NATION

PASSWORD

China's growing power casts doubt on US defense of Taiwan

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gouverne
Secretary

Founded: Jul 04, 2020
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gouverne » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:17 am

Saiwania wrote:I would also recommend giving Taiwan nukes, to give China its own missile crisis. If they back off from all future expansionism, an agreement can be had to let it be that Taiwan won't be nuclear armed. But so long as China wants to invade, Taiwan must be able to nuke China in retaliation if it has to come to that.

Definitely disagree. The international community (especially the US) should leave the PRC + RoC alone. Let them sort out their own civil war; the first step to finishing the civil war is for the RoC to stop claiming all of mainland China + Mongolia + other parts of Asia and to rename itself as "Taiwan". Then perhaps, the PRC won't want to annex Taiwan.

Gouverne
Secretary

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gouverne » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:21 am

FutureAmerica wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Taiwan is a part of China. I hope for peaceful reunification.

The problem here is the USA, they are trying to divide the Chinese people and make them fight with each other. You only have to look at a world map and ask the real question here... what is America, a North American country, doing an entire giant ocean away in Asia?

At the end of the day, the PRC is minding its own business. Other countries are trying to encroach. But times have changed, this isn’t the 1800s anymore. I think that’s what many governments have to understand.

China is also trying to divide the US and create division just like Russia is doing. The PRC is not minding its own business and is trying to influence politics around the World. You are blind if you don't see this.

ofc the PRC is influencing politics around the world, everyone knows that. but it is also to important to note that for the last 70+ years America has had a unilateral influence on not just global politics but global (primarily Western) culture, technology and society around the world.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:21 am

Gouverne wrote:
Saiwania wrote:I would also recommend giving Taiwan nukes, to give China its own missile crisis. If they back off from all future expansionism, an agreement can be had to let it be that Taiwan won't be nuclear armed. But so long as China wants to invade, Taiwan must be able to nuke China in retaliation if it has to come to that.

Definitely disagree. The international community (especially the US) should leave the PRC + RoC alone. Let them sort out their own civil war; the first step to finishing the civil war is for the RoC to stop claiming all of mainland China + Mongolia + other parts of Asia and to rename itself as "Taiwan". Then perhaps, the PRC won't want to annex Taiwan.
Uhhh actually that'll make China want to invade *more*. That's the main reason Taiwan hasn't, you know, done that.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Gouverne
Secretary

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gouverne » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:23 am

Kubra wrote:
Gouverne wrote:
Uhhh actually that'll make China want to invade *more*. That's the main reason Taiwan hasn't, you know, done that.

or there's the peaceful reunification option - but until a post-Xi era comes, I doubt that'll be a popular decision in Taiwan

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:35 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Taiwan is a part of China. I hope for peaceful reunification.

The problem here is the USA, they are trying to divide the Chinese people and make them fight with each other. You only have to look at a world map and ask the real question here... what is America, a North American country, doing an entire giant ocean away in Asia?

At the end of the day, the PRC is minding its own business. Other countries are trying to encroach. But times have changed, this isn’t the 1800s anymore. I think that’s what many governments have to understand.

Taiwan has not been effectively united with China for much of its history. Usually it has served as a refuge for Chinese people who detest the central government. I don't think unification would ever happen peacefully.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:16 am

The best solution to the current predicament of the Taiwanese Province would be for it to become a special autonomous region of the People's Republic of China. There is no real chance for it to ever reconquer China, and America's power is in decline (which is for the better, given their foreign policy in the past).

At this point, Taiwan's going to return to the Chinese motherland: the only question is whether it wants to be a special autonomous region along the lines of Macau or if it wants to be integrated as an ordinary province. The only situation in which Taiwan maintains its sovereignty in the long term would likely involve a war, which would likely suck for humanity as a whole.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:19 am

Luziyca wrote:The best solution to the current predicament of the Taiwanese Province would be for it to become a special autonomous region of the People's Republic of China. There is no real chance for it to ever reconquer China, and America's power is in decline (which is for the better, given their foreign policy in the past).

At this point, Taiwan's going to return to the Chinese motherland: the only question is whether it wants to be a special autonomous region along the lines of Macau or if it wants to be integrated as an ordinary province. The only situation in which Taiwan maintains its sovereignty in the long term would likely involve a war, which would likely suck for humanity as a whole.

After a look at what is happening in Hong Kong, I can't see Taiwan going for that. And I do think the question will ultimately result in war.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:21 am

lol the US would not do shit if China took over Taiwan. Pax Americana died like 20 years ago.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:23 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Luziyca wrote:The best solution to the current predicament of the Taiwanese Province would be for it to become a special autonomous region of the People's Republic of China. There is no real chance for it to ever reconquer China, and America's power is in decline (which is for the better, given their foreign policy in the past).

After a look at what is happening in Hong Kong, I can't see Taiwan going for that. And I do think the question will ultimately result in war.

When Taiwan gets invaded, I do not really see the Chinese government giving the Taiwanese meaningful autonomy: in the best case scenario, their autonomy would be like the Tibetan Autonomous Region, the Inner Mongolian Autonomous Region, the Xinjiang Autonomous Region, et cetera.

Becoming a special autonomous region and reunifying peacefully would likely give the Taiwanese people better odds of their current way of life surviving Chinese rule than China invading Taiwan and annexing it.
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:28 am

Luziyca wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:After a look at what is happening in Hong Kong, I can't see Taiwan going for that. And I do think the question will ultimately result in war.

When Taiwan gets invaded, I do not really see the Chinese government giving the Taiwanese meaningful autonomy: in the best case scenario, their autonomy would be like the Tibetan Autonomous Region, the Inner Mongolian Autonomous Region, the Xinjiang Autonomous Region, et cetera.

Becoming a special autonomous region and reunifying peacefully would likely give the Taiwanese people better odds of their current way of life surviving Chinese rule than China invading Taiwan and annexing it.

I dont disagree, I just think it will turn into a very bloody war before Taiwan submits to the PRC. If I were Taiwanese I would be ok with that.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:31 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Luziyca wrote:When Taiwan gets invaded, I do not really see the Chinese government giving the Taiwanese meaningful autonomy: in the best case scenario, their autonomy would be like the Tibetan Autonomous Region, the Inner Mongolian Autonomous Region, the Xinjiang Autonomous Region, et cetera.

I dont disagree, I just think it will turn into a very bloody war before Taiwan submits to the PRC. If I were Taiwanese I would be ok with that.

I don't think Taiwan would really put up much of a fight anyways. it's in their interest to work out a deal.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:40 am

Unless we put American Nukes aimed at Red China they can take Taiwan when they please. We should have handled China during the Civil War or the Massacre in the 80s. Hell China attacked UN forces in Korea, we could have handled them then. But we didn't.
Now we have China on the Rise and America never climax. The only solution is to get our crap together and defeat them economically and/or militarily.
Australia, South Korea, India, Japan, Tiwan, and Possibly the UK are onboard to handle China. If up to me we would invade asap
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:42 am

Christian Confederation wrote:Unless we put American Nukes aimed at Red China they can take Taiwan when they please. We should have handled China during the Civil War or the Massacre in the 80s. Hell China attacked UN forces in Korea, we could have handled them then. But we didn't.
Now we have China on the Rise and America never climax. The only solution is to get our crap together and defeat them economically and/or militarily.
Australia, South Korea, India, Japan, Tiwan, and Possibly the UK are onboard to handle China. If up to me we would invade asap

Are you really willing to start World War III over Taiwan
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:44 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:Unless we put American Nukes aimed at Red China they can take Taiwan when they please. We should have handled China during the Civil War or the Massacre in the 80s. Hell China attacked UN forces in Korea, we could have handled them then. But we didn't.

Are you really willing to start World War III over Taiwan

End of the day, yes.

But ask me again when it becomes a reality.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:47 am

Whether done forcibly by a conflict or 'willingly' via reunification, the end result would be the same.

The PRC does not seem to respect agreed-upon autonomy in the end, as can be seen with Hong Kong.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:50 am

Okay General MacArthur. Are you willing to go through a nuclear holocaust for that?
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:27 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:Whether done forcibly by a conflict or 'willingly' via reunification, the end result would be the same.

The PRC does not seem to respect agreed-upon autonomy in the end, as can be seen with Hong Kong.

I would argue that for the Taiwanese, being a special administrative region like Macau or Hong Kong would be a much preferable alternative than, at best, having the same level of autonomy as Tibet, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, et. al., given from what I gather, those places don't have a lot of autonomy compared to Hong Kong and Macau.

While there is no doubt their autonomy will get eroded, it'd be better for the Taiwanese to be a special administrative region given that they would not be under the complete boot of the Chinese Communist Party, and wouldn't endure the full brunt of their internal policies (which I find reprehensible, despite my support for Chinese foreign policy). Being an autonomous region like Tibet or being an ordinary province will provide no such guarantees in the first place, which would be likely to occur should the Province of Taiwan return to central control as a result of war.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:29 am

Luziyca wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:Whether done forcibly by a conflict or 'willingly' via reunification, the end result would be the same.

I would argue that for the Taiwanese, being a special administrative region like Macau or Hong Kong would be a much preferable alternative than, at best, having the same level of autonomy as Tibet, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, et. al., given from what I gather, those places don't have a lot of autonomy compared to Hong Kong and Macau.

Of course a better alternative to being thralls of the Peking slaver regime is complete independence.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:30 am

Luziyca wrote:

While there is no doubt their autonomy will get eroded, it'd be better for the Taiwanese to be a special administrative region given that they would not be under the complete boot of the Chinese Communist Party, and wouldn't endure the full brunt of their internal policies (which I find reprehensible, despite my support for Chinese foreign policy). Being an autonomous region like Tibet or being an ordinary province will provide no such guarantees in the first place, which would be likely to occur should the Province of Taiwan return to central control as a result of war.

Much like Hong Kong, either way they will be under the revenge seeking boot of the PRC. THe only question is how many are going to die before the PRC gets there.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Enjuku
Envoy

Founded: Oct 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enjuku » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:41 am

Time for the US to step aside.

Their empire is over. China knows well what imperialism is like; they've been victims of it for the past several hundred years. That's why they've mastered it.

Much like how the US surpassed the British Empire despite them being subservient to Britain, China will surpass the US despite previously being subservient to the West. It's why most of the West tried to keep China divided for so long. The largest country on Earth with the most productive population is too much of a threat to Western interests.

The PRC has its own totalitarian and internal problems that are a separate topic. But there's no doubt that China's won the foreign policy long-game that started with Jiang Zemin. Slow and steady wins the race. Don't use military pressure but diplomatic and economic pressure. Don't be ideological like the USSR and provide just enough services to keep people complacent. Control how the world views you and call the bluffs of the UN and US because nobody wants war. Etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US decolonizes in the next few decades aka pulls its military bases and steps aside from world politics.
| LGBTQIA+ | Stop Asian Hate | Market Socialist | Tengerist Shamanist | Pure Land Buddhist |

**I keep forgetting signatures are a thing**
On a scale of "woke" to "nope" I'm a solid "ok fine".

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:41 am

Enjuku wrote:Time for the US to step aside.

Their empire is over. China knows well what imperialism is like; they've been victims of it for the past several hundred years. That's why they've mastered it.

Much like how the US surpassed the British Empire despite them being subservient to Britain, China will surpass the US despite previously being subservient to the West. It's why most of the West tried to keep China divided for so long. The largest country on Earth with the most productive population is too much of a threat to Western interests.

The PRC has its own totalitarian and internal problems that are a separate topic. But there's no doubt that China's won the foreign policy long-game that started with Jiang Zemin. Slow and steady wins the race. Don't use military pressure but diplomatic and economic pressure. Don't be ideological like the USSR and provide just enough services to keep people complacent. Control how the world views you and call the bluffs of the UN and US because nobody wants war. Etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US decolonizes in the next few decades aka pulls its military bases and steps aside from world politics.

And we'll all be completely fucked for it.

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Enjuku
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Enjuku » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:51 am

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:And we'll all be completely fucked for it.

That all depends on who the next superpower is.

US global hegemony only lasted about two decades (~1991 to 2008). During that time, only minor threats like North Korea or Iraq and Iran really flexed at US strength. Yet it was only US culture that was exported around the world, not so much US political ideology. There was an absence of Russian-style communism being promoted, and countries in the US sphere of influence just kinda went one way or the other in how they run their governments and, by extension, treat their people.

In China's case, the countries that try to fill the US's shoes will make all the difference for how the rest of the world takes being in the SInosphere. Will it be a united Europe? Neosocialist like Bolivia or Venezuela? Nationalists like Modhi in India or Bolsenaro in Brazil? We'll see from there what the next political alternative is.
Last edited by Enjuku on Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
| LGBTQIA+ | Stop Asian Hate | Market Socialist | Tengerist Shamanist | Pure Land Buddhist |

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:05 pm

Enjuku wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:And we'll all be completely fucked for it.

That all depends on who the next superpower is.

US global hegemony only lasted about two decades (~1991 to 2008). During that time, only minor threats like North Korea or Iraq and Iran really flexed at US strength. Yet it was only US culture that was exported around the world, not so much US political ideology. There was an absence of Russian-style communism being promoted, and countries in the US sphere of influence just kinda went one way or the other in how they run their governments and, by extension, treat their people.

In China's case, the countries that try to fill the US's shoes will make all the difference for how the rest of the world takes being in the SInosphere. Will it be a united Europe? Neosocialist like Bolivia or Venezuela? Nationalists like Modhi in India or Bolsenaro in Brazil? We'll see from there what the next political alternative is.

The idea that somebody else will take up the American task of opposing Peking is ludicrous. Half these actors you've listed are either already friends with Chairman Xi, is infected by China-kenners in important circles of govt or are neoliberals who still believe free trade will free PRC. So if America goes all in on "America First" everybody else will just kowtow to the new hegemon. A hegemon who's already promised that he'll hunt down and murder even the foreigners saying bad things about his regime.

MT/MagicT

Enjuku
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Enjuku » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:00 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:The idea that somebody else will take up the American task of opposing Peking is ludicrous. Half these actors you've listed are either already friends with Chairman Xi, is infected by China-kenners in important circles of govt or are neoliberals who still believe free trade will free PRC. So if America goes all in on "America First" everybody else will just kowtow to the new hegemon. A hegemon who's already promised that he'll hunt down and murder even the foreigners saying bad things about his regime.

Opposing China and being an alternative to China are two different things.

Also "Peking" and "kowtow" makes it sound like you're thinking of a China from 100 years ago lol

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:06 pm

Enjuku wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:The idea that somebody else will take up the American task of opposing Peking is ludicrous. Half these actors you've listed are either already friends with Chairman Xi, is infected by China-kenners in important circles of govt or are neoliberals who still believe free trade will free PRC. So if America goes all in on "America First" everybody else will just kowtow to the new hegemon. A hegemon who's already promised that he'll hunt down and murder even the foreigners saying bad things about his regime.

Opposing China and being an alternative to China are two different things.

Also "Peking" and "kowtow" makes it sound like you're thinking of a China from 100 years ago lol

What do you think being an alternative to PRC'ian hegemony means? It should be a no brainer that it inevitably leads to opposing the PRC.

MT/MagicT

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General