NATION

PASSWORD

A Matter of Pride (Closed to Teremara)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
San Rosito
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 28, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby San Rosito » Wed May 25, 2022 6:50 pm

An Introduction

This RP picks up a bit of time after where En Este Rincón left off. The small Western Madurinite-heavy TSO contingent of advisors and peacekeepers, along with some other Teremaran personnel, were recalled back home after efforts against the drug cartels stagnated in San Rosito, despite the ‘helpful’ regime’s seeming cooperation.

Reino Do Brazil, previously kept in check by their allies in the TSO from direct military intervention, has finally reached a boiling point with their southern neighbor. Nothing has changed, and if anything, the issue has gotten worse after the TSO operation. San Rositan narcotics continue to flow over the border, drawing the unwilling Brazilians into the drug pipeline and inviting the ire of the region and beyond. Now, the Kingdom of Brazil has decided it must act once and for all to stop the cartels, and possibly the Council (Junta) if they won’t cooperate.

Residencia Presidencial
Puerto Cristal
Distrito Capital
Jaragupta

What the distinguished leaders sitting in the main parlor of the Presidential Residency had in common was many years of experience running the Republic. What they also had in common was none of them having served any term as the actual President of the Republic, or any elected position, for that matter. They were all self-appointed or brought into power by the others in that very room. The last actual sitting President had been Alejandro Belino, succeeding Renaldo Jaldavaro fifteen years before that, with a lot of years of Council rule in-between and after.

These were the men of the Consejo de Seguridad y Gobernanza (Council of Security & Governance). All old males; all with more medals than your average soldier, sailor, or pilot could earn in a lifetime; all in uniforms tailor made, long since replacing their issued uniforms when they had achieved the highest ranks in their respective services.

Foreign Minister Javier Fuentes, in contrast, while not elected, had been appointed to his position based on his merits. True, the Generals and Admiral had served decades in the military, but they had long since given up respect for experience for privilege, having greased at least the last decade on dirty money, but also on fear. The fear put into those who might cross them.
The cartels had their sicarios, but the Council had their Sombra Negra death squads.

Even appointed government officials weren’t above the justice of the Council’s squads, so men like Minister Fuentes tread carefully.
“Sirs, it is an honor to be in your presence once again.”

General Gabriel Pedro Elizondo waved a hand, as if in annoyance. In reality, he would never want the praise to stop, but there was a lot of business to get to and the sugar coating would get in the way.
“You have more to report, Minister?”

“Yes, General. I have talked over video chat with my counterparts in New Frontier (Reino do Brazil’s capital) about recent events. They don’t want this to escalate to something that can’t be drawn back, as much as we don't…”

Admiral Jose Monsalve snorted.
“Who says we don’t want to escalate? Finally a chance to teach those pigs a lesson when we are in a position to do so.”

General Daniel Guarjeto, the PF Commander and lowest ranked of the Council, agreed.
“We’ve built up for a long time to finally put an end to their bullying.”

Fuentes cautioned,
“Sirs, they are, of course, aware of the military program to modernize here. That’s part of why they are quick to get us to talk diplomacy to resolve our differences. We don’t actually need to use our might, just flex it, right? That was the point, I thought?”

General Juan Garcia Arenas, the Air Force chief, scoffed,
“Is that why they keep overflying and sneaking their commandos over the border still? Because they respect our military capability? They treat us as inept…like we can’t keep our own criminals under control.”

Fuentes made a placating sound,
“Well…I mean…”

“You know what I mean! It’s what they fucking think!”

“What they think is that they can keep us out by building a fucking wall. That the drugs will magically be stopped at a…wall.”

“Sure…are they going to wall off thousands of kilometers of coast, from Alcoa up to New Frontier, to keep out the cartel boats, too?”

“Good one, General. Maybe some chicken wire and cargo nets to keep planes from landing, too?”

They all had a good laugh at that one.

Elizondo made casual waves downward, motioning for silence.
“Listen…all joking aside, we do need to at least hear them out and propose our concessions we discussed.
If we do drag this out and hold them off, all it’s going to do is give one of ours…or their dumb conscripts time to ignite a war because they lack any proper discipline. One border guard hastily firing. One fancy boy pilot flying too low or putting one of theirs in a missile lock…and so on. You get the picture.”

“I thought we were ready for war, Gabriel.”

“At a time of our choosing. When we are ready, not because some idiot thrust us into it too early, and especially not in any way that we will be seen as the aggressors.”

Minister Fuentes was very uncomfortable, but kept his silence. He was even more convinced now that he needed to do everything in his, and his Ministry’s power, to avoid this war, despite what the Council may want. Just because they had new toys and new training didn’t mean they could win a conflict with Reino do Brazil handily. A war would be disastrous for both sides and they knew it.

Elizondo focused on Fuentes, then pointed over towards General Arenas.
“Javier, General Arenas will accompany you to New Frontier as a representative of the Council.”

The Minister cocked his head quizzically.
“I thought that was my job, to represent this Council.”

“Your job is to represent the rest of the government aside from the Council.”

Arenas held up a hand.
“Now…hold up now. Why me?!”

“Because myself and Admiral Monsalve can’t leave. We will end up in a Brazilian jail or worse…It’s a perfect excuse to decapitate the government.”

“Well, I might end up that same way, right?”

“You will be fine. Minister Fuentes can talk them down from any brinkmanship.” Javier brightened at the praise, whereas a moment ago he was as nervous as General Arenas about this journey.
“...And if not - you’re more expendable. Ohh…quit your whining.” Elizondo cut Arenas off before he could babble more. “You will be fine. Besides, all of Teremara is watching. The Brazilians won’t risk that. Now off with you two. Time to pack and prepare.”

Fuentes looked to the leader of the Council.
“But…I was hoping we could discuss more how I should proceed when I get there.”

“We did that already, Javier. Remember: Oil refineries, fishing rights, pharmaceuticals. Got it? Simple. You will do great. Now go!”

He had much to discuss still with the Admiral and General Guarjeto and he wanted these two in New Frontier as soon as possible.

Rafindo, San Rosito

Diego Humberto Abramiento stood out on his veranda, overlooking the back acres of his estate in the mountains above Rafindo. Beyond the gardens, in the open stretch, he watched as his herd of imported Mubatan impalas galloped back and forth. They calmed him usually, but not today.

He held a cell in his hands, one of the latest from Schwyz Logiztek, a GXP 6, that had just hit the civilian market. The look on his face was one of severe irritation as he continued a conversation.

“They are building a fucking wall, Gabriel!”

“Yes, I heard the announcement. It’s just on paper right now. You realize that will take years for actual completion. It’s not of immediate concern.”

“I don’t know about your concerns, but an open border is always a big concern of mine. That’s the main lane to get our product out. Unless…I can borrow a lot of planes and boats from you?”

“Borrow? Diego, you could buy the whole San Rositan military ten times over, but that’s not the point…”

“I was kidding, of course…I think. Unless you would let me sneak a few packages on board some ships, maybe?”

“As I said, joking aside, this should not be such a concern for you right now.”

“I don’t think you understand, Gabriel. If I don’t start planning now on the assumption that this wall will appear, my organization will be caught up very short when it is, in fact, a reality. You need to do whatever it takes to get them to stop with the wall nonsense.”

“Arenas and Minister Fuentes are on their way to New Frontier. We are actively trying to defuse all of this…not just your dreaded wall, but all of it. Besides, like I said, it will take years for that to come to fruition. I’m no engineer, but I would like to think I know how hard it will be for them to build a wall through the cliffs and river valley terrain that makes up the border…Brazilian air raids on your production facilities should be of more immediate concern to you, Diego.”

“That’s why I helped you buy a bunch of new planes, Gabriel. To stop that from happening. I think you should paint my family crest on the wings of your shiny new planes. After all, it is the Abramiento Air Force.”

“And I don’t think that can happen anymore. No matter how well you think you are hiding that funding, I guarantee you it is going to be uncovered by someone - intelligence or financial institution. We are now very much under the magnifying lens from the outside.”

“First of all, you worry too much. My accountant, Emile, is the best. He knows how to hide money…” Emile, as well as being an underworld accountant of top order, was of the famous Feldhaus crime family of Neu Engollon.
“...Thirdly…”

“Second.”

“What?!”

“You skipped a number. You’re on second.”

“Ha ha, so I did. That’s why I have Emile to count for me…So, second, no one fucking cares! No. Body. Cares. They know it, and as long as you don’t flaunt where the money comes from and do a half-ass job of hiding the trail, no one makes an issue of it. Meanwhile, I keep buying you planes and tanks and you keep protecting my enterprise from the pigs outside the Republic. Right? That is the deal.”

“I don’t know that we need to spell all of this out over the phone. Are you sure these things are secure?”

“Yes. GXP satellite phones are top of the line for encryption. Besides, it's a little late for that kind of thinking now, isn't it?...Now where was I? I don’t know…Anyway…Do you need my sicarios for any of this shit?”

General Elizondo bit back his desire to quickly say no. In the upcoming conflict, the plausible deniability of ruthless thugs not wearing San Rositan military uniforms might actually come in handy, even if the political fallout could blow back on the Council in a horrible way. There might come a point in the next few weeks where that was the least of their worries.
“I will let you know, Diego. If you can spare them, we might.”

“I wouldn’t offer if I couldn’t spare them, friend.”

“I will be in touch. I have other calls to make.”

“You called me, busy man. Go. Make your calls!”

New Frontier
Reino do Brazil

The evening of that same day, Foreign Affairs Minister Fuentes and General Arenas were on a COD.45 Khonsu, fitted for the luxury of the higher echelons of the government. They were cutting through the clouds and drifting high over the eastern coast of the Kingdom of Brazil.

Javier Fuentes looked first across the aisle at the Air Force Chief, third in line to the leadership of the Council. Arenas looked bored, having no interest in the magazine before him, nor, apparently, his phone.
Arenas looked back and gave Fuentes a disgusted face, snorting to emphasize his disdain for his civilian counterpart.

Fuentes smirked in amusement, then glanced the other way, out his window. Before him were spread maps on the work table denoting territorial waters between the two states, export lists, and economic metrics that would aid him in upcoming discussions. While General Elizondo wasn’t wrong that it boiled down to a few simple talking points, it was a little more complicated than that.

What had not been said in the Presidential Residence was that it was a matter of prestige for Elizondo and his cronies. More than anything they wanted to be respected as equal leaders in Madurin, and the region. For the Council, it was a matter of pride, and they would not take any disrespect from the Brazilians, the welfare of their own citizens be damned.

Javier dozed off for a bit, visions of the northern highland jungle filled with bodies haunting him, only to awaken to the announcement by the pilot that they were approaching the International Airport of New Frontier.
Last edited by San Rosito on Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 31, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Reino do Brazil » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:04 am

Weekly Council of Ministers - Plalacio de São Jose

Prime-Minister Guilherme Torres

PM- Greetings, hope you are all feeling well.

Jacinta Guerreiro - Minister of the Presidence - Sir, The agenda today is San Rosito.
PM- yes and they are here, how delightful, I dont remember to have been with drug dealers before but again there is always a first time for everything.
Sir, our intel tell us that there are parties within theyre govnt who would go for war. they are instable.
PM- I would very much like to know what is teremara stance on having a narco state in the community. And who is selling they weaponory?
The gauls, or neu engolon? I wouldnt expect that from them. Still theyre banks are filled with poweder money.
The public opinion is aganst the wall.
PM well let them be the wall is simply a statement of decency.

PM I want a meeting with the first minister of beloura and put the south bases in delta alert. Say its no more than a drill

San Rosito
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby San Rosito » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:07 am

Off The Southeastern Madurin Coast

As the San Rositan delegation was arriving in New Frontier, busy getting accommodated, and being ushered to their summit, events were quickly developing back in the south.

The Middle Waters Fleet, under Admiral Efrain Veracruz, had their orders direct from the Council. They steamed straight for the Beloura archipelago. When they neared the Belouran waters, CAPs (Combat Air Patrols) would be launched from the deck of the BNRS Triunfo, a Copperbeard Class carrier, and the flagship of Admiral Veracruz.

In the transports and LCS ships were loaded elements of the 2nd and 3rd Ejercito Divisions, many of them recently mobilized reservists. Mobilized being very loosely applied here. Tenders and air transports would need to bring essential forgotten gear later on. However, their counterparts in some of the fleet's other vessels, the Second Brigade of the Fusilero Naval, were much more experienced and prepared.

The subs of the fleet, along with most of the Jolly Roger class patrol boats, and two of the Crusuo Class corvettes, were acting as pickets, on the lookout for Brazilian subs that might take the first shot to make this cold war become hot. Their range was extended by ELINT aircraft and BASD-2N helos on ASW operations.

Meanwhile, The Quick Response Flotilla was finalizing preparations to get under way from the port at Nueva Vista. They were to sail up the Eastern Madurin Coast, acting as backup, or an interdiction force, depending on how events transpired.

The Armada was the largest armed force of the Republic of San Rosito by far, and absorbed most of the defense budget. They had started to modernize over the last decade, just for an opportunity such as this. Or eventuality, depending on who you spoke with.

The Brazilian-San Rositan Border

Not to be overshadowed, the Army continued to mobilize, as well. The Air Force did their part, with stepped up fighter and recon patrols perilously close to the border.

The San Rositan armed forces were determined not to let the people and government of the Republic down this time. Royal Brazilian forces would not be able to just waltz over the heavily forested border as they had in the past.

It should be noted that a lot of these actions of the San Rositan military are future tasking and not currently occurring. It will take half a day at least for the Middle Waters Fleet to reach Belouran waters and they're not close yet.
Last edited by San Rosito on Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:44 am

The First Minister of Beloura João Gonçalves was summon to New Frontier for an emergency Cobra meeting with the Prime-Minister. It was decided to press on diplomacy but on case of an attack it will be responded by the same token. Diplomacy is no response to any attack.

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:13 pm

The San Rosito Air Force Falcon landed at the San Jacinto Air Base. Expecting the delegation were 5 Mercedes sedans, black with tinted glasses and 3 Land Rovers with agents from PIDE, Polícia e Segurança em Defesa do Estado ( Secret Police) and members of CEI (Corpo Especial de Intervenção). By the plane there were Mr Júlio Quaresma, Minister of Defende and Baroness Joana Rosa, Minister of Foreign Affairs. On the way for the Pedro I Hotel one of the LeadingHotels of The World there were crowds on the side ways with signs with go home written on it, and leave Beloura Alone. Peace not war, that sort of thing. The commission is expected at Foreign Affairs for a private meeting

San Rosito
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby San Rosito » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:19 am

New Frontier
Reino do Brazil

The Khonsu luxury jet converted into a government transport, arrived in New Frontier, the capital of Reino do Brazil, finally. As the San Rositan entourage disembarked from the plane, they took in the weather and their welcoming committee. The pilots and flight attendant eventually would join them at their overnight accommodations.

Four of them were OIR officers, assigned to protect the Foreign Minister and General Arenas. They sized up their counterparts of PIDE and CEI, silently approving their perceived professionalism so far.

It wasn't that they didn't trust the Brazilian government so much as they didn't trust that at some point during their stay, some radicalized Brazilian civilian wouldn't try to get through both the PIDE and OIR officers in order to get a lucky shot in at General Arenas. The Council of Security and Governance, the rulers of San Rosito, were certainly not popular here after all the rhetoric that had been free flowing from Puerto Cristal and back. They were well aware of that. To take down the number three man in charge of the Republic was an admirable goal for the extremist patriotic Brazilians.

Minister Fuentes nodded and shook hands along with the Air Force Chief. He didn't need introductions to recognize their hosts.
"Minister Quaresma, Baroness Rosa, a pleasure to see you both again, if under difficult circumstances."

They all entered the waiting cars to take them to the Foreign Affairs building. Along the way they appreciated the architecture of New Frontier.

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:54 am

9AM, the entorage of General Arenas leaves the hotel from the back tarde heading to the ministry of Foreign Affairs where are expected by the Minister, her chief of staff and Brigadeiro Bruno Torres. Upon arrival they are greeted in the meeting room and welcomed with scotch and cigars

The Minister starts her speech. General welcome, our Govnt os quite surprised with your military manouvers close to the waters of Beloura. As you well know, Beloura is sovereign territory of Reino do Brazil with a regional government democratecly elected. Lets cut the chase, what are your intentions towards Beloura?

Monforte
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Monforte » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:09 pm

Palais Princier di Monforte

Press Release

His Highness The Prince Andrea of Monforte is attentive to the diplomatic concerns between the United Kingdom of Reino do Brazil and the Republic of San Rosito.

The Prince is very sensitive to the claims of the Republic of San Rosito.

The Lord Chancellor
Andreia Princeps
Proud Member of The Stonewall Alliance. Non native English speaker

San Rosito
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby San Rosito » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:00 pm

They settled in with scotch and cigars, a very traditional, old school approach to diplomacy that one could appreciate. On the other hand, as Minister Fuentes thought more on it, it was a bit antiquated, but it gave a false sense of comfort as they settled into the lion's den, which was very much what it felt like to him at the moment.

He could see that General Arenas was enjoying himself much more, his anxiety mostly abated. Then the Minister spoke towards the matters at hand, and Fuentes was rendered almost completely superfluous.
"General welcome, our Government is quite surprised with your military maneuvers close to the waters of Beloura. As you well know, Beloura is sovereign territory of Reino do Brazil with a regional government democratically elected. Lets cut to the chase, what are your intentions towards Beloura?"

It was all in the General's hands now.

Arenas looked at the assembled Brazilians, then back at the Minister.
"Of course, we are very aware of the status of Beloura."

It was why they were putting the chokehold on Beloura, as it was a treasured jewel of the Kingdom, but he wouldn't speak that aloud.
Arenas took some ribbing from his colleagues on the Council, but he was far from dumb, if a little obtuse at times about certain subjects. He was very clear on how to handle this, and a lot of it had to do with being coached by the rest of The Council on how to react to just such prompts and provocations. He had to be steely, and he couldn't just rely on Minister Fuentes to take the brunt of the work here. The Brazilians wanted to feel they were talking directly to the ruling Council of San Rosito, and in effect, they were with the top General of the Fuerza Aerea de San Rosito.

"Our Middle Waters Fleet is doing what it does best. Patrolling the Middle Waters. They have to be on constant vigil and so they are always exercising and preparing for the day they might need to spring into action for the Republic. Threats from the East...in Tavlyria. Beloura just happens to be on the path of those patrols. Smack dab in the middle of our corridor through the Middle Waters."

Minister Fuentes picked up the narrative from there,
"Perhaps, Minister...Sometime soon...We could smooth out our differences enough that the San Rositan Middle Waters fleet could visit port in Beloura? There's a lot of sailors on board those ships with a lot of cash to spend. It would be quite the boon to the Belouran, and indirectly, Brazilian economy. There's other areas of economic interest that we would do well to strengthen between our two nations."

General Arenas looked annoyed. In his mind, Fuentes was playing out the hand too fast. They didn't need to give it all out so fast. The Brazilians needed to be sweat a little. That was the point. Sweat them like they had made San Rosito sweat for many times before. He redirected the conversation. Time to be bad cop.

"Maybe...Someday soon that shall happen. But first, you talk of ships near your Islands. What about Brazilian planes constantly overflying our air space? What of the past attacks? What of the troops you mass near our border? Where is the redress on that? Let's talk about that."

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:56 pm

Sirs, the United Kingdom is grateful for your patroling of the Middle waters but as you are aware, Belouran territorial waters are part of belouran territory. The population of Beloura is not acostumed to military tourism, we do very well with the on coming cruise ships. On that subject we must respectfully decline.

Concerning our armed forces in our own territory, they do not constitute a treat to San Rosito, they existe to maintain the integrity of the Kingdom.

Maybe we could draft a treaty that from our side would have to be rectified by Parliament. Or a teremaran conference on the Middle waters...

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:55 am

....besides general due to the geogtaphical position of Beloura maybe it ought to be us to develop a more active role in patroling The Middle waters. We are aware of the somehow peculiar shipments on board San Rosito ships but Will we need is a mandate from teremara.

San Rosito
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby San Rosito » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:24 pm

Minister Fuentes sat back in his chair, after sipping on some of his scotch. He was troubled by what his counterpart was saying. He took a toke on the cigar.
"Well, that's unfortunate that you don't want the tourism from visiting sailors. Does that extend to all San Rositan tourists or just military? You said cruise ships are acceptable. Does that include San Rositan cruise ships?"

General Arenas looked annoyed. He put his cigar into the nearby ashtray.
"Never mind that. Your forces near the border are a threat, madam. They have been in the past, and they will be again unless we can get some guarantees. Solid, hard guarantees.
The rest of Teremara will not get involved, because they feel we need to resolve our differences on our own...Or they don't care. No one that we have heard from, anyway. That and we are both in the TSO. It is causing some kind of rift, I'm sure, but showing preference to either of us doesn't seem to be something they want to do right now.

As for the Middle Waters fleet, we have been developing and training them for years to fulfill their potential. We don't run our decisions on defending our own territorial and economic interests by you, nor would you do the same for us. You don't ask our permission for how to deploy your air force, which by the way, consistently overflies our air space, nor where to deploy your army, nor where to sail your ships. And...Yet, you think you have a right to inform us how to conduct our defense? What you think should and should not be on our ships? Where do you find such justifications?"

Fuentes head sunk lower. Oh no, this is going off the rails much quicker than I thought. I will not be able to stop him. He thought to himself.
The Minister had mentioned a treaty that would settle their differences, which is ultimately what they should want, but the General seemed to ride right over that as he continued to talk.

General Arenas, of the Council of Security and Governance, continued.
"Get all the mandates you want. Sail a fleet around your own islands. Feel free to do so! We wouldn't dare tell you how to conduct your territorial defense, just as we don't expect you to patronize us in such a way. I think the fundamental part of our differences is your peoples' arrogance. You are insulted if we project any power to defend ourselves, but feel you should be able to do the same without criticism or consequence. It has been this way for a long time now."
Last edited by San Rosito on Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:46 pm

General, said Minister trindade, San Rositians civil ships are more than welcome to Beloura and RB following our visa policy. Maybe you ought to Open a consulate in Leiria too. As for our Air Force excessess, those can and Will be corrected.

Our troops stationed at our own territory are not a treat for you unless provoqued that goes to your forces in San Rosito. Reino do Brazil does not interfeer with internal matters from other states. Unlike you we believe that teremara could and should have a say on this matter. ...

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:56 pm

San Rosito
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby San Rosito » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:51 am

"General," said Minister Trindade, "San Rositan civil ships are more than welcome to Beloura and RB following our visa policy. Maybe you ought to Open a consulate in Leiria too. As for our Air Force excesses, those can and will be corrected.

Our troops stationed on our own territory are not a threat for you unless provoked by your forces in San Rosito. Reino do Brazil does not interfere with internal matters in other states. Unlike you, we believe that Teremara could and should have a say on this matter..."

"I don't care about docking rights or consulates, right now." Arenas pointed to Minister Fuentes. "Talk to him about that."
General Arenas snorted again in exasperation.
"As for the overflights and the troops on the border, I have to plainly say that is a bold lie. You have crossed our border many times, sending in commandos, and running your supposed anti-narcotics operations in flagrant international violation of our territory, with no mandate from any international legislative body to do so. You only want Teremara to have a say in order to belatedly cover your own asses for what you have already done, and have them make it okay. Well, madam, they didn't care then, and they obviously don't care now. This is between us."

Minister Fuentes cleared his throat, both to get attention and to actually straighten out some blockage he felt.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we're getting a bit deadlocked here as we can't agree on who is doing what. Maybe instead of focusing on military matters, we could focus on general policy matters, even though they are very inter-related. The relationship between our two nations has been rocky, to say the least. We were hoping that, if you are looking to have us tone down our exercises in the Middle Waters, and come to some agreements on mutual defense, perhaps we could also gain some economic concessions from your Kingdom in order to make compromising our security worthwhile. Strengthening our economic bonds, even if we can't strengthen our military alliance as it pertains to the TSO...Well, I guess I did talk about some military issues there. Oh well."
Fuentes knew this next part was the big gamble, but at least putting it out there was worth a shot. There was no good time to bring it up as this conversation was getting worse. Arenas was seeing to that.
"...For instance, and I know this is a big concession...The oil that you have in abundance off your shores...What if there were a pipeline going to San Rosito, and an agreement that we build refineries to help turn that oil into fuel? Either shipping back the finished product or selling it ourselves? It might help to replace some...other revenue streams that are less desirable and acceptable to the region's eyes."
Last edited by San Rosito on Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:35 am

Sirs, i believe its dinner time. You will be driven to your hotel ir some other place you wish to visit. Have a restfull night.

Trindade thought, i need to meet with my Spin doctor and talk to the prime Minister
Last edited by Reino do Brazil on Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:46 pm

Good morning Sirs, welcome back said Minister Trindade. We have had time to think more in debt about your concerns. There are things that can be negotiated and others that we find unaceptable.firstly there seems to be a need to remind you that the Middle waters are not yours.they are an important route of trade for several countries including ours. The patrooling by the Royal navy on this waters is paramount for us and we are not pulling back . Concerning the raids into your territory, we dont officially recognize them but we recognize the obnoxious amount of drug mules that cross OUR border usually to Alcoa wich is the place of our main university. Those mules when detained Will remain in custody indefinetely. The third point is those drug lords who live so confortably in San Rosito are among friends of people seating on this very table as we speak . We do not intent or have the power to end drug smuggling but our territory Will be more and more off limits. You regect teremara on the table but them too have their cities flooded with cocaine . Any agreement in sight? State your terms
Last edited by Reino do Brazil on Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

San Rosito
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby San Rosito » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:36 pm

Minister Fuentes and General Arenas sat straight up as Trindade announced they were being transported out to dinner and their hotel. This was certainly a bizarre response to both of them, or more like a lack of response. Arenas looked at the Foreign Minister with slightly widened eyes, not having expected this. What had been brought up so far surely would have needed at least a couple more hours to properly discuss.

Javier Fuentes was a little less surprised. He took it in stride, filling in the gaps that she wasn't saying.
"Yes, fine. We will retire to the hotel after we get some dinner. I don't think either of us is in the mood to be entertained or visit anywhere before catching up on rest. It's been a long day of travel and...this."

When they were finally in the car on the way to the hotel, the General had taken some time to digest what happened, and still come up with little.
"What the fuck was that? She's just not very good at this, is she?"

Fuentes sighed.
Neither are you, General. To say that this warhawk General from the Council knew nothing about diplomacy would be a mild statement. He kept that thought to himself, however. He had to learn how to navigate this minefield and actually work in concert with the volatile man beside him in the back seat of the luxury car.
"No, I would tend to give her more credit than that, although she’s being a little obtuse on some points. This is a deliberate delaying tactic. Common enough in diplomacy. This might also be a way to throw us off and shut down the track we were on. A way to get the upper hand again. We might have hit too close, too fast. I think we need to confer with Puerto Cristal."

“Right. I’m definitely calling the Council when I get back to the hotel.”

“I need to be in on that call.”

“No you don’t.”

“Uh, yes I do.”

"Fine. But don't take it over."

"I'm sure that's not a possibility."

They made it back before any more bickering could occur. The OIR men, and one woman, looked annoyed with their detail and glad to be back to hotel defense rather than watching for an ambush out along the route. They decided to freshen up first, call, then eat.

As Javier headed to the General's room, he saw him walk out, already changed into casual clothes and with a GXT tablet tucked under his arm.

"That was quick. Forgetting something?"

"No. Follow me."

"Where? Why don't we just go in to your room and call from there?"

Juan Garcia Arenas spoke in a low, not-quite-whisper.
"Keep your voice down, idiot! We can't do it from the room or any of the lounges because they will be bugged by PIDE."

"What?! You don't know that."

"Fucking right, I know it. You think you're so damn smart, Fuentes. You don't know shit sometimes."

Javier frowned. He had to admit that he wasn't experienced when it came to subterfuge like this. Perhaps he did need the General as a counterbalance for such situations as this.
"...alright."

They went down two floors, then the General found a housekeeping closet around a corner by an alcove, away from the elevators and foot traffic. He looked both ways, then slipped what looked like two paperclips out of his pocket. He worked them quickly into the hole in the doorknob and in no time they were in.

Javier shook his head. This was the head of the Air Force of San Rosito picking a lock in a foreign country like a common criminal.
"Where did you learn to do that?"

"I grew up on the streets of Rafindo, bandejo. We can't all suck from mama forever."

"That's crude. Why not just use the vending and ice room? It has an open door and less trouble."

"Because we'll be interrupted every 5 minutes by some fuck wanting a soda, idiot. No more questions. Save your speech and stop distracting me."

Finally, they were set up. The General propped the tablet up on a shelf and dialed them in, using the encryption layers.
The face of Admiral Jose Monsalve appeared.
"Oh, dios! What took you two so long?"

"It's been a long day. They sent us packing to come back tomorrow."

"They?"

"Minister Trindade. Just her. No one else is talking."

Javier snorted.
"I think she would be enough."

Arenas snapped back.
"It is enough. Where is Marshal Elizondo?"

"He had other business. What? I'm not good enough for you?"
The Admiral laughed.

"I just think he'd want to hear this, Jose."

"Speak! What did you find out? Are they buying it?"

Javier shook his head.
"She's pretty much ignoring our demands and protests and countering with her own. It's going to take a while at this rate. She did say they would look into putting a stop to the overflights. Then demanded we stay out of the Middle Waters with our fleet."

"At least a couple times."

"So the pressure on Beloura is working, then?"

"Seems that way. Yeah. She does seem willing to negotiate. I think the fleet near Beloura is scaring them a lot, but it's great leverage."

"It could push them the wrong direction, though." Javer interjected. "They may feel forced to act and we will have a major war. Is that what we want? Because I'm confused on that..."

Admiral Monsalve sighed.
"We want a small war, or just our objectives met with no war at all, but Brazil seems to be fully set in their superiority, and that is the issue. That's why Marshal Elizondo wants a war, to show them up and shut them up."

"No. It's not going to work that way. It will only perpetuate our issues and cause a lot of ill will from the rest of Teramara. The drug flow scares them almost more than us blasting Beloura."

If the Admiral was in the room, he would have exchanged quite a look with General Arenas. As it was, they stared without speaking for a few seconds. Fuentes wasn't privy to the underlying plan and they couldn't tell him. It was too risky.
The Foreign Minister noticed it.
"What?"

"Nothing, just keep her steered to our goals. You're just going to have to press harder tomorrow."

"Easy for you to say."

"Yes, I have it so easy. I only have to run a country with Marshal Elizondo and General Guarjeto."

"And me!"

"If you return, Juan."

"Ha! Yeah, they're going to jail me...Right."

"That's not what I was implying, Juan.”

He meant a possible assassination attempt might occur, courtesy of a fanatical Brazilian.

Javier interrupted to speed things along.
"I'm hungry and tired. Someone from the Brazilian host staff is going to start looking for us."

"Fine. We will talk tomorrow."

They left the closet, then went to eat.
They both slept after. It would be a long day tomorrow.
Javier slept rather fitfully, thinking about the day, and that look that Admiral Monsalve and General Arenas had shared. He hated thinking that he didn't have all the information to do his job.

The next morning, they got coffee and breakfast, then returned to the Foreign Ministry.
They were escorted back into the same room.

They listened to Trindade.
"Good morning Sirs, welcome back. We have had time to think more in depth about your concerns. There are things that can be negotiated and others that we find unacceptable. Firstly, there seems to be a need to remind you that the Middle waters are not yours. They are an important route of trade for several countries including ours. The patrolling by the Royal navy on these waters is paramount for us, and we are not pulling back. Concerning the raids into your territory, we don't officially recognize them, but we recognize the obnoxious amount of drug mules that cross OUR border usually to Alcoa which is the place of our main university. Those mules, when detained, will remain in custody, indefinitely. The third point is those drug lords who live so comfortably in San Rosito, are among friends of people seated at this very table as we speak. We do not intend or have the power to end drug smuggling, but our territory will be more and more off limits. You reject Teremara on the table but they too have their cities flooded with cocaine. Any agreement in sight? State your terms."

The two San Rositans sat back. It was a lot to take in.
General Arenas looked like he was turning purple.
Minister Fuentes spoke before the General could shout.
"I will say that I can't think of any of us, any San Rositan official, who said the Kingdom didn't have the right to patrol and sail the Middle Waters. Of course the Royal Navy should be there. It's not ours, it's not yours...It's everyone's ocean. As you said, many nations need to use those routes for trade. So we wouldn't tell you that you have no right to be there, any more than we would expect you to treat us the same. As for the raids...You keep denying it and we need to work on it. Drug mules? Criminals. If they are in your territory, you should prosecute them. Criminals are criminals, no matter which side of the border. We wouldn't stop you any more than we would hope you wouldn't stop us from apprehending Brazilian criminals in San Rosito. Which we do. And we will continue to do. Now, as for the accusations about our being connected to drug lords..."

General Arenas could not take any more.
"About that. I think we're done being insulted. You are saying we associate with criminals? How dare you?" He stood up. "We will go back to our hotel now. We need to think on this. I am too outraged to hear anymore insults. You are supposedly the top professional diplomat of your country? Either you are really just bad at this, or you are wasting our time and you do want a war!"

Fuentes stood up. "Enough! Let's go! I think we will need to regroup on this, Minister Trindade. The General is very upset and I think we will just have to delay until later, possibly this afternoon."

"No! We need the day!” Arenas protested.

"Just...Let me get back in touch with you, Minister Trindade, from the hotel later. We don’t need to be hasty here.”

They went back to the cars, making sure their OIR guards were ready. They headed back to the hotel.

When they were in the car, Fuentes turned to Arenas.
"What the fuck was that?"

"Exactly! What was she on about, calling us buddies with drug dealers?!"

"No, I meant you! Your tirade there!"

"Oh, that was one of your diplomatic delaying tactics. We need her to shut up about all this bullshit and negotiate. She needs to know if she keeps insulting us, we're not gonna stick around for that."

"We need to be cool."

"She's not."

"You need to let me talk next time and not say anything."

"Next time? You really think there will be one?"
Last edited by San Rosito on Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:46 am

Good morning said Trindade still fresh from the shower she has taken at the ministry. I come with a proposal to you. Firstly we want to inform that border control between our nations will continue consistent and sistematicly looking for narcotics being smugged into the Kingdom .

We propose to create a chamber of commerce to discuss energy issues and the export of biodiesel. Still, imperial oil os a private company but structural to the state, so the Govnt has a word about the subject.

Your fleet is naturally free to sail in the Middle waters outside Beloura territorial waters, thats needless to say...

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:18 am

Please let us know what agreement would be suitable for you. If we get consensus a treaty Will be signed followed by a state dinner hosted by His Majesty

San Rosito
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby San Rosito » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:54 pm

Minister Fuentes eyed General Arenas, who had a smirk on his face. His further delaying tactic and blustering rhetoric had worked after all
The General replied.
“I’m sorry if our fleet neared Belouran territorial waters during their maneuvers. It was not the intent. Of course we will respect your protectorate’s boundaries.”

Fuentes took over before Arenas could over do it.
“Certainly, as far as Imperial Oil is concerned, we just hope you could use your influence with the company in order to convince them to deal with San Rositan companies. Some sort of partnership, or chamber of commerce as you say, that could help develop and diversify the economy of our Republic and bolster your industry. Being able to import more biodiesel and oil products into San Rosito and refined fuel out of the region would be ideal.

As for border patrolling and prosecution of criminals and smugglers, we would not expect any less of you. The Kingdom of Brazil must do what it can to protect its integrity. I believe that we can come to terms and hammer out a treaty, but first we need to contact the Council back in Puerto Cristal.”

Arenas interjected.
“I think it’s also important that we discuss at some point the mutual threat to us both from Gran Ventana.”
Last edited by San Rosito on Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:53 am

Margasrida Fernandes, the PM spin-doctor exclaims. Mr. PM I believe to have one possible solution. After all San Rosito are our neighbours, Allthough there are a lot of cultural differenses, there are also a lot in common too. We could propose a free trade agreement having in mind the energy market and tourism. We could build a pipeline for natural gaz and propose the entry of Imperial Oil on San Rositan market and we could import some goods they have and that atre needed over here.
Concerning the drug problem, it is their own internal affairs but when it comes to our borders then both states could create an joint agency to monitor the problem.
The wall ought to be destroyed, not only for the violent and symbolic message it carries but also because there are more effective ways to monitor the problem. I would sujest the maintenance of entry visas.

Margarida (says the PM) I think thats a good exit to the problem. Lets propose that to the Junta. Im pretty sure they will accept.
- what makes you so sure?
- Lets just say that last night I had a drink with one member of the junta. (at his room), privacy to discuss these kind of matters...
Last edited by Reino do Brazil on Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:46 pm

Still we could continue this debate. After all you can take the risk of rb close the pumps to San rosito. We want the best for our neighbours

San Rosito
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby San Rosito » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:52 pm

Minister Fuentes and General Arenas, realizing that they weren't neighbors with Brazil anymore, got up and left. The end.
Last edited by San Rosito on Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reino do Brazil
Negotiator

Postby Reino do Brazil » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:09 pm

General, San Rosito are not only our neighbours but we also share a lot of folk and common cultural Roots down to the southern provinces. We propose that the pipeline should be off soveragnty, still both states would have to maintain it.
For us, this is a good project for the Company and a step to increase the quality of life of the People of San Rosito.

João de Sá Pacheco entres the Room, cumplimenting
- Good morning PM.
-Good morning replies the PM. We got u a hell of a job for you; its a new market, San Rosito. Still i need confirmation from them to begin. How about hydrogen?
Last edited by Reino do Brazil on Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents