NATION

PASSWORD

[defender meets midfielder] (CLOSED)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:36 am

my ordinary life
a twofer set in the defender meets midfielder universe

Kingsbury, Georgia
One month before the events of Season One, Part One: A Day In Kven

I. harrison

As always — and I really should get that curtain fixed — it's the sun that wakes me. It shines through my window, through the little hole in my curtains, and just in the right place that whenever I open my eyes I find myself with a faceful of sunlight. Thankfully the rest of the apartment's in better shape, now — Mrs Jones essentially re-painted everyone's apartments, and I managed to use whatever was left over after the month's rent was due to buy some actual possessions — but that damn curtain needs to be fixed.

Oh well. At least it works well as an alarm clock.

And after the usual morning routine, it's down to Paul's for some breakfast. Well, he doesn't cook it; his mom, Marnie, does, and she's insisted I eat her food after realising that firstly, that I was subsisting on largely takeaway food, and secondly, that I didn't know how to cook. So there it is; and usually Paul's there, with a great smile on his face, and his six year-old younger sister, Elaine, all getting ready for the day ahead. In a way, it's almost like she's adopted me as one of her own; and I spend a lot of evenings at her place with her these days, looking after Elaine when Marnie's still working at the fish market and Paul's at his after-school job at one of the small businesses that dot these parts of the city. Her husband, Scott, is usually out on the seas; and is rarely home, if ever. But it's the closest thing I've got to a new family in this place.

In a way, I've felt less alone.

In another, the lie that I alone know I am living makes me feel more alone than ever.

My serving's particularly large today; but of course, it's matchday today. Kingsbury United Ladies versus Wentworth City Ladies, in the Second Division of the Tumbran Woman's Super League. As Marnie heaps another hashbrown onto my plate, she pats my shoulders reassuringly; Paul sniggers at the gesture, but flashes another huge smile when I glance back up at him with a quizzical look. According to Marnie, Paul's always happy when he's by my side; and she's never seen him happier than in the year I've spent at number 70, Crawford Street. Which, in a way, is oddly satisfying; and he always has been a great friend. Always coming round to fix things — he's at vocational school, trying to become a handyman — leaving me little gifts, sending messages of encouragement. I've suspected for a while that he may see me as more than just a neighbour; but I don't feel the same way towards him. I just don't, simply, and the fact that I'm literally living a lie right now only complicates things.

I finish my meal, and right on cue Old Man Fraser knocks on the door, curtly asking if I'm ready to go; and I, of course, answer yes. Fraser's in his sixties, now, and runs a small tow truck business; but he warmed up to me incredibly quickly. He's the one that takes me to the club in the mornings; in the evenings all I can do is squeeze onto a public bus and ride home. Our ride, as always, is silent — he's not one for many words, nor am I, really — but he always wishes me good luck before whenever he drops me off.

The mood in our tiny dressing room is down, as always; new rumours have emerged that KUFC will stop fielding a women's team next season. Someone from higher management's here today, keen to reassure us that it's not true, that Kingsbury values the women's game, bla bla bla. But it's not just that, really; compared to the palatial quarters of the men's dressing room, ours is relatively spartan. Shows you how much this country cares about the women's game, huh. It's less of hurt at the rumours and more of the lucid fear reappearing that our careers, unlike those of our male counterparts, are more fragile and may disappear at any moment. We may be professionals, and signed to professional terms, but we're paid a pittance — I can barely cover my monthly living expenses, while Harry Henderson on the men's team recently bought a third car.

II. barton

The game's basically slowed to a crawl now that the heavens have opened up; the pitch has basically turned into green and brown slop, and the ball's going everywhere. There's mud all over my shorts, it's the eighty-seventh minute; I glance over at the fourth official, and she's scribbled down "2" on a chalkboard — no fancy timing boards here please, we're women — which just makes me roll my eyes. Just — fucking — end — it — quickly.

I sprint — or what can be called a sprint in these conditions, you get the bloody idea — to a position left open by the Wentworth midfield, and shout for the ball; it comes rolling my way, and I have to use all my willpower to predict its bounce and not let it run out of bounds. I find a black-shirted Wentworth midfielder running for the ball, too, and pick up the pace; immediately I shield the ball from her and use the mud to my advantage, sinking a leg deeper into it and holding my ground, while using my other leg to kick the ball away. A rash challenge from her comes, but I keep my balance — just — and chase after the ball again, knocking it on and into the path of a winger making a run. She crosses it in, and with a heavy thunk, the ball's sank into the goal by our striker. Polite applause from the stands. We cheer.

The cheers are louder than the applause.

The score's now six-nil.

We end up kicking the ball around for three minutes after dispossessing Wentworth for what seems like the twentieth time this half, just praying that the match ends; and, quite honestly, it seems Wentworth just want the same. The entire team doesn't really celebrate the win — we're twenty-five games into a twenty-six game season, and we've dropped points just once, in a nil-nil draw to Couno Rangers — and troop off into the dressing room. One man, however, seems to want to get my attention; and I oblige. I think he's a fan; but it turns out he's someone else altogether.

"Greetings," he says, a warm and comfortable voice behind it. "My name's Toby Barton, and I'm the manager of the Under-18 Tumbran football team."

"We haven't got an under-18 Tumbran football team," I point out, somewhat irritatedly. "Much less one for women." Is he here just to rile me up or what?

"Of course we haven't. I'm going to be its first manager."

"Still doesn't explain why you're looking for me. Matter of fact, you're looking at games of the wrong sex. The men's stadium," I point at the white monolith that is Fletcher Park, "is that way."

Barton remains unfazed, and smiles warmly. "I do believe I was watching the correct game, Ms. Harrison, and as a matter of fact I do know that I was watching the correct player. I've been watching your games for a while, now, and I had to come in person myself to make my offer; I'd like you to be on my team."

"Uh, I'm a girl."

"I know that," he says. "I did not mishear you. But you did not mishear me, either. I am calling up a team of both male and female players to represent Tumbra at the Under-18 World Cup in Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom. And, once again, I would like to offer you a spot on my team."

I frown. He can't be serious.

"I am serious." He withdraws his Tumbran Football Federation identification card and shows it to me. I pluck it from his fingers and inspect it myself. It's genuine, all right. He's got my attention. "I am absolutely serious about this.."

"How long will you be here?"

"As long as needed."

"Give me some time. Then we'll talk."

"Certainly."

III. keating

Two letters arrive the next morning; the first one's from Walter, explaining how things are going on the Harrison estate. They've been searching for me, but to no avail, and they haven't been too high-key about it, either, lest the tabloids start squawking. He explains that they're giving up for now, and that he's accepted that I won't be coming back for now; but his focus has now shifted to waiting for me to come back. He doesn't say it outright in his letter — bless him — but I'm pretty sure Dad wants me to come back and grovel for forgiveness.

I feel something in my heart stir as I read Walter's intricate, flowy handwriting; he obviously is very worried for me, but ends off his message with full faith that I will make it outside the Harrison household. I'm never going back if I can help it. He's my one last connection to my old, ordinary life; though to the masses it would be extraordinarily extra-ordinary. But it's one I'm willing to give up. Is it anger at Dad for expecting me to go back? Is it the familial, selfless love that Walter's been showing? I don't know.

The second letter's just the confirmation that I'll be on the plane to Zeta Reka. It's almost surreal that I'm holding it, but Barton's reasons for wanting me on the plane were legitimate; he sees me as the keystone of the team, and my sex comes second; but a very important second it will be. If all goes well, then we'll be able to start some conversations we've been skirting around for a long time. If not, well...

I thought Paul'd be pleased with how my career's going; but he seemed more upset with the development, if anything. I told him during one of the many nights that we go walking along the dockside, and he just...got quite angry. Questioned why I wanted to deviate from this ordinary life I was leading — if only he knew — and why I even wanted to do this in the first place.

Since that night, however, the smile's disappeared from his face. Marnie's asked me, gently, whether anything went on between the two of us; not wanting to hurt her feelings, I just say we've had a disagreement. Which is true. It's not entirely true — he got angry on his own, and I'm not sure why he's disagreeing with me wanting to further my own career — but it's true enough.

Like the rest of my life, I guess.

IV. jones

It's the night before I leave for Straton, and the block's congregated in Mrs. Jones' apartment to celebrate my achievement of me being actually picked for a tournament. There's a cake, there's food, and overall everyone's just wishing me a good life and to not forget them when I'm famous.

I'll never forget them. Not Mrs. Jones, who took me in; not Fraser, who grumpily, but always ferried me to training and matches; not Elaine, whose inquisitive nature brightened up many an evening of mine, nor the rest of the neighbours, who took pity on a girl who really shouldn't be pitied, and basically made her one of their own. And here they all are, celebrating one of their own making me out.

Despite me being the furthest thing from being one of them.

I feel like telling them the truth, telling them who I really am, and it pains me that I won't ever be able to tell them the truth.

Ever.

And as my eyes scan the room, there's the lone figure of Paul, skulking in the corner; still looking displeased at the fact that I'm leaving. Before the party dies down I realise that he's disappeared, and I know exactly where he's gone. Making a few half-hearted excuses — I need to get milk from the corner store that closes at nine, and it's eight forty-five — I push my way out of the door, leaving everyone behind. But I need to do this. I need closure from him, find out exactly why he's been behaving this way, and what the fuck he wants by acting this way at my going-away party.

V. carter

The cold air of the sea hits me, again, though I'm more than used to the smell by now; and I can see his silhouette in the distance. I take big, large steps towards him; nearly running at this point, but I slow myself when I know he can see what I'm doing. To my...horror...he's got a cigarette in his mouth, which he lights as I slowly walk towards him. He remains silent, staring out into Kingsbury Bay, attentions seemingly fixated on the little flashing dots in the distance. But I know he wants me to start the conversation. And because I'm impatient as hell and I actually remembered in the last thirty seconds that I do need something from the corner store, I oblige his silly little wish.

"Never knew you'd started smoking, Paul Carter."

"Eh, you pick it up at school."

"What would Marnie say?"

"What she doesn't know won't hurt her."

"I could tell her about this, right now, and —"

"You won't."

"Whatever. So why'd you come here, anyway?"

"To smoke." The two-word answer's curt, terse, whatever. His pause lingers. "Didn't expect you to show up, though."

"As if."

"You decided to come hunting for me."

"You were generally being a shithead at my going-away party. And you disappeared. And you came to our usual spot. You want to talk."

"I just wanted to remind myself of how things were before you got your head got turned."

"So it's about this again. What's your guff with it? It's not like it harms you."

"Listen, we've all been allocated our lot in life. Our lot's been to live an ordinary life. So why not just...go with it? Plus, you could stay with us. Things could go back to how they were before."

"Because it's my fucking career, and I've got to make it no matter what. Thought you'd understand. Evidently not." I turn away, preparing to walk back — I can still make it to the corner store, if I sprint; and I'm wearing my running shoes —

"I don't want to lose you," comes the shout as I begin walking away. It intrigues me enough that I stop where I am and turn around. Probably exactly what he wanted.

"God." He spits out his cigarette, stamps on it and walks towards me, slowly, forcing me to wait for him. "Y'know, Trudy...I don't know how to explain it. The day you came into my life I knew you were somebody special."

Oh no.

"All this talk of you leaving...got me worried. That I'd lose you. That you'd move, and I'd never be able to tell you how I feel."

I stare at him, wordlessly. He takes it as a cue to continue.

"Truth is, I've seen you as more than a friend for quite a long while. Been wanting to tell you, but never got the opportunity. So that's it."

"That's it?"

"I mean, yeah." He smiles at me again, a complete difference from the aloof image he was showing a few minutes ago. Yeah. Like that's real. He's good-looking. That's about it for the list of redeeming characteristics he's got.

"I don't know what to say," I say, making his ears perk up. My next words have to be chosen very, very carefully. I dance around in my mind, for a bit, thinking of the correct words to say — but then I remember that he doesn't deserve anything. The way he's treated me over the past few weeks? Yeah. Fuck that. He's being let down as brutally as possible.

"But, eh, I don't see you in that way." I turn, and begin to walk away.

He doesn't follow.

VI. Nine

Fraser gives me one last ride in his tow truck, but this time it's to Kingsbury Station. I spy a tear in the corner of his eye as he waves goodbye to me like it's the last time I'll ever see him, but then I remind him that there's a good chance I'll be back. I don't comment on the tear. He just smiles — warmly — and tells me to give everything the best I've got.

It's early in the morning, meaning I haven't had time to say goodbye to anyone else; not to Mrs. Jones, not to Elaine, not to Marnie. Deep down, I feel a pang of regret at not thanking her for all she's done for me. Maybe one day I'll return.

The train ride's long, and it's very, very cold even when in the stations where I'm transferring around from train to train; but I'm in Straton in less than four hours. It's not a city that's alien to me; after all, it was basically my second home before I decided to run away. The sense of familiarity gnaws away at me, again; I shouldn't know this, but I do, because of who I am.

In a way, I'll never be able to fully separate myself from the Trudy I was before and the Trudy I am now, will I?

Either way, I soon find myself at the headquarters of the football federation; and soon, we find out who exactly we're going to be spending the next month with. Nine girls. Fourteen boys. It's awkward, of course; many of the boys aren't sure how to deal with the fact that there are now girls here and the girls are all very unfamiliar with everything that's going on.

The first night in the hotel us girls, at my invitation, all gather in my room and we all introduce ourselves to each other. Victoria. Annie. Wendy. Tracey. Susan. Valerie. Julie. Lynne. All of us are remarkably similar in that we were all handpicked by Toby; evidently he thought we were the best faces to represent the movement. But as we talk, we find out that we're so much more than that; we're all eager to prove ourselves, we're all looking to go fully professional, all full of hopes and dreams. All — well, mostly all, as I repeat the lie that by now's become second nature to me, as much as I hate it — of us come from humble backgrounds. All of us want to continue doing what we love.

As the weeks go by before our flight to northwestern Esportiva, we forge a sense of togetherness; but we're still quite split by gender. The boys generally ignore us unless they really need to talk to us, or interact with us. There are a few who do talk to us, but mostly they keep to themselves. I don't think they're used to having girls around. Either that or I suppose they think it's their game, after all. And it has been. For the past hundred years.

We're going to change that.

VI. kerr

We made it out of the group stages fine. But we're probably going to have to go home after our match against Tequilo. They're strong, fast, disciplined; we can't even beat the Equestrian States. But a win against Græntfjall put us where we are, and we've got a free day before we head off towards Platinastigrade, so Toby decided that we should just soak in the scenery. At least if we head home we'll have made some good memories.

But as I sit, scrolling through my phone and considering what I should do if things don't work out and I actually have to leave football — Kingsbury dissolving the women's team is now official, and I've got nowhere to go —, I notice one of the boys just standing in the middle of the town square, looking around. I know him. He's been one of the few boys who hasn't completely pooh-poohed our existence, and has actually been pretty nice to us. The boys elected him captain, which means we've had to talk on certain occasions; but otherwise we've kept our distance.

I sip on the iced coffee at my table, and sneak glances at him; Business Degree at Kingsbury Botany University. Fuck, he's looking at me. Marketing Degree at Lakewood University. I don't have any of the qualifications required to apply for this degree. Gain A Interdisciplinary Education in Clyde University. Fuck, he's walking here. What the fuck does he want?

The door opens with the bell on it jingling to represent someone's arrival. Annoyed, I try to ignore him as he orders food — a waffle with an iced chocolate — but he then decides to sit next to me.

"Beautiful day, isn't i"
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sat May 07, 2022 5:24 am

all the mogul's men
a one-shot set in the defender meets midfielder universe

DRAFT COPY DO NOT PUBLISH DRAFT COPY DO NOT PUBLISH DRAFT COPY DO NOT PUBLISH DRAFT COPY DO NOT

PUBLISH DRAFT COPY DO NOT PUBLISH DRAFT COPY DO NOT PUBLISH DRAFT COPY DO NOT PUBLISH DRAFT COPY

ALL IN THE FAMILY! SHOCKING RELEVATIONS REVEAL PREVIOUSLY UNKNOWN FAMILY CONNECTION BETWEEN BLACK EAGLES STAR AND MEDIA MOGUL

THE HAWK can exclusively reveal that Tumbran national team footballer Trudy Harrison is actually a member of the illustrious Harrison family, whose patriarch, Charles Harrison, owns Aurora Media Group — responsible for news outlets such as cable TV network Aurora, the Kingsbury Tribune, and several other media publications.

Trudy Harrison, 22, who plays for Chromatik side Chromatik, has been known to be remarkably coy on the matter of her family — she often says that she wishes to keep the matter private. Now, however, The Hawk can reveal that the reason she does so is because she does not want her name to be linked to her famous family — and that there exists a giant rift between the 59 year-old multibillionaire media mogul and the 22 year-old footballing superstar.

Interviews from several sources have revealed that while Charles Harrison wished for his daughter to join and one day take over the family business, the mercurial footballer chose not to go down this path, and instead wanted to strike out on her own. Charles Harrison — who, despite his wealth, is known to be an extreme recluse, rarely leaving his family home of Gleneagles Hall in northern Georgia except to conduct the most important of deals — has reportedly still not given up on that hope.

While Charles Harrison is known to have a daughter, little was known about said daughter — until The Hawk's discovery of her true identity. Previous statements by the Harrison family, coincidentally dating back to when Harrison started her career with the now-defunct Kingsbury United Ladies — have stated that their daughter is attending an "elite prestigious school in a foreign country." Yet, when reporters from The Hawk enquired with various schools in Esportiva and elsewhere in the world, no enrolment details for any Harrison was found anywhere — nor were any enrolment details for any of Charles Harrison's pseudonyms found.

The Chromatik superstar, who signed for the club after the Tumbran national football team's surprise success in the fourteenth edition of the Under-18 World Cup...

"We can't publish this."

"Why not? It's actual, good — well, good if I say so myself, heh — investigative journalism. Nothing like the shite the celebs desk prints out on the daily. I've got my sources — but I'm not going to name any of them."

An eyebrow shifted upwards.

"No, no, no — rest assured. Each of my sources is double-checked — there's nothing in this article that hasn't been corroborated by two separate sources. This is Page One stuff — it's a bombshell. This is news people actually want to read, not whether Terry Evans has gotten a sixth hooker pregnant or not, or whether Kenneth Everett is secretly bankrolled by Akhdari sheikhs in payments of cocaine or whatever —"

The eyebrow didn't move back down.

"You think I've made this shit up."

"I don't doubt you."

"Then?"

"We simply cannot publish this."

"I don't see why not."

"You've put Charles Harrison in this story."

"And?"

"I do not run stories about Charles Harrison."

"You ran one about him failing to take over some local media —"

"Let me rephrase that. I do not run negative personal stories about Charles Harrison."

"When did this become a policy?"

"It's not a policy. Never been."

"Then this is just you censoring me."

"Censorship, shmensorship. No. I am not censoring you because I love the man or anything. I am not censoring you. I am simply taking steps — preventative steps, at that! — to save your career. And, as a matter of fact, this paper."

"I call bull."

"You can take this story to any other newspaper. Every other paper will tell you the same thing. They do not run negative personal stories about Charles Harrison. Hell, you'd be hard-pressed to get them to publish anything personal about him."

"I still don't —"

"Listen, I think this is a wonderful piece of journalism. I really, really do, and you're one of my best. I don't get, however, how you're still being so fucking dense about this."

Silence.

"Why don't you have a seat? I'll tell you about a world in which this story made Page One of tomorrow's paper."

The sentence sounded like a request. It was a command. It was obliged. A cigar was lit and smoked.

"Let's say I publish this story. Tomorrow's paper, page one, Charles Harrison is Trudy Harrison's father. Amazing. Great. First actual piece of news we've published in about half a century or so. Copies fly off the shelves. Highest circulation in the last twenty-five years, after the time we reported Andrew Rainer had a lovechild in some bumfuck country where the birds don't lay eggs and the dogs don't shit. Fan-bloody-tastic. You're now in line for Senior Reporter."

"The next day, we receive a lawyer's letter. From the Harrisons' lawyer, of course — Charles, not Trudy — telling us that we've published an absolute lie, even though this story is probably the most truthful thing we've published in the last decade. Says we publish a retraction or we get sued till we're wearing a cardboard box for trousers."

"Do you follow where I am going with this? Now let's say I say no, because we're a bastion of free speech. We're now in court for libel — to insinuate that some dirty, unwashed footballer, however good she may be, is the daughter of the second richest man in Tumbra is probably enough grounds for him to sue. No, his lawyer says, the Harrison daughter and future head of Aurora Media Group is some straight-A student at some far-flung foreign university who's president of three societies and also dating some Quebecois prince. Out come the transcripts, out come the witnesses, out comes all the bullshit to prove that this Harrison daughter, whomever the hell she is, is not the person in your report. If your report is true — and I do think it is — the Harrison daughter will never appear in court. She won't have to."

"But that'd be perjury —"

"Justice is a fantasy. The scales are always tipped, and never in the direction of the man on the street. So we lose. We go bankrupt. We are acquired by the Aurora Media Group, and the Daily Hawk name disappears forever. All of us are laid off, and are rendered unemployable because we dared to cross Charles Harrison. No media outlet in the country will hire any of us."

"Okay, let's say —"

"Okay. Let's consider the other scenario. Let's say I give in, because Charles Harrison's a scary cunt, and I don't like dealing with scary cunts. I print a full, front-page retraction the next day taking up half the bloody front page, like the lawyer's letter says. I fire you."

"Wait, wh—?"

"The lawyer's letter includes an explicit instruction that the paper must cease any and all association with the reporter who wrote the story, to prevent the possibility of such an event happening again."

"This is bullsh—"

"So I have no choice. If I do not comply, I get taken to court for libel. I lose the case, as I have covered, and I now spend my days underneath one of Straton's expressways, wearing a cardboard box and nothing else. So, unfortunately, I have to let you go."

"So I'll —"

"So you apply somewhere else. Nobody responds. You have been blacklisted. You now have no future in the media industry, and a promising career is now over. You, instead of me, now wear a cardboard box for clothes underneath one of Straton's expressways. Or maybe one day I'll run across you in some fast food restaurant, and you'll be asking me whether I want fries with my meal."

Silence.

"Now let's say you take this story and just don't do anything with it. You go back to your desk, and type a fluff piece about how chocolate actually is healthy or some other crackpot nonsense. Or, if you want something more serious, you write about how the left is making mathematics racist. Throw in some buzzwords, whatever. It'll be a crank piece. But you'll still be here, tomorrow. And the day after next. And the day after that one. You'll still be here. I'll still be here. One day, you might even be sitting where I am now."

"But most importantly, neither of us, nor anyone out there," the man behind the desk said, matter-of-factly, jabbing the remnants of his cigar at the newsfloor outside the office, spreading ashes across the desk, "has to wear cardboard boxes as clothes in a year's time. I could throw you under the bus, you know. I could easily see the dollar signs in this story, take it, run, print the retraction the next day and leave you on your arse without any clothes. But I'm protecting you. I'm protecting all of us."

"I do not want to fuck with Charles Harrison. Do you get me? I have seen newspapers fuck with the Harrison family and get burnt. I am not going to be the next one in line. Self-immolation has never crossed my mind, and it is certainly not something I want to start doing. I understand your disappointment, I truly do — but this for the best. For you. For me. For everyone, if you needed reminding."

"I understand," came the bitter reply after several seconds of contemplation.

"Good. You may go."
Last edited by Tumbra on Sat May 07, 2022 7:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Mon May 09, 2022 12:45 pm

defender meets midfielder: season 6, part 1
right back where we started from

??

Trudy Harrison didn't know where she was. Or did she? It looked vaguely familiar. She was...on a green surface. With white markings. There were tall, white walls all around her. But they looked very, very far away. Was she back in the Dome? The season had ended a while ago. Yes, they'd chased Wirr Tsi right down to the wire, but their title had been snatched right back from them after having it spend just one season with the Capitalizt. But that wasn't of any concern right now.

A ball rolled to her feet. Instinctively, Trudy set off on a run towards what she thought was the opposition goal; but her legs refused to move. Every time she tried to take a step forward, she felt herself sinking into the green field, which increasingly felt more and more like water. The goal, which was there a few seconds ago, had disappeared. The walls of the Capitalizt Dome had been replaced with a grey fog. A fog that was closing in on her. She tried to turn around, ball forgotten; but there was only the fog. And she was still sinking, too; she'd only been knee deep in the mire a few seconds ago, but it was slowly creeping up on her. Now she was waist deep; and she was still sinking. She tried, hard, to push her hands against the green field — but found her arms pushing right through it. It felt like water; but she couldn't actually feel it. No, she was sinking into it, and there was nothing she could do.

The fog had nearly encompassed Trudy, now; she dared not think about what would happen if she was taken under. The fog had grown greyer, and was blackening; it was billowing strongly, too. A sound of thunder reverberated; a previously non-existent wind had begun to bellow. She was nearly under; she found herself desperately trying to move her legs to tread whatever this substance was; craning her neck, trying to breathe in her last gulps of precious, precious air before she found herself fully pulled under the undertow of whatever this green substance was —

And then there was the familiar, navel-pulling sensation of being dropped; of falling. Whatever the thing she'd fallen into was, it wasn't water. She was still breathing, somehow; but as she fell, familar scenes started to echo, started to reverberate around her. But she knew what was coming up. This wasn't the first time Trudy Harrison had experienced this dream; and every time she had, she'd earnestly prayed to whatever gods existed that the dream wouldn't return. But no; time and time again, when she was least expecting it, the dream would return. The beginning was always different — one time she found herself in a street full of red lanterns, which vaguely reminded her of Z'ai'ai, and another she found herself looking at Mount Prinzessin — but it always ended the same way.

She braced herself. There it was. The mahogany walls, the long corridor, with the ornate desk and chair at the end; something positively out of the 19th century. But she knew what was happening; every time she wanted to walk in the opposite direction, but every time she knew that she had to listen to his long tirade, again. So she began walking. One step at a time. One.

Eventually, Trudy reached the desk; and sat down in the green-upholstered chair. There was nobody opposite her; but the voice began. It was the same, every time. Disembodied, floating around her, in that oh-so-familiar tone of scorn and disgust. All she could do was sit, close her eyes and hope for it to be over.

"I have given you everything you need to succeed in life. And you dare come here and tell me that you want to throw all of that away. And for what, exactly, pray tell? For what? A career in sport? Young lady..."

"We've been through this before. My answer is no. You are not going to play football..."

"..and in about six months, what are you going to do? Show up at the front gate, with your three cars' full of belongings, crying and wanting to be let back in? Pah! I know how this is going to go..."

"...Leave? I'd like to see you try..."

"...never shown an ounce of self-reliance, and to think you're going to be the one heading this empire of mine one day..."

"...leading it to ruin..."

And then she couldn't take it anymore.

Trudy Harrison screamed.

Chromia

One of the things about being in a relationship where your girlfriend lived with you was that she tended to sleep in the same bed as you. It'd taken a bit of time to get used to bumping into something in the middle of the night, and remembering — oh shit, that's actually my girlfriend, and I actually have one — or having someone bump into you and having to resist every fibre in your being telling you to jump out of the bed, grabbing the nearest solid object and going to town on whatever the hell you'd bumped into.

But Stephen Kerr managed. It'd taken a bit of a while to get used to it, but he'd gotten into the rhythm of things, and slowly had grown to appreciate the presence of the other human in his bed that he called his girlfriend. And team-mate. And also best friend. Something he hadn't gotten used to, however, was the thrashing that had begun a while back. There were nights of peace; there were nights where Trudy didn't stir. But some nights, she'd kick and move around wildly in bed; and Stephen found himself in the unenviable situation of having to wake her up, while being half-asleep himself. On those nights, it often took a long, long time for both of them to get back to sleep.

Tonight, though, his sleep wasn't disturbed by her kicking. Well, it was, a little bit; it was her kicking that alerted him that she was going through it again. But it was the scream that woke him up right away. This wasn't any scream; this was a cry for help. He glanced over; yes, she was thrashing about again. Immediately, he pulled on the cord of the bedside lamp, and took one of her hands into his, while preparing to embrace her when she woke up —

Trudy Harrison sat up like she'd been shocked, eyes wide open; breathing heavily and rapidly. Sweat lined her forehead; and Stephen immediately, silently, squeezed her hand three times. And after a bit of time, her breathing slowed; she fell into Stephen's outstreched arms, and embraced him rightly.

"I'm here. I'm here, Trudy, I'll always be here. You're okay now. You're safe."

"I know," she whispered. It could barely be heard. "I know. I love you..."

"I love you too."

The two sat in silence for a bit, deep in embrace, before they disentangled themselves from each other. Trudy sat in a foetal position. Stephen didn't know if it was time to broach the subject — after all, his girlfriend had just gone through a deeply traumatic experience. But he decided to try, anyway.

"That dream, that — that nightmare," he whispered, stumbling over his own words. "It was the same one again, wasn't it?"

A nod confirmed his suspicion.

"We're safe here, Trudy. We're safe. We're here. I'm here. With you. I know a bit about what it's like to be in your shoes. You are safe with me. I will do my best to protect you, no matter what happens. If it ever happens."

A small smile emerged.

"I know." She leant in and pecked Stephen on the lips. Her smile, however, melted away as quickly as it appeared. "I just wish I knew why I was having these-these dreams, you know? Every time it begins differently, and then it ends with you comforting me. And I feel horrid; it's your sleep I'm harming, too."

"Don't say that."

"I just wish I knew. There's been so much happening. I don't know why the training camp's going to take place in Kingsbury, for God's sake; we've got a Straton facility that works just as well —"

"Baffles me, too. I know you're apprehensive about this trip. Believe me, I am, too. But we'll spend as little time in that place as we can; I promise. Once we're done there, we're leaving. I've already talked to Boss about it; he doesn't exactly understand but he's given the go-ahead for us to spend the rest of our time in Tumbra in Straton. And then, uh, you'll finally be able to meet my family..." Stephen's voice trailed off. It'd started so well, too.

"I don't know why I waited a whole year to confess to you."

She was joking. That meant she was okay. Or somewhere along the line to that. Time to test it out.

"Well, you were probably too taken with how good I looked —"

A pillow was thrown in his direction; Stephen made a cursory attempt to dodge it, but he took the hit in jest. But that was how he knew.

When they both fell asleep ten minutes later, Stephen had a hopeful smile on his face.

Somewhere over the Típota Parapéra

Time had come and gone, and the two were finally on their way back to Tumbra. Direct flights from Tumbra to Chromatika and vice versa were relatively rare; that they were able to catch this one was a miracle in itself. There had been gawking, of course; but the moment the two entered their first class suite, they'd closed the door behind them and had been left in relative peace ever since.

Stephen had his eye covers on and was snoring away; Trudy was, once again, looking outside, at the stars of Anaia. Soon, they'd be in familiar territory; soon, they'd be in the seas of Esportiva. She couldn't help but think about Kingsbury, though. She'd spent so much time trying to escape the clutches of her father — which, to be fair, extended all throughout Tumbra — and now she was willingly walking into the lion's den. Yes, Steppenham was very far away from Kingsbury; but it was only a four hour car ride. There was an apprehension, a doubt that kept crossing her mind; that although she was certain nothing would happen, there was always that thought — what if it did? What if that fear, that was possibly unsubstantiated, were realised? It was difficult for Trudy to understand, let alone comprehend; she knew Stephen always tried his best, bless him, but both of them knew that her fears were something a little more than just a phobia. Her father was rich. Powerful. Had lots of money. The two of them had lots of money, too, but it was nothing, nothing to the wealth her family had.

In this country, wealth bought you anything. Charles Harrison had almost everything he wanted.

But he didn't have his daughter.

Kingsbury International Airport

The airport was familiar, but Trudy hated every second of it. She hated having to pick up her luggage on the carousel; she hated having to wait in line and scan her thumbprint to be granted access to her country. Even with Stephen Kerr by her side, she still wanted to get through everything as fast as possible; and get to the training camp without attracting much attention. Today was the last possible day to check in; they'd waited until the very, very last day to come to Kingsbury.

But it wasn't enough.

The two of them stepped out of the airport, and were hit with the full heat of the Kingsbury summer; which, for both of them, took a while to get used to. But in that summer heat, there were two things that couldn't be missed.

The first thing was the rear door of what looked like an expensive sedan opening. Trudy took one look at the intricate crest near the front of the car, and her heart sank. Her worst fear had come true.

The second thing was a black-suited man coming up to Trudy, and whispering into her ear. She didn't know this man. But she knew why he was here. And in that moment, when she let go of the handle of her luggage and allowed the suited man to take it, she'd already accepted defeat.

All she could do at that moment was grasp firmly onto Stephen's hand and squeeze it three times.

Stephen could only squeeze back.

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sat May 14, 2022 11:46 am

defender meets midfielder: season 6, part 2
pride and (a lot more) prejudice

Georgia

The black car rushed the down the expressway, almost ignorant of whatever the speed limit was. Sure, the speed limit on the federal highway system was rather permissive, but Stephen Kerr rather thought the car was going a bit too fast, even for his liking. Still, though, there was nothing he could do. The two of them were separated from their driver in the front seat through a plexiglass shield one might have observed in a taxi. There were no words exchanged; there existed only silence.

He'd only really gotten around to figuring out what was going on. Nobody had told him anything; as far as he was concerned, he was but an afterthought in this whole scheme. The posse of suited men and women had basically ignored him the whole time, and it took Trudy basically grabbing his arm and bringing him into the car with her that they actually paid attention to him. Would they have left him at the airport if she hadn't done that? These people did seem pretty single-minded.

When they'd arrived in Kingsbury, the sun had still been rising; now the sun was properly in the air. How long had they been travelling for? Stephen had done some long travels — after all, Chromia to Kingsbury itself was a really, really long journey — but it'd felt like they'd been on the road for longer. And there were still so many questions in his mind that he wanted answers to. He looked over at Trudy, who herself was staring out of the other window. She wasn't going to provide any answers. Not for now, at least.

Where were they going?

Who were these — okay, that question had basically already been answered. There were only so many people who wanted Trudy Harrison this badly. But why had she given up so easily, so early? They could've run for it; they could've jumped into the nearest taxi.

But what did they want with her?

A fourth, more stupid question cropped up. How were they going to explain to Yuan that they were going to be late for the training camp? It seemed ridiculous considering the circumstances, but...yeah, no. This was a stupid line of thought. He looked back at Trudy, who was still steadfastly staring out of the other window. An intense feeling of longing washed over Stephen. All he wanted to do was be with her, know what she was feeling, and go through everything with her. But there were so many questions that remained unanswered; and so little that he knew.

He didn't know if she could even tell him. But all he could do was give her a sign that everything was going to be okay; and that they were here, together. So slowly, he reached out to her; took her hand in his, and squeezed three times. It wasn't much, but he felt her relax.

And that was enough.

Somehow, it'd come to this. She'd always known that this was going to happen the day the two of them returned to Kingsbury; that they'd be swept up in a car, away, and back to the house of her nightmares. Was that why she'd let go, given up the moment the man whispered that her father had sent them, and he'd wanted a meeting? Maybe.

It was inevitable.

For the briefest flash of a second, she'd considered screaming, grabbing Stephen and making a run for the nearest taxi; but they'd find the two of them, anyway. They'd always find them. Tumbra was always so big, and the only choice they had to not return to the country was to stay away forever, and deny the Black Eagles their footballing skills forever. To a country that was beginning to have designs on the World Cup, it was unforgivable. Not to mention she'd never allow herself to forgo a chance to represent the country, however much she disliked i—

She didn't dislike Tumbra, actually. She disliked her father. The country was so obviously in the pockets of people like him that sometimes it was difficult to separate the two. But when she played in the black and yellow, when she was being cheered on by the ordinary people, it was different. It felt different, at least. Every cheer, every chant, every measure of support when any of the Black Eagles touched the ball; they were what she came back to this country for.

The Kingsbury wheatfields zoomed past. She recognised these roads; they were about an hour away from Gleneagles. But at the speed they were going, they were possibly going to be there in time for lunch.

Perhaps the years she'd spent away from her father was just him allowing her the time she wanted, she'd needed, to explore her football career. She'd suspected as much when he hadn't sent his army of people down to Kingsbury to hunt for her. Now, though, having won several trophies, it was time for her to return, to take her place at his side and begin to take over the reigns at the behemoth that was Aurora. Playtime's over, she could hear him say. It's time to wake up and start working.

But the feeling she probably felt the most right now was guilt. Not for absconding, mind; she'd enjoyed her years away from Georgia — after all, it'd given her everything she had, including the man that was sitting right next to her. But it was exactly him that she was feeling guilty towards. For dragging him into her life. Sure, he'd said that he would be there for her, whatever happened, but she always got the feeling that he was not going to be ready for whatever was about to happen. He was, at heart, a Straton boy who'd grown up in an entirely middle-class existence. He didn't know just how much opulence, just how much excess had been in her life before she'd upped sticks and departed for the rental house in Kingsbury. She couldn't bear to turn and look at him; but she knew that if she hadn't grabbed Stephen's hand and stared daggers at her father's assistants, there was every chance they'd have whisked her away with no regard for her boyfriend. She couldn't allow that to happen.

Three squeezes on her right hand, seemingly coming from nowhere, told her she wasn't alone. Somehow that was enough. She relaxed. It was all going to be fine. Finally, she tore her glance away from the wheat fields, and glanced back at Stephen, who was smiling at her, holding her hand.

And in that moment, all her thoughts disappeared. She smiled, and squeezed back.

It really was all going to be fine. Probably.

North Georgia

Trudy Harrison couldn't bring herself to look at the house. It was the same as it always had been — a brown monolith, built in the 1600s and passed down the generations, and fixed up by the Harrison family — but somehow it was just difficult to look at. Sure, it was majestic, and in the middle of tons of unspoiled nature; but it was also home to most of her youth, where she'd been kept like a bird in a cage.

And now she was back here.

The lake, still resplendent in its beauty. The perfectly manicured lawn, and the winding paths leading up to the mansion itself. The memories — almost none of them good — were still here. A band-aid had been ripped off, almost; she could still remember the last time she was leaving this place, in the middle of the night. With just a suitcase and a train ticket to her name.

The car came to an abrupt stop a few hundred metres away from the house itself. Stephen's door was practically flung open; but Trudy's door was treated with a bit more respect. A kind smile awaited her when she stepped out of the car — and who else was it but the family's butler, Walter Keating. He was the one who'd helped Trudy escape, and now he was welcoming her back. One look at his eyes, however, and she knew that he felt pity that they had to reunite this way.

"Miss Harrison, welcome back."

"Walter. It's...good...to see you."

"It is very good to see you too. And your...friend."

"Yes." She contemplated whether it was safe to tell Walter about her and Stephen. "My...friend."

"I don't follow football that often, Ms. Harrison, not in my old age, at least, but even I know who that is.". Walter turned to Stephen, who'd made his way to Trudy, carrying his luggage. Of course, Trudy's was already being carried to the house by the army of assistants. "Mister Kerr. It is very nice for you to grace us with your presence," Walter began, sincerely. "I hope that you will enjoy your time at Gleneagles, even if your presence is a bit of a surprise."

"I...uh...thanks," he stammered out. This was not where he expected to be, especially not after his long flight. Was he dreaming? Had Stephen and Trudy actually been kidnapped? Why were they here? Was this actually where Trudy had grown up?

Walter motioned to Stephen's suitcase. "Would you like me to, ah..."

"No, uh, no thanks. I'm fine, hah. I'll carry my own suitcase."

"If you wish." And slowly, they set off on their way to the imposing building in the distance. He'd never seen anything like it before, really. Then again, most people wouldn't ever. Even here, he felt alone. Walter and Trudy were walking side by side on the gravel path, with Walter presumedly telling Trudy what was about to happen. He lagged behind them, trying to pull his suitcase along the gravel path; but it simply didn't feel like following.

He hoped he wouldn't have to be here for long. It was nice — it was pretty, and he was certain it was comfortable — but there was something about it that made him feel deeply uncomfortable. Maybe it was just that he stuck out like a sore thumb.

A fish out of water.

The moment they'd stepped into the house, Stephen had been led away to his own room. All he saw before he got whisked away through an impressive series of corridors before being punted into a small, yet still extremely luxurious guest room with an ensuite toilet was Trudy looking positively apologetic. That was it, however.

Stephen Kerr sat down on the edge of the queen-sized bed, and stared out of the window into the vast surroundings of Gleneagles Park. He didn't know what was going to happen — all he wanted was for Trudy to be okay.

"Well, obviously, the arrival of your friend complicates matters, but he'll be well taken care of; and he'll have, of course, full access to everything we have here. For the duration of your stay."

"I don't care about that, Walter. I want him here, with me. He is my boy—"

"I know. The look on your face told me. But the moment he knows, he is going to do everything in his power to try and pry the two of you apart. And the both of us know that he probably knows as well, too."

"So be it. If he knows, I want him at tea with me and Mom and Dad. He's part of my life. I want him to hear everything."

"Are you sure about this?"

Trudy sighed. "All my life, Walter, I've gone through it mostly alone. I've only gotten help from you, and the few other people in this place who've been on my side since the beginning. I've found someone I want to go through life with, Walter. We both understand each other; we both love each other, even after he learned of, well, this. I don't think now's a good time to start excluding him from my life. And besides, I'm not going to leave my career behind to join Aurora."

"Very well. Wait here."

Barely half an hour had passed before another butler had come to Stephen's room, announcing curtly that his presence had been requested at tea. Along with the invitation was a clothes rack, with several suits.

"Can't I just go in —"

"No," the butler said, suitably po-faced.

"It's tea. Tea? God, who even uses that term anymore?"

"You are about to have tea with Charles Harrison," came the withering reply, lingering on the word that Stephen had just disparaged. "I would advise that you dress appropriately. We have provided these options for you," the butler said, pointing at the rack of suits and shoes. "Pray choose soon; Mister Harrison dislikes having his tea delayed. I am here to assist."

"If you say so. Come in."

Ten minutes later, dressed in the least comfortable set of formal clothes that he had ever worn, Stephen Kerr stumbled out of his room.

"It's bloody warm in here."

"Manners maketh man, Mr. Kerr. I wouldn't advise using that kind of language when in Mr. Harrison's presence. Now if you will follow me."

Through another set of seemingly inscrutable corridors later, Stephen was re-united with Trudy, who herself had changed into a sea-green dress. She stood outside the place that the master of the house was seemingly in, pacing up and down; when Stephen appeared, Trudy beamed, walked close to him, and immediately got to fixing his collar, while talking in a low voice.

"You look great."

"You too. Listen, I hate this."

"I'm sorry..."

"Will we even be able to spend any time together? I have questions. Lots of them. And I don't feel comfortable talking to anyone else here. Pissing butler's no different from a robot. I've just been shoved in a random room like sixteen corridors away. Was your entire childhood like—"

"Yes, actually."

"I'm sorry."

The door to the balcony on which Charles Harrison was supposedly in was slid open; and Walter stepped through. "Ms. Harrison? Mr. Harrison is ready to receive you. And you too, Mr. Kerr."

Trudy grasped Stephen's hands and clasped them within her own. "Listen, whatever happens in there, just accept it. I'll do most of the talking; try to say as little as possible. You don't know what my father is like; I'll do most of the talking. I promise, when we get enough time, I'll explain as much as I can."

All Stephen could do was nod. Three squeezes of the hand. Three squeezes were returned.

Then they walked through the door, Stephen a few steps behind Trudy.

The balcony overlooked a hilly overlook, and a forest. It wasn't exactly the most appealing scenery, but they were very, very far away from almost everything. Three chairs had been laid out, one evidently more hastily placed than the other; and a cart with a venerable amount of pastries and other confectionaries was placed close to the table. A cup of tea had been laid out for the man at the head of the table; who, upon realising the two of them had entered, turned around and stood up. Clad in a suit of his own, a smile emerged on his face; and he took off his sunglasses as he laid eyes upon his daughter and the man who had entered with them.

"It's been a while, hasn't it?"

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Tue May 17, 2022 11:26 am

defender meets midfielder: season 6, part 3
the house of the harrisons

Gleneagles Hall, Georgia

"Father."

"Trudy, it is so wonderful to see you again after all this time. And...Stephen, is it? Stephen Kerr, the up-and-coming defender for the Tumbran national team? Amazing. I have seen and heard so much of your performances. After all, the news is my business, and I have to be on top of it all. I wasn't expecting you to be here with my daughter, of course, but it is such a pleasure," beamed Charles Harrison. Here he was, the second-richest man in Tumbra; and Stephen Kerr was standing face-to-face with him.

Stephen smiled in response, perhaps more easily than expected, though by no means comfortably. He wasn't expecting the man to lavish such praise on him the moment he'd met him. His impression of Charles was that of a demanding, ruthless businessman; who had little to no emotional capacity and neither the will nor wish to deal with them. Austere, cold, distant; all of those words had been bandied about in whispers, when Trudy worked up the courage to talk to Stephen about him. But here he'd been greeted — the rough beginning with the other butler notwithstanding, of course — with warmth. And respect.

Would a Thank you suffice? What should I say? Nothing at all?

"It's...good to meet...you...too," the words tumbled out of Stephen's mouth. Charles laughed. Stephen half expected him to turn into some kind of demon.

"Have a seat. Tea was just served, dear boy, and I don't think you'll want to miss this. I've just received a fresh shipment of caviar from Aboveland. Combine this with Kyrasian foie gras, and good old Georgian bread, and I think you'll have a culinary experience for the ages. And it's only afternoon!" Charles gently motioned towards the table, where the food had been laid out beforehand. There lay the inky black caviar, freshly un-canned; and several pieces of brown bread lay arranged alongside it. Then, of course, on a plate next to it, the flesh-coloured lump that could really only be the foie gras.

Charles pulled a chair at the far side of the table out for Stephen, and Stephen sat. Somehow he felt like he was on rails; being controlled by strings. Everything in his brain was actively telling him that there was something wrong, and yet every muscle in his body was telling him to go with what was happening.

Trudy sat down, nonplussed, opposite Stephen; while Charles re-took his old place at the head of the table.

"Well, now that we're all here, let's eat. Stephen, you've never eaten anything like this before, have you?"

"No."

"Well, don't take too much of the two ingredients, now; too much and you'll overwhelm your taste buds. Go on," he said, eagerly jabbing his tableknife in the general direction of the foie gras. "Slice just a bit off; you'll be surprised at just how much there is on this. Ye-e-es, just that much." he mumbled, seemingly approvingly. Stephen could do nothing except meekly follow Charles' instructions, and missed Trudy turning away from the whole scene and rolling her eyes at just how stupid Stephen was being.

"Then the caviar; yes, that's about right, go on, spread that on the bread as well, and there you have it." A brief sip of tea followed. "Would you like a cup? From the highlands in...Tayakam, I think it was. It's good tea. You must try it." A cup was poured, and served in a cup that looked about a hundred years old. Stephen gave a brief nod of thanks to the butler, while smiling uncomfortably. He glanced over at Trudy, who was just silently eating the bread. Without foie gras. Or caviar. And also staring darkly at the table knife in front of her.

Stephen took a bite into the bread. God, the taste was rich. And salty. But it tasted...good. It was certainly a foreign sensation to his tongue. The way the individual eggs rolled around in his mouth, before he bit down and the little bit of liquid within spurted onto his tongue, confusing his poor taste buds even more. But he somehow came out of it wanting...a bit more. He looked over at Charles, who was positively beaming at Stephen.

"Now. Tell me a bit more about yourself."

An Indeterminate Amount Of Minutes (That Feels Like Sixty But Is Probably Closer To Ten) Later

"It was very, very interesting hearing about you, Stephen. With luck, maybe you shall become a regular guest at my place whenever you visit Tumbra. I am sure you will enjoy the rest of your time here; thank you for joining us. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a few things I have to discuss with Trudy—"

"Actually, I'd like for him to stay."

"Really, Trudy? I'm not sure if it's appropriate for him to sit in on our...family matters. After all, I haven't properly seen my daughter in so many years. Surely I can get some alone time with her?"

"N-n-no, I'd like for Stephen to stay. He is a guest and a g-good friend, after all," she stuttered, staring daggers at Stephen.

"I'd like to stay, yeah..." he mumbled, relatively unconvincingly.

Charles turned to Stephen. "Stephen, you've been amazing, though I must ask you to respect our privacy. I will get Walter to show you around — perhaps there might be something of interest in the house, and he'll show you some of the activities that you'll be able to enjoy in the time you're still here. I think you'd enjoy it, wouldn't you?" Another warm smile, though this one distinctly felt a bit less genuine and had a bit of — steel? venom? — in it. This was not a request. This was a command.

Stephen glanced back at Trudy, who let out a visible sigh and looked downwards. His heart sank; he'd basically allowed himself to be strong-armed into following whatever Charles had said. And he'd let Trudy down in the process.

"I...uh..."

There was no response from the defeated Trudy. Stephen allowed himself to be escorted out by the same people that had brought him in. The massive double doors out to the balcony closed behind him with a massive thunk, and he was gone. Face to face with Walter.

"Mr. Kerr. How was your meeting with Mr. Harrison?" the elderly butler asked, with a slight smile of cordiality betraying nothing more.

"It went, uh, fine, I guess? I don't know. I really want to be back there, with Trud—"

"Unfortunately, that will not be possible. I shall bring you on a tour of the house; we can talk more then."

Stephen resigned himself to having to be away from Trudy even more than he needed to be. Leaving her alone with the one man she feared the most. "Fine," he conceded. "Let's go."

Back On The Balcony

There she was. Again. Back in the home she'd left. Alone. With her father. Stephen could be anywhere now, though the only saving grace was that he was with Walter; who'd probably fill him in on the bits of the story he was missing out on. Still, though, she swore at him in her mind; Stephen, the dumbo, had allowed himself to be manipulated by her father without him even lifting a single finger —

"Trudy," he said, sitting down where Stephen had previously sat. A napkin was proffered by another butler; he took it and dabbed the corners of his mouth with it. The warm smile had disappeared; there was only the cold, steely eyes that Trudy knew so well. "You probably do not believe a single word I say —"

"Right. You're right. I don't."

Charles sighed. "But I do mean it when I say it's good to see you."

Trudy steeled herself. You cannot trust him. You cannot trust anything he says. Even if he is your father.

"This is a meeting I would rather have avoided. At all. The only reason why I'm here is because —"

"Yes, your grandmother. But I also thought now might be a good time to discuss your future. You've been gone for several years, now. Made your own name. Playtime's about over, don't you think?" Charles nonchalantly grabbed a piece of bread and spread foie gras on it, then scooped up the caviar and dumped it on the foie gras almost casually. Trudy noticed this — Stephen had held the food like it was gold. Here, though, her father was engaging in excesses she didn't know possible.

"I've got a career of my own, and I'm not about to give it up."

"And what about afterwards? Will you finally take your place by my side? I've come to the conclusion that so long as you join me, it doesn't really matter. If anything, your experience as a footballer's a selling point. People lap that up."

"My career is not meant to become just another bullet point on my resume, some unique selling point to make myself more marketable. I don't want to go into the media industry, Father; I don't wish to join the business of peddling lies and half-baked truths. We haven't talked in such a long time, but I haven't changed."

"Evidently not. Still as stubborn, obstinate, headstrong, wayward, as ever," Charles grumbled. The genteel, refined edge to Charles' accent had nearly disappeared; replaced with a harsher tone.

"Just like my mother, then."

"Young lady, don't bring your own mother into this." Another bite of the bread. A sharp inhale. "I thought allowing you to spend some time away would get your head straight. That pursuing football for a few years would get that dream of yours out of your system. I was wrong."

"I don't know what you expected. I mean, I'm me. Your daughter. I was always like this."

"Maybe so. Perhaps I was too foolish, too naïve, too blind; allowing my...my own familial relationships to get in the way of objective decision making. It seems that has been my downfall. All I wished was for my daughter to carry on my family business, keep the family fortune as is. Now I'll have to labour till the day I die. Unless..."

"Unless?" Trudy did not like that word. She hadn't been taught by her father in the ways of business for so long, now, but her instincts still didn't betray here. He wasn't thinking about —

A sly grin, one more malicious than the one he'd shown Stephen at the beginning of luncheon, emerged onto the 59 year-old's face.

"Interesting fellow, Stephen," Charles mentioned, almost too casually, as he began stirring the tea in his cup. Taking his time, and ensuring that Trudy was now hanging onto his every word, he took a sip. "You two are friends? Just friends, hm?"

Trudy tried her best not to betray what was going on in her mind, but a familiar nauseating sensation began forming in the pit of her stomach. Charles' eyes looked as though they were drilling into her...

Somewhere Else In Gleneagles Hall

"I want to talk to Trudy. We haven't gotten a single private moment since we stepped into this house, and I need to know what's going on," Stephen said, visibly irritated by the maze of corridors Walter was leading him down. "And you're not helping. I thought you were on —"

A shush from Walter. "Just follow me."

"I don't want to go on this house tour, Mr. Walter; I want to see —"

"Mr. Kerr, you know as well as I do that that is very much impossible. If Mr. Harrison wishes to have time alone with his daughter, it would be highly difficult, not to mention risky for all three of us, for us to barge in and go against him. I know what the plan was. I know she wanted you there, but it was simply unfeasible."

"Why did you not just tell her that, then?"

"Because she has already heard enough bad news this day." Walter unlocked a door with a key he produced from one of his pockets. "In. And I will, to the best of my ability, tell you as much as I can."

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sat May 21, 2022 11:28 am

defender meets midfielder: season 6, part 4
family matters

Gleneagles Hall, Georgia

The room that Stephen had been ushered into was more shabbily-furnished than the more opulent surroundings of the one he'd been thrust into just a few hours before. Immediately after the door was shut behind him, Walter strode over to a cupboard and withdrew a flask of what was presumably tea. After taking a seat at a plain, wooden table, he invited Stephen to sit with him — with a warm smile.

It was the warmest smile anyone had shown him up to that point. Sure, Charles had smiled at him, but that one now struck him as genuinely insincere. He couldn't recall where he'd read the quote before, but Walter struck him as someone who was smiling with his eyes. Charles, on the other hand, only smiled with his mouth. Stephen gratefully sat at the table and began undoing his tie.

"I do apologise for the way you've been treated thus far, Stephen. You must understand —"

"Yeah, I know, I wasn't planned to be here. So what's going on? Why was Trudy dragged back here? Why'd she give up so easily at the airport?"

The flask was uncovered; Walter took a deep, long swig. "How much of Trudy's story do you know? How much has she told you, and all that?"

"Well." Stephen gulped; trying to recall all this at short notice was a bit of a challenge. "She grew up in Georgia. Home-schooled. Ran away from home at 17. Met me. And now we're here. To be honest, she talked a lot about her dad. Less about the rest of her family. Not you, even. Which is convenient, because I've got questions of my own."

Walter shrugged. Was it an invitation to keep going? He decided it was. "What relationship do you have with her?"

"Well, I'm the butler. The family's head butler, at least. Walter Keating; I've seen Trudy grow since she was a baby."

"Okay. So you're her butler. What's up with this, then?"

His face fell, slightly. "It does sound like she did give you a fairly thorough overview of what went on. Before she met you, at least."

"I...I guess. Though she never mentioned you. Or the rest of her family. What's up with that?"

"Stephen, Trudy is here because her father willed it so. You have seen his house; you know who he is. He sent the cars because he didn't want any chance of him missing out on trying to get her back here. Why do you think the football federation switched your training camp — or, I believe it is a training camp — from Straton to here?"

A sinking feeling began to manifest in Stephen's stomach. He began looking around for something to drink, but before he'd even said anything a glass of warm water was on the table in front of him. "Drink up."

"You mean...he paid? A sly nod confirmed his suspicion. "But-but what could be so important, so..."

"...so urgent as to get her to come back? I'm going to tell you a story, Stephen. It'll be quite a long one, but I think it'll go a long way to filling up some of the gaps in the story."

"Why are you doing this?"

"You are her boyfriend, no?"

A momentary silence ensued.

"Was it that —"

"Yes. And if it's obvious to me, it'll be obvious to him, too."

"What gave it away?"

"Well, that you're standing here, right now, is a pretty big giveaway. You two thought you were being subtle, weren't you?"

"Well —"

Walter laughed. "It doesn't matter. You young people...anyway."

"When I said I'd seen Trudy grow since I was a baby, I meant it. My wife Bridget, who's now retired, was her nanny. Back when she was born Charles hadn't become the recluse he's now become. He was always jet-setting around, making and closing deals, and all that. After all, he'd just taken over the company from his own dad — and was very eager to impress."

"Anyway, more time spent overseas means less time spent, well, here. He was never much at home. He was never much around in general, anyway. His wife, Jeanette — they met at university, then got married right after they graduated — was always here. They were, well, in love. But him always jet-setting around overseas strained their relationship. Not to mention that, well, rumours began springing up..."

"Rumours?"

"Well, they were never officially proven, of course, and my relationship with Charles is strictly professional, so I don't know. But rumours began springing up that Charles had been unfaithful. Jeanette, of course, was angry. She tried everything to get Charles to come back and explain everything to her. But he kept delaying, and delaying, and delaying it. Eventually, he did come back; but they had a massive argument, and she was never quite the same after that. A fog, it seemed, had sunk over her life; and Bridget now had to take care of two people." He smiled, but it was more wistful this time. "You would have liked her, Stephen. She was truly a bright spot in all our lives. And if events kept transpiring as they did, I have no doubt that the two of you wouldn't be living in such fear."

Would have?

"Charles sued the paper and won, of course, then bought it — now no paper runs any negative stories about him. But their relationship was irreparable. They grew distant. Eventually, she tried to file for divorce. He didn't want to go through with it, but she was insistent. In the end, he accepted. With one condition." He raised a single finger.

Another sip of water. Somehow, the water here tasted sweeter than any other Tumbran water he'd ever drunk. "One condition?"

"That she'd break off all contact with the Harrison family, and never contact her daughter. Ever again."

Stephen felt his stomach churn even harder. That caviar felt a bit less comfortable now.

"Trudy was about four by this time, I think. Regardless, they had another massive argument, and Trudy's grandmother even got involved. She was on Jeanette's side, even, but Charles wouldn't be swayed. Eventually, Jeanette relented. I think she just wanted out, really. So she left. Trudy couldn't be consoled. There was a lot of crying. But that was it. Jeanette Harrison officially departed Gleneagles, and Trudy's life alongside it."

"Have you...?"

"No. I do not know what has happened to her. I wanted to, Stephen, but..." his voice trailed off. "Regardless. The divorce impacted Charles heavily, too. He slowly became a recluse, choosing to direct operations from here in Georgia. An army of fixers soon became employed, carrying out his business on his behalf. You met some of them earlier. As for Trudy, well, she took to her grandmother, Christine. Their relationship is...very, very close. Even closer than the one that she shares with my wife and I. She was homeschooled, until her father decided to send her off to an elite prepatory school. That's where she discovered football."

"Of course, by this time, she was being groomed for a life in corporate. But football seemed to be the only thing that she properly loved. Soon, she'd gotten it into her head that she could go pro; and needless to say, another massive argument ensued. That's when the three of us stepped in. Christine, Bridget and I; we all wanted to see her succeed. So under the table, Christine began sending money to a Kotzellach bank account that was in Trudy's name. Bridget and I posed as her parents. The two of us helped her find a place to stay. Thankfully, we didn't actually have to put our name down to anything. The final step was helping her escape. And that went off without a hitch. She knows what to say if she's ever asked about the night of her escape; but I don't think Charles cares anymore. All he wants is for her to come back."

"So this meeting was always going to happen."

"Well, yes. It does complicate matters that Christine is in very, very poor health. If anything, I'd guess that's what the fixers told her, to try and convince her to come back. One last meeting with her grandmother before, well..."

"...and giving him a chance to convince her to retire and re-join him."

"That seems to be the plan. It is also that which convinces me that he does not know his daughter at all. They were always distant; they became even more so after she found out about the divorce. We both know she will not agree. I know he will not be happy. But..."

"But?"

"He made his billions because he was smart. Well, he made a few hundred millions — you get the point. He has a problem; he will find a way around it. How, I cannot say." Walter finished his drink. "But he will. Usually it involves throwing money around."

A few moments of silence ensued. Thoughts raced through his mind, but he was unable to keep ahold of any. There was so much, so, so much that he didn't know about his girlfriend. "She never told me any of this."

"It's a lot for someone to take ahold of, Stephen. She was probably afraid to tell you everything. She has, after all, gone through quite a bit..." Walter stood up. Stephen, too, stood up; and straightened his tie. One look, however, and Walter was fussing over him again.

"Be kind to her when you next meet. You two are both in a very high-stress environment. Above everything, be kind. Charles Harrison is a master at manipulating people. I saw what happened at tea. He twisted you around his little finger from the moment he met. He thinks you are weak; he thinks you are stupid; he thinks you will be easily swayed. If you come out of this with your relationship with Trudy harmed, he will have succeeded. If he requests anything of you, and you agree, he will have succeeded. If you break up with Trudy, he will have more than succeeded. Be kind; it will keep you two together. And above all, be strong." Walter finished fiddling with Stephen's tie, and took a step back.

"Now, then. Let's continue with the tour..."

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Mon May 23, 2022 11:55 am

defender meets midfielder: season 6, part 5
the gleneagles test

Gleneagles Hall, Georgia?

Everything was hazy. Woozy. A thick fog had descended over his brain. But Stephen Kerr still knew where he was. He was in Trudy's old home. The place where she'd grown up. Right? Long corridors. Architecture that came straight out of the pre-Republic era. When was this built? God knows.

He stepped out of the room he'd been assigned. The lights that were shining through the windows were blinding; he almost couldn't bear to look at them. But when he looked down either side of the corridor, he couldn't see an end to them. This isn't right, he thought. This corridor definitely has to end somewhere. But I can't see where it does. Slowly, he tiptoed out of his room. He wandered for a bit, down the corridor with various nondescript doors, until he came to one that looked slightly different from the others. It had a weird crest on it, though the words were too blurry to make out there and then. He tried to knock, but the door opened for him.

And then he was face to face with Charles Harrison.

"Stephen! It's good to see you. I was wondering when you would show up. Trudy and I have been waiting." Charles flourished at another impossibly long dinner table — he could just make out the silhouette of what he thought was Trudy at the other end of the table. "We've got so much prepared for you..."

"I-I haven't changed into dinner—"

Charles glanced at him with a quizzical look. Stephen looked down. Somehow he was back in the suit he'd worn for the day, but it didn't feel like it. The heavily starched collar wasn't threatening to strangle him, for one. He shrugged, and began following Charles down the table.

Surprisingly enough, the longer the two walked, the shorter the table became. Eventually, though Stephen felt they hadn't moved a single inch, they reached the end of the table where Trudy, now wearing a black dress, was waiting for him. She didn't make eye contact. Her eyes were resolutely focused on the plate set out in front of her. Somehow she seemed...colder. Less Trudy. Her hair was now tightly plaited; her skin fairer, her movement and manner more refined.

He sat down. The entrance to the room was now just behind them. Something was definitely wrong. But he knew better than to say anything. He'd already done that, and messed up once. Better to just wait and listen.

"While we wait, I think there's something that Trudy wants to tell you. Isn't there?"

Charles looked expectantly at Trudy, which also forced Stephen's gaze to shift to her. She almost seemed too sheepish to be there; but her father's gaze seemed to get her to begin. She still refused to look at Stephen, with her eyes still focusing anywhere but Stephen's.

"I think I'm going to stay here with my dad, Stephen. We talked for quite a while, and I came to the conclusion that I think it's better that I stay here. I won't be returning to Chromatik for the new season. I think it's better for both of us if we ended what we have, and...well...tried to forget about everything that's happened."

A yanking feeling in his stomach. The room began to turn white. His heart began to beat quicker and quicker. No. It can't be. This is ridicu—

Another yanking feeling, but this time from behind him.

Then he felt his eyes open.

Gleneagles Hall, Georgia

It took about a minute for Stephen Kerr's breathing rate to return to normal. He didn't wait that long, though; immediately after his eyes opened he shrugged off the luxurious blankets he found himself in and threw open the curtains. No, the lights weren't blinding; he could actually see the soft blue light of sunrise, checked by a faint yellow glow. Well, he could nearly see it; the close surroundings of Gleneagles Hall were enveloped in a thick mist. Or was it fog? Certainly the first time he'd seen the phenomenon.

There was an attached bathroom; Stephen washed up, then decided to venture out into Gleneagles Hall. After all, if he was to be a guest of Charles Harrison, he'd certainly make himself feel welcome. That, and maybe he'd finally be able to try and find Trudy. The message he'd sent immediately after waking up had gone un-read. The one he sent after dinner, too, and before he went to bed. Both grey-ticked.

But the corridors were empty. The one butler he'd run into didn't know where Trudy was, though he did mention that Walter might know. The young butler gave Stephen directions to Walter's room — it turned out to be the one where they had their conversation the previous day — and soon Walter was welcoming him in with a smile. Soon, though, they were on their way to the stables. Apparently Trudy knew how to ride horses. And she was particularly good at it, as the stablehand joked when helping Stephen into the saddle.

Just how much did he not know about his girlfriend?

The horse Stephen had been given was remarkably calm, given his inexperience; he'd heard before that horses could smell fear, but this one didn't seem to care. If anything, this one had a mind of its own. The two ambled around the fields of the gargantuan estate, with Stephen breathing in the fresh morning air and allowing himself to relax for the first time he'd arrived on the sprawling estate. Was this really what it was like to be rich? He cast his mind to Ian Ashburn, a fellow defender and national team-mate. Ian was humble, almost apologetic about his riches; he didn't seem to enjoy sharing details about the finer parts of life that he no doubt had access to. Was it something like this?

Him and the horse soon came to a small brook. It was then that he realised he'd basically been riding roughshod all over the estate; a small pang of guilt rose up as he looked back at the destruction that his horse's hooves had left. Little pockmarks of brown in the otherwise pristine green grass made the lawn look rather less photogenic; though he thought that the groundskeeper would —

Jesus. Jesus, no. What the fuck? That's not how you should think. That's how Trudy's dad thinks. Not you. You and him are different.

At the same time, though, there wasn't really much he could do about it; so sheepishly, he redirected the steed back onto something that vaguely resembled a path and began finding a bridge.

After a few more minutes, they found one — and Trudy Harrison's horse with it. After trundling over the stone bridge, which was surprisingly harder than it looked, he clumsily dismounted. The horse, apparently having sensed that there was no more rider on it, joined the other steed in the field, and began to munch on the grass. Stephen, for his part, wobbled over towards where Trudy was sitting. She was relaxing, with her back against a tree and munching on an apple; but as he got closer, she threw the apple core at him, and looked at him crossly.

"What," she took one step towards him, "the absolute fuck," a finger was jabbed at his chest, "was that all about?"

"What? What do you mean? C'mon, Trudy..."

"You don't follow a single word of what I tell you to do. You make a complete fool of yourself in front of my father, and you leave me out to dry in front of him by listening to what he's saying? How stupid are you?"

"Listen, I'm sorry —"

"My father is not your average person, Stephen, he didn't get where he was today by being an idiot! I can't believe you let him treat you like that, and you just went with it!"

"I don't know, what am I supposed to do? All the time I've been here I've just been going with it! If you didn't want me here, you could've just left me at the airport! You're the one who chose to bring me here, throwing me into the deep end — do you realise how uncomfortable this whole experience has been to me? I've seen more wealth than I've ever experienced either in Straton and in Chromatika. Sure, you can —"

"Oh, yeah, sure, leave my boyfriend behind at the airport and face my evil father alone. Wow, what an amazing girlfriend I'm being —"

"You've basically ignored me and left me out to dry!"

"Oh, leaving you out to dry? That's rich!"

Above all, be kind.

Stephen exhaled, prepared to fire back; but he stopped himself, looking sheepishly at the horses, who were now drinking from the small stream of water.

"I'm sorry, Trudy. I really, really am. I really hope Charles didn't give you a hard time. I just didn't want to piss him off. I can't imagine what it was like, facing him alone —"

"I'm sorry. Didn't realise it'd be tough for you to transition to this environment. It's hell, you know?" She waved her arms. "Corner of the fucking world, full of all the wealth you'd ever need, want and even more. Horses, everything. But that's about it. There's nothing beneath it. But you get used to it." A faint smile appeared on her face. "He was an arse. Obviously. Kept telling me to join him."

"You said no."

"Of course I said no! I'm not leaving football. Or you. Mainly football, though."

"Pfft."

"But yeah. That was about it. I think he's just about given up on me as a disappointment to the family. Though I expect him to try again."

"What makes you think that?"

"Uh...he said something along the lines of alternative persuasive methods. You came up, though I refused to say anything."

"Fuck." Stephen turned away, and stretched his hands behind his head. Walter was right — Charles would be coming for him, next. He didn't feel ready at all for it. Charles Harrison had all the power in Tumbra, and more; he, Stephen Kerr, was just a bloody footballer from Straton. A sense of dread enveloped him as he looked back at the brown stone building where'd he'd ridden from.

He felt Trudy gently take his hand from his head, hold it within hers, and give it three squeezes. The anger had gone from her face, now; she was looking concerned at what was happening.

"What's going on?"

"It's as you said, Trudy — he sees me as an idiot —"

"You are not an idiot."

"Maybe outside here I'm not, but here? I'm basically fresh meat. A hunk of fresh meat who's standing in the way of him and reclaiming his daughter for his media empire. If I'm removed from the equation..."

"But you won't. Right?"

"No. I'll do my best. I'll chat with Walter, see what I can do. I talked to him yesterday..."

"Oh."

"Oh? You sound disappointed."

"No, I just — how much did he tell you?"

"A lot." Trudy turned away, sheepishly. "That was why I got so mad earlier. There's so much you didn't tell me..."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know how. I'm assuming you now know why I decided to return, even if it's put us into this, well, this..."

"Mm-hm. How is your grandma?"

"Not good. Her seeing me managed to make her mood much better. It felt nice seeing her again, even if I had to act like a dutiful daughter once more." Trudy's face contorted in disgust as she spoke. Stephen couldn't help but chuckle. "But the doctors said she doesn't have much longer..."

"I get it." Stephen embraced Trudy, leaning into her; his lips brushed against her forehead, and she held him close. For a few, blissful moments, there was nothing but the two of them; but the reality of their situation soon set in again.

"Anyway," Trudy said, brushing a strand of hair over her forehead, and trying to sound professional. "I really don't know what Dad'll try. I'm sorry I can't help. Just know that I'll be with you all the way."

"I know you will."

"Let's ride back. He'll probably be expecting us for breakfast..."

Charles, again, was supposedly in one of his jovial moods, patronising Stephen and asking him all sorts of questions about his footballing life. Trudy, meanwhile, was ignored; but she seemed to enjoy being ignored, as she heartily spread butter on her toast.

"I see you've been out horse-riding, as Walter told me; and for a first-timer you seemed to do fairly well. You're taking well to this, I think."

"Well, it helped that the horse was fairly calm."

"Yes, of course, that seems to make all the difference. You know, it's looking quite likely to be a wonderful afternoon out; and I was thinking about doing a spot of grouse hunting. Yes, grouse; they're quite plentiful in this neck of the woods, though the best ones are caught along the state border. There's a bog there, and the birds there are particularly fat. I've never brought Trudy — she doesn't like hunting, and all that — but I was wondering if you'd like to join me. Have you ever shot a shotgun?"

"No, I must admit, I haven't."

"Well then you must simply join us! I'll ask the servants to prepare an outfit for you; surely there'll be something that fits. Who knows, you may be just as good with the gun as with a ball at your feet! All you need to do is to test your skill."

"I think —" Stephen hesitated, glancing at Trudy, who was now glaring at him. But he knew what he was about to do. "I think that'd be great. I'd love to give it a shot." A confident smile emerged.

He knew this was a trap Charles was trying to get Stephen to spring.

But it was time for Stephen to set a few traps of his own.

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sun May 29, 2022 3:49 am

defender meets midfielder: season 6, part 6
mano a mano

Gleneagles Hall, Georgia

Trudy Harrison couldn't believe her eyes. There was her father and her boyfriend, Stephen Kerr, acting all chummy over one of those typically-rich breakfasts she'd grown to loathe. Spreading a generous amount of Kyrasian foie gras on his toast, Stephen himself kept buttering Charles up; all while responding positively to Charles' banter. It was a bit too much for her; and it was a befuddling change of heart from his boyfriend, who just a half hour ago was cursing at her dad. What exactly had gotten into him?

Then he'd invited Stephen on a hunting trip. She'd been on exactly one of those trips, when she was seven; and she'd hated every minute of it. The ground was muddy, everything was dirty, and there was just so much waiting. Not to mention that she wasn't a fan of the whole guns thing. When the grouse that she saw her father shoot turned up on her dinner plate, she was so repulsed by it that she refused to eat the bird — despite having seen none of the actual shooting.

The words coming out of both men's mouth meshed into a blur for her; and she was almost grateful when the breakfast was over. Charles had gone to change up; meaning she was left alone with Stephen, who was self-satisfiedly draining the last spoonfuls of some truffle mushroom soup from his bowl.

"What was that all about? Less than an hour ago you were going on about how much you —" she softened her voice so that no interloping butler could hear "— hated my father. And now what? You're best pals with him? What's going on?"

Stephen's eyebrows furrowed. "He's going to try and drive us apart."

"That much is obvious, dumbass. So why are you playing along with it? What's changed? What's your gameplan other than, I don't know, I'm going to respond to every overture that he's making?"

The sides of Stephen's mouth curled upwards, if only slightly. "The difference is that this time I know what to do. And I know what he's doing, too. But that — that, he doesn't know. He's going to try and split us apart. And I think I know how."

"How?"

Stephen's smile got wider. "That you don't know is probably for the best."

"Well, o-kay, Mister Fantastic, keep your all-important secret plan to yourself. But believe me, if it's dumb, and it doesn't work, you'll never hear the end of it from me. Well," She looked away from Stephen for a moment. "Well, if I ever get to tell you that, anyway."

Stephen grabbed Trudy's hands in his, and gave them three squeezes. Immediately she looked back into his hazel brown eyes; and was instantly calmed. "Trust me. I actually know what I'm doing, now. And don't worry, alright? This time, in a few days, we'll be in Straton. Whatever he says. Even if he's not willing to let us leave, we'll sneak out on our own anyway. One way or another."

"If you say so, cowboy."

"Pffft." A sly look appeared in Stephen's eyes. You ever considered —"

"No," Trudy said flatly. "We're not doing anything here."

"If you say so, then," he said, wistfully. Stephen lightly dabbed the sides of his mouth with a napkin, and stood up. "Tell Ms. Christine about me while we're gone, will you? You won't need to act like a faithful daughter until we're back."

Stephen had changed into what was supposedly hunting attire — a double-waxed jacket that smelled very new, a drab pair of muddy brown pants,a pair of faded leather gloves, and a pair of thick, heavy hunting boots. These ones had seen better days; but Stephen was surprised at how easy it was to walk in them once he'd tried it on. He'd tried to turn down the offer of a cloth cap, which looked frankly ridiculous on him; but after some gentle goading from the butler, who insisted it was needed to keep the sun out of his eyes, he reluctantly acquiesced.

And soon, he was in the car together with Charles; and off they went, to the eastern border of the state — where they'd be right next to the boggy marshes of Dartmoor. Charles settled in next to him, and smiled. It was yet another one of those fake smiles, Stephen noticed; but it was too late, now. The key was to hold his nerve, and hold firm. The trip onto the expressway was filled with more vapid conversation; but once they were on there, the mood of the situation changed.

"Well, it's good to have you with me, Stephen; I've wanted a hunting partner for quite a while now, but it's rather difficult to get people to come all the way here for the weekend. So I've had to make do with some of the butlers, but it's not the same as bringing someone you know."

"We've only just met, Mr. Harrison —"

"Please. Do call me Charles; I think we've moved beyond that stage. After all, you seem to have taken to this life immensely well."

Stephen chuckled. It wasn't a real chuckle; but he hoped Charles wouldn't be able to tell the difference. After all, the man's entire existence was a facade of friendliness — and who better to detect a faker than a faker himself? Still, though, he seemed to muster enough genuinity in it to pass.

"Yes, well; I earn quite a bit as a footballer, but this is something else altogether."

"Now. At least now I know one of my guests is taking well to the finer parts of life. Trudy, when she was here, never liked all this. It was always football, football, football with her. And she ended up running away, of course, when I didn't let her play."

"She seems to have a real knack for it. After all, as her team-mate —"

"Team-mate?"

"And friend."

"And friend." The words lingered on Charles' tongue. Already Stephen could hear the ice in his voice, the contrived warmth melting away as quickly as it has been conjured. "Truly, Stephen? Friends, merely?"

"Well, yes. But —"

"Tell me more." Charles seemed to be hypnotised; Stephen could sense that he was hanging on to his every word, now; he was actually interested. That was his sign that he was doing things right. Entice Charles, get him excited by drip-feeding information...

"But that might change, sooner or later."

"Really? You two have known each other for...how long was it, again?"

"Oh, it's been a while, now. We met during the Under-18 World Cup..."

"Interesting. And she never told you much about me?"

"From what I've seen...perhaps that was deliberate."

"Really? How much did she tell you?"

"She didn't really want to tell me much about the two of you. But she told me some bits. Like how you didn't want to let her play football..."

Charles rubbed his temples with his thumb and index finger. "I made mistakes, Stephen; I've made lots of mistakes in my life. And that's resulted in us being quite distant from each other. Not letting her chase her dreams was one of them."

"It's not too late to let her be."

"I've come to that conclusion myself, actually. That maybe she'll never be the daughter I want; she'll never be the daughter I need to carry on the family business. Have you ever heard our family motto, Stephen?"

A single shake of the head.

"Per generationes, bene. Through generations, we prosper. All I've ever wanted is someone to carry on the family business; but maybe that someone won't be her."

"I'm sorry to hear that. But I can assure you, Charles, she's very much happy playing football."

"What use is a career in football when in twenty years, with your body ragged up and unable to run, you'll be thrown to the side-walk? There's nothing in it. She was short-sighted."

"But she's happy," Stephen gently prodded. "She's happy where she is, and she's happy with me."

"Maybe that is true. But is that really what is important in life? After all, wealth does breed happiness."

"Perhaps your priorities differ. It happens, Charles. Maybe it'd be better simply to let her go."

"You might very well be right."

The rest of the trip was filled with an uncomfortable silence between the two of them. Had he done it? Had he managed to get Charles to give up on Trudy?

The Moors
Somewhere along the Georgian-Dartmoor border

Tumbran weather didn't typically get this wet or sticky in summer; but somehow, a perfect brew of weather had occurred to make the weather as gloomy as possible. Streaked with grey, the hunting party disembarked from their cars. It was Charles, Stephen and an entourage of assorted people; though the only ones heading into the field with them would be the gamesman and three retrievers.

A gate to a wide open field was opened; and Stephen was waved through. He soon caught up with Charles, who held his gun casually; chamber dipped open, the stock itself resting against his leg. The mark of a hunting expert. Stephen, meanwhile, was trying to hold everything at once — the pellets, the gun, the walking stick...

"Put the pellets in one of your pockets. Don't forget which one. Atta boy. This your first time shooting?"

"Well, a shotgun, sure."

"Ah. Any other gun?"

"A pistol, once, when I was overseas. I'm not really one for guns."

"You get used to it. I was twelve when my own father brought me on my first expedition." A wistful look formed in his eyes, as he looked towards the horizon of the seemingly never-ending field. "I still remember it like it was yesterday. Anyway, I'll teach you the basics on the way. Shall we head off, then?"

A simple nod. Charles truly seemed to be in his element here; he was happier here than at any point in Gleneagles. Shrugging, all Stephen could do was follow along. After about twenty minutes of hiking, during which Charles seemed to revel in explaining every bit of the marsh and its ecosystem to Stephen, they reached a small clearing near a river. Beckoning him over, Charles began speaking in a hushed tone to Stephen.

"Lay low, then. When you see the birds, aim and shoot. It's easier said than done, of course; but what you'll want to do is follow a bit further ahead than where the bird's going. The bird we're hunting today is grouse; it's mighty fast, so don't be disappointed if you don't hit any. After all, this is your first time out. I'll go first — if a bird appears, so you'll know what to do."

Fifteen more agonising minutes followed. Stephen found himself zoning out, but Charles seemed on edge, ready to pounce at any moment. The dogs accompanying them, too, were almost as eager as Charles was.

Then it happened in an instant. The unmistakable sound of a bird's wings flapping; Charles springing up, surprisingly dexterously for a 59 year-old, aiming at the bird that had just taken flight. Two loud shots later, and the bird fell out of the air; the dogs pounced, leaping through the tall grass. They returned mere minutes later, with the results of their search in their mouths.

Charles, beaming, gently dislodged the now-dead bird from his dog's mouth and passed it to the gamesman; and fed the dog a few cubes of meat in exchange, while petting it on the head. He glanced back at Stephen, beaming.

"Bit tough, this; but it's rewarding. It's fun. Next one's yours, Stephen; I'd like to see you try."
Last edited by Tumbra on Sun May 29, 2022 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Tue May 31, 2022 1:33 am

defender meets midfielder: season 6, part 7
all the money in the world

The Moors

The wait was excruciating.

Painful, almost.

It wasn't the sweat as the humid air rolled in the moors that kept dripping into his eyes and stinging. It wasn't the fact that he had to keep low, and the grass kept tickling what skin he'd exposed to the elements. It wasn't even the fact that he was basically squatting in mud, ankles and knees burning while resisting every urge to stand up.

No, it was the sheer amount of nothing that was going on.

They'd been waiting for what felt like hours, but when Stephen Kerr glanced down at his watch, he'd found only about ten minutes had passed.

It wasn't even noon. He glanced over at Charles, who had his shotgun pointed resolutely in the air, a look of absolute concentration on his face. Finger off the trigger, thank God. He'd tried to make conversation once or twice, but was shushed. Not maliciously, mind, each time a gentle smile accompanied the admonishment, seemingly telling him to focus on the hunt. But there were other thoughts swimming through his mind, too. How did rich people actually enjoy this?

Maybe it was the excitement of actually doing something, rather than doing nothing. After all, if Walter's description of Charles had been accurate, then Charles hardly ever left the house he lived in. At Gleneagles, there were all the comforts of modern life, and then more. There wasn't a need for the billionaire to leave his sprawling estate; he had his army of fixers and lawyers to do his bidding. Leaving the house and doing a bit of shooting, actually exerting himself, was probably the most exciting thing he'd done in his boring life.

Was he being manipulated again? Sure, Stephen by now had caught onto Charles' tricks; but he sure didn't know whether he was being led towards what Charles wanted. Again. His motive here was simple. Butter Charles up, and then, once he'd gotten into his good books — well, as good as a middle-class kid from Straton could get into a multi-billionaire from Georgia, anyway — gently try to lead him into letting Trudy go. It felt like he was getting somewhere with that; Charles himself had admitted that perhaps it was time to let Trudy live her own life — but he wouldn't feel secure until he actually said yes.

What would get him into Charles' good books more than smarming up to him? Probably doing well on this hunt. It would work. They were talking about seven, eight birds for tonight's dinner; so far they'd shot a grand total of one. The birds weren't showing up today, and it was gnawing away at Stephen's patience; all he wanted was for Charles to listen, damnit, and let his daughter go —

A fluttering of wings. It wasn't the loudest, but Stephen's ears perked up at the sound of it. There wasn't much else to listen to, anyways. His knees tightened, in anticipation of needing to spring up the moment the red bird perked up and began to fly. He grasped the fore-end of the gun tightly, keeping relatively close to the ground; and the sense of anticipation had set his heart pounding.

Is this it? Is this what he lives for? The hunt, where he leaps out of the ground, ready to take a shot?

He peeked his head over the tall grass. He couldn't see the bird, but he could sense where it was; the grass was rustling where the bird was walking. All he needed now was for it to start flying; if only there was something he could do to startle it, make it fly in the air —

There it was. The rapid flapping of wings indicated that the bird had taken flight. Just one it was, its crimson plumage a stark contrast against the streaky grey sky; but Stephen knew it was time. He sprung up, like how Charles did when he was shooting his first bird, pointed the gun slightly ahead of where the bird was, and squeezed the trigger.

Crack.

The recoil was a bit stronger than he expected, the sound a lot louder now that he was firing it; but he was unencumbered. The bird, though, hadn't fallen; and was trying to flap its wings ever more. He still had one shot in the barrel, he knew that; he had one more chance to take down this bird, stubbornly refusing to bow down to his gun and the little metal bits of death that it spewed.

All he had to do was shift his sights to meet it. Squinting, he jerked; and waited for the bird to once again cross his sights. There. No time to waste —

And he squeezed, once more.

Crack.

This time, it hit; the bird seemingly froze in midair, before plummeting to the ground; it landed with a gentle thump. The gameskeeper, who seemed genuinely pleased and shocked in equal measure, quickly encouraged the dog to follow; while Stephen was left clutching his gun, marveling at what had just happened. All he'd done was move his finger by an inch, twice.

And in one beautiful instant Stephen realised the beauty of hunting. It was only a second, a finger moved an inch; but that simple movement had allowed so much to happen. A life had been taken; a prize received. He had triumphed over Nature, if only a brief moment; and he laughed, as if to revel at this moment of folly. And now he'd ended up with the result of his hunt — a bird downed, by his own hand. Stephen glanced at the dog making its own way through the moors, bird in mouth; and now it eagerly approached him, eager to be rewarded for its job.

Stephen smiled at the dog, knelt and looked at the gameskeeper; who silently withdrew a few cubes of meat and placed it in Stephen's palms. Gently, he dislodged the carcass of the bird from the canine's mouth; and then stretched out his other palm to reveal the meat, which the dog devoured gratefully. Petting it for good measure, he stood up; the prize of his hunt in his hands.

Then he heard clapping from behind him. Of course, it was Charles, with another smile on his face. This time, however, the smile seemed to be genuine; and his tone was much warmer.

"Amazing. Simply wonderful. Brilliant, really. You said you never fired a gun, before?'

"No, not really," Stephen said. He allowed a small bit of pride to creep into his voice. "Never liked the things. Could kill people, you know. Preferred dogs," gesturing down at the hunting dog at his side. "More loyal. Less dangerous."

"Well I can hardly be expected to believe that," gushed Charles. "For a first-timer with a shotgun, you were phenomenal. You know, I think you'd be the perfect fit for this kind of thing. Once you get more used to the idea of having a gun at your hip, of course. Always thought that our gun laws were too restrictive, but it seemed to be the one thing I couldn't get the suits in Straton to budge on. Anyway. You could come around every summer, spend a few weeks with me..."

"Oh, I could hardly impose on you, Charles," Stephen retorted, once again trying to cover up the fear that was slowly creeping up his body. "Plus, we've got a football tournament every summer; I hardly have time for myself!"

"Well, there's a very simple way to fix that; apart from moving your training camps over to Kingsbury, that is."

"And what would that be?"

"Well, dear boy, do you not see? You could join the family."

Gleneagles Hall
Georgia

There was always a sense of hesitation before knocking on a door at Gleneagles Hall. You checked, double-checked, to see that there was nothing going on; nothing particularly embarrassing, then you knocked. Twice. Butlers knocked thrice; the Harrison family knocked twice. Always. And then, once the door had been opened for you, you went in. You never opened the door; opening doors was not your job. So said her etiquette lessons, age six.

Trudy Harrison had learned that particular lesson before that, however. Once, she'd gone into her father's study without knocking, in search of a hug. She'd instead found her father, hunched over his desk, clacking away at his keyboard; and scarcely reacting to his daughter's entrance. Once he did notice, however, he gave her a scolding she didn't forget. What if I was doing something important, Trudy? and so on.

There had been no hug given. Bridget was instead summoned, scooping the four-year old up in her embrace, whisking her away to make her some hot cocoa.

There had been many more scoldings in the years afterwards. There had been many harsh words exchanged. But this particular argument she never forgot. She remembered it every time she approached a door in the Harrison household; hell, even outside, sometimes she hesitated.

Breathe. In. Out. Father is away with Stephen. There is nothing to fear.

She raised her hand, and rapped on the mahogany door twice. It opened immediately, and Trudy paced in.

The room itself was simple, almost spartan — well, as spartan as its opulent environment would allow it to be. It was almost the same as the rest of the household in terms of luxury, if any visitor decided to ignore the mountain of medical machinery surrounding the super king-sized bed. But Trudy didn't care about that; after the door closed around her, she nearly leapt as she tried to make her way towards the bed and the person lying on it. Her eyes were closed, of course; dozing off in the afternoon sun.

"Grandmama. Grandmama, wake up, it's me. Trudy." She knelt at the side of the bed, holding her hand; not knowing whether her grandmother would stir. Sometimes she wouldn't, and Trudy would just sit at the side of the bed, watching over her grandmother; other times, Christine Harrison would wake up after a while.

Upon hearing her voice, the elderly lady, hair as white as snow and as frail as a flake, opened her eyes and perked up. "Trudy," she whispered. "It's so good to see you once again. Where is Charles?"

"He's off hunting. With Stephen..."

"Ah. Your...boyfriend." A childish grin emerged on her wizened face. "I have heard a lot from the butlers."

"Well..." She shot a glare at the one butler in the room. He nodded. "Yes. My boyfriend."

"You haven't brought him to see me."

"It's kind of difficult, grandmama, I mean...it'd be kind of hard to bring him to visit you without tipping off Dad that he's my boyfriend."

"Oh, who cares? Certainly not me. I want to see the man who's made my granddaughter so happy at least once before I move on."

"Don't say that, Grandmama." A jabbing sensation in Trudy's chest. Somehow her grandma had already come to terms that she would be moving on. 'I've only just found you again."

"We must all move on, Trudy, at some point. And yes, we have only just found each other again, but it's more than enough for me." She raised a hand, gently caressing Trudy's face. "I'm just so happy that you're all grown up, now. I follow all your exploits in the newspapers. And I am so, so proud of you, Trudy. I love you. And I believe the person you chose will bring you happiness, too."

Trudy found herself choking back tears. "Grandmama..."

"So do that one thing for me, will you? When he returns. I guarantee I'll still be here tonight."

"I will."

"And in return, there is one thing I have to give you. I neglected it, in my carelessness, on the night you left. I didn't know you were going to return, and I must use all the time I have left. So here. Trevor!" Christine called out to the butler. "Get the box. You know the one."

Trevor quickly, quietly strode over to Christine's belongings, and began rummaging; less than a minute later, an intricately designed lock-box had been produced, and handed over to Trudy. Christine leaned forward, evidently trying to unclasp something from her neck; after a while of trying Trudy successfully managed to get it off. At the end of a chain was a key. Curious, Trudy slid the key into the lock-box.

It fit perfectly. Before she could turn it, however, Christine's hand stopped her.

"Not here, Trudy. There are several things inside; but the most important thing is the book. Inside you will find a bank account number. The bank is from Kotzellach; everything is very, very secret there. Nobody here knows this account exists, let alone belongs to me. Well, you, now. I set this up after your mother left, Trudy, so that if you ever found yourself in hard times one day you would have something to fall back upon."

"H-how much is there?"

"Oh, about fifty million, give or take. Most of it is from what your grandfather left to me. Well. That, and quite a bit of investment on my end."

"Fifty...million?"

The Moors

"I didn't hear you wrongly, did I? Join the family?"

"I did indeed say that. Think about it; if you joined me, and promised to take over the company one day, you'd be able to enjoy all this. All the money in the bloody world. You're certainly enjoying it now."

"I'm just a football player — I'm no businessman."

"But you could become one, under my watch. Plus, you could stay with Trudy."

"Trudy? What does she have to do with this? We're just friends, as I said."

The smile continued, but the eyes narrowed. "Good try, Stephen. Good try. I know you two are an item. I've known since the moment I was told she dragged you into that car. Think about it. You two would be able to continue playing. I'd even give you my blessing to continue your relationship with her, Stephen. All you need to do is take her place. By my side."

"I can't agree to that."

"Think about it, Stephen! Charles chortled, triumphantly. "This isn't your regular decision, Stephen. It's not exactly what to eat for dinner, or what to do on a football pitch. Whatever your choice, make it carefully."

"After all, it's all the money in the world."

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:12 am

defender meets midfielder: season 6, part 8
the confronation

The Moors

It probably wasn't going to be much use to him, but Stephen Kerr clutched his shotgun tighter to his body. See, he knew Charles Harrison wouldn't shoot him — the one good thing about being famous was that if he'd died now, there'd be a lot of noise, not just from within Tumbra, but the whole of Chromatika, too — but he thought it better to be safe. At the same time, he was still trying to parse through what Charles was saying. Join him at his side?

"But why me? I've got no business experience; my highest qualification is a high school certificate."

"That's exactly why I want you, Stephen; I can teach you everything from the ground up! None of those business school yonks, coming into my corporate structure with dreams far above their station. No, Stephen, I want someone I can mold; someone I can teach, like how my father taught me. You are that person, Stephen."

"Trust me, I'm not the person you're looking for. I'm a footballer. I'm not a businessman."

"You could be both," Charles smiled, stepping closer to Stephen. "Nobody ever said a footballer couldn't be a businessman. And you could stay with Trudy."

"I want to focus on my career."

"You could, as I'd told Trudy a few days back, come back once your career ended. Both of you. She wouldn't have anything to do with my business, and you'd still have each other. Plus, as I've mentioned before, the family fortune."

"We both know that's not going to be possible. She hates you. Hates you. If this is some kind of ploy, some kind of long con, to try and get her to stay with you, it won't work."

"Young, idealistic lovers. Fools."

"Your whole life you've had everything. Now you can't take two people rejecting you? Charles, you lead a multi-billion dollar media empire, or so I've been told. There will be people queueing, everywhere, just to get five minutes of time with you. You've got the whole world to comb for your successor, and somehow all you want are the two people who are the least likely to say yes?"

"She is my daughter," Charles muttered. "She was meant to take over the company when she was old enough. I am not going to lose her again."

"You did that yourself. Don't you see? You pushed her away yourself. You refused to let her follow her dreams, to the extent that she was willing to escape from you, just to have a chance at a career. And now you think, what, she's going to come back to you? That's ridiculous. Or that she'll stay with me if I decide to go over to you? That's equally ridiculous. She'd leave me, probably ask me to leave Chromatik, too, or leave herself. You lost her the moment she ran away all those years ago, Charles."

"I don't believe a single word you're saying. It looks like I overestimated you, Stephen; I thought you were smarter than this."

"We could head back, tonight. Have a good conversation, all three of us. About what you want, and what the two of us want. I can assure you, now, though, that you won't be able to get anything out of us." Approaching the topic with subtlety was now an impossibility; it was obvious Charles wasn't going to listen to whatever Stephen was saying. Whatever.

"Fine." The two stared at each other, unflinching; both refusing to blink. "Shall we continue with our hunt?"

"Yes," said Stephen, never losing sight of the shotgun in Charles' hands. "After you, Charles."

Gleneagles Hall
Georgia

The rest of the hunt had been uneventful; both of them had shot a good number of birds, but the compliments had ceased. Less than five words had been exchanged between Stephen and Charles throughout lunch, or the rest of the hunt; Stephen himself chose to sit in one of the other cars and drolly text Trudy about the days' happenings, and told her to prepare for dinner.

Not needing to feign that they weren't in a romance anymore, Trudy was waiting at the front gate for the cavalcade of cars to return; despite how grimy Stephen felt after a whole day of hunting, she still ran up to and embraced him when he returned. After cleaning himself up and preparing for dinner, Trudy dragged him to meet Christine. It was a memorable, if slightly awkward meeting; Christine was overjoyed upon finally seeing Stephen for the first time. She looked satisfied, somehow; content at seeing her grand-daughter had met someone who would take care of her. They talked about a lot of things, until the sun went down; then another po-faced butler summoned the duo for the dinner with Charles that had been a long time coming.

Grouse, of course, was the main course of the night. They'd scarcely begun eating before Charles began talking.

"So. Over the past few days, I've talked to both of you. Tried to get you, Trudy, to come back to Georgia, take your rightful place by my side."

"Not gonna happen."

"I always knew you were an ungrateful daughter, anyway. So I talked to Stephen. Turns out he can't see the benefits of joining me, either."

"I've already told you, it won't happen."

"What would it take —"

"Nothing! Absolutely nothing would be able to convince us, Mr. Harrison, because we've got our minds made up already!"

"He's right. Stephen's right, Dad. I'm not going to give up my career for you." Trudy put her fork and knife down; in the silence of the room, the resounding clang forced both men's attentions to be paid to her. "I knew this would happen the moment I was told Grandma was in poor health. And yeah, it worked. I wouldn't have passed the chance to see Grandma one last time, but I knew the moment I stepped here I'd be subjected to you trying to get me to give up my football career, one more time. No. It stops here." Trudy inhaled. Stephen decided to focus on his food. Mm. Gamey.

"I'm not coming back. Ever again. My heart left this place years ago, when you didn't want me to play football. Me leaving for Kingsbury was the final step in completely removing myself from here. When we leave, tomorrow, that's it. I've made my peace with Walter, Grandma, Bridget, all the people in my life who've cared about me. There's nothing left for me here, least of all you and your business empire. I don't give a single shit about it. I don't care that I'm being an "ungrateful daughter." I never lived up to your expectations, anyway. I reminded you too much of Mom, that's why you never —"

"Don't you bring your mother into this —"

"So that's it. I don't care what happens. Tomorrow, we're going. We've indulged your hospitality for way too long, anyway, and you've already received our answer. Nothing will change our minds. There's nothing more for the two of us here. We're done."

"Fine." Charles stood up, and walked to the nearest window. He stared out into the Georgian night sky for a while, before speaking.

"Go. If that's what you want so badly. I won't ever call you again. For all intents and purposes, you're not my daughter anymore. We're no longer family; you're no longer part of the Harrisons. Do what you will. Be with whomever you want," he said, glancing at Stephen. "It's not my business anymore. I'll arrange transportation for you two to Kingsbury. Tomorrow. Dawn. Then that's it. Your training camp's been rescheduled to the usual location, in Straton. We officially have nothing more to do with each other."

"But be very, very careful what you wish for, Trudy."

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:45 am

defender meets midfielder: season 6, part 9
a harrison without a name

Gleneagles Hall
Georgia

Stephen Kerr didn't get any sleep that night.

Nor did Trudy Harrison.

One was busy packing all their things. The other was contemplating life outside the family. That, and worrying about the health of her grandmother, which had taken a turn for the worse in the hours that had followed dinner. Trudy had brought Stephen to see Christine once more; she reassured them that everything would be fine, looking distinctly at peace with what was to come.

Trudy managed to hold her tears until she left the room, before she collapsed into a sobbing mess. Stephen brought her back to her room, and began making preparations for their departure. Walter, ever-present, would drive them down to Kingsbury at dawn; and from there, they would be free. They'd already made plans; Stephen would bring Trudy to finally visit his family, and re-unite with his own sister. He was reluctant to go back to a city that a few years ago felt like it had hounded him out; but if things were to be believed, Straton had more things to worry about than Stephen leaving for a measly sum of three and a half million dollars. There was his sister, too; she'd finally be able to come out to her parents, with the hope that the news of the two of them dating would put them in a good mood. Sure, same-sex marriage had been legalised a long time ago, but there was always the fear that Bertram and Sylvia Kerr wouldn't react as well to Stephanie's revelation that she was dating a girl.

There were other things on his mind, too.

Be careful what you wish for.

Stephen tried not to think about what Charles had said, but the more time passed, the more he found himself coming back to it. After all, this was the man at the head of Tumbra's biggest media empire — owner of the Kingsbury Tribune, Hesham Enquirer, Aurora News and so much more — and with a few calls, he could destroy them. He'd come across their content on TV, when lazily flicking across channels; and while he watched it with a strong sense of revulsion, he felt strangely magnetised to it. Sure, Trudy and Stephen had gained their freedom; but they'd never really be able to escape Tumbra — not until they'd retired from the national team and set up shop in whatever country they chose to live in, at least. And if they'd never be able to escape Tumbra, then they'd never be able to escape the clutches of, well...

But that wasn't what was important. Not right now, at least.

That was a fight for another day.

Stephen looked up from Trudy's suitcase, having spent the last ten minutes folding her clothes while she lay silently on her bed. Silently, Stephen got up, and lay down in the bed. He pinched her cheek; and she smiled, warmly. She'd been figuring about with a key attached to a necklace.

"Hey," he whispered, softly.

"Hey."

"We'll be out of here soon."

"I know. It's just...it's finally here. He's given us permission to leave. But I don't know why I feel so empty inside. I should be happy, I should be smiling, I should be celebrating the fact that I'm finally free to live my life. But I just can't, Stephen. Maybe it's just the fact that Grandmama's not going to be here much longer. But even then..."

"I know."

"All she gave me was this." she said ruefully, playing with the key.

"That's...a key." He plucked it gently from her; she took off the necklace and handed it to him.

"I sure hope it is."

"What does it open?"

"There's a lockbox. On the table..."

Stephen reached out and grabbed the ornately carved box. Trudy sat up; presumably curious to find out what was inside, too.

"Did she tell you what was inside?"

"I've forgotten. Something about a bank account."

Stephen's heartbeat accelerated as the key slid in perfectly. Was this the bank account that Walter had told him about a few days back? The lid opened...

Several small books. A slip of paper with twelve numbers and the name of a bank, which looked vaguely Teus in origin. A picture. He handed that one to Trudy; and she began weeping again, as he inspected the multiple sheets of paper. Kotzellach Investment- und Bankenunion. He knew Kotzellach; it was a small chain of islands about three hours west of Chromatika. But why there?

He opened the book. Years and years of numbers getting larger, and larger; sometimes a deposit here, sometimes a deposit there. His heart racing, he kept flipping until he found the latest entry in the book. A sigh of relief. They would be safe, after all.

52,186,445 TM$ - Gesamtbetrag mit Zinsgutschrift am 28. Mai 202X

He looked up at Trudy, who had put the picture back in the lock-box. It was of a woman and a toddler; the picture faded with age, now, but clearly from a happier time.

"Is that..."

"Yes," Trudy whispered. "I haven't seen her in so long, Stephen."

"One day we'll find her. Once we're done with all this." Slowly, Stephen brushed her hair aside and kissed her on the forehead. "We'll be fine, alright? I know we'll be fine, no matter what happens. I know it. And I'll take care of you."

"Don't say that just because my grandma made you promise to do that," Trudy sniffled.

"It'd be true even if she hadn't made me say it. She knows, I think, that I would've done so. Smart woman, your grandma. But I mean it, Trudy, I really do. I love you."

"I know."

Georgia

The black of night gave way to the brilliant blue of dawn; which marked the defender and midfielder's departure from Gleneagles Hall. Stephen refused to allow Walter to load their baggage, instead taking on the burden himself; and without so much as a goodbye to Charles, they were soon on the expressway back to Kingsbury. They'd booked their tickets the night before; soon, they'd be on a train, whooshing towards Straton. With luck, they'd be there in time for another lunch; though one that was expected to be more cordial than the one they'd had in Kingsbury.

The ride back was mainly quiet. Stephen idly held onto Trudy's hand, while she stared out of the window; lockbox on her lap. She'd been through a lot these last few days, and Stephen knew it was better than to strike up conversation now. Every now and then, he'd squeeze her hand thrice; and after a while, she'd squeeze back.

He didn't know how it began, really. The hand-squeezing thing; it had become a thing of theirs, a way for them to express their love for each other without saying anything. On the pitch, he was calm and composed; she was loud, blustery and a force of nature unto herself; so it made sense, in a way, that off the pitch she didn't want to say much. The squeezing was a way for them to ground themselves, too; more often than not, when Trudy was having her nightmares, Stephen would squeeze her hand to let her know everything was all right. If Stephen had an anxiety attack before a match, she'd be there for him, too, the hand-squeezes proving to be the best tool to calm him down.

After about two hours, they arrived in Kingsbury; the bright, gleaming towers contrasted with Imperial-era architecture; the Gothic architecture style of Kingsbury railway station. Stephen unloaded all their luggage as Walter shared a few words with Trudy. He hung back afterwards, not wanting to intrude on their last moments together; but near the end, Walter pointed at Stephen, motioning him to come closer.

"Stephen. Stephen, good lad. Now I want you to answer my question honestly." Stephen froze for a moment, unsure what kind of test Walter had concocted, minutes before they were about to leave.

"Can you cook?"

"I mean, yeah." The question had caught him off-guard.

Walter looked at Trudy again. "You'll be fine. He can cook. And, after all, he promised Ms. Christine he'd take care of you."

"I think he'd take care of me regardless of what he'd said to Christine, Walt." Trudy took Stephen's arm and leant against it. "Thank you. For everything."

"I will miss you, Trudy. As will Bridget. When you two tie the knot, we'll fly out to wherever to watch it. I promise."

"I'll miss you too."

"Stephen. We met a few days ago, but in those few days I've become convinced that you are the best man for Trudy that she could ever hope for. Take care of her, and remember what I said in that room when I told you everything."

"Be kind."

Walter smiled. "You're a fast learner."

A hand was extended; Stephen grasped it and shook it, firmly. For a man of his age, Walter had a strong grip.

"I'll see you one day." Walter smiled as he entered the car, fired up the engine and drove off.

"I hope so, too."

And just like that, Trudy wasn't a Harrison anymore.

A Train
South Coast Main Line

They wouldn't be on this train for long — they were getting off at Knapford, transferring to the Clearmont line and then onto the East Coast Main Line at Clyde — but for the first time in a long, long while, Trudy Harrison felt at ease. It was the same sense that she felt when she'd gotten onto the train bound for Kingsbury all those years ago at Steppenham; a sense of...a load lifted off her shoulders. Now, she was free.

As free as she could be from a man who had such power over the airwaves, anyway.

The countryside slinked past, fields and homes zooming by insignificantly; occasionally, they'd zoom through a station, belonging to some town, without stopping. Rain fell halfway through Dartmoor, the grey streaks in the sky giving birth to blotches of water landing on the windows. The sky cleared; more civilisation, more cities, everything. It became almost a blur for Trudy; all she could think about was the choice she'd made. In a way, she felt guilty for only thinking about that; there was Stephen, there was her grandmother, there was Walter; but all she could think about was the future.

There was no going back.

She'd chosen Stephen, and her football career; and Stephen had chosen her. They were set for the rest of their lives, thankfully, thanks to the contents of the lockbox; but there was still a sense of emptiness inside her. She'd cast away the first seventeen years of her life.

Just like that.

But as Straton's skyline emerged on the horizon, and she felt three squeezes on her hand, she knew everything was going to be alright.

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:20 am

defender meets midfielder: season 6, part 10
home

Straton

Straton was considerably sunnier than Kingsbury. That was perhaps an obvious statement to make, considering it was the late afternoon when Stephen and Trudy reached, but Straton did seem considerably brighter, nicer than Kingsbury when the two stepped out of Straton's main railway station, luggage in tow. Trudy's expression was still somewhat vacant; but Stephen was there. Soon, they were in a taxi.

Trudy had never been to Straton much. Bar that one summer where she was negotiating with Chromatik, much of her life had been spent in Georgia. Be it Gleneagles, the Steppenham Public School (ironically, a private school, and one that the nation's richest usually went to), or Kingsbury, the nation's capital had been an afterthought in her mind, really. Yet it was here that their friendship blossomed; after winning the Under-18 World Cup, in the month before she'd signed for the Capitalizt. Stephen had brought her to all the sights; the Botanical Gardens in the north, all the museums of the civic district, the gentrified areas of the south...

Well, Straton wasn't exactly the most fun of cities. Sure, the country's best university was located here, but the "fun" cities of Tumbra were Couno, Harren and Bencoolen; not boring old Straton. Here was where the machinery of government revolved; this is where politicians screamed at each other across the aisle, where civil servants ensured that whatever policies they put in place were carried out to a tee. It may have been sunnier, but it was also a bit greyer than Kingsbury.

The taxi sped along the expressway, showing the massive monolith of the National Stadium being covered in scaffolding in preparation for its eventual demolition. Now it was Stephen's turn to look away; Straton hadn't exactly treated him fairly after he'd decided he wanted to leave. All he'd wanted was a decent paycheck, and they'd tried to wring him for every penny possible. Looking back, Stephen couldn't believe how naive he'd been; but the past was the past, now.

And in no time at all, they'd reached Stephen's house. It was positively spartan compared to the lavishness that had been foisted upon them in the last week or so; but Trudy found herself beaming when she looked at the two-story building coated in white paint.

"It's not...much," Stephen sheepishly remarked as he hauled the two suitcases out of the boot. "I mean, certainly not compared to your...old place."

"Shut up!" said Trudy. "I love it. It's...well...home. It feels like it, anyway. More than that place."

"I'm glad you like it," smiled Stephen as he moved next to Trudy. "Uh, we'll be having dinner with my family tonight. Just enjoy the place, really; I mean, we'll both sleep in my room; both Mom and Dad know we're dating. Or, at least, they will, after tonight..." his voice trailed off, awkwardly.

"Everything'll be fine. Best behaviour. I promise."

"It's not that, Trudy. I know you'll be great. It's just that, uh, my sis is home too. And she's brought a friend of her own. Well, I say friend, but really they're dating, and have been since a while ago. And they're intending to tell Mom and Dad too."

"That's great!" Her smile melted away when she saw Stephen's unclear face. Isn't it?"

"Uh, well, we've planned this for a bit, but the thing we're not sure about is how they'll react to the news that Steph has a girlfriend. So, uh..."

"Ah. Hm."

"Yeah, it's...yeah. So just enjoy Mom's hospitality; she can be a bit much, but all she wants to do is take care of you, and try not to fall asleep when Dad tries to explain what it is exactly that a chartered accountant does."

"Will it be more or less boring than you trying to explain how financial amortisation works?'

"No promises. Anyway, let's move. Probably better to talk about it my room."

"Your room?"

"Yeah. I mean, you've seen it before. When we were chatting online. Right?"

"I've never been in there, though..."

"What? No, my room is fine. Don't worry about it."

"If you say so..." Trudy giggled as she began rolling her suitcase towards the house.

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?"

No sooner had the two of them arrived at the door of Stephen's house had the door slammed open, with Stephen's mom Sylvia enveloping her son in hugs and kisses. To be fair, she hadn't physically seen her son in years; as much as he'd been tempted to break curfew whenever they were in Straton, he'd always resisted the urge to do so. For Trudy, it was a rather uncomfortable twenty seconds as she tried not to look too much at Sylvia and her son; and pretty much try to melt into the background, too. Eventually, though, Stephen managed to extricate himself from the hug, and introduced the awaiting Trudy to her. Sylvia seemed to treat Trudy like she was her own daughter almost immediately; and after they'd been invited into the house, tea was served, and then biscuits, and then cake, and then...

The house was cluttered, but in a good way. Pictures of the Kerr family were on the walls and on shelves; various books, drawings, pictures of them on holiday, various pieces of kitsch...it felt like home. Gleneagles was big, sure, and most people liked big houses; but it was also empty, business-like. It was a house — a veritable mansion, for sure — but it wasn't a home. Trudy hadn't lived in many homes; the apartment in Kingsbury and the Chromian place with Stephen were the two places where she'd properly felt at home, and even then it took a while for her to warm up to it. But this?

It just felt like home. It was a feeling that couldn't be explained; it was a sense that she was safe, that she'd be accepted no matter what happened. This was a home; and as the family dog, Cook came running up to her, tail wagging, she couldn't help but smile. After a few pets, Cook ran off to Stephen once again.

After washing up, sinking into the sofa in the living room and grasping the cup of tea on the table, she finally felt at ease. Stephen seemed to understand; and very kindly left her to lounge and enjoy the hospitality while he moved their luggage up to his room. After a while, when he hadn't come back down, Trudy's curiosity began to bubble; and she tiptoed up to the second floor.

It wasn't that hard to find Stephen's room. For one, it was the only door that was slightly open; on the other hand, it had a huge sign with "Stephen's room" on the front door. Slowly, making sure she wasn't intruding, she knocked; and then walked in, embracing Stephen from behind.

"You haven't come down for a while," she whispered.

"I know," he whispered back. "I was just...taking in a moment of peace."

"So this is your room, hmmm?", Trudy playfully asked, casting a glance around. Band posters, football shirts, a tidy bed...the room looked like it hadn't been touched since Stephen had moved out of the house. "Bit empty."

"Duh. I haven't lived here in forever. I think I left quite a few items here when I left, though..." Stephen slid open a drawer, then just as quickly slid it shut. "Uh. Nothing here, of course," he muttered unconvincingly.

Unconvinced, Trudy slid open the drawer; and, Io and behold...

YEAR 201X
WESTVIEW SECONDARY SCHOOL
YEARBOOK

"Oh my God," Trudy whispered. "It's your yearbook."

"Ack-no-don't look at that! It's..."

It was too late to stop Trudy, who'd already begun flipping through the pages with a big smile on her face. Resigned, Stephen smiled, simply basking in his girlfriend being, well, happy for the first time since they'd left Georgia. Finally, she seemed to find what she was looking for; and the smile turned into a beam.

"Oh my God," she yelped again. Beaming, she pointed at one specific picture; and Stephen didn't even need to know which picture she was pointing at. It was him, of course; him in all his goofy-looking, sixteen year-old prime. His hair had been cut a smidgen too short because his mom had insisted he needed short hair for his picture day; and as a result, his ears were a tad too big. The awkward smile on his face didn't help either.

Stephen just kept smiling as Trudy giggled; he was simply enjoying the moment. As the yellow glow of the setting sun shone through his window, all he could focus on was how beautiful his girlfriend was. Shifting over, he lifted her off the chair she was now sitting on — to a surprised yelp from Trudy — and placed her on the bed, cuddling her.

"God, you're beautiful."

"I love you, too. I wanna...God." She pulled away.

"What's wrong?"

"Maybe tonight. Plus, your door's open."

Stephen sat up, looking slightly crestfallen. "Yeah, there's that. C'mon. Let's head down. Mom'll be wondering where I am, considering I volunteered to help her out with the cooking." He caught Trudy looking at the yearbook, fixated on that one goofy picture of Stephen.

"Can we bring that back to Chromia once we're done with all this?"

Stephen huffed out a laugh. "Sure."

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:08 am

defender meets midfielder: season 6, part 11
the kerrs

Straton

As Trudy Harrison ate, it became increasingly obvious where Stephen had gotten his cooking talent from. Sylvia Kerr had gone all out for her children's homecoming; and there was a lot of food, even for six people. The vegetables were perfectly sautéd; the snapper in the middle of the table was grilled to perfection, and the meat was oh-so-soft (though she had shyed away from the eyes, which Stephen's father Bertram relished with aplomb), the steamed eggs the perfect temperature and consistency; the rice soft and fluffy. It took a bit of time to get used to the chopsticks, and she felt Stephen snigger slightly when she dropped yet another piece of tofu; but every time, he would pick it up for her and place it on top of her rice, for her to eat.

The atmosphere, though, was palpably tense; sitting opposite Stephen and Trudy was Stephen's younger sister, Stephanie; and the lady who was presumably her girlfriend, Helle. Both the two had been remarkably quiet since stepping into the Kerr household; and they'd politely rebuffed most attempts at conversation, the two of them huddled together on the sofa. Trudy noticed the two of them holding hands whenever Sylvia wasn't looking, but quickly stopped whenever Sylvia came into the living room to talk to any of them. They'd stopped entirely once Bertram had come home; he'd made some pleasantries with the three of them in the living room, but was otherwise in the kitchen, helping Stephen and Sylvia with the cooking.

Glancing across the table, Trudy saw Helle and Stephanie exchange skittish glances at each other, still afraid of what was coming up. Stephanie looked much like Stephen; her shoulder-length hair ending in a calming shade of aqua, her round-framed glasses accentuating her face nicely. Helle's rush of blond hair set her apart from the rest of her dining companions; but apart from that, too, she struggled with her chopsticks.

In the end, it was Sylvia who decided to break the silence; after pointedly asking how the food was, and receiving nods of affirmation from everyone around the table.

"Well, uh, how about you tell us about your guests, both of you? Stephanie?"

"Uhh...maybe after Stephen," while shooting a pointed glare across the table.

"Yeah! Yeah, yeah, yeah, sure." Stephen kicked into gear, smiling widely. "Mom, Dad, Steph, Helle," he said, acknowledging Stephanie's girlfriend with a nod and a small smile, which was duly reciprocated. "This is, uh, Trudy."

"Hi." Trudy waved.

"Uh, I'm not sure whether any of you follow football, but Trudy is my team-mate at my club. I play in defense, she plays in midfield. Uh. We met each other when we went for the Under-18 World Cup, all that time ago; and, uh..."

Stephen looked at Trudy and inhaled before continuing.

"We've been going out for a while, now, and I thought today would be a good time to tell both of you that we're official. Uh...Yeah."

Sylvia smiled almost immediately; Bertram, on the other hand, remained rather po-faced. Trudy glanced, worried, at Bertram; then a kind smile emerged on his face.

"I'm proud of you, Stephen; and, well, you two look very good together. I don't follow football much, but, uh, I've tried to follow your club, Stephen; and I've always thought that you, Trudy, are an excellent footballer. I'm glad you and my son are an item; I think you'll be a good fit for him, and I hope he's been a good fit for you so far."

"Uh, yeah! Yeah, he has. He's been with me through...a lot. A lot of things." Trudy felt Stephen's hand grasp hers, and squeeze it thrice; she squeezed thrice in return. "Yeah."

Chromatika. The league. Feelings. Kingsbury.

"A lot of things. And I'm very grateful for that."

"Are you living together in Chromia? I heard rent there is pretty crazy."

"Uh, yeah!" Stephen jumped in. "She moved in after we started dating."

"Mhm! Rent is fairly high there, yeah. We live together."

"Well, I think your dad and I now know where we're going on our next holiday." The table shared a laugh. "You two look very happy together, and I'm very happy that you two have found each other."

"Thanks." The atmosphere around the table had warmed significantly; presumably this was something that Stephanie and Helle had wanted. Trudy sneaked a glance at the two of them, and her suspicions were proved correct; the expressions on their faces had lightened considerably, and they looked way more relaxed than at the start of the evening.

Sylvia, still smiling, turned to Stephanie and Helle.

"How about you, Stephanie? What about your guest today?"

"Uh, well, this is Helle...I met her while studying in Serrapince."

Helle nodded.

"Before we go on, though, there's something I gotta tell you. Mom. Dad."

"What would that be?

"I...uh..." stuttered Stephanie, the usually-confident art student at a loss for words. A quick glance at Helle, though — almost similar to the one Stephen gave Trudy — and she found the strength to continue. "Well, uh, Helle is my girlfriend. I've been in a relationship with her since senior year. And, uh, yeah. I'm a lesbian. I've known since secondary school, but I was too scared to tell anyone, except, well...Stephen. That's what I wanted to tell you."

"Oh, Stephanie, that's wonderful. I'm happy you found someone to love."

"R...really?"

"Yeah. We're just happy that you're with someone that makes you happy."

"To be honest, Stephanie, we did have our suspicions that you weren't really that interested in boys for a while. It took us a bit for us to understand what that meant, but in the end we came to the conclusion that as long as you're happy with who you are and who you're with, we're happy with that too. And you certainly seem happy with Helle."

Stephanie's face lit up, as she glanced at Helle and both her parents, who were both smiling. "Oh my God. This...I didn't...I...Thank you."

Trudy had volunteered to do the dishes; partly a way to let Stephen rest after the evening he'd spent cooking, and partly a way to be nice to her hosts. Sylvia had tried to stop Trudy from doing it, but Stephen had told her to just let Trudy have at it. She was joined by Stephanie; who'd was presumably trying to get away from the hubbub of the living room; but she suspected Stephen's sister was also trying to get to know her better.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"So, big night, huh? You finally coming out to your parents."

"Yeah. I mean, I was terrified that it wouldn't go well. But I'm glad it did. Y'know? I'm glad I get to finally, heh, be myself. Remaining in the closet did get kinda suffocating."

"Stephen told me...I'm glad it went well. I'm glad to see you being able to be yourself. I get that." Trudy grabbed a plate from the sink and began scrubbing.

"Yeah. Stephen told me a lot about you. Kinda why I'm here. Y'know, I'm proud of you. I know, we've barely met, and we don't know each other, and this is a lil' strange to say to someone you've just met, but good God does your dad sound like an absolute bitch. Don't worry. I didn't tell anyone. But I'm proud of you for staking your own path."

"Thank you," she quietly said. It felt nice to have her decision backed up by someone. "Wait. How much does Stephen tell you?"

"Relax, it's only the basics. You should've seen him before you confessed to him, though. God, I was trying to help him through his indecision every day! It was really funny. Really sad, too. But mostly funny."

"Eh?"

"Oh. He kept talking about how great you were. How pretty you were, how much of a good friend you were to him. He didn't want to confess to you because he was scared that if he did, he'd mess everything up. I'm glad you took the lead, if I'm being honest; if you hadn't done so, I think he'd still be trying to figure things out. He loved you. Well, he still does; that much is very obvious. I'm not one to say this normally, but treasure him. Urk. Saying those words felt weird."

"I know." A soft smile emerged on Trudy's face.

"Y'know, go and join him. He's out in the front garden. I'll do the dishes. No, you won't be able to convince me. You're literally a guest in his house. And my parents love you. No dish-doing required to get them on your side."

"Alright." Headstrong as Trudy was, she knew that Steph only had her best interests at heart. "Thanks, by the way. I really appreciate it."

"Don't mention it. After all, you're basically part of the family now."

Trudy found Stephen in the front garden of the house, staring silently into the night. Approaching from behind, she put her arms around him; then kissed the top of his head.

"Hey there, cowboy," she said in a low voice. "How's it hangin'? God, I can't —" she coughed "Yeah, no, let's forget I ever did that."

Stephen laughed. "Didn't expect you to come out here. Thought you were doing the dishes and all that."

"Steph told me to come here, spend time with you. Y'know, I could ask you the same thing. Poor old Helle's being bombarded with questions in there."

"I know. It's just...actually. The ground's dry. Have a seat?"

Tentatively, Trudy dropped to a squat and felt the ground with her hands. After confirming it, she sat down, and leant into Stephen. Stephen put his arms around her.

"Okay, bear with me. Right." Stephen inhaled and exhaled, evidently trying to phrase his words carefully. "You know how on our last night in Kingsbury, Charles said something along the lines of 'be careful what you wish for?'"

Stephen felt a nod hitting his chest. Gently, he continued.

"I've been thinking about it ever since. Well, dinner aside, which went pretty well, but I kept thinking about it. I mean, he's a pretty powerful guy. He could do...well, pretty much anything. I mean, Aurora's probably the biggest media group in the country."

A bit more burrowing into his chest.

"And, well, I'm...I'm not one to doomsay, or whatever. But I need you to be prepared. Both of us will have to be. Okay? Because I get a feeling this isn't over yet. Even with the fifty million. Even with you not being part of his family anymore. Actually, that's...what I'm most scared of."

"What?"

"You're not part of the Harrisons. Not anymore. Listen, I've been doing some digging online — okay, it was ten minutes — but the one thing that newspapers in this country refuse to report on was your family. Nothing about your mom. Nothing about your dad. Well, nothing negative, anyway. Nothing on the sort of thing John Ashburn experienced when it turned out his brother was an alcoholic, and he'd been trying to keep it secret. Trudy. Do you see where I'm going with this?"

"No...not particularly."

Another deep breath. "Well, until two nights ago you were a Harrison."

"Mm-hm."

"The media refuses to report on the Harrisons."

"Right."

"Well, you're no longer a Harrison. We cast off that last anchor. We're in danger now. He knows we're in a relationship. Who else knows? My family. The Chromatik dressing room. That's it."

Trudy's heart began to sink.

"But now that he knows that we're together, and since you're not under his protection..."

"Fuck." Trudy unwrapped herself from Stephen's arms. "I can't believe this is happening because of me. I made a mistake, didn't I? Oh God."

"It's not because of you, Trudy. You made the right choice, and I'll support you wholly." Stephen remained resolute and calm. "We...we just have to be prepared for the eventuality that our relationship is going public."

"I don't want it go to public...I've put your family in danger, now. Stephen, I'm a danger to you. I don't know what to do."

"You're not a danger to me. I'll be here with and for you, whatever happens. I'm ready. We'll all be here. And I've got a few ideas."

"What...what do you suggest we do?"

"We could beat him at his own game."

Tumbra
Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:59 am

defender meets midfielder: season 6, part 12
rebel with a cause (season finale)

Straton

The night was still. Quiet. Tantalisingly so.

In that way, it was just a typical Straton evening; there was always much less of those rolling winds here than in Georgia or anywhere else in Tumbra. Stephen had long since learned to fall asleep with the sound of the cicadas in the night disturbing the tranquility of the night. It was one of those little things that made Straton unique; apart from that obscenely high rate of urbanisation it shared with Bencoolen. Unlike other nights, though, Stephen wasn't asleep, or lying in the bed that was by now a bit short to fit him.

Clack-clack-clack-click.

The room was darkened; except for the almost blinding glare of the computer screen, which was turned away from his girlfriend. She, for one, had taken almost immediately to Stephen's bed, and was fast asleep. She needed it, the poor dear; after all, she'd been through a lot in the last few days. Seeing her sleeping with a peaceful expression on her face was almost relieving for him.

But he had work to do.

Click-click-clack-clack-clack.

Each site he'd clicked on seemed worse than the last. He'd visited all of the major television stations, then all the newspapers. The Teeb — the TBC, Tumbran Broadcasting Corporation, that is — wouldn't be interested. Neither would the Herald, or the Times, or the Post; and the Tribune, owned by Trudy's father, was out of the option. No, Tumbra's media landscape was toxic beyond hell; and he didn't trust a single reporter from the country to do it. Not to mention that almost anyone in Tumbra, he believed, could be bought. A few extra zeroes in their bank account and you'd shut up almost anyone.

You couldn't blame them. It was tough to be a journalist in Tumbra. Even tougher to make a living off of it. You were either in the circle, and made a living off publishing faff while drawing a monthly salary for one of the big seven papers; or out of it, and were doing your best to get into that circle. But also publishing faff.

Drrrrrrrr. Click. Clack-clack-clack-clack.

Would Francesco Raviolo, the Grande Cucinan sports reporter that had so kindly helped Stephen so long ago, come to his aid again? That seemed unlikely; after all, Francesco knew how to break a story, but he was more likely to report on whether Vincent Hicks was actually going to leave Metropola than reveal that Stephen and Trudy were in a relationship.

No, that wouldn't work. If he was going to break a news story about the two of them, then it would be about whether they were leaving Chromatik. Which they weren't. No, the realisation dawned on Stephen, it couldn't be a Tumbran source that broke the story. Not even the Bencoolen Globe, the only real left-wing paper that seemed to hate Charles Harrison's media empire with about the same amount of vitriol that Trudy hated Charles Harrison would suffice; this story was too lowbrow for them.

It couldn't be Tumbra.

Even if the whole objective was to beat one of the many tabloids under the Aurora label to the "scoop." They'd had an argument about this before bed, but Trudy eventually came round to his point of view about needing to be the ones to set the story; rather than let Aurora set the tone by running whatever lurid content they wanted. People read Aurora newspapers; it wasn't just because one infamously had uncensored breasts on page three of their coverage, though that helped. No, it was because Aurora newspapers had the perfect amount of trash stories, eye-popping graphics (uncensored breasts aside), and stories considered exciting. People didn't seem to care about inflation or the fact that the exchange rate to the Euran pound was heaving underneath it; no, they cared more about which celebrity had gotten hair implants, or who was getting together with who.

Inflation wasn't exciting. Stephen Kerr going out with Trudy Harrison was.

Click-click-click.

Stephen wiped a bead of sweat from his brow.

It couldn't be a Tumbran source.

So who could it be? Who would care enough about them to listen to them, and to publish their story with little to no alterations. It had to be a Chromatik — the country, not the club — source. He needed to get the story to someone now, and seek approval from the club later; and if they gave their go-ahead, then it would be published. He'd hold them hostage over this, Stephen thought; there was no way he was going to let them say no. His own safety, he reckoned, as well as that of his girlfriend's, was at risk. He understood why the club would be reluctant to have the story go public; he wouldn't want two of his team-mates going out right in front of him. And if it didn't work out — as remote as the possibility even was, with the two of them — he wouldn't want to face the fall-out, either.

No, he understood why Chromatik would be reluctant to let the story out. But this wasn't about them — this was about the person lying in the bed, a smile on her face.

It was about her.

Chromatika news, was the next query typed into the search bar.

Two words, both belonging to a blazing red logo, appeared on the page.

Tiptoeing down the stairs, phone in hand, Stephen knew what he had to do. He'd checked the time in Chromia, though by now he knew what time it was; those video calls with Trudy all the time back had ingrained into his brain that Tumbra's time difference from Chromatika was twelve hours. Avoiding the seventh step — that was the creaky one — he gently landed on the ground floor, unlocked the front door, and crept outside.

A deep breath.

Before he dialled the number on his phone, he checked the time in Chromia once more. Okay. It was lunch-time, though he didn't know when the offices of The Rebel went out for lunch. In the worst case scenario, he'd call back in an hour's time; in the best-case scenario, he'd immediately be able to talk to the man he wanted to talk to.

Before he dialled the number, doubts crept into his mind.

How will you be able to prove that it's you? You could be some rando trying to call in pretending to be Stephen Kerr. Or someone claiming to be Stephen Kerr.

Are you even sure, like, he wants to speak to you? You never know, he might just rubbish the story. If he even believes you're Stephen Kerr, anyway.

What if he doesn't believe —

Shutting out the thoughts in his head, he dialled the number. Each ring made his heart beat faster; would the other side pick up? What would he say? Would they be receptive? God, it was no wonder nobody liked making phone calls in this day and age. The anxiety of not knowing what the other person would say. The fear of sounding, looking like —

"Good afternoon. You've reached the offices of The Rebel. My name is Fleur. How may I help you today?"

"Uh, hi. This is, uh, Stephen Kerr. The defender, you know, who plays for Chromatik."

"Mr. Kerr? Oh my! How may I help you?"

"I'd like to speak to, uh, Mr. Jordan Lawless, please."

"Mr. Lawless? He is currently out at lunch. But I can leave a message for him if you wish."

"Uh. Yeah, I'd like for him to call me back. At this number; you can see it, right?"

"I definitely can, Mr. Kerr. Yes, I can see your number, and it is coming to me right from Tumbra."

"Yeah. Great. Uh, yeah. That's about it. I need to talk to him ASAP. And he can call me back at this number. I'll be here."

"Alright, I will pass that message on to him, and he will call back when he returns."

"Right. Thank you."

"Thank you, Mr. Kerr."

Stephen hung up, sat on the front porch, and began waiting for the return call.

Not quite an hour later, where he'd begun to fall asleep in the cool midnight air, Stephen's phone vibrated. Shocked out of his thoughts (and mild sleepiness), he nearly threw the phone onto the ground; but managed to keep the phone on the table, grasping it; and sliding the green bar to the right faster than he ever did.

"Hello? Mr. Kerr, are you there? Yes, this is Jordan Lawless, the Chief Sports Correspondent of The Rebel. How can I help you?"
Last edited by Tumbra on Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports