NATION

PASSWORD

Cup of Harmony Seventy-Eight: Everything Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

South Newlandia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby South Newlandia » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:07 pm

YESSSSSS!
ELEPHANTS QUALIFY

Somehow, some way, the Elephants have done it. Coming from three consecutive defeats, in a must-win situation against HUElavia, the South Newlandian team came away with a 1-0 win over the second-highest ranked team in the tournament. Before we take a look at that game, we will talk about the Round of 32. The Elephants are going to face the fourth-overall seed in Sylestone. The game between South Newlandia and Mercedini will be played in Cleorough, in the all-new 80.000 seater Carson Stadium. Mercedini, having won the competitive group A in Sylestone, will be the natural favourite in this match-up, of course. On the other hand, the Elephants aren’t just going to hand the win over; the team will be fighting for every ball.
Out of the 32 teams that reached the knockouts, 30 have scored eight goals or more in their six games. The national team of Taeshan, well renowned for a very defensive style of play, have scored five. In fact, even if we include the eliminated teams, none of them scored less than four. The Elephants scored just four goals, the least in the tournament; and secured the advancement into the next round, somehow. Why? Because of three 1-0 wins, that’s why. South Newlandia is the king of efficiency. Also, they only got scored on four times, for a combined eight goals being scored in games with South Newlandia, the lowest of any team in the tournament. Saltstead (4-5) and Taeshan (5-5) are the teams that came close to the South Newlandians, but no team was more boring than the Elephants were. On the other hand, only four goals against is a mark no other team in the CoH has managed to beat. One other team, group mates Astograth, also conceded only four goals (while scoring ten), but the Elephants seemingly have the best defense in the tournament. That’s what they will have to rely on against Mercedini, a team that scored a spectacular sixteen goals in their six games, only surpassed by five teams.

South Newlandia 1-0 HUElavia

No one predicted them to win. The media from South Newlandia didn’t, the media from Mercedini didn’t, and every single reasonable person didn’t. The Elephants didn’t care, and just won anyway.
Starting early, the South Newlandian team was under pressure. The HUElavian offense proved to be dangerous, and forced Trischuk to make quite a few strong early saves. In the 17th minute, Marc Navarro had one of the best chances of the game when he hit the crossbar from ten metres away. Trischuk wouldn’t have been even remotely close to saving that, but the game remained tied. On the other side, the Elephants were able to pierce the HUElavian defense with some well thought out counter attacks, with Bjorn Cohen proving that he is a decent striker, and Brandon Irving having a beautiful volley in the 34th minute, followed by an equally brilliant save for Jose Antionio Lobato in the HUElavian goal. The game went to half-time tied without goals, something we saw before in South Newlandian games. Wolverine decided against substitutes for the half, a decision he wouldn’t regret as the Elephants surprisingly went ahead in the 57th minute. Patrick McMora had successfully fought for a corner against the Left Back for HUElavia, and that very corner, unexpectedly brought in by Finnley Wallis, went right to Brandon Irving. The South Newlandian star striker wasted no time, and scored against a well-reacting Lobato who still managed to get his finger-tips on the ball, but he couldn’t stop the Elephants from getting the lead. The last 30 minutes were more of the same, with HUElavia controlling most of the game and South Newlandia fighting back with the occasional counter attack. In the end, the defense around Gurero, Anderson and Wright held, and Trischuk got one final super important save in in injury time against a precise shot from a distance, fired off by Samuel Sissoko. Trischuk just managed to get the ball over the goal, and soon after, the game was over. Because of the Elephants getting this win, Sulsuland couldn’t use their win over Indusse, and fell just short of the knockout stages.

For the game against Mercedini, Wolverine has decided to field the exact same eleven players as against HUElavia, hoping for a similar game (and, if possible, ending) again.
Trischuk (C) – Roy, Anderson, Gurero, Wright – Kaperrama, Green, McMora, Wallis – Irving, Cohen

Can the Elephants work even more magic? We will find out soon. In the possible Round of 16, strong teams loom as well, with Flavovespia and Tioguldos.

Ethane
Minister

Founded: Sep 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:27 pm

The Sylestone Team vs Ethane?

Brick Wall: I'm not quite sure how a brick wall would be good at being in goal. Can they move? *checks notes*. Somehow, this brick wall can move. The best tactic probably isn't to try to shoot through the brick wall. That won't work. Someone's going to need to take a demolition ball on to the field, and smash it. I'm sure that can be pre-arranged.

Ironing Board: A tripping hazard. We just have to hope it doesn't have a cord stretching right across the field. The iron will be dangerous - I've been burnt by an iron before, and that was just using it myself. How will the players cope?

Dishwasher: Could the dishwasher just put the ball inside itself and run into our goal? Is that legal? Other players could do this too. You know what, can I just- my kitchen isn't looking so tidy right now. Would it be possible to wash my dishes during the game. It'll only take a couple of minutes to load up the machine. Slightly concerned they'd break, but I'm sure the Dishwasher can cope. What happens if it needs a repair though?

Tumble Dryer: You spin me right round, baby
Right round, like a record, baby
Right round round round.

Washing Machine: I thought Washing Machine would be back home looking after the children it had with Tumble Dryer. Maybe Washing Machine doesn't care about the children anymore following the divorce. After all, they spent like 3 hours inside, and then moved straight to the Tumble Dryer. The divorce was obvious though, as was the way the children now live with Tumble Dryer. They just were constantly against each other - Washing Machine would get them wet, and Tumble Dryer would immediately dry them again. Personal differences if ever I saw them.

Sofa: Is this - is this not for the audience. I'm a VIP. I need an important seat. Surely the ability to get a player to sit on them isn't that helpful anyway because that eliminates one of the best defenders on the team. I do feel rather sleepy though - is it one of those sofas that converts into a bed as well?

Fridge:: Is this where the beer is kept?

Bar Stool: I guess this is where I sit to drink the beer from the fridge? Having 4 legs must be super-effective though.

Drawer: They provide the kit for the appliances? I am generally curious - how do we identify which team they play for. I'm curious though; how do they wear their team kit? The team kit is clearly human-shaped. I don't see them being able to fit that over a tumble dryer or a brick wall. A bar stool maybe though. And I guess the kit gets washed by the washing machine and then dried by the tumble dryer.

Stove: Dinner time, or at least it smells like it. Oh no, sorry, that's just the humans burnt alive in the explosion caused by Stove in Ethane's biggest stadium last week. Almost as if that's what happens when the air you're making hot contains ethane - with bits of Ethane in various parts of the stadium. There's a reason we're called Ethane #science.

Mixer: I'm slightly concerned about that wire - it seems like a safety hazard. But what about the blade as well. That could kill someone. I'm sure his father would be proud though if he did kill an Ethani player. Wait! What a pun. His father must be big mix, and this is Little Mix! I'm so funny.

The Reserves

Table: Why is the Table playing in goal? Surely having 4 legs would make Table the perfect player in midfield for control?

Spiderwebs: Is this even an appliance?

Toilet: I'm desperate. Do you mind?

Staff

Toilet: It's apt that the manager's name is 'Toilet', considering we're going to be shi***** all over their team when we play them. See you when we're up 20-1; I'll have a special gift for you.

Toaster: I'll make a toast to Sylestone's defeat. Pop in some bread for toast, then go to bed. Relaxed. Knowing we are only facing a group of appliances.

The Ethane Team vs Sylestone

Manager: Joren Kreuger
Defence: Joss Araújo, Antonio Atanga, Max Wilburn-Mason, Elliott Collins, Toby Turner
Midfield: Alex Woodrow, Alexander Kjaer, Jaheim Zavala, Kyle Ford
Offence: Josh Montoya, Declan Smith
Subs: Scott Burgess, Andy Obrien, Iwan Roberts, Leyton Underwood, Sebastien Ryalls, Markus Capradossi, Donovan Velázquez
Last edited by Ethane on Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esportivan and Proud.
<drawk> If the entirety of the nation of Ethane was covered in a single cubic foot of Ethane on its surface, lighting it all on fire would cause a 5.44 megaton blast.
Best WorldVision Finish: 2nd. Best World Cup Finish: Quarter-Finals. Best KPB Rank: 8th. Best WBC Finish: 1st.

Mercedini
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Mercedini » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:45 pm

Mercedinian Premier League
The Loooooooong & The Short Of It

@ Blue Strike Arena - Zoloroni, Mercedini

Good evening everyone and welcome back to the Mercedini, we know that the Cup of Harmony is at the top everyone's billing currently, and with the knockout stages commencing shortly., it's only going to turn up the head. Alas, we thought we would take a step back from the Cup of Harmony and jump into the big wide world of domestic football. The Mercedinian Premier League results have finally been ratified, just in time for the draw of the IFCF qualification rounds. For those teams lucky enough to nab an international spot, it is a time of great expectancy, not only for their team to play against the multiverse's best, but also to plant their names in the sands of domestic football. Mercedinian sides have gotten to the Champion's League Round of 16 and the Challenger's Cup Quarterfinals, with recent results good enough to keep the MPL within the realms of the second Champion's League spot. Who managed to earn those berths, let's see as we round up the MPL for last season.

Mercedinian Premier League: Plastic's Delight
It went down to the final day, with the title assured of a trip back to Zoloroni, but it was the unannounced Blue Strike Zoloroni who topped everyone to claim their first ever MPL title. The team, owned by Mercedinian energy drink manufacturer Blue Strike, have gone close on numerous occasion in the past, before eventually falling away to safely earn an international spot. However, with five matches to go, it was their title to lose with their two point buffer. A big drop in form on the home straight meant domestic juggernaut Zoloroni City was able to briefly steal the lead from their capital rivals, but Blue Strike weren't to be denied again, as they sealed the title with a final day 1-0 win over newly promoted and surprise package Ali Mercedes.

1 Blue Strike Zoloroni         30   18   7   5    52   31  +21    61
2 Zoloroni City 30 17 7 6 66 46 +20 58

3 Langtree United 30 16 8 6 70 49 +21 56
4 Elspachia 30 15 7 8 66 44 +22 52
5 Ali Mercedes Carassai 30 14 8 8 50 41 +9 50

This will be the second time that Blue Strike will grace the IFCF Champion's League, as they had a brief spell in the non-champion's path. There, they overcame stiff opposition in Mriin's Maal Angels, before ultimately falling in the Third Qualifying Round with a comprehensive loss to Vilita's Turoki Tide, losing by a margin of six goals to two over the two legs. On paper, it will mean an easier draw as they are placed in with the general champion's of leagues up and down the IFCF rankings, plus, it means they will avoid teams from the other major leagues, at least until the later rounds.

For Zoloroni City, it means a second consecutive runner's up medal in the league, but they will return to the Champion's League for another season after narrowly missing out on the Champion's League Group Stage. The Cityzens were a single round away from CL Group Stage football, before losing to Valanora in the Playoffs, and then capitulating to Elektriklestirmespor from Timuria in the Challenger's Cup Qualifying Round to cap of a miserable end to the IFCF season for City.

It was a similar story for Langtree United, who advanced through one fewer round to make it to the CL Playoffs, but they fell to Pacific City (95X) to relegate them down to the Challenger's Cup. Their route through the Champions' Path meant they had safe passage through to the CC Group Stage, which they promptly won, winning their opening four games before coasting through with a rotated roster. Their run was looking good, but it was stopped short at the Round of 32 by Savojarna's Lokomotive Jarnstad thanks to a pitiful away leg. Langtree will enter the IFCF as Mercedini's highest Challenger's Cup seed, following their third place finish in the league.

Rounding out the IFCF spots are the ever consistent Elspachia, and the major surprise of this season, Ali Mercedes Carassai. Going out early in the IFCF qualifying rounds paid dividends for the team from Elspa, as they could focus on their domestic league and cup runs with tunnel vision, which certainly benefited the depleted squad, returning them to international football for another season, and keeping them competitive in the transfer market thanks to their consistent appearances at international tournaments. Ali Mercedes Carssai, literally "Wings of the Mercedinians - Carassai", was a little known team less than three seasons ago, but consistent investment and savvy purchases from the family-run club has meant the club has been promoted three times in a row before earning a very respectable fifth place in the nation's top tier. Carassai is home to the nation's only spaceport, which is why the club is so aptly named. They will host IFCF football for the very first time, and it is hopes that the club can punch above it's weight to record a historic performance next season.

National League 1          Pld    W   D   L    GF   GA   GD   Pts 
1 Zoloroni Park 38 24 8 6 65 26 +39 80
2 AFC Langtree 38 18 8 12 42 30 +12 62

3 Alton Swifts 38 18 7 13 51 36 +15 61
4 Cannock Chase 38 16 12 10 41 24 +17 60

MPL Promotion-Relegation Playoff
Alton Swifts 0-0 Plympton Town
Plympton Town 0-3 Alton Swifts

Alton Swifts win 3-0 on aggregate and are promoted to the MPL. Plympton Town are relegated to NL1

In Mercedini's second tier, we saw three teams promoted to the MPL for the second season in a row with Zoloroni Park and AFC Langtree promoted directly to the top tier, before Alton Swifts challenged the MPL establishment by taking out Plympton Town in their own back yard to win the pro-rel playoff and secure the sixteenth and final MPL spot next season.

After missing out on promotion last season, it was Zoloroni Park who put last season's cup money to good use to win the league, get promoted and become dark horse to do well next season. Their eighty point haul in the season was one of the biggest in recent memory, turning heads from the league above, as yet another challenger presents itself to those teams who are perpetually found towards the rear end of the table. They have done will in the MFA cup as of recent years with a few upsets along the way, the financial boost from the cup, the league and the SBCC could propel them to heavy heights as the money flows freely around the capital.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again. AFC Langtree were confirmed as the second team to get promoted from National League 1 on the final day, and they have learnt how to bounce back from relegation the hard way. They have been away from the nation's top tier for a total of six seasons, but they give restore Langtree's two-club city status in the MPL (since Ignavi Borough were relegated two seasons ago).

All three will get to have a crack at the Series B Champion's Cup next season, with no Mercedinian club making it past the Group Stages since Mercedini joined the circuit as a UICA association. With three representatives and a smaller circuit compared to the CL and CC, it is hoped that sooner or later, someone will make the breakthrough and have a deep run at the tournament.

It was thought that the MFA would submit a host bid for one of the upcoming tournament finals, with the Zoloroni Sports City Stadium regularly rumoured to be one of the multiverse's stadiums in the running to be selected. With the qualifying draw expected imminently, time is running out if the MFA wants to submit a bid for the upcoming competitions, as no big has been formally received as of writing. Domestic football has something which Mercedini has been eager to dabble in, and hosting one of the tournament final's would go a long way to improving Mercedini's reputation in the sport, and also improving the reputation of the IFCF within the national psyche. Let's hope for some decent result, Andiamo!
.................................................................................................................................
Novapax Founder • Host Portfolio • Trophy Cabinet
World CupBest: Group Stage ('77, '81, '82, '83)
Cup of HarmonyBest: Champion ('72)
U21 World CupBest: 3rd Place ('43)
U18 World CupBest: Champion ('4)
Independents CupBest: Champion ('5)
WC of HockeyBest: 2nd Place ('37)
WJHCBest: Champion ('13)
WorldVision
Best Placing: 1st (Lipa '72)Most Points: 108 pts (Lipa '72)

World Hit Festival
Best Placing: 1st ('34 & '36)Most Pts: 34 pts (Mousiki '31)
Junior World Hit Festival
Best Placing: 3rd ('3, '4 & '5)Most Pts: 26 pts (Tushlark '5)
Mercedini in WVSC & WHFs

Sargossa
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 08, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Sargossa » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:56 pm

SSM | Sargossan State Media

International Edition - Sport

Corsairs Sail Through

Blanco Borrayo reports;

Some had questioned the Sargossa coach Brian McAllister’s decision to shuffle his pack ahead of the group decider against Flavovespia. Certainly, the Corsairs were already assured of qualification, but a win would also ensure (supposedly) a favourable draw in the first knockout round. The coach’s relative inexperience probably helped fuel the quiet criticisms too, despite an unbeaten start to his tenure in charge. But the changes worked magnificently in what was the side’s toughest test so far, giving McAllister something of a selection problem in the process. Albeit a happy problem to have.

