of Bond films to begin with, and QoS is definitely one of the worst films of his run as Bond.


That's one of my top 5 favorite 007 films. I like Casino Royale and No Time to Die, but Skyfall is meh and Spectre is terrible. He's is a n excellent James Bond, but my favorite is still Timothy Dalton. I'd say The Living Daylights is the best 007 film
[She/Her] Yorsa II lore is terrible. Avoid
I: Hybrid 003 / The Heretic / The Queen
II: Hybrid 092 / Blessed Artillery / The Right Hand
III: Lt. Vulgore of the Glory / The Left Hand
IV: Hybrid 023 / The Emaciated Holy Figure / The Planet Grid
V: Hybrid 069 / Big Bow / Bull Dog Enforcer

The fires of self are never extinguished, only displaced

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48114
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Sep 16, 2026 1:34 pm

Hope, Korean monster movie. Turns out I burned a genie wish without know it, but to know what one is a complete spoiler. Like not a light spoiler, a 'will fundamentally ruin your experience of the movie' spoiler. Do not click lightly.

An alien invasion movie from a completely inconsequential part of it. And you don't realize that until the very end that looks like its ending on a cliffhanger but it's just the reveal that the characters we've been following have just been surviving a small part of a much bigger story that was happening without their knowledge.

But it starts as a regular ass monster movie, but this time they're being cagey about the look of the monster not to delay the cool reveal but the reveal is a layer. A giant humanoid that goes a-smashin'. So then it's just the sheer terror of a ten foot tall nearly indestructible monster tearing up a largely older small community on the border between North and South Korea.

But...was the monster crying? Find out from a gross out funny/scary story that their are more monsters but also...some local dipshit shot a juvenile version of the monster...holy shit, she was looking for her child! And there's more of them! Uh oh...but now we find out that they're not just mountain creatures, they're aliens. And while they're naked and skittering around they're strategizing.

Then, wait, are they talking?

No time to figure it out, they can shape shift (into one other form) and our heroes have to run for their lives! Except suddenly from the trailer, their mothership comes crashing down for reasons we'll never learn. Focus shifts to our pursuing aliens, now getting subtitles and...there's a whole rash of shit that's been going down for them that had fuckall to do with our heroes.

And our heroes kinda suck, like the main way the main character stays alive is by not being there in time.

Anyway, interesting movie.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
Retro Caliland
Envoy
 
Posts: 227
Founded: Sep 24, 2025
Anarchy

Postby Retro Caliland » Wed Sep 16, 2026 1:50 pm

Yorsa II wrote:
Retro Caliland wrote:What’d you think?

I personally didn’t like it. I’m not a fan of the Craig era of Bond films to begin with, and QoS is definitely one of the worst films of his run as Bond.


That's one of my top 5 favorite 007 films. I like Casino Royale and No Time to Die, but Skyfall is meh and Spectre is terrible. He's is a n excellent James Bond, but my favorite is still Timothy Dalton. I'd say The Living Daylights is the best 007 film

Casino Royale is pretty good. I agree that Skyfall is overrated, but god damn it do I love the cinematography in that film (Roger Deakins is the goat). Spectre is definitely terrible, and I’m meh on No Time To Die.

Dalton was a good James Bond, and apparently his performance was the closest to the books. Living Daylights is a top 5 Bond film for me, but my favorite will always be Goldeneye. Pierce Brosnan is and always will be my favorite Bond actor (there’s not many hills I’m willing to die on but Brosnan being the best Bond is one of them).

Anyways, last movie I saw was Anchorman. Not my first time watching it, but it’s always funny.
Last edited by Retro Caliland on Wed Sep 16, 2026 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A chaotic direct democracy off the coast of California, with political parties banned, Universal Basic Income, free healthcare, free college, legalized weed, mafia-run casinos, superyachts, tax haven status, sports cars, offshore bank accounts, tech startups, and no speed limit highways.
IC name is “Caliland”. “mini Mercov” Also: I finally did it


There are two kinds of folks who sit at home thinking about how to ruin the country: politicians, and satire writers. I’m the kind that pays worse.
Headlines: Man Wearing Armor Made Of Needoh Attacks Cops "For Science" | Woman Burns Down Ex-Boyfriend’s House And Roasts S’mores On Fire

User avatar
Yorsa II
Envoy
 
Posts: 347
Founded: Aug 16, 2026
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Yorsa II » Sat Sep 19, 2026 12:54 am

Retro Caliland wrote:
Yorsa II wrote:
That's one of my top 5 favorite 007 films. I like Casino Royale and No Time to Die, but Skyfall is meh and Spectre is terrible. He's is a n excellent James Bond, but my favorite is still Timothy Dalton. I'd say The Living Daylights is the best 007 film

Casino Royale is pretty good. I agree that Skyfall is overrated, but god damn it do I love the cinematography in that film (Roger Deakins is the goat). Spectre is definitely terrible, and I’m meh on No Time To Die.

Dalton was a good James Bond, and apparently his performance was the closest to the books. Living Daylights is a top 5 Bond film for me, but my favorite will always be Goldeneye. Pierce Brosnan is and always will be my favorite Bond actor (there’s not many hills I’m willing to die on but Brosnan being the best Bond is one of them).

Anyways, last movie I saw was Anchorman. Not my first time watching it, but it’s always funny.


Pierce Brosnan is the best bond with the worst track record. Goldeneye is great and its diminishing returns from there until we get to Die Another Day.......enough said. He deserved much better films.

I wish there was a general movie thread to talk about cinema/film topics in general, because I watch a lot of movies.
This week I watched the nearly 3 hour extended cut of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly with a friend who had never seen it and she was blown away. Modern films just can't compete with the power of the spaghetti western. The scene where the violinist stops playing, gets yelled at, and is instructed to keep playing while a beating is happening in the background is top tier cinema. Still one of the GOATS

I picked another film out at random from the library called Babette's Feast [1987] and was utterly blown away. Best I can summarize is that a Woman who used to live in a small fishing village in 1800's Denmark leaves for France, later returns, and requests to cook a real French dinner for the 100th Centennial (12 people in attendance). They are hesitant about the idea, because they have taken a vow against sensation and see fancy cooking/wine/cuisine as temptation. The entire village agrees, but vows to never speak of the dishes, the flavor, or mention the meal the entire time. It was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I may be explaining it wrong, but it was really good.

I attempted to watch Le Beau Serge [1958] but I wasn't in the right mood for it. Black and White, French, New-Wave cinema takes a lot of patience to watch
Last edited by Yorsa II on Sat Sep 19, 2026 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
[She/Her] Yorsa II lore is terrible. Avoid
I: Hybrid 003 / The Heretic / The Queen
II: Hybrid 092 / Blessed Artillery / The Right Hand
III: Lt. Vulgore of the Glory / The Left Hand
IV: Hybrid 023 / The Emaciated Holy Figure / The Planet Grid
V: Hybrid 069 / Big Bow / Bull Dog Enforcer

The fires of self are never extinguished, only displaced

User avatar
Democratic Crocuta
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 55
Founded: Mar 29, 2025
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Democratic Crocuta » Sat Sep 19, 2026 1:01 am

Buddy.

It's better than you think. Buddy, a Barney-like unicorn mascot, gets more sinister as things progress. He's actually like some sort of eldrich horror with some level of control over space and time.
A nation of brave Hyenafolk, building the first and only true revolutionary society free of imperialists and foreign lackeys. At least, that's what the big billboard in huge red characters says.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48114
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Sep 19, 2026 12:20 pm

Resident Evil

While it isn't any of the characters from the game per se, it is perhaps the most video game-y movie I've ever seen. The director, the guy from Barbarian and Weapons, talked about how he structured the film like a video game (and a serial it turns out) so that you're going from one set piece to the next and slowly upgrading your weapons etc.

What I liked about it is the dude is completely normal. No hidden skills that come in handy, not a natural at anything. Personifies 'people don't know they're in a movie' thing, makes mistakes while panicking. Panics. Does movie things that don't really pan out. Manages to mix being organically funny and tense.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
Elwher
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9761
Founded: May 24, 2012
Corporate Bordello

Postby Elwher » Sat Sep 19, 2026 6:26 pm

Majoe Dundee
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
Yorsa II
Envoy
 
Posts: 347
Founded: Aug 16, 2026
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Yorsa II » Mon Sep 21, 2026 6:50 am

Daimajin (1966) A giant god statue comes to life to punish an evil warlord. That was so violent for 1966 and I loved it, that movie was really good
[She/Her] Yorsa II lore is terrible. Avoid
I: Hybrid 003 / The Heretic / The Queen
II: Hybrid 092 / Blessed Artillery / The Right Hand
III: Lt. Vulgore of the Glory / The Left Hand
IV: Hybrid 023 / The Emaciated Holy Figure / The Planet Grid
V: Hybrid 069 / Big Bow / Bull Dog Enforcer

The fires of self are never extinguished, only displaced

User avatar
Lusitanic
Minister
 
Posts: 3195
Founded: Jan 27, 2025
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lusitanic » Tue Sep 22, 2026 11:36 am

Elwher wrote:Dr. Strangelove again

I don’t get dr strange love, it’s not that I don’t like it, I think it’s funny and the plot is pretty good. but I can’t appreciate it like other classics, I just don’t get what’s so innovative about it.
I prayed "God, make my enemies ridiculous"... and He sent me to General on the NationStates forums.
Economic Left/Right: 0.5 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5
https://8values.github.io/results.html? ... 6.7&s=75.6
My right values says individualist anarchist but I’m not an anarchist.

User avatar
Elwher
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9761
Founded: May 24, 2012
Corporate Bordello

Postby Elwher » Tue Sep 22, 2026 11:46 am

Lusitanic wrote:
Elwher wrote:Dr. Strangelove again

I don’t get dr strange love, it’s not that I don’t like it, I think it’s funny and the plot is pretty good. but I can’t appreciate it like other classics, I just don’t get what’s so innovative about it.


For today, it would not be innovative. For 1964, when movies about the armed forces were almost exclusively honoring their heroics, this was a welcome change.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48114
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Sep 26, 2026 1:03 pm

Three in a row:

Avengers Endgame Encore, not really worth it for the new ending bits, not an extended edition or anything. Maybe if the audience was more amped to try and revisit initial reactions but we were just kinda...well, its a movie most of us have already watched a few times.

Myth of Man finally on a streaming service I have. Writer director is also the composer which is confounding because the score really lets the otherwise visually stunning movie down. Also terrible for a home release because as it contains no dialog it is demanding of attention and at home there's too much pulling that.

Primetime Focus' on Hansen's crusader self image with a suggestion that it had more to do with career ambition and jealousy of Stone Phillips. Wasn't quite as focused on the notion of performative justice and sensationalist media. Like it doesn't get to how most of the people arrested on the show ended up getting their cases dismissed because of the numerous violations by Dateline and Perverted Justice. Does a decent job of demonstrating that sort of internal corruptibility where someone creates an outsized vision of themselves as a hero.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
Retro Caliland
Envoy
 
Posts: 227
Founded: Sep 24, 2025
Anarchy

Postby Retro Caliland » Sat Sep 26, 2026 3:56 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Primetime Focus' on Hansen's crusader self image with a suggestion that it had more to do with career ambition and jealousy of Stone Phillips. Wasn't quite as focused on the notion of performative justice and sensationalist media. Like it doesn't get to how most of the people arrested on the show ended up getting their cases dismissed because of the numerous violations by Dateline and Perverted Justice. Does a decent job of demonstrating that sort of internal corruptibility where someone creates an outsized vision of themselves as a hero.

Interestingly, among many of my peers, Primetime introduced them to who Chris Hansen is (I myself previously only knew him from that one South Park episode he was in) so I can finally break out my Chris Hansen impression. True it was underwhelming, but goddammnit does Pattinson nail the voice.
A chaotic direct democracy off the coast of California, with political parties banned, Universal Basic Income, free healthcare, free college, legalized weed, mafia-run casinos, superyachts, tax haven status, sports cars, offshore bank accounts, tech startups, and no speed limit highways.
IC name is “Caliland”. “mini Mercov” Also: I finally did it


There are two kinds of folks who sit at home thinking about how to ruin the country: politicians, and satire writers. I’m the kind that pays worse.
Headlines: Man Wearing Armor Made Of Needoh Attacks Cops "For Science" | Woman Burns Down Ex-Boyfriend’s House And Roasts S’mores On Fire

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48114
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Sep 26, 2026 5:06 pm

Retro Caliland wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Primetime Focus' on Hansen's crusader self image with a suggestion that it had more to do with career ambition and jealousy of Stone Phillips. Wasn't quite as focused on the notion of performative justice and sensationalist media. Like it doesn't get to how most of the people arrested on the show ended up getting their cases dismissed because of the numerous violations by Dateline and Perverted Justice. Does a decent job of demonstrating that sort of internal corruptibility where someone creates an outsized vision of themselves as a hero.

Interestingly, among many of my peers, Primetime introduced them to who Chris Hansen is (I myself previously only knew him from that one South Park episode he was in) so I can finally break out my Chris Hansen impression. True it was underwhelming, but goddammnit does Pattinson nail the voice.

I lived through the "To Catch a Predator" era, so I knew a lot going in. I actually didn't know the incident that it's centered on because I just considered it 'yellow journalism' and didn't pay that much attention. Sort of prelude to now, my interaction with the show was via everyone else's reaction to the show. I've seen more parody of it than I've seen actual episodes. I don't know that I watched any actual episodes, I may have only seen 20/20 segments but I can't be sure.

This isn't the place to go into it but I had already started to feel people randomly bringing up those issues generally speaking had agendas that had little to do with the kids and a lot more to do with either needing a 'safe' outlet for their own violent fantasies or were using it to demonize unrelated groups. I would later learn that the people who do the actual, real, tangible work to stop this kind of thing hate shit like this.

Predictably, Chris Hansen is not pleased with his portrayal. Didn't stop him from shilling his streaming channel before the movie.

Pattinson did great.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
Yorsa II
Envoy
 
Posts: 347
Founded: Aug 16, 2026
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Yorsa II » Sun Sep 27, 2026 5:50 am

I watched the Dateline NBC reports as they aired so I really want to see this To Catch a Predator movie (That show was insane back in the day. The bush cop is a notoriously hilarious moment)

I saw a of movies recently, but the last 2 were The Raid collection. These are 2 of the most violent and gory martial arts films I have ever seen. I saw the Raid 1 in theaters opening day but I didn't get to see 2. The Raid is one of the most insane martial arts films ever made. The fight choreography is legendary.

Raid 1: Cops go into an apartment high-rise that's gang controlled. Simple

Raid 2: nearly 3 hour sprawling crime story with martial arts. A M A Z I N G
Last edited by Yorsa II on Sun Sep 27, 2026 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
[She/Her] Yorsa II lore is terrible. Avoid
I: Hybrid 003 / The Heretic / The Queen
II: Hybrid 092 / Blessed Artillery / The Right Hand
III: Lt. Vulgore of the Glory / The Left Hand
IV: Hybrid 023 / The Emaciated Holy Figure / The Planet Grid
V: Hybrid 069 / Big Bow / Bull Dog Enforcer

The fires of self are never extinguished, only displaced

User avatar
Westralia
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 10
Founded: Jul 18, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Westralia » Sun Sep 27, 2026 5:52 am

Most recent movie would have been The Hot Chick. Pretty funny
Republic of Westralia
_____________________
Cygnis Insignis
Currently updating my remaining dispatches, please bear with my inaccuracies thank you :)

User avatar
Elwher
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9761
Founded: May 24, 2012
Corporate Bordello

Postby Elwher » Sun Sep 27, 2026 9:49 am

Swashbuckler
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads