NATION

PASSWORD

The Land Of The Free: An American Political Roleplay (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:17 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:
To: [Rep. Atang], [Rep. Dietrich], [Rep. Simone], [Rep. Vohoffsky], [Sen. Anderson], [Sen. Dayton], [Sen. Frankston], [Sen. Goldman], [Sen. Merriam]
Subject: Updates on the Reapportionment Act of 2019

Hello All,

After recently talking with the Speaker, he gave a few recommendations to the bill. I'm reaching out to see how you all feel about them and if we want to add them to the bill. The first one was moving the first election year with the newly enlarged House from 2022 to 2024 and the second one was plainly writing out in the bill how many seats each state based on current projections.

I also want to notify all of you that I plan on adding in a section just making it clear that the states are required to draw the new congressional districts they would be getting under the bill, in line with another one of his suggestions. I thought that would be assumed, but you can never know. If any of you have any questions or concerns about this, just reach out to me.

Finally, Senator Dayton suggested to me that when I submit the bill into the docket we should do a press conference. I like the idea, if any of you would be willing to join me and Sen. Dayton for a press conference please tell me so I can decide if we should do something like that.

Ahehee' all,
Kathleen Nez

To: Rep. Nez

The GOP would likely oppose this bill as a whole, and I don't really want to make a song and dance about my sponsorship, especially as it is only really there due to the deal we cut.

Yours,
Sen Anderson

To: Rep. Nez

I am a bit busy for a Press Conference, sorry.

Yours,
Rep Atang

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:Atang watched the senate results on C-SPAN, exclaiming "Doyle you motherfucker!" when he saw his vote.

To: Rep. Simone

The hell is wrong with Doyle??

TO: [Representative John Atang]

I've got no idea, John, I'm poking Senate colleagues to try to figure out what his deal is. Not sure if the bill would have cleared the Senate either way but that's no justification for Doyle practically abandoning all hope anyway. You did good work on this bill either way.

Yours,

Carrie

To: Rep. Simone

For the sake of the Lord...
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:23 pm

Dentali wrote:Speaker Douglas
Capitol Hill

"Right then" Douglas said from his seated position, if he could straighten up more he would have, "We are here today because frankly the 2020 race is contentious and is threatening the cohesion of our party. Center-Left, or Far-Left or anywhere inbetween we are all on the same team here. To that end I have called this meeting as a show of unity to the nation and to the party. We will be drafting a piece of legislation, a gun control bill."

He took a few moments for all that to sink in "The objective of this bill is not to change the country, it is to provide change that the American people want and will have real effects on the public. This is not time for a contentious debate, this bill is not going to go as far as most of you want. What the objective of the bill is... the objective of the bill is to put Republicans in a tight spot, so they have a bunch of angry constituents who think they are more beholden to the gun lobby and the NRA than the kids they are sending to school. And when we have a democratic president itll be easy to get it done."

"This bill needs to be reasonable to the moderates and the centrists. Also importantly it will not include any Presidential candidates as co-sponsors they will be encouraged to support it but they are not taking the lead here."

"The N.R.A. are getting weaker, they're bleeding from (not-LaPierre's) mismanagement and reaction following Parkland, Orlando, and Sandy Hook. We've got a real chance to capitalize on this window of opportunity, but if we don't, the N.R.A.'ll be back in force and their political machine will continue to frustrate Democrats of any color or creed. A narrow-focused measure, focused on universally popular universal background checks and red flag laws here. Those aren't really controversial at this point, and have broad bipartisan support. Either the Republicans will burn themselves up and it'll make their Senators look bad - remember there's a good four or five states in play next year - or it'll even clear the Senate and the President's veto'll still make their party look like a bunch of bloodstained axe-murderers. Either way, an uncontroversial gun control bill should - we're hoping - unite the caucus, hurt the Republicans, and give us a good springboard to work from in 2021 once we've got a Democrat in the White House. Real change from day 1."
Neoliberal
"Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity."
Join NS P2TM's rebooted US politics RP! - America the Beautiful
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Bryan Burgess - R-CT - White House Press Secretary
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:24 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:Nez took out her phone while lying out on her couch in her apartment in DC, finding Carrie in her contacts and dialing her up, and turned the TV down just a bit with the remote while she waited for the call to go through.

"Hey Kathleen, thanks for calling me up. You know how I wanted to bring you on as Vice Chair of the Caucus in the next Congress?"
Neoliberal
Eugene Obradovic - D-IL - President pro tempore of the United States Senate, senior Senator from the State of Illinois
Caroline Simone - D-NY - Ranking Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, Representative for the 12th District of New York
Abigail Jekyll-Jones - R-OR - Chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, Representative for the 2nd District of Oregon
Jonah Prendergast Jr. - R-WV - Governor of West Virginia, former Secretary of Labor

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:29 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:Nez took out her phone while lying out on her couch in her apartment in DC, finding Carrie in her contacts and dialing her up, and turned the TV down just a bit with the remote while she waited for the call to go through.

"Hey Kathleen, thanks for calling me up. You know how I wanted to bring you on as Vice Chair of the Caucus in the next Congress?"

"Yes, I remember we talked about that as a possibility." She said, with a hint of curiosity and an even smaller hint of suspicion in her voice.

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:31 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"Yes, I remember we talked about that as a possibility." She said, with a hint of curiosity and an even smaller hint of suspicion in her voice.

"I'm wondering if I should take a step further. Shoot for Speaker. In which case, you could go for being full-on Caucus Chair."
Neoliberal

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:38 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"Yes, I remember we talked about that as a possibility." She said, with a hint of curiosity and an even smaller hint of suspicion in her voice.

"I'm wondering if I should take a step further. Shoot for Speaker. In which case, you could go for being full-on Caucus Chair."

"Well shit, I can tell you I wasn't thinking that's what this call would be about." She adjusted herself on the couch, sure no one could see her, but the subject of the call seemed to demand it, "Is Douglas retiring... or are you talking about pulling off something more challenging?"

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:42 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"Well shit, I can tell you I wasn't thinking that's what this call would be about." She adjusted herself on the couch, sure no one could see her, but the subject of the call seemed to demand it, "Is Douglas retiring... or are you talking about pulling off something more challenging?"

"Well, if we get a Democratic President, we're not going to need some kind of grizzled pitfighting dog manning the trenches against Wolf anymore. We're going to need someone who can keep the caucus wholly united, and govern. I've been in the Executive Branch, and I think I'm in a good position for that. I'm expecting him to retire."
Neoliberal

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:08 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"Well shit, I can tell you I wasn't thinking that's what this call would be about." She adjusted herself on the couch, sure no one could see her, but the subject of the call seemed to demand it, "Is Douglas retiring... or are you talking about pulling off something more challenging?"

"Well, if we get a Democratic President, we're not going to need some kind of grizzled pitfighting dog manning the trenches against Wolf anymore. We're going to need someone who can keep the caucus wholly united, and govern. I've been in the Executive Branch, and I think I'm in a good position for that. I'm expecting him to retire."

"Well if that's the case, you certainly could run, but it wouldn't be anything like the election for Caucus Chair. Assuming it'd be an open election, well there's a ton of people who want to be Speaker. You'd have enemies from every angle of the Party, the Progressive Caucus, the Black Caucus, the Hispanic Caucus, the Blue Dogs, the current Leader and Whip. Not that I don't think you haven't done a good job as Chair at keeping us united as a party, but do you think you could come out on top of all that?"

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:10 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"Well if that's the case, you certainly could run, but it wouldn't be anything like the election for Caucus Chair. Assuming it'd be an open election, well there's a ton of people who want to be Speaker. You'd have enemies from every angle of the Party, the Progressive Caucus, the Black Caucus, the Hispanic Caucus, the Blue Dogs, the current Leader and Whip. Not that I don't think you haven't done a good job as Chair at keeping us united as a party, but do you think you could come out on top of all that?"

"The Blue Dogs know I'll listen to them. The Leader and Whip are, frankly, at least a decade older than me. Their time has passed. I'm not going to presume the support of the Black and Hispanic Caucuses, but I'll be upfront with them and so far, I think I've gotten along very well with their members and kept their interests in mind. The Progressive Caucus... I don't think I've had a major bust-up with them so far, have I? It's only the Senate Progressives who've been in my hair. What's important to me is that everyone feels respected and like they have a voice, and even if we don't agree, we acknowledge our common cause."
Neoliberal

New Cobastheia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Cobastheia » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:37 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"Well if that's the case, you certainly could run, but it wouldn't be anything like the election for Caucus Chair. Assuming it'd be an open election, well there's a ton of people who want to be Speaker. You'd have enemies from every angle of the Party, the Progressive Caucus, the Black Caucus, the Hispanic Caucus, the Blue Dogs, the current Leader and Whip. Not that I don't think you haven't done a good job as Chair at keeping us united as a party, but do you think you could come out on top of all that?"

"The Blue Dogs know I'll listen to them. The Leader and Whip are, frankly, at least a decade older than me. Their time has passed. I'm not going to presume the support of the Black and Hispanic Caucuses, but I'll be upfront with them and so far, I think I've gotten along very well with their members and kept their interests in mind. The Progressive Caucus... I don't think I've had a major bust-up with them so far, have I? It's only the Senate Progressives who've been in my hair. What's important to me is that everyone feels respected and like they have a voice, and even if we don't agree, we acknowledge our common cause."

"Well, I didn't mean enemy in that sense. And I don't think there's been any major fight between the Progressive Caucus and yourself yet, but some major Progressive would probably run because we've never had an opportunity like that for one of our own to become the Speaker. Same with the Black and Hispanic Caucuses, you know?" Nez let out a brief sigh before continuing, "I'm curious, why aim for the Speakership? Don't you have an in or two into the next administration, depending on who ends up President of course."

Gordano and Lysandus
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Gordano and Lysandus » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:46 pm

New Cobastheia wrote:"Well, I didn't mean enemy in that sense. And I don't think there's been any major fight between the Progressive Caucus and yourself yet, but some major Progressive would probably run because we've never had an opportunity like that for one of our own to become the Speaker. Same with the Black and Hispanic Caucuses, you know?" Nez let out a brief sigh before continuing, "I'm curious, why aim for the Speakership? Don't you have an in or two into the next administration, depending on who ends up President of course."

"I can appreciate the aspiration. Really, I do. And I do want to see Progressive voices being heard. I am progressive socially, I feel like people don't quite count that enough. The Caucus is very broad and very diverse though, and picking someone from one corner or another risks alienating people - it runs contrary to the unity goal. Some of our members in difficult districts are really upset with the Progressives right now because of what Murphy and Winthrop are doing." She sighed, shaking her head. "Maybe we could change the rules, look at a... Deputy or Vice Speaker. I definitely want to include Progressives in the leadership, that's why I approached you, Kathleen, because you know what you're doing. I trust you, and you're capable. And yes, I know, I've got a pathway to Secretary of State, but we need a strong Speaker too. It's a hard decision. It's not a decision I've solidly made yet. But it's a pathway I'm considering."
Neoliberal

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:47 pm

State Democratic Convention, San Francisco, California
(May 31st, 2019)

The California State Democratic Convention was one of the most important beauty contests in the Democratic Primary, as the gathering of the party apparatus in the most populous state in the Union and a relatively recent center of power for the party. It was an even more important event now that California voted on Super Tuesday. The Murphy campaign clearly viewed it as a must-win, explaining their incessant campaigning in the state.

The Velez campaign saw the necessity of doing well in California. He would not necessarily win the state- Texas seemed most likely, along with Rocky Mountain and southeastern states, thanks especially to his recent gains among African American voters. Needless to say, action was needed to ensure Murphy and other opponents didn’t rack up the delegate haul in California.

So, the campaign decided to make its presence known at the convention. They arrived with the candidate bright and early, and made sure to shake hands and take selfies with as many activists, workers, and office holders as possible. Velez spent a lot of time especially with the party’s Hispanic Caucus, as one of the only Hispanic governors in the country.

As with most other presidential candidates, Mike was offered the chance to give a short speech. Given the saturation of speeches, Velez and his speech writers came up with something short but punchy on the plane ride from Iowa to California. They needed something that would stand out, while being unifying rather than divisive. Finally, when it was his turn to take the stage, and his speech was ready to start rolling on the teleprompter, Velez waved to the crowd and athletically jogged to the podium like the former football player he was, shaking hands and giving high-fives along the way. At the podium he flashed his white smile, and put his hand up for the audience to settle down.

“HOW ARE WE DOING CALIFORNIA?” He roared as the crowd cheered.

“On this day, in this room, in this moment we are better than ever. It’s because we are buzzing with something a former boss of mine used to talk about a lot- hope. I see it in the faces of young activists, of union organizers. I see it in the faces of both cradle Democrats and new supporters. You know, for President Baharia hope wasn’t just a platitude. Hope was a rallying cry. Hope was what guided the women who fought tooth and nail for the 19th amendment. Hope is what guided Doctor King and the Civil Rights activists who fought tooth and nail for the Civil Rights Act. Hope is what guided my parents and millions of other immigrants to this country, and hope is what guides us today. So I am proud to feel the hope we have here today.”

There was some clapping.

“But folks, hope isn’t enough in 2020. We are a nation in crisis, make no mistake. While it is multifaceted, the crisis boils down to one issue- fascism.”

He let the word hang in the air. It was the most controversial thing he had said, and it was sure to pick up a ton of attention.

“We have a president who came to power by calling people with a similar heritage to myself ‘rapists and murderers.’ We have a president who refuses to condemn white nationalist terrorism, even after deadly situations like we saw in Charlottesville, further emboldening their violent acts of racism. We have a president who puts women and children in cages- women who, in a different time could have been my mother, or your mother. Children who could have been my brother, or your brother. We have a president who lets lobbyists and corporations run our government, hollowing out institutions designed to lend a helping hand to our most in-need. We have a president who negligently allows a globe-spanning climate crisis go un-checked. We have a president who has spent more time constructing vapid and egotistical shows of nationalism than actually making life better for folks who voted for him.

I understand the man is suffering, and my heart goes out to his family, but I will not stop bringing his record into the light. And let me tell you now- it will not end when President Wolf’s term expires. In 2018, I defeated a Wolf acolyte who parroted everything the President said, and took it to further extremes. Look at the President Wolf’s loyal Secretary of Defense Bernard Porter, who refuses to condemn the men flying swastikas and confederate battle flags at his rallies. Even the supposedly palatable options like Diane Paulson flaunt their connections to men who stood against Doctor King by voting against the Civil Rights amendment. After President Wolf’s term expires, Wolfism will not disappear. It will only grow more competent, more normalized, and more dangerous.

This is how the power brokers of the Republican Party are today, folks. If you turn on the news or read the headlines, our country looks more like a tin-pot dictatorship and less like the Great Republic of Washington and Lincoln with each passing day.

But we have the chance to stop it. One chance. This is the reality we are in- and let me be as clear with you as possible- we cannot flub this. There are no do-overs. The Democratic Party must take a stand for the livelihood of working people, for the safety of African American and Hispanic folks, and for the rights of LGBTQ people, and WIN. We have to win in order to turn back the tide of fascism. The activists, the organizers, the Americans in this room need to pick up the torch of those who fought to GROW our democracy in decades past, and SAVE it.

This is not done through purity, through litmus tests, and through division. I would know- I am the only Democratic candidate for President who has won an election in a Wolf state. It’s done through building a big-tent movement with a common vision for a better America- not for Democrats or Republicans, but for all of us. It’s done through realizing that people who voted for President Wolf aren’t evil- they face the same problems we do, and are looking to make their voice heard and needs met.

What does this movement and common vision include? It includes universal healthcare, which may be achieved through any number of plans expressed by myself and my fellow candidates. It includes protecting and expanding voting rights, especially for African Americans and troops serving overseas. It includes ending generational poverty in this country. It includes promising to reform education to make schools better and college affordable. It includes promising to finally build an economy that works for everyone, not just the stock portfolios of Wolf cronies and the top 1%. It includes making clear that a woman’s body is off limits to the hands of politicians, and taking guns off the streets and out of the hands of those who should not have them are both non-negotiable. These are all popular, and each have a number of proposed solutions.

So that’s what we have to do if we are going to win in 2020- the most important election of our lives. So this Convention, and more broadly, this primary season is about finding the candidate who can lead this movement, beat fascism, and save our democracy. It’s about finding the candidate who can be a tough guy, but not a tyrant- who can stand toe to toe with everyone from Vladimir Putin to Majority Leader Warrick to protect the American people.

President Baharia was right. Hope is what guides us. The hope of historically oppressed people seeking justice. The hope of huddled masses yearning to breath free. Hope for a better life for our kids and their kids. But we need more than hope in 2020. We need to bring new politics for a new decade. Let’s build a movement together and save American democracy.”
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:39 pm

Sarenium wrote:
"I've been fighting for electoral reform in the Senate since I was elected, there's widespread caucus-wide support for election reform, we can even bring a few Republicans across if the President were willing to sign, as for my medicare for all who want it plan, it isn't universal single-payer, but that's the eventual goal. In my opinion, it'll expand health insurance to any American who wants it, and drag down the price of care in all walks of the healthcare system, and if it is as successful as I envision, we may be able to get all the way there for Universal Healthcare by the end of my 8th year, otherwise the next Democrat can push for the final stretch of the way. As for public-private partnerships, we operate airports, train stations and some hospitals through PPPs. Where it isn't practical or feasible to engage a private entity, federal-state funding will work fine, otherwise, I want us harnessing American industrial muscle for a new wave of public works," she recognized a tone of both resistance but appeal in Montgomery. Her understanding thus far was that he wasn't exactly opposed to any of her plans, he seemed to want assurances that they'd work, "Fairness First may be my first slogan but Jobs & Opportunity is a close second."

Ben Montgomery

"I don't expect our President to do electoral reform, knowing him and his usual policies. This is a bipartisan issue that I recommend, trying to make some peace with some Republicans, while finding some Democrats who would be willing to help with the electoral reform. If you want to have industrial muscle in the country, you have to do it in the rust belt. California is already an industrial state with Silicion Valley." Ben said, sipping his coffee.

"Here's some things I want to address. One. While I'm not against public-private partnerships, I don't want the federal state funding which I would have for to run the state to end up not being of good use. Which is why I don't want a private sector agency to misuse the funds. Second. Fairness First isn't a good slogan. Solely because it's sounds too close to Porter's AmericaFirst slogan he keeps having around. There is still people who would mistake either to be the same or from the other."
Local 22 year old Diet Coke Addict College Student Ruins Everything

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Sarenium
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarenium » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:53 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:
Sarenium wrote:
"I've been fighting for electoral reform in the Senate since I was elected, there's widespread caucus-wide support for election reform, we can even bring a few Republicans across if the President were willing to sign, as for my medicare for all who want it plan, it isn't universal single-payer, but that's the eventual goal. In my opinion, it'll expand health insurance to any American who wants it, and drag down the price of care in all walks of the healthcare system, and if it is as successful as I envision, we may be able to get all the way there for Universal Healthcare by the end of my 8th year, otherwise the next Democrat can push for the final stretch of the way. As for public-private partnerships, we operate airports, train stations and some hospitals through PPPs. Where it isn't practical or feasible to engage a private entity, federal-state funding will work fine, otherwise, I want us harnessing American industrial muscle for a new wave of public works," she recognized a tone of both resistance but appeal in Montgomery. Her understanding thus far was that he wasn't exactly opposed to any of her plans, he seemed to want assurances that they'd work, "Fairness First may be my first slogan but Jobs & Opportunity is a close second."

Ben Montgomery

"I don't expect our President to do electoral reform, knowing him and his usual policies. This is a bipartisan issue that I recommend, trying to make some peace with some Republicans, while finding some Democrats who would be willing to help with the electoral reform. If you want to have industrial muscle in the country, you have to do it in the rust belt. California is already an industrial state with Silicion Valley." Ben said, sipping his coffee.

"Here's some things I want to address. One. While I'm not against public-private partnerships, I don't want the federal state funding which I would have for to run the state to end up not being of good use. Which is why I don't want a private sector agency to misuse the funds. Second. Fairness First isn't a good slogan. Solely because it's sounds too close to Porter's AmericaFirst slogan he keeps having around. There is still people who would mistake either to be the same or from the other."

"Fairness is a universal symbol," he considered his critique for a moment, "how would you run my campaign if you were in my shoes?"
...I'd like to do you slowly...
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Puertollano
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:17 pm

Levi Murphy at CA Dem State Convention
San Francisco, California
May 31st

It became clear that Levi wasn't the only one interested in capturing California, or at least doing well in the Super Tuesday State. Levi had already conducted many events in the state, but the Senator returned for the CA Dem State Convention, where he and other presidential candidates were given the opportunity to speak to the crowds of loyal Democratic voters. It was these people that he was interested in winning, they would be the ones to vote and decide the winner of the Democratic Primary in California. Levi took to the stage following an address given by Governor Mike Velez. Despite being on a totally different edge of the party, he had a lot of respect for the guy. They obviously thought a like, as no other presidential candidate had bothered to campaign in California.

"California: Hello!" The received light applauses. "Before I continue today, I'd like to thank all of the brilliant work up into this evening. From the construction crew that would have had to assemble this stage, to the countless volunteers who worked to make this a reality. You are the backbone of the Democratic Party, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We wouldn't be able to run presidential campaigns without you all and the spirit you bring elections. Talking about elections, this presidential election is pretty important," Levi said, laughing a bit at his own joke. "We can define the decade - we should define the decade - because it's about time that working people in this country are heard. You know, I read that come 2020, it should have a lot of commonalities with the 1920. I was thinking, we need to make radical union organizing, the mobilization of the working class and a people-powered agenda for change a reality. It starts with a Democratic candidate that will fight tooth and nail for us and our communities."

"It would be rude of me not to comment on who makes the Democratic Party what it is here in California. It's our latino voters, who vote for a better future for their families, it's our union members, it's our Stonewall allies, it's our activists and volunteers. I believe in a radical idea that the party should start to be built, shaped and lead by them, not by an party bureaucracy. We have this unparalleled opportunity in 2020 to raise the mantel to fight for working class people again, and that's what I'm going to do. Let's fight for bold, brave and let's not concede our ideals our aspirations to the Republicans. Look, I've been told I am too ambitious on many occasions. They told me I can't do it. My simple response is: it's not me, it's us. We can do it, not me, we can get Medicare for All, we can get free and universal education in this country. We can provide for our families through a proper $15 minimum wage. The attacks on the roots of this party need to be stopped. Yes, we can get Medicare for All. No, it is no pie-in-the-sky. Yes, in fact it will eliminate costs for every American and reduce the overall tax burden on working class families. No, it will not impact our families, unless you appeared on Forbes Top 100 richest people in America."

"Republicans are the party of delay, no big ideas and a lack of creativity with the issues. When was the last time you heard of them stand up for something new, rather than the same old conservative narrative? Never, we don't need to be like that. We can support Medicare for All because we are the party of the people, because we have a hand on the pulse of the working communities in this country. Unlike the Republican Party that has its' hand on the pulse of the country clubs in Orange County. We can be radical, we can ask for change, and we can win. We have never won asking for normalcy, we've never won by standing for nothing. We've never won by not being true to ourselves, the party which implemented the New Deal, which created social security, which defended the right to organize. The Republicans are the party of reduction, cut social programs, cut social security, medicare, medicaid. We can be bold and say, y'know what, we do stand up for progressive, working-class values because we are true to ourselves. And because we know being true to ourselves and the working class is the best winning formula to any election."

"At the end of the day, the 1% is only 1% for a reason. We don't need to be stumping in Beverly Hills for a bit of cash. They only represent !% of the population of this country, let alone the electorate. It's time that we appeal and win the 99%, who wants action on climate change, action on our awful, for-profit health insurance industry, who want good-paying union jobs, who want a decent education for their children! Baharia didn't win asking for complacency. We win when asking for more of our government, for asking for change, and a real difference. So, I believe we should be making a real difference in 2020. Be true to ourselves and party. And work again for the many, not the few. Thank you."
Senator Levi Murphy (D-MN)
Chairwoman Lilyana Wolf (R-ME)
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)
Mayor Tammy Tablot (I-NV)

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:40 pm

Sarenium wrote:
"Fairness is a universal symbol," he considered his critique for a moment, "how would you run my campaign if you were in my shoes?"

Ben Montgomery

"Fairness is similar to justice. It's being just in what you would consider right. I would run a campaign with awareness of what the public believes is morally right. There is still a couple of other nationwide topics that needs to be addressed. While there are some policies that you address that I would run, I would still have them operate differently, depending on areas of the nation. One state needs help with healthcare. Another with infrastructure. You get the deal. Strategy is another thing, but I'm not someone who is willing to be cunning enough to be strategic."

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Sarenium
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarenium » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:45 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:
Sarenium wrote:

Ben Montgomery

"Fairness is similar to justice. It's being just in what you would consider right. I would run a campaign with awareness of what the public believes is morally right. There is still a couple of other nationwide topics that needs to be addressed. While there are some policies that you address that I would run, I would still have them operate differently, depending on areas of the nation. One state needs help with healthcare. Another with infrastructure. You get the deal. Strategy is another thing, but I'm not someone who is willing to be cunning enough to be strategic."

"You'll be pleased to know that's what I've been doing," she smiled, "admittedly it is different to a Virginia-exclusive campaign, but, I modulate my messaging appropriately," she paused, "I want your counsel and guidance not just during the campaign but should I end up in the White House, Ben you'd make a phenomenal member of anyone's cabinet, and I want to have you in mine. However, I'm not sure whether you're on board with my campaign just yet."
...I'd like to do you slowly...
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Puertollano
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:47 pm

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:

Republican National Committee HQ
Washington, D.C.
May 29th, 2019

(Image)
He chuckled.

"Lilyana...come on."

He continued to chuckle, ignoring whatever she might think of his use of her first name without permission.

"Where there is a will, there is a way. Can't say your hands are tied when you are quite literally leading the Republican National Committee. You have to do more than stand back and observe. I mean, don't interfere or rig things like the Democrats did in 2016 with Baginiski, but you can surely do more. Reach out through surrogates, get Cramp, Brookshire, or whatever the third's name is and cut 'em deals. And for the climate thing, you can put out some statements, start a review committee, heck your dad is the president. Talk to him."

He seemed slightly annoyed as he finished.

"It's hard to cut deals when each side wants to gut the other one out," she said. "Trust me. It will be handled with after the first round. We'll have our candidate and they'll have theirs. Then I can work on beating a Democrat, not another Republican."

"I don't want to take things too far on the climate issue, and while I understand that those are quite pragmatic steps, I want to be seen as an RNC Chairwoman who is fair, and in-touch with every niche and group. That includes the Coal-Belt, like Governor Prendergast. I'm sure that wing would think that would be blind betrayal."
Senator Levi Murphy (D-MN)
Chairwoman Lilyana Wolf (R-ME)
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)
Mayor Tammy Tablot (I-NV)

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:56 pm

Sarenium wrote:
"You'll be pleased to know that's what I've been doing," she smiled, "admittedly it is different to a Virginia-exclusive campaign, but, I modulate my messaging appropriately," she paused, "I want your counsel and guidance not just during the campaign but should I end up in the White House, Ben you'd make a phenomenal member of anyone's cabinet, and I want to have you in mine. However, I'm not sure whether you're on board with my campaign just yet."

Ben Montgomery

"Not yet. While a place at the cabinet is an interesting offer, I still have the state to focus on. I will be attending the Democratic State Convention in San Francisco at the end of the month, though I probably run into you again there. I need more time to decide."

RPs I do

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Fri May 01, 2020 12:17 am

May 31th, 2019

Ben Montgomery
Democratic State Convention
San Francisco, California

"You're unable to attend the convention, George?" Ben spoke on the phone to his political aide George, as George was having problems with his wife. "It's not an issue, it's just-"
"You expect me to set up the goddamn table, but you're the boss around here! Aren't you, George!"
"Well, if I'm the boss, could I have 5 fucking minutes of peace and quiet for once, you ungrateful bitch!" George yelled to his wife, while Ben was still listening in. "Uhhh, should I be interrupting something?"

"It's fine, Ben. We're just having dinner, but I can't be in work for a couple of days. Plus, it's due to that cat my wife brought in. I will still look into some things while you're being California's public relations spokeperson."
"If I'm not a hero that the public deserve, I'm still someone they need. Please try to make some amends with your wife, though."
"Right. Right- SHUT THE FU-" Ben immediately hung up, before George can continue arguing to his wife over Ben's phone.

For San Francisco, Ben was pretty a native to it. He was like cheese to a fine wine that was his hometown. He got out of his car, but not before he added some hand sanitizer to his hands. The smell of oranges helps with hygenie. Entering the convention, Ben started to do the routine of meet and greets. He shook hands, had some selfies by some millenials, and undergone a celebrity movie star style approach in mingling with some supporters. As he was doing his routine, he got a phone call from an unlikely person.

"Hello?"
"Ben?"
"Russ? What do you want?"
"Well, I thought Martin would be a good husband, but he slept with some slut, just to get me a birthday cake full of lies, so I don't know how to feel right now."
"Russ, there is a reason why I needed to avoid you. You keep throwing your issues towards other people, expecting them to solve them for you."
"Why can't you be like Dario? For god's sake, Ben-"
"Don't give me that Dario excuse! As much of a friend he was towards you, my opinion still stands however!"
"You never even came to the wedding, Ben!"
"It was my birthday that same day. I needed to spend time with the family. Along with the fact that everyone went to the wedding, just to get the free champagne!"

"You know, you just say the dumbest shit sometimes."
"I wish I didn't hear the same crap either.."
"Can we just-"
"No. You're not whining to me about Martin. It was your choice. Bye, Russ." Ben immediately hung up, as he took a deep breath. "Ok.. take it easy. Don't get involved with other people's problems, except your own." Ben thought.

"Now, where was I?"

RPs I do

Alozia
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Alozia » Fri May 01, 2020 3:38 am

Dentali wrote:Speaker Douglas
Capitol Hill

(Image)

The room had been rented out for this express purpose, the Democratic Party plotting the next legislative push. Simone and Douglas had a rough outline of the idea and the direction they would be going, but it was here they would start crafting the legislation which would hopefully put the Republicans in a bind. He sat patiently and awaited his invited guests.

Entering the room, Julia exchanged a couple of quick greetings before taking a seat.
Last edited by Alozia on Fri May 01, 2020 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let Freedom Ring Administrator,
Community Outreach and Application Review Coordinator

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:I swear you are the LOTF Mariah sometimes
(Ironic; me when I see Gord)
Peoples shara wrote: "Die nasty!!111"

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri May 01, 2020 6:14 am

Sanabel wrote:
Dentali wrote:

"Ah Governor Velez!" Moore said graciously, personally welcoming in the Governor "Please come in, thank you for the wine." Moore gestured Velez into his office and bid him sit down "I'm so happy you called up, we have much to discuss."

“I was happy to find the time. I actually only just met with Senator Little. It’s tricky to spend a lot of time in Washington while running for President, I’m glad I’m not a Senator. How are you and your family doing?”

"I'm doing well Governor, my Daughter is doing great at Johns Hopkins, my son Frederick is looking to run for his first office, my nephew is going to be running for the Michigan 14th and my youngest Clarence just told me he is running for class President." Moore laughed a bit "We will have the Kennedys beat before long. How is your family?"
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri May 01, 2020 6:52 am

FOX Interview
05/29/2019
Fmr Secretary Porter

Craig Benfield: Good morning, this is FOX News. Returning to FOX News is Secretary Bernard Porter. Secretary how are you today?

Bernie Porter: I am good today. How are you?

Benfield: Just fine thank you… So recently you made a denunciation of Alt Right groups such as the Neo-Nazis who had appeared at several of your rallies. Why did you denounce them?

Porter: I can't believe I have to say this, it's because I am against genocide, I am against fascism and I am against Nazism. My opponents like to paint me as this right-wing extremist, when all I want to do is protect my country. They want to pin me with Nazis, with fascists, and I'm not letting that happen.

Benfield: Why do you think Neo Nazis continually appeared at several of your rallies?

Porter: Several? I wouldn't say several. There was only one documented case of it. We were slow to act, but I can assure you there are no known neo-Nazis at our rallies, to the best of your knowledge.

Benfield: How long does it take to see someone with a Nazi flag and then kick them out? They attended the whole rally.

Porter: I think what you're trying to get at...the narrative you're trying to point out, is that I am in bed with Nazis. I am not in bed with Nazis, let me assure you that I am not. My record speaks for itself. I have never been a member of any far-right groups nor associated with them. I think, to be frank, this entire conversation is nothing less than an attempt by my opponents to slander and mock me. My record speaks for itself, as I have said before. My campaign offers many reasonable policies and also offers a new future for America.

People like to conflate patriotism with fascism. I expect such behaviour from "politically correct" West Coast elites, not from members of the Republican Party. Their words are slander and nothing less. Now, are we going to talk about policies or are we going to continue dignifying the slander of my opponents?

Benfield: You don't feel the American people deserve an answer on this?

Porter: They already have, multiple times. I refuse to dignify slander of me and my campaign.

Benfield: Forgive me but, no you haven’t. You can’t just release a campaign statement and do a speech and then have everything washed away, and you can’t expect everyone to have read or watched them. It’s a perfectly legitimate question which I am giving you an opportunity to answer publicly and help assuage the fears and concerns of voters. You do not have any public political record before your resignation as Secretary of Defense, so saying ‘my record speaks for itself’ doesn’t necessarily cut it. I’ll ask one more time, why were those with Nazi flags prominently displayed at your rallies not kicked out?

Porter: I am against hatred, I am against genocide and I am against Nazism. Polygraph me: I am not a Nazi nor am I in bed with Nazis. My record does speak for itself, in fact. I am a man whose only allegiance is the United States. I have no allegiance to domestic terrorist groups nor to foreign Nazi cells such as Combat 18. I'm looking to reveal my tax plan in Charleston soon, would you like to ask any questions about that?

Benfield: Do you consider yourself a conservative?

Porter: I am a one-nation, paternalistic conservative, in the mold of Benjamin Disraeli and Winston Churchill. I follow it, simply put, because it aligns with my religious beliefs. The richest and most powerful of our society have an obligation to the poorest and most vulnerable, do they not?

Benfield: That term is much more well known in Britain in the United States, can you explain it a bit?

Porter: It is an ideology where government is a force for good in society, one that enforces moral law and ensures that all are protected from exploitation. Our nation, our society, exists as a collective where all have obligation to one another. Those in our society who we trust with power and with wealth have an obligation to those who do not have power, and do not have wealth. It is what I speak of when I talk of moral government. Government exists as a means, as a means to a more moral and just society. It is why I am against abortion, against gay marriage, and believe that government should intervene against it. We must enforce morality and justice at every level of society, not just in the realm of criminals.

Benfield: Besides Gay marriage and abortion what else do you believe the government should intervene against?

Porter: Prostitution, pornography, drugs, online gambling, child slavery, illegal immigration, to name a few. Look, there is a great moral decline in American society currently, and we should work to stop it. We should also decrease immigration significantly, as increased immigration correlates to a degrading of the social order and increased crime and discontentness. However, we should also work on increasing birth rates here at home, which is why I am offering, in my new tax plan, $12,000 a year per household member, including children.
I think this extensive child benefit will increase birth rates, and turn the demographics around in our favour.
Porter: I am saying every single American man, woman and child should get $12,000 a year. It's simple. As long as they're not known welfare scammers or illegal immigrant, they get $12,000 a year.

Benfield: How will you pay for this?

Porter: I will impose a 10% land value tax on all land in America. The average American should still come out $7,200 ahead, more if including our payroll tax elimination.

Benfield: What is the value of all land in the United States?

Porter: Enough to sustain our plan. We've done the numbers, and it looks like, including the tax cut, we'll end up a massive budget surplus, with the average American being $12,000 ahead. The tax cut is worth more than the tax raise for the average person.

Benfield: (momentary silence) Can you give me a number?

Porter: The average American would be taxed $4,800.

Benfield: No, I mean the value of all the land in the United States.

Porter: I'm assuming you're thinking this tax will affect economic activity. Let me assure you, it will not. In fact, it will do the opposite: people won't just sit on land, waiting for it to sell. They'll develop it and use it, in order to get the most out of their taxed land.

Benfield: How do you know what the tax will generate if you cannot tell me the value of land in the united states?

Porter: Approximately $40 trillion. Let me make it clear, however, that most of the tax burden will not fall on everyday Americans.

Benfield: According to the Federal Reserve is that all privately owned land in America is worth $14.5 trillion.

Porter: My sources are the USDA, Forbes and the real estate company Zillow. Approximately $40 trillion, only about $2 trillion of which is agricultural, so farmers will be, overall, paying less tax.

Benfield: I’m going to have the producers check that number and we will get back to that…. For now let me ask… who do you consider “everyday Americans?”

Porter: The bottom 92% of Americans, who will not only be receiving the $12,000, but also the 15.6% tax cut. The tax cut in my plan would ensure that most Americans get out on top.

Benfield: What about Americans who own small businesses and farmers? What about people who own their homes in whole or in part?

Porter: Good question. Agricultural land is only worth about $2 trillion from USDA estimates, so farmers would be largely unaffected. It would be about a 1/10th of their income or so, less than what they would gain from the payroll tax cut. People who own their homes are mostly fine, with the average American owning about 4 acres, balancing out the tax cut and the tax increase. They would get $12,000 a year extra without increasing their taxes, so they're fine.

Benfield: What about small business owners?

Porter: Another part of our tax plan will be to give a corporate tax cut to small businesses, reducing their rate to 14%. I think that should make it up fairly well.

Benfield: You think?

Porter: I can say so to a reasonable degree of certainty. Businesses pay 7.56% payroll tax, so add that with the 7% cut and it should reasonably compensate for the new tax.

Benfield: We have just heard back from our producers, apparently if you add the land value to real estate value it gets close to $40 trillion. So your tax would include real estate value?

Porter: Yes, however, the average American would only pay $4,800.

Benfield: 65% of Americans own their own homes... Don't Americans already pay this tax in the form of a property tax?

Porter: Yes, but it is much smaller than federal income taxes or payroll...As I said before, the average American won't see their tax bill go up, and they'll be $12,000 better off...

Benfield: You mentioned this would encourage people to develop undeveloped land, but this taxes developed land too and at the exact same rate. So how does it encourage development?

Porter: It would encourage development, as, whilst it does tax developed land, undeveloped land sitting on its own doing nothing and costing the owner money is something no owner wants, so developing the land would help them turn a profit, even if said profit is taxed.

Benfield: But as we established, property taxes already exist and so to vacant lots. Besides the permitting and regulatory process mean that land often sits unused for periods of time beyond the owner of the land's control. What will be done to help with that?

Porter: This isn't a mere property tax - it includes the value of land. There will be less vacant lots, as land itself is taxed too, not just real estate value.

Benfield: Okay lets move on to another topic. What in your opinion are the limits of Presidential power?

Porter: Any elected leader, whether he be a President, Governor or merely a Mayor, must recognise the constitutional limits on his power. The President must not act as an elected dictator, rather a guider of change. I recognise that there are limits on presidential power, both constitutional and social, and understand that they were put in to defend this country from dictators.

We need a strong leader, yet also a benevolent one, one who serves the American people, rather than himself.

Benfield: What do you believe qualifies as a ‘strong leader’?

Porter: A leader that can guide the direction of the nation, one that can bring people together in times of chaos and in times of disorder. Ronald Reagan, Arnold Wolf...both were strong, powerful leaders. My leadership will follow in that route, I hope.

Benfield: Do you believe current tax policy benefits the 1% over the 99%?

Porter: I think that the wealthy have been dodging their taxes for far too long. They've been putting it in offshore accounts, hiding it away from the IRS. I think that behaviour is not only shameful, it symbolises how many in the upper class of our society think they run the world.

Benfield: So whats your opinion of the Wolf Tax Cuts?

Porter: They were good for the economy, but we should cut taxes for small businesses further and shift the burden to larger businesses. I am a supporter of small business, and think that their taxes should be reduced to low levels.

Benfield: What should the tax rate be for large businesses? And what do you consider a 'large business'?

Porter: Any company with a revenue of more than $5 million a year.

Benfield: What should the tax rate be for large businesses?

Porter: I think we can keep it the same. We'll have a large surplus from our tax plan, don't worry. It'll be great. It's a great plan.

Benfield: But Right now the corporate tax rate is now a flat 21%, you said we should keep the tax rate the same but then said we should shift the tax burden to large businesses. Which is it?

Porter: Well, they would pay a larger share, wouldn't they? That is, by definition, shifting the burden.

Benfield: But the land value tax doesn't discriminate based on income. Farmers for example have a large amount of assets in the form of land and farm equipment but have a relatively low profit margin. Some companies will have more real estate and land assets than others despite their profits at the end of the year.

Porter: They would pay a larger share of corporate tax, I mean. We will increase farming subsidies significantly, from $20 billion to $100 billion per year.

Benfield: What else are you going to increasing funding for?

Porter: I will certainly work to increase defence spending, modernise our infrastructure and build millions of more homes in my term. I will ensure that these homes are affordable, built in areas where the less fortunate can reach them, and are cheap. Government-provided housing will be a new experiment in this nation, and one that, I hope, will end homelessness entirely.

Benfield: How much is all this going to cost?

Porter: Defence spending, we're expecting about $200 billion extra across my term. Infrastructure and Housing will be both $125 billion per year each, with room for more. It'd leave us with a surplus of approximately $550 billion per year.

Benfield: Allow me some back of the napkin math here... The total United States Revenue last year was $3.3 trillion. Your land value tax will generate... by your estimate... $4 trillion dollars, meaning a revenue of $7.3 trillion .

You will eliminate payroll taxes, which brought in about $1.3 trillion last year, meaning $5 trillion in revenue. Your Universal basic income proposal, $12,000 a year for every citizen costs roughly $3.8 trillion. So that leaves $1.2 trillion left over. Your Defense, Infrastructure, and Housing increases, are $450 billion all-together to say nothing of what we already spend on those... so thats $750 billion to pay for the rest of the federal budget. The rest of the federal budget which was a little over $4 trillion in 2018. So that's a budget deficit of $3.25 trillion every year.

I don't see where you're getting a $550 billion surplus

Benfield: Apologies, mild mess up with the elimination in payroll taxes. The deficit would only be $2.25 trillion every year

Porter: It's not $2.25 trillion. If you take away welfare, it would be about $900 billion deficit. The defence spending is for the entire term, meaning that it would be $825 billion now. Another estimate from the office of the Governor of New York shows tax loopholes, which I intend to close, cost the US taxpayer a further $1.4 trillion. So yes, we can take a figure of more than $550 billion surplus.

Benfield: Whoa hold on you have never mentioned taking away welfare, this is the first you have ever mentioned it. You need to expand on that.

Porter: Well, the basic income makes welfare redundant, doesn't it? Of course, medicare and medicaid will still exist, but all other forms of welfare will not. That aside, I think it's important to talk about my other economic policies, such as my plan to end homelessness in this country permanently.

Benfield: So all Welfare other than Medicare and Medicaid will be eliminated? What about Social Security?

Porter: Social security will be supplanted too, as the tax cut and basic income combined will top up seniors significantly. If you earned, say, $35,000 a year, and you saved up that 15.6% (since workers will have the employer tax returned to their wages), you would have a pension fund of, assuming you started saving at 26 and retired at 66, $218,000. Let's assume this person lived to 79, as is the life expectancy, you would get $28,000 a year, including the income. People could live to similar standards as they did during their working life.

Benfield: So you will be ending Social Security and all other welfare programs and then replacing them with your Universal basic income plan?

Porter: People will be well-compensated, let me assure you. Nobody will feel any difference except positive ones.

Benfield: Do you have any background in economics, business or crafting policy?

Porter: Personally, I do not. However, I do have extensive background in strategy and management, being the head of CENTCOM and having experience in the Gulf War, Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan. My political background is limited, as most of my actions as Secretary of Defence have been militarily-oriented.
I am willing to get experts, to get people who understand the ins and outs of policy, in my cabinet. They'll be great experts, the best experts, qualified in their fields.

Benfield: Do you really think people will or should accept 'just trust me' as an answer?

Porter: If people have no faith in their government and in their president, what then? As I said, I have extensive strategic and managerial experience under the military, having taken charge of operations for the coalitions in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Benfield: Well you haven't be elected yet... Thank you for joining us today Secretary.

Porter: Thank you for having me on.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Fri May 01, 2020 6:56 am

Dentali wrote:
Sanabel wrote:“I was happy to find the time. I actually only just met with Senator Little. It’s tricky to spend a lot of time in Washington while running for President, I’m glad I’m not a Senator. How are you and your family doing?”

"I'm doing well Governor, my Daughter is doing great at Johns Hopkins, my son Frederick is looking to run for his first office, my nephew is going to be running for the Michigan 14th and my youngest Clarence just told me he is running for class President." Moore laughed a bit "We will have the Kennedys beat before long. How is your family?"

“That’s excellent. A family of politicians,” Velez chuckled. “A family of public servants. Well, we are all hanging in there. Presidential campaigns can be tough- I’ve been jet setting all over the country while my wife has basically held down the fort in Florida. Both of my sons are in college, so it’s pretty much business as usual for them. Raúl is studying economics at the University of Michigan, my alma mater, and in your home state no less. My younger son Pedro is a freshman at Emory, he has no idea what he wants to do yet.”
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Azekopolaltion » Fri May 01, 2020 7:34 am

Tim Westra 2020
San Francisco, California - State Democratic Convention
May 31st, 2019

California, Super Tuesday's biggest prize. This was one of the first big events where Democratic competitors would all be present at once. After having the previous day to campaign in Stockton, Tim arrived in San Francisco for the state convention, which was being held at the Hilton Hotel in SF's Union Square. Tim was not the most personable guy, but he liked giving speeches, even if he wasn't the most eloquent guy in the room. His walk-on song of choice was "Where is the Love."

"Good morning guys, thank you! It is great to be here in CALIFORNIA! This is awesome, thank you. Thank you all for your extraordinary leadership, you guys in the California Democrats show up every day to fight for workers, to fight for minorities, to fight for the marginalized, and to fight for America."

"My brothers and sisters, I want to start today with a quote from a personal hero of mine and a hero of the country, I think. The great Dr. Martin Luther King once said that 'in the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our friends.' Powerful words, and full of truth.”

"As we debate about the future of our party, the Democratic Party, it is up to us to take a good look at the history of our party, our actions, and the impact of our decisions. We have historically been a vehicle for enormous good, but also deep pain. Pain that I remember myself."

"I recall when I was a boy growing up in the shadow of an industrial community that was shedding jobs like crazy, working class folks like my family remembered the silence of our leaders. While the people in power decided to align with corporations to pass disastrous trade deals that wrecked our manufacturing industry, it was the silence of our party in Congress that stung the most. We lost 4.5 million jobs as a result, throwing workers out of their homes and into the streets."

"When Democratic and Republican leadership collaborated to legally permit the discrimination of same-sex couples with the Defense of Marriage Act, it was the silence and the concession of our Democratic president that stung the most. It allowed couples who loved differently to be denied human necessities like housing and health insurance. It took away their dignity."

"When a Democratic president signed the 1994 Crime Bill and ushered in the era of mass incarceration, the silence and compliance of the party establishment stung the most. Today, more than 2 million people are incarcerated, and more than half a million folks are locked up for non-violent drug offenses, disproportionately young African American and Latino men."

"I say this not because I am against the Democratic Party. I am a lifelong Democrat; I love my party and I am proud of it because of the principles that we were founded upon. The modern foundation of the Democrats was developed by my favorite president, Franklin D. Roosevelt. He famously declared that 'the test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.' It holds true today."

"Today, I want to talk about the poor. Politicians like to talk about the middle class, they like to mention the working class. That's all great. But they rarely mention the poor, they don't say the word. They talk about poverty, as a concept in vague terms, but they don't talk about really serving poor people and folks who have been deprived, whether they have been deprived of economic security or freedom from discrimination. Marginalization is a form of poverty."

“Our party's biggest successes are defined by our antipoverty and anti-discrimination efforts. Medicare, Social Security, the creation of a minimum wage, the Civil Rights Act. These were big, bold steps at the time!”

"And every time real change has come about, it has not been because of one person. It has happened because of a bottom-on-up effort by the grassroots to hold our politicians to higher standards and pass lasting, revolutionary reforms to our nation's bedrock. No better example exists than the Civil Rights Act. It only happened because selfless heroes like Dr. King, like Miss Rosa Parks, like Brother Malcolm X, like the Reverend Jesse Jackson, they stood up and fought back! And it wasn't just them. Ordinary people, poor people, joined them to challenge the political establishment that was so determined to divvy us up and keep one people in chains. It forced Lyndon Johnson to take heed and finally sign the Civil Rights Act."

“I want our party to return to that legacy. One that is led by the will of the grassroots. Not the blood money of Corporate America. Not by some elite political concept like 'socialism' or 'liberalism,' which really don't mean anything concrete. We need to be a party that puts people first.”

"The wars we must fight are not abroad, they're not in the Middle East or across our border. They are here at home. It is a crime that in the wealthiest nation in the history of the world, we still have children who don't get enough to eat, we have single mothers working multiple jobs and still struggle to support their families, we have folks going bankrupt because they can't afford medical care. It breaks my heart."

"Margaret Thatcher once said that poverty is a personality defect. That's, excuse my French, plain bullshit! Poverty isn't a lack of character; it's a lack of cash. And it's time that we think beyond just tinkering with our tax credits and eligibility requirements in the welfare system, and actually start talking about revolutionary solutions to reach full employment and also provide universal unconditional cash to Americans."

"College for All, Healthcare for All, Housing for All - these are good, but not enough by themselves. We need a new agenda in this country that reaches the ideal of Social Security for All! We need to eliminate poverty once and for all! And we can do that with a two-pronged plan that provides Jobs for All and a universal social dividend."

"Our welfare system is profoundly broken. By imposing confusing, strict eligibility requirements based on your job, your income, your family, welfare in this country is not really a social safety net for those who are slipping through the cracks - it's a cruel workfare system that doesn't reach people who need help."

"Our campaign is the only one to put out a proposal for a real Federal Jobs Guarantee. This new program would be federally funded but locally administered, much like other welfare programs. It would not be a workfare program, so it won't be implemented with any benefit-related stipulations. The Jobs Guarantee will provide a living wage and a union job, and there's plenty of work to be done. We've put forth a $1 trillion public infrastructure proposal, who's going to do the work for that to get done? We need people to rebuild our roads, rebuild our waterways, rebuild our bridges. We need a climate-focused infrastructure agenda to decarbonize public housing, weatherize buildings, and build the Green Infrastructure that a post-carbon America will need."

"It's not just in infrastructure. Low-income school districts need qualified teachers, which I hope to attract not just with the Job's Guarantee, but also with our proposed Teacher Tax Credit to raise teacher pay in under-resourced districts. We need professionals in our proposed Universal Pre-K and Childcare system, so that all of our children get an earlier start with early education and so that no parent has to choose between child and work."

"This program would hire about 12 million people and finally allow us to reach the dream of full employment: work that fits you. Because in the future gig economy, transitional programs like this will be crucial in keeping folks working in meaningful jobs that suit them. Unemployment statistics don't tell the whole story - we also have to look at who's underemployed, meaning their skills don't match their work. A Jobs Guarantee program will create a more productive economy, force the private sector to compete with our wages and benefits, and will overall raise standards of living for the American population."

"But this is not enough. There will still be people who struggle to work - the disabled, the stay-at-home parent, folks who are caring for an ailing relative. Is that not work as well? What our society defines as work is extremely narrow. And in the future economy, where automation is going to drastically transform the nature of employment, it's imperative that we create the solid social safety net to care for people when they're out of work. Everyone deserves a minimum standard of dignity."

"And we can get there - with the universal social dividend. Cash to everybody, no strings attached. Look, this is an economy that runs on your backs. The consumer, the worker, the average American - you all contribute to the $5 trillion in capital income held almost exclusively by the billionaire and millionaire class. Imagine that: we live in a nation where 1% of the population holds so much wealth, yet almost 40% of Americans don't have $400 on a rainy. It's time you get a share in the wealth that you create with the universal income."

"For the past few decades, the failed policies of trickle-down economics have robbed the working poor of their wealth. Our universal social dividend will build a trickle up, bottom-up economy, from our families, to our small businesses, to our wider communities."

"But the universal dividend will only be a payment of a minimal size at first, and that won’t be enough on its own to raise living standards and make hard work pay. Every other progressive reform we have laid out is part of that solution, part of the fight to bring true economic justice to this nation.”

“We are running the most bold, most progressive campaign in history and in this race. A universal social dividend, an EITC expansion, a federal jobs guarantee, a competitive public health insurance option, universal income-based student loan repayment, tuition free college for all, a Renter’s Tax Credit, climate justice, infrastructure development, ending the wars."

"The bosses might tell you where to sit, but no one tells us where to stand!"

"Wake up, California. This is not a call for you to take a new direction from right to left. This is a call for you to go from down to up. Up with the rights of workers. Up with wages. Up with fair trade. Up with creating millions of good paying jobs, rebuilding our bridges, ports and water systems. Up with creating millions of sustainable energy jobs to lower the cost of energy, lower carbon emissions and protect the environment."

"Up with cash dividends for all. Up with health care for all. Up with education for all. Up with home ownership. Up with guaranteed retirement benefits. Up with peace. Up with prosperity. Up with our working class campaign to restore justice to the White House."

"We are all children of God. We all deserve to operate under America's promise. We all deserve to be treated with dignity. The poor. The hungry. The wretched. This is their country too!"

"The corporate fat cats buy the souls of our elected officials, so that our vote no longer counts. Our democracy died the day the parties ran away from the poor and got in bed with the corporate lobbyists. But this campaign will signal to the establishment: your time is up. We have no corporate donors, no Super PAC, no closed-door fundraisers. This is powered by the people."

"As your president, I promise you: no voice of the grassroots will go unheard. I'm going to the White House to fight for you every day, not the greedy billionaire class who wants more and more at the expense of the rest of us. We need a new era of progressive governance, bringing our party back to its working class roots and away from the elitist influences that have infiltrated the Democratic Party. It's time to understand that there should be dignity in work; we are not a developing country, we are not a war zone, we are America, the wealthiest country in the history of the world. It's time to stand up unequivocally and tell the establishment: we are worthy, and we will put people first. And I, Tim Westra, would be humbled if all of you joined our movement today."
Last edited by Azekopolaltion on Fri May 01, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse