NATION

PASSWORD

Old people shouldn't be able to vote

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Telconi wrote:
Andsed wrote:I am guessing your referring to those under 18? Because I would quite frankly be fine with lowering the voting age to 16.

People under 18, non-citizens, etc. Are these limitations "Undemocratic"?

In a way yes(though not really in the case of non-citizens since it does not make much sense to allow those who are not citizens of a nation vote in it's election.). But I might have exaggerated with my earlier statement. We should not be letting teens and children vote. But aside from that law abiding citizens should not have their right to vote revoked. Especially if the "justification" for taking away those voting rights is due to their political beliefs.
Last edited by Andsed on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Blyathuania
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 07, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Blyathuania » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:29 pm

Andsed wrote:
Blyathuania wrote:
If I'm not represented in government, then it's a tragedy that must be rectified immediately. But why must that privilege be applied to others, especially those who are my ideological enemies?

For the same reasons you have them. Your not anymore inherently deserving of them than other people and rights and political freedoms don’t just not apply to those you do not like. The mere suggestion of taking away voting rights of law abiding citizens simply for their voting habits and beliefs is inherently undemocratic.

> Rights

For all intents and purposes, "rights" are just privileges that a society arbitrarily deems important, backed up with the use of force. "Rights" are nothing but spooks, with no intrinsic existence outside of collective delusion, and such "rights" are only justified if they benefit me.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:30 pm

Andsed wrote:
Telconi wrote:
People under 18, non-citizens, etc. Are these limitations "Undemocratic"?

In a way yes(though not really in the case of non-citizens since it does not make much sense to allow those who are not citizens of a nation vote in it's election.). But I might have exaggerated with my earlier statement. We should not be letting teens and children vote. But aside from that law abiding citizens should not have their right to vote revoked. Especially if the "justification" for taking away those voting rights is due to their political beliefs.

Why shouldn't we let teens and children vote?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Should old people be able to vote?

Postby Deacarsia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Kubra wrote:and they are not net tax payers. And you want to abolish things that *would* make them net taxpayers.
Stop dodging the question.

I am not dodging the question! Poor people can be net taxpayers, there is no logical reason why they could not. Not all poor people accept public assistance, and more power to them. Not all rich people pay more in taxes than they receive in benefits, and shame on them.

The equilibrium most likely would be some poor people cannot vote due to public assistance, while most people can vote as they are net taxpayers. The government should have to justify spending to those who pay for them, i.e. net taxpayers, not those who receive payment, i.e. net tax consumers.

Obviously receivers would prefer to receive more regardless of justification, while payers would prefer that the money is spent wisely. Since a tax cut would either deprive existing taxpayers of their votes or add former tax consumers to the voting rolls, the taxing and spending levels would tend to settle at a socially optimal level.

The point is not to disenfranchise the poor, but to make sure that money is spent wisely, and if welfare is a social priority, then the poor may receive it, but at the expense of losing the ability to vote themselves ever larger benefits. The same applied to the rich receiving corporate welfare, to the elderly receiving old age pensions, to defense contractors receiving military spending, and to anyone who is a net drain on the public till.

I have been cordial up to this point, but my patience is wearing thin. So far, all you have done is move the goalposts and make bald assertions. If you disagree with the idea, which by the way is not my original idea (see here and here), then agree to disagree, as I said in the last message. I do not think that we are going to convince each other, but let other people decide by reading our previous messages.

If you are honest, then we can agree to disagree, but if not, then I refuse to keep feeding a troll.
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Blyathuania wrote:
Andsed wrote:For the same reasons you have them. Your not anymore inherently deserving of them than other people and rights and political freedoms don’t just not apply to those you do not like. The mere suggestion of taking away voting rights of law abiding citizens simply for their voting habits and beliefs is inherently undemocratic.

> Rights

For all intents and purposes, "rights" are just privileges that a society arbitrarily deems important, backed up with the use of force. "Rights" are nothing but spooks, with no intrinsic existence outside of collective delusion, and such "rights" are only justified if they benefit me.

Oh great the cancerous ideology of "fuck you got mine" rears it's head once again. Seeing as you clearly don't care about others and their lives I doubt anything I will say will convince you. So I leave you with the golden rules of "treat others how you wish to be treated."

