NATION

PASSWORD

2020 US General Election Thread IV: The Battle Begins

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you think will win South Carolina?

Sanders
27
59%
Warren
0
No votes
Biden
18
39%
Buttigieg
0
No votes
Klobuchar
1
2%
Steyer
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 46

User avatar
Talvezout
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5444
Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Talvezout » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:46 am

Imagine if the Georgia Senate race ends with a Republican lock out - Loeffler and Collins somehow split enough votes that Rev. Warnock and Lieberman make it to the runoff

It's very unlikely, but it'll be hilarious. And I'd imagine Doug Collins' career in politics would be over
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
talveziobiblio.org.tz


User avatar
Ngelmish
Minister
 
Posts: 3159
Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ngelmish » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:58 am

Zurkerx wrote:


Delaney said in a statement that internal analyses showed his support wasn’t enough to meet the 15% viability threshold needed in Iowa caucus precincts, but it was strong enough to take away from other like-minded Democratic candidates.

So, his 1% would make a difference? Okay buddy, keep saying that...

Anyway, about fucking time he dropped out.


That sounds ridiculous, but it really isn't, assuming that Delaney is personally deadset against Sanders or Warren as the nominee. In 2016, Martin O'Malley's voteshare in Iowa was actually larger than the difference between the Clinton and Sanders totals -- it's not entirely clear where those numbers would have gone, but they could have made the difference. Delaney's an ass for saying it out loud, but less than 1% is probably even more significant this time around, given how closely the top candidates are running.

Major-Tom wrote:
Philjia wrote:Patrick and Bennet are both polling below 1% but are soldiering on. There's still a couple of days until Iowa, a couple more might drop out beforehand to endorse another candidate, others will stick it out until after the primary so they get mentioned on the news before dropping out.


James Carville must've lost his mind, he's gallivanting around New Hampshire, spreading the gospel that Michael Bennet is the best candidate and most likely to win. It's madness.


I forget where, but I saw a quote from Carville not that long ago wherein he seemed to be saying he didn't really expect Bennett to get the nomination, but that he thinks Bennett would be amazing if only he could get it. Admittedly, that's not a much better flex, but it's possible to at least follow the rationale.

A Bennett volunteer stopped me on the street the other day to get my signature for the primary ballot here. I think I've signed for seven different candidates at this point (albeit, mostly the also-rans).

User avatar
Gormwood
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14727
Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:09 pm

B o r o v a n wrote:Lol betting markets think Bernie has a slightly higher chance than Biden to win

But the system is still rigged against Sanders by DA ESTABLISHMENT because reasons.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 98869
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:15 pm

Talvezout wrote:Imagine if the Georgia Senate race ends with a Republican lock out - Loeffler and Collins somehow split enough votes that Rev. Warnock and Lieberman make it to the runoff

It's very unlikely, but it'll be hilarious. And I'd imagine Doug Collins' career in politics would be over

That would be absolutely amazing and should that happen you can bet republicans would immediately move to end the jungle primary system for special elections and runoffs for general elections

Fun fact: the jungle primary and runoffs are a relic of Jim Crow. It was designed to prevent Republicans from winning elections.

User avatar
Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14114
Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:01 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Talvezout wrote:Imagine if the Georgia Senate race ends with a Republican lock out - Loeffler and Collins somehow split enough votes that Rev. Warnock and Lieberman make it to the runoff

It's very unlikely, but it'll be hilarious. And I'd imagine Doug Collins' career in politics would be over

That would be absolutely amazing and should that happen you can bet republicans would immediately move to end the jungle primary system for special elections and runoffs for general elections

Fun fact: the jungle primary and runoffs are a relic of Jim Crow. It was designed to prevent Republicans from winning elections.


The jungle primary can't be a terrible idea; California adopted it relatively recently. Maybe the state systems differ.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 98869
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:05 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
San Lumen wrote:That would be absolutely amazing and should that happen you can bet republicans would immediately move to end the jungle primary system for special elections and runoffs for general elections

Fun fact: the jungle primary and runoffs are a relic of Jim Crow. It was designed to prevent Republicans from winning elections.


The jungle primary can't be a terrible idea; California adopted it relatively recently. Maybe the state systems differ.

Yes but in Georgia it’s a relic of Jim Crow. Jungle primaries are dumb because it risks one party being shut out a statewide office or district if the vote is split enough. In happened in 2018 for senate In California

User avatar
Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14114
Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:08 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
The jungle primary can't be a terrible idea; California adopted it relatively recently. Maybe the state systems differ.

Yes but in Georgia it’s a relic of Jim Crow. Jungle primaries are dumb because it risks one party being shut out a statewide office or district if the vote is split enough. In happened in 2018 for senate In California


I remember. A childish part of me is pleased there was no Republican on the ballot, but I admit it's not the best democratically.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

User avatar
Idzequitch
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17049
Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:13 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Yes but in Georgia it’s a relic of Jim Crow. Jungle primaries are dumb because it risks one party being shut out a statewide office or district if the vote is split enough. In happened in 2018 for senate In California


I remember. A childish part of me is pleased there was no Republican on the ballot, but I admit it's not the best democratically.

Meh. Maybe now they have some idea how we non-Dem, non-GOP voters feel when we look at the ballot.
Last edited by Idzequitch on Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty Thirty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian, Happily married. Now with 100% more fatherhood! Politically exhausted and fed up with any and all parties.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 98869
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:14 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
I remember. A childish part of me is pleased there was no Republican on the ballot, but I admit it's not the best democratically.

Meh. Maybe now they have some idea how we non-Dem, non-GOP voters feel when we look at the ballot.

What is that supposed to mean? There is something called a primary perhaps you’ve heard of it?

User avatar
Idzequitch
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17049
Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:19 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Meh. Maybe now they have some idea how we non-Dem, non-GOP voters feel when we look at the ballot.

What is that supposed to mean? There is something called a primary perhaps you’ve heard of it?

Sure I have. And I don't get to participate because I'm not a member of the right clubs.

To elaborate, what I mean is that some California Republicans got the chance to experience what I experience every election: No one remotely resembling your values on the ballot. Not even someone they liked that had no chance. Only, from their perspective, bad and worse. To be fair, I do live in New Mexico, where I'm proud to say we had eight presidential candidates on our ballot in 2016. But then down-ballot, it was the same old R vs D over and over. Bad vs Worse. What a thrill to get a say in that choice.
Last edited by Idzequitch on Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty Thirty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian, Happily married. Now with 100% more fatherhood! Politically exhausted and fed up with any and all parties.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 98869
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:44 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
San Lumen wrote:What is that supposed to mean? There is something called a primary perhaps you’ve heard of it?

Sure I have. And I don't get to participate because I'm not a member of the right clubs.

To elaborate, what I mean is that some California Republicans got the chance to experience what I experience every election: No one remotely resembling your values on the ballot. Not even someone they liked that had no chance. Only, from their perspective, bad and worse. To be fair, I do live in New Mexico, where I'm proud to say we had eight presidential candidates on our ballot in 2016. But then down-ballot, it was the same old R vs D over and over. Bad vs Worse. What a thrill to get a say in that choice.

So join a political party or if you don’t like whose running then run yourself

User avatar
Pacomia
Senator
 
Posts: 4809
Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:49 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Sure I have. And I don't get to participate because I'm not a member of the right clubs.

To elaborate, what I mean is that some California Republicans got the chance to experience what I experience every election: No one remotely resembling your values on the ballot. Not even someone they liked that had no chance. Only, from their perspective, bad and worse. To be fair, I do live in New Mexico, where I'm proud to say we had eight presidential candidates on our ballot in 2016. But then down-ballot, it was the same old R vs D over and over. Bad vs Worse. What a thrill to get a say in that choice.

So join a political party or if you don’t like whose running then run yourself

Not how it works.

At all.

Not even close.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

User avatar
Idzequitch
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17049
Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:56 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Sure I have. And I don't get to participate because I'm not a member of the right clubs.

To elaborate, what I mean is that some California Republicans got the chance to experience what I experience every election: No one remotely resembling your values on the ballot. Not even someone they liked that had no chance. Only, from their perspective, bad and worse. To be fair, I do live in New Mexico, where I'm proud to say we had eight presidential candidates on our ballot in 2016. But then down-ballot, it was the same old R vs D over and over. Bad vs Worse. What a thrill to get a say in that choice.

So join a political party or if you don’t like whose running then run yourself

Would you ever consider joining the GOP? No, because there are too many fundamental differences between you and them. I feel that way about both parties. I don't think I should be punished for not forcing my political views to fit neatly into one of two boxes.

And don't even get me started on this "run yourself" shit again. I have no funding. I have no desire to be a politician, and they'd deny me ballot access anyway since I still refuse to contort myself into becoming a Republican or a Democrat.
Twenty Thirty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian, Happily married. Now with 100% more fatherhood! Politically exhausted and fed up with any and all parties.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

User avatar
Idzequitch
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17049
Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:57 pm

Pacomia wrote:
San Lumen wrote:So join a political party or if you don’t like whose running then run yourself

Not how it works.

At all.

Not even close.

Doesn't prevent him from parroting the point time and time and time again.
Twenty Thirty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian, Happily married. Now with 100% more fatherhood! Politically exhausted and fed up with any and all parties.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

User avatar
United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 25657
Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:07 pm

I decided to actually register to vote. I probably won't vote in the general, but I feel like I should vote in the democratic primary. Gonna cast for Bernie. Should be manage to get the nomination, this could be the most important election of my lifetime, kind of feel like I should have some part in it.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 31078
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:21 pm

Blargoblarg wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
2008 had a decent crop of candidates and a decent amount of debate. 2016 did not have enough, and I am really glad we have more this cycle.

I agree that having a larger field is good for the party, and that's why it bothered me when Sanders acted like he was offended to have so many people on stage. Like, hello? Earth to Bernie? That's democracy.

I watched that same debate, and I didn't see anything to make me think Sanders was offended that there were so many people on the debate stage. Where are you coming off with this nonsense?


"I'm the only candidate" this and "I'm the only candidate" that, loud as fuck. Body language too, and constantly talking over other people. It isn't shockingly out of character either, since he has a history of letting his popularity go to his head and becoming egotistical. He wasn't exactly gracious in defeat in 2016.

Just because you wanted to listen to him rattle on like it's one of his rallies doesn't mean the moderators should let him do that, or that it's acceptable for him to be aggressively talking over them every time they try to give someone else a turn.

The first night of that debate had intelligent conversation. The second night was just Bernie yelling and Harris playing the race card.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
My president is defective. Can I exchange him for store credit?

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 31078
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:22 pm

Pasong Tirad wrote:
Page wrote:Biden keeps telling people to not vote for him.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... meone-else

Maybe people should follow his advice idk


They should if he's going to keep doing that.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
My president is defective. Can I exchange him for store credit?

User avatar
Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12109
Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:39 pm

Alex Brown, a Division of Raymond James (now Deutsche Bank)
Bankers Trust (now Deutsche Bank)
Bank One (now JPMorgan Chase)
Barings (defunct)
Bear Stearns (defunct)
Chase Manhattan (now JPMorgan Chase)
Dean Witter Reynolds (now Morgan Stanley)
Dillon Read (now UBS)
Drexel Burnham Lambert (defunct)
Donaldson Lufkin & Jenrette (now Credit Suisse)
EF Hutton (merged with Shearson, and then American Express, became Lehman Brothers, now defunct)
First Boston (now Credit Suisse)
Fenner & Bean (became Merrill Lynch, now Bank of America)
Hornblower & Weeks (became Merrill Lynch, now Bank of America)
Jackson Steinem (fictional)
Kidder Peabody (became GE Capital, now defunct)
Kuhn Loeb (became Lehman Brothers, now defunct)
Lehman Brothers (defunct)
LF Rothschild (defunct)
Morgan Schiff (defunct)
Paine Weber (now Morgan Stanley)
Pierce & Pierce (fictional)
Salomon Brothers (now Morgan Stanley)
Shearson (merged with EF Hutton, and then American Express, became Lehman Brothers, now defunct)
Smith Barney (now Morgan Stanley)


and that is the history of US investment bank mergers and collapses since the 1970s
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

User avatar
Aureumterra
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8521
Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:55 pm

So Warren threatened to criminalize spreading disinformation online

Didn’t she say she was Native American on Twitter?
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 98869
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:58 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
San Lumen wrote:So join a political party or if you don’t like whose running then run yourself

Would you ever consider joining the GOP? No, because there are too many fundamental differences between you and them. I feel that way about both parties. I don't think I should be punished for not forcing my political views to fit neatly into one of two boxes.

And don't even get me started on this "run yourself" shit again. I have no funding. I have no desire to be a politician, and they'd deny me ballot access anyway since I still refuse to contort myself into becoming a Republican or a Democrat.

Go run for local office then. To say everyone sucks is such a cop out

User avatar
Pacomia
Senator
 
Posts: 4809
Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:02 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Would you ever consider joining the GOP? No, because there are too many fundamental differences between you and them. I feel that way about both parties. I don't think I should be punished for not forcing my political views to fit neatly into one of two boxes.

And don't even get me started on this "run yourself" shit again. I have no funding. I have no desire to be a politician, and they'd deny me ballot access anyway since I still refuse to contort myself into becoming a Republican or a Democrat.

Go run for local office then. To say everyone sucks is such a cop out

Elections are stressful, and generally those who don't have any past political experience or otherwise name recognition have a low chance of winning. You don't just run for political office. That's not how it works.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

User avatar
Talvezout
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5444
Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Talvezout » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:03 pm

Chuck Schumer is the literal caricature version of Pelosi and I'm surprised he doesn't get more heat for that compared to Pelosi
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
talveziobiblio.org.tz


User avatar
San Lumen
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 98869
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:05 pm

Pacomia wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Go run for local office then. To say everyone sucks is such a cop out

Elections are stressful, and generally those who don't have any past political experience or otherwise name recognition have a low chance of winning. You don't just run for political office. That's not how it works.

How does anyone get elected then? Everyone starts from somewhere

User avatar
Talvezout
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5444
Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Talvezout » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:08 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Pacomia wrote:Elections are stressful, and generally those who don't have any past political experience or otherwise name recognition have a low chance of winning. You don't just run for political office. That's not how it works.

How does anyone get elected then? Everyone starts from somewhere


Running for something as simple as city council or school board or neighborhood council can change things for a lot of people honestly
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
talveziobiblio.org.tz


User avatar
San Lumen
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 98869
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:09 pm

Talvezout wrote:
San Lumen wrote:How does anyone get elected then? Everyone starts from somewhere


Running for something as simple as city council or school board or neighborhood council can change things for a lot of people honestly

I agree. It’s an excellent place to start

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fartsniffage, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Maraganta, Nova Corrisia, The Notorious Mad Jack, Uan aa Boa

Advertisement

Remove ads