NATION

PASSWORD

Anarchism, Arguments For and Against

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is nationwide anarchism better then a nation with bad leadership?

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes : 67

Darnavy
Political Columnist

Founded: May 30, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Darnavy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:51 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:The single most glaring flaw I can see with anarchism is a fundamental inability to properly defend itself without betraying anarchist values.
Who solves their problems with proclaiming a democratic nation?

Hukhalia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 31, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Hukhalia » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:57 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Concejos Unidos wrote:As Hukhalia said, many people don't see anarchism as practicable, but as a theoretical ideal, few see it as bad. Who wouldn't want the elimination of poverty and crime and the free provision of resources without the obligation to work?

Well, if you ever find a Genie you can go ahead and wish for that.

you'll be eating your fucking words when i get that FUCKING lamp
"It was this alone that drew so many Europeans to colonial North America: the dream in the settler mind of each man becoming a petty lord of his own land. Thus, the tradition of individualism and egalitarianism in America was rooted in the poisoned concept of equal privileges for a new nation of European conquerors." J. Sakai

an advocate of total warfare against heterosexual society, any/all

Northern Seleucia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Northern Seleucia » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:59 pm

Hukhalia wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

What if the genie refuses to help? :eyebrow:
The United States of America
"That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom – and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth."
American Imperialist - Evangelical Christian
Слава Україні! - Stand with Israel
Overview | Encyclopedia Americana | The World | About Me| My Inspiration in Two Videos
National News: Enraged Enfield Cow Injures Farmer with Ax | Defendant Who Plead Innocent Has Rage Episode During Trial; Kills Prosecutor Accusing Him of Aggravated Homicide | Hurricane Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Found Dead | Hidden Burglar Discovered after Husband Tells Jokes; Hears Laughter Upstairs

Concejos Unidos
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 10, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Concejos Unidos » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:59 pm

Northern Seleucia wrote:
Concejos Unidos wrote:Yes, the anarcho-syndicalist movement came out of the radical wing of the trade unions.

How far did they get in their movement?

Here in the States, Labor Day isn't on 5/1, but the whole reason Labor Day exists around the world is to honor the deaths at the Haymarket Massacre. Also, the 8-hour workday was primarily driven by them and other less radical trade unions. It was on the backdrop of trade union agitation met with brutal government violence that the US got its first labor and antitrust laws in the late 19th century. This was a big movement; Eugene Debs, a founder of the IWW, peaked at 6% of the popular presidential vote in 1912. The major anarchist union of the time, the IWW, was also one of the first to step away from racial discrimination. Most importantly, even though the radicals never took power, they pushed protection for workers and antitrust action into the mainstream discourse which led to federal laws significantly advancing labor rights. Unfortunately, with American entry into WWI, the government used pro-war patriotism and wartime legislation to effectively suppress the anti-war anarcho-syndicalist movement.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:Why are you afraid of the idea of ​​the great roman republic ? Are you homophobic?

Hukhalia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 31, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Hukhalia » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:00 pm

Northern Seleucia wrote:
Hukhalia wrote:you'll be eating your fucking words when i get that FUCKING lamp

What if the genie refuses to help? :eyebrow:

violence
"It was this alone that drew so many Europeans to colonial North America: the dream in the settler mind of each man becoming a petty lord of his own land. Thus, the tradition of individualism and egalitarianism in America was rooted in the poisoned concept of equal privileges for a new nation of European conquerors." J. Sakai

an advocate of total warfare against heterosexual society, any/all

Northern Seleucia
Negotiator

Postby Northern Seleucia » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:02 pm

Concejos Unidos wrote:
Northern Seleucia wrote:How far did they get in their movement?

Here in the States, Labor Day isn't on 5/1, but the whole reason Labor Day exists around the world is to honor the deaths at the Haymarket Massacre. Also, the 8-hour workday was primarily driven by them and other less radical trade unions. It was on the backdrop of trade union agitation met with brutal government violence that the US got its first labor and antitrust laws in the late 19th century. This was a big movement; Eugene Debs, a founder of the IWW, peaked at 6% of the popular presidential vote in 1912. The major anarchist union of the time, the IWW, was also one of the first to step away from racial discrimination. Most importantly, even though the radicals never took power, they pushed protection for workers and antitrust action into the mainstream discourse which led to federal laws significantly advancing labor rights. Unfortunately, with American entry into WWI, the government used pro-war patriotism and wartime legislation to effectively suppress the anti-war anarcho-syndicalist movement.

Ah, shit, I had no idea that whole movement was anarcho-syndaliclism, it makes sense now.

Hukhalia wrote:
Northern Seleucia wrote:What if the genie refuses to help? :eyebrow:

violence

That's where the heavily armed part of your Marxism-Leninism kicks in, huh?
"That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom – and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth."
Overview | Encyclopedia Americana | The World | About Me| My Inspiration in Two Videos
National News: Enraged Enfield Cow Injures Farmer with Ax | Defendant Who Plead Innocent Has Rage Episode During Trial; Kills Prosecutor Accusing Him of Aggravated Homicide | Hurricane Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Found Dead | Hidden Burglar Discovered after Husband Tells Jokes; Hears Laughter Upstairs

Concejos Unidos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Concejos Unidos » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:04 pm

Northern Seleucia wrote:Ah, shit, I had no idea that whole movement was anarcho-syndaliclism, it makes sense now.

To be clear, the late 19th and early 20th century American trade union movement was split between the anarcho-syndicalists and the less radical unions, the respective standard-bearers being the IWW and the AFL (the AFL won out and is now the modern monstrosity that is the AFL-CIO). The whole movement definitely wasn't anarchist and it's hard to say how many people were truly committed to the ideology, since you can go back and see wild fluctuations in IWW membership as strike waves started and passed.
Last edited by Concejos Unidos on Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:Why are you afraid of the idea of ​​the great roman republic ? Are you homophobic?

Jewish Underground State
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2022

Postby Jewish Underground State » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:12 pm

Finally fixed the new poll
My new main is Jewish Partisan Division

The beliefs posted by this nation don't reflect my current views.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:15 pm

Hukhalia wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

I'd do so gladly. I wouldn't mind living in an Anarchist utopia.

It'd probably get boring after a while though.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Concejos Unidos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Concejos Unidos » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:17 pm

Jewish Underground State wrote:Finally fixed the new poll

What is "true anarchism"? In an ideology as diverse as anarchism, there is no such thing as "true anarchism." Anarcho-syndicalism, anarcho-communism, mutualism, etc. are all equally valid forms.

Northern Seleucia
Negotiator

Postby Northern Seleucia » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:20 pm

Concejos Unidos wrote:
Jewish Underground State wrote:Finally fixed the new poll

What is "true anarchism"? In an ideology as diverse as anarchism, there is no such thing as "true anarchism." Anarcho-syndicalism, anarcho-communism, mutualism, etc. are all equally valid forms.

Including Anarcho-Capitalism? I've always heard that was the big issue.

Concejos Unidos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Concejos Unidos » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:24 pm

Northern Seleucia wrote:Including Anarcho-Capitalism? I've always heard that was the big issue.

Anarcho-capitalism I don't consider to be anarchism. I can talk about how it is incompatible with anarchist philosophy, but that's opinion. The indisputable facts are that it is descended from a completely separate intellectual tradition, unlike the various left-anarchist traditions which share a lot of their intellectual figures and significant overlaps in philosophy.
Last edited by Concejos Unidos on Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Seleucia
Negotiator

Postby Northern Seleucia » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:30 pm

Concejos Unidos wrote:
Northern Seleucia wrote:Including Anarcho-Capitalism? I've always heard that was the big issue.

Anarcho-capitalism I don't consider to be anarchism. I can talk about how it is incompatible with anarchist philosophy, but that's opinion. The indisputable facts are that it is descended from a completely separate intellectual tradition, unlike the various left-anarchist traditions which share a lot of their intellectual figures and significant overlaps in philosophy.

Ah, okay.

So, based on your opinion, why is it incompatible?

Nevertopia
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:32 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:The single most glaring flaw I can see with anarchism is a fundamental inability to properly defend itself without betraying anarchist values.

True. Even anarchists have to accept that a hierarchy of government is needed to properly address issues.
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

Concejos Unidos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Concejos Unidos » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:37 pm

Northern Seleucia wrote:
Concejos Unidos wrote:Anarcho-capitalism I don't consider to be anarchism. I can talk about how it is incompatible with anarchist philosophy, but that's opinion. The indisputable facts are that it is descended from a completely separate intellectual tradition, unlike the various left-anarchist traditions which share a lot of their intellectual figures and significant overlaps in philosophy.

Ah, okay.

So, based on your opinion, why is it incompatible?

The hierarchy and oppression of the state is analogous to the oppression of the capitalist workplace. Anarcho-capitalists are therefore inconsistent in their opposition to hierarchy.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:37 pm

The problems in my view are:

1. No state
2. No law and order
3. No military

I don’t like that.

Concejos Unidos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Concejos Unidos » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:41 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:The problems in my view are:

1. No state
2. No law and order
3. No military

I don’t like that.

Shows what you know that you put no military. All historical anarchist territories were born out of war and fought for their existence.

Jewish Underground State
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2022

Postby Jewish Underground State » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:45 pm

Concejos Unidos wrote:

Does anyone besides ancaps?
My new main is Jewish Partisan Division

The beliefs posted by this nation don't reflect my current views.

Concejos Unidos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Concejos Unidos » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:46 pm

Jewish Underground State wrote:
Concejos Unidos wrote:Anarcho-capitalism I don't consider to be anarchism. I can talk about how it is incompatible with anarchist philosophy, but that's opinion. The indisputable facts are that it is descended from a completely separate intellectual tradition, unlike the various left-anarchist traditions which share a lot of their intellectual figures and significant overlaps in philosophy.

Does anyone besides ancaps?

Left-anarchists are pretty united on rejecting them.

Northern Seleucia
Negotiator

Postby Northern Seleucia » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:47 pm

Welcome to Ancapistan

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:16 pm

Northern Seleucia wrote:
Kubra wrote: In its heyday, anarchism was generally the radical wing of the trade union movement, largely pushing for those who worked in a place of business to own where they worked and also to themselves make the decisions on the running of the business, which is why the only extant international anarchist org left purports to be a labour union and concerns itself largely with, you guessed it, unionising.

Hence the whole idea of anarcho-syndicalism?
yes, but in its heyday "anarcho-syndicalism" would have been regarded as a strange term, since it was the only thing calling itself anarchism that a person was liable to encounter outside of, say, strange and secretive political cells involving Russians.
In any case, the big defining aspect of anarchism was largely that it's internal bureaucracy involved a lot of procedural rules, largely on the matter of voting, that of course we're so even for the smallest administrative units. A joke would be that a household of anarchists would not be able to make breakfast without calling a special sitting of the household executive committee to decide on eggs or porridge before sending it down the greater household assembly for ratification.
Last edited by Kubra on Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

New Zoigai
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby New Zoigai » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:19 pm

Anarchy is a goverment system that can never last more than 3 years, Someone is eventually going to take power.
African American, Born near the Pacific Ocean, Protestant Christian, History Lover, 6'2, Teenager
A Class 0.1 Civilization according to this index.
Political Math Graph results
https://www.politicalcompass.org/yourpo ... &soc=-0.72

"Freedom From one thing is bondage to its opposite. Choose to be bonded by the thing that benefits you more"
NS stats are Working in the deepest coal mines we have discovered and arent canon

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:39 pm

Northern Seleucia wrote:
Concejos Unidos wrote:Yes, the anarcho-syndicalist movement came out of the radical wing of the trade unions.

How far did they get in their movement?
up until 1917 anarchism was the main strain of radical leftism. After was a bit of a moment, but even in 1936 the Spanish CNT could still mobilise tens of thousands of folks to fight on the frontlines of the civil war purely on their presence within the organised labour scene, far more than every other group prior to the reorganisation of the army.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Comemierdas
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 05, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Comemierdas » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:09 am

I think I belong to the faction believing that anarchy goes against human nature. Whatever group people might form, some kind of hierarchy will shape up sooner or later. If you institutionalize it, you made your first step away from anarchy. If you don't, you still have hierarchies, but more susceptible to arbitrariness. By the way, the bigger a group gets, the more people will actually prefer to be ruled rather than rule themselves. That's not to say they shouldn't have a say, but many can totally live with giving some general consent to the decisions of others every once in a while. So I voted for "anarchy is cringe".

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:09 am

Comemierdas wrote:I think I belong to the faction believing that anarchy goes against human nature. Whatever group people might form, some kind of hierarchy will shape up sooner or later. If you institutionalize it, you made your first step away from anarchy. If you don't, you still have hierarchies, but more susceptible to arbitrariness. By the way, the bigger a group gets, the more people will actually prefer to be ruled rather than rule themselves. That's not to say they shouldn't have a say, but many can totally live with giving some general consent to the decisions of others every once in a while. So I voted for "anarchy is cringe".

'm not one to defend anarchists but the "human nature" argument kinda sucks? it implies a static and unchanging human nature but that's very obviously not true
Last edited by HISPIDA on Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Algerstonia did nothing wrong. Hold Moderators accountable. (she/they)
"We have liberated Europe from fascism, and they will never forgive us for it." - Georgy Zhukov (purportedly)
read my iiwiki
free palestine. trans rights are human rights. no war but class war
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General