NATION

PASSWORD

LWDT 8: Hitting the Marx

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Under which leaders (if any) was the Soviet Union socialist?

Lenin (1918-1924)
411
34%
Stalin (1924-1953)
223
19%
Khrushchev (1953-1964)
149
12%
Brezhnev (1964-1982)
125
10%
Gorbachev (1985-1991)
126
10%
Never
167
14%
 
Total votes : 1201

User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5344
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:42 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Imagine Socrates going "cite your sources lmao"


Yeah how dare people ask for proof rather than be gullible idiots.

Dude how could you be anymore clueless

User avatar
Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22269
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Tekeristan wrote:No, they can't. The industrial mode of production beat artisans out. That is why we don't have very many artisans. People had to go work in the factories because the factories produce far cheaper than they ever could. No. Capitalism cares about who *owns* things, not who works them.


The artisan role is equivalent to the skilled trades for the most part, which still exist and still have a place in society currently. A lot of skilled tradespersons as a matter of fact, earn more than some 4 year college graduates starting out.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

User avatar
Torrocca
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27821
Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Torrocca » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:44 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
Allow me to yet again tell you how debates work - You either cite your sources or your full of shit. If you refuse to do so then don't get butthurt when people refuse to believe your cockamamie witchcraft bullshit.


Imagine Socrates going "cite your sources lmao"


"Bro, Plato bro, LOOK AT ME BRO, I'm citing my sources so hard hnnng *flexes citation muscles* cite your sources bro, come at me bro I need you to cite all your sources this is a super duper serious debate about the Socratic method bro, cite your damn sources bro or everybody's gonna laugh at you at the forum tomorrow bro"

"Socrates what the fuck"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They call me Torra, but you can call me... anytime (☞⌐■_■)☞
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTICE 1: Anything depicted IC on this nation does NOT reflect my IRL views or values, and is not endorsed by me.
NOTICE 2: Most RP and every OOC post by me prior to 2023 are no longer endorsed nor tolerated by me. I've since put on my adult pants!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

User avatar
Chernoslavia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9889
Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:45 pm

Tekeristan wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
Yeah how dare people ask for proof rather than be gullible idiots.

Dude how could you be anymore clueless


I ask you the same.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5344
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:45 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:No, they can't. The industrial mode of production beat artisans out. That is why we don't have very many artisans. People had to go work in the factories because the factories produce far cheaper than they ever could. No. Capitalism cares about who *owns* things, not who works them.


The artisan role is equivalent to the skilled trades for the most part, which still exist and still have a place in society currently. A lot of skilled tradespersons as a matter of fact, earn more than some 4 year college graduates starting out.

I'm well aware - I'm in fact a tradesperson, in a union actually. But here's a special bit : I'm in construction
I'm not making leather shoes and hats or tools. Why? Because the factory model of production has made me making those things in my small guild or by myself economically infeasible for me to make a living on.
Construction, while becoming steadily improved in certain ways, cannot be regulated to the factory floor. But capitalism has still regulated us into being wage-laborers, which has several strong consequences of its own.

User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5344
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:48 pm

Torrocca wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Imagine Socrates going "cite your sources lmao"


"Bro, Plato bro, LOOK AT ME BRO, I'm citing my sources so hard hnnng *flexes citation muscles* cite your sources bro, come at me bro I need you to cite all your sources this is a super duper serious debate about the Socratic method bro, cite your damn sources bro or everybody's gonna laugh at you at the forum tomorrow bro"

"Socrates what the fuck"

I hope he seriously comes to realize what exactly he is saying but there's probably a decent chance he never will and that says something

User avatar
Chernoslavia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9889
Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:49 pm

Tekeristan wrote:
Torrocca wrote:
"Bro, Plato bro, LOOK AT ME BRO, I'm citing my sources so hard hnnng *flexes citation muscles* cite your sources bro, come at me bro I need you to cite all your sources this is a super duper serious debate about the Socratic method bro, cite your damn sources bro or everybody's gonna laugh at you at the forum tomorrow bro"

"Socrates what the fuck"

I hope he seriously comes to realize what exactly he is saying but there's probably a decent chance he never will and that says something


And I hope you realize that nobody has to believe your bullshit when you have nothing to back them up with. Cry some more.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

User avatar
Antityranicals
Minister
 
Posts: 2470
Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:50 pm

Tekeristan wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
The artisan role is equivalent to the skilled trades for the most part, which still exist and still have a place in society currently. A lot of skilled tradespersons as a matter of fact, earn more than some 4 year college graduates starting out.

I'm well aware - I'm in fact a tradesperson, in a union actually. But here's a special bit : I'm in construction
I'm not making leather shoes and hats or tools. Why? Because the factory model of production has made me making those things in my small guild or by myself economically infeasible for me to make a living on.
Construction, while becoming steadily improved in certain ways, cannot be regulated to the factory floor. But capitalism has still regulated us into being wage-laborers, which has several strong consequences of its own.

Capitalism has not regulated you into being wage-laborers. Risk aversion did that. What people forget when talking about "wage slavery" is that firstly, people are always free to try to help society in another way without working for someone, and if this method of helping society is actually useful, you'll get people to pay for it. But also, the main reason why people work for wages is because they are far more stable. People choose to work at these jobs because they'll get paid whether or not the company does well in a particular quarter or year. I personally don't value stability very highly, and thus I wouldn't choose to work wage work. However, this is no reason to call anyone who chooses otherwise "slaves."
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

User avatar
Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22269
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:51 pm

I could foresee 3D printers potentially disrupting the construction industry for construction workers. At a large and expensive scale, parts of buildings can be printed and from there, it could be assembled like legos figuratively speaking. This has the effect of lowering construction costs by a lot and might make building dwellings in general- cheaper and more affordable in spite of the expenses that come with buying and holding land.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

User avatar
Torrocca
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27821
Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Torrocca » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Honestly, I'm not at all surprised that we've gotten a 5+ page debate - on an obscure political forum on the internet that has no heavy impact on our day-to-day lives, mind you - that hinges on somebody screaming "sOuRcE bAd >>>:V" and then acting like they've won because the source in question doesn't align with their personal beliefs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They call me Torra, but you can call me... anytime (☞⌐■_■)☞
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTICE 1: Anything depicted IC on this nation does NOT reflect my IRL views or values, and is not endorsed by me.
NOTICE 2: Most RP and every OOC post by me prior to 2023 are no longer endorsed nor tolerated by me. I've since put on my adult pants!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5344
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:I'm well aware - I'm in fact a tradesperson, in a union actually. But here's a special bit : I'm in construction
I'm not making leather shoes and hats or tools. Why? Because the factory model of production has made me making those things in my small guild or by myself economically infeasible for me to make a living on.
Construction, while becoming steadily improved in certain ways, cannot be regulated to the factory floor. But capitalism has still regulated us into being wage-laborers, which has several strong consequences of its own.

Capitalism has not regulated you into being wage-laborers. Risk aversion did that. What people forget when talking about "wage slavery" is that firstly, people are always free to try to help society in another way without working for someone, and if this method of helping society is actually useful, you'll get people to pay for it. But also, the main reason why people work for wages is because they are far more stable. People choose to work at these jobs because they'll get paid whether or not the company does well in a particular quarter or year. I personally don't value stability very highly, and thus I wouldn't choose to work wage work. However, this is no reason to call anyone who chooses otherwise "slaves."

Yes. That is why most production is coordinated by individuals producing their own goods, you know, artisans, who enrich the local community, rather than working minimum wage in order to purchase food to not.. *looks at palm* starve to death.
Dude, do you have a job? You have no understanding of the argument being presented. This could seriously be rectified if you spent 30 minutes reading wage labor and capital, or even just the manifesto, but hhhhh I don't expect any better to be honest

User avatar
Antityranicals
Minister
 
Posts: 2470
Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:54 pm

Saiwania wrote:I could foresee 3D printers potentially disrupting the construction industry for construction workers. At a large and expensive scale, parts of buildings can be printed and from there, it could be assembled like legos figuratively speaking. This has the effect of lowering construction prices by a lot and might make building dwellings in general- cheaper and more affordable in spite of the expenses that come with buying and holding land.

That's something people should rejoice about. This could be the final solution to homelessness. Sure, it might displace labor, but people having to spend less on housing means they can spend more on other things, meaning more jobs. Automation here might mean less jobs in the construction industry, but not only will there be more elsewhere, but cost of living will decrease, which is always a good thing.
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

User avatar
Antityranicals
Minister
 
Posts: 2470
Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Tekeristan wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:Capitalism has not regulated you into being wage-laborers. Risk aversion did that. What people forget when talking about "wage slavery" is that firstly, people are always free to try to help society in another way without working for someone, and if this method of helping society is actually useful, you'll get people to pay for it. But also, the main reason why people work for wages is because they are far more stable. People choose to work at these jobs because they'll get paid whether or not the company does well in a particular quarter or year. I personally don't value stability very highly, and thus I wouldn't choose to work wage work. However, this is no reason to call anyone who chooses otherwise "slaves."

Yes. That is why most production is coordinated by individuals producing their own goods, you know, artisans, who enrich the local community, rather than working minimum wage in order to purchase food to not.. *looks at palm* starve to death.
Dude, do you have a job? You have no understanding of the argument being presented. This could seriously be rectified if you spent 30 minutes reading wage labor and capital, or even just the manifesto, but hhhhh I don't expect any better to be honest

I've read the damn manifesto, it simply has nothing to do with reality. Most people are risk-averse, and so they work for wages.
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5344
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Saiwania wrote:I could foresee 3D printers potentially disrupting the construction industry for construction workers. At a large and expensive scale, parts of buildings can be printed and from there, it could be assembled like legos figuratively speaking. This has the effect of lowering construction prices by a lot and might make building dwellings in general- cheaper and more affordable in spite of the expenses that come with buying and holding land.

That's something people should rejoice about. This could be the final solution to homelessness. Sure, it might displace labor, but people having to spend less on housing means they can spend more on other things, meaning more jobs. Automation here might mean less jobs in the construction industry, but not only will there be more elsewhere, but cost of living will decrease, which is always a good thing.

There will never be a solution to homelessness under the capitalist economy. You're operating under the pretense like there is somehow not enough houses for people as things already are or that there isn't enough productive capacity already present to fix that

User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5344
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:Yes. That is why most production is coordinated by individuals producing their own goods, you know, artisans, who enrich the local community, rather than working minimum wage in order to purchase food to not.. *looks at palm* starve to death.
Dude, do you have a job? You have no understanding of the argument being presented. This could seriously be rectified if you spent 30 minutes reading wage labor and capital, or even just the manifesto, but hhhhh I don't expect any better to be honest

I've read the damn manifesto, it simply has nothing to do with reality. Most people are risk-averse, and so they work for wages.

Ok. Why did the artisan fade largely out of existence?

User avatar
Antityranicals
Minister
 
Posts: 2470
Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Tekeristan wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:That's something people should rejoice about. This could be the final solution to homelessness. Sure, it might displace labor, but people having to spend less on housing means they can spend more on other things, meaning more jobs. Automation here might mean less jobs in the construction industry, but not only will there be more elsewhere, but cost of living will decrease, which is always a good thing.

There will never be a solution to homelessness under the capitalist economy. You're operating under the pretense like there is somehow not enough houses for people as things already are or that there isn't enough productive capacity already present to fix that

There would be a number of easier solutions to homelessness certainly, principally removing zoning laws which raise property values and with them rent at the cost of the poor, and rent controls which make apartments a scarcity.
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

User avatar
Chernoslavia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9889
Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Torrocca wrote:Honestly, I'm not at all surprised that we've gotten a 5+ page debate - on an obscure political forum on the internet that has no heavy impact on our day-to-day lives, mind you - that hinges on somebody screaming "sOuRcE bAd >>>:V" and then acting like they've won because the source in question doesn't align with their personal beliefs.


A source that has literally no fucking links to any trusted source or study from any institution. Not from harvard, CNN, Fox, government data, NOTHING.

So yeah, his source is shit. Don't care about your feelings.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

User avatar
Antityranicals
Minister
 
Posts: 2470
Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:59 pm

Tekeristan wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:I've read the damn manifesto, it simply has nothing to do with reality. Most people are risk-averse, and so they work for wages.

Ok. Why did the artisan fade largely out of existence?

Because he was inefficient. He failed. There's no reason why you have to.
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

User avatar
Chernoslavia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9889
Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:00 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:Ok. Why did the artisan fade largely out of existence?

Because he was inefficient. He failed. There's no reason why you have to.


He's basically blaming people for having market demands.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5344
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:00 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Torrocca wrote:Honestly, I'm not at all surprised that we've gotten a 5+ page debate - on an obscure political forum on the internet that has no heavy impact on our day-to-day lives, mind you - that hinges on somebody screaming "sOuRcE bAd >>>:V" and then acting like they've won because the source in question doesn't align with their personal beliefs.


A source that has literally no fucking links to any trusted source or study from any institution. Not from harvard, CNN, Fox, government data, NOTHING.

So yeah, his source is shit. Don't care about your feelings.

Satire is dead
Last edited by Tekeristan on Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5344
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:Ok. Why did the artisan fade largely out of existence?

Because he was inefficient. He failed. There's no reason why you have to.

So the artisan mode of production faded out because it was inefficient? Good, good you're on the right track!
Anyway feel free to find me a job in your locality that doesn't pay you by the hour or salary lol

User avatar
Tekeristan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5344
Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Torrocca wrote:Honestly, I'm not at all surprised that we've gotten a 5+ page debate - on an obscure political forum on the internet that has no heavy impact on our day-to-day lives, mind you - that hinges on somebody screaming "sOuRcE bAd >>>:V" and then acting like they've won because the source in question doesn't align with their personal beliefs.


Torocca please it can't be real, please tell me it isn't real

User avatar
Cappuccina
Minister
 
Posts: 2829
Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:03 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:I'm well aware - I'm in fact a tradesperson, in a union actually. But here's a special bit : I'm in construction
I'm not making leather shoes and hats or tools. Why? Because the factory model of production has made me making those things in my small guild or by myself economically infeasible for me to make a living on.
Construction, while becoming steadily improved in certain ways, cannot be regulated to the factory floor. But capitalism has still regulated us into being wage-laborers, which has several strong consequences of its own.

Capitalism has not regulated you into being wage-laborers. Risk aversion did that. What people forget when talking about "wage slavery" is that firstly, people are always free to try to help society in another way without working for someone, and if this method of helping society is actually useful, you'll get people to pay for it. But also, the main reason why people work for wages is because they are far more stable. People choose to work at these jobs because they'll get paid whether or not the company does well in a particular quarter or year. I personally don't value stability very highly, and thus I wouldn't choose to work wage work. However, this is no reason to call anyone who chooses otherwise "slaves."


Yes, stability is a factor, primary because most people have other things (like their family) to consider when making risky ventures, and thus they cannot realistically do that.
Muslim, Female, Trans, Not white..... oppression points x4!!!!
"Latinx" isn't a real word. :^)
Automobile & Music fan!!! ^_^
Also, an everything 1980s fan!!!
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Apparently, I'm an INFP

User avatar
Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22269
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:04 pm

On The Young Turks the other day, Cenk or Ana or maybe it was John, were talking with some guest who brought up Rent Control and defended it quite poorly in that he gave no concrete reason for why the rent control he proposes would work in making housing more affordable or common for people who need it. It was an absolute joke. The guest was so unpersuasive, yet the TYT cast were seemingly all on board with it.

We know from history anyways, that rent control causes the supply of housing to decrease generally speaking. It sucks.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

User avatar
Nakena
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15010
Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Tekeristan wrote:
Nakena wrote:
I've should have added that its an european impression. Things in the US might be running very different and my personal experience dates from before the rise of the current cultural wars and whatever else is going on. What I can tell that those salon-leftists had back then a well-guarded and well-funded niche of their own within academic institutions and associations, parties, networks and the likes. A whole network and social and economical habitat for those people to exist and thrive. Its also one of the major breeding grounds and recruiting pools for the european political elites, specifically (but not only) on the "left" and liberal side of things.

Any actual "revolution" of any kind would destroy the very system they're not only thriving within, but which they partly now control and run for their self-perptuating existence.

The conservative milieu is somewhat smaller and has it's own structures and is a bit different and occupies different functions within society.

I do know what kind of sphere of people you're talking about and I sort of empathize with you. It's the crowd of people that are commonly refered to as "Liberal Communists", in that they are oh-so-entranched by the ideals of things but entirely unwilling to detach themselves from the material relations that make those ideals impossible in the first place. They're a bunch of well off hypocrites who, even if sincere, think that working within the system will somehow revert it before they inevitably fall to their liberal tendencies.

I actually know one really well, lol. They were "leaning" "commie" supposedly when they were younger, but apparently have flipped out of it because of this very crowd. Despite literally being part of that crowd. I can't necessarily blame them, but ever since I've gone commie our relationship has become quite a strange one. Despite arguing over things we never necessarily part and if I had to guess from my own emotional speculation they're having a lot of internal conflict about things. Poor person, I seriously wish things turn out okay for em :/

I sincerely doubt anyone can actually go truly communist and make it out fully, because to become one you have to realize the material relationships in the world, and that doesn't exactly bury well beneath liberal thought. I doubt any such people were fully involved in the first place.


I have the impression a lot of those people join that stuff because they want to be on the feel-good-and-just side of things. And I would agree that they are fundamentally liberal, at least when we make the destinction line actual hardcore socialism/communism here. So it might as well be also a question of motivation, what motivates someone to do what they do or get into an ideology. I think its always also a personal question as much as it is one of trends and such. For example its perfectly understandable and reasonable that a lot of students and young people flock to "left" things in the US. But do they really want, the marxist definition of socialism or just something more like the nordic model?

Tekeristan wrote:I'm well aware - I'm in fact a tradesperson, in a union actually. But here's a special bit : I'm in construction
I'm not making leather shoes and hats or tools. Why? Because the factory model of production has made me making those things in my small guild or by myself economically infeasible for me to make a living on.
Construction, while becoming steadily improved in certain ways, cannot be regulated to the factory floor. But capitalism has still regulated us into being wage-laborers, which has several strong consequences of its own.


Any specialization or general construction work?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DutchFormosa, Outer Armatonisdaristan, Platypus Bureaucracy, The Notorious Mad Jack, USHALLNOTPASS

Advertisement

Remove ads