NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend Starblaydia

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Commend Starblaydia

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:26 pm

DISCLAIMER: If any part of this resolution has you thinking? "You know.. I'd like to give this "World Cup" stuff a try!", the NS World Cup 54 will be running soon and surely welcomes all spectators to come and watch! Click here for more information!

Commend Starblaydia

One of the harder resolutions I found to write, just because of the sheer amount of research involved to get my facts straight and whatnot. Starblaydia's career is a long and robust one that is easy to get lost in as a researcher. I've provided the resolution text and a list of references I found useful while writing this proposal. Your criticism, support and any roleplayed shenanigans would be appreciated as always — you guys and gals should know the drill by now.

Image Commend Starblaydia
A resolution to recognize outstanding contribution by a nation or region.
Category: Commendation | Nominee: Starblaydia | Proposed by: Unibot

The Security Council,

Deeply Admiring the healthy competition, spirit, sportspersonship and sense of community that a well-organized sporting event can promote,

Noting with approval Starblaydia's vast sporting successes that — at the time of this writing — includes five World Cups, six Atlantian Oceania Confederation of Association Football (AOCAF) Cups, two U21 World Cups, five Cherry Cups and the first Quidditch World Cup,

Observing the World Cup Committee — a body of nations that manages and organizes the biggest and most prestigious international sporting events in NationStates:
  • NationStates World Cup (WC),
  • The Baptism of Fire ,
  • The Cup of Harmony,
Celebrating the nominee for having — at the time of this writing — presided the World Cup Committee for fifteen world cups (also serving as the acting president during WC#52-54) in an elected position that requires dedication and integrity,

Recognizing that Starblaydia drafted the current Constitution of the World Cup Committee which replaced all previous World Cup Committee rules, standardized the KPB Rankings system as the official international ranking system for sporting, in addition to creating a legal foundation for the (1) various branches of the World Cup Committee, (2) sanctioned events hosted by the World Cup Committee, (3) process to which proposals, repeals and amendments are voted on by the World Cup Committee,

Bearing in mind that the Starblaydi Football Association (SFA) has co-hosted two World Cup tournaments (WC#20/40), with the latter being held while the SFA also hosted the corresponding Baptism of Fire and the Cup of Harmony,

Expressing its satisfaction with Starblaydia’s reestablishment of an Under-21 World Cup tournament that is now referred to as the “Di Bradini Cup” — named after the Starblaydi former football player, manager and president of the World Cup Committee (during WC#25-27),

Approving of the nominee’s demonstrated readiness to share its expertise with fledgling football associations that are considering playing at the international level,

Further Approving of the helpful advice that Starblaydia has provided to competition organizers on how their sports can achieve equivalent success to the World Cup,

Noting that without Starblaydia’s leadership, dedication, integrity and impartiality, the world would not be as united as it is today with the passions, spirit and sportspersonship of international sport,

Further Noting that the World Assembly sympathizes with these ideals and is honored to commemorate any nominee that devotes so much time and effort to them as Starblaydia has,

Hereby Commends Starblaydia.

References

Last edited by Sedgistan on Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:07 am, edited 17 times in total.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Wholeheartedly support.

Only thing I would change - and it is minor - would be "as of late" changed to "at the time of this writing"
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:24 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:Only thing I would change - and it is minor - would be "as of late" changed to "at the time of this writing"

Righto. Thanks.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Unibot wrote:
Todd McCloud wrote:Only thing I would change - and it is minor - would be "as of late" changed to "at the time of this writing"

Righto. Thanks.

No problem. Otherwise it looks good to me. Nice job.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:11 am

Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Unibotian WA Mission
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WA Mission » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:51 am

Bears Armed wrote:"Hr'rmm?"

I've seen it, and already linked it in my references, but it wasn't very useful for the composition of this... a lot of the facts were outdated in it.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote: Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:23 pm

Noting that without Starblaydia’s leadership, dedication, integrity and impartiality, the world would not be as united as it is today with the passions, spirit and sportsmanship of international sporting,

Stylistically, I think "... of international sport" sounds better. As it is, while I understand your meaning, it seems grammatically incorrect.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:13 pm

Kelssek wrote:
Noting that without Starblaydia’s leadership, dedication, integrity and impartiality, the world would not be as united as it is today with the passions, spirit and sportsmanship of international sporting,

Stylistically, I think "... of international sport" sounds better. As it is, while I understand your meaning, it seems grammatically incorrect.

Alrighty, it's been added.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:23 pm

Anymore concerns?

Newmanistan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2005
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Newmanistan » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:15 am

I'm not active in the WA anymore, but I would like to see something to this effect added (taken from my West Newmanistan draft):

d) Assists organizers of competitions in other sports other then World Cup, providing helpful advice on how their sport can achieve equivalent success. This has occurred now in other major sports

Your whole draft is World Cup, World Cup, World Cup. There is more to NS Sports then the World Cup and Starblaydia has been willing to help hosts in other sports as well. He might not remember, but he was helpful in my organization of the World Bowl even though he doesn't play the competition. I've seen him help others in other competitions.
Last edited by Newmanistan on Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Six-time World Baseball Classic Champions
Now just here to run NSSCRA. Thank you to the community for all the fun in other sports.
NEWMANISTAN SPORTING ACHIEVEMENTS:
CHAMPIONSHIPS: DBC 4; 27th BoF; CoH 34, 36, & 37; Oxen Cup 12; WBC 10, 12, 15, 17, 41, & 43; IBC 4, 5, & 29; CE 26; WLC 1
Runner Up: DBC 5 & 6; Oxen Cup 6; WBC 7,9 11, 14, & 45; IBC 1; WB 4, 6 & 34; WLC 2 & 3
World Cups qualified for: 46, 48 (R of 16), 49, 50, 54
Hosted: WORLD CUP 49, WB 1, 2, 5, & 35; WBC 8, 11, 14, 19, 38, 44, & 46; CoH 33, 35, & 39; CE 25, WLC 2, 4 & 5; WCoH 10, IBC 24, NSSCRA, Multiple NSCAA Basketball Tournaments, and a horse racing series

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:40 am

Why am I unsurprised that Unibot would write a proposal that is only interested in lauding 'sportsmanship'. :roll:

I also feel a bit more emphasis on Star's roleplaying might be good. To tell you the truth I think more NS Sporters appreciate that, than they do the constitutional intricacies of his executive role.
Last edited by Quintessence of Dust on Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The fight is long and tough, but together, we can make it. -- José Carlos Mariátegui

Two kinds of pork in one soup? Bring it on. -- Christina Hendricks

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:27 am

Newmanistan wrote:I'm not active in the WA anymore, but I would like to see something to this effect added (taken from my West Newmanistan draft):

d) Assists organizers of competitions in other sports other then World Cup, providing helpful advice on how their sport can achieve equivalent success. This has occurred now in other major sports

Your whole draft is World Cup, World Cup, World Cup. There is more to NS Sports then the World Cup and Starblaydia has been willing to help hosts in other sports as well. He might not remember, but he was helpful in my organization of the World Bowl even though he doesn't play the competition. I've seen him help others in other competitions.

Okay, I could add something like that, but it'll be vague like your resolution, because honestly, without Jolt up, it would be pain to try to research and find a comprehensive list of all the sporting events he has helped host. So I'll take your word for it and put something similar in this resolution.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:37 am

Quintessence of Dust wrote:Why am I unsurprised that Unibot would write a proposal that is only interested in lauding 'sportsmanship'. :roll:

Sorry, blame English's patriarchal diction. I will replace it with sportspersonship -- if you've got any more concerns about the diction that I've missed, don't hesitate to comment.

I also feel a bit more emphasis on Star's roleplaying might be good. To tell you the truth I think more NS Sporters appreciate that, than they do the constitutional intricacies of his executive role.

Frankly, I'd agree but Rule IV prevents me from commending Star because his/her roleplaying is great, so I can't exactly delve into Star's rich football history.. and then not have something to explain those actions as above and beyond. But this was also a concern of mine, so I might just include a clause with some of Star's team accomplishments, without going into depth on the 'quality' of his/her roleplays (because of R4), but the resolution won't be focused on his team's accomplishments as much as Star's contributions to the NS-Sports community in helping to organize it.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:45 am

Unibot wrote:
Quintessence of Dust wrote:Why am I unsurprised that Unibot would write a proposal that is only interested in lauding 'sportsmanship'. :roll:

Sorry, blame English's patriarchal diction. I will replace it with sportspersonship -- if you've got any more concerns about the diction that I've missed, don't hesitate to comment.

Note the clause in question:
Deeply Admiring the healthy competition, spirit, sportspersonship and sense of community between nations that a well-organized sporting event can promote,

Underlining is mine.

Sportsmanship, despite its origins, is a term used widely to refer to good sporting conduct in general. It can therefore be used to refer to good sporting conduct between nations. Sportspersonship, however, is a term used to refer specifically to good sporting conduct between people (with the intention of including women as well as men). It doesn't have the wider meaning that sportsmanship does, and if used to refer to competition between nations, would fall foul of Rule 4.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:47 am

Sedgistan wrote:
Unibot wrote:

Note the clause in question:
Deeply Admiring the healthy competition, spirit, sportspersonship and sense of community between nations that a well-organized sporting event can promote,

Underlining is mine.

Sportsmanship, despite its origins, is a term used widely to refer to good sporting conduct in general. It can therefore be used to refer to good sporting conduct between nations. Sportspersonship, however, is a term used to refer specifically to good sporting conduct between people (with the intention of including women as well as men). It doesn't have the wider meaning that sportsmanship does, and if used to refer to competition between nations, would fall foul of Rule 4.

Okay, I will hesistantly change it back to Sportsmanship. Dahm Patriarchal Rule IV!

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:45 pm

Unibot wrote:Okay, I will hesistantly change it back to Sportsmanship.
Why - do you always unthinkingly accept the baseless, randomly prescriptivist assertions of fly-by posters? If so, this suggests a certain malleability of your character that is probably not suited to the demands of writing (what loosely postures as) international law.
The fight is long and tough, but together, we can make it. -- José Carlos Mariátegui

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:34 pm

Quintessence of Dust wrote:
Unibot wrote:Okay, I will hesistantly change it back to Sportsmanship.
Why - do you always unthinkingly accept the baseless, randomly prescriptivist assertions of fly-by posters? If so, this suggests a certain malleability of your character that is probably not suited to the demands of writing (what loosely postures as) international law.

When you say posters are you referring to the person, a poster? The occupation, poster? Or the object, poster? Because I argued with Sedge for about a month over the legality of the word, "poster", in regards to Rule IV's legality.. maybe I've just come to the conclusion that the mods are pretty sure about their rulings and aren't going to change their rules just because one of us have a different understanding of the word. If you have another word to replace sportsmanship or sportspersonship... please offer it. "Sportspersonship" was my suggestion, perhaps, comradery? Except, you're sports-people not communists.

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:48 pm

Unibot wrote:
Quintessence of Dust wrote:Why - do you always unthinkingly accept the baseless, randomly prescriptivist assertions of fly-by posters? If so, this suggests a certain malleability of your character that is probably not suited to the demands of writing (what loosely postures as) international law.
When you say posters are you referring to the person, a poster? The occupation, poster? Or the object, poster? Because I argued with Sedge for about a month over the legality of the word, "poster", in regards to Rule IV's legality.. maybe I've just come to the conclusion that the mods are pretty sure about their rulings and aren't going to change their rules just because one of us have a different understanding of the word.
What? 'Poster' means 'someone who posts on an Internet message board'...
If you have another word to replace sportsmanship or sportspersonship... please offer it.
I don't, because I think 'sportspersonship' is a perfectly sensible term. Sedge's assertion that it is not is provided without evidence or substantiation; furthermore, there is no reason here to use gender specific terminology.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:52 pm

Unibot wrote:When you say posters are you referring to the person, a poster? The occupation, poster? Or the object, poster? Because I argued with Sedge for about a month over the legality of the word, "poster", in regards to Rule IV's legality.. maybe I've just come to the conclusion that the mods are pretty sure about their rulings and aren't going to change their rules just because one of us have a different understanding of the word.
If you have another word to replace sportsmanship or sportspersonship... please offer it.
I don't, because I think 'sportspersonship' is a perfectly sensible term. Sedge's assertion that it is not is provided without evidence or substantiation; furthermore, there is no reason here to use gender specific terminology.

Okay, I know how to get around this. Give me a sec.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Unibot wrote:When you say posters are you referring to the person, a poster? The occupation, poster? Or the object, poster? Because I argued with Sedge for about a month over the legality of the word, "poster", in regards to Rule IV's legality.. maybe I've just come to the conclusion that the mods are pretty sure about their rulings and aren't going to change their rules just because one of us have a different understanding of the word.

Poster \Post"er\, n.

1. A large bill or placard intended to be posted in public places. [1913 Webster]

2. One who posts bills; a billposter. [1913 Webster]

Source: The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48

1. One who posts, or travels expeditiously; a courier. "Posters of the sea and land." --Shak. [1913 Webster]

2. A post horse. "Posters at full gallop." --C. Lever. [1913 Webster]

Source: The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48

Anyway, Sedge's compliant was that sportspersonship could not happen between nations, so, I have removed the comment that this was between nations.
Last edited by Unibot on Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Let's not have the 'poster' debate here, please? The change to the 'Deeply Admiring' clause is fine.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:54 am

The endorsement of Minoa (Charlotte Ryberg) has placed your proposal in queue. Good luck!

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The endorsement of Minoa (Charlotte Ryberg) has placed your proposal in queue. Good luck!

Well done!

Herrebrugh
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Herrebrugh » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:58 pm

I don't think we should commend a dictatorship. We would send out the wrong message.
Uyt naem Zijner Majeſteyt Jozef III, bij de gratie Godts, Koningh der Herrebrugheylanden, Prins van Rheda, Heer van Jozefslandt, enz. enz. enz.
Im Namen Seiner Majeſtät Joſeph III., von Gottes Gnaden König der Herrenbrückinſeln, Prinz von Rheda, Herr von Josephsland etc. etc. etc.

The Factbook of the Kingdom of the Herrebrugh Islands
Where the Website-Style Factbook Originated!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives