NATION

PASSWORD

Ill-written and improper consequences of issues = GOODBYE

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Zornwil
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Ill-written and improper consequences of issues = GOODBYE

Postby Zornwil » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:23 am

Had it with stupid, ridiculously unintended consequences and the lack of quality control over issues. Early on I don't remember that happening. Then I came back after a long lapse to find too many poorly written issues with consequences completely out of context.

Too bad, it was fun, regardless of how silly, early on. But now the game breaks the greatest rule of story-games and roleplaying games, which this borders on, deprotagonizing and playing "gotcha" games with us.

So goodbye. Technically my nation was about to face apocalypse though it won't now because I logged in to post this.

It's not that I'm just complaining; I figure anyone who cares about keeping this game going might want to address such issues, though a perusal of the issues threads and lack of concern makes me doubt that. Too bad, I used to enjoy this.

The High Tatras
Senator

Founded: Oct 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The High Tatras » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:28 am

Zornwil wrote:Had it with stupid, ridiculously unintended consequences and the lack of quality control over issues. Early on I don't remember that happening. Then I came back after a long lapse to find too many poorly written issues with consequences completely out of context.

Too bad, it was fun, regardless of how silly, early on. But now the game breaks the greatest rule of story-games and roleplaying games, which this borders on, deprotagonizing and playing "gotcha" games with us.

So goodbye. Technically my nation was about to face apocalypse though it won't now because I logged in to post this.

It's not that I'm just complaining; I figure anyone who cares about keeping this game going might want to address such issues, though a perusal of the issues threads and lack of concern makes me doubt that. Too bad, I used to enjoy this.

I don't pay attention to the issues at all. I haven't answered any of them in months.
Last edited by The High Tatras on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:32 am

My original nation has issues from 2005 still in the queue.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Helltank
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Helltank » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:45 am

Could you provide examples of your grievances.
Fear the wrath of:
Supreme Overlord Helltank (International Incidents)
Ivy Beliazrael, WA-Demon-Delegate (General Assembly)
The Conniver, Shady Salesman Extraordinaire (GE&T)
Lord Sage, High Scholar (Factbooks and National Information)

Kesshite
Envoy

Founded: Jan 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kesshite » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:49 pm

My only issue with the issues is the constant need to shoe-horn in exclamation points and irreverent interstitials.

Example:

"These issues have too many exclamation points!" Kesshite yells while riding through your office on a unicycle as she juggles baby seals "We get it, this person is a fanatic! But you can express that without having them scream constantly!" She then pulls a baby grand out of her pocket and plays the Kalamazoo Kick. "This action has nothing to do with what I'm saying! But it's funny!"
Last edited by Kesshite on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|The Holy Wilderness of Kesshite |
Together, Under the Velvet Paw.

Helltank
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Helltank » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:07 am

Nationstates isn't meant to realistically simulate an actual nation. It's meant to be a satire and parody. Claiming issues are over-exaggerated is like saying that "hide in plain sight" Hitman video is unrealistic because you can't actually disguise as a potted plant...
Fear the wrath of:
Supreme Overlord Helltank (International Incidents)
Ivy Beliazrael, WA-Demon-Delegate (General Assembly)
The Conniver, Shady Salesman Extraordinaire (GE&T)
Lord Sage, High Scholar (Factbooks and National Information)

Zornwil
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Zornwil » Tue May 26, 2020 10:53 pm

An "interesting" example: decided to have elections for my successor after I die; suddenly autocracy is ended and we have elections for no obvious reason. The consequence was NOT "the people are so excited at opportunity and angry at not having elections they rise up and force elections." Nor was it a humorous or satirical consequence. Just suddenly no autocracy with elections for all offices. Neither amusing nor in any way an apparent line of cause and effect in any way. And there's so many of these.

Because it was asked...but I've given up and just seeing if this thing is any better these days and/or if I'll have some mindless dumb fun if I remember this is neither a game nor a satire but just a "click here for the hell of it" ... thing (like playing a game of War, the card game, by oneself, or playing 52 pickup by oneself).

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Tue May 26, 2020 11:01 pm

Zornwil wrote:An "interesting" example: decided to have elections for my successor after I die; suddenly autocracy is ended and we have elections for no obvious reason. The consequence was NOT "the people are so excited at opportunity and angry at not having elections they rise up and force elections." Nor was it a humorous or satirical consequence. Just suddenly no autocracy with elections for all offices. Neither amusing nor in any way an apparent line of cause and effect in any way. And there's so many of these.

Because it was asked...but I've given up and just seeing if this thing is any better these days and/or if I'll have some mindless dumb fun if I remember this is neither a game nor a satire but just a "click here for the hell of it" ... thing (like playing a game of War, the card game, by oneself, or playing 52 pickup by oneself).

The issue effects tend to be accurate in my experience, and we have community quality control with the unusual effects thread. I assume the editors go through checks too.

If it was simply a fun clicking game, then how come nations are able to manipulate their governments with such consistency?

edit: 461.7 is the issue in question, for those wondering
Last edited by Noahs Second Country on Tue May 26, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed May 27, 2020 12:44 am

Zornwil wrote:An "interesting" example: decided to have elections for my successor after I die; suddenly autocracy is ended and we have elections for no obvious reason. The consequence was NOT "the people are so excited at opportunity and angry at not having elections they rise up and force elections." Nor was it a humorous or satirical consequence. Just suddenly no autocracy with elections for all offices. Neither amusing nor in any way an apparent line of cause and effect in any way. And there's so many of these.

You told us you were leaving, and now SEVEN YEARS LATER, you are still here. I'm so worried that we are scaring everyone away. :roll:
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?