NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup 84- RP Thread (IC)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mkabia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkabia » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:44 am

“Tomorrow has everything to become a glorious day,” Mamadou Dindane spoke, not to anyone in particular. Being it from earning enough medals to appear as an overdecorated Christmas tree, from having sufficient subordinates who had to listen disregarding what had been said or just from seeing too many movies with leaders, hungry for power - he had made quite a habit of that. Deep down, Marshal Dindane, the leader of the Temporary Government enjoyed the sight. And then we’re not just meaning the sight on the luscious garden, which he was overlooking during his monologue but the knowledge that everyone else in the room was standing still behind his back, soaking up the words of wisdom.

“I believe,” he continued, “that tomorrow could be a new start for the nation. A vital one if we want to transform into a modern, powerful state. But where there is opportunity, there is responsibility.”

He dramatically turned on his heels to look to the two men in the middle of the room. They had something laughable over them how they stood there, their hand to their temple to salute. It had to be so visible that he thoroughly enjoyed not saying ‘at ease’, forcing people into that uncomfortable pose. Tidjani Kabirou seemed to do it out of force of habit - he was a spineless man who had weaseled his way up to a rank. As most of these, he would do anything just to further himself, as long as it didn’t get his hands dirty, which made him awful, predictable and awfully predictable. The perfect man for the job.

The short poindexter next to him didn’t salute out of habit, but out of discomfort. Some advisor had told him that Kei Tankary actually knew something about football but would start squeaking if someone smashed a table hard enough. He was as vital as Kabirou for the means of Dindane - heck, he might even be more valuable. Decades of civil war had littered the country with arse-kissers like Kabirou, someone with an actual skill was rarer to find. One day, they would have to get rid of both but luckily for them, the date hadn’t been planned yet.

“As we take the field today against Reçueçn, I want a flawless and tight performance. I want eleven men who are proud representatives of our nation, who fly our colours with pride - and of whom our population can be proud of. We are no longer at war, but these are our soldiers now. And you, gentlemen, are our generals.”

Dindane couldn’t but grin, seeing the smug face of Kabirou. That larva probably had wet dreams about the silver stripes getting pinned on his shoulder - exactly the reason why it would never happen in real life. Tankary started to look more and more uncomfortable, you could see his lack of military training. Dindane hardly thought of him like a man. Deep down, he wanted to see the emotions on their face but he could contain himself, turned his back to them and spoke quietly - just so they had to pay attention.

“The nation expects a victory. And so do I.”
“Definitely, sir Marshal,” Kabirou replied at once, ignoring the frantic face from Kei.

Silently, they walked back through the lavish hall. When entering the building, Kei Tankary had gasped at the sight of these magnificent tapestry and the luxurious artwork, contemplating whether he hadn’t seen this painting or that sculpture before. As if one had tipped Mkabia on one side, all spoils of war seemed to have ended up in this building. From the outside it looked rather bland, but its richness was hidden in plain sight. By now, Kei had too much on his mind to ogle the hallways.

“A victory… That’s quite a demand,” he attempted softly. After all, the many soldiers who were guarding closed doors might look like statues, but probably had better hearing than the walls.
“Indeed,” Kabirou replied.

Tankary audibly sighed at the knowledge that at least the gaffer realized how ludicrous it was to ask a ragtag bunch of players, whose many fierce rivalries ran through the selection and whose skills were untested, unknown but probably insufficient, to beat Reçueçn. How bizarre from Dindane to expect th-

“I think we can convince the Marshal with an entertaining, high-scoring draw as well,” Kabirou added.
“But… They’re the reigning Independents Cup winner.”
“Sure.”
“And they partook in the last World Cup,” Tankary raised his voice. “Heck, they made the knock-outs!”

He stopped, trying to capture all that was happening around him. Was he the lunatic over here or had they all lost his mind.

“Ideal, I believe. That ensures an interesting game.”
“But… We’ll never win.”

Kabirou looked staunch, as if he was dealing with an annoying recruit.

“Look, I’ll let this defaitistic bullshit slide - but only once. We are Mkabia, we are better than any other nation.”
“But the squad… And Reçueçn… And…”
“I’ll ensure that they’ll let go of the petty squabbles and you come up with a decent game plan. But start from our own strength, yes, none of that mindless defending - a bit of action in it.”

As Kabirou marched off, his gait not disguising years of stepping to a single beat, it became clear to Tankary that it wasn’t him who had gone bananas. But why everyone else seemed to, remained a mystery.

Mustardy
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 14, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Three Weeks Before The Start of WC-84

Postby Mustardy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:51 am

Nothing Out Of The Ordinary Please, We’re Mustardo
I . Greeting The Postman On A Rather Pleasant Morning

THREE WEEKS BWC*:

“Registered mail, Sir, please sign here…”

“Thank you postman. What a pleasant morning, perhaps I shall go for a stroll along the green swathes of the headland. A constitutional, so to speak.”

“Good idea Sir, take advantage, as it were. Very sensible.”

“Not ridiculous at all, is it, Mr. Postie?”

“Err. No Sir. Not at all. Umm. Well, I shall be on my way then. All the best to you.”

“And to you… goodbye then… goodbye… GOODBYE THERE! HAPPY POSTING AND… err… all that.”

The postman was already through the gate and gone. The front door of the cottage at the end of the lane overlooking the sea closed quietly, and locked, and double, triple and quadruple locked from the inside.

“The passports have arrived, gentlemen! Let’s see, here I am look… Basile Benoit. I love it!”

Basile inspected his new passport briefly, whilst handing out the others, with a decidedly mixed reception.

The giant read out his name. “Lukas Wolff. Nice.”

“You get all the best gigs,’’ said Nic de Doncker, with a sour note, “look at me. Nic de Doncker, I mean really, I thought we were supposed to be avoiding the ridiculous.”

“Well I’m happy with Rémi Blendeman,” said Rémi Blendeman, “I’m fine with that.”

Stan Dereumaux flashed a deadly smile. “Stan is a bit of a departure. But it has a ring to it.”

And so went the conversations, as the official-looking Mustardy passports were handed out and the recipients evaluated their identities. Willy Kahnt seemed the most affected, and moaned vociferously. But then, he usually did.

“Well,” said Basile, “I think overall Pablo The Printer has done us proud - a good batch of documents. Gentlemen, polish your boots, we have a job to do! …

… but first, a nice cup of tea and a scone. Is there any more guileberry jam?”

“All gone, but Old Shake - “

“Ahem, Piet, you mean?”

“Oh, yes, sorry, Piet… Piet has nipped off back to Spi - “

“Dear me no, nothing too out of the ordinary please, try to remember we’re Mustardos!”

“Golden Monkeys! I’m terrible at this. Anyway Piet has nipped to the local preservemonger to restock.”

* Before World Cup
Last edited by Mustardy on Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:03 am

I have now made the decision about which stadiums will be used for each of the Bear-Belles’ ‘home’ qualifying games, and have added this to their ‘Roster’ post.

Location: still the Council Groves home of star reporters Bark Brent and Florise Fane.
Time: continues directly from the previous ‘episode’.

Dramatis Personae
Bark Brent (Ursine male, adult; famous broadcaster, working at ‘Universal Communications’, and formerly a renowned newspaper journalist; married to Florise Fane; emphatically not “rocketed to Urrth as a child from the doomed planet Krapton”…)
Florise Fane (Ursine female, adult; renowned newspaper journalist, working at ‘The Bear Necessities’(1); married to Bark Brent).
Karra Brent (Ursine female, young adult; professional footballer, plays for ‘LakePort Lionesses’ and also in this country’s national team ‘The Bear-Belles’ whose leading scorer she currently is; attended ‘Holy Ternian’s School’(2); cousin of Bark Brent; best friend of Lurrsee Fane; also [usually] emphatic about not being ‘Kraptonian’…).
Lurrsee Fane (Ursine female, young adult; professional footballer, plays for ‘LakePort Lionesses’ and also in this country’s national team ‘The Bear-Belles’; attended Holy Ternian’s School’; younger sister of Florise Fane, and best friend to Karra Brent since before they went off to school together).
Steffannee Bruin (Ursine female, young adult; professional footballer, plays for ‘Wiston City’ and also in this country’s national team ‘The Bear-Belles’; noted for her almost-unquenchable optimism).
Hannorra Scarlett (‘Vokksurr’ (i.e. anthropomorphic Fox) female, young adult; professional footballer, plays for ‘LakePort Lionesses’ and also in this country’s national team ‘The Bear-Belles’; she is a dedicated follower of fashion).

(Hannorra) “So we have Reality itself changing, twice in fairly quick succession. The first time affects only you two out of those of us here, oh-our-elders, although we don’t know who else might maybeso have been affected elsewhere as well: The second time, it affected at least the rest of us — although with Karra somehow remembering both versions of this ‘history’ —, and also affected Steffarn Hrrombarrhth over at the BABC… and from what he said its scope seems to have been international, ansd affected not only our list of fixtures but also those for every team that’s trying to qualify? How peculiar, indeed….”

(Lurrsee) “Ayyuh,
“Well, the report just now
did say that the first attempt at a draw was made using a system called ‘Discord’, and “discord” is a sort-of ‘Chaotic’ concept, so maybeso the organisers were asking for trouble hwhen they opted for that system on the first paw…”
(3)

(Steffannee) “Or maybeso they didn’t use a system of that name, hrreally, they were just using a different system all along but some ‘chaotic’ force managed to intervene and alter things like this, and then chose to — ur’rmm — “sign its name to the situation”, in this way, as it were?”

(Lurrsee) “Ayyuh, maybeso.
“After all, the Ponies actually rrecognise a
self-aware entity named ‘Discord’, one hwho manifests in the form of sort-of a dragon”, and if they are hrright then maybeso “he” poked his paws into this…”
(4)

(Florise) “Ur’rmm…
“I’m a little bit surprised to hear you mention the Ponies so calmly now, hwhat with… that is, bearing in mind… Ur’rmm…”

(Karra) “You mean, because not only did we lose a ‘friendly’ game against them just the last week, but they defeated urrs by a full eight goals to none? Ayyuh, I suppose you might be “a bit surprised”, hokay.
“The thing is, though, we talked the matter over — not just us four, but
all of the team — on the day after that match, and, well, we have accepted that these things happen.Our only playing experience before that was against ‘Under-Twentyone’ teams, after all, so starting our action at the ‘main teams” level by challenging the side that’s currently rranked hrright up there at number two in the worlds — the team that currently holds the World Cup, for true — was… Hwhat’s that English expression, “trying to run before we could walk”, isn’t it? Those of urrs hwho went out onto the pitch that day seriously expecting to win were just fooling themselves…”

(Bark) “That’s a very mature way of taking it, Karra: I’m proud of you, and of your team-mates, for reaching it.
“But, bearing in mind the Ponies proven ability, I hrreally have to wonder hwhat your management was thinking hwhen they
invited that team to come here… Re-starting a series of ‘friendlies’ that began back in “the old days”, and that even has its own trophy attached,
(5) smells(6) good… but doing so hwhen there’s still such a disparity in the teams’ experience levels(7) and hwhen a serious defeat maybeso could have caused loss-of-confidence and stopped-‘momentum’ problems for the team that rreduced your chances in the actual World Cup qualifiers seems a bit…
“… Rreckless?”

(Steffannee) “Oh, I can explain that, for true!”

(Lurrsee) “Oh? How so, for true?”

(Steffannee) “Hokay.
“I know that some of the other girls laugh about me spending so much time with my mum, although at least you three don’t, but she does worry a lot about my wellbeing what with me being not only her only cub but also her only close rrelative nowadays at all… So, anyhows, before I left Wimbley earlier today to meet you here, I thought that I’d better let her know that I’d be home late, and hwhy that was; and hwhile I was searching for her, in the offices behind the stadium’s stands, I happened to overhear part of Urrsarra Northgate and one or another of the committee-bears from BAAS
(8) having an — ur’rmm — ‘loud discussion’ about that question.”

(everybody else there) “Oh?”

