NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] A Wild Ride

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

[Draft] A Wild Ride

Postby Drasnia » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:06 pm

Title: A Wild Ride

Description: Aging architect and hobbyist daredevil, @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. Wanting to go out on @@HIS@@ own terms, @@HE@@ has designed "The Euthanasia Coaster" - a rollercoaster built to end the lives of its riders.

Validity: Has euthanasia

Option 1: "It's simple really," @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ explains between labored coughs. "The coaster is an exhilarating ride that culminates in the passengers blacking out and then eventually dying - and painlessly, I might add! All I ask is for permission to construct The Euthanasia Coaster so I and other fellow thrill seekers can go out the only way we know how: in style."

Effect: people would rather be caught dead than to be viewed as unstylish

Option 2: "This makes a mockery of a very important, yet very sad, decision," interjects Dr. @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Grief can already be overwhelming to the families of the afflicted - making euthanasia seem 'exciting' and 'hip' will only exacerbate that grief. Euthanasia should only be performed by trained medical professionals."

Effect: many hospital patients have to wait around to die

Validity: Does not euthanize the elderly (861.1)
Option 3A: "Such efficiency brings a tear to my eye," says your economic advisor. "24 people killed - snap! - in a moment. With it and many more constructed across the country, we can institute a new social program: all citizens over the age of 65 will ride the coaster. Just imagine how strong our economy can be without the elderly leeching all of our resources."

Effect: retirement parties are held at funeral parlors

Validity: Does euthanize the elderly (861.1)
Option 3B: "Such efficiency brings a tear to my eye," says your economic advisor. "24 people killed - snap! - in a moment. We should begin constructing rollercoasters across the country so that citizens about to turn 65 are given more choices when going in for their mandatory euthanization."

And yes, it's a real thing (sort of).
Last edited by Drasnia on Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See You Space Cowboy...

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:48 pm

This is really weird. I like it. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:57 pm

I just saw a YouTube video on this, it's really interesting
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:54 pm

Bump.

I'm not really feeling Option 3. Any thoughts or ideas?
See You Space Cowboy...

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:00 pm

Euthanasia should only be performed out by trained medical professionals.

I think you tried saying "performed" and "carried out" at the same time. I am debating which word would sound better, as "carried out" has a rather mechanical feel to it, while "performed" sounds a little odd in the sentence, but that could be just me. I think "performed" by trained medical professionals" would be the safest route to take.

Option 3A: "Such efficiency brings a tear to my eye," says your economic advisor. "24 people killed - snap! - in a moment. With it and many more constructed across the country, we can institute a new social program: all citizens over the age of 65 will ride the coaster. Just imagine how strong our economy can be without the elderly leeching all of our resources."

Option 3B: "Such efficiency brings a tear to my eye," says your economic advisor. "24 people killed - snap! - in a moment. We should begin constructing rollercoasters across the country so that citizens about to turn 65 are given more choices when going in for their mandatory euthanization."

These options are horrible... yet I love them xD I think the option really fits in with the validity you have set and the subject of the premise. I'd advice you to leave it in, as it definitely adds dark, dark humour to the issue and frankly makes the issue fairly memorable.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Drasnia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:17 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Euthanasia should only be performed out by trained medical professionals.

I think you tried saying "performed" and "carried out" at the same time. I am debating which word would sound better, as "carried out" has a rather mechanical feel to it, while "performed" sounds a little odd in the sentence, but that could be just me. I think "performed" by trained medical professionals" would be the safest route to take.

Good catch! Changed it to 'performed'.

Daarwyrth wrote:

These options are horrible... yet I love them xD I think the option really fits in with the validity you have set and the subject of the premise. I'd advice you to leave it in, as it definitely adds dark, dark humour to the issue and frankly makes the issue fairly memorable.

Yeah, I was worried when writing them that they'd be too dark for NS. They might still be, I don't know. That's why I want feedback on them. I'm glad you like them though :)
See You Space Cowboy...

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:08 am

Naeh I don't think it's too dark for NS. :P

Is it dark? Yes. Is it darker than other issues we've currently got? I don't think so; I mean, we've got other issues enacting ritual sacrifice and geronticide.

Plus, you know, we have several of TMI's earlier issues which include acid terrorism and hunting down albinos for their magical properties, to name a couple off the bat. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:10 pm

The problem with something like this would be suicidal people riding it. Can we have a mention of that?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:37 am

This issue would be astoundingly brilliant if it was your own original idea, but essentially what we're doing is just referencing someone else's social commentary.

I think it's sensible and fine to satirise and reframe real world events. However, I've always been off the view that satirising satire often just comes across as plagiarism.

I'm very glad that you've introduced us to this thought provoking artwork, but I personally don't think there's anything to be gained from copy-pasting it into Nationstates.

It's kind of like if you wrote an issue called "LEADER Badman" where LEADER is falsely accused of sexual harassment after picking a rare Venus de Milo gummy bear that was stuck to the seat of the pants of his babysitter. All the Simpsons fans would go "hey, Simpsons reference", but actually in comedy terms, all we'd have done is wholesale plagiarism of a stronger satire.

This issue here looks great, till you realise that in artistic terms it's actually just a copy of a thought provoking and clever original work.

Rather, I'd suggest parking the idea of the euthanasia coaster somewhere, and in another issue somewhere else (which could be about something entirely unrelated), make a reference to it.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?