NATION

PASSWORD

Merriam-Webster to Redefine Racism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:14 am

No State Here wrote:
Plzen wrote:"Left" and "right" are relative measures and not qualities inherent to any given position. Arguing where the border between left and right lies is an utterly meaningless semantic argument. I'd argue that there is no such thing as an objectively centrist position and that "what the median voter believes" is the most reasonable possible interpretation of "centrist politics".

The Democratic Party fields candidates in US elections, and the Democrats are definitely to the left of the median citizen eligible to vote in such elections. It simply doesn't matter what Biden's stances look like compared to Palme's or Attlee's stances, because the US Democratic Party don't run in the same elections as the SAP or Labour.

I cringe when people think they have transcended American politics by calling Joe Biden "conservative'

Biden is a radical centrist. He's good at trying to please everyone by giving a half assed washed down opinion. For example, "segregation was bad but I knew some segregationalists and they were good guys." I mean my speech would have been more like "segregation was evil and segregationalists were pieces of shit that the world is now better without," but Biden is trying (and has at several points failed) to portray a nice guy image.

Beyond his "I'm everyone's friend" shpeel, Biden still supports free trade and global enterprise and is by no means a reformer or radical. Yes, he is left wing by American standards since he's pro gay and pro trans in a nation where half of people still think being gay is a sin, but in more civilized countries he would be pretty centrist. I myself would not call him conservative unless he's living in the USSR, but by modern western standards he is a centrist.
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

No State Here
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby No State Here » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:24 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
No State Here wrote:I cringe when people think they have transcended American politics by calling Joe Biden "conservative'

Biden is a radical centrist. He's good at trying to please everyone by giving a half assed washed down opinion. For example, "segregation was bad but I knew some segregationalists and they were good guys." I mean my speech would have been more like "segregation was evil and segregationalists were pieces of shit that the world is now better without," but Biden is trying (and has at several points failed) to portray a nice guy image.

Beyond his "I'm everyone's friend" shpeel, Biden still supports free trade and global enterprise and is by no means a reformer or radical. Yes, he is left wing by American standards since he's pro gay and pro trans in a nation where half of people still think being gay is a sin, but in more civilized countries he would be pretty centrist. I myself would not call him conservative unless he's living in the USSR, but by modern western standards he is a centrist.

His approach is actually working. Many people on the left and right are turning towards him, and NSG is hardly representative of the majority of people.
Abolish NSG

New York Anarcho-Capitalist Minarchist, not an Ancap anymore
Theme
Anthem

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:26 am

No State Here wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

His approach is actually working. Many people on the left and right are turning towards him, and NSG is hardly representative of the majority of people.

Unfortunately they are turning toward him, but it isnt his approach as much as it is Trump being a shitty president. I guarantee you many of the things happening under Trump will happen under Biden, but we'll go back to pretending that America is a free country and we'll claim we're in Syria fighting for justice and not for oil. That's why I'm not excited for Biden. It's like having Trump but without the nasty rhetoric. :idea:
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana
Minister

Founded: Sep 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:28 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
No State Here wrote:His approach is actually working. Many people on the left and right are turning towards him, and NSG is hardly representative of the majority of people.

Unfortunately they are turning toward him, but it isnt his approach as much as it is Trump being a shitty president. I guarantee you many of the things happening under Trump will happen under Biden, but we'll go back to pretending that America is a free country and we'll claim we're in Syria fighting for justice and not for oil. That's why I'm not excited for Biden. It's like having Trump but without the nasty rhetoric. :idea:

Tbf Assad is a better alternative to the """""""Free"""""""" Syrian Army. At least he lets Christians exist without mass murdering them
Not an adherent of Italian Fascism anymore, leaning more and more towards Falangist Syndicalism
Corporatism and Corporatocracy are completely different things
9axes
Pro: Falange, Command Economy, Class-Cooperation, Cultural Nationalism, Authoritarianism, Third Positionism, Border Security
Anti: Communism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Trump, Globalism, Racism, Democracy, Immigration

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:31 am

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Tbf Assad is a better alternative to the """""""Free"""""""" Syrian Army. At least he lets Christians exist without mass murdering them

He’s the lesser evil, doesn’t make him good. Then again, Syria sets a low bar
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Free Northwest Sovereign
Attaché

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Northwest Sovereign » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:34 am

No State Here wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:The ultimate "moving the goalposts"

I can see this being used by people who want to defend the Kentucky Governor’s racist proposals

Really convenient timing for him I must say

Are you suggesting that one of the biggest dictionaries in existence added a definition just to help one governor of an insignificant state by posting something that:
A. Will not be seen by many people
B. Does not clear him of anything
And this could not possibly be related to any significant event that has happened to which the idea could be applied. If you actually look at it, there's no part that clears anybody's wrongs, instead putting more responsibility on powerful institutions. How do you maneuver such confusing mental gymnastics?
Last edited by Free Northwest Sovereign on Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Free Northwest Sovereign
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Northwest Sovereign » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:49 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
No State Here wrote:I cringe when people think they have transcended American politics by calling Joe Biden "conservative'

Biden definitely isn't anywhere close to left wing and he's not conservative now either. His opinions are right in between those of anybody reasonable enough to not vote for Trump. He's always been relatively moderate. When Obama, a conservative, was around he was liberal. When he went against the more progressive Bernie Sanders, he was still in between Justice Dems and Blue Dogs. Democrats have been a big tent party for the last several decades, so his views are very far from radical for a reason.

The political spectrum changing by country is a tool, not a reality. Authoritarian and revolutionary leaders can choose how they are perceived by shifting what is held to be reasonable, but all of politics still exists on the same planet in one universe. If a far right movement is in control, centrists are not suddenly far left and communism is only as leftist as it was before. Changing normal values is a method to persuade people into doing irrational things under the guise of following part of the crowd.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:52 am

Free Northwest Sovereign wrote:Obama, a conservative

:meh:
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:20 am

Free Northwest Sovereign wrote:The political spectrum changing by country is a tool, not a reality. Authoritarian and revolutionary leaders can choose how they are perceived by shifting what is held to be reasonable, but all of politics still exists on the same planet in one universe. If a far right movement is in control, centrists are not suddenly far left and communism is only as leftist as it was before. Changing normal values is a method to persuade people into doing irrational things under the guise of following part of the crowd.

Nonsense. "Reasonable" is what the populace defines it to be.

If you hold that it is not, then define "centrism" and "reasonable policies" in a way that doesn't rely on subjective opinion.

Free Northwest Sovereign
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Northwest Sovereign » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:55 am

Aureumterra wrote:
Free Northwest Sovereign wrote:Obama, a conservative

:meh:

Being black=/=being left wing. His presidency was a less disastrous continuation of Bush's. Ideologically speaking, he already identifies with moderate Republicans and has praised Reagan. A lot of his views and policies were shaped around both older Republicans ideas and the current right wing establishment. His farthest left ideas, like Obamacare, fell short by a lot and not enough of Bush's warhawk policy or authoritarian policing were changed. Yes, he's still moderate for a conservative, but he doesn't lean left. Public perception and reality are two different things. Congress and his base forced his hand a lot while Republicans adopted more radical stances to separate themselves.
Plzen wrote:
Free Northwest Sovereign wrote:The political spectrum changing by country is a tool, not a reality. Authoritarian and revolutionary leaders can choose how they are perceived by shifting what is held to be reasonable, but all of politics still exists on the same planet in one universe. If a far right movement is in control, centrists are not suddenly far left and communism is only as leftist as it was before. Changing normal values is a method to persuade people into doing irrational things under the guise of following part of the crowd.

Nonsense. "Reasonable" is what the populace defines it to be.

If you hold that it is not, then define "centrism" and "reasonable policies" in a way that doesn't rely on subjective opinion.

Using an objectivist argument just shows that you don't have any logic to back it up. If that were true, then no country with an even number if parties has a moderate party. You can't point at a picture of Bill Clinton and Adolf Hitler and tell me one of them was a communist. Relative progressivism does exist, but it is detached from the idea of two ideological absolutes. Centrism is the idea that things that are detrimental to broad values that most people agree on while keeping things that aren't. Very few people claim to be as evil as it gets and humanity has championed the same ideas of morality for as long as recorded history. Nobody says they hate safety or freedom, but the far left might abolish institutions that are beneficial to safety while the far right may create institutions that harm freedom.

And unless you really believe that morality is fake, don't use it selectively as a argument. It's kind of lazy and annoying.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:10 am

Free Northwest Sovereign wrote:Centrism is the idea that things that are detrimental to broad values that most people agree on while keeping things that aren't.

Broad values that most people agree on

In short, centrism is the defence of popular policies and is defined subjectively.

Free Northwest Sovereign
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Northwest Sovereign » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:24 am

Plzen wrote:
Free Northwest Sovereign wrote:Centrism is the idea that things that are detrimental to broad values that most people agree on while keeping things that aren't.

Broad values that most people agree on

In short, centrism is the defence of popular policies and is defined subjectively.

Not policies, ideas. Being humane is a value, providing services to the unfortunate is an action. Part of the reason why Vermin Supreme is amusing is that the act provides commentary about how politicians lie and fail to fulfill promises or be specific. Vermin openly admits that he isn't going to make America free, great, or equal, unlike any real politician (or regular human being). He says things that have been vaguely said for all of civilization's existence and instead provides simple and direct policies that would theoretically match up with what he claims. Rather than accusing opponents of being communazi traitors, he uses nonsense to fight the ingenuine seriousness of poltics. Policies change, human nature doesn't.

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 am

Conterale wrote:Power + Prejudice is institutional racism, not just racism.

Racism is a more broad category.

Agreed. If you want to talk about institutional advantages, that is the correct term. Racism on the typical scale is just a person or group having prejudice.
Last edited by The Reformed American Republic on Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:04 pm

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

in what universe is assad not mass murdering people
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:38 pm

Conterale wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:
There's only one step further left economically they can go. Which is outright communism.

how stupid are you?
The Dems aren't even Market Socialists, they aren't even Social Democrats! (except maybe Sanders)
you might want to stop being sucked into the Fox "News" "Democrats are *literally* Stalinists" Hivemind

And yet they overwhelmingly support the peaceful and partial redistribution of wealth. The only step further left to go is the violent and total redistribution.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:40 pm

Conterale wrote:how stupid are you?
The Dems aren't even Market Socialists, they aren't even Social Democrats! (except maybe Sanders)
you might want to stop being sucked into the Fox "News" "Democrats are *literally* Stalinists" Hivemind

And yet they overwhelmingly support the peaceful and partial redistribution of wealth. The only step further left to go is the violent and total redistribution.

So do the Republicans, they just transfer it upwards.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:42 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:And yet they overwhelmingly support the peaceful and partial redistribution of wealth. The only step further left to go is the violent and total redistribution.

Really, the American parties support market activity in some sectors. The only step further right is to go for market activity in all sectors and just dissolve government.
Last edited by Plzen on Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:45 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Also, it amuses me to see her mock white genocide as a concept, when she said she herself prefers white genocide to what she sees as the alternative.

I don't believe in the whole white genocide thing, but it reminds me very heavily of the "the holocaust never happened, but even if it did, was it so terrible?" crowd.

The way I see it, it is more like "my morals dictate I'd rather be genocided than do the genociding." Haven't read anything of the sort that she supports white genocide.

I'm not sure she, the woman making the request, ever said that.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:49 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:The way I see it, it is more like "my morals dictate I'd rather be genocided than do the genociding." Haven't read anything of the sort that she supports white genocide.

The request to redefine? Honestly there's a large chance that MW's not gonna change everything.

Emphasis mine
Merriam-Webster wrote:Definition of racism

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles
b : a political or social system founded on racism

3 : racial prejudice or discrimination

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:51 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

The request to redefine? Honestly there's a large chance that MW's not gonna change everything.

Emphasis mine
Merriam-Webster wrote:Definition of racism

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles
b : a political or social system founded on racism

3 : racial prejudice or discrimination

No, about white genocide. She did request MW revise their racism definition.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:The request to redefine? Honestly there's a large chance that MW's not gonna change everything.

Emphasis mine

No, about white genocide. She did request MW revise their racism definition.

Can be discussed in another thread. This one's derailed as it is.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Locking for a thread crawl, stay put.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:40 pm

This thread has fallen so far off the rails that it's at the bottom of the ocean, despite several appeals to get back on course. I think it's best it stay Locked. Go argue about the political spectrum, genocide, etc. somewhere else.

The Twilight Embassy wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:Pal there are far worse places on earth than America. Would an anti racist like you wanna live in Turkey, Japan, Rwanda or Lebanon, far more racist than this nation is?

Shut the fuck up about Amerikkka "not being the worst." I don't care where this shithole country lands on in the spectrum of "best country" to "worst country." Congratulations, you're the best country, but you're still a shithole? That's not good enough. Do better or fuck off.

The Twilight Embassy wrote:The Left: "please stop using the N-slur and killing black people :("

Amerikkka: "Give me [the] liberty [to kill blacks and transgender people] or give me death!"

Me: "I'd rather die then be on the wrong side of history."

Amerikkka: "nuuuuu don't let yourself be killed by thugs and white genociders T_T"

Me: "Then don't trivialize trans women dying you stupid worthless bitch of a cuntry."

The Twilight Embassy wrote:Of course they wouldn't listen to the request to remove the 1st and 3rd definitions; MW are liberals, not BernieBrats.

*** Warned for Flaming, Trolling, Political Nicknaming ***

That is not how you speak on this website, no matter what it is you happen to be talking about or the position you're taking. And this:

The Twilight Embassy wrote:It doesn't matter what race I am; I'm not going to be spared regardless of who's killing who. So I'll take the genocide where someone gets petty revenge for genuine injustice over yet another chapter in the human history book of white people throwing a tantrum over other races existing.

Bear Stearns wrote:Not necessarily, but one user seems to be advocating for Zimbabwe as an acceptable conclusion to US racial issues.

Not advocating as an acceptable conclusion, but admitting that it'd only be the second-worst-case-scenario for me compared to the more-likely worst-case-scenario.

... came dangerously close to advocating death, which could have earned you a lot more than just a warning. Go read the rules now if you want to stay here.

Conterale wrote:
There's only one step further left economically they can go. Which is outright communism.

how stupid are you?

*** Warned for Flaming ***

Bear Stearns wrote:What the fuck is wrong with you?

This is very close to baiting, knock it off.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General