NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:12 am

Makdon wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I have an idea for people who don't want to obey laws they perceive as stupid, but I genuinely don't know where to take it from there because I'm stupid. This is anything from noise pollution laws to water restrictions (in times of drought)

maybe do something with the classic dumb act of not wearing a seat belt, and make it an issue because of increased death rates in crashes due to it. That'd probably have to have a requirement for low intelligence or something. Is intelligence even a stat?

Interesting. Thanks!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:23 am

I have a feeling this may be already an issue, but I might as well ask...

Is there an issue regarding brand name products becoming so common in daily use that people begin to question the brand's rights to the word? I know a few times certain trademarks were revoked due to this irl.

ex, Kleenex or Coke are synonymous with tissues and cola drinks.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:01 am

Doesn't ring a bell. There's 859 "A Cola by Any Other Name" which is about rights to a brand name, but that's slightly different to what you're describing, I think.

Just stay away from coke/cola on your draft, and you should be fine.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:28 am

Makdon wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I have an idea for people who don't want to obey laws they perceive as stupid, but I genuinely don't know where to take it from there because I'm stupid. This is anything from noise pollution laws to water restrictions (in times of drought)

maybe do something with the classic dumb act of not wearing a seat belt, and make it an issue because of increased death rates in crashes due to it. That'd probably have to have a requirement for low intelligence or something. Is intelligence even a stat?

There's already one about helmets for motorcyclists...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bowzin
Envoy

Founded: Aug 13, 2018
Libertarian Police State

Postby Bowzin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:14 pm

I've heard talks of a GI discord but can't find a working link..anyone wanna help me out
Bowzin Vytherov-Skollvaldr
| On a Redemption Arc. |
We dropped a new resume dispatch!

Makdon
Envoy

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Makdon » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:44 pm

Bowzin wrote:I've heard talks of a GI discord but can't find a working link..anyone wanna help me out

discord.gg/MqzCPkw should work
Last edited by Makdon on Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
⁝ Former World Assembly Officer of The Rejected Realms ⁝ 2 x SCR author ⁝ Question Mark ⁝

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:40 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Makdon wrote:maybe do something with the classic dumb act of not wearing a seat belt, and make it an issue because of increased death rates in crashes due to it. That'd probably have to have a requirement for low intelligence or something. Is intelligence even a stat?

There's already one about helmets for motorcyclists...

Thanks
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Polis Diamonil
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Polis Diamonil » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:53 pm

Hey, I had some fun with Issue #626 recently, and I basically ended up being inspired to write up two dispatches about it.

This one about the decision itself:
https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1315094

And this one, about celebrations afterwards:
https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1315094

However, while writing up that first reaction, I noticed something. The research team shouldn't need to cut up volunteers in Polis Diamonil, because Polis Diamonil has citizen vats. The nation can construct brain tissue samples that never were a person for conducting that research. That still has a strong potential heebie-jeebies factor to it, but unlike chopping up disposable citizens for testing purposes, it's safer, more pacifistic, and less rude.
Rain Falling in a Digital Void is all me. Canonically, it's called Rafaiad. NationStates runs a crude system that mistreats creativity, but I've done my best to twist together something of a narrative structure differentiating the nations of Rafaiad and yet building them together.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:04 pm

Polis Diamonil wrote:The research team shouldn't need to cut up volunteers in Polis Diamonil, because Polis Diamonil has citizen vats. The nation can construct brain tissue samples that never were a person for conducting that research.
Brain tissue samples that were never used for performing actual thought would probably be of little help in figuring out how the brain works while in use and thus how to copy its functions.

You'd have more luck either trying to figure out a way to perform nondestructive testing of brain functions while in use, or testing on animals first and moving ahead to humans only once you're pretty sure you've got the process right with animals.

Sensorland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sensorland » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:37 pm

I'm considering writing up a draft for an issue that can remove the Curfew policy. The basic idea is - a person, out past curfew, witnesses a crime in action, calls the police, and gets arrested themselves for violating the curfew. This sparks a national debate about the fairness of the curfew. Good idea?
Sensorland of the West Pacific
I mostly use NS stats
Just here to have a good time
Author of issue #1325
Social liberal, Georgist, atheist, vegan

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:07 pm

Sensorland wrote:I'm considering writing up a draft for an issue that can remove the Curfew policy. The basic idea is - a person, out past curfew, witnesses a crime in action, calls the police, and gets arrested themselves for violating the curfew. This sparks a national debate about the fairness of the curfew. Good idea?

I like it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:58 pm

Not gonna lie I find this amusing, myself.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:52 pm

Many countries offer some degree of protection for people who admit to committing crime in the act of reporting a more serious one. In NationStates, this includes at a minimum nations that chose #1294 3.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:06 pm

Sensorland wrote:I'm considering writing up a draft for an issue that can remove the Curfew policy. The basic idea is - a person, out past curfew, witnesses a crime in action, calls the police, and gets arrested themselves for violating the curfew. This sparks a national debate about the fairness of the curfew. Good idea?

I like that idea as a possible reversal for curfew. I suggest you write it and see how it comes out.

Trotterdam wrote:Many countries offer some degree of protection for people who admit to committing crime in the act of reporting a more serious one. In NationStates, this includes at a minimum nations that chose #1294 3.

Just to allay any concerns: If an issue comes up that's interesting and well-written enough, editors can add policies as absolutely necessary -- not that that is always necessary -- to ensure issues go to the right nations.

That some nations may (and others may not) have previously answered issues in a way that would make an interesting and novel idea inapplicable to some nations should never make an author feel dissuaded from writing.

Our message to authors is always: focus on the writing, and let us worry about any coding that may be needed! The ideas that make you excited are always your best ideas. :)
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:56 am

I've noticed that a lot of issues assume that children in poor countries go to school. However, in some countries, most children are too poor to go to school. Can we please look into this?

Sensorland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sensorland » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:49 am

Australian rePublic wrote:I've noticed that a lot of issues assume that children in poor countries go to school. However, in some countries, most children are too poor to go to school. Can we please look into this?

Seems like it would require a massive overhaul of issues. In many cases, though, it can at least be assumed that the schoolchildren depicted happen to be some of the lucky few whose families can afford to give them an education.
Sensorland of the West Pacific
I mostly use NS stats
Just here to have a good time
Author of issue #1325
Social liberal, Georgist, atheist, vegan

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:50 am

OTOH, you could write an issue for countries with bad economies and no education spending pointing out that large numbers of children aren't going to school...

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:48 am

Frankly more issues surrounding dirt-poor nations would be nice. :lol:

In fact, that does inspire me to write an issue about something, though I already have a dozen drafts I'm neglecting can't remember if it's been done.
"that's what YOUR LIST is for" Right. But I feel too lazy to look there before making this post. :roll:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Ehenhet Dralgad
Secretary

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ehenhet Dralgad » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:11 am

Thinking about issues for dirt poor economies, I immediately thought of a possible effect line. "@@LEADER@@ is trying to figure out how much of an economy the economy needs." I'm not sure what issue to link it to. I'm sure it could be imagined going many different ways in the effect line jest.

I wandered in here to suggest that thirty decibels is too low for #891. I know that exaggeration is for effect in comedy, but forty decibels would already be exaggerated, since it would have retail establishments operating at the volume of libraries. That's still exaggerated, but since it's no longer inconceivable, it becomes less of the auditory equivalent of carrying around a giant foam ear.
Last edited by Ehenhet Dralgad on Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The password is faithbreaker. Don't make me regret telling you.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 am

Effect lines are often ridiculous interpretations of a reasonable decision. That's kind of the point, I think.

Ehenhet Dralgad
Secretary

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ehenhet Dralgad » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:29 pm

Bit of a transhumanist issue request: could someone write up an issue for technologically advanced nations about rich people reinforcing income inequality by buying themselves better bodies? I thought of this when I read something else-thread (here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=475174&start=100#wrap ) where it was said that Retail + Health could provide private sector healthcare. If rich people can buy themselves better bodies in technologically advanced nations, that could be an opportunity for a pro-health issue to be founded on private sector activity. It would be especially relevant (limit validity?) for nations which have one of the various flesh-printing technologies represented in the NS metaverse.
Last edited by Ehenhet Dralgad on Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The password is faithbreaker. Don't make me regret telling you.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:48 am

Sleeving lies too far into the realm of science fiction to work well in NS at present. Its one of those technologies that would be so dramatic in its effect on society that around half the issues in the base would be narratively inconsistent with the existing of that technology.

Cancer rates on the rise? Sleeve people to healthy bodies.
Terrorists attack? Why weren't the people backed up?
Immigrants out of jobs? Let them make money by swapping their healthy bodies with older natives.
Crime committed? What if that was someone just wearing that body?

Then you've got a load of other considerations. If you can sleeve someone, why can't you copy them? If you can sleeve someone, why can't you alter that data en route and make the citizens you want?

While it makes for great stories and scifi, it also makes for entirely different sorts of stories from what NS presents.

I guess the obvious question then is "well, what about the issues we have about AIs and vat people?"

Well, for AIs, the rule is that it should never be explicitly clear that AIs actually are sentient, and no AI should be depicted doing or saying anything that is beyond today's technology. Perhaps AIs are giving their well-formed opinions because someone put them there.

For vat people, all we're talking about is babies who are conceived from human eggs and sperm being grown in an ex-vitro environment, which is pretty challenging, admittedly, but possible with today's tech, having been held back for ethical reasons rather than technological ones.

Sleeving, otoh, is well beyond current technology and not plausibly "fakeable", so it doesn't belong in the game.

Actually though, the presence of "AIs" (unproven to be sentient) does allow for some of these issue ideas to be explored in other forms. For example, 715 Copy Rights basically asks about the legality of division of wealth in a transhuman future where copying mindstates is possible. It doesn't matter if the AIs are true AIs are not -- the fact that a nation's laws recognise them as such means such issues could arise.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:54 am

Sensorland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I've noticed that a lot of issues assume that children in poor countries go to school. However, in some countries, most children are too poor to go to school. Can we please look into this?

Seems like it would require a massive overhaul of issues. In many cases, though, it can at least be assumed that the schoolchildren depicted happen to be some of the lucky few whose families can afford to give them an education.

Yes, but these issues would mostly apply to the poor

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:55 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:OTOH, you could write an issue for countries with bad economies and no education spending pointing out that large numbers of children aren't going to school...

Interesting

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:45 am

However, this issue could also be a problem without sleeving. You might be able to write an issue around the idea of "rich people can afford better healthcare, so they live longer", without saying that the rich people are buying entire new bodies.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?