Q&A: Atlético Domingo's Carlos Sanabria
Today RTD's Robin Farage was lucky to have an interview over webcam with the Dominguan midfielder Carlos Sanabria, who discussed with Robin his thoughts on the Baptism of Fire and looked back on his international career.
RF: Hi Carlos, thanks for joining me today. First of all, how is Græntfjall?
CS: Hello Robin. It's... cold! Very cold. It's winter here so plenty of slow, and the wind can really bite sometimes. Have to be wrapped up warm outside of training.
RF: Sounds like something you may not be used to, having to play a tournament in the deep of winter! Do you think that effects the team much?
CS: Not really, no. I think it's a bit of a lazy stereotype by journalists to think 'oh, this team can't play in this weather because it's not like that at home'. I've seen plenty of cold days and windy ones on the coast, so it's not unfamiliar. The snow is actually really scenic, it's beautiful out here in central Græntfjall.
RF: Good to know that you are enjoying the weather, but how is the team enjoying the tournament? What's the atmosphere like in the camp?
CS: It's pretty good, there is a lot of excitement about the Baptism of Fire. This is only the county's second tournament of this type, so this is still a relatively new and exciting experience for us all. Hard to not feel pumped up!
RF: Has it made it better that the national team is led by your old coach, Camilo Canisbro?
CS: It has, yes. I obviously have a great relationship with the gaffer because of our time at Atléti. So I'm familiar with the way Camilo wants us to set up and how he wants us control the game, what positions he wants me to take up. Things like that. It's the same for Emilio [Campos]. People from other teams were texting us about the gaffer 'what's he like, what's he play?' and we were both crystal clear: five at the back out of possession, three at the back when on it with wingers pushing up. He likes a good centre-forward who can link play, like Julien Babesco. And a midfielder to screen the defensive which is me!
RF: How did you feel about your boss leaving Atlético Domingo? Did you want him to go, would you rather he have stayed?
CS: It wasn't something he explicitly talked to the players about. There was speculation about him getting the job before it actually happened but he was always focused on the games, no time for idle talk. Whether I wanted him to go is a hard question, as I think he'd have had success either way! We were great at Domingo, just won the league. But if any man had to lead the national team out for tournaments like this, had to be him. There have been some bumps on the road but we're definitely making progress. He keeps saying it and I agree: we're building to something special.
RF: You mention bumps on the road, can you identify any specific blips that have occurred in the Canisbro reign?
CS: Losing to Hebitaka in the Wonder Cup was the low point, definitely. I thought that we were a much better team than them so to lose and in the manner that we did... we just didn't turn up. The penalty annoys me even now, because it's so harsh. I was right by Guillaume Boleyn and there was no way he could get his arm out the way, the handball wasn't right. And then we couldn't create anything to score. I wasn't good enough that day. It felt awful, like we had missed out on the top bracket and let everyone down. The manager seemed very deflated at first too. But thankfully we turned it around against Khytonya where I scored!
RF: That does bring us on nicely to the question of high points in the reign - beating Khytonya 4-1?
CS: It was great, and not just because I got a goal. Khytonya were a good team and we swept them away, and the late goal by Julien meant we beat Hebitaka to the top bracket on goal different. It was awesome. Then we followed it up by beating Kohnhead, which was a massive upset. I think they were the top seeds and we had to play a really disciplined, patient game to win. That was the high point and the gaffer was so proud after. We proved that his way could win us the big games.
RF: I'm going to rewind a little, and go back to your goal against Khytonya. You're obviously pleased about it, you've been grinning ever since it was brought up! Can you talk to us about the goal a little? You're not normally so far forward, was that part of the tactics in the game?
CS: Of course I'm happy! I never score! *laughs* Yes, the tactical change meant I was in the position. At the start of that tournament we were lining up in a 3-5-2, and it was me, Adama Keller, and Josep Carpeña in the middle. Pep was the more advanced midfielder, and me and Adama formed what was called a "double pivot". This was to help shield the defence and let us get the ball around more. I was the more defensive one, and Adama was in what you might call the box-to-box role. But as we were failing to score the manager wanted us to be more risky with how we played, so instead it was me and Pep in a two. He was always the more advanced one, he can shoot a lot better than me! But I had a lot more ground to cover and was running way more. Sometimes I had to advance further than normal, to help us have numbers in the centre. The forwards are all marked, and I can see this, so I was biding my time to make a late run as the cutback is made. And as the ball comes to me I just stabbed it with my foot and it went in.
RF: Can we expect many more goals from you in the future?
CS: *laughs* I wouldn't count on it. My focus is on doing a good defensive job so the rest of the team can perform at their best. I like doing to the unappreciated stuff so everyone else has a platform to shine.
You can watch Carlos and the Saint-Dominguan National Team next play tonight live on RTD versus the United Pink States.
Lineups:
Binet
Cotilla
Boleyn
Cojuangco <- Pozo 88'
Pareja
Campos
Sanabria <- Delannoy 84'
Carpeña
Gimenez
Babesco
Palacio <- Jeune 68'
Stevidia: Middleton (51'), Cooper (61'), Adams (79')
Saint-Domingue: Palacio (30'), Gimenez (53')
Venue: Folte Arena, Folte




















Hispinas 1–2 Sett Forest 
North Alezia 2–4 Hispinas
Socialist New Britain 0–2 Hispinas