(Steffannne) “For true! “The BAAS-bear was all
“Hwhat were you thinking of hwhen you asked for that match-up? Didn’t you know hwhat could happen?” And then Urrsarra rreplied
“Ayyuh, of course I expected our girls to lose the game… although, admittedly, the sheer scale of that defeat still surprised me, too. They were bound to lose a match sooner-or-later, now that they’re playing at the senior level, and get their confidence shaken a bit: Better that it should happen now, hwhile we still have a couple of weeks in hwhich to work on rrebuilding that confidence to a good level — hrrather than hrright up to the maybeso-too-high level that some of the girls were feeling since their ‘D-B-C’ triumph — before the actual qualifiers start, instead of actually in the qualifiers themselves hwhen a psychological loss of ‘momentum’ could prove even more harmful to their chances of success…” And then the BAAS-bear said:
“But couldn’t you, at least, have picked a slightly weaker opponent to teach them that lesson?”, to hwhich Urrsarda rreplied that
”It needed to be a team with a rreally good chance of winning, to be sure that this game wouldn’t simply push the girls’ confidence up to an even more ‘excessive’ level; it had to be a team who would be good-natured enough in victory not to rrub it in and maybeso trriger a fight; and the our prrevious history with the Ponies gave urrs a suitable excuse for this match-up. Also, this gave the Belles more experience against players who aren’t either just other Bears nor just Human-shaped, hwhich might come in useful down the line… And, seriously, didn’t any of you over at BAAS even bother to check how good the Ponies were before you approved the invitation?”
(9)
“And then they moved further along the corridor, away from the room in hwhich I was standing, and I left the area quickly before they got another chance to notice me.”

She pauses, and looks worriedly at the pair of reporters.

(Steffannee) “So, ur’rmm if either of you decides to use that in the News… “off the rrecord”, please?”

Bark and Florise look into each other’s eyes for a few instants(10), as if somehow communicating silently.

(Florise) “We wouldn’t write or brpadcast anything about this until after these World cup qualifiers have been completed, anyhows…”

(Bark) “And the World Cup itself, as well, or the ‘Cup of Harmony’ if you go to that instead…”

(Florise) “ Because doing so might hurt the rest of your team’s confidence in their coaches, and thus rreduce your chance of success…”

(Bark) “But if either of urrs does then say anything about this then, “off the record” for true. Hrright, honey?”

(Florise) “Ayyuh, hrright, country-cub.”(11)

(Steffannee) “Thank you, Ms. Fane; Thank you, Mr. Brent!”

(Lurrsee) “Of course, if either of you did say anything about it then BAAS would probably assume that the leak had rreached you through either me or Karra, anyhow…”

(Karra) “Lurrs’!”

Lurrsee) “Hwhat? Think about it for a moment, you know that they would…”

(Karra) “Ur’rmm…
“Hokay, you’re hrright, they probably
would believe that.”

(Lurrsee) “ “So, we’ll just have to make sure that we play so well that they wouldn’t dare to think of punishing urrs for it, just in case, hrright?”

(Karra) “But then we would be trying to play that well anyhows, hrright?”

(Lurrsee) “Well… Ayyuh, hrright.
“So that possibility doesn’t hrreally change anything for urrs, anyhows, hrrightyho.”

(Steffannee) “All for one..”

(the other three girls, joining her in a complicated-looking joining of hands) “And ‘ONE FOR ALL’.”

(Bark) “Hokay, now that that has been sorted-out, as you are willing to talk about the Ponies maybeso you might be willing to discuss the match against them a bit — “on the record”, this time — hwhile you’re here?”

(Karra, as usual acting as spokesgirl for the group in such cases) “Sure, cuz, ask away…”

(Bark) “Thank you. So, just hwhat went wrong for you girls out there? I mean, eight goals is as many as you allowed through in all of the last D-B-C’s matches put together… and Leona’s red card matched the only sending-off that the Belles underwent during that contest, too… and you getting even a yellow card as you did there, Karra, is a pretty rrare occurrence.”

(Lurrsee) “Urrgah!”

(Bark) “Sorry.
“Was it
just the Ponies’ much greater experience at the ‘main team’ level that gave them such an edge over you? Or am I rright in thinking that some of you found tackling four-legged opponents properly a bit trickier than you’d maybeso anticipated?”

(Karra) “That it was indeed, for true. Getting our feet clear enough after taking the ball away from their front hooves before their back legs reached urrs too was bad enough, but getting it out from their back hooves without catching at least one of their forelegs in the process was — as Leona demonstrated — furless harrd!”(12)

(Florise) “Nw that is a detail that I don’t quite understand…
“Because the Ponies normally rrun on all fours they are allowed to use all four hooves and limbs for moving the ball
without it counting as illegal for ‘handball’? Even though they still use their front hooves for taking ‘throw-ins’, too?”

(Karra) “Ayyuh, that’s hrright. Throw-in are the only time hwhen they can ‘legally’ contact the ball with their front hooves, even hwhen rrearing up onto their back legs as temporary bipeds, and once they’re back down on all fours then all four limbs count just as ‘legs’ instead .”

[/size](Harronna) “Except that their goal-keepers can legally use their front hooves and fore-limbs to control the ball hwhile they are in their own ‘goal areas’, just like Bears and humans and other bipeds playing as goalies can use their hands and arms.”

(Karra) “Ayyuh, hokay, apart from that, too.
“It’s a standard NSWCC rule for basically-quadrupedal players, apparently.”
(13)

(Karra) “So, anyhows…
"The Ponies’
first goal, just inside the game’s second moment, was simply because of their skill and because we didn't rrealise how fast they could move after taking the kick-off. Then my yellow card, just a couple of moments later, hwhen I took the ball away from a defending Pony’s front hooves but accidentally clipped their rright hind-leg hwhen that moved onwards before my own foot was clear, hwhich gave them the free kick that let them move the ball hrright back towards our goal; then Leona’s red card, hwhen she responded to that attack by trying to take the ball form a Pony striker’s back hooves and ended up sweeping their rright foreleg hrright out from under them…”

(Lurrsee) “Pony’s player taken of the pitch, but rreplaced by a substitute; Leona red-carded and sent off, leaving urrs to play with only ten bears on-field for most of the game; and a penalty shot awarded to the Ponies, giving them their second goal.”

(Karra) “And then the Ponies got even more determined… and some of them maybeso, a bit angrry, too, as though they thought that Leona had done that deliberately, too: They took advantage of the numerical imbalance, and of our increased caution about tackling them as well, to net another four shots during only the first half.”

(Hannorra) “So, during the break, Urrsarra and the other coaches gave all of us a pep talk about how highly-ranked the Ponies are, and about how ‘these things happen’: They told us just concentrate on keeping the ball away from the Ponies as much as possible during the second half, and to stop their shots with our bodies if necessary, rather than taking chances on attack if there seemed a risk that those might maybeso give the Ponies the ball.”

(Stefffanne) “But I think that the Ponies’ own coaches prrobabaly used that opportunity to give their players a “Cool it, and don’t embarrass our hosts any more now” message instead.”

(Lurrseee) “And there’s our ‘Little Miss Optimist’, trrying to think the best of everybearry…”

(Steffannee) “So, hwhich of urrs was it before the game ooh-ing and aahiing about how lovely the Ponies looked?”

(Karra) “Girls, girls...
“So,
anyhows, and hwhatever the Ponies’ coaches told their team, they “only” scored another two goals after that… and both of those were in situations hwhere their players not taking the shots would have looked hrrather odd.”

(Florise) “Hrright. So, anyhows: Long-term rrepercusssions of this match, in your opinion?”

(Karra) “We’re going to be a bit more cautious hwhen playing against other ‘main team’ squads in future, at least until we have some wins at this level under ourr belts, but — having talked it through — we’re now even more deterrmined to do as well as we possibly can. We are NOT dislivered(14) by this defeat. Telling the rrest of the girls that our own manager deliberately set us up for a ‘cautionary’ defeat might not help matters though, because it might make some players too angry to follow the manager’s directions in future…
“We have been told that the injured Pony should be fully healed-up before the qualifiers start. Leona will not be
suspended for any games, because we appealed to the NSWCC against any further penalties due to that card and the Ponies’ own management backed urrs on it being just her understandable unfamiliarity at dealing with four-legged opponents — hrrather than deliberate rrecklessness on her part — that caused the accident… She will be going along with the rest of urrs to Baker Park tomorrow, but this time she’ll begin the game on the bench hrrrather than out on the pitch. Charranna o Barrdenn will take over as our main goalkeeper for that match, with Marra o TrustyHand as her back-up, rreplacing last game’s pairing of Karramarrsar Ulgha and Serranna Orchards hwho both have volunteered to spend the time on extra training instead.”

(Lurrseee) “And that concludes the ‘Sports Report’ for this evening.”

(Your view of this discussion, as an observer from beyond the ‘Fourth Wall’, fades to black…)

OOC Footnotes

1. ‘The Bear Necessities’: [i]“a grreat metropolitan newspaper”.

2. Holy Ternian’s is a boarding school, located quite a way from any city or major town, for the more “adventurously-minded” young she-bears.
(OOC: St Trinian’s...)

3. Where we say “in the first place” and “on the other hand”, the Bears say “on the first paw” and “on the other paw”.

4. No, I am not a ‘Brony’. I have never actually watched any episodes of MLP [from any series], or purchased any of the merchandise*… but there have been times, when the GA or some other aspect of NS was getting too heated or too heavy — and I was feeling depressed — when I found their discussion threads in the game’s ‘Arts & Fiction’ sub-forum an entertaining & calming temporary refuge…
Okay, yes, I did have a ‘Pony’-themed nation in NS at one point… but that was during the period when I had well over a hundred puppets scattered through the game, covering a verrry wide range of other themes as well.

5. This trophy is called either the ‘Ursine-Equine Cup’ or the ‘Equine-Ursine cup’, depending on who you ask. It was originally contested between Equestrian States and Armed Bears, back when the Ponies were still relatively new to World Cup competition, but Bears Armed took over the ‘Ursine’ side of things after A.B. dropped out of international sports. Unfortunately I can’t remember (or find my notes about) the last time that the Bears held it…

6. Bears typically have slightly worse eyesight than humans do, on average, but significantly better senses of smell: They therefore tend to say things like “that smells” or “I can smell that” where we might say “that looks” or “I can see that” respectively.

7. Bear in mind that, IC, the Bears don’t know that KPB ratings actually affect — rather than just measure success…

8. BAAS = ‘Bears Armed Association for Soccer’, the governing body for this sport in this nation.

9. Okay, I did remember that the Ponies are a good team when I thought about issuing the invitation, but I forgot (and didn’t check) just how good they are..
:blush:

10. In the standard Ursine time-measuring system that I’ve already mentioned earlier in this same thread, an ‘instant’ is a sixty-four’th of a ‘moment’ and thus equivalent to [in our own RL time-measuring system] fractionally over 1.3 seconds.

11. Florise uses “country-cub” as an endearment when speaking to Bark because he had a rather more rustic upbringing than her and she used to joke about that before they became close to each other. (In the RL ‘Superman’ comics, Lois has been known to call Clark either “Kansas” or “Smallville” for the same reason: I haven’t yet considered how this applies with the Florise & Bark in the Bears own IC ‘Superbear’; comics…)

12. For my bears, the use of ”furless” as a swearword is only around the same level as British use of “bloody”, rather than comparable to anything else beginning with “fu-“ that might occur to some of you…

13. That’s how Equestrian States RPs it as working anyway: I asked them.
H’mm, I wonder how this applies to Pegasi wings?

14. “dislivered” = “disheartened”.

* Okay, except that I used to buy ‘Kinder Surprise chocolate eggs’ quite often, and those sometimes included MLP-related figures in the ranges of little toys that they contained…

And that’s that write-up finished. I simply couldn’t have got it all typed-up in the computer time that I had available on any single day, and decided to split it into three instalments like that instead of waiting until it was all done to post in one go just in case something in RL got in the way…
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Wrecker
Attaché

Founded: Feb 16, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wrecker » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:39 am

The Press Box of Patrick Stadium, Halsted, Wreckeria
A few days before Match 1: Wreckeria v. Mareibat
Downstairs, one of final practice session before the first Wreckerian international match in 54 years was going on, and it was going well. The players and the coaches were excited about how it was going. Any jitters that had existed in the early practices had started to go away. The midfielders were on the same page. Ditto with the forwards and the defensemen, and the goalkeeper, Harold Leslie, was stopping everything. It looked good, and Wreckeria had a lot of reason to be excited about what was coming ahead of them.

In the press box, a handful of reporters from the Wreckerian media were covering the proceedings, but in the corner of the somewhat-dilapidated room, Bob Langdon and Dave Simmons were meeting. It was the first time in 54 years that Bob had been in Wreckeria, and just to be safe, he had been accompanied by a couple of guards hired by the Hapilopper Football Association. The two guards weren’t paying Bob and Dave any mind – they were watching the practice going on, and they liked what they were seeing.

Upon starting their conversation, Dave asked Bob for his first impressions of Wreckeria having come from the Halsted National Airport to Patrick Stadium.

“Well, the impression I get is it’s a nation that’s coming back,” Bob said. “When I left here, it was a battlezone. People were dying. I came here and found smiling faces and people just genuinely happy. I see a place rebuilding, and anything I can do to help, I’ll be more than happy to.”

“I’m glad you said that, sir, because we’re really trying to get back to where we think we should be at,” Dave replied with a smile. “We’re not there yet, but we’re getting there.”

The two discussed a number of topics, including what life was like in Wreckeria before the war, and just what happened of his teammates. That latter topic was not really a pleasant one for him to recall, but he was prepared for it, and he knew it was coming.

To help, Dave had brought a picture from his office to Patrick Stadium to help jog Bob’s memory. The picture, long since faded and weathered with age, was the team picture of the Wreckerian squad from the 30th World Cup. Many people had already been identified, and identified as either having disappeared, fled, killed, or survived the warring but are no longer around. One of them, who wore #7, was immediately recognized by Bob, who had one hell of a story to tell.

“That’s Drake Stevenson,” Bob said. “He was our lead striker for the national team. But days before our first match, he got picked up by some of those True Wreckerians and we never heard from him again. He had a wife and a young son. Carl, I think the son’s name. Either way, they fled to Hapilopper and never looked back.”

“Is he related…”

“Yes,” Bob said, knowing the question. “Drake was Ernie’s grandfather that he never knew. Now, I know that the Stevenson brothers heard a lot of stories of how horrific Wreckeria had been, so I don’t know how willing they would be to come over here. Hell, I think both of them dread the concept. But if what I’m seeing goes beyond the surface, I think they’ll be more open to it sooner, rather than later.”

The two walked over to the window of the press box to watch some of the final practice session. Bob had been the equipment manager for the Hapilopper City Soldiers, that nation’s most well-known football club, for a quarter-century, and he had seen more than a few matches over the years. As he looked at the practice going on, he was liking what he was seeing.

“I think this team’s better than we were,” Bob said with a smile. “They look athletic, they look like they know what they’re doing, and they look like they can elude their opponents pretty well. Where’d you get these guys?”

“We kind of picked them off the street,” Dave joked, pointing to individual players. “See Claude Tindall there, number 9? We saw him run from pissed off defenders in a street game and plow past the goalkeeper for a goal. See Scott Murphy, number 2? Physical as hell. He bowled over a forward and made them wish they had put a little more in the collection plate at church on Sunday. He’s going to make some people’s lives pretty miserable during qualifying matches.”

Bob started smiling. This was what he had wanted to hear.

“Hey, nobody’s giving us a chance this year, but we’re going to beat the hell out of people,” Dave continued, getting more excited as he spoke. “We’re going to be physical and we’re going to play our asses off. Now, I was wondering if you’d like to join us for our qualifying matches. I don’t know how matches we’ll win, hell, we’ll probably lose a lot more than we win, but those boys down there would be really, really excited to see someone that came before them. Maybe you could give them a good word or two. What do you say?”

“Let’s do it,” Bob said. “Maybe they say you’ll finish last, but you never know until you play. I think this team’s going to surprise the hell out of some teams.”

There had been a lot of excitement among the Wreckerians. For starters, Wreckerian Airlines had reported an unusually-high demand for flights to Mareibat for the first match. The Wreckerians would travel about as well as they could, regardless of their financial situation or whatever. There had also been talks of viewing parties all across Wreckeria for the first match. It was hard to say that the Wreckerians had much of a chance, but they’d be supported rabidly by their fellow man, woman and child.

A day or so later, as the Wreckerians got ready to travel to Mareibat, many picked up copies of Wreckerian Sports News, and read in-depth stories about just who Bob Langdon was, and why he meant so much to the Wreckerians. The excitement was building and it seemed like this time, things would be different. Things would be better. A new era for the Republic of Wreckeria had begun, and it would be a happy one, to say the least.
Puppet of Hapilopper
Made with pride in Atlantian Oceania.

Mercedini
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Mercedini » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:46 am

What's Up At The World Cup
Talking Points & pre-MD1 Friendly
@ Zoloroni Sports City Stadium - Zoloroni, Mercedini

Multiversal Football's Admin Crisis
How old would you say you were? That is the question plaguing the football community after it was revealed the ages of the multiverse's top transfers were not consistent between associations, prompting calls from many within the Mercedinian FA for a standardised ageing system throughout the whole of the spot. There is no secret that different nations age their population differently, which can be attributed to a plethora of local and artificial factors. The bookkeeping and administration of said players can be made messy by these differences when it comes to keeping track of the ages of players.

From a Mercedinian perspective, domestic players are easy to keep track of due to their age correlating with the rest of the people within the nation, however Mercedinian players abroad and foreign transfers coming to domestic clubs can become a sticking point between associations, causing friction as they decide the age basis which decides who they can play for and at what point. This problem went relatively unchecked for years, before then second-division Zoloroni Park were hit with a M15,000 fine following an investigation into the club fielding an ineligible player in their MFA Youth Cup Fourth Round Tie against Humber Valley. The player in question was a Bonesea national who was fielded as a 19-year old within the books of Zoloroni Park. However, as is well known, due to the climate and environment of Bonesea, citizens age seven times faster than those in Mercedini, resulting in the Bonesea player actually being 36-years old according to his association. A 36-year old participating in a tournament for Under-21s was always going to raise eyebrows, the subject went viral thanks to national and international tabloids questioning the practices of both associations.

However, there is no easy fix to the subject given the competing interests of associations to keep their books simplified. An MFA policy was released to ensure every player (domestic and foreign) would stick to Mercedinian age laws while playing in the nation. This, combined with the existing policy that Mercedinians abroad would still remain under Mercedinian administration, was met with criticism and accusations of double standards from other associations. The most vocal was that of Eastfield Lodge, who unilaterally adjusted the ages of their players once they were placed on the transfer list by Mercedinian clubs, the policy was deemed null and void after two weeks.

It raises the question of uncertain eligibility and brings in concepts of fraud and impersonation with so many associations operating with competing and sometimes contradictory age policies. A 16-year old Mercedinian would be 17 come the following edition's tournament, while other nations would now start that player as old as 20-years old, or, once again, as a 16 year old. It is an unfortunate complication which has seen domestic MPL sides tread carefully when fielding foreign players for age-restricted/grouped tournaments due to ineligibility risks. In the most recent season, MPL clubs voted unanimously to remove the 'age' category in senior administration records to remove the problem of age entirely from next season's rosters. A dramatic and rather extreme solution to a situation that is growing ever more complex by the day, or four days, or no days, you decide.

Mercedini 2-0 Tulize @ Zoloroni Sports City Stadium - Zoloroni, Mercedini
Goals: Karlovic 51', Alva 86' (P)
Attendance: 38,090

Only one pre-World Cup friendly was in the offing for the Mercedinian National Team before their opening match, organised against a debuting nation at the World Cup. Many questioned the usefulness of the match given it wasnt against an established side and the fact Lyndainium was fielding what looked to be the second side, when the first team needed minutes and fitness before their stacked calendar which will see eighteen matches, one after the other.

In a half-full Sports City Stadium, Mercedini ran out comfortable 2-0 winners with young guns Karlovic and Alva getting on the score-sheet and opening their accounts for the new cycle. Tulize pushed hard on numerous occasions and gave a good account of themselves as they held out for a goalless draw in the first half, but the quality shone through for Mercedini after the restart, with Karlovic opening the scoring after slotting home a long through ball from Garzallo. Things ended in a stalemate throughout the second half before Alva was bought down in the box for a penalty. Alva claimed the ball as his own and sent the keeper the wrong way to make the match safe for the home side.

One concern for organisers would be the small turnout from Mercedinian fans because of the opposition, with Dini have to play many more matches against team much like Tulize, meaning the national team could be playing in half empty stadiums for much of the camapign. Dini reputation on the football stage did take a hit following accusations that the MFA 'was not bothered' about promoting the sport in Mercedini and internationally following the Independants Cup. The tournament saw capacity crowds for most matches, but still saw some of the lowest match attendances ever see in the tournament due to the tiny stadia which was selected within the cities of Zoloroni and Langtree. It could be much of the same when the unranked sides visit Zoloroni and are greeted by ens of thousands of empty seats.
.................................................................................................................................
Novapax Founder • Host Portfolio • Trophy Cabinet
World CupBest: Group Stage ('77, '81, '82, '83)
Cup of HarmonyBest: Champion ('72)
U21 World CupBest: 3rd Place ('43)
U18 World CupBest: Champion ('4)
Independents CupBest: Champion ('5)
WC of HockeyBest: 2nd Place ('37)
WJHCBest: Champion ('13)
WorldVision
Best Placing: 1st (Lipa '72)Most Points: 108 pts (Lipa '72)

World Hit Festival
Best Placing: 1st ('34 & '36)Most Pts: 34 pts (Mousiki '31)
Junior World Hit Festival
Best Placing: 3rd ('3, '4 & '5)Most Pts: 26 pts (Tushlark '5)
Mercedini in WVSC & WHFs

Hapilopper
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hapilopper » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:57 pm

(NOTE: This article has been reprinted in full from this week’s edition of The Hapiloppian, Hapilopper’s leading general affairs magazine. Subscribe for one year at $55, or 50 percent off the cover price, at thehapiloppian.co.hp and use the promo code “WC84”.)

THE STATE OF HAPILOPPIAN FOOTBALL

By Jane Michaels, The Hapiloppian

Dominic Probst is hard at work. It’s 6:15 in the morning, and Probst is in the middle of reviewing sponsor proposals for the Hapilopper National Football Team, as well as the domestic league. Probst is the President and CEO of the Hapilopper Football Association, the nation’s professional soccer league, a league that has seen tremendous growth in terms of fan support in the past year and a half. As President and CEO, Probst is responsible for a number of tasks, such as handling disputes between players and teams, hiring and firing staff for the national team and issuing sanctions against players and teams for a variety of reasons, among a variety of other things. With all of that needed of him, Probst doesn’t mind reviewing some sponsor proposals.

“Actually, it kind of relaxes me,” Probst says with a laugh as he sits back in his cramped Hapilopper City office, overlooking a practice field built for the national teams the HFA fields. “You know, these companies are buying into the concept of Hapiloppian football and it warms my heart to see. A few years ago, we were playing in front of empty stadiums and nobody really cared. Now, we’re filling Capital Stadium and all the other stadiums in the Dominion, our ratings are near the top and we’re highly regarded, I think. I think we’re in good shape.”

It all started about a year and a half ago when the HFA’s senior team entered the Baptism of Fire, a tournament for nations entering their first World Cup. In the competition against 34 other teams, “The Haps,” as they are popularly called, went undefeated and took the trophy. Hapiloppians looking for something to cheer for found it in the national team, and fell in love with the sport almost overnight. The HFA became an overnight success, and fans filled their local stadiums hoping to get a glimpse of their favorites. Soon, everywhere from Hapilopper City to Pinkerton and Garvinson was packed with fans hoping to see some of their favorites.

But as the stock of Hapiloppian football rose domestically, it rose elsewhere. The senior team’s 3-0 defeat of then-8th ranked Brenecia raised the nation’s profile among international observers, and it raised the profile of certain players. For instance, Ernie Stevenson, who scored all three goals in that match, got the attention of clubs in both Brenecia and Nephara. Probst pointed to that match as a turning point for Hapiloppian football.

“That match was both the best thing and the worst thing to happen to us,” Dom said, thinking about his words. “It was the best thing because people started taking us seriously. Before the Brenecia match, I think people thought of us as a team getting lucky, a nation that probably wouldn’t stand a chance against some of the powerhouses, and that’s probably true, but we wound up going to Brenecia and we beat them decisively. Ernie went in and scored all of those goals.”

But why was it the worst thing to happen to Hapiloppian football?

“Because I’m going to argue that it hurt us domestically, at least in the short term,” Dom replied, the seriousness obvious in his voice. “The Soldiers, our top domestic team, Ernie was their star player. Pretty soon, he gets offers from a couple of teams, Leichhardt was one of them, and I think Southern Star in Brenecia was the other. Pretty soon after, other Hapiloppians get offers to join domestic teams, and just like that, we lost ten star players to transfers. The Soldiers lost their biggest star to Leichhardt and their top goalkeeper, but hell, Garvinson got decimated and the fans were furious.”

After winning the HFA Cup this year, Garvinson sold four players – the three “Midnight Express” players and a top defenseman – to different teams. Bobby East, a midfielder, went to FC Kaiserhaven in Siovanija and Teusland; John Cornett, a striker, went to Gladerial United in Valanora, Stan Long, a forward, went to United Marietta in Xanneria, and defenseman Paul Dibble went to Juavi FC in Valanora. All four players are members of the national team.

There were, however, some gains. Ernie Stevenson was, for all intents and purposes, replaced with Pablo Scotti, a top player from Brinemouth; Slater Jant, a goalkeeper from the Squornshelan Remnant States, was signed to United Hampton Cities; and Glenn Hailey, a 37-year old striker from Xanneria, got picked up by Pinkerton City. But still, Probst explained that HFA is having to build new stars.

“We’ve got some young players coming up, and they’ll be pretty well received, I think,” he said. “We’ve got a really, really strong youth program in each of our 20 teams, and I think they really came out in the last two youth tournaments.”

The HFA fielded teams in the Di Bradini Cup for under-21 players and the Sporting World Cup for under-18 players. The under-21 team won the third-place playoff over Mrrin, 4-1, while the under-18s were beat in the SWC final by Baker Park in overtime. Probst said that while that under-18 final had a heartbreaking result, it was also reason to celebrate.

“Sure, Baker Park beat us in the Sporting World, but you know, why were we there? How did we get there?” Probst asked. “We got there because we had a good team, a good staff, firing on all cylinders. Those kids – and the same with the under-21s, too – they’re coachable, they’re talented and they’re willing to do whatever it takes to get us to the top. Not all of them will stay here. A good bit of them will go to other nations to do their thing. But the players we do have, they’ll be stars here for years to come.”

Some of those under-21s, such as Ferdinand Fairburn, August Burton and Claire Randall, will be on the senior team for this upcoming World Cup, a tournament Probst thinks the HFA’s team will be able to qualify for, even if they don’t win their group. That’s a sentiment that many within the HFA agree with, and a sentiment shared by many Hapiloppian pundits, such as Jon Arnold of Venerable Television. Arnold, the head of VTV’s sports division and the network’s lead commentator, is bullish on the team’s chances and of soccer in Hapilopper as a whole, even if one team – a big team at that – stands in the way.

“I’m just going to say it right now: They are not winning the group. The Haps are not winning group six,” Arnold said emphatically. “The only reason, however, that they are not winning group six is because Equestria is in group six. The Equestrians are winning group six. That is obvious and everyone in the sport knows it. The group is going to come down to a battle for second place, and I like Hapilopper’s chances a lot. They’re good when they’re hitting above their weight.”

Arnold ordered the 45-year old Venerable Television, one of Hapilopper’s “big three” broadcast networks, to take a chance on Hapiloppian soccer a couple of years ago, and since the Baptism of Fire, the gamble has paid off.

“We got the deal for cheap because at that time nobody in television really gave a shit about football in Hapilopper,” Arnold said in his office in downtown Hapilopper City. “Before the Baptism, football was on cable television – and deep into cable television at that. H-Sports had it late at night or on weekday afternoons when everyone’s at work. Nobody cared. The networks didn’t care and the fans didn’t care.”

Arnold suggested that the HNFT’s success at the Baptism of Fire may have saved his job at Venerable Television, whose sports department has seen various properties – such as the HASCAR Challenge Cup stock car series and the HFL gridiron football league go to other networks.

“We got the HFA on the cheap, and our numbers were really poor for the first year,” Arnold said. “In fact, it went below a threshold we were trying to avoid as far as low numbers. Well, after that season, we had the Baptism and for whatever reason, Hapiloppians wanted to see them beat the rest of the world. So they tuned in, they learned the game and they fell in love with it. They fell in love with the characters. They fell in love with Cooter, with Stevenson, with Hunnisett, and it’s to the point where they’re paying attention to the domestic league now, and we’re seeking rights to air matches from Nephara and wherever else some of the big names are playing.”

As another sign of the sport’s health in Hapilopper, VTV has launched an on-demand service for fans in the Dominion to watch any and every game from the World Cup Qualifiers, regardless of who’s playing. The service, which is taking subscriptions today on the network’s website wc84.vtv.co.hp for $65, has already gotten 200,000 subscribers in the week it has been open. Typically, matches involving the Hapiloppians are the only ones aired on the free-to-air VTV network. Arnold suggested, however, that there is a huge demand to see how the other teams are doing.

“During the last World Cup, we received a ton of messages on social media asking how they could see the other matches,” Arnold said. “Last year, we aired Hapilopper’s matches and if we could, the matches from the other teams in the group. Well, what we didn’t know was there was a demand from fans, and a big one at that, to see the big guns like Starblaydia and Vilita and Turori and Baker Park and those places, and what we’re doing is catering to that demand. We’ll air the Hapiloppian matches on the free-to-air rabbit ears VTV, and online, we’ll show every other match.”

Arnold and Probst had their own ideas for the matches people are wanting to tune in and see.

“Well, I know lots of people are wanting to watch Group 2,” Arnold said. “There’s a lot of interest here to see how Trolleborg will do as the Baptism of Fire champs. Everyone here knows the Sherpas from the baseball and the racing, and I think there’s a lot of fans here of the team from Terre Septentrionale. The Haps have played the Nordiques a ton and I know people all over Hapilopper want to see the Nordiques succeed and maybe the two teams can play each other in the World Cup proper. Group 10 is also one I want to watch because of our neighbors to the west, Wreckeria.”

Wreckeria, that nation having just recovered from over a half-century of violence, is sending a team to qualifications for the first time since the 30th World Cup. There are questions over how the team will fare, and some suggest that the team might wind up doing better than expected. Arnold said he hopes for the best from the Wreckerians, a thought not shared by Probst.

“Spare me the sympathy,” Probst said with a hint of anger in his voice. “You know, those filthy Wreckerians have done nothing but cause trouble. They shot up the HNE in 1980. I was there. I can’t believe people are forgetting what those filthy Wreckerians did to us. I hope they lose every fucking match.”

Probst said, however, that he expected Group 2 to be highly-viewed, as well as the rest of Group 6’s matches.

“Fans are going to want to tune in to Group 6, particularly Equestria’s matches, to see if they can find a weakness in their game,” Probst quipped. “If they find one, please call us because we have yet to find one.”

The first match for the Hapiloppians puts them against Vdara, an unranked nation in their group. The match will take place at Capital Stadium in Hapilopper City, and according to officials with Capital Stadium, the match sold out all 66,025 seats in two minutes. A viewing party is expected a few blocks on Hamilton Square in downtown Hapilopper City, where tens of thousands more are expected to see the first match of what everyone across the Dominion hopes will be a successful qualifying campaign.
HAPILOPPER. Home of TEAM BLUE, Winner of NSSCRA 11/14 and Baptism of Fire 70.
RAISE HELL, PRAISE DALE!
Visit beautiful Esportiva for your next vacation.

TJUN-ia
Minister

Founded: Oct 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby TJUN-ia » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:30 pm

TJUN-ia Update: Fixture List

After a chaotic draw process, The Jaguar's fixture list now stands as follows...

MD1: vs Taeshan (26) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
MD2: @ Free Republics (17) - MingleDome, Latroit
MD3: vs Nakhistan (UR) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
MD4: @ Savojarna (43)
MD5: vs Jeruselem (54) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
MD6: @ Schottia (158) - Harbour Hill Stadium, Handon
MD7: vs Geektopia (104) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
MD8: @ Galar (202)
MD9: BYE
MD10: vs Balqia (91) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
MD11: @ Welzat (318)
-----------------Christmas Break---------------------
MD12: @ Taeshan (26)
MD13: vs Free Republics (17) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
MD14: @ Nahkistan (UR)
MD15: vs Savojarna (43) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
----------------New Year's Eve Break----------------
MD16: @ Jeruselem (54)
MD17: vs Schottia (158) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
MD18: @ Geektopia (104)
MD19: vs Galar (202) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City
MD20: BYE
MD21: @ Balqia (91)
MD22: vs Welzat (318) - National Stadium, TJUN-ia City

It is unclear how powerful these opponents are, however Manager Davis Seems recognises the first 5 games are very important. "In the first 5 games
we have 4 teams in the top 100 of the entire tournament, along with Nakhistan - an unranked team we shouldn't underestimate. It will be critical to get as many ponits as we can from these teams so we can strengthen our position moving on."
1st: ECC4/5, NSSCRA13, RLWC22, IBS20, EBT3, EIHT2
2nd: NSCF24/26, ARWC4, WC:TOTS, IBC34, IBS17, RUWC33/35, ECC6
3rd: ARWC3, IBC32, ECC3/7, ARWC6, ET20IV
NSSCRA - JR
T1: #07 Michael Stefan (S13 T1 Champ/9W)/#64 Alfonso Mercado (3W)/#03 Maddison Riley-Jones (S10 T2 Champ/2W-T1/3W-T2)
T2: #96 Alice Jepkosgei (3W)/#70 Gongming Gao [NCR] (5W)/#79 Axel Chase

WGPO: #11 Lane Carter (2W)/ #9 Batu Tüvshinbayar (WGP2 S5 Champion/1W)
NSTT: 4 S-Titles (3 RU)/2 D-Titles (6 RU)

UN - U1
TJUN (Ta-Jun) - An organ of the UN that focuses on "international role-play" (i.e. USA = Fang the Sniper) (U2)
TJUN-ia (Ta-Jun-ee-a) - The testing grounds of TJUN members, but operates as an independent nation. (U3)

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:18 pm

(OOC: the game mechanics for this arc belong to Chrononauts, by Andy Looney; historical nations and events referenced belong to those players.)

There are those who believe that the universe is not one, but many. That at every quantum juncture, or maybe just historically noteworthy turning points, different worlds are created. What if the rouge-et-noirs of Ariddia had never brought international football to the outside world? What if Zwangzug had never fielded a team? What if the MUFN hadn't been founded? Some people even believe that for each of these junctures, there is a parallel timeline with different versions of the same people, and other people whose parents never met in our world.

These beliefs are, of course, unfounded. If every world is equally real, nothing accomplished in this amounts to anything. Where is the triumph in a victory if every other team, in some other universe, could have just as easily won that tournament or another?

Still, it's fertile ground for imagination.

Coming soon from Lunar Lexicon: Kairothletes, the game of ever-shifting history. With a "team" of eight castaways from different alternate histories, you the player must carefully paradox and patch the timeline until each one is returned home. Along the way, speculate as to what might have been in various timelines.

Not-so-FAQ below:

Is this only a solo game, or is there a multiplayer edition as well?

A proposed multiplayer variant would feature several new types of cards such as Relics; travel into the past or future to collect va'karela'ny and other odd souvenirs. However, for this playthrough, we will only be demoing the solo version.

Why are these events disproportionately Zwangzug-centric?

Because we're publishing the game, foo. There would be no way to include all the important events of world football history, or even all the prominent teams. But hit up our offices if you want to look into licensing a re-retheme.

Isn't the causality link overly simplified, like if A hadn't happened it would affect not just B but also C and D...

Yes, some things had to be significantly streamlined to fit in a single deck.

Are the characters based on real people?

Not specifically, but in some cases their intended nationality can be inferred. In others we borrowed from the Hall of Fame to nod to the history of more countries who we couldn't fit in the timeline proper, but who reflect a variety of linguistic and ethnic diversity. They should not be construed as the equivalents of those people, unless of course you want them to be.

What if I get a hand that's impossible to win with?

Shuffle and draw again, the game's not that long. (We may wind up doing this.)

Are you including non-World Cup football history?

Everything has been roughly standardized to the World Cup timeline, but there are a couple events in relatively "recent" history where domestic club football takes the stage.

Glorifying and fetishizing history is a mistake, for everyone who claims to be interested in the statistics there are ten more who only want to self-aggrandize or belittle newcomers' contributions, this project is a disgrace and I--

Sydney, don't you have a practice to get to or something?
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Bolgano
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bolgano » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:45 pm

BOLGANO SPORTS

Frederik: Good morning Bolgano, we are here in our studio bringing you the sports information of Bolgano, there is also our good friend, Kevin Dalt.

Kevin: Hello everyone, today we will have our sports reporter in the training of the national team before his debut in 2 days in front of nothing more and nothing less than Nephara, the strongest team in this group and we already face him, true?

Frederik: If so, both games were defeats but we tried in our first classification * receive a call * well we have a signal with Julius Frigerman.

Julius: Hello beautiful people from Bolgano, our team has been around 3.00 AM or so, we saw some players where we managed to talk to them, especially the topic of Tom Evans, that problem he had with the owners of Fedek ASS, or rather just with his owner where he had some stupidity, that is, he ended up losing, but we are here to talk about his warm-up, we all know that Nephara is a very, very strong team in attack, where defense will be the goal of our performance in this match, if we want to achieve the classification we must find the weak points of our rivals.

Frederik: Well Julius, how are you doing with the training?

Julius: At this time they are warming up, they have not yet started, in that other area there are several fans waiting for some opportunity to get an autograph but continuing with the issue, we saw that those who arrived earlier were Jamie Razor and his son Daniels Razor, we know Daniels has a good shot, another player is Riot Birgot, the best Bolgano assistant who tries to continue training his centers and passes, Daniels Frizzel will train the front and Red Nines and Francis Thom as goalkeepers, since our substitute goalkeeper was injured in the Last league game.

Kevin: Well, you have to see a lot of analysis about Nephara, first is that their league is quite tough, one of the strongest in the multiverse and makes them more prepared, since a match in their league is like a decisive match of the Esportiva Campionate.

Frederik: That is a problem for Bolgano, as soon as our league has local players, we hardly see any international players, we have had players who were ready to retire and wanted to play their last year in a low league, such as Vilita, Equestria, Banija, Valanora etc. .

Julius: Well I retire, see you

Frederik: Okay, thanks for your time, and we'll see you in a next broadcast of BOLGANO SPORTS.
Ranking KPB: 95 (8.24)
Trigram: BGN
Titles: Wonder Cup 1, Beconailles (Andres Da Silva)

Folmara
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Folmara » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Folmara Radio Commission Headquarters, Werninberal

Tibesso began his broadcast with a paper in his hand, the second attempt at a draw that would be seen by the "Cursed Cup"

"Alright ladies and gentlemen, it is time to reveal our group."

He opened up the folded piece of paper, and began to laugh uncontrollably into the mic, he collected himself about a minute later.

"Now before I say anything I would like to make a comment, we are screwed boys, it's over already, but I'll let y'all judge for yourselves so here is the drawing

Group 3:
Eastfield Lodge (53)
The Sarian (112)
Competitive Solitaire (81)
Schiavonia (132)
Mercedini (28)
Tara & Cambray (269)
Starblaydia (6)
The Ross Isles (349)
Folmara (UR)
Magnaterrica (252)
HUElavia (55)

As with the newspapers original predictions for our former drawing, I predict a fifth place finish for us, not because of our skill but because I don't want to drink losing shots, realistically i think sixth or lower, because our result against HUElavia is the only thing to go off of, I personally do not think we will get many points off anyone higher ranked than them, maybe a lucky draw against Mercedini will be the best we do. Still no word on any changes in the Folmara line-up, and as the potential friendly match opponents goes up with the Hozo World Cup now at 9/16 entrants, It seems like a no-brainer to get some practice in. That's all folks sorry for the short broadcast, I'm Tibesso Liberowyn of FRC113, tune in tomorrow for more news, laughs, and opinions society will tell you not to like.

Republic of Guadalajara
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Guadalajara » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:25 pm

The Republic drawn into Group 4 of the World Cup 84 Qualifiers

After a long hiatus, football is back to the Republic of Guadalajara and with it, the national team is also back to the World Cup, having last participated God knows when. The Tapatíos have been drawn into group 4, which is as follows:

Group 4:
Guadalajara (341)
Sajnur (76)
Turori (11)
Benjamin Mark (132)
Cosumar (18)
Saintland (161)
Devonta (67)
Pink Floyd FC (241)
Barsland (318)
95X (40)
Ynyslas (UR)

Experts nationwide are not optimistic about our chances this time and are predicting a solid 8th place finish.

Chromatika
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Chromatika » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:07 pm

Previously...

Part 1: The Plan

It had been a year since Joan Myrtle had found Keira Andisori and the Chromatiks. In that time, the previous Enlightened had told the current Chromatik leaders all that she knew about Venom, or The Black Mark. How he, the Black Mark, had used his influence to corrupt your nation's political and cultural system. It was decreed by The Three that intervention was necessary; two of The Enlightened had succeeded in starting what your histories call The Rainbow Revolution; it was powerful enough to stop the machinations of The Black Mark, but it was not successful in catching The Black Mark himself.

The Black Mark and his prisoners, Jordan Lawless and Trenn Rien, had still not been found; instead, the actual arena of the future turned out to be the upcoming election. There was the Rainbow Party, the Checkers Party, and the Justice Party, a rogue party who wants to just catch every single criminal from the Rainbow Party and put them to justice: death by a firing squad. Alina Krasnikova had stated that that was way too ridiculous and uncalled for; that being said, some justice was still required.

Five years removed from the Rainbow Revolution, this will be the very first democratic election. All five districts and two islands will vote, and there will be foreign emissaries - Cosumar, Equestria, and Banija being the biggest presences; they'll have both media and actual dignitaries present.

There will be three debates between three Premier candidates. The Rainbow Party will be represented by one Keri Wyse Aart, now wife to one Luuk Aart; the Checkers Party will have Mikhail Gowers, a retired previous-dark Purple dignitary, and the Justice Party will have Benjamin Parson, a previous light red laborer, run for office. The Justice Party isn't expected to win, but they're just doing whatever they can to generate as much noise as possible.

With the world watching, this is time to actually show them that Chromatika is changing for the better.
Former User of the Nations of Yesopalitha and Falconfar

Champion: WBC 52, NSCF 24, 26, 28, and CoH 82
Regional Tournaments: AOCAF 55 Champions, 52 & 63 Runners-Up
WC Proper Appearances: Second Place: 93 Semifinals: 76 Quarterfinals: 77, 78 Round of Sixteen: 79, 80, 87, 88, 92 Group Stage: 81, 83, 84, 86, 89
CoH Appearances: 77 (Ro16), 85 (Ro16), 90 (Champions), 91 (QF)
KPB Ranking: 5 (Pre 95)
RP Population: 22 million

PotatoFarmers
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Chapter 2a: Problems, Problems everywhere

Postby PotatoFarmers » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:12 am

First Two Friendlies

Poafmersia 3 - 3 Lons
Scorers: Handris 27'; Moonar 72', 88'

Qasden 4-6 Poafmersia
Scorers: Haodao 7', 33', 66'; Moonar 11'; Handris 55'; Carisa 88'

Fiskadaha, Poafmersia
Adnan Suliaha woke up at 7am after the draw. He did not attend the draw at Cassadaigua, choosing to let the PFFA officials attend on his behalf and staying home instead to prepare for the friendly tomorrow. However, the silence was really awkward. He asked to be informed of the draw, but nothing came. Horrified, he called the PFFA officials who were present for the draw, but was surprised to get a dead line.
"Anything on the news, honey?" he asked his wife.
"No, but it seems that the draw got cancelled due to a technical error, according to the Chriper account of Poafmer Times," replied his wife, Kagita.
"That is weird." Just then, Adnan's phone rang, and he picked up the call.
"Jason Mchanterson, PFFA manager for PF domestic leagues, speaking. Who is that?"
"Ah Jason, it's you. Adnan here. Just checking, what is this I heard about the draw getting cancelled?"
"Oh it's Adnan. Sorry I lost my contacts. Did Shahid or Alison not contact you? Apparently the draw was wrong and we are talking with the officials about a possible redraw."
"Sorry can you explain from the start? I got nothing from anyone about a redraw."
Concerned, Kagita came closer, and Adnan turned on the speakerphone.
"Okay, so they originally made the draw. We were placed in Group 5, in a group with defending champions the Ponies and many other strong teams. Unfortunately, we found that the ranking they used was that our team was at 1.80 ranking points, which makes no sense as we were expected to have around 2.70 points after the 3rd placing in the Baptism of Fire. This made us ranked 200+ according to the original draw."
"Fantastic. So that changed the pot seedings?"
"I am afraid so. They found a few more administrative mistakes, so they are discussing a potential redraw. For now they have put us up at a nearby hotel as they make the overnight decision on what to do next."
"How was the original group?"
"Ridiculous. Many called it a group of death, and they cannot be more wrong. Equestria, Cosumar, Chromatika, Acronius, Port Ember, The Sherpa Empire, Saintland, Nomoterra, Hampton Island, Yttribia. Suicide eh? Top 3 seeds are hot favourites to qualify before the draw, and with a whole bunch of teams like Acronius, Port Ember, Sherpa Empire, Saintland who cannot be ruled out, it is literally a group of death. Everyone thought the other group was bad but when they saw this it was crazy."
"Lucky for us? We got a terrible group, and a redraw makes much better sense for us."
"If they keep the group we can literally go and be supreme underdogs."
"Whatever it seems like there is a redraw, but Shahid and Alison is inside. Oh," Jason paused. "Redraw confirmed? Good to hear. Yup, Adnan, Shahid confirmed it would redraw."
"You let me know again about the redraw results. The match against Baker Park is tomorrow and after that win against Qasden a few days ago we have to prepare for this tough third friendly. Don't know whether we can fish an upset again but we are willing to go forward to see if we can take a nice result."
"Go prepare the team then, I shall not disturb you."

Poafmersia 2 - Commonwealth of Baker Park 8
Daak Kalson 66', 89'

Press Conference after Baker Park Friendly
After the draw in the early morning local time
Poafmersia's fixture list is not the easiest of fixture lists. Their qualification campaign starts with a trip to unranked Squornshelous before playing hosts to Aquitlita. They continue with 5 consecutive matches to top 100 opponents, playing away to second seeds The Macabees before coming home to play 51-ranked Siovanija & Teusland, a team with quite some history behind them and their abilities are well-known. They then play away in Euran Oceania Territories, before coming home to play 100th placed Anthor. Losing to these 2 teams may signal that Poafmersia is on the way out, but a good result from these fixtures will give them confidence as they travel to 73rd ranked Lochario. By then, Poafmersia's abilities would have been obvious as they take a short break on the 8th matchday, possibly with one friendly at home, before hosting Wonder Cup Champions BOLGANO. A must-win trip to the other unranked team, Monso on Matchday 10 will happen before a home match against top seeds and hot favourites for qualification Nephara. A really tough fixture list and group for the team, who are aiming for a top 4 finish in the Qualification group. Head Coach Adnan Suliaha told reporters after the friendly against Baker Park that the team needs to "gain some confidence playing at the top level". "The defeat against Baker Park, a top team, shows the difference in mentality between us and the top. Though we threatened in the first half, they players lack confidence in front of goal and they somehow lost their scoring touch. The defenders seems afraid to make tackles and press the opposing defenders, resulting in 4 really terrible goals that consigned us to a heavy defeat against Baker Park. Really, the scoreline cannot possibly be reflective of the match, but we did poorly today and we cannot afford to have such poor performances if we are going to do well in the qualifiers." About the supposed target for Top 4, Adnan was very honest about it. "If we can get Top 4 out of this group, overtaking at least 3 teams in the process, I must say we have done quite a solid job. It is tough to aim for qualification on first try especially since there are so many tough teams around, and beating higher-ranked opposition means a lot to us as a newcomer to the international football scene. We of course have to make sure we win the matches we should win, get a good results, and be the proper underdogs in this qualification. If we can survive this group, who knows what the players can achieve in the future? Maybe we can get an invitation to the Cup of Harmony and achieve good results there?" He said, referring to the invitational competition for teams who failed to qualify for the World Cup Finals.

Group 5
Anthor (100)
Aquitlita (308)
Bolgano (140)
Euran Oceania Territories (82)
Lochario (73)
Monso (UR)
Nephara (16)
Poafmersia (175)
Siovanija & Teusland (51)
Squornshelous (UR)
The Macabees (25)

Fixture List for Poafmersia:
MD1: Squornshelous (UR - A)
MD2: Aquitlita (308 - H) @ Libira National Stadium, Fiskadaha, Poafmersia
MD3: The Macabees (25 - A)
MD4: Siovanija & Teusland (51 - H) @ Dreamers Park, Fiskadaha, Poafmersia
MD5: Euran Oceania Territories (82 - A)
MD6: Anthor (100 - H) @ TBA
MD7: Lochario (73 - A)
MD8: Bye
MD9: Bolgano (140 - H) @ Libira National Stadium, Fiskadaha, Poafmersia
MD10: Monso (UR - A)
MD11: Nephara (16 - H) @ TBA
(Winter Break - 10 days)
MD12: Squornshelous (UR - H) @ TBA
MD13: Aquitlita (308 - A)
MD14: The Macabees (25 - H) @ TBA
MD15: Siovanija & Teusland (51 - A)
MD16: Euran Oceania Territories (82 - H) @ TBA
MD17: Anthor (100 - A)
MD18: Lochario (73 - H) @ TBA
MD19: Bye
MD20: Bolgano (140 - A)
MD21: Monso (UR - H) @ TBA
MD22: Nephara (16 - A)

Of course the final squad of 35 would be settled before the final friendly. At least that is what was planned. Daak Kalson, the right midfielder from Dury FC, performed well at the friendly today and definitely would make the final 35. Most players from the BoF are expected to stay. As for the rest, well, we wait for Adnan to make his final call to decide who is coming and where.
IC Name: The People's Republic of Poafmersia (Trigram: PFA)
IC Flag: Refer to my flag with my IC nation Poafmersia, though that nation's RP will be done with this account.

IC posts in WA, unless otherwise stated, are made by David Jossiah Beckingham, Chairman of Poafmersia's World Assembly Board.
Sportswire. Chasing The Unknown.
Achievements: BoF 71 Bronze; IAC X and IAC XI Champions
WCC Football (Pre-WCQ93) - 40th, with 18.62, Style: +1.2345
OptaPoaf at work: https://bit.ly/m/OptaPoaf

Flavovespia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 22, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Flavovespia » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:33 am

When the Flavovespian football team landed back in Waldster after their draw at Krytenia in the AOCAF Cup, there were mixed emotions. They knew if they could have won that game, they’d have a knockout stage appearance at AOCAF Cup, in their first ever appearance. However at the same time, there were still many positives to take away. The team got 12 points in 10 games, a very good haul for a debutant nation. They had recovered well from the Cup of Harmony 75, and had caught the eyes of the continent, with performances above expectations that nearly saw them go further than even optimistic Flavovespians predicted.

The big question now for Nick Cole and the Flavovespia side is, where can they go from here? No longer a “new” nation on the scene, they come into their second World Cup Qualifiers as much more of a known quantity. The expectation of being the favourites to win games will come in qualifiers, even with their relative inexperience, and how the team handle this will be vital to their future success. Certainly the team will hope to do enough to return to the Cup of Harmony, and make amends for last time.

Flavovespia took 4 KPB ranking points in their last cycle. With the calculation method, an exact repeat in their next tournaments would leave them on 6 and then 7 points respectively. A rank just outside and just inside the Top 100 respectively is quite possible on that score. However, the more ambitious fans and FFA members would love to see more. It is arguable that the Flavovespia team should do better than an average point per game this cycle. Add to that, with the 2.5 multiplier on PPG in the Cup of Harmony, the failure of Flavovespia to take home a single point from last time affects their rank.

So where realistically is the target for Flavovespia then? A Top 100 rank after this World Cup cycle is certainly an achievable goal to aim for. To do so most likely requires a slight improvement on the form of past time, where exactly 1 PPG was scored in the qualifiers. Indeed, there’s teams who came from nothing to do that in one cycle, albeit with the benefit of the Baptism of Fire. For Flavovespia, 2 nations probably stand out. Hapilopper and Timuria. Both from Atlantian Oceania, they made impressive runs in the last World Cup cycle, including in the Baptism of Fire and the Cup of Harmony. They’re nestled solidly in the Top 100 of the world. It’s an area of the rankings Flavovespia will look to reach. Discarding any potential Baptism of Fire points still only puts a target of around 9 KBP points this cycle. This probably requires a fairly lofty PPG in the World Cup qualifiers, plus actually not losing every Cup of Harmony game, but it is certainly the upper target of what fans believe can be done this cycle.

Speaking of the World Cup Qualifiers, the qualifiers this time are 15 groups of 11, giving a total of 20 games in the qualifiers. Qualifiers will certainly be a marathon and not a sprint, but nevertheless, good runs of form and momentum will be crucial to any success. A second cycle nation, Flavovespia will have to make sure they can meet expectations against the lower pot sides in the group, and hope to grind out results against the higher ranked sides. The length of the qualifiers does mean that games may not feel as essential at times, however anyone who has played or closely followed international football will know that’s rarely the case.

After initial confusion over the draw results, including delays to the first draw, a full re-draw was delivered by the hosts. The group for Flavovespia is as follows, with KPB Rank shown in brackets:

Group 8:
Qasden (23)
Filindostan (59)
Furby Island (UR)
Bliuji (121)
Squornshelan Remnant States (36)
Ziwana (204)
Mitra and Soma (308)
Flavovespia (146)
Mustardy (UR)
Vakolicci Haven and Celeria (74)
South Covello (3)

The fixture list for Flavovespia is as follows:

Matchday 1 - Squornshelan Remnant States vs Flavovespia @ Synesoft Arena, Syneca, Sivolvia, SRS
Matchday 2 - Flavovespia vs Ziwana @ City Arena, Marthorpe
Matchday 3 - Mitra and Soma vs Flavovespia
Matchday 4 - Bye
Matchday 5 - Flavovespia vs Mustardy @ Hornet’s Nest, Waldster
Matchday 6 - Vakolicci Haven and Celeria vs Flavovespia
Matchday 7 - Flavovespia vs South Covello @ Hornet’s Nest, Waldster
Matchday 8 - Qasden vs Flavovespia
Matchday 9 - Flavovespia vs Filindostan @ City Arena, Marthorpe
Matchday 10 - Furby Island vs Flavovespia
Matchday 11 - Flavovespia v Bliuji @ Rovers Arena, Loxthorpe
Matchday 12 - Flavovespia vs Squornshelan Remnant States @ Saints Park, St Astons
Matchday 13 - Ziwana vs Flavovespia @ Izula National Stadium
Matchday 14 - Flavovespia vs Mitra and Soma @ Saints Park, St Astons
Matchday 15 - Bye
Matchday 16 - Mustardy vs Flavovespia @ Johan Speck Nationalstadion, Héronne
Matchday 17 - Flavovespia vs Vakolicci Haven and Celeria @ Rovers Arena, Loxthorpe
Matchday 18 - South Covello vs Flavovespia @ Revolution Stadium, Riverview
Matchday 19 - Flavovespia vs Qasden @ Highland Road, Hadford Hill
Matchday 20 - Filindostan vs Flavovespia @ Filindostan National Stadium, San Marco, Kabishawan
Matchday 21 - Flavovespia vs Furby Island @ Highland Road, Hadford Hill
Matchday 22 - Bluiji vs Flavovespia @ Domitia Stadium or Memorialʹnyy stadion

The noticeable trend in the fixtures is the peaks and troughs in the difficulty according to the seeding, based on KPB values. Nothing can be taken for granted, but in the Matchdays 6-9 and 17-20, 4 of the top 5 seeded teams in the group are Flavovespia’s opponents. These runs of games, known as “gauntlets” by fans, can be the toughest for teams to go through, as they have to navigate a run of teams better than them, where they may also score few points.

Flavovespia start and finish away, their opener against Squornshelan Remnant States and their final game against Bluiji. Although statistically their final game seems more likely to be a points scorer, you can never be sure what the table will look like after 21 matchdays. A 0-0-1 start (W-D-L convention is used in Flavovespia), doesn’t seem that unlikely.

For every run of tough games, there are however theoretically “easier” games, although in international football that may not always be the case. Matchdays 2-5 and 13-16 feature 3 opponents all with a lower KPB ranking than Flavovespia, and it’s games against those 3 opponents, plus Furby Island which Flavovespia will want to see a solid number of points put on the table.

An interesting quirk of the draw was a “snake pattern” was used to determine the stadia used for the 10 matches, with 1-10, 2-9, 3-8, 4-7 and 5-6 in terms of ranking the pairs for each stadium. Due to the fixture list draw, this sees Marthorpe and Waldster host the first 4 home games, followed by Loxthorpe and St Astons, before Flavovespia play in Hadford Hill for the final 2 home group games.

World Cup Qualifying Fantasy Football

A Ko-oren based competition for this World Cup qualifying cycle, the goal of this is to pick 1 team per group, with a maximum of 200 KPB points between all of the teams. The points per group game works as follow:

Win 3 points (+1 if win by 3 or 4 goals, +2 if by 5 or more goals)
Draw 1 point
Lose 0 points (-1 if lose by 3 or more goals)

At the halfway and finish of the qualifying groups, the following points are awarded:

1st: 6 points
2nd: 5 points
3rd: 4 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
6th: 1 point
7th and below – Zero points

Coming up soon, the FFD alongside a few guests will make their picks for the WCQ fantasy football game, and for this World Cup qualifying series, the FFD will be presenting A History of Football in Flavovespia.
Formerly the Republic of Greater Waldster, internationally known as Greater Watford. IC It's a long story (OOC I didn't like using real place names)

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:00 am

Usually, when the Sarzonian national team arrives at their hotel, there's frivolity in the air. Everything from card playing among the veterans to drinking games and loud singing whilst on the bus to the hotel and loud games of Guitar Hero, a legacy left behind by legendary Stars striker Matt Lynch, after the team arrives and checks in.

Not this time. Not with the Stars mourning their manager for just the second time in their history.

Kevin Connelly's task as the newly promoted manager isn't just figuring out how the team's tactics should or shouldn't adjust to his more defensive-minded style. It isn't just how to put his own stamp on a side he was previously guiding from the background instead of being front and centre.

This time, he had far greater concerns like how to help his charges manage their grief, how to integrate with an assistant manager he'd only just met even if he had impressive pedigree, and how to manage his own grief.

He and Bryan Ostrom weren't necessarily best friends, but they worked well together. They formed somewhat of a bond working together during AOCAF. They watched the Under 21 team hold their own against senior national teams, then they began to watch as their own senior national team began to take shape and begin the early task of becoming a team.

And now, just before the opening match against Terre Septentrionale, the team had a much taller order than merely playing its first match away from the friendly confines of Dave Wilson Stadium. Connelly had to start playing grief counselor. He canceled the last full practice, choosing instead to gather the team for a "remembrance" of Ostrom and encouraging individual players to make appointments with the grief counseling centres in and around their homes or in Woodstock.

"This isn't uncharted territory for Sarzonian national teams," Connelly said, recalling Bryan Marshall's death during a World Cup qualifying campaign that led to Dave Wilson being promoted from assistant manager long ago. "Still, for these players, it's a horrible tragedy."

Sarzonia does not have a constitutionally-enshrined right to bear arms. Sarzonians seeking to own firearms need to submit a request to Sarzonian law enforcement including exhaustive background checks, mental health evaluations, written justifications for why owning the firearm would be required, and detailed plans for how to store the weapon and its corresponding ammunition, so the question of how Ostrom obtained a weapon was part of the investigation into his suicide.

"We've lost a manager, but his wife lost her husband. Their children lost their father. We lost a friend," Connelly said. He said the Stars submitted a request to stadium officials at Stadion Krapinska in Kukljica for a moment of silence prior to kickoff. The Stars would walk out with black armbands over their navy-coloured left sleeves and would wear those for the duration of their qualifying efforts for World Cup 84.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:02 am

]World Cup #84: Qualifiers.

‘First Series’

Matchday 1: = ‘Appalachian Nation’ (ranked #182 [decimal] = #266 [octal]; last ‘Baptism of Fire’ => runner-up) = ‘away’.
Matchday: 2 = ‘Five Cities’ (ranked #269 (decimal) = #415 (octal); last ‘Baptism of Fire’ = Round-of-DoubleEight’) = ‘home’ (Wimbley).
Matchday: 3 = ‘Xanneria’ = (ranked #56 (decimal) = #70 (octal); last World Cup => DNQ) = ‘away’.
Matchday: 4 = (bye)
Matchday: 5 = ‘Ethane’ (ranked #32 (decimal) = #40 (octal); last World Cup = Play-offs/DNQ) = ‘home’ (Wimbley).
Matchday: 6 = ‘Razneta’ (unranked; no history at this level) = ‘away’.
Matchday: 7 = ‘Port Ember’ (ranked #86 (decimal) = #126 (octal); last World Cup = DNQ) = ‘home’ (NorthPort).
Matchday: 8 = Lisander’ (ranked #125 (decimal) = #175 (octal); last World Cup = DNQ) = ‘away’.
Matchday: 9 = ‘Ouna’ (ranked #132 (decimal) = #204 (octal); last World Cup‘ = Play-offs/DNQ) = ‘home’ (Wimbley).
Matchday: 10 = ‘Valanora’ (ranked #08 (decimal) = #10 (octal); last World Cup = Quarter-Finals) = ‘away’.
Matchday: 11 = ‘Kelssek’ (ranked #47 (decimal) = #57 (octal); last World Cup = Group Stage) = ‘home’ (Wimbley).

“So: The toughest-smelling two games last in the series?”

“For true. That might help urrs a bit, by giving the Belles longer in hwhich — the Good Spirits willing — they can build some momentum.”

“Ayyuh.
“Talking of
spirits, you have organised the sacrifice to Margaret, hrright?”

“Ayyuh, I have.
An eightSquared of prime-quality Geese, and a full eight of Ostriches.”
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The Sarian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Last edited by The Sarian on Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · Saari CricDatabase

Terre Septentrionale
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Terre Septentrionale » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:15 pm

To: Kevin Connelly, Sarzonia's manager
Cc: Jean-Jacques Piette, President of Association Septentrionale de Soccer
Cc: Slawomir Wyrzykowski, Terre Septentrionale's manager
From: Katarina Perišić, Director of operations, Stadion Krapinska
Subject: Re: Moment of silence

Dear Mr. Connelly,
I'd like to inform you that, after consulting the ASS (Association Septentrionale de Soccer), your request for a moment of silence before the kickoff has been accepted. Here's the pre-kickoff schedule for the Friday june 13th 2025 match against Sarzonia:

6:30 PM: Pre-game concert by Les Vulgaires Accords, a local punk rock band
6:50 PM: Post-concert break
7:00 PM: Players entrance onto the field (both teams)
7:03 PM: Presentation of Sarzonia's players by local announcer Dragomir Badelj
7:09 PM: Presentation of Terre Septentrionale's players by local announcer Dragomir Badelj
7:16 PM: Observation of a minute of silence in memory of Bryan Ostrom, former manager for Sarzonia
7:18 PM: Interpretation of Sarzonia's national anthem by local pop singer Ginette Dion and the Kukljica philharmonic orchestra
7:23 PM: Interpretation of Terre Septentrionale's national anthem by local pop singer Ginette Dion and the Kukljica philharmonic orchestra
7:30 PM: Kickoff

Best regards,
Katarina Perišić,
Director of operations, Stadion Krapinska
Nation name: République de Terre Septentrionale | Trigramme: RTS | Capital: Ville Jacques-Cartier | Maps
Ranks: Hockey: 20th | American Football: 7th | Baseball: 17th | Association Football: 23rd | Rugby Union: 21st
Champions:
Runner Up: Cup of Harmony 76, International Baseball Slam XI
3rd Place: World Volleyball Expo X, International Baseball Slam XII, World Lacrosse Championship XXXV
4th Place: Arena Bowl VI
World Cup participations: WC 85 (3rd place in group), WC 86 (3rd place in group)

Trolleborg
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Trolleborg » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:22 pm

ABAHNFLEFT - TROLLEBORG

So, now we begin our first qualification tournament.
The first match we will play with the Abahnfleft, rated third in our group. But from our (rather paltry) place in the world rank table there was not much difference between first three teams of our group, they all almost invincible. Soberly assessing our chances, many fans, of course, tried their luck in a new computer game "World Cup 84. Tough Road to Victory" dedicated to the qualifying tournament, but only very few achieved at least some success. “This is very, very difficult, and now I know how much,” said one of those who achieved it. Nevertheless, the almost sure defeat did not affect the general state of minds.

Trolleborg fans in not a small numbers already arrive at the scene and behave as always – waving flags, twist a scarves over their heads, show banners, singing songs and trying to pull into the fun everyone around. After warming up in the city center, the "green river" with moved to the stadium, accompanied by mighty singing and orchestra. At the stadium fans occupied their sector, loudly sang the the national anthem when teams arrive on the field, respectfully listened to the hosts anthem and now waiting for the starting whistle. Waiting with some trepidation, we must admit, but it doesn’t affect the quality of support and volume of produced noise by Trolleborg fans.

Team will be on the field in the following line-up:

Obviously, Morten Trogil decided to test his strongest squad in the match with dangerous opponent in order to get the most complete picture of our capabilities. Predictably for such a situation, having decided, in comparison with the scheme that he used at BoF, to replace the second striker with a defensive midfielder.

South Covello
Envoy

Founded: Nov 24, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby South Covello » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:01 pm

SoCo Goes Loco World Cup Qualifying Preview:

Bozo Bryant: Hey hey, coconut lovers, welcome in to SoCo Goes Loco, the Best South Covello Soccer Podcast in the Multiverse!

Shawn Burst: Woot Woot!

Jason St. Pierre: Woot Woot?

Shawn Burst: Yes, Woot Woot!

Bozo Bryant: Anyway, we're going to preview South Covello's World Cup Qualifying Group tonight, Group 8, which rhymes with Great, because South Covello is great.

Jason St. Pierre: And just so you know, there are a lot of random nations in here that nobody cares about so this is probably going to get very sidetracked.

Shawn Burst: Isn't that what we always do, though?

Bozo Bryant: Yep.

Shawn Burst: OK, so the first one in our group is Qasden, ranked 23d in the Multiverse. Qasden, as we all know, should really be called Assden.

Jason St. Pierre: I thought it was pronounced Kaz-din. So that joke doesn't work.

Bozo Bryant: No, it's Cass-din, like Cass-a-dig-you-a.

Jason St. Pierre: No, it's Kaz-a-digwa.

Shawn Burst: Well, we'll find out when we get there for the World Cup and the pilot makes an announcement "Welcome to Wherever the Heck It's Called."

Bozo Bryant: And what if we go to Baker Park?

Jason St. Pierre: Then I guess it'll be pronounced Baker Park.

Bozo Bryant: So not Buh-keer Pay-rak?

Shawn Burst: Nope!

Jason St. Pierre: So Qasden is the highest-ranked team in this Group other than us, but we don't play them until the final matchday of the first half, and again on the final matchday of the qualifying. So it may not matter.

Bozo Bryant: But we want to beat them anyway, because Assden is Ass.

Shawn Burst: Den.

Jason St. Pierre: Way to ruin the joke, Shawn.

Shawn Burst: Why thank you, Jasion, I love ruining jokes.

Bozo Bryant: Anyway, next up is the 59th team in the Multiverse, Filindostan.

Jason St. Pierre: So, Filindostan, as everyone knows, is inhabited by sapient play-dough horses named Stan.

Bozo Bryant: It is not. It is definitely not.

Jason St. Pierre: But we're a nonsense podcast so we're going to pretend it is.

Shawn Burst: That's cool, we can do that. Sweet.

Bozo Bryant: Sweet as pie!

Shawn Burst: Nah, it's too early to talk about pie.

Bozo Bryant: Spoilers!

Jason St. Pierre: Yeah, way to ruin the add, Shawn. We don't like you anymore.

Shawn Burst: Why are you guys so mean to me?

Bozo Bryant: We love you, Shawn. You want a biscuit?

Shawn Burst: Yes, I would love a biscuit.

Bozo Bryant: Then go buy one.

Jason St. Pierre: Guys, let's stop bullying Shawn, please?

Shawn Burst: What do you mean, guys? I'm not bullying myself.

Jason St. Pierre: And we thank you for that.

Bozo Bryant: Anyway, the third team in the group is Furby Island. Furby Island is the sister nation to The Cereal Isle. And whereas The Cereal Isle has sapient cereal people, Furby Island has sapient Furbies. And Furbies are fucking creepy, might I add.

Shawn Burst: Yeah, the smile, the beak, the vibrations.

Bozo Bryant: I once got a furby at a Crappy Meal at McDonnel's. It didn't do anything. It was lame.

Shawn Burst: Guess it was a knockoff Furby.

Jason St. Pierre: Well Furby Island is unranked, so we should easily handle them, but you never know. The Furby might eat our player. That would be sad.

Bozo Bryant: And none of this is true by the way, quite possibly. We really don't care about a place called Furby Island.

Shawn Burst: Yay, now we come to the fourth team in our group, Bliuji, aka Irritable Vowel Syndrome Republic.

Jason St. Pierre: Glad they don't have mandatory prune juice laws. Would really make that Irritable Vowel Syndrome a lot worse.

Bozo Bryant: Yeah, their vowels are shit and they are shit and they should feel bad. But they're ranked 121st so we'll probably beat them.

Shawn Burst: We'd better beat those Vowel Movements.

Jason St. Pierre: Anyway, the fifth team in our group, I can't really pronounce their name so I'm just going to call them Squishillicious Remnant States. And boy are they Squishillicious.

Shawn Burst: What does Squishillicious even mean?

Bozo Bryant: It's a fancy pants way of saying squishy.

Jason St. Pierre: Well I'm pretty sure it's a red card if we try to squish their players.

Shawn Burst: Totally worth it, though. I'd do it if I were called up.

Jason St. Pierre: And this is why you won't be.

Shawn Burst: Yes, this is exactly why I won't be. Not the fact that I only played soccer once in my life and ran away from the ball into the woods crying for my mommy.

Bozo Bryant: Oh that's so sad. How old were you?

Shawn Burst: Five.

Bozo Bryant: Well anyway, that's it for SquishyWorld, and now that we're halfway home, here's a word from our sponsor.

Shawn Burst: Yes, SoCo Goes Loco is sponsored by the new Pieter's Pie Shop, that's P-I-E-T-E-R-Apostrophe-S Pie Shop. Pieter Pieper is the son of Peter Pieper, the deceased owner of Peter's Pie Shop in Riverview, who was brutally murdered when his shop was blown up by Carter Redwin Supporters in a false flag at Redwin the Assclown's orders. Well Redwin is dead thanks to some hero, and Pieter's Pie Shop is back and better than ever with over 100 flavors of pie. And best of all, in memory of his father, if you wish to pie a fascist, tyrant, racist, bigot, or other nutjob in charge, Pieter will give you a free pie. Why not pie Maria Polus? Well, you'd have to travel to the Free Republics to do so, but Pieter will give you a free pie to take with you and pie her in the face. You'll have to play for the plane ticket, hotel, and possible bail yourself, though. But if there's ever a new Carter Redwin, you can pie him in the face on Pieter, to stop him before it's too late!

Bozo Bryant: Well, anyway, now it's time for the sixth team in our group. Ziwana. We should play them at home two hours before sunrise, and then when the game ends we can say Daylight Come and Ziwana Go Home.

Jason St. Pierre: You're lucky bad puns aren't punishable by death anymore.

Shawn Burst: I think we're all lucky for that.

Bozo Bryant: So Ziwana is ranked 204th in the world, another easy victory for us, and we should clobber them and Ziwana Goes Home crying waaah waaah waaah all the way to their mommies.

Jason St. Pierre: No, that's Shawn who cries Waaah Waaah Waaah all the way home to his mommy after playing soccer.

Shawn Burst: I didn't do it all the way home, my mommy drove me home so why would I do that? I just ran into the woods crying.

Bozo Bryant: You had quite a strange childhood.

Jason St. Pierre: Anyway, enough about Ziwana. Nobody cares about them. Next up is the 308th ranked team, Mitra and Soma, which is apparently one nation.

Bozo Bryant: Are they two islands? Two potatoes? Two types of cheese? Nobody knows, nobody cares, it's getting late, they're ranked 300+, let's move on.

Jason St. Pierre: Flavovespie is next, they're ranked 146th or something.

Bozo Bryant: Flavovespia, you mean. Not Flavovespie.

Jason St. Pierre: Shows you how little I care by this point.

Bozo Bryant: Fine, be that way. Shawn, anything to add?

Shawn Burst: I hope they have good Flavo because we're going to eat them alive.

Jason St. Pierre: That was the worst pun yet. Boo!

Shawn Burst: I love bad puns, though.

Bozo Bryant: OK we have two teams left. One is Mustardy, the unranked mustard of tardiness.

Shawn Burst: Mmmmm, mustard of tardiness.

Jason St. Pierre: But the mustard should be on time. It's go to be ready when the hot dog is done.

Shawn Burst: Hot dogs are disgusting and so is anyone who eats them.

Bozo Bryant: Shame on you!

Shawn Burst: No, shame on you for eating that disgusting food!

Jason St. Pierre: At least he doesn't put ketchup on his hot dog.

Shawn Burst: Nobody over the age of 12 should put ketchup on anything.

Bozo Bryant: Fully agree.

Jason St. Pierre: Hell no, don't put ketchup on your food unless you're a little kid. Finally something we agree on.

Bozo Bryant: So anyway, the last team is Vakolicci Haven and Celeria.

Jason St. Pierre: Didn't we kill their King once?

Shawn Burst: Well they kidnapped the prisoners we were going to execute and tried to execute them instead. Or something like that.

Bozo Bryant: We blame The Serbian Empire for that one.

Jason St. Pierre: Do we?

Bozo Bryant: I think so, it was a while ago.

Shawn Burst: Well, maybe the Gregist regime shouldn't have been executing people.

Bozo Bryant: Anyway, that's all the time we have for now, so until next time, so long, farewell, bye bye good bye good bye!
Last edited by South Covello on Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petrovsky
Secretary

Founded: Nov 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrovsky » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:16 pm

Reserved for Petrovsky Bears IC, I'm on mobile rn, so it's kinda hard to type

ZSeparatists
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby ZSeparatists » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:57 pm

(This will be in one large paragraph)

(TBD)
I am not actually a fascist, I used to be a right wing person but now I’m more of a leaning right person.

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:33 pm

KELSSEK'S HOME FOR SPORTS > INTERNATIONAL SOCCER

It’s the start of another World Cup qualification journey and the first set of matches is coming up. François Saint-Louis, a name familiar to a previous generation of soccer fans, takes the helm as interim manager for Kelssek’s first set of fixtures. With all due respect to Razneta, two of these are already important at this early stage, as they feature teams who Kelssek will likely be fighting for qualification spots against. Team selection could well see a shake-up: Adam Corvin's league form for CF Outineau could see him slot into midfield, while Matt Lister has been having a torrid time along with CS Saint-Rémy more generally.

Ethane
Made it to the playoff rounds but fell just short of qualifying for the last World Cup. Many of these players will be familiar to Louis Kuelvic, as he plays for Birdingstone United in their domestic league.

Form: WWLLW
Venue: Exhibition Place, Kirkenes (forecast: strong winds, risk of hail, 5°C)
NSN2, 7:30PM COASTAL

Razneta
These first-time entrants are known to play a defence-first style but there’s no information about their competitive history. They apparently use oil. Interim head coach François St-Louis might use this match to experiment with some younger or less-capped players.
Form: unknown
NSN3, 11PM COASTAL

Port Ember
Last seen being eliminated from the Independents Cup at the bottom of their group.

Form: LLLLW
Venue: Stadium Konoha, Burnaby (forecast: overcast, light winds, 11°C)
NSN2, 3:30PM COASTAL (2:30PM LOCAL TIME)

Bliuji
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bliuji » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Thursday, December 12th. Location: Uptown Héronne in Mustardy

Tomorrow was the day, Bliuji would go up against the unranked and in-experienced Mustardy team. The events leading up to this has been tough, players as well as staff were extremely nervous for the first game of the qualifiers. The attendance isn't expected to be much, considering how naive the opposing team is. Back in Bliuji however, Gabriel Kolesnikov is still being treated for his wounds in Prussia State Hospital, and will be watching the game from there. The profound loss of Gabriel Kolesnikov is going to impact the team, that much will be noticed on the following game days to come; but an even bigger challenge is how Bliuji will persevere without him.

However fans in Bliuji aren't "excited" for this game. Since the game is happening on a weekday, the overall viewership is expected to be low. That is to be expected though with most games in the qualifiers. Bliuji is also expected an average attendance of 17,000 at home games, not impressive by any means. Because it is now winter, the weather is always going to be a big factor as well. Playing in the rough snow won't be an easy task for the young squad.

Outside the hotel

It was a warm day in Mustardy and players were outside waiting for the bus.

"God this place is a dump" said Erik

"No no Erik their economy is a dump" Vitaly chuckled

"I think the entire place is a dump" Andriy responded

"Can't wait to see what their practice field looks like" said Erik

"The weather ain't though" Vitaly said

"You right" Erik said

"Knock knock" Vitaly said

"Who's there?" Erik responded

"Well it's not the bus driver because he is always late" said Vitaly

*Entire team laughs*

"Oh god look here comes the worry bus" said Karp

"What the fuck kind of bus is that" Philip responded

"it's the worry bus dude" said Karp

An beat up and run down 1950's school bus pulled up

When the bus driver opened the doors the bus immediately reeked of beer and marijuana

"This dudes high out of his mind, how many Blunts ya smoke kid?" said Erik

"He doesn't speak English you ree" Vitaly responded

"Oh boy look a bag of loud" said Karp

"Don't even think about it" said coach Andriy Shevchenko

"I was just kidding" Karp responded

"Sure you were" said Andiy

"These seats have so much jizz on them" said Erik

"Oh my god is that a thong?" said Karp

"The bus driver must of had some girls back here" Erik laughed

"Yea no shit" said Karp

"What a legend" said Vitaly

"Hey Vitaly I think I found your moms vibrator" Karp chuckled

"That's my toothbrush you moron" Vitaly responded

It was clear that the bus driver was driving under the influence and it took them an hour to get to the practice field.

"Well this is it boys this is where we start our journey" said Andriy Voronin

"Hell yea" Karp responded

"This field is dog shit" said Erik

"Erik one more bad word and I'm making you get back on the bus with the bus driver until the practice ends" said Andriy

"Sheesh" said Erik.

It was clear that the overall conditions of Mustardy wasn't good compared to back home. The midfield felt quite off because Gabriel Kolesnikov wasn't there and the practice was just sloppy in general. The team has been practicing for the past month and they were more ready than they ever have been. With new faces to the squad, it gives them a better chance in the qualifiers. Bliuji just has to hope that they can avoid injuries on and off the field so that it doesn't prevent them from winning games. But in the end it all comes down to effective communication and team work that will be the difference between qualifying and not.
National soccer team info: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1212689

I know I suck

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:36 pm

OOC: Background

University of Saintland Prep School dormitory

Prince Andreas and his delinquent friends Georgius Lusius and Nicolaus Cosconius had reached the age of 20 and, under normal circumstances, would have been legal adults in Saintland. Prince Andreas, the heir to the Sanctii throne and soccer star who reminded many of his grandfather, should have been the captain of the National Team. However, Sister Catharina Flaccus, the school's theology and deportment teacher and the daughter of Sanctii soccer star Silvester Flaccus, had ordered the three delinquents to attend summer school following their final year of school due to poor academic performance. Should they not perform up to her satisfaction, they would be required to repeat the year. Then just weeks later, they were caught and arrested by the St. Petrus Police Department while smoking cannabis. Upon interrogation, the Prince admitted that he had stolen the cannabis

When King Paulus XVI had discovered the actions of his son, he was furious and nearly ordered the son and his friends prosecuted. Then, he calmed down and realized how embarrassing it would be to the royal family if the heir to the throne were prosecuted for using cannabis. Thus, he eventually gave a "do not prosecute" order and instead asked for the school to hold all 3 of them back and punish them in whatever manner the school saw fit. Ultimately, the school turned to Sister Flaccus to handle the situation as she had a reputation for being especially cruel and sadistic even by the standards of Sanctii educators.

Now, thanks to Sister Flaccus, the school was now flooding the three of them with schoolwork to ensure they had no time for anything else. On top of all of that, they were also required to perform janitorial duties. Of course, they were prohibited from leaving school grounds for any reason and staff members were hired to monitor them 24/7. Nonetheless, Prince Andreas still managed to obtain an issue of Sporting World and read about the World Cup. Under new editor Gloria Trentini, Sporting World was now hiring reporters to report extensively on the deeds of teams other than the Republican team. Thus, Prince Andreas read all about the Sanctii National Team's Copa Rushmori victory over Cassadaigua and their blowout loss to Pasarga. If only they'd let me play for the team, the Prince thought every time he read about the team falling short. Now the latest issue of Sporting World was out and the Prince discovered that the first Sanctii opponent would be Devonta. He suspected that the team would probably lose to Devonta but also knew that they were one of the teams that a Sanctii team should always be able to beat and it just infuriated him.

Unbeknownst to the prince, his friends Georgius Lusius and Nicolaus Cosconius had met a girl named Censorina Tuccius. Censorina was the granddaughter of the National Gridiron Team's star running back and had been named after the legendary West Sanctii prime minister and Feministvs Sanctvsterra leader Censorina Polus. This Censorina was a young girl in her first year at the school. In sharp contrast to the tall, athletic and attractive soccer stars who were being held back a year, Censorina Tuccius was short, skinny, unathletic and extremely awkward. In the first few weeks of the school year, she had yet to make any friends and shown little interest in doing so, preferring to spend her time in the library. Already, she'd been caught out of bounds in the library at midnight on two different occasions and on other nights had only escaped the notice of a teacher because she was extremely quiet and had the good sense to use a computer that wasn't visible by a window. As they were sneaking out of bed to engage in some mischief, the prince's companions ran into this girl. At first, Lusius thought he'd seen a ghost but then all 3 of them heard Sister Flaccus out and about. Cosconius thought quickly, and rushed the three of them into a nearby classroom where they hid with the lights turned off. After Flaccus had passed, they began chatting amongst themselves.

Georgius Lusius - So you spend all of your time on the computers?

Censorina Tuccius - Yes I do. Its alot of fun.

Nicolaus Cosconius - Do you know how to hack?

Censorina Tuccius - Not really but I picked up bits and pieces from an old book that used to belong to my mom. She was part of the cyberwarfare deparment for West Saintland.

Georgius Lusius - How did you get into here?

Censorina Tuccius - Good grades plus I'm able to play the good Christian girl.

Nicolaus Cosconius - Any way you could use your hacking skills to help us pass?

Censorina Tuccius - Why would I do that?

Nicolaus Cosconius - Because we're friends of Prince Andreas and this school is really putting the screws to all 3 of us.

Georgius Lusius - We should have graduated by now.

Censorina Tuccius - Oh yeah, I remember hearing about how the Prince was being held back a year because he neglected his studies thinking that he'd pass anyway because he's royalty. I'm not overly sympathetic to a bunch of dumb meatheads.

Nicolaus Cosconius - You don't know what actually happened.

Georgius Lusius - Flaccus caught us with cannabis. The prince used to sneak into Customs and steal it for us so we could get high.

Censorina Tuccius - I'm even less sympathetic but I'll help you anyway. If I don't, you losers are never going to graduate from this place. Plus, the Prince is going to be King some day and I'm smart enough to know that I need to be on his good side. I just request that you introduce me to the royal brat if you want my help.

Georgius Lusius - We can do that. We're heavily monitored most of the time but teachers stay out of the dorms afterhours so you can see him if you can sneak into the boys dorm.

After talking a little more, they'd arranged a date and time when Censorina would attempt to sneak into the boys dorms for an audience with the Prince. Little did they know that Censorina Tuccius was hiding the full extent of her knowledge...
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports