NATION

PASSWORD

New Civilizations ( OOC, Always Open, Reboot )

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:00 am

Ralnis wrote:Shit, true sailing tech for cogs and caravels are just experimental boats in hopes of reaching to India better than in further hopes of colonizing the islands between the Middle East and India and prepare for their Imperial Age. I mean Europe gets all the cool toys while Asia is non-existent and the Near East continuously lags behind.

Quantity, 'tis said, has a quality all of its own.

Throw bodies at Europe until Europe runs out of arrows. :twisted:

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:07 am

Plzen wrote:
Ralnis wrote:Shit, true sailing tech for cogs and caravels are just experimental boats in hopes of reaching to India better than in further hopes of colonizing the islands between the Middle East and India and prepare for their Imperial Age. I mean Europe gets all the cool toys while Asia is non-existent and the Near East continuously lags behind.

Quantity, 'tis said, has a quality all of its own.

Throw bodies at Europe until Europe runs out of arrows. :twisted:

Sumerians are greedy, not suicidal.
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Alaroma
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alaroma » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:30 am

Ralnis wrote:I am jealous everyone has steel yet me and Universal barely got basic ironworking.

Oh fuck you I barely have a state and horses.

Joohan wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:
But Plzen, think of the business opportunities.

Eunuchs make good guards and advisors. The Commonwealth-Nara eunuch trade is a gold mine waiting to happen.

I don't know why, but I feel attacked by this.

I'm going to crack down on this type of Slavery later
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:23 am

Hanafuridake wrote:But Plzen, think of the business opportunities.

Eunuchs make good guards and advisors. The Commonwealth-Nara eunuch trade is a gold mine waiting to happen.

When I said girls should stick together, this isn’t exactly what I had in mind. :(

Joohan, if you’ve got the spare energy, now would be a good time to throw us some random events to play with. :)
Last edited by Plzen on Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:00 am

Plzen wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:But Plzen, think of the business opportunities.

When I said girls should stick together, this isn’t exactly what I had in mind. :(

Joohan, if you’ve got the spare energy, now would be a good time to throw us some random events to play with. :)

I'm really beginning to question if Grace isn't the most evil. Issac looks down right benovolent at this point.

And yeah, events would be interesting I suppose.
Last edited by Alaroma on Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yeah, you're right. You got lucky this time. If there were Dutch people there, you would be facing so many rebels!"
-Nuverkikstan

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:47 am

Ralnis wrote:I am jealous everyone has steel yet me and Universal barely got basic ironworking.

There are a lot of things which I have failed at which I would like to turn over to your scholars-- we would have some glass beads which could potentially be refined into clear glass. I have a warehouse of failures. Things like half finished pieces of crossbows-- I could never get the trigger mechanism right. There would be iron sand which could lead to some interesting developments. The iron sand from the black sea is magnetite. Also failed attempts at linothrax-- linen and glue armor. Bad formulas for things like makeup, resins, and other things. Half baked ideas. Attempts at early treadmills which I would not have the engineering skills to build, an attempt at an abacus which I could never get the description right for. Lots of proposed disasters. Also notebooks with ideas that went nowhere like an early lens which we never had the glass for. More than half of it would be a little cracked.

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kelmet » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:12 am

Just over here sitting on a mountain of reforms, policy's and plans.....
Call me Kel
Captain US Army Intelligence

Co-OP and OP Experience

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:18 am

Kelmet wrote:Just over here sitting on a mountain of reforms, policy's and plans.....

I'm sitting on my own mountain here. :p

Alongside a crippling lack of creative energy to design IC posts to go along with them and a crippling lack of mental fortitude to sit down and get those written.

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Postby Kelmet » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:43 am

Plzen wrote:
Kelmet wrote:Just over here sitting on a mountain of reforms, policy's and plans.....

I'm sitting on my own mountain here. :p

Alongside a crippling lack of creative energy to design IC posts to go along with them and a crippling lack of mental fortitude to sit down and get those written.

I totally 100% understanding why G is so hesitant to give me and combined political and military power I really do.

But the imperium and V himself would be better for it.
Call me Kel

Co-OP and OP Experience

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:32 am

UniversalCommons wrote:

There are a lot of things which I have failed at which I would like to turn over to your scholars-- we would have some glass beads which could potentially be refined into clear glass. I have a warehouse of failures. Things like half finished pieces of crossbows-- I could never get the trigger mechanism right. There would be iron sand which could lead to some interesting developments. The iron sand from the black sea is magnetite. Also failed attempts at linothrax-- linen and glue armor. Bad formulas for things like makeup, resins, and other things. Half baked ideas. Attempts at early treadmills which I would not have the engineering skills to build, an attempt at an abacus which I could never get the description right for. Lots of proposed disasters. Also notebooks with ideas that went nowhere like an early lens which we never had the glass for. More than half of it would be a little cracked.

Crossbows and medieval tech are one of the places I shine in. Mostly since I knew how to build crossbows and their variants when working at Medieval fairs and did a good study on them. So when Sumer becomes more entrench into the tech tree then I can start to really produce some good tech. Though I don't know why you need treadmills unless its to have more human power to it. Hell, the human-powered boats are used via paddles and bicycles with flywheels as a sort of luxury sport, not for commercial or military practicality. So I don't know how many of those half-baked ideas would be used not as luxury tech or practical tech but I'm sure some things could be progressed.

Alaroma wrote:

Oh fuck you I barely have a state and horses.

Don't make me crash your economy. :p
This account must be deleted. The person behind it is a racist, annoying waste of life that must be shunned back to whatever rock he crawled out from.

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:41 am

Plzen wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:Mind you, the average Irish ship is still going to only have a crew of like 70-80. And those ships that do have 120-150 are primarily made up of oarsmen, usually employed from tribes in Britain, or along the coast of western Europe. There are exceptions of course, such as purpose built warships, and on average the Irish strategy is definitely focused on larger craft. The comparison between the Commonwealth and Hibernia would probably be galleys v heavies in eu4 (minus the fact heavy ships are stupidly OP).

...I don't think that comparison works at all. Galleys tend to be small, rowed craft and heavies are large, exclusively-sailed craft. In this case we have larger ships with oars against smaller, exclusively-sailed ships.

From the perspective of the Commonwealth, putting another 50 or 60 people on a ship for benefits that are extremely marginal except in unfavourable weather conditions is just not worth doing. Given 80 crew, we'd rather put 2~3 properly-sized and armed sailing warships on the waves, instead of putting those 80 on the same ship and expecting them to row.

Bortslovakia wrote:We use lateen sails for a reason :P

Yeah, that's what I expected... but it doesn't hurt to ask. :p I've nothing to lose if you say yes and everything to gain if it turns out you didn't.

I think the comparison is perfectly apt. In eu4, both are combat ships. Galleys are cheaper, faster, and require less crew. The point isn't the semantics so much as the design philosophy.

Anyways, I imagine the Imperium wouldn't immediately realize that tacking is beneficial, since river travel kind of forces a roughly straight line. Of course, the moment Viktor is on a boat heading towards the wind, he'll probably notice that oars are inefficient. Not sure about his nautical knowledge beyond that

Alaroma wrote:
Plzen wrote:When I said girls should stick together, this isn’t exactly what I had in mind. :(

I'm really beginning to question if Grace isn't the most evil. Issac looks down right benovolent at this point.

Issac murders entire villages, and enslaves their women so they can make babies. Grace cut off the dicks of a few traitors. Insane as she is, so far it's been a one time deal, while Icedonia considers war crimes to be state policy.

If this eunuch trade becomes an actual thing though, I'm all for helping you burn a few Japanese ports :P
Last edited by Bortslovakia on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:45 am

Bortslovakia wrote:If this eunuch trade becomes an actual thing though, I'm all for helping you burn a few Japanese ports :P

If you send a significant portion of your navy to Asia, that be a good time to grab me some more rocks.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:45 am

Joohan wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:
But Plzen, think of the business opportunities.

Issac: I can burn your islands to the ground.
Grace: Look at the men around you Issac. Do they seem.... different? Like something's missing?
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:47 am

Bortslovakia wrote:Anyways, I imagine the Imperium wouldn't immediately realize that tacking is beneficial, since river travel kind of forces a roughly straight line. Of course, the moment Viktor is on a boat heading towards the wind, he'll probably notice that oars are inefficient. Not sure about his nautical knowledge beyond that

Actually, it is much the opposite - more maneuverable rigging is really what you want for river travel, because rivers suck at flowing straight. If you only rely on a running rig for riparian transit, you'll be in a sorry way in no time, grounded or forced to row like buggers. I'd imagine most, if not all, of the Imperium's shipping is lateen rigged, simply because trying to work your way up or downriver only sailing downwind will drive you mad in short order.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Ralnis
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralnis » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:56 am

Hanafuridake wrote:
Joohan wrote:

Grace: Look at the men around you Issac. Do they seem.... different? Like something's missing?

Luther: Unleash the Black Ships! It's time to exploitcivilize these barbarians!

Alaroma
Senator

Postby Alaroma » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:24 am

Bortslovakia wrote:
Plzen wrote:...I don't think that comparison works at all. Galleys tend to be small, rowed craft and heavies are large, exclusively-sailed craft. In this case we have larger ships with oars against smaller, exclusively-sailed ships.

From the perspective of the Commonwealth, putting another 50 or 60 people on a ship for benefits that are extremely marginal except in unfavourable weather conditions is just not worth doing. Given 80 crew, we'd rather put 2~3 properly-sized and armed sailing warships on the waves, instead of putting those 80 on the same ship and expecting them to row.

Yeah, that's what I expected... but it doesn't hurt to ask. :p I've nothing to lose if you say yes and everything to gain if it turns out you didn't.

I think the comparison is perfectly apt. In eu4, both are combat ships. Galleys are cheaper, faster, and require less crew. The point isn't the semantics so much as the design philosophy.

Anyways, I imagine the Imperium wouldn't immediately realize that tacking is beneficial, since river travel kind of forces a roughly straight line. Of course, the moment Viktor is on a boat heading towards the wind, he'll probably notice that oars are inefficient. Not sure about his nautical knowledge beyond that

Alaroma wrote:I'm really beginning to question if Grace isn't the most evil. Issac looks down right benovolent at this point.

Issac murders entire villages, and enslaves their women so they can make babies. Grace cut off the dicks of a few traitors. Insane as she is, so far it's been a one time deal, while Icedonia considers war crimes to be state policy.

If this eunuch trade becomes an actual thing though, I'm all for helping you burn a few Japanese ports :P

Frankly, as fun as that sounds, might have to wait a few centuries.
-Nuverkikstan

Bortslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bortslovakia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:51 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Bortslovakia wrote:Anyways, I imagine the Imperium wouldn't immediately realize that tacking is beneficial, since river travel kind of forces a roughly straight line. Of course, the moment Viktor is on a boat heading towards the wind, he'll probably notice that oars are inefficient. Not sure about his nautical knowledge beyond that

Actually, it is much the opposite - more maneuverable rigging is really what you want for river travel, because rivers suck at flowing straight. If you only rely on a running rig for riparian transit, you'll be in a sorry way in no time, grounded or forced to row like buggers. I'd imagine most, if not all, of the Imperium's shipping is lateen rigged, simply because trying to work your way up or downriver only sailing downwind will drive you mad in short order.

Fair enough. I suppose the Elbe is wide enough to tack efficiently, especially since no one can really field massive ships quite yet.

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:27 am

Hanafuridake wrote:
Joohan wrote:

...is it Virtue?
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:29 am

Bortslovakia wrote:
Joohan wrote:
That's sound's good. I didn't know if steel was a closely guarded resource like it is in the Imperium. Tamed horses are our equivalent to steel then ( rearing horses being something that I actually am well acquainted with ).

As for the ships based off the Queen's Dance, we've probably built their number in like the single digits - and have distributed them to Service approved merchants. Question though, what's the maximum of cargo and men that one of these ships can hold? I'd imagine anything meant to carry a horse or two would need to be somewhat sizable.

Yeah the Queen's Dance is the equivalent of a racing sloop, designed for fast transport of important individuals. It has enough hullspace for supplies, and little more (though it does have a rather large strongbox for its guests). Steel isn't too guarded, since it's frankly in such low supply that the market can't really be flooded. Plus Hibernia is not nearly as stingy with its tech.

For ship size, that really depends. Like I said earlier, as of this timeskip we've started implemented proper ship classes. The average Trireme had a crew of 200, with most being rowers. Thanks to the lateen sail, we don't need to rely on rowers nearly as much. Pre timeskip, I'd say an Irish longship had a maximum compliment of 120. Merchant ships have likely gotten significantly larger since then. So probably 150-200. The largest can probably carry two to three horses, with little else beyond necessary supplies for the journey. I imagine horse merchants would sell other high demand luxury goods as well, to maximize their profits per trip.

Just a thought, some joint Icedonian-Hibernian private ventures could be a thing in the future. It's already happened with the Commonwealth, and there's more profit to be made for merchants by working together.

Oh... well then. I'd imagine that, over the last few years, we would have created some ships of size. Racing sloops are... nice. But we'd need something significantly larger just to transport goods. Would it be far off to assume we learned how to craft ships similar to the larger variants you field? Cause like... I don't know about a horse on a racing sloop fam.
Last edited by Joohan on Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:08 am

Joohan wrote:Oh... well then. I'd imagine that, over the last few years, we would have created some ships of size. Racing sloops are... nice. But we'd need something significantly larger just to transport goods. Would it be far off to assume we learned how to craft ships similar to the larger variants you field? Cause like... I don't know about a horse on a racing sloop fam.

Functionally, the real thing for shipbuilding to master is wood-steaming and clinker-construction, both techniques of which are identical between that sort of sloop and a larger ship. You will run into some structural issues, of course, but trial and error will get you through a few failures with enough investment of resources.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:11 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Joohan wrote:Oh... well then. I'd imagine that, over the last few years, we would have created some ships of size. Racing sloops are... nice. But we'd need something significantly larger just to transport goods. Would it be far off to assume we learned how to craft ships similar to the larger variants you field? Cause like... I don't know about a horse on a racing sloop fam.

Functionally, the real thing for shipbuilding to master is wood-steaming and clinker-construction, both techniques of which are identical between that sort of sloop and a larger ship. You will run into some structural issues, of course, but trial and error will get you through a few failures with enough investment of resources.

I've no doubt that, eventually, I could make a reputable ship on my own. The whole process would just go along a lot faster if I simply copy some of the Hibernian designs.

Kelmet
Powerbroker

Postby Kelmet » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:27 am

So, when do you all think we will discover we are immortal?
Call me Kel

Co-OP and OP Experience

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:28 am

Kelmet wrote:So, when do you all think we will discover we are immortal?

I've already hinted it at my last IC post.

The immortal lineage of Rose.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:30 am

Bortslovakia wrote:I'm all for helping you burn a few Japanese ports :P

Grace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2w7z0aB3l0
Last edited by Hanafuridake on Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:32 am

Kelmet wrote:So, when do you all think we will discover we are immortal?

I'll have had a minor mental breakdown over this timeskip. Kinda realizing that something is wrong, and how even though i'm 40 I still look and feel like a 19 year old.
Last edited by Joohan on Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse