NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Heads of State

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[DRAFT] Heads of State

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:35 pm

There's not enough issues for crapsack nations, I figure...

TITLE:
Heads of State

VALIDITY:
very high corruption, very low political freedoms, uses secret police, no elections, ADULT

DESCRIPTION:
@@CAPITAL@@ has been shaken and terrified by the exploits of the so-called Executioner, a serial killer targeting and decapitating young women who has so far claimed more than three dozen victims. A low-ranking inner city detective has been working @@HIS(1)@@ own investigation, and made a shocking discovery: the Executioner is none other than Padraig Boatman, your Chief of Secret Police, who is a man of considerable influence and connections and a long time staunch supporter of your regime.

OPTION 1
"I thought it best to go to the very top with this information," whispers @@randomname@@, the detective who made the discovery. "While I understand our nation's need to have morally flexible covert law enforcement, I suspected that these were extrajudicial and unapproved executions, and perhaps that you might want to address Boatman's little excesses. Maybe, if I could make a bold suggestion, you might want to quietly remove Boatman from his position, and install someone else. Perhaps, say, a devoted police officer who has shown that @@HE@@ will always come to you first with any sensitive matters?"
OUTCOME:
bureaucratic cuts are made in the dead of night

OPTION 2
"My sister was one of the victims," quietly interjects your normally taciturn typist, speaking out loud for the first time since you hired her. "@@LEADER@@, I have done my job with tact and discretion for years, but I feel I must now speak out. Everybody, even secret policemen, must be accountable to some degree. Don't let a man like Padraig Boatman define the tenor of your rule. I beg you, expose him and convict him publicly, and show that no man is above the rule of law."
OUTCOME:
the corrupt tyrant in charge of the country claims to be on an anti-corruption crusade

OPTION 3
"Any government, even an unelected one, continues to exist with the consent of its people," says your Chief of Secret Police, speaking softly as he enters your office from a side door, accompanied by masked officers who seize the previous two speakers. He pops a CD of Phil Collins' No Jacket Required on, and turns up the volume to drown out their shouts for help, and then leads you into the corridor to continue the conversation. "The blood is not on my hands, nor indeed on yours. Rather, it was my officers who carried out these executions, with careful selection of those with possible dissident tendencies. The net result? The people of @@CAPITAL@@ cry out for more protection, and more police spending. The consent of the people to be policed increases, and your control increases. So you see, this is how we maintain your power. Of course, we must show results, as well. All evidence seems to suggest that the Executioner has just been caught, a mild-mannered typist harbouring anti-government sentiments. You're welcome."
OUTCOME:
the rule of law is considered to be a core @@DEMONYM@@ value
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:40 pm

Why that fixed name for the villain?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:30 am

Bears Armed wrote:Why that fixed name for the villain?

I suspect it's a reference to Patrick Bateman, the main character/serial killer from American Psycho.

Doing a bit more WIkipedia diving, that's also the source of reference for the specific CD in the final option - it is apparently discussed by Bateman in both the book and movie.

-----

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:OPTION 2
"My sister was one of the victims," quietly interjects your normally taciturn typist, speaking out loud for the first time since you hired her. "@@LEADER@@, I have done my job with tact and discretion for years, but I feel I must now speak out. Everybody, even secret policemen, must be accountable to some degree. Don't let a man like Padraig Boatman define the tenor of your rule. I beg you, expose him and convict him publicly, and show that no man is above the rule of law."

Is there a reason for this typist to be female? I don't believe the typist's sex comes up again, and anybody can be quiet and have a sister. (Not sure if it's another reference... I've never seen/read American Psycho and had to look up what I responded with above).
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:17 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:All evidence seems to suggest that the Executioner has just been caught, a mild-mannered typist harbouring anti-government sentiments.

A colon would be appropriate.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:43 am

Verdant Haven wrote:Is there a reason for this typist to be female? I don't believe the typist's sex comes up again, and anybody can be quiet and have a sister. (Not sure if it's another reference... I've never seen/read American Psycho and had to look up what I responded with above).

Subconscious sexism on my part. I'll fix that.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:44 am

Merconitonitopia wrote:A colon would be appropriate.

Said the serial killer interior designer, when being asked what curtain ties would go with his decor.

I'll fix that in next draft, thanks.

Return to Got Issues?