
Interview with Hopal's Chef de Mission Mack Roy
As the Games of the 18th Olympiad get set to begin in Hamilton, Electrum and Schimpol, Liventia we sat down with Hopal’s Chef de Mission Mack Roy in a wide-ranging discussion about his Olympic experiences, what to expect from this Hopalian Olympic Team, the future of Hopal at the Olympics, and more. Team Hopal returns to the Olympics for the first time in over 6 years, and to a Summer edition of those games for the first time in double that timespan. As we get set for the games, we sat down with Hopal’s Chef de Mission Mack Roy at Hopal Olympic House to help us better understand what to expect from Team Hopal both on and off of the field going forward.
Mack Roy, Chef de Mission of Team Hopal at these 18th Olympic Games. Thank you for having us here at Hopal Olympic House and for taking the time to answer our questions, Hopalians appreciate it.
It’s a pleasure, and I’m always happy to answer your questions and talk about this amazing Hopalian Olympic team that we’ve got together.
Well, thank you again for having us, we appreciate it. Let me begin with this question: What do these Olympics mean to you?
I think it means a great deal to all of us here on the Hopalian Olympian team and frankly to all Hopalians. You know, we haven’t been to the Olympics, well a Summer Olympics in over a decade and for many of these athletes it’s a dream that they thought that they would never realize. These athletes put in a lifetime of work, it’s every waking day of your life and often we don’t see the very real struggles behind all of the Olympic glory. This is the dream. The Olympics is the pinnacle of success for any athlete and I know that every single member of this team put in the lifetime of work to get here and what this means for each and every single one of them. I get emotional when I think of what these Olympics mean to me and to all of them because I know that work that goes into getting here and I know the feeling of absolute elation and fulfillment when you walk into that Olympic Stadium during the Opening Ceremony, when your lining up in your event, win or lose the rush of emotion that you get when you can call yourself an Olympian. And I’ve seen that firsthand. You know, after all of the years of drama at the Hopalian Olympic Committee and political intrigue over Hopalian sport and Olympic future, I think we all need this moment. To allow our athletes to achieve their life’s dream, to show off all the work and dedication that they’ve put into their sport, and hopefully to bring back some hardware home to Hopal. I think all Hopalians need this moment, to put aside all of the stresses and worries that the past few years have put upon us, to watch our athletes do amazing things and to come together as one to cheer them on. Bunjil was a magical moment for this country where we all came together and created some real lasting national moments and a few years ago in Globeflower and Joongyeong it was very much the same story for Hopal. I hope that we can replicate that success and create some new memories as one again. Electrum was a great host for Team Hopal the last time we were here and Liventia was all those years ago as well, though I hope we’ll see some more success this around than we did back then, but I know that we’ll have a really smooth well-run Olympics and we’re gonna have a great time here. So, I’m sorry for the bit of a long-winded response there, but that’s what I feel these Olympics mean to me and I think to all of us.
It’s no problem, we appreciate you giving us your insight, no matter how detailed it can be. If you don’t mind, I want to ask what you mentioned earlier, the issues that have surrounded the Hopalian Olympic Committee over the last few years.
Of course.
What do you have to say about the previous scandals surrounding the Hopalian Olympic Committee and their inability to field Olympic teams these past few years? And are you confident that the current iteration of the Hopalian Olympic Committee is the right one to lead Team Hopal forward?
Well, I don’t want to comment too much on the past right now. I’m the Chef de Mission of the current Hopalian Olympic delegation and my job is to look to the future and to the athletes that we have competing now. I will say however, that I think that it was deeply disappointing that we were not able to come together and field teams to some of the previous editions of the Olympics. The Hopalian Olympic Committee has sometimes in the past been a distraction and there are times where I think that the government hasn’t made the best decisions to move forward the Olympic movement in Hopal. All of these athletes work extremely hard to try to realize this dream of competing at the Olympics and some of these athletes never got the chance to properly compete and fulfill their dreams simply because of the affairs of a handful of people, and I think that is deeply disappointing. I will say however that I have full confidence in the Hopalian Olympic Committee of present. Michael Bach is an extraordinary man and administrator, you know he’s an athlete, so he knows what it’s like to be in their shoes, and I think he’ll make the right decisions for them. I worked closely with him to get this delegation together and to get to these games. You know, he’s a tennis guy, so, eh, he knows enough about rowing, not his top priority unfortunately, but he understands us well enough. All jokes aside, I think he'll be an excellent leader for the committee and an amazing representative for the Olympic movement in Hopal going forward. And Kelly Hern, she had my job at the last Olympics Hopal attending in the Eiran Mountains and Joongyeong and she did an amazing job there, so I have no doubt that she’ll continue that good work as Vice President of the Hopalian Olympic Committee. There’s an excellent team also, assembled together on the rest of the committee and so I have full faith and confidence in them going forward.
Do you think we’ll see Hopal consistently attending more Olympics?
I certainly hope so. I can’t say for sure, that’s not my job, I’m not on the Hopalian Olympic Committee. But I certainly hope so. I hope everyone rallies to ensure that happens for the athletes, for the fans, for the entire country. It’s a great thing and I hope we’ll see Team Hopal at the next Winter Games.
Alright, moving on. Earlier you talked about your job as Chef de Mission for Team Hopal at these Olympics, you elaborate more for our readers, what your job entails?
Haha, well I’m certainly lucky to have this job, I think I have the best job in all of Hopal right now. I’m basically Team Hopal’s top cheerleader, I get to attend events all across the Olympics and cheer on all of our amazing Hopalian athletes. I work with our athletes, making sure that they have everything they need to perform at their best and that they’re comfortable at these Olympics. I’m basically a counsellor to them. As a former Olympian, I know what it’s like to compete at this level, and I help them through any issues they may have. I get to meet with the athletes’ parents and that’s always the best experience, and I make sure they have a great experience and Hopalian fans do as well. It’s a great job, really.
Tell us more about your Olympic experience. What would your advice for our Olympians this year be?
It was certainly quite the experience and one that I will treasure for the rest of my life. So I’d tell anyone who has the privilege of being at the Olympics to take it all in and savor it because you really don’t know if you’re ever going to be back. Back when I was competing at the Olympics, years ago, I was in three events and was part of 2 excellent teams. I was in the Doubles Sculls with Gary Hents and the Quadruple Sculls with Bob Banjo, David Dent, and Terrence Ilko. I remember I went really hard at the beginning of the Games, I had some really good results in the early goings, I think we were in medal contention with one of our times in the Qualifying. Actually, I went the farthest with my teams, both teams got to the semifinals. I think I spent myself on all of those early runs and I just had run out of energy by the second round of my individual event. Thankfully, I had amazing teammates, and I was able to put in the work on those teams, though I was exhausted out of my mind and both teams were able to make it to their respective semifinals. My advice to all these athletes today would be to pace yourselves, that was the lesson that I learned out of those Olympics. This is a long and at times arduous tournament, you know yourself, how you perform and how to get the best results out of yourself and pace yourselves accordingly.
Let’s talk about these athletes. Whose performances are you most looking forward to and watching?
Well, of course I’m looking at Rowing. You know me. I had a hand in getting some of these athletes together and pushing them through with the Committee to the games. In particular, I’m looking at James Holiday who is in my former event in the Men’s Single Sculls where he has already broken my national Olympic record at the Saintlake Regatta. I’m definitely looking to see what he can do at these games and with any luck he’ll do much better than I ever did in Bunjil. Also on the water, Sailing which will be held nearby, this should be exciting for every Hopalian. Layla Lee, our Opening Ceremony flagbearer, all Hopalians should know her, a former Olympic Champion, she’ll be out there competing in three events. She’ll be out there competing alongside Victoria Neuhart and Ryan Lopez, who are new to all of us, but certainly talented enough to earn themselves some medals. I think we’ll be all watching that sport very closely. Also in the water, in the pool this time, that’s a sport Hopalians will always be glued to. My friend, Georgia Juan, you all know her as the most decorated Hopalian Summer Olympian of all time, she has been running the National Swimming Program for the last few years, fostering new talent. There are three Hopalian names to look out for, all youngsters: Jenny Juan, who’s Georgia’s niece, Jessie Martens, and Olivier Lemieux, hopefully this is the beginning of long successful careers ahead of them. Coming up in these next few days too are the Road Races, cycling events and we have strong Hopalians on the men’s and women’s side. Mikie Hernandez and Jasmine Karknow for the women and John Nicses and Harrison Marner for the women, look out for them. Now I also want to highlight some athletes competing over in Hamilton, in Electrum. Most of our athletes are going to be competing here in Schimpol, but I want to highlight two incredible athletes in Hamilton: Chen Li in table tennis and Coppola Barnes in the marathon. Things over there are being run for the most part by Kelly Hern, our HOC Vice President and I’m sure we’re going to see some great things over there too.
Are you setting any medal targets for this team? What are you anticipating?
I’m not going to be setting any explicit expectations. We’re back at the Olympics for the first time in a long time so I’m not going to be putting that kind of pressure on our athletes. It’s remarkable enough that we’re all here. I will say that I think that we’ll be able to match our performance in Bunjil with 6 medals and 3 of them being gold. But I’m not going to be putting the weight of an official target on them and I’ll just say, perform the best that you can and show Hopal what you’re made of, we can’t ask of you more than that.
Thank you, Mack Roy for sitting down with us and sharing your thoughts with us and with our readers.
It’s a pleasure. I’m happy to sit down with you any time.














If major event, message me



































