NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Convention on Guest Workers

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Hulldom
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[PASSED] Convention on Guest Workers

Postby Hulldom » Fri May 28, 2021 2:42 pm

Not so bold, not so fresh, not so exciting! It’s Hulldom/Boston Castle writing an original proposal!

Convention on Guest Workers

Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Labour Rights

The World Assembly,

Noticing that individuals regularly seek work outside of their home nation for one reason or another,

Recognizing that this august body has not yet imposed a comprehensive set of regulations which their employers and member states must follow,

Hereby:

1. Defines “guest worker” as an employee who temporarily works in a country other than that of the nation in which that person is a citizen.
  2. Requires that employers in World Assembly member states pay guest workers the same wages as their domestic counterparts for the same responsibilities, performance, and title.
  3. Further mandates that employers in World Assembly member states not discriminate against domestic workers or guest workers in hiring or retention practices due to their status as such.
  4. Requires that employers in member states assist in the provision of a minimum standard of living providing basic necessities for newly arrived guest workers.
  5. Instructs employers and member states to make provision for guest workers to receive social services and healthcare while fulfilling the terms of their contract and that guest workers make the mandatory number of contributions into social services or healthcare services required by the member state they work in for them and, if applicable, their dependents to be able to access aforementioned services.
  6. Orders employers or World Assembly member states to not enforce immigration provisions on guest workers, provided they continue to fulfill the terms of their contract.
    1. Decrees that member nations may not cancel an employee’s visa and employers may not terminate a guest worker’s contract, in the event that the guest worker is involved in legal action undertaken in the state in which they work and the legal action to be undertaken is to take place after the expiry of a guest worker’s work permit.
    2. If the legal action involving the guest worker is of a civil nature, the member nation must either provide for the guest worker to stay in their host nation until the civil action or the guest worker may leave the member nation on the condition that the member state respect to their right to reenter their jurisdiction for the purpose of participating in said aforementioned civil action.
    3. If the legal action involving the guest worker is of a criminal nature, the state may enforce any provisions it sees fit regarding the detaining or remand of criminal defendants.
  7. Directs member states make provision for the ability of guest workers to report violations of their rights similar to provisions extant in World Assembly law and further requires that member states or employers not retaliate, either in withholding wages, documentation such as a work permit, or agreed upon goods or services as a result of a report by a guest worker that their employer has violated their rights.
  8. Declares that nothing in this resolution requires a member state to operate a guest worker program or constitutes a right to migrate for work.
Last edited by Goobergunchia on Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 33 times in total.
Reason: Question put and agreed to.
...And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud!

Ardiveds
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardiveds » Fri May 28, 2021 2:49 pm

OOC: Why exactly must guest workers recieve the same social services and healthcare services that a citizens would receive while not having to pay the taxes that citisens do?
If the ambassador acts like an ambassador, it's probably Delegate Arthur.
If he acts like an edgy teen, it's probably definitely Delegate Jim.... it's always Jim

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Fri May 28, 2021 3:00 pm

Ardiveds wrote:OOC: Why exactly must guest workers recieve the same social services and healthcare services that a citizens would receive while not having to pay the taxes that citisens do?

OOC: Guess I should specify that, though at least in the US, automatic unless you’re getting paid under the table. [I know businesses that do pay their employees under the table, but obviously the vast majority comply with Medicare and SSA Taxes.]

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri May 28, 2021 3:14 pm

OOC: Section 4 - it's not unreasonable for member states to require a certain number of contributions to social insurance before someone becomes entitled to draw from it.

5a - so while the guest worker is hanging around the member nation after their visa expires, who pays their way?

5b - what provisions are we talking about here? This seems suspiciously like secondary legislation.

6 - what retaliation is noted in section 5? I don't see any. What are these similar provisions in extant WA law that you refer to?

7 - WACC already does this. Is it necessary to duplicate GAR#390 and GAR#440?
Last edited by Bananaistan on Fri May 28, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Fri May 28, 2021 3:18 pm

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: Section 4 - it's not unreasonable for member states to require a certain number of contributions to social insurance before someone becomes entitled to draw from it.

5a - so while the guest worker is hanging around the member nation after their visa expires, who pays their way?

5b - what provisions are we talking about here? This seems suspiciously like secondary legislation.

6 - what retaliation is noted in section 5? I don't see any. What are these similar provisions in extant WA law that you refer to?

Re: 7, is that saying that provision *itself* is unnecessary or that the points made in the clauses are unnecessary, otherwise, noted.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri May 28, 2021 3:19 pm

Hulldom wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:OOC: Section 4 - it's not unreasonable for member states to require a certain number of contributions to social insurance before someone becomes entitled to draw from it.

Re: 7, is that saying that provision *itself* is unnecessary or that the points made in the clauses are unnecessary, otherwise, noted.

WACC already ensures that member states enforce compliance.
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Fri May 28, 2021 3:23 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Hulldom wrote:Re: 7, is that saying that provision *itself* is unnecessary or that the points made in the clauses are unnecessary, otherwise, noted.

WACC already ensures that member states enforce compliance.

Ahhhhh. Was making sure.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat May 29, 2021 2:33 am

Noticing that many human beings regularly seek work outside of their home nation for one reason or another,

"human beings" read very oddly for me. Why not "humans" or "people"?
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Sat May 29, 2021 5:49 am

Honeydewistania wrote:
Noticing that many human beings regularly seek work outside of their home nation for one reason or another,

"human beings" read very oddly for me. Why not "humans" or "people"?

When I wrote this initially, I was leaning towards sapient beings, but that’s a simple enough change.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat May 29, 2021 8:44 am

Prefer "individual" for natural person rather than falling immediately to Star Trek terminology or the ambiguous "person" without modifier.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Sat May 29, 2021 8:45 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Prefer "individual" for natural person rather than falling immediately to Star Trek terminology or the ambiguous "person" without modifier.

Fixed!

On a lighter note: if that's the worst thing I get on a first read-through by people, I'll take it!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat May 29, 2021 8:49 am

Hulldom wrote:On a lighter note: if that's the worst thing I get on a first read-through by people, I'll take it!

I've not read the proposal.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat May 29, 2021 9:07 am

Hulldom wrote:Defines “guest worker” as an employee of a company or a government who works in a country other than that in which they hold citizenship and does so as the result of a government or employer-based visa or other form of sponsorship.

For citizenship substitute nationality (though this naturally depends) or, perhaps the more specific, right to work.

Hulldom wrote:[*]Mandates that employers in World Assembly member states shall not force guest workers to work for less than the minimum wage or other enforced wage standard implemented by the employer or by the state in which they are to work.
  1. Strongly urges employers to pay guest workers the same wages as their domestic counterparts.
[*]Further mandates that employers in member states assist in the provision of accommodation and basic goods such as food and required attire for newly arrived guest workers.

You should not use one-element sublists. We don't have minimum wages in the WA. I would enforce a non-discrimination requirement in employment law. Because there are implicit issues with enforcing a outcomes-based test, I would impose this with a wilfulness requirement.

Hulldom wrote:[*]Instructs employers and member states to make provision for guest workers to receive social services and healthcare while fulfilling the terms of their sponsorship or visa.
  1. Notes that in order to receive state funded social services while in their state that employers of guest workers must ensure that guest workers pay the appropriate taxes and fees for a period of approximately one-quarter of the period of the visa or sponsorship.

You should not use one-element sublists. The cost of providing healthcare is large, especially in developed economies. While I am unclear as to what specific proportion is needed, I am sure that it would change based on the extent of care, the person who needs care, and their income level. Calibrating it poorly would have nations choose to restrict their issuing of work permits because most workers become net fiscally negative, depriving potential workers of better salaries and opportunities than in their home countries.

Hulldom wrote:[*]Orders that employers or World Assembly member states not enforce immigration enforcement laws on guest workers, provided they continue to fulfill the terms of their sponsorship or visa.
  1. Decrees that member nations and employers may not terminate a guest worker’s visa or sponsorship, and must extend it, in the event that the guest worker is the complainant or the defendant in legal action undertaken in the state in which they work and the legal action to be undertaken is to take place after the expiry of a guest worker’s visa or sponsorship.
  2. Further decrees that in the event of a guest worker needing to stay beyond the terms of their visa to participate in a civil action that the employer must provide for the employer to stay on until the civil action provided that the guest worker has heretofore successfully fulfilled the terms of their visa in the eyes of the company.
  3. In the event of a guest worker facing a criminal complaint or charge, the state may enforce any provisions it sees fit regarding the detaining or remand of criminal defendants.

Please rephrase this, I don't know what it means.

Hulldom wrote:[*]Requires that member states make provision for the ability of guest workers to report violations of their rights similar to provisions extant in World Assembly law and that this procedure be anonymized in order to protect employers from retaliation rooted in their filing a complaint.

While this could work in some situations, in others, it cannot. (See eg Am Disabilities Act and enforcement of its provisions by the EEOC and, in the federal government at least, other separate agencies.) Eg with disability accommodations. Anonymity defeats the point: you cannot provide a specific person an accommodation if you do not know who that person is. It is better to prohibit retaliation itself.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Mon May 31, 2021 1:47 pm

Edited and bumped

Not entirely sure about the “willfulness requirement”, but one of y’all could maybe help?

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:46 am

*picks up the box with copies of this proposal and puts it on the roundtable*
“Sorry for making you wait, my esteemed friends.”

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:36 pm

"Regarding section 6b. Is this forcing an employer to retain the employee on the payroll? What if the contract and work is complete?"
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:01 pm

Bananaistan wrote:"Regarding section 6b. Is this forcing an employer to retain the employee on the payroll? What if the contract and work is complete?"

"That is an excellent question, Ambassador. I am open to revising that clause, but it seemed to be the easiest solution than requiring the employee to provide for their own upkeep at such a time."

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:22 pm

"Ambassador Van Roy, this draft enjoys our tentative support. That being said, I do have a few concerns.

First, regarding Article 2: would it be unreasonable to require that "employers to pay guest workers the same wages as their domestic counterparts", as opposed to '"strongly urging" it? And second, in regards to Article 6(b), I am a tad bit confused over this wording: "the employer must provide for the employer". Could you please clarify this, or word it in a more clear manner?

In regards to everything else, I find that the draft is suitable and well-written. I look forward to seeing this progress to the voting floor when it is ready to do so."
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:33 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:"Ambassador Van Roy, this draft enjoys our tentative support. That being said, I do have a few concerns.

First, regarding Article 2: would it be unreasonable to require that "employers to pay guest workers the same wages as their domestic counterparts", as opposed to '"strongly urging" it? And second, in regards to Article 6(b), I am a tad bit confused over this wording: "the employer must provide for the employer". Could you please clarify this, or word it in a more clear manner?

In regards to everything else, I find that the draft is suitable and well-written. I look forward to seeing this progress to the voting floor when it is ready to do so."

“Noted on both parts, sir. Will make the changes when I’m back at my laptop. Unfortunately, my handwriting is practically illegible and I refuse to subject the esteemed General Assembly ambassadors to that.”

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:56 pm

Hulldom wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:"Ambassador Van Roy, this draft enjoys our tentative support. That being said, I do have a few concerns.

“Noted on both parts, sir. Will make the changes when I’m back at my laptop. Unfortunately, my handwriting is practically illegible and I refuse to subject the esteemed General Assembly ambassadors to that.”

McCooley smiles lightheartedly. "That is perfectly already, Ambassador."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:30 pm

"I believe the changes requested by my esteemed Bananaistanian and Cesnican colleagues have been affected."

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:50 pm

"Excellent, Ambassador. Pending further issues being found, this draft now enjoys our full support."
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:19 pm

“Your second preambulatory clause makes mention of there being regulations which guest workers must follow, yet I can see no such regulations in the active clauses. Other than that minor wording concern, with the recent changes, I cannot see any issues with this draft.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Hulldom
Ambassador

Postby Hulldom » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:22 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“Your second preambulatory clause makes mention of there being regulations which guest workers must follow, yet I can see no such regulations in the active clauses. Other than that minor wording concern, with the recent changes, I cannot see any issues with this draft.”

OOC: rather than re-working the whole thing just removed the offending words!
Last edited by Hulldom on Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:09 pm

Hulldom wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“Your second preambulatory clause makes mention of there being regulations which guest workers must follow, yet I can see no such regulations in the active clauses. Other than that minor wording concern, with the recent changes, I cannot see any issues with this draft.”

OOC: rather than re-working the whole thing just removed the offending words!

(OOC: Yes, that is what I would have done. It was only a small concern.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives