NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Including STEM Education in the Curriculum

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Soleimani Commonwealth
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 04, 2020
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Including STEM Education in the Curriculum

Postby Soleimani Commonwealth » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Category: Education and Creativy
Area of Effect: Education

The World Assembly,

Aware of the fact that, to this point, young children in our schools have been undereducated on the topics of science, technology, engineering and mathematics as they apply to the real world.

Dissatisfied with the current educational system due to its lack of such classes.

Acknowledging the fact that STEM classes will significantly improve the chances that these children come up with a scientific breakthrough, or create life saving inventions later in life.

Further acknowledging that including specialized STEM classes in the curriculum will improve the overall quality of life and well-being of citizens who reside in member nations.

Hereby,

1. For the purpose of this resolution, STEM refers to science, technology, engineering and mathematics, however, the expectations for what is to be taught will be further specified.

2. Mandates that STEM classes be built into the curriculum of all elementary grades in staggered levels of advancement, with the earliest grades being taught the least advanced information and concepts, and the latest grades being taught the most advanced and complicated concepts.

3. Private elementary schools will not be excluded from these requirements and must follow the same guidelines set for all public institutions.

4. If a school’s religious views oppose the material taught within the scientific aspect of the STEM classes, or any aspect of the classes for that matter, the school is still required to teach these classes. This, however, does not at all mean that the religious values of a school are to be delegitimized in any shape or form, and all classes regarding religion shall be taught at the will of the administration of the school or nation.

5. Public schools are required to meet the standards set below:

A. Children are expected to be at some point taught the basics of mathematics, and later on, more developed concepts, they should also be taught movement mechanics, food chains, basic astronomical concepts, such as orbit, and electrical circuits. Specifically when this concepts are introduced to the children is up to the schools themselves.

B. Children are also required to take part in multiple hands-on experiments throughout the course of their elementary education. These experiments should include electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and plant growth. At what age these children take part in these experiments is up to the school itself.
Last edited by Soleimani Commonwealth on Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:47 pm

GA rules prohibit real life references such as "Moon" and "Earth" (if capitalised properly). I would warn against outlining some kind of specific curriculum as in the manner that your proposal currently takes, especially in line with age. A better way would probably be to outline principles or goals that schooling is meant to achieve.

Scientific knowledge is also already promoted by GA 80 "A Promotion of Basic Education" and GA 475 "Promoting Natural Sciences In Schools".

Soleimani Commonwealth wrote:

The World Assembly,

Aware of the fact that, to this point, young children in our schools have been undereducated on the topics of science, technology, engineering and mathematics as they apply to the real world.

Dissatisfied with the current educational system due to its lack of such classes.

Acknowledging the fact that STEM classes will significantly improve the chances that these children come up with a scientific breakthrough, or create life saving inventions later in life.

Further acknowledging that including specialized STEM classes in the curriculum will improve the overall quality of life and well-being of citizens who reside in member nations.

Hereby,

1. Mandates that STEM classes be built into the curriculum of all elementary grades in staggered levels of advancement, with the earliest grades being taught the least advanced information and concepts, and the latest grades being taught the most advanced and complicated concepts.

2. Private elementary schools will be excluded from these requirements and won’t be required to teach said classes, however, there will be a tax on all private schools that do not include STEM classes in their curricula. The money accumulated from these taxes will go into funding STEM classes in public schools.

3. If a school’s religious views oppose the material taught within the scientific aspect of the STEM classes, or any aspect of the classes for that matter, the school is still required to teach these classes. This, however, does not at all mean that the religious values of a school are to be delegitimized in any shape or form, and all classes regarding religion shall be taught at the will of the administration of the school or nation.

4. The specific standards set for what should be taught and included in the curriculum are:

A. During the earliest grade, there will be information taught on the basic theories of mathematics, including addition, subtraction and other such concepts. If this is already being taught, there is no effect. There will also be basic astronomic science taught, such as how the moon revolves around the earth.

B. During the middle years, there will be hands on experiments involved in the curriculum, including experiments regarding electrical circuits, chemical reactions and so on. Children will be taught about basic physics and movement mechanics, and will be taught multiplication and division as well as how those mathematical concepts are related to shapes.

C. During the later years, children will be taught more complicated concepts in how photosynthesis occurs and will be taught basic chemistry such as the structure of atoms. They will also be taught more advanced astronomical concepts and will be involved in hands on experiments and teamwork activities regarding electrical circuits and structural integrity. They will be taught the basics on how computers function as well.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Soleimani Commonwealth
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Soleimani Commonwealth » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:42 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:GA rules prohibit real life references such as "Moon" and "Earth" (if capitalised properly). I would warn against outlining some kind of specific curriculum as in the manner that your proposal currently takes, especially in line with age. A better way would probably be to outline principles or goals that schooling is meant to achieve.

Scientific knowledge is also already promoted by GA 80 "A Promotion of Basic Education" and GA 475 "Promoting Natural Sciences In Schools".

Soleimani Commonwealth wrote:

The World Assembly,

Hereby,

1. Mandates that STEM classes be built into the curriculum of all elementary grades in staggered levels of advancement, with the earliest grades being taught the least advanced information and concepts, and the latest grades being taught the most advanced and complicated concepts.

2. Private elementary schools will be excluded from these requirements and won’t be required to teach said classes, however, there will be a tax on all private schools that do not include STEM classes in their curricula. The money accumulated from these taxes will go into funding STEM classes in public schools.

3. If a school’s religious views oppose the material taught within the scientific aspect of the STEM classes, or any aspect of the classes for that matter, the school is still required to teach these classes. This, however, does not at all mean that the religious values of a school are to be delegitimized in any shape or form, and all classes regarding religion shall be taught at the will of the administration of the school or nation.

4. The specific standards set for what should be taught and included in the curriculum are:

A. During the earliest grade, there will be information taught on the basic theories of mathematics, including addition, subtraction and other such concepts. If this is already being taught, there is no effect. There will also be basic astronomic science taught, such as how the moon revolves around the earth.

B. During the middle years, there will be hands on experiments involved in the curriculum, including experiments regarding electrical circuits, chemical reactions and so on. Children will be taught about basic physics and movement mechanics, and will be taught multiplication and division as well as how those mathematical concepts are related to shapes.

C. During the later years, children will be taught more complicated concepts in how photosynthesis occurs and will be taught basic chemistry such as the structure of atoms. They will also be taught more advanced astronomical concepts and will be involved in hands on experiments and teamwork activities regarding electrical circuits and structural integrity. They will be taught the basics on how computers function as well.

I edited it to change the way I set standards for the curriculum just like you suggested.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:56 am

OOC: Quite sure that "STEM" is a Real Life Refrence (a proposal rules violation). It's also not directly explained within the proposal what it's supposed to mean. Hint: definitions are your friend.

Also, currently clause 2 would make this illegal as the WA can't create discriminatory tax schemes in the member nations. Why are you excluding private schools anyway? You can mandate for them too. This isn't Real Life.

Oh and beyond the age limits likely making this contradict an existing resolution that makes it the right of the nations themselves to decide on age limits, I can't help but be OOCly amused by 4.A. In my RL nation, Finland, kids usually go to school the year they turn 7. So that clause would be basically impossible in RL Finnish school system (which keeps getting ranked as one of the, if not the best in the world, by the way). I'm guessing you live in UK or similar place where school starts at age 5?

And also, astronomy? Seriously? Being "thoroughly taught the basics of astronomy" doesn't usually happen in schools until like year six, not age six. And even then it's the actual basics of basics, not the "thorough basics". (If you don't know the difference, I'll be happy to demonstrate in TGs.)

Same goes for all the rest of them, really. "Thoroughly taught the basics" for most sciences is like university level stuff. And I say this as someone who actually knows the thorough basics of photosynthesis and could likely explain them to a child so they understood, but wouldn't expect them to be able to remember it after a week, because it's bloody complicated (an electron cascade is just the start of it) and you need to learn so much more at that age and also have some free time left over to be a kid.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Soleimani Commonwealth
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Soleimani Commonwealth » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:57 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Quite sure that "STEM" is a Real Life Refrence (a proposal rules violation). It's also not directly explained within the proposal what it's supposed to mean. Hint: definitions are your friend.

Also, currently clause 2 would make this illegal as the WA can't create discriminatory tax schemes in the member nations. Why are you excluding private schools anyway? You can mandate for them too. This isn't Real Life.

Oh and beyond the age limits likely making this contradict an existing resolution that makes it the right of the nations themselves to decide on age limits, I can't help but be OOCly amused by 4.A. In my RL nation, Finland, kids usually go to school the year they turn 7. So that clause would be basically impossible in RL Finnish school system (which keeps getting ranked as one of the, if not the best in the world, by the way). I'm guessing you live in UK or similar place where school starts at age 5?

And also, astronomy? Seriously? Being "thoroughly taught the basics of astronomy" doesn't usually happen in schools until like year six, not age six. And even then it's the actual basics of basics, not the "thorough basics". (If you don't know the difference, I'll be happy to demonstrate in TGs.)

Same goes for all the rest of them, really. "Thoroughly taught the basics" for most sciences is like university level stuff. And I say this as someone who actually knows the thorough basics of photosynthesis and could likely explain them to a child so they understood, but wouldn't expect them to be able to remember it after a week, because it's bloody complicated (an electron cascade is just the start of it) and you need to learn so much more at that age and also have some free time left over to be a kid.

Well other than the STEM part, which, I’m not sure how else I could describe it, I was able to change most of the other things that you suggested I modify. This time I specified what I meant by “photosynthesis” or “astronomy”.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:33 am

Soleimani Commonwealth wrote:This time I specified what I meant by “photosynthesis” or “astronomy”.

OOC: Okay, going the wrong way. You want to be as unspecific as you can. The WA isn't made up of only one species on one planet like we are in RL. For the Tikrr, for example (a puppet nation of mine), aerodynamics, atmospheric conditions and weather are much more important than astronomy (they're eyeless, flying echolocators who live in the upper half of their planet's atmosphere), and chemistry is basically nonsense to non-scientists, because biology (especially learning the species it's safe to try to catch - they're carnivores - and eat) is so much more important. And before someone complains of them not being in the WA, all it takes is few minutes to move the status, if that's what it depends on.

So basically you want to write a proposal that works for humans on Earth, atmospheric echolocating predators, people who live indoors all their lives, people on tiny islands with only a few thousand people, as well as people living in vast interstellar space empires.

A good way to start from would be looking at the promotion of sciences resolution and explain to me why it doesn't do enough in your opinion. Also Promotion of Basic Education or whatever the actual name of the resolution is, because it also overlaps with this.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:08 pm

Aside from Araraukar's advice, I recommend changing the title, because right now it's clunky and you've added more than just STEM to your proposal. Perhaps "Promoting Scientific Education" or something like that. At this point your proposal is much more than STEM, so you want a title that accurately represents what you're trying to get passed.
Also, whenever I see your nation's name, I think of a dead Iranian general. Was that a deliberate choice?
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly