NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Track to the Future

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Ignivacuos
Civilian

Founded: Jun 18, 2022
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Track to the Future

Postby Ignivacuos » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:02 am

Recently, a cruise ship thought to be lost three years ago docked in port. The people aboard seemed to have not aged a second and have emerged unscathed, sending the entire nation of @@NAME@@ buzzing with excitement. However, part of the population seem to be split on how to handle the returning people.

Choice 1:
"I can't wait for the government to let them back to the public! I miss the good times with @@RANDOM_FIRST_NAME@@. What do you think of a bit of a welcoming gift, an iPad or a bouquet of flowers?" @@RANDOM_NAME@@, a friend of one of the people lost at sea, asked, raising both gifts in his hand.

Aftermath 1:
Several people among the public distrust and discriminate against the passengers out of fear of being probed in their spaceships.

Choice 2:
"Well, we should obviously run them through testing!" @@RANDOM_NAME@@, a senior researcher at Grand Conjunction Laboratory cried excitedly, nearly breaking a monitor with their clipboard. "Thorough testing! Vigorous testing! All sorts of tests! If we can find out how they managed to travel through time, we could bend the entire world to our will! Think of the possibilities! Of course, this will require some government funding to not only research them, as well as cover up the story, but surely the family of a few people doesn't matter when we could possibly become gods, right?!"

Aftermath 2:
Riots begin, but are never a big problem because half the population is conveniently stuck with allergic reactions planted in their homes.

Choice 3:
"ALIENS!" shouts @@RANDOM_NAME@@, one of your xenophobic chief military officers while idly firing blanks into the ceiling. "THERE'S NO OTHER EXPLANATION! We need to exterminate these outsiders and scuttle the boat! Who knows whether those are even the same people?! Not only should we kill and examine these parasites' forms, but we should also divert large funds into police and military to look for more parasites and crack down on immigration!"

Aftermath 3:
Neighbors with loud dogs can be reported as aliens and taken away for weeks.

All choices are suitable for all nations I think.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:32 am

The NationStates universe has dealt with some bizarre and unusual stuff, but I'm wondering whether this is a workable premise for an issue draft. It's a fun idea, but perhaps a little bit too much out there.

What I would suggest is a small course adjustment: instead of presenting the event as fact, have it be the main question of the issue, namely whether the boat and passengers actually are what they say they are. You could have each speaker question the veracity of the story, and then have each suggest what to do with the passengers. One speaker could say that it's Bigtopian refugees trying to make it into @@NATION@@ illegaly with an elaborate scheme, and so they'd suggest sending them back. Another could be a scientist who has heard of the phenomenon, and wishes to take the people to a lab to study them. I'm just spitballing here, but hopefully you see what direction I'm suggesting :)
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:05 am

Why would an entire boat of people disappear for three years? Time travel or no time travel, why would so many people disappear for that long? I think the government would be more concerned with establishing a motive
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Return to Got Issues?