NATION

PASSWORD

Muslims and Christians, how can we improve relations?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:46 pm

Nakena wrote:
Saiwania wrote:The two religions are too diametrically opposed for there to ever be total peace between the two.

No they aren't. They are two distant brethen from the same source.

Christians are considered people of the Book.

Hasn’t stopped the either the Muslims or the Christians from slaughtering each other.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:47 pm

Resilient Acceleration wrote:Secularization and western values for both sides, to be honest. Teach things like human rights, patriotic values, and tolerance, independent of religion. Encourage religious mixing in schools and basically treat everyone as an equal part of society, a society and identity that belongs to and genuinely accepted by everyone.

Now I'm not religious anymore, but in particular, I saw that the best way to increase tolerance is to have friends outside of your own group. Because of that, I always actively criticized Islam's order of "do not closely befriend infidels" and try to find loopholes or twist the Quranic words in question to produce a different meaning. And had I became the valedictorian of my highschool (which sadly didn't happen), I planned to give a speech endorsing an inter-religious relationship between two of my close friends in front of everyone (of course without naming names) including their parents, pointing out that the Islamist-backed leader of the opposition has a Muslim father and a Christian mother.

This is sound advice.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Resilient Acceleration
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Resilient Acceleration » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:47 pm

Nakena wrote:
Vetalia wrote:
But that proves my point, you're an outsider who doesn't understand the depth of faith and theology in Christianity and Islam. Absolute and unequivocal truth regarding God and His revelation to humanity are essential to the Abrahamic revealed religions...we both believe our faith is absolutely, unequivocally true and there is no room for dissension on the tenets of our respective faiths. I can't walk back my faith in the Resurrection of Christ as the Son of God and the Holy Trinity any more than a Muslim can deny the divine revelation granted to Muhammad or their concept of absolute montheism worshipping the One God.

If we admit that these are fundamental differences between us, we can improve our relations in the areas we do agree.

Very much this.

And this is very true for a lot if not the majority of moslems and the culture that comes with it. Thats why many westerners fail to understand Islam, because they see it simply as something that can be easily "reformed" or secularized. The idea of such absolute belief is alien to them.

But they do not understand how deep running this can be and how much, for this reason, a barrier it can form at some point. Theres a barrier of both understanding and believing in fundamentally different truths and worldviews as well.

And I think that includes many posters here in this thread too.

Doesn't mean it cannot be reformed. My country's secularism is basically dependent on religious orders like Nahdlatul 'Ulama, a mass organization with 90 million members established in 1912 to specifically combat the influence of radical Wahabbi clerics from Arabia. They basically try to reinterpret Islam, which has syncreticized with the local culture anyways as it genuinely spread peacefully here, to conform to national values as much as possible. Which is probably why, facing dire Islamist opposition, the incumbent president quickly appointed the boss of the organization as his vice president, giving him legitimacy to reverse uno card and basically brand Islamist hardliners as "heretic".
Last edited by Resilient Acceleration on Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLDR News | Exclusive: GLOBAL DRONE CRISIS! "Hyper-advanced" Chinese military AI design leaked online by unknown groups, Pres. Yang issues warning of "major outbreak of 3D-printed drone swarm terrorist attacks to US civilians and assets" | Secretary Pasca to expand surveillance on all financial activities through pattern recognition AI to curb the supply chain of QAnon and other domestic terror grassroots

A near-future scenario where transhumanist tech barons and their ruthless capitalism are trying to save the planet, emphasis on "try" | Resilient Accelerationism in a nutshell | OOC

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:49 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:End sectarianism. Our personal beliefs do not change the fact that many times both Muslims and Christians are in the same boat in terms of socioeconomic status.

Stop violence between the working class. No more brother wars.

“Brother wars”

I mainly hear his term from altright white nationalists. Regardless, it’s bullshit. Everyone on earth is human, but only a select few are my family.
Last edited by Adamede on Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:49 pm

Resilient Acceleration wrote:Secularization and western values for both sides, to be honest. Teach things like human rights, patriotic values, and tolerance, independent of religion. Encourage religious mixing in schools and basically treat everyone as an equal part of society, a society and identity that belongs to and genuinely accepted by everyone.

Now I'm not religious anymore, but in particular, I saw that the best way to increase tolerance is to have friends outside of your own group. Because of that, I always actively criticized Islam's order of "do not closely befriend infidels" and try to find loopholes or twist the Quranic words in question to produce a different meaning. And had I became the valedictorian of my highschool (which sadly didn't happen), I planned to give a speech endorsing an inter-religious relationship between two of my close friends in front of everyone (of course without naming names) including their parents, pointing out that the Islamist-backed leader of the opposition has a Muslim father and a Christian mother.
Religious people unfortunately perceive this as a blow against religious freedom.
Last edited by Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum on Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:53 pm

Nakena wrote:
Saiwania wrote:The two religions are too diametrically opposed for there to ever be total peace between the two.

No they aren't. They are two distant brethen from the same source.

Christians are considered people of the Book.

The book which also details how Christians should be treated as inferiors to Muslims.

I don't really give a crap about Islamic patronizing towards other religions.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

San Kalungsod Saludong
Envoy

Founded: Mar 04, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby San Kalungsod Saludong » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:15 pm

Learn some convivencia! Like what happened in Medieval Spain and Sicily.

Muslims should learn Latin or Greek and Christians some Arabic. Let Christians have multiple wives or husbands and let Muslims drink wine and eat pork.
Last edited by San Kalungsod Saludong on Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....☀️....
FACTBOOK

San Kalungsod Saludong: A Sovereign Male Military Order
Nation Ideology: Aescetical, Spiritual, Educational and Militaristic
Personal Politics: Alt Lite, Dark Enlightenment, Conservative Millenial.
Interest: Gym, MMA, Computers, Graphics Design and Finance

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:17 pm

San Kalungsod Saludong wrote:Learn some convivencia! Like what happened in Medieval Spain and Sicily.

Muslims should lear Latin or Greek and Christians some Arabic. Let Christians have multiple wives or husbands and let Muslims drink wine and eat pork.

How the hell is any of that going to push for peaceful coexistence between Muslims and Christians?

Rijk van Afrika
Envoy

Founded: Jun 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rijk van Afrika » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:17 pm

Adamede wrote:
San Kalungsod Saludong wrote:Learn some convivencia! Like what happened in Medieval Spain and Sicily.

Muslims should lear Latin or Greek and Christians some Arabic. Let Christians have multiple wives or husbands and let Muslims drink wine and eat pork.

How the hell is any of that going to push for peaceful coexistence between Muslims and Christians?

I won't because Muslims and Christians cannot coexist peacefully.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:18 pm

Rijk van Afrika wrote:
Adamede wrote:How the hell is any of that going to push for peaceful coexistence between Muslims and Christians?

I doubt that.

San Kalungsod Saludong
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby San Kalungsod Saludong » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:20 pm

Adamede wrote:

It existed before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Convivencia

The Christian French-Norman King of Sicily had Arabs make his Almanac called the Tabula Rogeriana.

In Spain, the Alhambra has statues of animals and humans since even though depictions of creatures are banned in Islam the Emir, Mohammed ben Al-Ahmar employed Christians to build that in the Alhambra.
....☀️....
FACTBOOK

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:21 pm

Rijk van Afrika wrote:
Adamede wrote:How the hell is any of that going to push for peaceful coexistence between Muslims and Christians?

X.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:21 pm

San Kalungsod Saludong wrote:

It existed before.

The Christian French-Norman King of Sicily had Arabs make his Almanac called the Tabula Rogeriana.

In Spain, the Alhambra has statues of animals and humans since even though depictions of creatures are banned in Islam the Emir, Mohammed ben Al-Ahmar employed Christians to build that in the Alhambra.

That’s not what I’m fucking talking about dude.

San Kalungsod Saludong
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby San Kalungsod Saludong » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:22 pm

Adamede wrote:
It existed before.

That’s not what I’m fucking talking about dude.

I'm just saying co-existence is not impossible.
....☀️....
FACTBOOK

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:24 pm

Adamede wrote:That’s not what I’m fucking talking about dude.

And that’s not what I fucking asked.

If Muslims wanted to live like Christians, and Christians wanted to live like Muslims, they’d convert to Islam or Christianity.

Fact is they don’t want to be either one of the groups, so you need to have them behave the same way.

Rijk van Afrika
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Rijk van Afrika » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:25 pm

Adamede wrote:That’s not what I’m fucking talking about dude.

It is. Citation: Europe today

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:27 pm

Rijk van Afrika wrote:

It is. Citation: Europe today

What specifically?

Rijk van Afrika
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Rijk van Afrika » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:29 pm

Adamede wrote:
Rijk van Afrika wrote:It is. Citation: Europe today

What specifically?

The fact that Islamic mosques supported by Saudi extremists are trying to push for sharia law in European lands.

No thank you. I am 1/10th German and I don't want my fatherland to be destroyed like that

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:30 pm

Muslims need to take more visible action to weed out rotten apples instead of seeming to support them.
Christians need to selfreflect and admit they have been quite shitty in the past.

That would be step 1.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:30 pm

Rijk van Afrika wrote:
Adamede wrote:What specifically?

The fact that Islamic mosques supported by Saudi extremists are trying to push for sharia law in European lands.

No thank you. I am 1/10th German and I don't want my fatherland to be destroyed like that

This is fucking ridiculous.

By now there’s only two possibilities for you; either you’re not serious about this, or you are. And frankly I’ve wasted too much of my time either way.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:31 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:Muslims need to take more visible action to weed out rotten apples instead of seeming to support them.
Christians need to selfreflect and admit they have been quite shitty in the past.

That would be step 1.

I don’t think most Christians deny that.

Rijk van Afrika
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Rijk van Afrika » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:32 pm

Adamede wrote:
Rijk van Afrika wrote:The fact that Islamic mosques supported by Saudi extremists are trying to push for sharia law in European lands.

This is fucking ridiculous.

By now there’s only two possibilities for you; either you’re not serious about this, or you are. And frankly I’ve wasted too much of my time either way.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ambassador

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:32 pm

Rijk van Afrika wrote:It is. Citation: Europe today

I don't think you quite get how a logical proof works. Your argument is not that Muslims and Christians don't coexist. Your argument is that it is not possible for Muslims and Christians to coexist. Such a statement cannot be demonstrated with a single counterexample.

There are no spoons on my dinner table, and therefore spoons don't exist. Utter nonsense.

The Alma Mater wrote:Muslims need to take more visible action to weed out rotten apples instead of seeming to support them.

I don't know what the situation is like in the world as a whole, but I know for a fact that in the Netherlands prominent Muslim religious organisers have openly stated on-air that radicalism is a serious problem, and some of their clergy have been injured defending their institutions from physical assaults by radical Islamicists.

What more can you ask for? That's more than what some Reformed Christian churches do about nutcases in their ranks.
Last edited by Plzen on Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:34 pm

Rijk van Afrika wrote:
Adamede wrote:This is fucking ridiculous.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ambassador

That’s not what I’m fucking talking about.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:35 pm

Plzen wrote:

I don't know what the situation is like in the world as a whole, but I know for a fact that in the Netherlands prominent Muslim religious organisers have openly stated on-air that radicalism is a serious problem, and some of their clergy have been injured defending their institutions from physical assaults by radical Islamicists.

What more can you ask for? That's more than what some Reformed Christian churches do about nutcases in their ranks.

What three people say does not matter if thousands are seen to support a different message.
It indeed is ironically reversed in many christian circles - thousands of believers denounce misdeeds while the clergy remains silent; while with muslims it is the clergy speaking up but the masses yelling louder.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General