NATION

PASSWORD

USA & The Metric System

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you be in favor of the metrication in the USA ???

Yes
66%
No
26%
Other
8%

Total votes : 142

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: USA & The Metric System

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:12 am

Braaainsss wrote:Whuh? Are you on LSD or something?

What do you think the "eternal mystery" is, an actual profound state of being? :rofl:
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:13 am

Parthenon wrote:Unless you are using it for mathmatical or scientific purposes the metric system is pretty damn shitty.

I am 6'3'', not 1.90500 meters

I have one tablespoon of vanilla, not 14.7867648 milliliters. or 1.47867648 centiliters

There is 10 yards in a first down, not 9.14400 meters

Houses have square footage, not square decimeters.

Why would you write 1.90500, why not 1.905?

Or even 1.9 metres is what you would say
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Ring of Isengard
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ring of Isengard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:21 am

Chrobalta wrote:I find myself wondering, why the hell is the U.S. not on the Metric system?

Cos it's work of the devil ( it was made by a froggie). It's horrible - km - wtf are km? Miles are far better. Kgs? Kgs suck.
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count (+puppet)

Europe was created by history. America was created by philosophy - Maggie T

The Orion Federation (Ancient)
Attaché

Founded: Aug 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Orion Federation (Ancient) » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:33 am

Fassitude wrote:And yet I have a far higher quality of life, I am healthier, will live longer and stay healthier during those extra years, will see fewer of my children (should I choose to get them) die and be maimed, am much freer than I would be in the USA, run a much lower risk of being stricken with poverty, have a much higher level of social class motion and so on. You see, the USA really isn't that impressive. Sure you've money, but fritter away and waste it, leaving your social divides not divides, but chasms and so on. I know you're probably used to being able to impress a Mexican with the "greatness" of the USA. You'll see it's not so easy when you try to do so with someone who actually lives in a developed country.

I stopped reading right here, because this is actually quite ludicrous. First of all, we rank 180th in infant mortality at 6.26 deaths per 1,000 births. Our life expectancy is "50." However, our life expectancy is 78.11 years. Know what the number 1 country life expenctancy that is NOT a so-called "entity" (such as Macau) and is a respectable nation with a respectable population? It is Japan, at 82.07. They are ranked number 2 in the world. France is the number 1 European country, ranked at number 7, and their life expectancy is 80.87. Then come a bunch of European countries right down to the US. So, between number 50, and number 2, life expectancy only drops by a little under 4 years.

But, when comparing to the US to other countries, we have the fourth largest population in the world. The larger the population, the more the average will be brought down. Anyone who is into sports knows this. The more a batter comes to the plate, the more his BA will slowly decline throughout the season. So, to be fair, let us take the EU.

The European Union, if it were its own nation, would be ranked number 38 at 78.7 years. 78.7 years for the EU, compared to 78.11 years for the US. Really, not a whole lot of difference at all. In fact, that is quite negligable. So you;re claim that you "will live longer, and be healthier" has been debunked.

Let us continue with this little study, shall we?

We have a 99% literacy rate. Tied with 23 other countries in 17th place. 23 nations are tied in 17th in literacy. Again, this is comparing a nation with the 4th highest population in the world. But literacy rate is something that SHOULD be at 99% or better, no matter what country it is here in the 21st century.

Our GDP is the largest (nominal) in the world.
10th highest per capita. However, the 9 nations ahead of us hardly count, for they consist of countries such as Qatar, Luxembourgh, Norway, Singapore, Brunei, "Jersey" (not even an official nations), Kuwait, Bermuda, and Lichtenstein. The only "respectable" nations in there in this comparison are Norway, Luxembourg, and perhaps Lichtenstein. But those populations, even Norway, are barely larger than 3 of our largest cities combined. So yes, on average, economically speaking, Americans have a much larger, better well-off middle class. (There are other indicators I could use here as well, but this post is already getting far too long.)

We are the number 1 producer and consumer of electricity. Number 3 producer of oil, number 1 consumer of oil. USA ranks 20th in oil exports. We are number 12 in proven oil reserves. All the statistics in natural gas we rank between 1st and 8th.

Our currency is still the most widely used currency in the world, despite how much the EU has been trying to get their currency out on the market. Also, despite that the EU is worth more than the $, the $ is still the most desirable currency in the world.

We have the best communications systems in the world. The most mobile phones, satillites, internet hosts, and etc.

We have the best transportation system in the world. Between airports, trains, buses, boats/ships, etc.

Of course, our military is the strongest. All categories we rank number 1, with the exception of percentage spent on military budget per GDP. We are 28th in that regard.

And last, but not least, we are surrounded by the largest oceans in the world, with the longest peaceful land borders in the world.

Now, onto sports:

Obviously, we are the dominant sports mecca in the world. Despite not being our national game, our soccer teams, mens and women's, make it into the world cup every 4 years without fail. And in 2006, we got to the semi-finals. (I was REALLY hoping for an Italy-US matchup that year, but at least Italy ended up taking it. :) )

We have the best baseball league, football league, hockey league, swimming program, one of the finest gymnastics programs, car racing....stock car, indy, and F1, and etc, Hell, let's face it, we are the most athletic nation on the planet. Sure, China beat us out last summer in medal count, but it was also their home turf, and they were training TIRELESSLY, being completely driven to beat the US. The US Olympic committee just went about its normal thing.

Historically, we were the very first modern nation to successfully have a democratic, republican government with broad civil rights, which only became much broader, and more prevalent throughout it;s history. The last time war has touched our shores was in 1865 (1880s and 90s if you consider the native americans. The Spanish-American war of 1899 hardly counts, since it never touched our shores LOL.)

We invented the practical use of the skyscraper, the production of automobiles, computers, and the internet. Landed a man on the moon, and more recently, exploring Mars (with some international support, of course lol.)

The greatest scientific minds were American....Albert Einstein, and Stephen Hawkings. Not to mention the great Charles Darwin. In fact, our science has always been unrivaled. Now Japan and a couple of European countries are closing the gap on us. (btw, I realize Einstein was born in Germany, but he moved to American, and became a citizen, so he died an American.)

And seriously, if not for the US, then Europe would have arguable eventually been overrun by the Nazis. If not, it would have been over run by the Soviets, for the Soviets probably would have defeated the Nazis eventually, after millions of extra deaths. Which means they would have had ot come as far west as France, in order to eradicate those bastards completely. And you know the Soviets would have just occupied France then, instead. Not to metion the rest of Europe further east.

Japan could eventually have conquered Australia, and kept China under its thumb for hall of a lot longer if the US didn't go around blowing up Jap ships. South Korea would be unified under Kim Jong Il, and his nuclear madness.

Here in the 21str century, the USA just has so much more.....to DO. I mean vacation/entertainment-wise, than Europe as a whole. Yes, I been to Europe myself. Twice actually. And while the history, and the museums, and archeteral wonders are unrivaled, the landscape itself offers very little in the way of outdoorsmanship. We have forests, deserts, moutains, oceans, lakes. I know Europe sports all of that as well, but let's be real. The natural diversity in the USA offers so much more.

lol, anyway, done rambling. The WHOLE point is that there really is no reason for Europeans to be hating on the US as much as they do. Europeans are just as obnoxious as Americans can be.

Actually, I have a story about the obnoxiousness of the French. But I think I will save that for later.

Braaainsss
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Braaainsss » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:37 am

The Orion Federation wrote:<snip>
The greatest scientific minds were American....Albert Einstein, and Stephen Hawkings. Not to mention the great Charles Darwin. In fact, our science has always been unrivaled. Now Japan and a couple of European countries are closing the gap on us. (btw, I realize Einstein was born in Germany, but he moved to American, and became a citizen, so he died an American.)<snip>

lol

None of that makes the American system of measurement any more logical.

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:39 am

The Orion Federation wrote:
The greatest scientific minds were American....Albert Einstein, and Stephen Hawkings. Not to mention the great Charles Darwin. In fact, our science has always been unrivaled. Now Japan and a couple of European countries are closing the gap on us. (btw, I realize Einstein was born in Germany, but he moved to American, and became a citizen, so he died an American.)

I read until there, and then the pain forced me to stop....

Yes, Einstein was German, thanks for actually realising that.
Stephen Hawkins is British, as was Charles Darwin.

Please, please, please, please, please... if you go on a rant like that, try not to discredit the US education system in such a way and check your facts before posting.
There were shitloads of other errors in your post, but I seriously can't be arsed to point them all out.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:42 am

The Orion Federation wrote:The greatest scientific minds were American....Albert Einstein, and Stephen Hawkings. Not to mention the great Charles Darwin. In fact, our science has always been unrivaled. Now Japan and a couple of European countries are closing the gap on us. (btw, I realize Einstein was born in Germany, but he moved to American, and became a citizen, so he died an American.)

Hawking = Not American, is British

Charles Darwin = Not American, was British

Actually, if you want to look at the majority of physics discoveries before the 20th century, you'd look at Britain and France.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Ring of Isengard
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ring of Isengard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:44 am

The Orion Federation wrote:<snip>
The greatest scientific minds were American....Albert Einstein, and Stephen Hawkings. Not to mention the great Charles Darwin. In fact, our science has always been unrivaled. Now Japan and a couple of European countries are closing the gap on us. (btw, I realize Einstein was born in Germany, but he moved to American, and became a citizen, so he died an American.)<snip>

What are you chatting about? Darwin and Hawkings are British. Einstein - is a hun. Britain (infact allot of European countries) have given far more to the scientific world than the yanks.
CI

Kusatsu
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kusatsu » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:48 am

The Orion Federation wrote:Japan could eventually have conquered Australia, and kept China under its thumb for hall of a lot longer if the US didn't go around blowing up Jap ships. South Korea would be unified under Kim Jong Il, and his nuclear madness.

:rofl:

Kim Jong Il, he was an enemy of the Japanese... if Japan had managed to keep their empire intact, Kim Jong Il would never have become their leader, and if memory serves correct, he was born in Russia. So he would never step foot in Korea in his lifetime if Japan still held their empire.

I could tear the rest of your post apart, but I'll let others do that, This is just one thing I don't think anybody else would have noticed.
Proud Member of the Corporate Fascist Party
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10701&start=0

Ring of Isengard
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ring of Isengard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:11 am

Okay, I'm fairly sick of yanks and their superiority complex. So, I'm gonna pick some of this shit apart piece by piece.
The Orion Federation wrote:

Our currency is still the most widely used currency in the world, despite how much the EU has been trying to get their currency out on the market. Also, despite that the EU is worth more than the $, the $ is still the most desirable currency in the world.

I take it you mean the Euro.

Of course, our military is the strongest. All categories we rank number 1, with the exception of percentage spent on military budget per GDP. We are 28th in that regard.

And yet you fail to beat the tiny, under-funded vietnameese?

Now, onto sports:

Obviously, we are the dominant sports mecca in the world. Despite not being our national game, our soccer teams, mens and women's, make it into the world cup every 4 years without fail. And in 2006, we got to the semi-finals. (I was REALLY hoping for an Italy-US matchup that year, but at least Italy ended up taking it. :) )

The US suck at football - you don't even call it by the corret name. :palm:
We have the best baseball league, football league, hockey league, swimming program, one of the finest gymnastics programs, car racing....stock car, indy,

Perhaps becuase most of the rest of the world don't play those sports ( and if they do - they're not big)

and F1, and etc,

Wut? :blink:

Hell, let's face it, we are the most athletic nation on the planet. Sure, China beat us out last summer in medal count, but it was also their home turf, and they were training TIRELESSLY, being completely driven to beat the US. The US Olympic committee just went about its normal thing.

Maybe cos you have almost infinate money to spend on them and have a massive population. Whereas the UK has neither of those things and still came 4th.

Historically, we were the very first modern nation to successfully have a democratic, republican government with broad civil rights,

Except for blacks, women and later immigrants.

computers,

No, just no.

I've already said that's bullshit.

And seriously, if not for the US, then Europe would have arguable eventually been overrun by the Nazis.

Bullshit.

Japan could eventually have conquered Australia, and kept China under its thumb for hall of a lot longer if the US didn't go around blowing up Jap ships. South Korea would be unified under Kim Jong Il, and his nuclear madness.

Bullshit.

The natural diversity in the USA offers so much more.

More than a whole continent?

lol, anyway, done rambling. The WHOLE point is that there really is no reason for Europeans to be hating on the US as much as they do.
[/quote]

There is - you guys fuck up time and time again.
Last edited by Ring of Isengard on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
CI

Tyraus
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tyraus » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:26 am

Metric system, you say?

Gahlsteria
Secretary

Founded: Apr 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gahlsteria » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:54 am

Parthenon wrote:Unless you are using it for mathmatical or scientific purposes the metric system is pretty damn shitty.

I have one tablespoon of vanilla, not 14.7867648 milliliters. or 1.47867648 centiliters

When you grow, do you pop an inch each time? ;) Why the need for the last two zeros? Why write ' and " when you write meter? You should rather write ', " and m or foot, inches, meters.

A tablespoon is not meant to be exact, so one can also say it's 15 ml or 1,5 cl.

You mean in the football sport where you handle the ball more with your hands then your feet, aka American football in the rest of the world? wonder why... :roll: And it's 100 meter dash/butterfly, not 109,36 yards(cba to convert the 0,36 yards into foot and inches :blink: ), or do you swim/run one distance while at home but another one when it's time for a international competition?

We actually use m2 and not dm2, the later would be unnecessarily precise. ;)

Gahlsteria
Secretary

Founded: Apr 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gahlsteria » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:03 am

Parthenon wrote:
Vaarshire wrote:
Parthenon wrote:Stereotyping, how quaint.

That, of course, is the important thing about my post. The fact that I used stereotypes in my example. That invalidates all of my points, right?

No, but the fact that you chose a gun toting, blue collar, truck driving citizen to be the subject of your demagogy when advocating a move to the metric system indicates to me that you are from the feel good liberal crowd that thinks that buying into something because europe and other "free-thinking" places do it it must be better...

I was under the impression that you didn't like when others made stereotypes...

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:05 am

I really don't see the big deal. People in the US like US customary units. It's not like they force anyone else to use them (yet).
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:41 am

Chrobalta wrote:The only other countries not on the Metric system are Liberia and Burma - Third World Countries.

And the UK. We still use Imperial measurements for most things. Notice how we aren't a 3rd world country, and think before you start talking shit. Although you are a fucking retard, so that might be hard.
Original join date March 25th 2008, bitches!
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.12

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 am

Fassitude wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Yet a bunch of Europeans still move here.

And a bunch of people from the USA move from the USA. It's as if this global village of ours were... global... and migratory patterns multivariate and highly individual... intriguing and complex, so one could see how you were stumped.

Sibirsky wrote:
Fassitude wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Yet a bunch of Europeans still move here.

And a bunch of people from the USA move from the USA. It's as if this global village of ours were... global... and migratory patterns multivariate and highly individual... intriguing and complex, so one could see how you were stumped.

Far more Europeans move to the US than Americans to Europe. Even now. Look we can keep this up forever. Bottom line, you seem to be happy where you are. Good for you. I am happy for you. I am also happy here in the US and, at least at this point in time would not want to live elsewhere, at least on a permanent basis.

Or y'know, you're both being ridiculous and both are nice places to live if you've got the means for it. But of course that can't be right, that would be too reasonable.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:09 am

The Orion Federation wrote:Obviously, we are the dominant sports mecca in the world. Despite not being our national game, our soccer teams, mens and women's, make it into the world cup every 4 years without fail. And in 2006, we got to the semi-finals. (I was REALLY hoping for an Italy-US matchup that year, but at least Italy ended up taking it.

Not really that hard when you are in CONCAF and your main rival to stop you from getting in is Mexico, you are competing against the likes of Jamaica and Canada hardly stellar soccer nations.

We have the best baseball league, football league, hockey league, swimming program, one of the finest gymnastics programs, car racing....stock car, indy, and F1

Now who is making stuff up?

EDIT: Oh and Darwin and Hawking are both Englishmen not American and Einstien was a German though he did move to America later on.
Last edited by Blouman Empire on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Americama
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Americama » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:14 am

The Metric system is European Imperialism against the U.S. We dotn have to do something just because its modern.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:20 am

Americama wrote:The Metric system is European Imperialism against the U.S. We dotn have to do something just because its modern.

:rofl:
You do realise that the IMPERIAL system you are using at the moment has a bit of a telling name, don't you?
You know, as in "British Imperialism"?
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:22 am

Cabra West wrote: :rofl:
You do realise that the IMPERIAL system you are using at the moment has a bit of a telling name, don't you?

Except the US doesn't use Imperial Measurements.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Ring of Isengard
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ring of Isengard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:24 am

No Names Left Damn It wrote:
Chrobalta wrote:The only other countries not on the Metric system are Liberia and Burma - Third World Countries.

And the UK. We still use Imperial measurements for most things. Notice how we aren't a 3rd world country, and think before you start talking shit. Although you are a fucking retard, so that might be hard.

Well, we are halfway to using metric. :(
CI

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:25 am

Lacadaemon wrote:
Cabra West wrote: :rofl:

Except the US doesn't use Imperial Measurements.

Could have fooled me :

wiki wrote:The United States customary system of units of measurement (also called the English, Imperial or American) is the most commonly used system of measurement in the United States...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units
Last edited by Cabra West on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Vetinari

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:31 am

Blouman Empire wrote:

Why would you write 1.90500, why not 1.905?

Or even 1.9 metres is what you would say

Simple: Because making it seem more complicated than it really is helps to justify his position. ...in his own mind. :)
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:32 am

Cabra West wrote:Could have fooled me :

It shares *some* units. But it's a different system. Not all the similar named units are the same either. The US gallon and pint are smaller. The Imperial system doesn't have quarts &c. USCS doesn't have the stone - just uses pounds. The tonnes are different.

And technically - though the difference is hardly noticeable - the inches, yards and miles are all very slightly different, with the Imperial measurements being slightly larger.

(And I'm not sure, but I don't think Imperial uses the peck, rather fluid Oz. for measurement of dry volume).

Edit: The cwt is different too.
Last edited by Lacadaemon on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:37 am

Lacadaemon wrote:
Cabra West wrote:Could have fooled me :

It shares *some* units. But it's a different system. Not all the similar named units are the same either. The US gallon and pint are smaller. The Imperial system doesn't have quarts &c. USCS doesn't have the stone - just uses pounds. The tonnes are different.

And technically - though the difference is hardly noticeable - the inches, yards and miles are all very slightly different, with the Imperial measurements being slightly larger.

(And I'm not sure, but I don't think Imperial uses the peck, rather fluid Oz. for measurement of dry volume).

Essentially, none of these points change the fact that the system was taken over from the British Imperial system. So to claim that you don't want to take on the Metric System because it's just European Imperialism as that poster did is just, well, bollocks.

Lord Vetinari

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General