NATION

PASSWORD

Hcaptcha on forums: major accessibility problem

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Hcaptcha on forums: major accessibility problem

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:06 pm

Hello,

I've recently began getting the occasional captcha request on the forums. The system used, Hcaptcha, has a major issue when blind people and nationstates forums are combined.

1. Hcaptcha has decided it doesn't like audio challenges, and so uses an 'accessibility cookie.'
2. This cookie doesn't work on internet explorer.
3. Internet explorer is about the only web browser that provides a good experience on the ns forums with jaws screen reader.
4. To solve one of these challenges, I have to log out on IE, log in in chrome, attempt to find the thread (which is difficult with the combination of chrome+ns+screen readers), load an 'accessibility cookie' that's single use and is emailed to me, and then make my post.
So, what I'm asking is, please can we get rid of it? It's causing a massive accessibility problem for me.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:11 pm

I believe we have a code that suppresses Captchas on specific nations. I know we had one that worked on the Challenge Game captchas - not sure if this is different. File a GHR with a list of nations (or just this one, but keep the list fairly short), and we'll try to figure it out.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:00 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:I believe we have a code that suppresses Captchas on specific nations. I know we had one that worked on the Challenge Game captchas - not sure if this is different. File a GHR with a list of nations (or just this one, but keep the list fairly short), and we'll try to figure it out.

I think this is something to do with clowdflare, rather than this. I have a programme on my computer which kills the sort of captchas that ns uses gameside, and most other forms of captcha, but seems to have a problem with hcaptcha. I can only imagine it's completely different from the ns captcha thing because unless it's refreshed regularly I'm quite definitely on the no-captcha list from various n-days, as well as a bunch of my puppets.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Return to Technical