NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Take it on Faith, Take it to the Heart

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Dabarastan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Take it on Faith, Take it to the Heart

Postby Dabarastan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:20 am

The title of this issue is a reference to another draft we have up on the forums, 'The Waiting is the Hardest Part'. Together, they form a complete rhyming lyric from "The Waiting" by Tom Petty (you take it on faith / you take it to the heart / but the waiting is the hardest part) Other than that, the issues are unrelated, but we thought it would be fun to try pairing the titles like this. We believe that each issue's title also works well on its own.

This issue is co-authored by Jim the Baptist

Must have Theocracy

The issue

Scientists from Dàguó claim they have uncovered irrefutable evidence that the creation story of @@faith@@ is false.

1- Your assistant plays a VHS tape sent from the scientists in Dàguó, who appear on the television screen in front of you. "Greetings, @@LEADER@@. No one wants to say 'I told you so', but it's time you admit defeat: repeal your farcical state religion and surrender to technology. We all make mistakes. Dàguó would even be happy to fund evolution and science education centres for @@name@@ through our generous and entirely innocuous Dàguó-AID program."
Effect: the nation's faithful are being marched en masse to education camps for religious deprogramming

2- The television cuts to black. You look to your assistant, and notice @@him@@ aggressively gripping the remote in rage. "You're not listening to this rubbish, are you? Our faith says more than real 'evidence' ever could. They're obviously just trying to undermine our supreme religious teachings and poison our nation's purity with their toxic lies and propaganda. Just tell everyone we've found newer, better 'evidence', and send those Dàguórens your own tape telling them where they can shove their science."
Effect: "Dude, trust me," is the nation's standard threshold for evidence

3- "The Great Darkness hath befallen us!" proselytises local preacher Denis Copeland. "Listen ye faithful, for this is what the prophecy hath foretold in the ancient scriptures! We were warned of an evil spirit that will attempt to undermine our faith, and destroy our religious sovereignty. The end is nigh lest we protect our sacred divinity by building a border wall higher than our gods dwell in the sky! I summon you all to take up your tools - brick by brick we will fortify our glorious nation so we shall never have to deal with the sinful outside world ever again!"
Effect: a crisis of faith is just another brick in the wall
Last edited by Dabarastan on Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jim the Baptist
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2019
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Jim the Baptist » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:21 am

Reserved.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:58 am

I noticed the paired titles on the forum. Great song.

The draft is not bad either. "The heathens have cometh" is not grammatically correct. Are you trying to make the character look stupid or was it just a mistake?
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:08 pm

In my experience, atheists have already been claiming for a long time to have "proof" that religion is wrong, and religious people have an equally long track record of completely ignoring their arguments.

I don't think that one more piece of newly-uncovered evidence is going to drastically change the equation.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:14 pm

I knew this was going to be another JTB/Dabara collaboration as soon as I saw the title for some reason (that reason had nothing to do with Tom Petty btw) :P

The first "Dàguo" in Option 1 should probably be Dàguó. The second comma in effect line 2 probably shouldn't be there either, LOL.

Is the purported evidence deliberately left blank? :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Jim the Baptist
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2019
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Jim the Baptist » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:28 am

USS Monitor wrote:I noticed the paired titles on the forum. Great song.

The draft is not bad either. "The heathens have cometh" is not grammatically correct. Are you trying to make the character look stupid or was it just a mistake?
Thank you, we have amended this now.

Trotterdam wrote:In my experience, atheists have already been claiming for a long time to have "proof" that religion is wrong, and religious people have an equally long track record of completely ignoring their arguments.

I don't think that one more piece of newly-uncovered evidence is going to drastically change the equation.
That might be true in the real world but considering there isn't already an issue about people claiming the national religion is wrong from a scientific perspective, we can't assume what people may or may not have been saying up until now. Surely even the most simple dilemmas need addressing.

Tinhampton wrote:I knew this was going to be another JTB/Dabara collaboration as soon as I saw the title for some reason (that reason had nothing to do with Tom Petty btw) :P

The first "Dàguo" in Option 1 should probably be Dàguó. The second comma in effect line 2 probably shouldn't be there either, LOL.

Is the purported evidence deliberately left blank? :P
Thank you, we fixed the Dàguó and yes it is blank as we wanted to keep the 'evidence' vague so as to avoid making assumptions about the nature of people's religion/faith.
Last edited by Jim the Baptist on Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:44 am

You may submit this now.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Dabarastan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dabarastan » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 am

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:You may submit this now.

Thank you. We have now submitted this draft (and we have also submitted its partner issue by paired-titled for good measure, just in case).

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:50 am

I would say good luck, but you don't need it for this draft. :)
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?