NATION

PASSWORD

Large explosion in Beirut - hundreds reported injured

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:47 am

Region of Dwipantara wrote:I'm pretty sure the "culprit" is these welding workers as documented by photograph, though that means the real culprit is gross negligence on the warehouse's side. Anyways, this will likely be "Lebanon's Chernobyl" that significantly increases resentment against the establishment.

I think the ultimate responsibility lies with the judges who ignored the opportunity to move the ammonium nitrate despite having received written requests to do so.

The port management were simply hosting the AN rather than having control over it. That said, they could have surely done something to make it safer.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:03 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Region of Dwipantara wrote:I'm pretty sure the "culprit" is these welding workers as documented by photograph, though that means the real culprit is gross negligence on the warehouse's side. Anyways, this will likely be "Lebanon's Chernobyl" that significantly increases resentment against the establishment.

I think the ultimate responsibility lies with the judges who ignored the opportunity to move the ammonium nitrate despite receiving written requests to do so.

The port management were simply hosting the AN rather than having control over it. That said, they could have surely done something to make it safer.

Dumping it in the harbor might work. It's an endothermic reaction meaning no chance of explosion. It might release NO2 which is a lot of fun, however is also an oxidant. Also dissolved ions of ammonia which I guess would kill all the fish ...

It's not the best option, I admit (and salt water would complicate the reaction), but it would have got rid of the problem with many fewer lives lost.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:08 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
I think the ultimate responsibility lies with the judges who ignored the opportunity to move the ammonium nitrate despite receiving written requests to do so.

Dumping it in the harbor might work. It's an endothermic reaction meaning no chance of explosion. It might release NO2 which is a lot of fun, however is also an oxidant. Also dissolved ions of ammonia which I guess would kill all the fish ...

It's not the best option, I admit (and salt water would complicate the reaction), but it would have got rid of the problem with many fewer lives lost.

Or, you know, sell it to other country or donate it to the military, like requested by the customs authority six years ago.

But even with the government authority completely clueless, the AN survived without exploding for 6 years. The photograph of the welding just seems ridiculously asinine, so preventable. But then again if this incident doesn't happen, that's just moving the ticking time bomb to the future.
Last edited by Region of Dwipantara on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:03 am

La xinga wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
So why are you suggesting it's anything other than the tragic accident it's being reported as?

I said it may be some rebellious youth, I'm not saying terrorism, although it could be.
Salandriagado wrote:
If you leave thousands of tons of explosive material sitting in poorly controlled conditions for years, bad things happen.

Years?

The ammonium nitrate has been in that warehouse since MV Rhosus was abandoned in 2014.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:04 am

La xinga wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
What makes you think it might be some rebellious youth? What evidence do you have for that?

Is there any evidence for a mistake? No? Exactly.

Yes. Lots. Specifically, they put ammonium nitrate in poorly controlled conditions and left it there for years.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:06 am

Salandriagado wrote:
La xinga wrote:Is there any evidence for a mistake? No? Exactly.

Yes. Lots. Specifically, they put ammonium nitrate in poorly controlled conditions and left it there for years.

Six years. And the fact that the customs authority already protested against that, and that they are ignored, and the terrible work security measures shown on the photograph....
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:09 am

Picairn wrote:I'm still not sure how the ammonium nitrate was contaminated with oil though, since it requires 4%-5% of oil to become an explosive.

Not quite. 4-5% oil content lowers the flash point to a level that's commonly achieved. There are piles of other possible contaminants that do the same thing, and uncontaminated ammonium nitrate still has a relatively low flash point (notably lower than the temperature achieved by, say, welding torches).

Also, before being in the warehouse, the ammonium nitrate was stored on a ship that was (a) damaged, and (b) legally declared unseaworthy. Oil contamination is not at all implausible.
Last edited by Salandriagado on Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:17 am

Just when Lebanon didn't need to get any worse, this explosion blows half of the city of Beirut off the earth.

That's their main seaport. Imports are gonna drop without it, thousands of people are homeless and I'm sure many jobs were lost when they were detonated without warning. I said it before here, but I dont see any recovery for Beirut from this explosion. With the state Lebanon is currently in as a country, i think that explosion was some strange symbolism of the final months of a nation.
Last edited by Borderlands of Rojava on Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:44 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Just when Lebanon didn't need to get any worse, this explosion blows half of the city of Beirut off the earth.

That's their main seaport. Imports are gonna drop without it, thousands of people are homeless and I'm sure many jobs were lost when they were detonated without warning. I said it before here, but I dont see any recovery for Beirut from this explosion. With the state Lebanon is currently in as a country, i think that explosion was some strange symbolism of the final months of a nation.

A lot of the buildings in the port area that were heavily damaged are simple steel frame sheds, which can be rebuilt in a matter of weeks once the bulldozers level the site. It isn't worth trying to repair the damaged sheds, it's easier and quicker to just level them and rebuild. The infrastructure of the port such as the cranes look intact, so it could be back to full operating capacity again in a month with enough men and materials for reconstruction.

The concrete grain silo is a different story. Alternative arrangements for grain storage will need to be made while that is levelled, as it will take far longer to rebuild that in comparison to the sheds, since it is a reinforced poured concrete structure. And it likely will need to be levelled, as it has taken severe damage and looks to be deformed beyond repair.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:46 am

Bombadil wrote:
Galloism wrote:Wait, they were welding next to a giant immense pile of ammonium nitrate?

"Jim, we need to update the safety manual.."

Did you see the picture they showed? The guy doing the welding wasn't wearing a face shield. The rest of them are just standing around looking at him....

forgetting for a moment they were welding around ammonium nitrate, Any safety inspector would have had a coronary before being able to stop them
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:47 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Just when Lebanon didn't need to get any worse, this explosion blows half of the city of Beirut off the earth.

You should avoid interpreting anything as a bad omen. Nothing good ever comes from that kind of thinking: either you're right and something terrible happens to Lebanon, or you're wrong and you feel like an idiot for believing in omens.

It's probably just this awful year, getting you down. :hug:

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:54 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Is that you speculating, or did you read that somewhere?

The welding is also unconfirmed, but it wouldn't surprise me, although each bag weighs approximately one ton.

They would pull up with a truck wheelbarrows and shovels no need to take the whole ton in one go.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:03 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:
The welding is also unconfirmed, but it wouldn't surprise me, although each bag weighs approximately one ton.

They would pull up with a truck wheelbarrows and shovels no need to take the whole ton in one go.

"They would" not "they did" I notice.

Just so we're clear, there isn't a credible accusation that farmers were stealing the stuff from the warehouse?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:06 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

Just so we're clear, there isn't a credible accusation that farmers were stealing the stuff from the warehouse?

Strictly speaking, it would have better if they had.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:10 am

Galloism wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Less left to go boom.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:16 am

Galloism wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Once it was seized by the state it should have been portioned out to the Lebanese farms.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:32 am

Galloism wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Or if the government had given it away ... er, but only to farmers.

Donkey carts only. Trucks will not be served!

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:34 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

You should avoid interpreting anything as a bad omen. Nothing good ever comes from that kind of thinking: either you're right and something terrible happens to Lebanon, or you're wrong and you feel like an idiot for believing in omens.

Not an omen, no magic was involved. But the explosion is what a state in collapse looks like. Everything goes wrong, people lose everything and no recovery is made. I'm not the only person who thinks Lebanon is in a state of collapse. They've been saying it is for over a month now and I'm pretty sure a majority of Lebanese citizens would agree with me that there isn't much hope left for their country.

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

No State Here
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby No State Here » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:38 am

I don’t know where but I remember reading somewhere that some ancient Greek inscription warned of 2020 being a cursed year

Anyways, this is really shitty as it could’ve easily been avoided by taking basic care of the warehouse
Abolish NSG

New York Anarcho-Capitalist Minarchist, not an Ancap anymore
Theme
Anthem

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:53 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Not an omen, no magic was involved. But the explosion is what a state in collapse looks like. Everything goes wrong, people lose everything and no recovery is made. I'm not the only person who thinks Lebanon is in a state of collapse. They've been saying it is for over a month now and I'm pretty sure a majority of Lebanese citizens would agree with me that there isn't much hope left for their country.

Well OK, I won't argue with public opinion. The explosion may have been started by some welders; that would support the idea of a failing government: the Ammonium Nitrate was government property but wasn't being guarded (at least in times the warehouse was open), there wasn't a permit system requiring the warehouse manager to inform or seek permission before doing anything near the NH4NO3, there may not have been warning signs posted. There are multiple failures (not just the government) but. Do we know the exact same thing couldn't have happened any time in the last 6 years?

It was a disaster waiting to happen. So it happening NOW doesn't have any special meaning.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:04 am

No State Here wrote:I don’t know where but I remember reading somewhere that some ancient Greek inscription warned of 2020 being a cursed year

Anyways, this is really shitty as it could’ve easily been avoided by taking basic care of the warehouse

They didn't even really need to properly guard the warehouse. If they had disposed or used the ammonium nitrate, this whole event wouldn’t have happened either.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:23 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... -now-this/

This blast made things worse than they already were in Lebanon.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:24 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:

Well OK, I won't argue with public opinion. The explosion may have been started by some welders; that would support the idea of a failing government: the Ammonium Nitrate was government property but wasn't being guarded (at least in times the warehouse was open), there wasn't a permit system requiring the warehouse manager to inform or seek permission before doing anything near the NH4NO3, there may not have been warning signs posted. There are multiple failures (not just the government) but. Do we know the exact same thing couldn't have happened any time in the last 6 years?

It was a disaster waiting to happen. So it happening NOW doesn't have any special meaning.

It really does though. The current state of affairs in Lebanon was in the making for years.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:30 am

No State Here wrote:I don’t know where but I remember reading somewhere that some ancient Greek inscription warned of 2020 being a cursed year

It’d be interesting if all coronavirus cases suddenly disappear at exactly 12:00 AM on January 1st 2021, and every single person who died was resurrected

As a zombie
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:33 am

Massive expansion destroys Main Port in Failing Arab State, Let's look at what we know.
Hezbollah- A Terrorist Organization responsible for countless attacks on Israel.
Lebanon- A failing state That hates Israel and claims they have nothing to do with it.
Israel- Claims they have nothing to do with It.

Now let's speculate a little, What could have happened.
A Freak accident- Wow High Explosives stored improperly cause big explosion who would have guessed.

Oh Hezbollah- Hezbollah is known to launch Rocket attacks from Schools, Hospitals, and other Places Illegal to Launch Rockets from to prevent Israeli Retaliation. So is it to much of a Stretch to Suspect they also store Rockets where they don't belong?

Israel does it again- This very well could have been the work of America's Favorite Jewish Nation. But they Denied it so It's most likely not them.

Wow They made a Nuke- This is a joke but it would be funny if Lebron got a nuke and Instantly blew themselves up by mistake.

So What now? We wait to know more before we do anything crazy. If this is the Death Blow of Lebanon I think Israel should annex the country to handle Hezbollah and to keep the people from starving. There's no reason Israel can't be for the Lebanese, Palestinians, and Jews.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General