César Goyoso may not have been on the pitch but his position as first choice penalty taker probably remains safe after Alonzo Bienvenida, clumsily upended by David Blythe inside the penalty area, wasted an early opportunity to put Sargossa in front. Flavovespia keeper Aarif Muhammad easily the equal of his weak spot kick. Mateo Manzanares’ introduction into the starting eleven had been greeted with much anticipation by both the press corps and the fans after a number of successful cameos from the bench during the World Cup qualification campaign. Marcos Águila was another the fans had been clamouring to see, seen as potentially the long term replacement for the aging Goyoso. And fittingly the two young guns combined for the Sargossan opener, Águila sliding the ball through for Manzanares who held off his marker before finishing with a calmness that belied his age.

Only the winless Gothanita Isles in Group C have conceded more than Sargossa. McAllister’s attacking style has seen plenty of goals but his favoured high defensive line has proven to be a high risk strategy. Only bottom nation Huayramarca had failed to pierce the Corsairs’ back line in this tournament and Flavovespia weren’t about to join them. A breakdown in possession, and quick pass forward and suddenly Christopher Ace had acres of space to run into. He took it on himself, forcing the save from Alejandro Martínez. But the Sportivo Soluca stopper could only watch on helplessly as the rebound fell to Steven Hall who rolled in the equaliser.

Player of the Match: Mateo Manzanares
Shots: 5
On Target: 3
Goals: 2
All square at the interval but as the second half went on Sargossa grew into the ascendancy. The side were spraying the ball around with confidence, a good indicator that the new regime was having a positive effect. Águila picked up the ball and ran forward. Options jostled for space out on either flanks. Those options dragged markers with them, giving the El Nacional midfielder a clear sight on goal. Despite the distance he let fly. Aarif Muhammad is a tremendous prospect but, as told by those who watch him most often, he is capable of throwing in a gaff. Unfortunately, he did just that. Águila’s effort was cleanly struck but it shouldn’t have beaten the Stanmorn keeper, not at his near post. That unfortunate mistake seemed to drain some of the life out of the opposition and with fifteen minutes to go Manzanares was given the freedom of Avondale to slot in the third after a poorly cleared freekick. Wrapping up the victory and securing first place in Group C. A position that would give Sargossa a favourable draw in the last thirty-two. Or so we thought.

Group C                  Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Sargossa 6 5 1 0 17 10 +7 16
2 Flavovespia 6 4 1 1 10 5 +5 13
3 Abanhfleft 6 3 1 2 14 12 +2 10
4 Megistos 6 2 1 3 10 12 −2 7

5 Mattijana 6 2 0 4 10 13 −3 6
6 Huayramarca 6 1 1 4 7 11 −4 4
7 The Gothanita Isles 6 0 3 3 7 12 −5 3

The organisers decision the re-seed the draw after the group stage has certainly lit a fire under the tournament. Sargossa are now ranked third, behind Xanneria and Sarzonia, which sees them pitched against the thirtieth ranked side. That side just happens to be another that emerged from Pot 1, Poafmersia. They may have disappointed in Group G but they are still a top fifty nation and represent a real danger. Ironically, losing to Flavovespia would have resulted with a far more favourable draw against Tioguldós. But neither of this fixtures are capturing the imagination like the last thirty two’s glamour tie. Rushmori rivals Taeshan came into this competition as the top seeds and favourites but the Purple Knights have been awful. Winless after five rounds, they scrapped into the knock out stage thanks to a final day victory over Oberour Ar Moro and the fact that a generous four sides advance from the group. They will now take on Sarzonia in a clash more accustomed to the World Cup itself. The in form Stars are looking to send retiring coach Kevin Connelly out on a high. So, in the most Taeshani of moves, expect the Purple Knights to steal it 1 – 0. Either way, a big name is heading home early.

Predicted Line-Up vs Poafmersia:
Last edited by Sargossa on Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champions: Cup of Harmony 41 / Di Bradini Cup 13 / Copa Rushmori V / Copa Rushmori XIV / Copa Rushmori XX / Copa Rushmori XXXVIII / Copa Rushmori XXXIX
Sargossa at the Olympics

" . . . those dictatorship-loving thundertwats . . ."

Vdara
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 10, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Vdara » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:51 pm

Risin’ Like A Kraken

OOC: Since Sylestone is yet to read my previous RPs (I think so, anyway), I’m going to put on record that “scallywags” means “players” and that “Cap’n Peg-Leg” is the name of the manager. He still uses the same name from the roster, but for the sake of this whole pirate thing, that be his name. Yarr!

Th’ seas be mighty calm since th’ sudden scuttlin’ o’ th’ S.S. Doom ‘N’ Gloom. Th’ scallywags an’ Cap’n Peg-Leg remained lost at sea, as did th’ ship. Tae put it simply, people be thinkin’ that they all be sent tae Davy Jones’ Locker, never tae be seen again. It be a comfortin’ thought, yarr? However, there be stormy seas one night, an’ somethin’ seemed tae be movin’ beneath th’ briney deep...

Somewhere at sea, far from shore

Th’ weather be awful at sea. Usually, there be nothin’ too interestin’ when you be this far away from shore. Not this time, though. There be a green glow from beneath th’ briney deep, an’ it seemed tae be gettin’ brighter by th’ second. At one point, th’ brightness be almost blindin’, an’ there be noises comin’ from beneath. These not be sea noises, however.

They be th’ noises o’ grog-filled scallywags, an’ this only be meanin’ one thing...

Th’ S.S. Doom ‘N’ Gloom be risin’ from th’ depths!

At first, it be just a translucent green bowsprit that emerged from th’ sea. Then it be the flyin’ jib, then th’ jib itself. Once around half o’ th’ ship had emerged, it tipped forward, revealin’ that th’ entire ship now be green an’ see-through. The people on th’ ship now be green an’ see-through as well, but they not be too jolly about it.

Th’ S.S. Doom ‘N’ Gloom after rising from th’ fuckin’ sea

Cap’n Peg-Leg: ”Ahoy, lads! Welcome back tae a place I be callin “above th’ briney deep”. Now, ye may be wonderin’ why we all be green, an’ th’ answer tae that question be... we be ghosts.”

Th’ scallywags let out a collective “harrumph”, with a few “bollocks” mixed in as well.

Cap’n Peg-Leg: ”I know, I know. I not be too jolly about it mesel’. However, it seems like this be th’ only way we can come back an’ actually make it tae th’ knockouts o’ this tournament.”

Tryfon Vlahiades: ”An’ why that be, Cap’n?”

Cap’n Peg-Leg: ”Because we scuttled th’ ship, ye landlubber! Ye be knowin’ this, ye bilge-drinkin’ buccaneer!”

Vlahiades: ”Arrrr, yeah, I be forgettin’ that.”

Cap’n Peg-Leg: ”Anyhow, we be havin’ a skirmish wi’ Eastnorth Southwest, or Eastwest Northsouth, or... arrr, me compass be broken. Our opponent be... Southwest Eastnorth, that’s th’ name!”

Chirstoforos Lazelis: ”Cap’n, I have tae ask... which outpost did ye steal yer compass from?”

Cap’n Peg-Leg: ”Arrr, I bought it on sail.”

Lazelis: ”Makes sense tae me.”

Cap’n Peg-Leg: ”Now, without further interruption... LET’S DESTROY THOSE LANDLUBBERS, YARRRRRRRRRR!”

There be a collective “YARRRRRR!” after th’ Cap’n said that. While th’ scallywags may be ghosts, they still have plenty spirit within them. So much so that they obliterated Southwest Eastnorth decisively, by a score o’ 4 goals tae 2. Wi’ that victory, th’ S.S. Doom ‘N’ Gloom had sealed itself a trip tae Sylestone, an’ th’ ghostly wails o’ th’ scallywags an’ Cap’n Peg-Leg truly showed their jolliness.

As it turns out, th’ ghost ship be comin’ up against th’ formidable opponent that be TJUN-ia. Those lucky landlubbers finished SECOND in their group, but they failed to make th’ World Cup proper - and now they be facin’ a translucent green ship full o’ drunken ghost pirates in the Cup o’ Harmony. What could be better?

Th’ S.S. Doom ‘N’ Gloom, on its way tae face TJUN-ia

Bonus: What did th’ pirate say when he became an octogenarian?
Answer:
Aye matey years old!

Ye can laugh now, it not be that bad a joke!
Come for the weather. Stay for the fitba. Leave for somewhere prettier.

Tioguldos
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tioguldos » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:34 pm

TROUBLE BACK HOME
Part 3: The calm before the storm

Part 1: Introduction
Part 2: Tilde

Barkenuse: It's a city located north of Tioguldós. Tilde Lomifal grew up in a town near Barkenuse.

Bonbokh u Piche: It is another People's Republic that became independent from Orkasduso during the Tiog Revolution. It is located northwest of Tioguldós and west of Orkasduso.

Borosó Corridor: Located to the south of Orkasduso, on the border with Tioguldós, it constitutes the only overland crossing that connects the most significant city of Orkasduso with the rest of the territory, since to the north is the Borosó River.

BR: Before the Revolution.

Giasekh Ourakh: The capital and largest city in Orkasduso, located on the border with Tioguldós. It's the only Orkasdusian land not claimed by Tioguldós.

Lóroda: It's a city in North Tioguldós, still controlled by Orkasduso. It has the bridge over the Borosó River closest to Tioguldós.

Muko Tiog: It's the Tiog professional football league.

Orkasduso: It is the nation from which Tioguldós became independent. It still controls the north of the territory, claimed by the People's Republic.

PLA: The People's Liberation Army of Tioguldós. It was created a few years before the start of the Revolution.

Relorue: A big city in North Tioguldós, still controlled by Orkasduso. It's located on the western border of the Borosó River.

Returning to Barkenuse after the last Red Army game against Reçueçn, Tilde was preparing to do pre-season training with Pmig Enako. His goal was to be able to continue playing football on his team for a few more years. Then, upon retirement, study at the university to dedicate the rest of his days as a teacher. He did not forget his commitment to the Militia nor the political instability in the north, but he tried not to think about it. He never stopped training, neither physically nor with the rifle. But almost seven years had passed since his last participation in the guerrilla. Thinking of a peaceful future was much better to keep calm. He always told himself that if the armed conflict returned, the Ground Forces could take care of it themselves. Perhaps he knew it was not true, but still, he repeated it incessantly.

A few days before Tilde rejoined Pmig Enako's squad, terrible news took all of Tioguldós by surprise. An armed uprising in Relorue threatened the stability of the area. Tilde was devastated but faced what he deep down knew was coming. That same afternoon, the PLA authorities contacted him. He was to report to Barkenuse military barracks to travel to the vicinity of Relorue.

"Hey, comrade. Tilde, right? Here, have some water."

"Yeah, that's me. Thanks."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Oso."

Six thousand militiapersons will travel immediately to fight. Tilde is part of the 22nd Regiment of Militia from Barkenuse and Oso of the 45th Regiment of Militia from Tisús. The PLA has given instructions to destabilize the local security forces until they can bring a PLA artillery division to the scene.

"Nice to meet you too. Have you ever participated in a raid?"

"Not really. Only in drills."

"I can give you some advice. I fought in-"

"Oh, I know everything about you. I'm a 'Pinks' fan! You liberated the south. You're a national hero already!"

"Hm. Thanks. I'm no hero. You just know me because I played football."

Tilde was never self-centered. He knows that playing football does not make him worthy of idolatry. And he'd prefer being treated like anyone else.

"Ok... Sorry. They will outnumber us at Relorue. How is it like?"

"To be honest, it's scary. When you have to leave your camp and go into the city, you never know if they know of your position. They have drones, planes, helicopters. We're just a bunch of dudes with our rifles."

"What about the guerrillas? They have many revolutionaries already within the city."

"I am not aware of their situation. The High Command has not yet given us clear instructions. Once we communicate directly with them, we will have a clearer picture."

Relorue is a strategic point of great value. If Tioguldós manages to take Lóroda, the next bridge that crosses the Borosó River is more than 700 km to the north. The objective of the PLA is to dominate the surrounding areas to protect the guerrillas within the city. Unlike the Orkasdusian Armed Forces, both the PLA Militia and the local guerrillas use light weapons and large numbers of soldiers. This allows them to sneak around and take advantage of small skirmishes and raids.

Kohnhead
Diplomat

Founded: May 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kohnhead » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:40 pm

The Brains smash the Orion Islands, now on to HUElavia

We knew the circumstances heading into the match, win and we are in to the round of 32 drop points against pointless Orion Islands and we are out of the tournament. It was never in question as The Brains dominated for 90 minutes to win 4-1 and to silence the doubters for now at least. Michael White would have had questions to answer had we not won this game but the players showed out for White. This game will be remembered as the Charles Laker game as we continue to see his ascent to stardom, Laker scored a hat trick winning player of the match honors as he dominated the midfield of the Orion Islands all match long.

Laker as previously noted got us on the board first in the 17th minute. Rallyton took a pretty deep free kick which was around chest level so Laker lowered his head to it curving it into the woodwork where it bounced into the back of the net to make it 1-0 Kohnhead. Laker got his second after a ball from Miranda Atkinson went to him where he broke a defender's ankles before sending it into the upper right corner to give us a 2-0 lead in the 29th minute.

Korkson would add the only non-Laker goal in the 36th minute to give us a three goal cushion as it became obvious we would be winning this one. This one would be an assist from Ida Cogginter who would send it to the near post where Korkson who had blazed past the defense would volley it in to give us the 3-0 lead. The Orion Islands would get their only goal on a blatant penalty in the 59th minute committed by Miranda Atkinson and it would fortunately only get her a yellow.

Laker would score his hattrick in the 77th minute as we had made substitutions to get Griffin Pheonix-Anderson, Sophie Johnson, and Suzanna Barter in. Pheonix-Anderson would do most of the work dribbling past two defenders before unselfishly passing it off to Laker who had the easy finish for his the hattrick. This assist was also huge for GPA as against HUElavia in our round of 32 matchup he might be playing his last ever match in a Kohnheadian uniform. That assist may have been his last minutes as he is our third choice striker off the bench.

Speaking of HUElavia as I already mentioned they are going to be our opponent for the next round as we meet in Sylestone. HUElavia are coming out of group F over in Ethane where they finished 2nd at 10 points with three wins, one draw, and two losses same as us. This will be the 15th seed (HUElavia) vs the 18th seed (us) so it should be a very even matchup. HUElavians appear to consider themselves as solid favorites which I can't really argue with as they have been the better team as they were safe on the last matchday and lost to an extremely hungry South Newlandia team. HUElavia also have a +6 goal differential versus our +4. In addition to this they are the 23rd ranked team in the World where as we are 71.

Despite them being the favorites I just have a feeling about this match, and I feel that we will win and in convincing fashion. Michael White wants to show Kohnheadians what he can do and getting us into the round of 16 once again would go a long way in showing that Kohnhead never left. This team is playing with a spirit we didn't see in qualifiers and wants to get to the quarters to prove that our performance in qualifiers was a fluke. We have a tough path forward but I believe The Brains can do it. Here we go!

Starting XI vs HUElavia: Sanders, Radison, Corton, Atkinson, Rodar, Laker, Rallyton, Cogginter, Henderson, Maltos, Korkson (C)
Kohnhead
Trigramme: KHD
Pop: 25 million
Football: 64th
Gridiron: 24th
Baseball: 15th
Basketball: 2nd
Volleyball: 2nd
Football:
Wonder Cup 2 - Champions
Di Bradini Cup 48 / U21WC 69 - 4th place

Tennis:
6 Ethanian Open - Winner (Doubles)
7 Steinigestrasse Open - Winner (Doubles)
7 Britonish Open - Winner (Doubles)

Gridiron:
NSCF 22 - Semifinals (Kohnhead City University)
NSCF 24 - Semifinals (Kohnhead City University)

Basketball:
Gold Coast Basketball Tournament - 2nd place

Baseball:
International Baseball Series 12 - 4th place

Volleyball:
Volleyball World Expo 11 - 3rd place
Volleyball World Expo 12 - 4th place

New Lusitania and the Algarves
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby New Lusitania and the Algarves » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:15 pm

STL|Serviços de Transmissão Lusitana
Sport | Football|
Cup of Harmony 78

A STUMBLE ONWARDS...
Cup of Harmony Matchday 7:
Geektopia 0-0 New Lusitania

New Lusitania would play their final match against Geektopia which were originally slated to qualify but were knocked out by the time the game came. The group practically won, the match would still be a good one and still important as the Overall classification still mattered as the Selecção competed with other teams across the eight groups already. Nonetheless, Grilo wanted to rest some of his men. A coming-of-age António Lopes started with Guerreiros, Leiteiro and Cancela as Azinheira came up with Fernando, Guerra, Gama in midfield and Veiga, Jota alongside Paciente up front. The game had plenty of good chances in the both halves, the Geektopians went inches away of scoring a goal but failed and Paciente almost got away before being declared offside. Both goalkeepers also had a heavy representation in the match saving many great opportunities whilst in others it was just luck as Jota came metres short of connecting the ball with this foot to push it in and slid in as it went wide. The match would finish as a draw, a slightly positive note for the opposition and acceptable for the Lusitanians. For the Selecção, it was an important game from a planner's point of view as the team featured many of the players that will become staple starters in a world cup's time, something Grilo has planned early on.
Valladares Lost 3-5 to Squidroidia in the late match with Kohnhead beating the Orion Islands easily 1-4 in their final match, killing the dream for the Cheergirls. New Lusitania finish top on fourteen and is followed by an in-form Squidroidia on 12. With the results in consideration, Kohnhead leap-frogged into third equal in points with Valladares, who would also qualify with ten. The Cheergirls just missed out and Geektopia travel home with a handful of made points with the Orion Islands absolutely point-less.
With Tequilo finished, Mercedini got the group in the final match by beating the Blouman's 5-3 with Ethane going ahead of Granitfjall (3-1) in Group A. In C, Sargossa confirmed a group victory with a 1-3 victory against closest rivals Flavovespia. Megistos beating Abanhfleft 3-4 and Huayramarca beating Mattijana 2-4 meant the latter missed on qualification and it would be Megistos through, just about. Group D had already been given to Sarzonia and Mavinet confirmed their silver; TJUN-ia went third with a 3-1 win to Barunia and "Z.R.&H" qualified fourth despite a defeat (5-2 vs. Mavinet)
Group E's results confirmed Xanneria as the best team in the group phase with eighteen points with hosts Sylvestone missing the opportunity following a defeat to the leaders by 0-1. Krytenia kept Twicegratia at bay(2-4) meaning Tikariot qualify. In Group F, Sulsuland may have thought they had gone and done it after beating Indusse 1-0, but a shock HUElavian defeat to South Newlandia meant the aforementioned qualified leaving them fifth as Astograth confirmed first (Ziwana, 3-2) and Electrum also progressed.
Group G was what everyone had been waiting for and it didn't disappoint as the top three finished on ten points. Maccian may have lost to Saltstead 1-0 but won the group, followed by a disgruntled Vdara who had a +6 goal differential but remained runners-up even with their 4-2 victory to SW-EN. Riena's victory to Tioguldos (4-2) pushed the Hispanic side to third and lost them the group win but qualified regardless with more goals than either of the other two with Poafmersia also progressing.
Despite a loss to runners-up Omerica (2-3), Northwest Kalactin were first. Taeshan edged it on the head to head against Oberour Ar Moro, who they beat 2-1 with Jeruselem also making it.
The Round of Thirty-Two draw shook things up well. Top seeds Xanneria face last seed Megistos but the winner will play the victor of the hosts' clash as Ethane take on Sylvestone. Mavinet will have a tough time with Jeruselem and their winner play either Valladares or The Maccian, two teams in form. Astograth's olive-coloured shirts will grace the pitches against "Zeta-Reka", with whoever comes out on top playing Electrum or Tequilo of Group A. Runners-up of B, Squidroidia play Abanhfleft, a tough match, but the road complicated with Tikariot or... Northwest Kalactin. Over in Sylvestone, the Sargossans face Poafmersia with the winner playing TJUN-ia or Vdara, which could deal damage on their day. Flavovespia's clash with Tioguldos promises after both teams' performances in the first phase with plenty of capable players up for the challenge with the other half of the bracket being South Newlandia or Mercedini. The Selecção feature in the penultimate bracket and play Granitfjall, a side who showed some really quick play in the group stage, deserving of the qualification, but the winner of that will have one of the toughest roads ahead with the quarters being against established names Omerica or Kryenia and the winner of that playing a semi-final against familiar faces of HUElavia or Kohnhead, dangerous Taeshan or second top seeds Sarzonia, who really impressed. The national coach is confident that his national side can at least take this second hurdle into the next round but believes his side "should be wary of a team like Granitfjall", citing it's very quick style of swift response. Only time will tell as the nation attempts to march on, this time with a full main team onto the next round...

---
STL
Official Broadcasters of the World Cup.
Follow the Selecção's road here!
MMXX (in association with FLF)
NEW LUSITANIA AND THE ALGARVES

PROUD MEMBER OF THE IDU \ Trigramme: NLA
Embassy Program - Closed
Champions of IAC9, 3rd IAC6
3G, 2S, 2B at the IDU Olympics'19
Semi-finalist of the WPIC 3 [Water Polo]
Almost made it to World Cup 80 (3rd in Group) as well as World Cup 81 (lost playoff)

Megistos
Diplomat

Founded: May 01, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Megistos » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:28 pm

Comeback

Group C
Mattijana 2–4 Huayramarca
Flavovespia 1–3 Sargossa
Abanhfleft 3–4 Megistos

Group C Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Sargossa 6 5 1 0 17 10 +7 16
2 Flavovespia 6 4 1 1 10 5 +5 13
3 Abanhfleft 6 3 1 2 14 12 +2 10
4 Megistos 6 2 1 3 10 12 −2 7
5 Mattijana 6 2 0 4 10 13 −3 6
6 Huayramarca 6 1 1 4 7 11 −4 4
7 The Gothanita Isles 6 0 3 3 7 12 −5 3

Final Results

Mattijana: 6. Megistos: 4. The only two teams left in Group C that hadn't but could still qualify. MD5 was Mattijana 2–1 Megistos, and MD6 was 2-0 to Flavovespia, meaning if Mattijana won against Sargossa the Cup Of Harmony would be over. Thankfully, a 5-3 result favoring Sargossa came in place. For Megistos, MD7 was them facing already qualified Abahnfleft, while Mattijana faced already-out Huayramarca. It felt impossible, the Megistians were walking on a thin line.

And they didn't fall.

The game against Abanhfleft began, and this time the Fleftic team scored first. Rusev danced past Fran with her speed in the 3rd minute, and sent the cross in. The ball deflected off Sears and all McGinnis had to do was tap the ball in past Becks, and she did exactly that. Becks couldn't get there in time as he already was on the ground. The Megistians were in trouble.

Abanhfleft kept on the high pressure and almost scored again in the 8th when a poor pass from Fri got into the feet of Rusev, who spotted Liner making her run unmarked and passed to her. Liner shot far post, but hit the post and just went wide, behind for a goal-kick.

Megistos tied the game up in the 10th minute. when a counterattack was launched after the post hit in the 9th minute. Becks passed to Fran, who passed it to Lukovic, who passed it back to Fran, who passed it back to Lukovic. Lukovic sent the low cross coming to Robertson, who was triple-teamed by Sullins, Shepley and Adams. Smartly, Robertson spotted a open Cringan and backheeled it to him, who smashed it in the top left corner, leaving no chance for Bryan as he watched like a statue the ball go in. The Megistians has their spirit back, while the Fleftic team has theirs doused.

Megistos got another chance in the 14th minute where Lam found a breakthrough following yet another counter from a heavy Fleftic attack. Lam spotted Cringan, the goalscorer, running, with Adams going 'hey, let's let him be onside!' and passed to him, who quickly crossed it in before Adams could steal the ball. However, Shepley cleared the ball away with a header, blocked Robertson's jump.

Abanhfleft had gone up again in the 32nd minute, with Shepley's long shot being parried by Becks, but parried toward Fran who accidently deflected it out for a corner. The corner was taken, and Rusev got the head to it, powerfully heading it into the left corner, Becks dived, but couldn't there in time.

Megistos tied it up just at halftime with Lam running down the middle, he spotted Robertson run in the box and passed it to him, Robertson was about to shoot... but he got slided just before he was going chip Bryan. The ref didn't hesitate as he pointed to the spot. Penalty.

Lukovic took it, he dragged his foot at the end of his run making Bryan think he was already shooting, she dived to the right and Lukovic slotted it in through the middle in the 45th minute. 2-2 was the score at half-time.

Early in the second half, namely the 48th minute, Britt got a chance, and scored this one. Shepley cleared the ball away after a strong Megistian chance, and it was a big chance for Britt, as all that was left to get past was Fri and Becks. Britt tried to get past Fri, but failed, but when Fri was about to pass it to Lam Britt intercepted the ball and curled it with the outside of her foot past Becks, who dived, got a finger to it but it was too less and Abanhfleft were up again. A back-and-forth entertaining game.

The Megistians scored back in the 62nd, tying it up again, with Williams on the ball. He passed it to Jorgenson, who passed it to Howard, who passed it to Lam. Lam spotted Robertson run and passed to him, he made the run and Robertson passed it back to Lam, Lam shot and the ball went past the flying hands of Bryan and into the net.

Megistos would go full on attacking mode as they needed a goal, and they almost got one in the 81st minute, Robertson would receive the ball from a good clearance from Fri, Robertson would shoot, but the lob o'er Bryan took a post hit.

Megistos got the goal they needed so badly, the goal they had been waiting forever to come, in the 85th. Fran would be taking the corner, and Robertson would receive it back-post. He would dribble in the center of the net and slam it in the net. For Abanhfleft, the goal didn't make a huge change, but for Megistos, it did.

Next up is Number 1 team in the tournament so far, Xanneria. Going undefeated is a amazing feat, and Megistos have the huge task of defeating them. The chance is slim. Even if we make it, we face one of the hosts.

But Can We Pull The Magic From The Hat?

Like we did, this matchday. Or will it be an early knockout? Stay tuned to find out!
Ambassador To Canada

Tikariot
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tikariot » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:35 pm

Alistair McIntosh: We live to play another day. Tikariot is through to the Round of 32. This is "Harmony Now!" on Tikariot Sports TV!

presented by

Alistair McIntosh: The group stage is over and after a very shaky start we did manage to qualify for the knockout stage, even if just by the skin of our teeth. Joining us in the studio is not Walter Bismuth, who has last been seen wandering the woods around Fort Viljan, but Corrado Consigliere is back, welcome back to our studio!

Corrado Consigliere: Thanks for having me again.

Alistair McIntosh: So things have not exactly gone as planned with us just barely clinching a playoff spot, as 29th of 32 teams. Is this reality coming back to ground us?

Corrado Consigliere: Some yes and mostly no. Sure, we've been riding on a wave of euphoria almost ever since we started our international games and at one point we were bound to come down off it, but then at the same time the Cup of Harmony is a very tough competition and also this is not a qualification either, but the real deal. So if you look at who is in the knockout stage, you will find big names, like Krytenia, Sargossa, Astograth, Sarzonia, Mercedini and many more.

Martin Seagrave: And that's a good point there. Some people see the Cup as kind of the consolation prize for whoever did not manage to qualify for the World Cup, but when you see which teams did not make it, there is an awful lot of talent here and to go on to the playoffs already is an achievement in itself.

Duncan Haldane: And overall a lot of the groups have been very tight, also showing how competitive the whole Cup is, so while we did not perform as well as we had hoped we would, we still qualified and that's all that really matters, because once you hit the playoffs, everything takes on a completely different character as well.

Alistair McIntosh: So we had our bye day on match day seven and just looking at the points were still endangered by both Krytenia and Twicetagria, which got a couple of people's knickers in a twist, especially in some media that didn't pay attention to what the last game was and lo and behold with these two teams playing each other on match day seven it meant that we were already qualified before the players even touched the pitch to begin with.

Corrado Consigliere: Now Northwest Kalactin is a country that we have played once, and promptly lost 1-0, but they qualified as fourth best team with a 5-0-1 record, which is a vast improvement over their somewhat disappointing World Cup qualification campaign. Now how this game might go is completely up in the air, because Kalactin is coming into our game on a high, winning their group, but also finishing it with a 2-3 loss against Omerica, which could in theory put a bit of a dent into their spirit.

Martin Seagrave: There is that, but then on the other side, meaning us, we had a very ho-hum group stage, which was not really conducive for any kind of momentum or euphoria, however we come off a 2-1 win over Krytenia, the pot 1 team of our group to clinch our qualification, so just like with them things could go either way.

Alistair McIntosh: So before going over our team, let's have a brief look at Northwest Kalactin's run during the Cup of Harmony so far.

The World Cup qualification had not been kind on the Kalactanians, who were looking forward to seeing some hope within the political turmoil they found themselves in, finishing their group 14 in ninth position with a highly disappointing 3-4-11 record and 35-54 goals. Subsequently manager Damon Scheter was fired and sent back to Ethane, which is coincidencally where Northwest Kalactin would also play their group matches. Now what followed next was a very, let's call it unusual move as FA president Jared Sednah declared himself manager of the national team, something that took even his own FA by surprise. However odd this decision was, though, looking at their success in the Cup of Harmony pretty much has proven Sednah right, even though the hawked rumours of the deal he gave himself are hair-raising.

They started their campaign with a resounding 4-0 win over Springmont, followed by a 2-1 against Taeshan and another high win against Savigliane with 4-2, sending the team to almost unheard of heights and they managed to continue this incredible run with a 2-1 over Jeruselem and a 3-1 against Oberour Ar Moro, clinching the group with one match to spare. We are not sure, if the fact that the pressure was somewhat off affected the game play, but they lost their last game against Omerica 2-3 and slipped from second to fourth place overall.

Alistair McIntosh: Looking at the tables, if they had won their last match, they would have ended up first or second overall, which would have given them either Megistos or Taeshan as opponents, are we an easier or harder opponent for them?

Duncan Haldane: That's extremely hard to say. Some will argue that Megistos are one of the easiest opponents to get, but Taeshan highly likely would have been out for blood trying to redeem themselves for their surprise loss on match day three, while we are also very intent on setting the record straight after our loss in the friendly prior to the Cup of Harmony, so it's hard to really gauge because at this stage underestimating anybody here could prove fatal.

Corrado Consigliere: Duncan is right, some could say that given where we ended up we also dodged teams like Astograth, Sargossa, with Brian McAllister as coach doing a fantastic job, by the way, or Sarzonia, so in the end any speculation and what ifs are moot point anyways, because there is only one game and opponent to focus on and that is Northwest Kalactin.

Alistair McIntosh: Well said. Now having a look at our team, there have been some visible shifts within the team that seem to have come to fruition.

Martin Seagrave: Yes, there are three definitive winners so far, Anil Al Hak, Jesson Morrison and Franklin Mosnyk. Al Hak has managed to push Vincent Liniack onto the bench with a tremendous work rate that has been propelling the Tikariot game forwards down his right side. And then the M&Ms, which I still find is a hilarious nickname. Morrison and Mosnyk have had the opportunity to really become a very tight duo in Anhedron's surprise run in the TPL and it is great to see that they have managed to translate that into their games here at the Cup of Harmony as well.

Corrado Consigliere: Morrison has two goals and one assist, Mosnyk three goals and two assists, which given that we only scored eleven goals during these six games makes their numbers even more impressive. Now some people have dubbed Morris Nighthorse a disappointment and yes, he has not recorded a single scorer point yet, but his work rate is phenomenal, creating spaces, creating chances, working back very efficiently and he shows that you don't have to put up the huge numbers to be a big asset to the team.

Alistair McIntosh: He has kind of spoilt us with goals and assists, so that's where this relative disappointment likely is coming from, but looking forward and not back, let's have a look at the projected line-up of the Snowy Owls against Northwest Kalactin.

Duncan Haldane: This is what has emerged as the likely best possible line-up we have to offer right now, Eren Knox has brought some more stability into the back four after Walter Thomas showed a few nerves, which is normal given his young age, and then as mentioned the M&Ms, who are a threat to any defense at this point.

Alistair McIntosh: Another big, big thing happening right now is the IFCF Transfer Window, which Tikariotian clubs are participating in for the first time and they are active, aren't they, Russell Percat?

Russell Percat: Oh yes, it has been mayhem and it has only been open for two days so far. There had been quite some activity already before the window officially opened with some transfers having been agreed upon in the days and weeks approaching.

Alistair McIntosh: So who have been the biggest shakers and movers?

Russell Percat: Well, that depends on how you look at it, because some teams have added quite a lot of players, but not paid much for them, if at all. So let's have a look at who has made their moves into and around the league with the majority of transfers so far having taken place internationally and the teams likely looking domestically once the dust settles.

Ancarea FC:
CB Jean-Carlo Fiske (17 - STB) Basian Valley FC (STB) > Ancarea FC (TKT) - free
LB Lyre Castor (33 - NPH) Creed United (NPH) > Ancarea FC (TKT) - free
LB Archer Nguyen (20 - SNL) FC Ineton (SNL) > Ancarea FC (TKT) - free
CM Ivan Ivanić-Petarić (22 - ZRH) FKP Ottowić County (ZRH) > Ancarea FC (TKT) - free
CF Nordús Keslomal (18 - TIO) Kmofuofer (TIO) > Ancarea FC (TKT) - free
CF Andrew Relyea (24 - SPM) South Winbridge FC (SPM) > Ancarea FC (TKT) - free

Anhedron Wanderers FC:
CB Ansom Payne (28 - NPH) Aries Chariots (NPH) > Anhedron Wanderers FC (TKT) - free

Avanaroch White Wings:
RM Terry Stamper (17 - STB) Hernsworth Cubs (STB) > Avanaroch White Wings FC (TKT) - free
DM/CM Daniel Laverne (25 - NPH) North Sabrefell (NPH) > Avanaroch White Wings FC (TKT) - free
CB Garwyn Varney (34 - BRE) Soldarian FC (VAL) > Avanaroch White Wings FC (TKT) - free

Baraldhur AFC:
CB Lissa Crain (24 - ZWZ) 102s Jr.s (ZWZ) > Baraldhur AFC (TKT) - undisclosed
LM Michelangelo Santini (23 - JUV) Internazionale Serone (JUV) > Baraldhur AFC (TKT) - undisclosed
CM Tran Hoang Minh (28 - MVT) Vinh An Dai Hoa (MVT) > Baraldhur AFC (TKT) - 5000000

Bul Khungur Miners FC:
GK Georges Gervaise (31 - NAC) FC Avoncore (NAC) > Bul Khungur Miners FC (TKT) - free
RB Ápder Morlas (21 - TIO) Ókumo Ferofo (TIO) > Bul Khungur Miners FC (TKT) - free
AM Júlien Cantù (26 - JUV) USC Toro (JUV) > Bul Khungur Miners FC (TKT) - undisclosed

Carathyr Emeralds FC:
RM Regemond Brixen (26 - SRS) AFC Schelluinen (NQU) > Carathyr Emeralds FC (TKT) - free
CM Lorencio Uriostegui (22 - FFD) unknown (FFD) > Carathyr Emeralds FC (TKT) - free
RW Calliope Montevecchi (25 - SVG) Villeneuve NSC (SVG) > Carathyr Emeralds FC (TKT) - free
ST Daegrwr yHawdreach (18 - KOR) West Strand Riding University (KOR) > Carathyr Emeralds FC Academy (TKT) - free

Dhun Lagarr FC:
CM/DM Alfonso Mazarin (20 - SVG) FC Riziéres (SVG) > Dhun Lagarr FC (TKT) - free
GK Guo Yanhong (26 - YZH) SC Hudong (YZH) > Dhun Lagarr FC (TKT) - free

Eivora Athletic FC:
RM Zornim Turaulthen (18 - KOR) Joaqueras Academica de Futbol (KOR) > Eivora Athletic FC (TKT) - free
GK Felragi Sasado (18 - FFD) unknown (FFD) > Eivora Athletic FC (TKT) - free

Emerald Coast Raiders FC:
RB Veljko Bartović (17 - ZRH) Aleiusia Capital Jrs (ZRH) > Emerald Coast Raiders FC (TKT) - free
LM Frey Stanger (33 - BRE) Istria City FC (BNJ) > Emerald Coast Raiders FC (TKT) - free
GK Markko Ingerman (30 - SVJ) Metsuri Virkaja (SVJ) > Emerald Coast Raiders FC (TKT) - free
FW Dino Sang-Jefferies (18 - TKT) Port Rhovanyon AFC (TKT) > Emerald Coast Raiders FC (TKT) - free
FW Louis Melton (19 - TKT) The Zhelmagor Society FC (TKT) > Emerald Coast Raiders FC (TKT) - 2000000
CDM Li Keqiang (24 - YZH) Xinhai FC (YZH) > Emerald Coast Raiders FC (TKT) - free

Kyethas Rivermen FC:
CB Chiara Blanco (22 - SVG) Aracchena (SVG) > Kyethas Rivermen FC (TKT) - free
ST Ortzi Ariztegi (29 - AUD) Cranequin Wanderers (NPH) > Kyethas Rivermen FC (TKT) - free
RB/CB Jonathan Primevère (22 - SVG) FC Trinité 1912 (SVG) > Kyethas Rivermen FC (TKT) - free
FW Jesse Liljestrand (20 - TKT) Fort Viljan Northern FC (TKT) > Kyethas Rivermen FC (TKT) - 2500000
LM Ajufue Lorokelo (24 - TIO) Nor fam Bmodo Jídgem (TIO) > Kyethas Rivermen FC (TKT) - undisclosed
ST Pascale Langóbardi (24 - SVG) Pietrargenta (SVG) > Kyethas Rivermen FC (TKT) - free

Oriannor Mountaineers FC:
CB Juan Esnáider (29 - SRG) Alianza Jucaro (SRG) > Oriannor Mountaineers FC (TKT) - undisclosed
CB Gré Arceneaux (24 - KOR) Cirelbourne United (KOR) > Oriannor Mountaineers FC (TKT) - 5500000

Parakleion Firebirds FC:
CB Eli Al-Cazar (31 - COS) Club Stein-Io (PAS) > Parakleion Firebirds FC (TKT) - free
LM/LW Gabriel Schneyder-Dillio (21 - QUE) Labrador State University (QUE) > Parakleion Firebirds FC (TKT) - free
LW/LM Hlégestur Snæþórsson (31 - GRF) Steinaux (GRF) > Parakleion Firebirds FC (TKT) - undisclosed
CB Berrëngüé Lâ Léspér (20 - FFD) unknown (FFD) > Parakleion Firebirds FC (TKT) - free

Port Rhovanyon AFC:
GK Bengt Palmgroen (26 - KOR) Bruncester United AFC (KOR) > Port Rhovanyon AFC (TKT) - 3000000
CB Ha Van Thao (27 - MVT) TelcomMavi FC (MVT) > Port Rhovanyon AFC (TKT) - 2000000
CB Kevin Nappaaluk (15 - QUE) Nunavut North Stars (QUE) > Port Rhovanyon AFC Academy (TKT) - free

Port Tacassam FC:
CM/DM Davidov Rominevskiy (25 - TWI) Imperial Alphaxrie (TWI) > Port Tacassam FC (TKT) - 1500000
GK Olliuier le Duc (26 - OAM) Myrrh-Streamer (OAM) > Port Tacassam FC (TKT) - undisclosed
LB Percy Boisson (27 - SVG) Villeneuve NSC (SVG) > Port Tacassam FC (TKT) - free

Pyathora Mariners FC:
LW Odon Gastaud (23 - SVG) L'Escarene SC (SVG) > Pyathora Mariners FC (TKT) - free

Tikariot City FC:
GK Jess Oaktree (29 - NPH) Anfanhar City (CMT) > Tikariot City FC (TKT) - free
FW Ellis Wagstaff (26 - TKT) Miruan City FC (TKT) > Tikariot City FC (TKT) - free
RM Peterne de Courbeuil (26 - OAM) Patrons (OAM) > Tikariot City FC (TKT) - undisclosed
AM Choam Osfomilúo (25 - TIO) PO Draspa Moinas (TIO) > Tikariot City FC (TKT) - undisclosed
CB Dalton Aldrige (21 - STB) Tuncastle Rovers (STB) > Tikariot City FC (TKT) - undisclosed
RB Isil yMergerwth (16 - KOR) Clwb Peldred Peredwr (KOR) > Tikariot City FC Academy (TKT) - free

Valnohar Rovers FC:
CM Jakki Montelius (26 - COS) Hellinic Rouge (PAS) > Valnohar Rovers FC (TKT) - free
LM Balesio Gabarret (20 - ASG) Meerkerk (NQU) > Valnohar Rovers FC (TKT) - free
CM Corwin Kindvanrandoel (24 - TSA) Wilaamstad Wrijgers (TSA) > Valnohar Rovers FC (TKT) - free

Vantanoch FC:
GK Michael Herndon (24 - NPH) Diamondqueen (NPH) > Vantanoch FC (TKT) - free
CM Mario Saint-Michel (21 - SVG) Stade-Ferre Trinité (SVG) > Vantanoch FC (TKT) - free

Veriasod Lakers FC:
LB Uenoncuili de Taconneeur (25 - OAM) Anceaume (OAM) > Veriasod Lakers FC (TKT) - undisclosed
LW Luo Aiguo (22 - YZH) Mükiachou Athletic (YZH) > Veriasod Lakers FC (TKT) - free

Vilharady Owls FC:
CM Stella Boisbouvier (23 - SVG) Mont-Basiliqué (SVG) > Vilharady Owls FC (TKT) - free
ST Victor Reinaldo (17 - STB) Nidola United (STB) > Vilharady Owls FC (TKT) - free
AM Lethe Cirvante (35 - ASU) Yincheng Capitals (YZH) > Vilharady Owls FC (TKT) - free

Xanark City FC:
CM Nasr-Eddine Bijsterveld (30 - NAC) AC Blarney (NAC) > Xanark City FC (TKT) - free
GK Christian Saunders (30 - BRE) Anchors FC (CMT) > Xanark City FC (TKT) - free
FW Jun Jacobs (18 - TKT) Morannon Athletic FC (TKT) > Xanark City FC (TKT) - 2000000
FW Lawrence Bowden (25 - TKT) Pyathora Mariners FC (TKT) > Xanark City FC (TKT) - free

Ysgrann Bay Eagles FC:
CB Filip Barker (25 - SNL) Gloswood FC (SPM) > Ysgrann Bay Eagles FC (TKT) - free
LM Jean-Jacques Vaniere (20 - TKT) Nagoush FC (TKT) > Ysgrann Bay Eagles FC (TKT) - 1750000
LB Tiburcio Prunes (32 - FFD) Raynor City United (VAL) > Ysgrann Bay Eagles FC (TKT) - free
CDM Troy Clemence (26 - BRE) Vrnovo Mesto (STL) > Ysgrann Bay Eagles FC (TKT) - free
RB Zhuang Ming (22 - YZH) Xihaishi (YZH) > Ysgrann Bay Eagles FC (TKT) - free

Russell Percat: As you can see, this is a huge list already, so there will be a lot of new faces and languages and nations in the Tikariot Premier League next season and this is some truly exciting outlooks and I have a feeling that this will be a very, very competitive season, Alistair.

Alistair McIntosh: Thank you Russell for the very extensive overview over the transfer activities so far and this does not even include all the youngsters that came up from the clubs' respective academies, so a lot of new and exciting talent coming into the league and the season planning is not done yet either. So for all of you football fanatics at home, we will keep a close eye on all transfers going in and out and join us for our live coverage of the Cup of Harmony Round of 32 game against Northwest Kalactin tonight, let's all cross our fingers that we will have a lot to talk about tomorrow, including a preview of the next game, haha.
Tikariot - Rushmore - Trigramme: TKT
Sporting achievements:
Football: Ro16 (and group winner) WC87 | Winner - IFC 1 | Quarter final - BoF 73 | 3rd in group WCQ86
Baseball: Winner - International Baseball Slam XI | Round of 16 - World Baseball Classic 49/50/51
Hosting: IBS XII, Copa Rushmori 36, WBC 51, World Cup 89
NS Sports Miniflags

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby PotatoFarmers » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:58 pm

OOC: Failed to catch-up on previous RPs, so group stage scorers/starters are dependant on whatever my opponents have RPed (if they have).

RP Series: Getting to the top
Chapter 3: The second-tier tournament?
Part 2: New vs Old

The Cup of Harmony this time is really difficult.
With 56 teams throwing their hat into the tournament, something surely has to give way, whether it is crowning a new winner at the end, or ushering in a new era where teams at the top don't come from older established sides. It also doesn't help that the defending champions are drinking coffee in Drawkland and Newmaninstan.
If you think a newer side can win the cup this time, then maybe you are correct. Kandorith, the defending champions, qualified for the World Cup and therefore, they cannot defend their title. Geektopia, last season's runners-up, performed poorly to get a miserable 5 points and failed to get out of the Group Stage. You can say that someone else will come and take this title.
A look at Group G will let you understand how nonsensical this can be. The side with the longest history is Pot 6 side Saltstead, debuting in the 65th Baptism of Fire. The side with the shortest histories goes to Tioguldos and Southwest Eastnorth, both of which debuted in the most recent Baptism of Fire. Then the top 3 seeds are 3 really strong sides, namely Reina, Vdara, and us, who are in their...2nd, 3rd and 3rd World Cup cycle respectively. Of course, the table was disapointing, with Poafmersia trialing lots of random tactics and players around. The Maccian, in their 2nd cycle, got tops, while Vdara and Tioguldos got 2nd and 3rd before us. For Adnan Suliaha and Katiri Hedge, the results were "expected". It was a tough group to be in, with every team losing at least twice and stealing a win somewhere or nowhere. You could say this was a group of death of sorts, but the younger players got the opportunity to step up and show their capabilities ahead of the Round of 32, where things get real serious. Poafmersia got drawn in a really tough fixture set, playing Sargossa in the Round of 32. This includes a travel to Sylestone where the matches are held. If we get past that, the next would be against TJUN-ia/Vdara, a battle of the batch of WC84 to see who will be our representatives in the Quarters. After that, it might very well be a familiar opponent, as one of Flavovespia, Tioguldós, South Newlandia or Mercedini who stands in our way. The path is real tough, but the players would want that experience of playing difficult opponents.
According to captain for the match Joel Haodao, he said that it was because of the trial and error during the 6-match long group stage that has made the team find out new things. The team has refined some of their strategies with regards to ball handling, worked on making their weaker defence a strength by pushing forward more aggressively, and worked on their finishing. Hopefully, everything will fall into place.

Starting 11 against Sargossa: Sandi Jaliaha; Nasri Sanchez, Alex Hoboson, Simone Gori; Dargis Walshor, Daas Taisg, Nero Wood, Whitney Rios; Aubrey Mayer, Joel Haodao (c), Hansel Tang
Last edited by PotatoFarmers on Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC Name: The People's Republic of Poafmersia (Trigram: PFA)
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.
Sportswire. Chasing The Unknown.
Achievements: BoF 71 Bronze; IAC X and IAC XI Champions
WCC Football (Pre-WCQ93) - 40th, with 18.62, Style: +1.2345
OptaPoaf at work: https://bit.ly/m/OptaPoaf

Astograth
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Astograth » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:06 pm

Previously

“…and the Nine of Cups. There is a player with the number nine on your team, correct?”

“Yes. Epherra. A forward,” replied Vaudrail. His breath stirred the smoke between him and The Master.

The mystic tapped the card laid out on the cushion before, left hand on his chin. “Good. In context of The Magician and The Strength, the Nine of Cups means that it is this player in particular who will achieve mastery over mind, body, and spirit, overcoming his inner obstacles to achieve his full potential. You think this is correct?”

“It… sounds possible,” said the manager. “I hope he does, at least.”

“Good. And see the man on the Nine of Cups?” The Master held up the card for Vaudrail and Kiriano to see. It depicted a robed, seated man, with nine goblets arranged on a table behind him. “His arms are folded, he is happy. This Epherra will be pleased with himself, and whole. And the Cups, of course, reference that this will happen at the cup you will compete in.”

“You’re sure of this?” asked Kiriano. His voice cracked, gone dry from disuse as The Master read their fortune.

The man’s eyes wandered, as he pondered the question. “One hundred percent sure, no. Nobody can be, for this method is not perfect. But it is very likely, and perhaps in ways that are not so obvious.”

“But the cups,” insisted Kiriano, a broad finger pointed at the card, “the man on the card has won those cups. They belong to him; he is posing with them. What does that mean?”

The Master sighed and folded his own arms. “The Suit of Cups represents emotion. In the case of the Nine of Cups: satisfaction, fulfilment. That is the emotion. Of course, this could be saying that he – the player, the whole team – will win the Cup of Balance, but-”

“Of Harmony,” interrupted Kiriano, gruffly. “Cup of Harmony.”

“The Cup of Harmony,” resumed The Master. “Harmony is achieved through Balance, and you will require both to triumph, but I digress. The Nine of Cups indicates primarily personal goals, but it can also be collective ones – especially if winning this cup is one of his goals.” The man flicked through his deck and pulled out another card to show them. “Look, this is the Ten of Cups.”

Vaudrail and Kiriano craned their heads forward, squinting in the dim light. This card depicted a merry landscape, with a happy couple, dancing children, and high in the sky a rainbow, studded with ten golden chalices. Kiriano shrugged.

“OK. What does it mean?”

“It is the Ten of Cups, if drawn upright, which represents collective wellness and joy. Over all of the land, as would happen if you win this Cup of Bal- of Harmony. But it is not what Fate drew, It drew the Nine of Cup, therefore I am reticent to suggest it means you will win the tournament. But it is not ruled out. You understand?” The Master’s eyebrows drew sharp arches high on his face.

Kiriano nodded. “Yeah. I get it, I think. Is that the reading then?”

“Of the cards, yes. You have other questions?”

“Who’re we going to play in the Round of 32?” asked Kiriano bluntly.

The Master huffed, but said nothing before reaching around to grab the sheet of paper listing the group draw. He scanned it, up and down, for the better part of a minute. His eyelids gently drew closer until they shut, but his right hand kept floating over the paper. He breathed deeply, and very slowly. Measuredly.

The hand came to a rest, and his eyes snapped open in candlelit urgency.

“This one!” he exclaimed, a finger rested upon a team from Group D. “Zeta Reka and H- Hiu- Hügel… taldom. You will play against this team in your Round of 32.”

Kiriano frowned. He hadn’t expected an answer this straightforward. The kook had surely dug his own grave with a prediction that unlikely. The bracket would be seeded! It could be any team from any group. “OK. How could you possibly know that?”

“I do not know. Others know and guide me.”

Kiriano rolled his eyes, but Vaudrail intervened before his assistant could respond.

“How do we defeat Zeta Reka? What should we do?”

The Master grinned. His bony finger reached down to again tap the Nine of Cups, still lying on its bed of satin.

“It is him you must ask.”
Last edited by Astograth on Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequilo
Envoy

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

CoH-78 RP-4 pre-R32

Postby Tequilo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:13 pm

TAPALUPÉ, Tequilo - So many match days, so little time… don’t worry, when you don’t have time for the big read (and we don’t have time for the big write) let the GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-a!!! Daily take the strain - all your favourite bits, in brief. Today we’re bringing back some of your favourite features: El Copametro… how are Los Pitxileros making out in Sylestone, land of pointy-eared savages and - allegedly - talking tea-cups? Rúi de Las Rovas… season two of the famous old comic book strip rebooted… can Rita flog a dead horse and sell Edison Cavani to dead horse specialists United of Manchester? But first, we have mail! Don't forget you can write in too, if you want to - address your fascinating texts to spamcatcher@gola.teq or drop a letter in the mail to PO Box 654353583.2, Grand Central Post Office, Tapalupé1

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
The things that are really frizzing your ‘fro right now

Good morning everyone. We have letters! Vdaran national team manager, Lükækš (“your habit of winning”, Letters To The Editor, two weeks ago) kicked off a storm of complaints as the Tequilo national team immediately lost it’s habit of winning. Was there a conspiracy? Presidente Viento of Usorno writes: “Dear neighbours, you are so naïve if you think this was a coincidence. I’ve being saying for years that the Vdarans are pirates and troublemakers, and as everybody knows, El Presidente is always right, two hundred per cent of the time. Fact. Sink the Vdarans! And clean up your borders, man.”

Well, we are sure that’s not the actual President of Usorno there, although we agreed we liked the mimicry enough to print it. We have more airmail from international correspondents too! A Mister Siovani Teusla writes all the way from Borograd in Siovanija and Teusland, “Hello, we like your Ixtub Tün and wish to purchase. Send him. We have all the money. How much you want? Here is postcard, very great country. Tell Ixtub Tün to come to Olympia, best team of Republikaliga. Also ticket for plane is enclosed, First Class! Yours sincerely, Siovani Teusla.”

Well we thank you for writing, Siovani, but pretty sure that isn’t going to happen!

Regular correspondent Rùben Curto of Chanco Cóndor notes: “Yet again I seem to be the only one around here making any sort of effort to keep this letters column on track with a football focus; the title of letters to the ‘editor’ is almost an irony. Anyway, I’d love to know what people think about Pitxi-Pitxi 77s latest transfer action, selling Ixtub Tün to Olympia Borograd for a national transfer record this morning. I was very surprised they let their best player go, though I don’t blame him for leaving, the Replublikaliga is a good move for him.”

Meanwhile Norm. de Plume of Plume, Antivador (“I think I saw García de Corcoles on the beach”, three weeks ago, and “It’s not García”, last week) writes again: “That man on the beach is still there, and he’s tremendously irritable. I thought your readers should know.”

We may have the answer to that, thanks to this letter from Sylvia Bombarra of Florentio: “I took my kids to the beach the other day and they wanted to play football, but that man on the beach that Norm. de Plume writes about was there, and right in the way. The kids asked if he wanted to join in but he refused to talk, so they used him as a goalpost. I’m afraid to say, as the kids are all pretty hopeless Pitxileros, he got hit more than once. He is not a good sport, I can tell you.”

And finally, here is a postcard from Eura, no less! Anon Spartan scrawls “Sure, sounds good”. Umm, thanks Anon. If you want to add to that insight please drop us a line on this or any other matter at Letters To The Editor, spamcatcher@gola.teq or slowmail to PO Box 654353583.2, Grand Central Post Office, Tapalupé1.

LACKING A LOT OF SPARKLE WITHOUT TLACOLOTL

It was a mixed bag of progress to the knockout stages and a first ever defeat in a tournament group for the Agave-Blues as the last double-header without star striker Tlacolotl produced two dour games that will be quickly forgotten. Victory first against the Blouman Empire papered over the cracks of a poor showing, captain fantastic Mateo Tafalla rescuing the match with a 66th minute winner that all but assured Los Pitxileros of a place in the last 32, but against the backdrop of a team that looked tired and uninspired despite coach Isaac Martí opting to freshen things up with the introduction of Antton Machinena at the back with Urlegi Gorostola and Ito up front. In truth the front two were starved of serivice for much of the match, and Mateo Tafalla behind them was marked out of the game. Urlegi’s stirling work and his assist for the goal won the game for Tequilo, as well as a player of the match award which, on any other day, might not have been given to anyone at all. Mateo’s only real contribution was his goal but Bloumany showed how he might be stopped and that was clearly a lesson learned for any spotters on behalf of Tequilo’s next opponents Græntfjell, looking to progress themselves.

Indeed, the return of Ecuador up front and putting Isidor Artechevarria in left midfield to give Mateo more cover failed to change the tide for Tequilo’s last group match, and though qualification was assured thanks to results elsewhere, the game was lost in a drab encounter with a cunning opponent who neutralised the play through midfield. Coach Martí will admit to a rare mistake in leaving Urlegi Gorostola out of this match, where clearly his ability to take long punts in his stride and hold up the ball for reinforcements would have again been valuable, but instead he looked to the excitement and movement of the pairing that set the IAC on fire in Ito and Ecuador, which did not work, and although he switch Urlegi back on for the second half, he could not find his pace in the game and looked just as isolated. It has been a poor turn of form made worse injury to the captain Mateo Tafalla, who usually could be relied upon to turn around a couple of bad performances just when Tequilo need it most. But Niño Pinto is proving to be a very competent replacement and the knockout stage will also see the return of Tlacolotl, who is sure to make things happen for the Agave-Blues.

TEQUILO 1-0 Blouman Empire HT: 0-0

Attendance: 29,275 noisy toilet seats and the Ultra-Mariachis (8 sombreros+dog; all standing up)
Scorers: Mateo Tafalla 66’
Booked: Vilca Hualla, Roselio Toran | Ty Felstron, Isaac Cupstran
Tequilo Line-Up: Oscar Bienvenida | Llösë Lea, Haize Apeiztegui, Antton Machinena, Huachalla | Ixtub Tün | Vilca Hualla (VC) (sub: Isidoro Artechevarria), Mateo Tafalla (Capitan) (sub: Niño Pinto), Leyton | Urlegi Gorostola, Ito (sub: Roxelio Toran)
Player of the Match: Urlegi Gorostola (Tequilo)

Græntfjall 1-0 TEQUILO HT: 0-0

Attendance: 29,275 noisy toilet seats and the Ultra-Mariachis (8 sombreros+dog; all standing up)
Scorers: Amanda Guttisdóttir
Booked: Ásgautur Johannesson | Antton Machinena, Chicchan, Urlegi Gorostola
Tequilo Line-Up: Oscar Bienvenida | Llösë Lea, Haize Apeiztegui, Antton Machinena, Chicchan | Ixtub Tün | Isidoro Artechevarria (sub: Esâ Neá), Mateo Tafalla (Capitan), Leyton (sub: Ricardo Bailén) | Ito, Ecuador (sub: Urlegi Gorostola)
Player of the Match: Amanda Guttisdóttir (Græntfjall)

NEXT UP

Los Pitxileros face a former world champion in Electrum and will have to find form quickly after closing out qualification with two poor performances. The return of top scorer and star striker Tlacolotl will be a welcome boost and coach Martí is able to name almost his strongest side, with Patrick Zambo also returning in defence and Ecuador hopefully back to strength after perhaps returning too soon in the last match and finding himself subbed at half time. The only blemish is the loss of captain Mateo Tafalla but in Niño Pinto the coach has his upcoming replacement, with Mateo retiring from international football after this tournament. But everyone in Tequilo will hope the sorry defeat to Græntfjall will not be his final contribution, which means it is on this team to win through against one of the favourites who so far have been a little below their best to get into the knockout rounds. It would be a famous victory indeed. On the bench, the coach will be without Chicchan (suspended after two yellow cards in the group stage), Llösë Lea and Esâ Neá (both injured, with Esâ out for the rest of the tournament) as well as Mateo Tafalla.

Confirmed Line-Up for Electrum vs. TEQUILO: Oscar Bienvenida | Patrick Zambo, Haize Apeiztegui (VC), Huracan, Huachalla | Ixtub Tün | Vilca Hualla (Capitan), Niño Pinto, Leyton | Tlacolotl, Ecuador

Venue: Somewhere in Ethane to be decided worryingly close to kick-off

RÚI DE LAS ROVAS
Season Two is here - what are the famous Raza family up to now?

Our famous vintage comic strip is back for a modern reboot. The Raza super agency, fresh from almost starting World War Three between Russia and Monaco, is back in ’Switzerland’ with swanky new offices in Infantino Towers, where Rúi Raza, the sprightly old man of the family aged 144 years old, is choosing new gold-flaked marble tiles for his office bathroom, and has brought his great-granddaughter along to help out, chauvinistically assuming that being the woman of the family, she would have better taste in home decor. Rita is not best pleased to have come rushing to his office in response to his ‘EMERGENCY!!! I NEED HELP!!! text to her mobile phone, as she was just signing off on the paperwork to get washed up client Edison Cavani, who’s knees are shot, to sign for superclub big spenders Manchester United. Rita knows she can rinse United because they are hopeless in the transfer market, and the last thing she needs is Rúi giving them time to realise what a mistake they are making by taking her focus off the transfer market and onto his stupid bathroom tiles. Meanwhile, as a busy transfer deadline day looms, young hotshot manager Frank Lampard of Fancy-Pants Chelsea tells Roni he’ll sign just about any Kepa in the world right now to save on the optometrist fees for his current number one, Kepa Warizdeballagon. Read on for more drawn delights!

1Or TG Tequilo - really, do! We guarantee to read every letter, and print or paraphrase or misquote each of them.
Last edited by Tequilo on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
::: FORGOTTEN BUT NOT GONE :::
BECAUSE BECAUSE BECAUSE

Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sylestone » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:40 pm

Take the pressure down! It's only the Round of 32 in the Cup of Harmony, after all. Cutoff for those playing in Sylestone in the round of 32.

Sargossa 2–2 Poafmersia (2–2 AET) (4–3 pen.)

TJUN-ia 1–2 Vdara

Flavovespia 2–0 Tioguldos

South Newlandia 5–4 Mercedini

New Lusitania 4–1 Graintfjall

Krytenia 1–0 Omerica

HUElavia 0–0 Kohnhead (0–0 AET) (4–3 pen.)

Taeshan 1–0 Sarzonia

Round of 16 Matchups

Sargossa - Vdara @ Sentient Oval, Kirkham

Flavovespia - South Newlandia @ Carson Stadium, Cleorough

New Lusitania - Krytenia @ The Trees, Pesfield

HUElavia - Taeshan @ Chamberley Institute of Sport, Chamberley
Last edited by Sylestone on Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Ethane
Minister

Founded: Sep 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethane » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:05 am

Turn turn turn. Wait, this isn't racing. Some of you may still need to turn your form around though. Good luck! Cutoff for Round of 32. Just a reminder that there is 4 days until the round of 16. Sylestone is on holiday so please direct any inquiries to me.

Xanneria 3–2 Megistos

Ethane 0–0 Sylestone (0–0 AET) (3–4 pen.)1

Mavinet 2–1 Jeruselem

Valladares 3–3 Maccian (3–3 AET) (8–9 pen.)

Astograth 1–0 Zeta Reka and Hugeltaldom

Electrum 2–0 Tequilo

Squidroidia 2–0 Abanhfleft

Tikariot 2–3 Northwest Kalactin

1: Scored by a third party.

Xanneria vs Sylestone @ The Marianne Detreux Stadium, Southern Hampton

Mavinet vs Maccian @ Newton-Smith Arena, Letson

Astograth vs Electrum @ Brannigan Stadium, New Sarum

Squidroidia vs Northwest Kalactin @ The GLENT Arena, Deloitte
Last edited by Ethane on Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Esportivan and Proud.
<drawk> If the entirety of the nation of Ethane was covered in a single cubic foot of Ethane on its surface, lighting it all on fire would cause a 5.44 megaton blast.
Best WorldVision Finish: 2nd. Best World Cup Finish: Quarter-Finals. Best KPB Rank: 8th. Best WBC Finish: 1st.

Squidroidia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2020

Postby Squidroidia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:10 am

Even Kyushichi couldn't believe it. As the team exited the stadium, the soon to be retired Squidroidian goalie saw the scoreline again. Abanhfleft 0, Squidroidia 2. His possibly last clean sheet as a goalkeeper. Up next on the Squidroidian docket was Northwest Kalactin - Before the Round of 32 game, a rematch between 2 IAC sides, one reaching 3rd place and the other plummeting to 3rd in the group, that pre-qualification friendly against the AO side, that was the last time a Squidroidian team kept a clean sheet in any match; the last time it happened in a competitive match was their infamous 5-0 smashing of the Gothanita Isles in the Baptism of Fire 3rd place game a year ago.

In fact, Squidroidia were the last team remaining from that Baptism of Fire in this tournament. Megistos? Had a heartbreaking 3-2 loss to Xanneria when their Under-18s coach, who pulled off miracles in the Sporting World Cup, was being considered for the Sarzonian job, one that is more likely by the day due to their Round of 32 exit against Taeshan. Tioguldos, the same team who knocked out the Inklings in the Baptism semis? A 2 goals to nil loss against Flavovespia. The defending Baptism of Fire champions in Græntfjall? Swept aside by New Lusitania. And Tikariot, the team that many predicted would win the tournament before losing in the quarters to the eventual champions? They would lose to Northwest Kalactin to get them in this position - A Round of 16 deathmatch at the GLENT Arena against the Inklings.

It was Squidroidia's 3rd straight appearance in the Round of 16, the last 2 times, IAC X and the aforementioned Baptism of Fire 73, they would be knocked out by the eventual runners-up in the Semi-finals and would get 3rd place against independent(ish) opposition. It was also their 4th straight game against higher ranked opposition, if it weren't for the Orion Islands it would have been their 11th straight. Their record against these higher ranked opponents starting with New Lusitania? 2 wins, no draws and one loss. Over their past 10 games against higher ranked opposition, however, it was a different story - 4 wins, no draws, and 5 losses, 3 of which came in their abysmal end of their qualification campaign. They were more likely to lose than to win against better opponents, but when it counted they would more likely than not punch above their weight.

Even in the transfer window Squidroidians were thrown around like cards at a poker game. Ohashi Kiichi, the Squidroidian starting left winger, went to Astrograth for 1.5 million Yen. For 250 thousand more supposed Squidroidian 3rd choice keeper after the tournament Hiryama Shunji went to Zenit Attawapiskat in Quebec. 2 Squidbreak members both jumped the pond to Tioguldos, Ryou Minami to Pmig Enako and national team star Toujou Shihei to Draspa Moipas, both joined by former Midnight member Yoshirou Kato going to AR Rokih. But the biggest surprise of all came from Murphtannia. Not only did AFC Walsall United grab another Squidbreak member, Yoshirou's younger brother Naoki on a free transfer and West Brum got the signature of Squidbreak Football School winner Naruhito Serizawa, but they pulled off the biggest surprise seen in the window so far. Makino Hideo, Squidroidia's starting left winger, a top scorer, league champion and league MVP for the Walstreim Lions in South Newlandia, was heading to Murphtannian Premier League powerhouses Villa.

As such the national team now represents more countries than ever - Not only Squidroidian clubs are featured, from lowly Octo Valley FC to the Squidbreak, but also players who will play in Tioguldos, Xanneria, Astrograth, Murphtannia and potentially even Tikariot, Ko-oren and Quebec in the future, depending on if Toshikuni goes to Dhun Lagarr and Tadataka jumps to Branvon. Keep in mind he also has the option to go to the Kinetik Islanders in South Newlandia, taking Hideo's place as Squidroidia's representative in the South Newlandian Soccer League. It has been heralded by Squidroidian manager Ryuzaki Mito as the most diverse lineup the team has ever had, at least in terms of nationalities of the clubs they play in. Meanwhile their opponents, Northwest Kalactin, have players who play in Northwest Kalactin, Audioslavia, Baker Park and Farfadilis. In total, this match will feature players who play their club football in 9 different nations, all with their own qualities that make them unique.

Of course, these 2 teams have played before, a 0-0 draw in a pre-WC86 qualifiers friendly in Inkopolis. But this is their first competitive game against each other. Pundits are predicting that Northwest Kalactin will edge the Inklings, but Squidroidia, as seen before, can punch above their own weight if needed. Could they make their 3rd straight quarter-finals appearance to take on either Astrograth or Electrum? Only time will tell. But this is a match both teams won't forget, whether or not they win or lose. Only Margaret knows, and Margaret can't tell you until the game is over.

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Breaking News From SportNight!

Postby TJUN-ia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:48 am

TJUN-ia 1-2 Vdara (TJU: Green 19'/VDR: Scafididis 12', Lazelis 79')

intro music plays

Luka Olson: Good evening and welcome to this special edition of SportNight on TM1, your no.1 source for all things sport across all 3 universes of TJUN. I'm Luka Olson and while the Jaguars may have fallen in The Trees of Pesfeild against the ghost pirates of Vdara, the story isn't over just yet. Why? Because FA-TJUN-ia, the governing body of football within the International Community, has just elected a new head and it will be whoever this is who will lead today's press conference in TJUN-ia City about the future of this sport. We can now go to the National Stadium where reporters are on the scene and it looks like we're just about ready to go so we'll let...whomever take it away.

Jackson Levi-Holt: Good evening ladies, gentlemen, whomever and I would like to thank all of you for coming to this conference today. My name is Jackson Levi-Holt and after a democratic vote taken by the Football Association of TJUN-ia this morning, I have been elected as the first Chairman of the Association in its 6 years of running in U3 terms, 1 year in U1 and U2. If you don't know me, then that is understandable: the goings-on at the FA are not really in the public eye but I can assure you all today that I am more than qualified to take this position of power with the governing body. For the past few years, I was Head of Footballing Development and I was the one who kickstarted TJUN-ia's participation in the Di Bradini tournament and the selling of multiple TJUN-ian players to clubs across the multiverse for free, where they have seen the rigours of domestic football at first hand. I believe that the work the players did in their respective leagues across U3 has helped TJUN-ia as a footballing nation and it shows in our ranking as the 55th best side in the WCC before the most recent Cup of Harmony.

It was sad to lose to Vdara but it showcases a problem that needs addressing quickly. No, I'm not talking about the manager here. David Seems, Li Xiu Ying and the rest the staff have been great heroes of the TJUN-ian game ever since Baptism of Fire 71 and I was one of the members who approved the appointments of both Seems as Manager and Li as his assistant. Make no mistake, the lovebirds have done nothing wrong and will remain in their positions for IAC11 and WC87. The issue here is with the backups, the substitutes. Don't get me wrong, all of TJUN-ia's substitutes have provided great moments when they are required. I'm not suggesting that any of those players are not good enough to play for TJUN-ia, that would be preposterous. What I am saying is that while TJUN-ia's "Big Stars" - the traditional starting 11 plus Prince Carter and Archer Andrews - can go off to other regions and play competitive football, the others are forced to return to TJUN-ia and just...not play until the next major tournament. It is not the best situation and it is stifling TJUN-ia's development as a footballing nation.

Now, I know we cannot run a domestic competition ourselves as of now - that is a fact that cannot change at this present point. But what I do know is that I have a plan that might just work. I call it the "Three-Step Plan", and it goes like this:

Step 1: Current Substitute Development: This is where we are no and what we will do to start things off. All remaining players in the Senior team of TJUN-ia as of Cup of Harmony 78 will be made available as Free Transfers in the current Transfer Window, in order to be signed off to clubs across the U3 leagues. This will be the easiest step, as many clubs across the multiverse are taking part in this window and one of them will be interested in what TJUN-ia has to offer.

Step 2: Di Bradini and National Team Academies: Now this is the interesting bit that will decide how Step 3 works. TJUN-ia will continue to compete in the U21 World Cup, also known as the Di Bradini, as I personally feel that getting the next generation ready for competitive football is of the utmost importance. As for the players that played in the last tournament, they will return if eligible but with a twist. All 23 players will now be associated with one of 10 National Team Academies (or NTA's for short), based on the Region of their birth. It will be these 10 Academies that will develop a pipeline of young TJUN-ian talent that will eventually replace the players of now and they will co-operate with the Regional Governments in order to provide equal opportunity for all who enter the doors of the system.

Step 3: The Future and the Road to 23: As for the future, that is simple too. After the WC88 Cycle, the academies will send 5 players each to the Transfer Window no matter if they have been selected for the Di Bradini or not. This will keep the pipeline going, even if there is a backlog in terms of Di Bradini places. Additional, it is the aim of the FA to reduce the squad size of the senior side to 23 before WC90. Providing equal opportunities for players is important, but sending 30+ players to a football tournament is getting a bit ridiculous right now and it must be rectified soon. By the time we set up domestic competitions ourselves, this pipeline should be up and running and ready to provide players for the new leagues.

It won't be easy to do all of this however, we must if we are to keep up with our peers in the WCC. We have worked our way to being close to a top 50 team in this sport and I have no intentions of letting us slip down into the darkness we were once in. TJUN-ia will continue to exceed expectations and rise above to the elite. My major goal is simple with this system: to reach the WC Finals itself before the 90th edition. I honestly believe that this is achievable with the current talent we have the future we will build using my plan. As that letter in Chromia said, "The Era of the Jaguar has only just begun" and I will ensure that we step up to the levels of the elite. Thank you. GO JAGS!

SCHEDULE (Group D - All group games at The Bay Reserve, Betham, Sylestone)
MD1: vs Rangers FC (141) - W 1-0 (T-2nd)
MD2: vs Sarzonia (28) - L 0-2 (4th)
-------------------BOOT IT!-------------------
MD3: vs Yuezhou (118) - D 1-1 (4th)
MD4: BYE (4th)
MD5: vs Mavinet (73) - L 0-1 (4th)
MD6: vs Zeta Reka and Hugeltadom (77) - W 7-3 (4th)
MD7: vs Barunia (96) - W 3-1 (3rd/3W-1D-2L/+4GD/10pts)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
RO32: vs Vdara (50) - The Trees, Pesfield - L 1-2
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:57 pm

Lobato Launches HUElavia to the Last-16!

HUElavia 0-0 AET Kohnhead
4-3 PSO
(Rossi O, Bitencourt O, Hamada O, Gallego X, Cristiano O | Henderson O, Atkinson O, Cogginter O, Torgan X, Korkson X)
(Ground of Dunkirk, Dunkirk)

HUElavia came into the Round-of-32 facing a very daunting prospect of the knockouts: the winner of the match would play against the winner of Taeshan and Sarzonia, the #1 and #3 respectively. In the seeding, HUElavia was placed against Kohnhead, where it was #15 vs #18 in the draw. By standings, skills, and history, HUElavia was seen as the general favorite. Although, the team knew they couldn't get comfortable with their opponents. Kohnhead finished with a 3-1-2 record out of Group B, but they finished 3rd Place. HUElavia on the other hand was with a 3-1-2 record as well, but finished 2nd Place in Group F. The stadium was filled to the brim with fans, with a slight advantage for HUElavians in the stadium. The A-Team was played with Lobato in goal and Cristiano as the Captain. HUElavia played their traditional home uniform for the match, while Kohnhead also played with their home uniform. The ball rolled and the match was underway.

The match was 90 minutes of spectacular goalkeeping efforts by both Lobato and Sanders. Attacks from Kohnhead's Front Two of Korkson and Maltos had Lobato blocking them, making diving saves left and right. As the match went along, he just got bigger and bigger, looking as if he grew wings of an Angel, making spectacular saves. Sanders also stood her ground against HUElavia's Big Three of Cristiano, Hamada and Navarro. Shots and headers were a plenty, but Sanders became much like a brick wall and would not let the ball roll past her. Sissoko and Gallego would come on the pitch (for Navarro and Duran respectively) and also try the goalie, but she held her ground and also grew big. Extra time came, and Narazenko ended up with cramps that she had to go off and Bittencourt had to cover the remaining minutes. Despite this, both HUElavia and Kohnhead could not score against each other and the match ended 0-0, with a penalty shootout facing both teams. For this, we'll play the lines of Popular Commentator Vicenzo Avellaneda for his call for the shootout.

VA: "The Coin Toss has been done, and it looks like Kohnhead will shoot first, but they'll face the goal in front of the rabid HUElavians! Let's see if this can affect the match."
VA: "Henderson is stepping up in front of Lobato, the HUElavians are booing and whistling. She's going to run now... Goal. And the supporters of Kohnhead cheer."
VA: "Rossi is coming up to cheers of HUElavians. He's staring down at Sanders who stretches her arms. He's taking it with his left... Goal! The crowd cheers while he does the cross and praises God! 1-1!"
VA: "Atkinson is coming up to the chorus of boos. Lobato looks determined here. Atkinson steps up... And Goal. He sent Lobato the wrong was with a cheeky chip."
VA: Bittencourt is coming up now, she seems a bit anxious. Sanders is looking to pounce on that ball. She's taking the shot... Goal! Sanders got a finger to it, but it slid through! It's 2-2!"
VA: "Cogginter comes up now, the crowd wants to see Lobato make something happen. Cogginter takes the shot... And it's a goal. Blasted the goal way past Lobato's reach, almost breaking the net."
VA: "Hamada is stepping up, she's had a phenomenal tournament up to now. She stares at the ball. Sanders wants to stop her. Hamada runs up... Goal! She blasted it past Sanders with ease. 3-3!"
VA: "Torgan is coming up now. Lobato really wants to make a save here. Torgan looks like he wants to humilliate Lobato. He runs up... Lobato Saves It! The HUElavians are cheering with joy! Lobato wags his finger in denial while Torgan looks gutted! It's still 3-3!"
VA: "Gallego is stepping up. He looks jaded, but he wants to make an effort for the team. Sanders also wants to make something happen. Gallego shoots... And Sanders Blocks the Shot! The low shot was too easy to read! It's still 3-3..."
VA: "Korkson, the captain of Kohnhead, is stepping up. He wants to keep his nation going. Lobato looks determined to get a hand to the ball. Korkson runs up... Saved! Lobato puts a hand to the ball and sends the ball out! Korkson puts his shirt over his head! The next shot could end it!"
VA: "Cristiano is coming up now. The HUElavians are chanting his name, and Sanders looks anxious to make a save. Cristiano sets the ball down and kisses it for good luck. He's taking a step back. He's running up... GOAL!!! HE'S DONE IT!! A STRONG SHOT SENDS SANDERS THE WRONG WAY AND HUELAVIA TO THE ROUND OF 16!!! LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, GOD EXISTS AND GOD HAS HELPED GUIDE THE HANDS OF LOBATO AND THE FEET OF CRISTIANO TO PUT US FURTHER IN THE CUP OF HARMONY!!! WE WILL SEE YOU IN A FEW DAYS AT CHAMBERLEY!"

HUElavia will play against Taeshan, who won 1-0 against Sarzonia. The #2 and #1 will meet up for a spot in the Quarter-FInals in what may be a very historic and passionate match. The fans will come in droves once again. The A-Team will play, Lobato in Goal and Cristiano as Captain. The Home Uniform will be used once again. Here's to hoping and praying for another victory for Los Amarillos/Os Amarelos.

FORCA HUELAVIA! VAMOS HUELAVIA! GO HUELAVIA!
Last edited by HUElavia on Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sylestone
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Sylestone defeats cohosts - moves into Round of 16

Postby Sylestone » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:23 pm

Sylestone has somehow defeated their cohosts on penalties after a goalless draw, securing them a berth into the Round of 16. Both sides were quite even throughout the entire game, but Sylestone eventually prevailed more by luck than by good play. The Brick Wall was just unstoppable. New rankings have come out and Sylestone is sitting pretty in 113th, 21 places higher than where they were before this Cup of Harmony. But they have defeated some big names, such as Twicetagria and Ethane, so expectations are that they will move into the top 100 by this time next World Cup. We can only hope.
Ethane's forwards played very well in the first half of the game, but the solid Brick Wall was no match for them as he blocked every single shot at goal. Not even in the 25th minute when Ethane was given a penalty did it work. The ball rebounded off the Brick Wall and fell to the feet of the Stove, who ran the ball up the left-wing and towards the goal. Krueger, however, was smart enough to run directly up to the Stove, who panicked and shot for goal. The ball hit Krueger in the nuts but he was alright and rebounded and hit the Stove. Both fell to the ground, dazed, but got back up again at the same time to score/defend. No one else had come to their senses as they were too busy laughing at Krueger. The result was... not a goal. There wasn't any, remember? So it stayed 0-0 until half-time.
"WHY DIDN'T YOU SCORE. MISTER STOVE HERE KICKED THE FUCKING BALL INTO HIS FUCKING NUTS AND THEN ALL OF YOU JUST FUCKING LAUGH AND NO ONE FUCKING DECIDES TO GO UP AND KICK THE FUCKING BALL INTO THE FUCKING GOAL! WHAT WERE YOU FUCKING THINKING!!! WE PROBABLY JUST GAVE THE FUCKING GAME AWAY THEN AND THERE. BUT WE CAN DO THIS. GET THE FUCK BACK OUT THERE AND START FUCKING THINKING, OK? I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANY OF YOU UNTIL WE ARE THREE FUCKING GOALS UP."
The second half began and both sides continued playing the defensive way they were in the first half. There were no real opportunities until the 73rd minute when the Fridge took a corner kick that the Bar Stool deflected to Krueger in goals. Krueger deflected it right to the Tumble Dryer right in front of an open goal, but he somehow missed by about a metre. The Toaster yelled some more. "FUCK! FUCK! FUUUUUUUUUUCK!" The Tumble Dryer was sad. He had missed a goal. Full-time came and it was still 0-0, so extra-time ensued. Finally, for Ethane, Declan Smith slotted a shot past the edge of the Brick Wall and into the goal. But VAR called it offside. Half-time of extra-time passed and a final effort from Sylestone struck void as the game went into penalties.
The Mixer took the first shot. All his pent-up energy was released as he once again booted it 10 metres over the crossbar. Then Ethane scored. The Bar Stool stepped up and slotted it in and whispered to the Stove that "Fucking ball go in fucking goal" in imitation of the Toaster. Then the Brick Wall pulled off a spectacular save. 1-1 after two shots each. The next two shots from both nations were scored and it was 3-3 heading into the final shot of the main five. The Dishwasher stepped up and slammed it past Krueger. Declan Smith for Ethane then walked up. He knew that the pressure was on him. He booted the ball... straight into the Brick Wall. Sylestone were onto the Round of 16.
"Y'all played shit, but not as shit as them. Now we have Xanneria. They are very fucking good. They beat us 1-0. They haven't dropped a point yet. But we can do this. We have to."
Football: WC94 Qualifiers, CE35&36 semifinalists
Cricket: GCF WT20 XVI champions, ODI WT II semifinalists, GCF WT20 XV semifinalists, EspoT20 I&II champions
BoF 74, CoH 78, CoH 81, GCF WT20 XV, HWC 24, EspoT20 I&III

Northwest Kalactin
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Northwest Kalactin » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:41 pm

Kalactanians Beat Tikariot, Sednah Very Confident
Well, folks, the Kalactanians have pulled a win against Tikariot 3-2, and have managed to draw against Tikariot, who is another rising team.

The match itself was a very good one for the Kalactanians, as they played one of the best rising teams in the world. Tikariot had a much better WCQ run than the Kalactanians, and some say that they could’ve even been favored against the strong team.

Franklin Mosnyk would end up scoring the first goal for Tikariot, along with the first goal of the game, which took place in the 16th minute of the game. Mosnyk weaved through Kalactanian 1-1 specialist Matt Hall. The Fryi Frende defender was unable to stop the skilled Mosnyk, and he was able to get through and throw a floater over Mark Romero’s shoulder.

Luckily, 18 year old Kalactanian Star Thomas Butler was able to strike back just a few minutes later for the Kalactanian team, with a goal. Randy Kovalchuk did a poor job of marking Butler on a corner kick for Frank Owens, and he paid the price. Butler got free with his quickness and volleyed the ball into the net to even the match up for the Kalactanians.

Not much would happen until halftime, and it started to look like it may end up like the friendly match that the two teams had played before the qualifiers. The Kalactanians would win that match 1-0, and show their rarely seen defensive prowess against Tikariot.

Will Sanders is a special player. He isn’t seen much in highlight reels, but he always has an effect in the play. This time was no different. On a Kalactanian rush, the athletic Thomas Butler took a shot on goal, it was deflected by keeper Romain Chatelet. Sanders was there just when he needed to be there, and picked up the ball about 7 yards from the net. He sent a kick right where it needed to be. It wasn’t a highlight play, but this was one of those “dirty goals” that are always needed to win the game.

With the Kalactanians up 2-1, Tikariot was ready to get back in the game. Zion Grimes hit a free kick from 23 yards out in the 78th minute, and it went just where Romero was unable to grab it, with a perfect curve. The ball flew past Romero, and Tikariot was right back in it. With momentum.

Well, that momentum sure didn’t last long. Right off the kickoff, Sednah ordered a push forward, probably because he was mad about the most recent goal, but nobody knows. This surprised the Tikariot team, who panicked back on defense. Kalactanian Midfielder Frank Owens was able to make a move on the exact same Zion Grimes who had scored the minute before. Owens weaved through the defense, and chipped a shot over the keeper for a goal. 3-2.

The Kalactanians would go onto win the game, 3-2. It would not be an easy one though, as they would be forced to shift the momentum back into their favor many times, and Sednah’s tactics where disliked by many. He did lots of sudden pushed forward, which has caused quite a few teams to set traps and have a great counterattack on them. Nevertheless, we won the game, and will be moving on.

The next game will be against Squidroidia, who has one of the strongest performances for a first cycle team. They placed top 3 in the Cup of Harmony, and had an impressive qualifying run. They have lots of good players, and will be a tough test for Sednah’s boys.

Speaking of Sednah, he is very confident right now about the next game, especially on his favorite social media outlet, Twii.tur.

Image Jared Sednah
@sednah
- Squidroidia? I wasn’t aware we played nations that sound like aquariums

Image Jared Sednah
@sednah
- If we don’t beat this nation, I will actually take a shot to the balls from a BB Gun. No Joke
AO Lacrosse Invitational 2 Champions
World Twenty20 Championship X Champion
Cup of Harmony 78 Host
RP population: 23 million
AOHC 7
All India Cup 1
MAC 5&6
Gold Coast Basketball Tournament 1
World Lacrosse Championships XXXV
NSCF Mineral Conference
Coffs 7’s I

I don’t use NS stats
Kalactinator 1.00

Xanneria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 08, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Xanneria » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:14 am

Bring in the Mercs?
Exceprt from http://www.xtrasports.com/nationalteam.htm

There's been a talking point in Xannerrian Footballing circles lately. With the end of the Jeb Gyjorko era ending with quite a thud, it's seemed that the NT roster has dried up a bit as Gyjorko's insistence on using older players to the got run dry has hurt the team dearly. But with incoming Desmond Jennings as the new head of FLOX, we could see a new strategy employed by the Maroons. A controversial rumor has been planted in the media by unkown sources that the FLOX people may be trying to get players from nations who have had their Football associations dry up or straight up vanish naturalize as Xannerian citizens. The main players thought to be "targeted" are players from Qusmo and Donnacona. Qusmo having gone into a state of civil war while Donnacona has vanished without a trace, and many fear the same has happened to them. Their are currently six Donnaconnan national team member's in FLOX with Capital FC CB Isreal Kaur being the most notable. On the Qusmi side Jralv-Vlont Abe is by far the best Qusmi player and honestly, there is a need for some help on the keeper side. It will be a fascinating story line to follow with the new look Maroons coming up, look out for a young defender by the name of Bernardo Fransisco-De La Tomosa as no matter where he goes he's a sure lock for the new Maroons.

XANNERIA - 3
Presintino 58' 70'
Falcon' 61'

MEGISTOS - 2
Cringan 44'
Robertson 90+1'
Xanneria: My main nation
Teams
NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM: Maroons - Record 80-23-59 (W-D-L) (This may not be 100% accurate)
FIRST CONTEST: Copa Esportiva 23
FIRST GAME: Vangazaland 3-1 Xanneria
FIRST WIN: 5-3 vs Qingland
LARGEST MOV: 5-0 vs Pineapple Porcupines/ 7-2 vs Starcom Racing/5-0 vs HAIKU
CHAMPIONSHIPS:Baptism of Fire 69 (Nice!) winner / Group Winner CE24
Non Association Football Stats
NSCF TEAMS: Xannerian Polytechnic
NSSCRA: Cars #10,12,16

Flavovespia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 22, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Flavovespia » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:07 pm

Flavovespia 2-0 Tioguldós

Flavovespia made it through to the Round of 16 of the Cup of Harmony for a second tournament in a row, after defeating debutants Tioguldos 2-0. A good debut cycle for Tioguldos comes to an end, meanwhile Flavovespia move on, to match their best performance at the Cup of Harmony, so far.

Despite a 1-3 loss to Sargossa, only the one change was made to the starting XI, Stephen Shepherd took the place of David Blythe at the right back position. Other than that, there was no change, with Arnold Stevenson showing a much more rigid approach to his tactics than his predecessors.

The opening 15 minutes were tentative and cautious, but not necessarily negative. Both sides were content to keep men behind the ball, with Flavovespia keeping their back 4 rigid with little pushing forward from their full backs. Tioguldos meanwhile, kept their short, fluid passing game up, but were mindful to not leave space to be exploited on the counter.

It was a 17th minute set-piece that lead to the opener. James King sent in a free kick towards the box from just inside the left touchline. It was initially flicked on by Tony Gardner, but that header took a deflection. It landed just by Murad Ahmed, and despite shooting off-balance and leaning back, he steered the ball beyond the keeper, and crossed the line. It was a little scrappy, but Flavovespia had taken the lead.

Tioguldos weren’t out by any means yet, and were attacking with more men forward. Twice they came close with long shots, but the defence of Flavovespia were standing resolute, and not allowing space in behind to exploit. Nevertheless the shots from distance were sometimes on target, and Aarif Muhammad was showing he was up for the job, brushing off any nerves following a weaker performance against Sargossa.

The good spell for Tioguldos came undone in the 36th minute. One stray pass in the midfield fell to Steven Hall. His through ball set Christopher Ace away, leaving the defence stranded. Ace hit his shot hard and towards the corner. It beat the goalkeeper for pace, and flew just inside the far post. 2-0 now to Flavovespia, and they’d hold that lead to half time.

There was 45 minutes for Tioguldos to get the 2 goals needed to stand a chance of going through. However they found themselves up against a Flavovespia side more stubborn in defence, with their wingers now dropping back to assist the defence and defensive midfielders. Tioguldos were passing the ball well and retaining possession, but struggled to find the killer ball at any point to create a clear chance. Flavovespia meanwhile were set up to counter, with Ace looking dangerous early in the second half down the right hand side.

As the minutes ticked on, slower than they really were for Flavovespians, confidence grew that they could see it out. Christopher Ace had put in a great stint, and was loudly applauded by the fans as he was replaced by David Clark. William Somers also made a late appearance on the left wing. Tioguldos never gave up the fight to go through, and their fans cheered them on to the end, but ultimately they couldn’t get the first breakthrough to try and change the course of the game.

Flavovespia go through, the 2-0 result arguably deserved on the day, but Tioguldos certainly didn’t go out without a fight, and for a nation in their first cycle, have showed real promise. For Flavovespia however, they march on to the Round of 16. From the top of Pot 2, some would argue that not reaching this stage would be a disappointment, but it still took several good performances to deliver it. Now however, the team must look forward to their next encounter.

South Newlandia are the next opponents up for Flavovespia. This is their second cycle, and their second appearance at the Cup of Harmony. A good start in Group F saw them win 2 games in a one goal match. However a 2-1 loss and 2 consecutive losses in one goal matches meant they very likely needed a win against HUElavia, ranked 25th in the KPB rankings going into the Cup of Harmony, to qualify for the knockout stages. They did just that, with a 1-0 win (amazingly the fifth game of six they had this scoreline), and then faced off against Mercedini, ranked 31st in the KPB Rankings prior to this tournament. The team who’d scored 4 and conceded 4 in 6 games showed a complete reversal in attack and in defence, in a 5-4 encounter. South Newlandia were on the right side of that, with a second consecutive win over a Pot 1 side.

Robert Wolverine has been the one manager of South Newlandia so far, lining up his side in a 4-1-2-1-2 formation that usually plays a little more on the defensive side. The attack, which looked very strong last time out, will likely see Brandon Irving the main focus. The 23 year old scored that crucial goal against HUElavia, and if he can improve his consistency, will be a star for South Newlandia. South Newlandia do rotate a lot, and that’s seen the likes of Yoshi Kaperrama start, at the age of just 18. The back 4 and goalkeeper Mikhail Trischuk, also the captain, were the main players in the team that conceded just 4 in the group stages, but as they conceded 4 against Mercedini, there’s the possibility of changes by Robert Wolverine. Nevertheless, no matter what squad South Newlandia put out, Flavovespia will have to give their opponents the full respect they deserve, or else South Newlandia could have a 3rd upset in a row.
Formerly the Republic of Greater Waldster, internationally known as Greater Watford. IC It's a long story (OOC I didn't like using real place names)

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004

Postby Krytenia » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:48 pm

Nilmerica
By Rami Niblick in Halpenley, Sylestone

ONE swallow may not make a summer, but Krytenia's successful negotiation of the Cup of Harmony first knockout round does bring with it a number of positives. Not only did the Dragons win, but they did so with grit and determination, and a rare commodity around these parts; a clean sheet.

Omerica came into the game with a defensive mindset, wary of the Krytenian front three. Soraya Archambault was the fulcrum of the side, effectively acting as an advanced defender and looking to stifle the creativity of Cormac O'Neill and Daniel Moulier. The plan worked wonders in the first half, as Krytenia struggled to assert their dominance of midfield, being allowed to pass the ball around without the Incorrigibles giving Jerome Jaffacake-Phillips' forward line the space to receive and work the ball. Alan Belmwr looked starved, Neil Smith and Apollo Peters found themselves running into cul-de-sacs in wider areas, and Omerica were happy to sit back and absorb their opponents' attempts to play themselves into the game. What chances did come were half-chances at best, the men in sky blue and white reduced to taking long-range pot shots at Valentine Augustin's goal, which the Saint Anne goalie dealt with without too much of a sweat. At the other end, the rearguard action from Omerica meant a quiet first half for the Krytenian back three; indeed, Damien Carpenter's only touch came from a headed Joey Sinton backpass.

The second half began in much the way the first half had gone, with Krytenia having the lions' share of possession, but with little to show for it in clear cut chances. As the hour past, and the doughty Incorrigibles still frustrating the Dragons at every turn, Jaffacake-Phillips rolled the dice, taking off James Aitken and switching to three in the centre of midfield. Darren Harrison's entrance onto the pitch was a statement of intent, showing their opponents that they were quite willing to invite Omerica on if it meant unlocking the Archambault question.

The tactic worked excellently. With an extra man in midfield, O'Neill and Moulier were free to find space and make life difficult for the opposition defence. It wasn't long before the holes started to appear in the Omerican back line, and this allowed Neil Smith to do what he does best; create chances for his fellow forwards. Peters put one narrowly the wrong side of the post, Smith himself shot narrowly over with a rebound from a Moulier strike, and Belmwr smashed a thunderbolt into the woodwork.

Eventually, though, the breakthrough came. O'Neill's through ball found Smith in space, and although the Omerican defence forced him out wide, Smith still got a cross in which Belmwr happily converted to give Krytenia the lead. If anything, this seemed to snap the Incorrigibles back into life, and the game opened up as a result. Jean-François Fernand, hero of the infamous five-one drubbing, could have levelled the scores with four minutes remaining, forcing a smart save from the underworked Carpenter, whilst with gobs of space at the other end, Peters knew he should have done better than to smash the ball straight at Augustin when one-on-one with the keeper.

Victory means the Krytenians advance to the Round of Sixteen; and with Sarzonia out of the competition, and Taeshan and HUElavia facing each other, the road may just be opening up in front of the Dragons. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, though. Krytenia are a side that have flattered to deceive in recent times, and New Lusitania are no slouches. Let's hope the national team can actually keep some form going for a change, and advance to the Cup of Harmony quarter-finals for the second time in a row. Onward!

KRYTENIA - 1
Belmwr 73

OMERICA - 0
no scorers
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

Astograth
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Astograth » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:13 pm

Previously

“Electrum.”

Kiriano balked. “Electrum! We’re already playing them in the group!”

The Master rubbed the outer corners of his eyes and shrugged. “It is what I am shown. The land of gold and silver… with an evil at its heart.”

Kiriano frowned. “You didn’t mention evil before.”

“No… because it will be far from you. In another dimension, actually. And that is fine, that is how things should be. It is when the extra-dimensional enters this dimension – like the Armoured Bear King, or the Sentient Ball of Energy – that it becomes more complicated.”

“And how do you propose we defeat them?” Vaudrail spoke up. “Using a rifle was a joke, right? We can’t do that. And we need actual advice if you think we’ll play them twice.”

The mystic stroked his beard. “No, it is not a joke. You can buy one online, if you know where to look; I prefer Rabarra brand. It is the best way of getting rid of this variety of interdimensional pest. But if you will not, then I can do a reading.

Kiriano groaned. “Another bloody card reading? If that’s all you can do, we might as well call a fortune telling hotline.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” replied The Master, a sarcastic tone creeping into his voice. “I read the cards, I have visions, I can divine the future, therefore I must be a charlatan. ‘Oh, but how could you do that, that is scientifically impossible’. Please! My friend, it is you who is trying to play football against an android from another dimension. Where you may still run up against the appliances of Sylestone or the Great Calanian Vampire,” the man’s nose twitched, “Or Sargossa.”

Vaudrail intervened. “Or Squidroidia, or-”

“Why Squidroidia?” asked The Master.

“Oh, I was just mentioning strange teams, I thought-”

“What is strange about Squidroidia?” the mystic raised an eyebrow.

“Uh, the, em. They have inklings, right?” Vaudrail looked at Kiriano, who nodded. “Inklings. They’re not human.”

The Master scowled. “Well, I will have you know that Inklings are perfectly this-dimensional, and an oppressed minority in their own country. They will not be any kind of threat or challenge to you that humans could not also be.”

“I- I didn’t-” stammered Vaudrail, and let the silence trail away. He’d been told off and knew it.

“Then why’d you mention Sargossa?” asked Kiriano. “They’re human and… this-dimensional, I guess.”

The Master again raised his eyebrow and snorted. “How sure are you about either of those things?”. Before either could respond, he carried on. “Now pay attention, this is serious. For this second match of yours against Electrum I shall do a five rather than three-card reading. It is more complex. Look closely”. He snapped his fingers, and with a flick of his wrist began to scramble his divining deck. His one-handed cuts, inverted riffles and spiral shuffles did not convince Kiriano that he wasn’t in the presence of a jumped-up street magician.

Finally, he held forward an enormous fan of cards with both hands. The backs were a glossy black, with thin lines painting golden geometric patterns. “Choose,” said The Master, looking at Vaudrail. He drew one, held it up for the mystic to see, and followed his instructions on where to set it. Then Kiriano, then back to Vaudrail, and so on until five cards were arranged in a cross.

At the centre was the Ten of Batons, at the top the Four of Batons, to the right the Six of Swords, at bottom the Jack of Coins, and at left the Three of Coins. “All upright,” muttered The Master. His right hand, freed from its tricks, again stroked his beard. “Hmm”.

“Well,” he said after a pause, “the message here is clear”. He pointed to the bottommost card, the Jack of Coins. “You are big planners, yes, big dreamers? You are here after all.” The two managers nodded. “And you value youth?”

“I was a youth coach,” scoffed Kiriano. “Of course I value the youth.”

“We… could have called up younger players,” said Vaudrail, eyeing Kiriano from the side. “But yes, we are trying to shepherd a new generation”.

“With hard work,” suggested The Master.

“With hard work,” concluded Vaudrail.

“Good”. He tapped the card. “That is you as you are now, the values and principles you take into this tournament. You are ambitious, even if inexperienced. The Jack of Coins is a hopeful student, of the game in your case”. His index slid to the topmost card. “The Four of Batons depicts a canopy of flowers held up by four rods. It is the card of community, celebration, and stability. This is how you will arrive to your match with Electrum. You will have fought hard to reach this round of competition, and as a result your bonds will have grown stronger. There will be a cautious optimism among you.”

“Yes, yes,” said Kiriano, “all well and good, but the question is how do we beat Electrum. That’s what we need to know from you. And don’t cop out again by saying it’s up to Epherra.”

“Patience! It will become clear. At the centre of the cards,” - he set his hand upon the middle now -, “is the Ten of Batons. This is where you will be if you succeed. It is a man carrying a bundle of ten heavy wooden rods. He is tired and overburdened, but close to his destination. That will be you if you defeat Electrum – it will not be an easy feat, nor will the remainder of the tournament be easy, but you will be most of the way there.”

“This is obvious,” interjected Kiriano, teeth grinding. “If we win, before we win, whatever: How. Do. We. Win.”

The Master waved an arm in a broad circle. “The reading must be done in this order, one thing feeds into the other. There is a balance… a harmony. Now, for what you want: the cards show two paths. The leftmost is your path of success, the Three of Coins.”

“I don’t understand the picture,” interrupted Kiriano.

“I was going to explain,” said The Master dryly.

“Where are the coins?”

“These are arches within an old building, perhaps a palace or place of worship; the coins are circles carved into the tympanum”. He paused, and traced circles upon the card. “The tympanum is the area between the lintel and the ar-”

“Yes! The thing, I see it now. Go on.”

“Three people are discussing the construction. The Three of Coins is the card of teamwork, collaboration and partnership. That is your only key for winning this encounter. Your bonds of fellowship must prevail, and according to the other cards, you will be in a good position to do so.”

“Is that all?” asked Kiriano. His voice rose. “All these smoke and mirrors to tell us the solution is ‘teamwork’?! That’s the answer for any football match!!”

“You will recall that your striker alone will be able to win you at least one match. That will not happen here. And perhaps that is a challenge – you cannot rely on one, nor two, but all.”

“What is to the right?” asked Vaudrail, pensive.

The Master shuffled in place while clearing his throat. “The right is your path of failure, the Six of Swords”. He allowed a pause to settle. Vaudrail glimpsed two people on a small boat, one seated, the other ferrying forward with a long pole. Both of their backs turned. Six swords sticking upright from the bow. Their cargo? Their death blow?

He swallowed. “What does it mean?”

“Sadness, changes. Moving on, departures. That is the price, if you do not succeed against Electrum.”
Last edited by Astograth on Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:44 am

The Turnip: Science Blast: After A Lengthy Study, Researchers Have Found That Scoring Goals Makes You More Likely To Win In Football Matches
by Sweet-T, citizen journalist

Football fans rejoice! Esteemed scientists at the Electrum National University have discovered a shocking, unbelievable correlation between the number of goals scored by a team and their chances of victory in any one football match. They have cracked the code and through the research they have discovered that if one team scores more goals than the other team, then they will invariably win the match and advance to the next round of competition. Mind blowing stuff.

This is truly amazing science that we are seeing here.

This finding comes after a team of twenty sport scientists analysed over ten thousand hours of football matches. They had to develop a machine learning artificial intelligence to comb through all of the matches (because who can be bothered to watch a whole match of football?). After six thousand hours, the machine finally realised that whenever the ball was placed into the opposing team's netted area, the goal increment would always go up by exactly one. Then, it came to analysing who won, the machine learning algorithm realised that the celebrating team would always have their goal counter higher than the other team's.

Head researcher Asto Grath, whose eccentric habits include graphing and charting the maps of Rushmore (despite the fact that they have already been mapped at least a dozen times by Polar Islandstates cartographers), said that, "Every time a ball goes into the netted area, that's called a goal, and it seems like the team with the most goals can advance to the next round of the competition. You can tell that the team with more goals is the winner because they are always celebrating at the end of match, whether it is pulling off your shirt and pants, or indulging in a bit of recreational ethane if you are a Sylestonean.

It took so long for someone to figure out how to win in football!

It seems like the Electrumite team got the message of this groundbreaking research, as they saw first-hand how effective this strategy could be with their 2-zip victory over the mustard greens of Tequilo (by the way, the mustard green is clearly an inferior vegetable compared to the almighty Turnip) over in Ethane. Seb, the Sentient energy ball, scored the first goal by using its mysterious electrifying energies to enter the bottom ends of opposing players (electric rectums if you will), so that they would keel over conveniently for the Electrumites to score their first goal. Unfortunately, that sort of behaviour is quite frankly unacceptable, so Seb was promptly booted off with a red card. And then we scored a second goal but our DVR wasn't working properly so we don't know who scored -- but the important thing is that the Electrumites now know that they must score goals to win.

Unfortunately, the Electrumites did not figure this out earlier during their group stage matches, with Astrograph defeating the Electrumites 1-0 after a freak vortex gust of wind blew the ball straight out of the Astrographian goalkeeper's hands, above the heads of all the players, and directly into the goal on the other side. This is just evidence of outside forces at work.

Luckily, we just know that the cosmic powers that be will rule in our favour in the eternal courts, and that they will surely grant us a victory, with our lawyers using the law of averages to declare that we are due a victory against these dastardly wicked peoples. Much like we avenged our lost against the pachyderms of South Newlandia, the cosmic judge will mete out sweet revenge on Astograph, and give them the punishment they deserve for crossing Electrum during the group stage.
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports