NATION

PASSWORD

Increase population growth once at high population

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Ofemerica
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ofemerica » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:00 am

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish for increased population growth once at high aspects; Instead of having growing nations with 20-30 B Pop. growing 4-9 M a day, this should
be changed to: At 10-30 B Pop. growing 10-30 M a day. At 5-10 B Pop. have it be 7-18 M a day, at 1-5 B Pop. add 6-15 M a day, etc.
If this gets voted up, it would rather have a good effect on the game as populations grow faster all the time, instead of when reaching 50 M the growth per day stops. People would have more interest at the game for longer durations as it would be quite boring to have your growth stop at around 50 M Pop, as people would normally get bored after 70-90 M. This is a good idea and should have been considered long ago. Thanks for replying on this if you will! :)

~Ofemerica (Aka Ofek)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Ofemerica on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
NS Stats DONT Matter!

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:27 pm

I'll note my opposition to the proposed change in pop growth at certain levels. My reasoning for this is for this reason: the primary use of population is to indicate how long one has been on the site (at least as far as I know).
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:29 pm

NationStates already allows ridiculously high population values. Many nations, such as mine, have a larger stated population than the entire real-life population of Earth. They don't need to get any larger.

I don't think many people "get bored after 70-90 M". Watching a single number that is affected by nothing that you do slowly tick up is not the reason why most people play this game. Even then, 100 million is tiny - the custom fields get unlocked at 250, 500, 750, and 1000 million, and people care enough to stick around for those.

If you find this game that boring, you're welcome to leave and go play something else.

Gurori
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gurori » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:13 pm

Population only really matters if you roleplay using the stats that NS gives you.

And this kind of change wouldn't really improve or worsen the game as a whole.

I'm generally neutral on my opinion.
Gurori is currently being refurbished, please excuse any inconsistencies in the meantime.
Puppet master of Neo Gurori.

This nation will never reflect my actual views.
Also, NS Stats are absolutely non-canon.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:16 am

I like the suggestion, just since I like the idea of curves over lines. My main concern is how this would effect the Name Releases in the future.

Regardless, I don't see why the staff would go through the trouble of making this change, since NS population only really impacts the few who roleplay with NS stats, who can just make up their populations anyway, if they want a larger number.

Though, I wish population growth was impacted by issues, since some choices mention slowing or speeding up population growth. The only argument I heard against that, aside from the work needed like any other change, is that NS population is often used as a type of "trophy" some people use to set up an age based hierarchy, much like post count.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:20 pm

Population isn't changing. Admins have said it before, and they'll say it again (unless it turns out like the number of issues thing). If you are playing this game exclusively to watch your population grow, and that is how you gain your excitement from the game, hats off to you, but this idea sounds like a solution searching for a problem.

With that bundle of negativity said, you've got a cool flag (or more specifically the blue background on it).
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:10 am

Flanderlion is right. Population growth rate is one of the "sacred cows" of NS, as in indicates longevity and how long your nation has been alive. It's highly unlikely to ever be changed for that reason.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Eshay Gingys
Civilian

Founded: Dec 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Eshay Gingys » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:15 pm

:hug:
Ofemerica wrote:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish for increased population growth once at high aspects; Instead of having growing nations with 20-30 B Pop. growing 4-9 M a day, this should
be changed to: At 10-30 B Pop. growing 10-30 M a day. At 5-10 B Pop. have it be 7-18 M a day, at 1-5 B Pop. add 6-15 M a day, etc.
If this gets voted up, it would rather have a good effect on the game as populations grow faster all the time, instead of when reaching 50 M the growth per day stops. People would have more interest at the game for longer durations as it would be quite boring to have your growth stop at around 50 M Pop, as people would normally get bored after 70-90 M. This is a good idea and should have been considered long ago. Thanks for replying on this if you will! :)

~Ofemerica (Aka Ofek)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical