NATION

PASSWORD

How does NSG feel about railways?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:40 pm

Novus America wrote:But the real problem is how will commuter trains survive when most people are not commuting anymore?

Having had things go back to an approximation of 2016-2019 twice now... trust me, it only has to look remotely like normality and people go right back to normal.

Hell, things aren't even that normal since the rail network's currently crippled here so part of the commute's been bus based... the trains still fill up (the busses I've personally been catching? depends on time of day).
Last edited by Forsher on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Theberstan
Envoy

Founded: Jul 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Theberstan » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:41 pm

Idk, but trains are cool.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:58 pm

Forsher wrote:
Novus America wrote:But the real problem is how will commuter trains survive when most people are not commuting anymore?

Having had things go back to an approximation of 2016-2019 twice now... trust me, it only has to look remotely like normality and people go right back to normal.

Hell, things aren't even that normal since the rail network's currently crippled here so part of the commute's been bus based... the trains still fill up (the busses I've personally been catching? depends on time of day).

I doubt that. Because office space is expensive, companies will not be jumping back to all in person. And people will stay terrified for years. Telework is here to stay, and thus the future of commenting is up for a serious question.
Besides this is not ending any time soon.

NYC will probably take decades to recover from its debacle.

I used to commute by train, but no longer do, but I can still do my job, so there is no real reason to change.

Telework and suburban offices over urban ones are not going away. They are cheaper than the traditional urban office.

Even the future of Japan’s famous trains are in doubt. https://ajot.com/news/no-light-in-the-t ... sses-mount
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:00 pm

Forsher wrote:Turns out the only efficient rapid transport yet invented is... the first one invented. Funny that.

It is not necessarily the most efficient. Sometimes it is, sometimes it is not. Or was. Here it is completely crippled by pandemic panic.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:02 pm

Merrill wrote:For freight? Sure, great idea! For people, not so much. I’ll never give up the freedom of my car, and I resent being taxed to pay for “light rail” boondoggles. The “elites” that think they know better than me how to run my life me sick. Authoritarianism sucks!

How dare the state provide cheap, efficient transportation to the masses, many of whom can't afford cars. No thanks, INGSOC.

What do you mean it's negligible compared to the enormous sums of money we spend on the military and corporate bailouts?
Last edited by Cordel One on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:19 pm

Forsher wrote:Turns out the only efficient rapid transport yet invented is... the first one invented. Funny that.

Running? :unsure:
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:22 pm

Novus America wrote:

It is not necessarily the most efficient. Sometimes it is, sometimes it is not. Or was. Here it is completely crippled by pandemic panic.

I meant for intracity travel.

The standard measure used here is throughput... and nothing gets close.

For intercity or regional travel? No idea. International travel only stacks up in places like Europe where you have lots of countries next to each other. A tunnel between New Zealand and Australia, for example, would have to be 2,154 km if it was to go Sydney to Auckland. The chunnel is 50km long... and only 37.9km are underwater.

Novus America wrote:
Forsher wrote:

I doubt that. Because office space is expensive, companies will not be jumping back to all in person. And people will stay terrified for years. Telework is here to stay, and thus the future of commenting is up for a serious question.

I used to commute by train, but no longer do, but I can still do my job, so there is no real reason to change.

Telework and suburban offices over urban ones are not going away. They are cheaper than the traditional urban office.

Even the future of Japan’s famous trains are in doubt. https://ajot.com/news/no-light-in-the-t ... sses-mount

As I said... once things go back to looking like "normal" people bounce back quickly.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:34 pm

Forsher wrote:
Novus America wrote:

I meant for intracity travel.

The standard measure used here is throughput... and nothing gets close.

For intercity or regional travel? No idea. International travel only stacks up in places like Europe where you have lots of countries next to each other. A tunnel between New Zealand and Australia, for example, would have to be 2,154 km if it was to go Sydney to Auckland. The chunnel is 50km long... and only 37.9km are underwater.

Novus America wrote:

As I said... once things go back to looking like "normal" people bounce back quickly.

And I doubt that. Things change. Many people now teleworking will continue to do so. The fear will last. People will be still sacred, and businesses needing to save money.
The damage done all take decades to repair as well. It will be a new normal.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:38 pm

Novus America wrote:
And I doubt that. Things change. Many people now teleworking will continue to do so. The fear will last. People will be still sacred, and businesses needing to save money.

I repeat... we've done this twice now. I'm not talking hypotheticals... I'm talking lived experience (note, technically, we've only gone back to 60% of prior stats but, again, the train network is currently crippled here).

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:47 pm

Forsher wrote:
Novus America wrote:

I repeat... we've done this twice now. I'm not talking hypotheticals... I'm talking lived experience (note, technically, we've only gone back to 60% of prior stats but, again, the train network is currently crippled here).

Things change. That is simply a fact. The reality today is not the reality 10 years ago. And the reality tomorrow is not going to be what it was 10 years ago. And money talks. Companies are not going to want to buy expensive urban office space again if they do not need as much. The move away from traditional urban offices and the population decline in NYC and LA started BEFORE this, this accelerated problems that already existed.

Things will not be as severe as they are now forever maybe, but they will never be the same again either.
Rail user numbers will go up from what it is now, sure, but probably not back to where it was.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:48 pm

This is what worries me when they talk about adding more rail lines in the USA. Other countries could build this in less than half the time and for a much lower cost as well.

Honolulu Rail Project Struggles to Stay on Track

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... f-schedule

HILO, HAWAII — THE trains may one day run on time, but the construction of the track certainly hasn't.

At $8.3 billion, not including finance charges, the Honolulu rail project is the largest public works project in Hawaii history and, according to a policy analyst at the conservative think tank Cato Institute, "the most expensive per capita of any publicly funded rail project in the modern age."

The City and County of Honolulu agreed to pay 70 percent, with the Federal Transit Administration kicking in 30 percent. Now, the Hawaii Legislature has joined the action, throwing in $2.4 billion in state funding and pushing for more oversight in what had been a local project.

Proponents of a mostly elevated, rapid-rail transit system for Honolulu say it's the best solution for a state that, according to one study, rivals only California as a traffic nightmare.

[ READ: 10 Best States for Infrastructure ]
But that solution, fraught with political pitfalls, delays and budget overruns, has been struggling to stay on track. What was a $4 billion project to be partially usable by 2018 and completed by 2020 has more than doubled in price and won't be completed until, at earliest, 2025.

Commuters who've endured four-hour-plus traffic jams agree that Honolulu needs to do something. With few parallel roadways and plenty of extra-short on-ramps, there aren't many alternatives to the island's three expressways, leading to consistently dismal grades from those who rate traffic.

The most recent study finds Hawaii the second-worst state in the nation for drivers. Another study estimates Honolulu drivers spend 11 percent of their driving time sitting in traffic, amounting to some 37 extra hours of driving time a year.

"Honolulu traffic is now more than an inconvenience, it's a serious public safety hazard," says commuter Danny De Gracia, who writes a column for Honolulu Civil Beat. "Accidents or natural disasters can easily shut down the entire island of Oahu and delay vital government and commercial activities. Whatever solutions have been offered are still years away, and right now, the Aloha State is in nothing less than a traffic state of emergency."

Construction on the 20-mile elevated rail project hasn't helped the traffic woes in the short term. But there will be huge benefits in the long term, says Bill Brennan, spokesman for the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation, the semi-autonomous public transit authority responsible for the planning, construction and expansion of the fixed guideway transit system.

"We hear from people saying, 'I'm not going to take it so it won't benefit me.' But if we take 40,000 cars off the road every weekday, it will benefit drivers," Brennan says. "And there's zero congestion for anybody that's riding (the rail), up to 120,000 each weekday. For the first time on this island, there will be people experiencing zero traffic congestion."

There's still a long way to go before Brennan's dream becomes reality. The project is entering what some see as its most difficult stage, the Honolulu urban core, where relocation of utilities will slow construction.

5 World Cities Earning Bragging Rights

View All 6 Slides
"HART's commitment to the residents of Honolulu is to complete the Project at a cost no greater than $8.165 billion and open for full revenue service by December 2025," says HART CEO Andrew Robbins in a Nov. 19 revised recovery plan sent to the FTA.

That's a lot more and a lot later than first anticipated. The project was estimated at $4 billion when voters approved it on the ballot 10 years ago with a slim, 53 percent positive vote. The Honolulu City Council in 2006 passed a measure assuring constituents the project would be financed strictly with federal funding and a city surcharge on the state general excise tax.

Much has changed since then. The Honolulu City Council in October passed a bill allowing up to $26 million annually, or $214 million total, in local property taxes to be added to the mix.

Bogged down in budget and time overruns, the city came to the state Legislature last year and successfully lobbied for an additional 1 percent tacked onto the statewide transient accommodations tax on hotel rooms and short-term lodging earmarked specifically for rail. The Legislature also reduced a 10 percent administrative charge over the entire proceeds of the tax, freeing up millions more for the rail project.

Many constituents from outer islands such as Maui, the Big Island and Kauai, howled that they shouldn't be forced to contribute to a tax on a project that would never reach their island.

Former Hawaii Island County Council Chairwoman Valerie Poindexter attended the 2017 legislative hearings on the rail tax issue, saying her constituents were upset.

"I shared my concerns of having to raise our property taxes to take care of our county's expenses, yet Oahu is allowed to have a state-ordered bail-out that impacts the neighbor islands and legislators fast-tracked it without any input from taxpayers before they crafted the bill," Poindexter said at the time.

Another of the powerful lawmakers pushing for the rail bailout thinks the city isn't keeping its part of the bailout bargain. House Finance Committee Chairwoman Sylvia Luke, a Democrat representing part of Honolulu's urban core, thinks more legislation will be needed in the upcoming session to force the issue.

"There is a lot of skepticism and doubt in the rail project from the public and I think there should be some kind of oversight," she says.

Adding to the outrage: The city was using some of the rail money to supplement its own operations such as staff time not readily attributable to the rail project, says Senate Ways and Means Committee Chairman Donovan Dela Cruz, a Democrat representing central Oahu. Money was also going for expensive brochures and public relations campaigns that didn't advance the project, he says.

RELATED CONTENT

Is the Commute Worth the Toll?

"We wanted to make sure we're only paying for construction," Dela Cruz says. "The rail money is not to subsidize the city's budget."

Brennan says many of the initial problems were outside HART's control. A recessionary economy from 2009 to 2011 had bids coming in under budget by contractors eager to work. Then the city was sued in federal and state court on environmental, cultural and historical grounds, forcing a 13-month delay.

Once the project resumed, it was in the midst of a construction boom in Honolulu, making it the most expensive city in the nation for construction costs, Brennan says. All the earlier budgets went out the window.

Dela Cruz, who served on the Honolulu City Council from 2003 to 2010, says the city needs to "put meat on the bones" of the rail project by installing infrastructure such as sewer lines near the project's 21 rail stations. That will encourage the transit-oriented development that's part of the city's stated long-term plan that's unrelated to the federal agreement, he says.

Adding infrastructure around the train stations, a process known as "transit-oriented development" could stem urban sprawl, create walkable communities and allow more affordable housing to resolve the island's housing crisis and protect farmland from development pressure, Dela Cruz says.

"It's not just a transportation tool, it's a planning tool," he says. "If it's going to be a train by itself, then it probably is way too expensive ... but if it's going to be smart growth, this is our opportunity to provide that."
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:48 pm

Cordel One wrote:
Merrill wrote:For freight? Sure, great idea! For people, not so much. I’ll never give up the freedom of my car, and I resent being taxed to pay for “light rail” boondoggles. The “elites” that think they know better than me how to run my life me sick. Authoritarianism sucks!

How dare the state provide cheap, efficient transportation to the masses, many of whom can't afford cars. No thanks, INGSOC.

What do you mean it's negligible compared to the enormous sums of money we spend on the military and corporate bailouts?

The military protects Life Liberty and Property. Literally the only purpose of government. Corporate bailouts are wrong. The State should not pick winners and losers.
"There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety." ~ Thomas Jefferson

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:49 pm

I like them. Road them in the UK and Italy. Road the bullet in France.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:53 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:I like them. Road them in the UK and Italy. Road the bullet in France.

Yes yes we are turning those trains into roads.
The bullet train will be a highway for sports cars soon enough.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Cordel One
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:58 pm

Merrill wrote:
Cordel One wrote:How dare the state provide cheap, efficient transportation to the masses, many of whom can't afford cars. No thanks, INGSOC.

The military protects Life Liberty and Property. Literally the only purpose of government. Corporate bailouts are wrong. The State should not pick winners and losers.

The military hasn't protected anything major since WW2. All wars since then have been illegitimate, and as for life, liberty, and property, well...

Wait, what does this have to do with railways?
Last edited by Cordel One on Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:00 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:I like them. Road them in the UK and Italy. Road the bullet in France.

Yes yes we are turning those trains into roads.
The bullet train will be a highway for sports cars soon enough.

Damn it. Well. You have always know me to be a bad writer.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:27 pm

Cordel One wrote:
Merrill wrote:

The military hasn't protected anything major since WW2. All wars since then have been illegitimate, and as for life, liberty, and property, well...

I don’t know, what does it have to do with railroads? You’re the one that brought it up in your reply.

Might have something to do with the fact that there hasn’t been a properly declared war since WW2. Every use of the military since has been in violation of the US Constitution. The CIA is not the military.

There is an argument that the CIA is not Constitutional, and its functions should be split between the military and the State department.

As for hitting “civilian targets”, that happens in all wars. Mistakes happening is one of the reasons why declaring War should be so carefully decided.
Last edited by Merrill on Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no justification for taking away individuals' freedom in the guise of public safety." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Cordel One
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:39 pm

Merrill wrote:
Cordel One wrote:The military hasn't protected anything major since WW2. All wars since then have been illegitimate, and as for life, liberty, and property, well...

I don’t know, what does it have to do with railroads? You’re the one that brought it up in your reply.

Might have something to do with the fact that there hasn’t been a properly declared war since WW2. Every use of the military since has been in violation of the US Constitution. The CIA is not the military.

There is an argument that the CIA is not Constitutional, and its functions should be split between the military and the State department.

As for hitting “civilian targets”, that happens in all wars. Mistakes happening is one of the reasons why declaring War should be so carefully decided.

Exactly, so why are you still in support of its rediculously high budget but not that of public transportation and infrastructure?
Last edited by Cordel One on Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Thestral Directorate
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Thestral Directorate » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:42 pm

Roads aren't exactly free either and most of the highway system we have in the US today was built thanks to the Interstate Highway Act of 1956. You're not getting any freedom when your motor transportation is dependent on the government and auto companies...and you still have to pay taxes for using the roads. And even if you don't want to get out of your car, getting new public transportation whether it's a bus, light rail, or metro train is still a net benefit to all because those within those riders there are at least a few thousand people who would have been on the road who are instead taking the train or bus for their commute.

Merrill
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Merrill » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:46 pm

Cordel One wrote:
Merrill wrote:

Exactly, so why are you still in support of its rediculously high budget but not that of public transportation and infrastructure?

The military budget could certainly be smaller, more efficient. However, the government should not be involved in “Public Transportation.”

Disgraces
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:49 pm

They're... good? What do you want me to say about trains?
The nation that represents my views is Tidaton

Broader Confederate States
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Broader Confederate States » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:59 pm

Merrill wrote:
Cordel One wrote:The military hasn't protected anything major since WW2. All wars since then have been illegitimate, and as for life, liberty, and property, well...

i literally picked the topic of trains specifically to have a topic that wouldn't devolve into a political slapfight and here we are. stay classy nsg.
Last edited by Broader Confederate States on Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
President: Phillip J. Morris | Location: Southern U.S., plus Puerto Rico and Alaska | Government Type: Confederation | Year: 2066 | Technology: Oil Crisis MT+ | OOC
haha аляска | Rewrite un-canned, expect it before 2021 March September 2030 maybe. | i honestly forgot basically every interaction i've had on these forums from before like july | We're proud to present...
Witty unattributed quote I'm using to pretend I'm more intelligent than I really am.
--proud to be anti-federalist--

Cordel One
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:16 pm

Broader Confederate States wrote:
Merrill wrote:

i literally picked the topic of trains specifically to have a topic that wouldn't devolve into a political slapfight and here we are. stay classy nsg.

Everything is political and will result in political arguments here, but I'll stop so people can enjoy the train discussion in peace.
Last edited by Cordel One on Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:56 pm

Hmm, this topic made my antivirus whine.
*backs away slowly*
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General