Telconi wrote:
Andsed wrote:In a way yes(though not really in the case of non-citizens since it does not make much sense to allow those who are not citizens of a nation vote in it's election.). But I might have exaggerated with my earlier statement. We should not be letting teens and children vote. But aside from that law abiding citizens should not have their right to vote revoked. Especially if the "justification" for taking away those voting rights is due to their political beliefs.

Honestly I would not be 100% opposed to allowing them to do so.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Deacarsia wrote:
Kubra wrote:and they are not net tax payers. And you want to abolish things that *would* make them net taxpayers.
Stop dodging the question.

I am not dodging the question! Poor people can be net taxpayers, there is no logical reason why they could not. Not all poor people accept public assistance, and more power to them. Not all rich people pay more in taxes than they receive in benefits, and shame on them.

The equilibrium most likely would be some poor people cannot vote due to public assistance, while most people can vote as they are net taxpayers. The government should have to justify spending to those who pay for them, i.e. net taxpayers, not those who receive payment, i.e. net tax consumers.

Obviously receivers would prefer to receive more regardless of justification, while payers would prefer that the money is spent wisely. Since a tax cut would either deprive existing taxpayers of their votes or add former tax consumers to the voting rolls, the taxing and spending levels would tend to settle at a socially optimal level.

The point is not to disenfranchise the poor, but to make sure that money is spent wisely, and if welfare is a social priority, then the poor may receive it, but at the expense of losing the ability to vote themselves ever larger benefits. The same applied to the rich receiving corporate welfare, to the elderly receiving old age pensions, to defense contractors receiving military spending, and to anyone who is a net drain on the public till.

I have been cordial up to this point, but my patience is wearing thin. So far, all you have done is move the goalposts and make bald assertions. If you disagree with the idea, which by the way is not my original idea (see here and here), then agree to disagree, as I said in the last message. I do not think that we are going to convince each other, but let other people decide by reading our previous messages.

If you are honest, then we can agree to disagree, but if not, then I refuse to keep feeding a troll.
Sure there is: by receiving tax deductions and refunds. Which they do under certain income thresholds, regardless of whether or not they receive overt public assistance. You've discussed numerous ideas for *removing* taxes, bringing folks out of "net taxpayer" status, but no policies for making folks such. How else am I supposed to interpret this?
Last edited by Kubra on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Of course old people should be allowed to vote you authoritaian twat.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:39 pm

Andsed wrote:
Blyathuania wrote:
> Rights

Oh great the cancerous ideology of "fuck you got mine" rears it's head once again. Seeing as you clearly don't care about others and their lives I doubt anything I will say will convince you. So I leave you with the golden rules of "treat others how you wish to be treated."

Telconi wrote:

Honestly I would not be 100% opposed to allowing them to do so.

My daughter said Rapunzel should be president. Kind of a wasted vote IMO.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Eitoan
Envoy

Founded: Jan 04, 2018
Corporate Bordello

Postby Eitoan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:41 pm

No.

And get off my lawn!

Blyathuania
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 07, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Blyathuania » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Andsed wrote:
Blyathuania wrote:
> Rights

What rational basis is there for me to follow the golden rule, outside of the fear of retribution? And show me how the lives of other beings magically have "value" somehow.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:43 pm

A relevant quote from a great philosopher:
"You don't get to order for the table if you're about to leave the restaurant."
-- Pete Davidson
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:44 pm

Oh yeah, topic relevance.
I got news for ya'll: you will all grow old.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:46 pm

Kubra wrote:Oh yeah, topic relevance.

Incorrect. Society will collapse and most of us will kill ourselves or be killed. For the younger ones, this will happen prior to growing old.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:46 pm

Are you sure though?

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

Should old people be able to vote?

Postby Deacarsia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Kubra wrote:Sure there is: by receiving tax deductions and refunds. Which they do under certain income thresholds, regardless of whether or not they receive overt public assistance. You've discussed numerous ideas for *removing* taxes, bringing folks out of "net taxpayer" status, but no policies for making folks such. How else am I supposed to interpret this?

Tax refunds are not government payment. It merely means that you are receiving money back you already paid in taxes, unless you receive refundable tax credits that bring your balance below zero.

My ideas for removing taxes are a separate matter from the argument. The point is that I am arguing in favor of restricting the vote to net taxpayers, regardless of the tax structure.

The point is not how to make people net taxpayers, or who exactly is a net taxpayer. I argue that allowing net tax consumers to vote is unsustainable, at least in the long-run, regardless of their identities, which neither you nor anyone else has addressed or refuted.

Stop moving the goalposts.
Last edited by Deacarsia on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

Incorrect. Society will collapse and most of us will kill ourselves or be killed. For the younger ones, this will happen prior to growing old.

I'm clicking on the desire to know more button

Totenborg
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totenborg » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Deacarsia wrote:
Kubra wrote:Sure there is: by receiving tax deductions and refunds. Which they do under certain income thresholds, regardless of whether or not they receive overt public assistance. You've discussed numerous ideas for *removing* taxes, bringing folks out of "net taxpayer" status, but no policies for making folks such. How else am I supposed to interpret this?

Tax refunds are not government payment. It merely means that you are receiving money back you already paid in taxes, unless you receive refundable tax credits that bring your balance below zero.

My ideas for removing taxes are a separate matter from the argument. The point is that I am arguing in favor of restricting the vote to net taxpayers, regardless of the tax structure.

The point is not how to make people net taxpayers, or who exactly is a net taxpayer. I argue that allowing net tax consumers to vote is unsustainable, at least in the long-run, regardless of their identities, which neither you nor anyone else has addressed or refuted.

And we're arguing that such a set of restrictions will do little more than disenfranchise the poor.
Rabid anti-fascist.
Existential nihilist.
Lifer metalhead.
Unrepentant fan of birds.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:54 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Incorrect. Society will collapse and most of us will kill ourselves or be killed. For the younger ones, this will happen prior to growing old.

The proliferation of poverty, drought, and famine; massive outfluxes of climate refugees; cities, even countries being swallowed by the sea; technological failure; political and economic collapse -- these constitute our near future.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:56 pm

Deacarsia wrote:

The point is not how to make people net taxpayers, or who exactly is a net taxpayer. I argue that allowing net tax consumers to vote is unsustainable at least in the long-run, regardless of their identities, which neither you nor anyone else has addressed or refuted.

which makes one not a "net taxpayer". That's what net means. If I have a gross profit of 15 million but 15 million in operating costs, I have a net profit of 0. In short, I have not made money.
They are not separate, because the argument that has been made is you want to disenfranchise the poor. If your ideas on removing taxes involve, you know, disenfranchising the poor, I'd say it's *fairly* relevant, no?
Sure sure, regardless of their indentities, which just so happens to include 15 milion low-income americans.
Comrade J. Posadas

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:57 pm

Cekoviu wrote:Incorrect. Society will collapse and most of us will kill ourselves or be killed. For the younger ones, this will happen prior to growing old.

life expectancy is expected to rapidly drop when we switch to a badass raider gang based economy
Comrade J. Posadas

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:01 pm

Kubra wrote:
life expectancy is expected to rapidly drop when we switch to a badass raider gang based economy

Good thing I've already got a V8 with which to ride shiny & chrome. Except instead of riding around with flamethrower guitar set up, I'm capturing Death Grips or my man Viper and making them play for the road warriors.

Fahran
Forum Moderator

Founded: Nov 13, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Fahran » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:05 pm

Cekoviu wrote:A relevant quote from a great philosopher:
"You don't get to order for the table if you're about to leave the restaurant."
-- Pete Davidson

Except that metaphor isn't appropriate for a democratic government. The elderly have rendered service to the state and deserve representation just as much if not more so than people have rendered less service.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:14 pm

Kubra wrote: life expectancy is expected to rapidly drop when we switch to a badass raider gang based economy

Good thing I've already got a V8 with which to ride shiny & chrome. Except instead of riding around with flamethrower guitar set up, I'm capturing Death Grips or my man Viper and making them play for the road warriors.
blaring takyon while gunning down effete town-dwellers and mischievous plant-growers.
Comrade J. Posadas

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:42 pm

If you're going to start closing off the vote to significant portions of the population, then we're better without it altogether.

Monarchy time.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:Just like there is an age restriction for when people can vote there should also be an age restriction for when people have to stop voting.

These group of people are most actively chased after by politicians to the detriment of young people who are the main or future participants in the economy and future of a country.

Do you agree with this proposition?

In no way do I agree. Besides, many of the people you want to disenfranchise with your proposal are the people that write the laws, so that bill wouldn't even make it onto paper, let alone into a committee. They're not going to screw themselves out of the vote.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General