NATION

PASSWORD

[Scrapped]

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Hayteria
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

[Scrapped]

Postby Hayteria » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:49 pm

I figured I'd edit this post as well, just to prove the following things were said on 6/6/2016 in case the other two threads I edited this into get obliterated. For this one you can see the OP in the replies.

A lot of what I had to say on this site was an act, often out of curiosity as to how people would respond, such as pretending to think it was always wrong to even participate in 4chan, (I think what I was expecting people to say was that it's more meaningful to figure out what makes them tick than merely wash your hands of it.) Or pretending to think that if you don't know why a given anecdote-author would lie you must assume that he or she is telling the truth. (I think what I was expecting people to say was that this was a false dichotomy because there could always be reasons one might not anticipate.)

And that's just counting examples of things I know were an act.

I felt justified in this because I had come to resent so much of the groupthink and strawmanning and jumping-to-conclusions on the part of so many others on this site, (which itself may have been an act on their part for all I know, but that wouldn't exactly be a point in their favour) and figured that if there were any sites I could feel justified lying to, it's sites that were full of people I found obnoxious, including but not limited to this site.

Incidentally, I've since done the same on sites I didn't find so obnoxious, probably out of force of habit.

Talking to specific NSG users since quitting the forum years ago, I reminded myself that at the very least there are people here who are not so obnoxious, so I regret it more than I thought I could.
Last edited by Hayteria on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 9 times in total.

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Gender issues can only be measured by what falls within standard deviation. Women and men get shit in different ways where the gender issues are concerned.
The Proclaimed Psycho on NSG
About me
I may be young, and that's okay. Since age does not always bring wisdom. I may be stubborn to the point of stupidity; but at least I fight for my beliefs. I may be fooled by a lie; but I can then say I trusted. My heart may get broken however, then I can say I truly loved. With all this said I have lived. :D

I'm politically syncretic so stop asking. :)
My political and social missions

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm utterly at a loss as to what topic of conversation this thread is supposed to promote other than "hai guys! this is what I think about this tvtropes page!"

That's.....nice? Get a blog?
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Quailtopia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quailtopia » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Wah, I should have the ability to hit someone if they're being mean to me!

What is this, Ender's Game? Get civilized and less might-makes-right.

EDIT: after rereading OP, I do have to say that relying on consistency when you're talking about sexism is absurd, since 1) the issue is pretty polarizing and 2) if two classes of people are being treated unequally, you cannot expect the marginalized to want anything less than to be in power. Lets get some Derrida up in here!
Last edited by Quailtopia on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Probably a Stalinist
Sibirsky wrote:(about the WHO)The Cuban government is not a source.
New Hampshyre wrote:Exceptionally rational poor people will quickly rise out of their poor status

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Neo Art wrote:I'm utterly at a loss as to what topic of conversation this thread is supposed to promote other than "hai guys! this is what I think about this tvtropes page!"

So here's my new theory. He's learned language somehow but is completely new to communication and is now completely fascinated by how it works and thinks that we're all new to it as well.

Perhaps, home schooled?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Hayteria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hayteria » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Neo Art wrote:I'm utterly at a loss as to what topic of conversation this thread is supposed to promote other than "hai guys! this is what I think about this tvtropes page!"

Uh, no, I'm talking about the implications of one of the anecdotes within it. Nice strawman though.

Zilam
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zilam » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Hayteria wrote:
how is it that women are classified as "weaker" than men when and only whenever it's so fucking convenient for them to get away with shit? If a Non Action Guy was verbally abusing an un-hot strong Amazon by calling her a dork, ugly, horrible, and gay, would that mean she's not allowed to hit him? Calling a girl ugly alone would get him beaten up, and witnesses would cheer the girl for it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/T ... eUnfairSex

This is basically one of the responses to the 2nd anecdote (namely, the one about a guy hitting one girl among a group of girls berating him) relating to the TV tropes concept "the unfair sex." While I'm not quite sure about the extent there, I do agree that were the genders of that anecdote reversed, the girl would probably be viewed a lot more sympathetically than the guy in this case was.

First off, I know we can't rely on its truthfulness since this is the Internet and all, but that it is even plausible carries implications all its own... whatever reasons there are for this kind of double standard consist of either the idea that women are physically weaker or that they're held to lower standards of rationality... popular opinion seems to regard either line of reasoning as unacceptable in the context of workplace discrimination, and yet seems fond of it in contexts like these. Somewhere along the line, someone abandoned consistency.

Are you posting a question for us to answer? Or are you blogging?
I'm not who I was.

The Evil Reich
Envoy

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Evil Reich » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Hayteria, I am confused what you are trying to say or ask.

If this is about who is allowed to hit who, the answer is you shouldn't hit people regardless of gender. If you are getting at something else, then you need to explain it more clearly.

Hayteria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hayteria » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:41 pm

The Evil Reich wrote:Hayteria, I am confused what you are trying to say or ask.

If this is about who is allowed to hit who, the answer is you shouldn't hit people regardless of gender. If you are getting at something else, then you need to explain it more clearly.

I thought I made myself clear enough. Yes, he shouldn't have resorted to violence. However, that the person resorting to violence would probably be regarded more sympathetically had this been a case of a girl hitting a guy reflects on the inconsistency in the logic with which society views double standards.

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Yeah, I've got the same problem. It's not clear what we're supposed to discuss.

Sometimes the 'question' or discussion topic is implied by an OP which takes a clear position itself, but this thread isn't one of those. It's not going anywhere (anywhere good) without a better example and a more clearly stated question.

It's not acceptable to punch anyone "really hard in the head" except in self-defence. I don't accept 'fighting words' as any such justification.
AKA & RIP BunnySaurus Bugsii, Lucky Bicycle Works, Mean Feat, Godforsaken Warmachine, Class Warhair, Pandarchy

I'm sure I was excited when I won and bummed when I lost, but none of that stuck. Cause I was a kid, and I was alternately stoked and bummed at pretty much any given time. -Cannot think of a name
Brown people are only scary to those whose only contribution to humanity is their white skin.Big Jim P
I am a Christian. Christianity is my Morality's base OS.DASHES
... when the Light on the Hill dims, there are Greener pastures.Ardchoille

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Hayteria wrote:

I thought I made myself clear enough. Yes, he shouldn't have resorted to violence. However, that the person resorting to violence would probably be regarded more sympathetically had this been a case of a girl hitting a guy reflects on the inconsistency in the logic with which society views double standards.

Society? They're a bunch of idiots in school.

Please, do something about the OP or you're just going to get the same complaint from poster after poster. You can't extract sweeping conclusions about "society" from such a bad example.
AKA & RIP BunnySaurus Bugsii, Lucky Bicycle Works, Mean Feat, Godforsaken Warmachine, Class Warhair, Pandarchy

I'm sure I was excited when I won and bummed when I lost, but none of that stuck. Cause I was a kid, and I was alternately stoked and bummed at pretty much any given time. -Cannot think of a name
Brown people are only scary to those whose only contribution to humanity is their white skin.Big Jim P
I am a Christian. Christianity is my Morality's base OS.DASHES
... when the Light on the Hill dims, there are Greener pastures.Ardchoille

The Evil Reich
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Evil Reich » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:54 pm

Hayteria wrote:

That's because statistically speaking violence against women is still a more common problem than violence by women. People tend to generalize and simplify to make the world less confusing, so they come up with, "Violence against women is a problem; we have to stop it!" It's basically a good concept, but like any good concept, it doesn't get applied perfectly in all cases.

In many situations, it's unclear who the victim was because there are conflicting versions of the story, so people make guesses based on what seems most likely, and those guesses are not accurate 100% of the time.
Last edited by The Evil Reich on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turmoilandia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Turmoilandia » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:25 pm

I don't view any man who defends himself or any woman who defends herself unsympathetically. If they just attack first, that is uncalled for, regardless of whether they are male or female. As far as I'm concerned, any man who doesn't defend himself when attacked is pathetic and unsympathetic.

But, then again, I am not a misogynist or a misandrist. The claim that it is somehow "wrong" for a man to defend himself when attacked by a woman is disgusting and sexist.

Gagatron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gagatron » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:25 pm

Why do you make a new topic every time you find a flaw in an argument?
God, I want to dream again,
Take me where I've never been.
I wanna go there,
This time I'm not scared.
Music, love, peace, joy, history, religion, foreign cultures, foreign language, philosophy, debating, etc.

Zilam wrote:It always strikes me funny when people always complain "If God is good, why does he allow evil to exist"....Yet when God destroys every evil person in a flood, its a bad thing.

All sin is deserving of death.

Hayteria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hayteria » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Nobel Hobos wrote:
Hayteria wrote:I thought I made myself clear enough. Yes, he shouldn't have resorted to violence. However, that the person resorting to violence would probably be regarded more sympathetically had this been a case of a girl hitting a guy reflects on the inconsistency in the logic with which society views double standards.

Society? They're a bunch of idiots in school.

Uh-huh, and where do you suppose their behaviour came out of, thin air?

As for your other post, I take it you'd agree that a girl who hits guys for "verbally abusing" her shouldn't be regarded sympathetically either, then?

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:44 pm

And I thought you had left us Neo.

Hope things have turned on the up for you. I need someone to answer my US law questions
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

The Evil Reich
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Evil Reich » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:26 pm

Gagatron wrote:Why do you make a new topic every time you find a flaw in an argument?

Because he's Hayteria and that's how he rolls. That's like asking why are you preoccupied with God or why do I post so many Nazi jokes.

Hayteria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hayteria » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:07 pm

The Evil Reich wrote:
Gagatron wrote:Why do you make a new topic every time you find a flaw in an argument?

Because he's Hayteria and that's how he rolls. That's like asking why are you preoccupied with God or why do I post so many Nazi jokes.

You think you have me all figured out, huh? If that's what you want to believe go ahead. -.-
Last edited by Hayteria on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Evil Reich
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Evil Reich » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Hayteria wrote:
The Evil Reich wrote:

You think you have me all figured out, huh? If that's what you want to believe go ahead. -.-

You post a LOT of these threads. Is it so wrong to point out a pattern?

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:58 pm

I didn't even know tvtropes had a "personal anecdotes" section. Did you know they had that?
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:06 am

Hayteria wrote:
The Evil Reich wrote:

He's going to make a thread about people on the internet who presume to know things about him, now.

Well, not NOW, but in, like, maybe 9 months, totally.
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:08 am

regarding the OP:

As a guy, you're screwed either way. If she hits you and you hit her back, 101 times out of 100, the guy's going to jail.
If she hits you and you don't hit back, odds are next time, she'll hit you w/ something harder.

My only exception is, if the girl/woman is holding a lethal weapon (a gun, knife, baseball/cricket bat, etc) and she takes a swing/stab/shot at you, then all bets are off. Self-preservation secedes proper behavior at that point.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:16 am

Qazox wrote:regarding the OP:

As a guy, you're screwed either way. If she hits you and you hit her back, 101 times out of 100, the guy's going to jail.
If she hits you and you don't hit back, odds are next time, she'll hit you w/ something harder.

My only exception is, if the girl/woman is holding a lethal weapon (a gun, knife, baseball/cricket bat, etc) and she takes a swing/stab/shot at you, then all bets are off. Self-preservation secedes proper behavior at that point.

I'm trying to decide whether you hate women, or you've just never been in close proximity to one.

Also whether you meant to use 'supersedes' there.

New Manvir
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Manvir » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:30 am

Ryadn wrote:
Qazox wrote:regarding the OP:

I'm trying to decide whether you hate women, or you've just never been in close proximity to one.

Just because someone complains that they can't hit women doesn't mean they hate women, you devilish harpy.
I am from Canada | I'm some kind of Socialist | And also Batman
"Never be deceived that the rich will permit you to vote away their wealth." - Lucy Parsons
Socialism is an economic system characterised by social ownership of the means of production and co-operative management of the economy. "Social ownership" may refer to cooperative enterprises, common ownership, state ownership, citizen ownership of equity, or any combination of these. There are many varieties of socialism and there is no single definition encapsulating all of them. They differ in the type of social ownership they advocate, the degree to which they rely on markets or planning, how management is to be organised within productive institutions, and the role of the state in constructing socialism.

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:43 am

New Manvir wrote:
Ryadn wrote:

Just because someone complains that they can't hit women doesn't mean they hate women, you devilish harpy.

The bit that really tickled me was that if you don't hit a woman back, she'll hit you with something harder!

"Well, shit, I thought that was a pretty heavy book. But since he hasn't reacted violently in return, I'd better break out the frying pans."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General