NATION

PASSWORD

American Politics Thread VI: Can't We All Just Get Along?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it no longer possible to collaborate with political opponents at this stage?

It is no longer possible.
36%
It is possible.
25%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar economic views.
7%
Collaboration is possible if we have similar cultural/social views.
16%
Why would I collaborate with anyone? Going monke is the best way forward.
16%

Total votes : 653

Catarapania
Envoy

Founded: Jun 27, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Catarapania » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:19 pm

North Washington Republic wrote:
Catarapania wrote:It's simple. The Left has made it clear that there is no room for "God and Guns Conservativism" in their society. So we have elected to fight back against the Leftist agenda by any means necessary.

I don't condone outright deception. I find it deplorable that we have been forced to such measures. I hate Trump with a burning passion for what he turned my party into. But, at the end of the day, the Left is still an existential threat to us. How did you expect us to respond to the Culture War setbacks you foisted upon us during the Obama administration? Roll over and let you marginalize us? Fuck that shit.

Stop acting like a victim. Conservative Christianity is not under attack in the United States, most people are just not agreeing with your on abortion and especially LGBT issues anymore.

It's not the fact that you disagree with me on such subjects that has me worried. It's the fact that you're actively attempting to shove 2000 years of tradition out the Overton Window, and are proud of yourself insofar as you have succeeded. If there's no room for the traditional interpretation of Christianity in polite society, can that society really be said to be committed to religious freedom?

North Washington Republic
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Catarapania wrote:
Stop acting like a victim. Conservative Christianity is not under attack in the United States, most people are just not agreeing with your on abortion and especially LGBT issues anymore.

It's not the fact that you disagree with me on such subjects that has me worried. It's the fact that you're actively attempting to shove 2000 years of tradition out the Overton Window, and are proud of yourself insofar as you have succeeded. If there's no room for the traditional interpretation of Christianity in polite society, can that society really be said to be committed to religious freedom?

I’m not attempting anything. Just because the majority of people disagree with your theology doesn’t mean there isn’t religious freedom. You’re upset because not everyone agrees with you. Religious liberty also means that people have a right not to be religious.
I’m a Wesleyan Christian center-left American Patriot. 29 year-old male and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Pro: Jesus, The Holy Bible, Constitutional Republic, representative democracy, efficient and comprehensive welfare state, neoconservatism, civic nationalism, cannabis legalization, $15 an hour min.wage, religious liberty, LGBTQIA rights, Law & Order, police, death penalty, sensible reform of law enforcement, racial equity, peace through strength, NATO, EU
Anti: Satan, sin, anarchism, paleoconservatism, communism, libertarianism, fascism, ACAB, racism, populism, Trump(ism), Qanon, Putin, Xi, Taliban.
Economic Left/Right: -0.75. Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
My 8values results

GET VACCINATED ASAP AND WEAR A MASK!!!

Fauzjhia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fauzjhia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:23 pm

Catarapania wrote:

religious freedom means you are free to believe in what ever you want, as long as you force your views on others. Its an individual, not a collective rights.
So please, explain how the left is trying to outlaw religious freedom
Warning Political position : Far-Left, self-identify as liberal-communist. also as Feminist, atheist, ecologist and nationalist.
Support : non-corrupt state, human rights, women rights, wild life protection, banning fossil fuel, cooperatives, journalists, Radio-Canada, Télé-Quebec, public media, public service, nationalization, freedom and right to be informed, Quebec's Independence, Protection of the French Language, Immigration right and integration.
really dislike conservatism

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:23 pm

Catarapania wrote:

Oh, do tell us more about what "traditional interpretation" there's no room for and the 2000-year-old institution that is being shoved out under the administration of a Catholic man.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Catarapania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Catarapania » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:23 pm

Bombadil wrote:

Using wedge issues such as religion, abortion and gun rights was a specific strategy by the Republicans from way back in the 70's.. to appeal to those who gut reacted to progressive issues such as rights, specifically to appeal to the South.

Alas these are losing support and narrowing into a smaller and thus concentrated toxic pool of base support that results in Trump supporters, who'll believe anything to cling to their view of 'culture'.

Right-wing Christians are panicking because they’re such a shrinking part of the population.

If we were shrinking, but our beliefs were still seen as valid, it wouldn't be a problem.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:25 pm

Catarapania wrote:
Right-wing Christians are panicking because they’re such a shrinking part of the population.

If we were shrinking, but our beliefs were still seen as valid, it wouldn't be a problem.

People have a right not to view your beliefs as valid. I don’t see the beliefs of Holocaust deniers as valid, but in the United States, they can still express such views.
I’m a Wesleyan Christian center-left American Patriot. 29 year-old male and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Pro: Jesus, The Holy Bible, Constitutional Republic, representative democracy, efficient and comprehensive welfare state, neoconservatism, civic nationalism, cannabis legalization, $15 an hour min.wage, religious liberty, LGBTQIA rights, Law & Order, police, death penalty, sensible reform of law enforcement, racial equity, peace through strength, NATO, EU
Anti: Satan, sin, anarchism, paleoconservatism, communism, libertarianism, fascism, ACAB, racism, populism, Trump(ism), Qanon, Putin, Xi, Taliban.
My 8values results

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:25 pm

Punished UMN wrote:

I mean that's actually a pretty good reason to panic historically speaking. It typically means that one's community may cease to exist soon for lack of ability to continue its practices and self-propagate.

Well it's power struggles right, the post-war consensus of what America stands for is changing and people don't like their deep assumptions challenged.

Republicans could still promote economic responsibility, family and crime, reimagine what a decent society looks like that appeals to the base but allows for less toxic discussion.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:26 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Catarapania wrote:

Oh, do tell us more about what "traditional interpretation" there's no room for and the 2000-year-old institution that is being shoved out under the administration of a Catholic man.

Biden being Catholic doesn't mean anything. I don't know why anyone thinks it matters.

How much did Trump's Presbyterianism mean, again? Or Obama's Christianity?
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:27 pm

Catarapania wrote:

People have a right not to view your beliefs as valid. I don’t see the beliefs of Holocaust deniers as valid, but in the United States, they can still express such views.

That's a little disingenuous to make a parallel between Holocaust Deniers and Catholics.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:28 pm

Catarapania wrote:

They can, and people can retort with facts as well.. freedom of expression goes both ways - so you can defend your beliefs, you won't go to jail.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:29 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Oh, do tell us more about what "traditional interpretation" there's no room for and the 2000-year-old institution that is being shoved out under the administration of a Catholic man.

Biden being Catholic doesn't mean anything. I don't know why anyone thinks it matters.

Ask Catarapania. They brought up the "2000 years of tradition" thing.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Catarapania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Catarapania » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:29 pm

Catarapania wrote:

I’m not attempting anything. Just because the majority of people disagree with your theology doesn’t mean there isn’t religious freedom. You’re upset because not everyone agrees with you. Religious liberty also means that people have a right not to be religious.

You completely ignored my central point. Even if you yourself are not part of the problem, there's a very active section of the populace that is trying to make a commitment to traditional sexual morality out to be "homophobic," and that smears pro-lifers as "misogynists." No one outside of my ingroup will even attempt to understand why my position is the way it is, and if I publically express my views, there go my employment opportunities.

I put it to you that, if someone can't publically state the moral teachings of their religion without being blacklisted, then religious liberty is decidedly lacking.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:30 pm

Punished UMN wrote:I mean that's actually a pretty good reason to panic historically speaking. It typically means that one's community may cease to exist soon for lack of ability to continue its practices and self-propagate.

Well, in the United States, we have religious liberty. People are free to be religious as they wish to be, however this also includes the freedom of to be non-religious. Millennials and gen z as whole are leaving religious. I will say that that the millennials and gen z folks that are religious tend to be VERY religious.

The reason that's not comforting for those of us who are religious is that it's not persecution we're afraid of, it's ceasing to exist as viable communities. A lot of religious communities already have pretty crippling demographic decline just from people leaving, and the worry for a lot of us is that as the more atheist mindset becomes the cultural default that practicing our religions will just stop being physically and culturally viable. You don't have to be persecuted to cease to exist.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Catarapania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Catarapania » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:30 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Catarapania wrote:

He's certainly not staying true to the moral teachings of his church. If he had been, I would have voted for him.

The Temple of the Computer
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Temple of the Computer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:32 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Oh, do tell us more about what "traditional interpretation" there's no room for and the 2000-year-old institution that is being shoved out under the administration of a Catholic man.

Donald Trump was a Presbyterian?
#FreeNSGRojava

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:32 pm

Catarapania wrote:

You completely ignored my central point. Even if you yourself are not part of the problem, there's a very active section of the populace that is trying to make a commitment to traditional sexual morality out to be "homophobic," and that smears pro-lifers as "misogynists." No one outside of my ingroup will even attempt to understand why my position is the way it is, and if I publically express my views, there go my employment opportunities.

I put it to you that, if someone can't publically state the moral teachings of their religion without being blacklisted, then religious liberty is decidedly lacking.

You can sue against discrimination.. imagine you can't even keep quiet about something that will damage your employment opportunities, like the colour of your skin..

十年

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:33 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

That's a little disingenuous to make a parallel between Holocaust Deniers and Catholics.

I’m making a point that people have a right to view certain worldviews as not valid or immoral. Religious liberty is a two-way street. And I didn’t bring up Catholics.
My 8values results

Sincluda
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 05, 2021
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sincluda » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:33 pm

Catarapania wrote:

He's certainly not staying true to the moral teachings of his church. If he had been, I would have voted for him.

Biden doesn't get his religion involved in his politics. He doesn't want to force his views on others, which is why he's personally pro-life but want pro-choice policies. That's an admirable quality, and my favorite thing about him, even if I'm not raving in support of him.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:34 pm

The Temple of the Computer wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Donald Trump was a Presbyterian?

So he said, iirc.

Catarapania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Catarapania » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:35 pm

Sincluda wrote:
Catarapania wrote:He's certainly not staying true to the moral teachings of his church. If he had been, I would have voted for him.

Biden doesn't get his religion involved in his politics. He doesn't want to force his views on others, which is why he's personally pro-life but want pro-choice policies. That's an admirable quality, and my favorite thing about him, even if I'm not raving in support of him.

No, it's not an admirable quality. It's absolute bullshit and hypocrisy.

He deserves to be excommunicated until he repents of his public policies on abortion.

The Temple of the Computer
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Temple of the Computer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:35 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
The Temple of the Computer wrote:Donald Trump was a Presbyterian?

So he said, iirc.

Wikipedia tells me that he is an Unspecified Protestant, but ok I guess that works too.
#FreeNSGRojava

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:36 pm

Sincluda wrote:
Catarapania wrote:He's certainly not staying true to the moral teachings of his church. If he had been, I would have voted for him.

That's one way you could see it. Another way you can see it is as a man who can easily bend his own apparent principles when it benefits him.

Regardless, there's no such thing as "personally" pro life people. You either are or you're not.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:36 pm

The Temple of the Computer wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
So he said, iirc.

Wikipedia tells me that he is an Unspecified Protestant, but ok I guess that works too.

Every belief he has is unspecified.

十年

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby North Washington Republic » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:36 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Well, in the United States, we have religious liberty. People are free to be religious as they wish to be, however this also includes the freedom of to be non-religious. Millennials and gen z as whole are leaving religious. I will say that that the millennials and gen z folks that are religious tend to be VERY religious.

The reason that's not comforting for those of us who are religious is that it's not persecution we're afraid of, it's ceasing to exist as viable communities. A lot of religious communities already have pretty crippling demographic decline just from people leaving, and the worry for a lot of us is that as the more atheist mindset becomes the cultural default that practicing our religions will just stop being physically and culturally viable. You don't have to be persecuted to cease to exist.

That sounds like work that Conservative Christians need to work on. People are free to leave any religious communities anytime they wish in the United States. It’s not the job of the wider society to push people into religion, that is the job of believers.
Last edited by North Washington Republic on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My 8values results

Catarapania
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Catarapania » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:37 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Catarapania wrote:

You can sue against discrimination.

Yeah, you think I can afford lawyers? You've got another thing coming.

And even if I could, the judge would just say that I got what was coming to me. That's the way the tide is turning. There's no room for us in society any more. Are you surprised that we fight tooth and nail to the last breath, applying every means at our disposal?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General