NATION

PASSWORD

Blizzard, speech, and Capitalism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Blizzard, speech, and Capitalism

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:29 pm

So for those who do not know, recently a pro-gamer Hong Kong native named blitzchung won a Grandmaster tournament for Hearthstone (this tournament is the highest level tournament), a Blizzard game. During a interview that was being live streamed, blitzchung announced "Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our age." For this act, blitzchung was suspended from playing tournaments for 1 year (remember this is his profession so this is similar to not being able to play a sport for a year and not getting paid during that time) and would lose his winnings for the tournament.

The explanation given in the US version was very legalistic and basically stated that he had broken a tournament rule, namely
2019 HEARTHSTONE® GRANDMASTERS OFFICIAL COMPETITION RULES v1.4 p.12, Section 6.1 (o)
Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms.
https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/blog/23179289/

The explanation released in China however had very different and stated
We are very angered and disappointed at what happened at the event and do not condone it in any way. We also highly object the spreading of personal political beliefs in this manner...We will always respect and defend the pride of our country.
translated here https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1181 ... in-chinese

Two interesting things to note, first China has one of the biggest markets for gaming in the world, if not the biggest (if it is not the biggest it will soon become so), meaning that gaming companies have very large interest not only in catering to Chinese citizens, but also to the Chinese government who controls whether a game can be released in their country. In addition, Blizzard is a US based publicly traded company, with about 5% of its shares being controlled by Tencent, a massive Chinese company.

The suspension of blitzchung has resulted in a massive backlash against Blizzard. Among this backlash was an American team in a separate tournament coming up with a similar protest (they held up a sign during the tournament saying support Hong Kong). This team was not suspended, and was even given their next tournament game after this incident.

This situation brings up some interesting questions of censorship, capitalism, and international trade. How do we respond to an American company censoring political commentary in interviews with players? How do we deal with companies that censor speech in order to grow into authoritarian areas? How do we deal with a censor happy place like China having such a large share of the market that it is effecting Western countries, where Western countries have to decide between not having access to a massive market, or censoring stuff happening in the US?

I honestly have no answer to these things, but I thought it would be interesting to discuss, so thoughts?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:31 pm

America needs to stop bending over for china, but then again we also let ourselves be abused by israel, Saudi Arabia and now Turkey as well. America is like mid 1800s china. A once powerful country now having its strings pulled by foreign interlopers vying for influence within our economy and politics. I know that only southpark will have the guts to give a middle finger to the Chinese Corporatist Party
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:America needs to stop bending over for china, but then again we also let ourselves be abused by israel, Saudi Arabia and now Turkey as well. America is like mid 1800s china. A once powerful country now having its strings pulled by foreign interlopers vying for influence within our economy and politics. I know that only southpark will have the guts to give a middle finger to the Chinese Corporatist Party

I question your judgment when you include Israel with Saudi Arabia and Turkey
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:America needs to stop bending over for china, but then again we also let ourselves be abused by israel, Saudi Arabia and now Turkey as well. America is like mid 1800s china. A once powerful country now having its strings pulled by foreign interlopers vying for influence within our economy and politics. I know that only southpark will have the guts to give a middle finger to the Chinese Corporatist Party

This doesn’t necessarily mean the US needs to not have allies, though, they just need better ones. Steering clear of the Middle East could be good. I see a promising ally in Pakistan.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Pacomia wrote:

This doesn’t necessarily mean the US needs to not have allies, though, they just need better ones. Steering clear of the Middle East could be good. I see a promising ally in Pakistan.

Let’s stick with India
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:38 pm

Aureumterra wrote:

I question your judgment when you include Israel with Saudi Arabia and Turkey

Israel is absolutely in the same category as Saudi Arabia and Turkey, just using the US to help them further their goals. The difference between Israel and Saudi Arabia and Turkey, though, is that at least Saudi Arabia gives the US oil in return, and Turkey is in NATO. Israel, however, gives us nothing in return. They’re just using us against Palestine.

Aureumterra wrote:
Pacomia wrote:This doesn’t necessarily mean the US needs to not have allies, though, they just need better ones. Steering clear of the Middle East could be good. I see a promising ally in Pakistan.

Let’s stick with India

Last I remember, the US has better relations currently with Pakistan than with India.
Last edited by Pacomia on Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.

This user is a male.

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:40 pm

I feel that Blizzard is a company that should be boycotted, and they're owned by Activision (you know, the ones behind putting out CoD EVERY YEAR with NO changes whatsoever.). We should boycott Activision Blizzard, and instead support companies like CD Projekt Red and THQNordic.

It's only a matter of time before EA bends over for China's [CENSORED]ing of them, and they'll likely be even WORSE.
UNDER ECONOMIC MARTIAL LAW (Communism)
The craziest schizo on NationStates. National Trotskyism is my ideology.
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™
There are three genders: Male, Female, and Spam. I respect your opinion if you think otherwise.
Epstein Didn't Kill Himself™
The future will not look like the Jetsons, it will look like Mutant Rampage BodySlam.

Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:40 pm

ugh China is at it again.
EMT for Moreau EMS Squad
Naval Sea Cadet Petty Officer
Maple and Chicken Farmer (Gotta love the eggs and pancakes)
Extreme American Nationalist
Republican Upstate New Yorker (deal with it).
Proud enemy of Nazis (because Jewish vs. Aryan).
Proud enemy of Communists (because independence vs. collectivism).
Proud enemy of Progressives (because morals vs. make-believe).
Somewhat of an LGB ally, not the T or the Q or anything + though
Straight as a gun barrel.
Gun lover (clearly).
4 siblings (oldest brother, and proud to be so).
Teenage former rebel.
BACA supporter.
Proud leader of The Free Republican Commonwealth

In love.
If you can read this, thank a teacher!
If you are reading this in English, thank a soldier!

My belief here was censored.

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:40 pm

Pacomia wrote:

What do you see in Pakistan? They are becoming cosy with China as they both seek to piss off India in whatever ways they can. The China/India scuffle could still happen.
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Shamhnan Insir wrote:
Pacomia wrote:This doesn’t necessarily mean the US needs to not have allies, though, they just need better ones. Steering clear of the Middle East could be good. I see a promising ally in Pakistan.

What do you see in Pakistan? They are becoming cosy with China as they both seek to piss off India in whatever ways they can. The China/India scuffle could still happen.

I’m not saying Pakistan is the perfect ally, but they’re a strategic one. Pakistan has historically been a friend of the US, since its independence in 1947. Plus, the relationship between the two nations has been mutually beneficial, the US giving Pakistan foreign aid and Pakistan letting the US put military bases in their territory. And it doesn’t like to do major human rights violations and monarchical theocracies like the Saudis. At this point, Iran actually has the moral high ground over Saudi Arabia.
Last edited by Pacomia on Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This user is a male.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth wrote:ugh China is at it again.

Except this is not just about China, this is about a large company giving up it morals in order to have access to a large market.

Also, to the others, please stay on topic.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth wrote:ugh China is at it again.

Except this is not just about China, this is about a large company giving up it morals in order to have access to a large market.

Also, to the others, please stay on topic.

They want profit, and they’re willing to sacrifice their morals to get it.

This user is a male.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Looks like Riot Games is on it too, banning official streamers from discussing "sensitive topics" while on air.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Pacomia wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:
Let’s stick with India

Last I remember, the US has better relations currently with Pakistan than with India.

US really shouldn’t, remind me which country sheltered Bin Laden again? Allying with Pakistan is as bad as being allies with KSA
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Vassenor wrote:Looks like Riot Games is on it too, banning official streamers from discussing "sensitive topics" while on air.

Not a surprise.

Also damn, I knew Tencent was big... I did not know just how big they where. They are truly massive.
Just A Little though

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Pacomia wrote:They want profit, and they’re willing to sacrifice their morals to get it.

Yeah not gonna play WOW now.

That’s probably not the way to deal with it. Boycotts rarely work, especially when only 1 or 2 percent of people do it- which will probably be the case here. Instead, try to just spread the word. Maybe try to contact higher management at Blizzard. Make as many people as possible know about this.

This user is a male.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Tornado Queendom wrote:I feel that Blizzard is a company that should be boycotted, and they're owned by Activision (you know, the ones behind putting out CoD EVERY YEAR with NO changes whatsoever.). We should boycott Activision Blizzard, and instead support companies like CD Projekt Red and THQNordic.

It's only a matter of time before EA bends over for China's [CENSORED]ing of them, and they'll likely be even WORSE.

Good thing the trade deal was terminated
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:54 pm

Pacomia wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:Yeah not gonna play WOW now.

That’s probably not the way to deal with it. Boycotts rarely work, especially when only 1 or 2 percent of people do it- which will probably be the case here. Instead, try to just spread the word. Maybe try to contact higher management at Blizzard. Make as many people as possible know about this.

People are very aware of this. When I say there is a massive backlash, I mean massive to the point where it showed up in mainstream media (I am talking the Washington post having an article on it). I think the reason for the backlash is partially the questions I am asking, how should people respond to US companies censoring political speech.
Just A Little though

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Pacomia wrote:That’s probably not the way to deal with it. Boycotts rarely work, especially when only 1 or 2 percent of people do it- which will probably be the case here. Instead, try to just spread the word. Maybe try to contact higher management at Blizzard. Make as many people as possible know about this.

People are very aware of this. When I say there is a massive backlash, I mean massive to the point where it showed up in mainstream media (I am talking the Washington post having an article on it). I think the reason for the backlash is partially the questions I am asking, how should people respond to US companies censoring political speech.

That’s tougher. My initial reaction would be to make censoring political speech illegal- one could argue it’s against the 1st amendment- but how would that be implemented? There probably wouldn’t be a positive reaction to just outright banning it. Then what? Try boycotts? Will those work? And eventually you just don’t know anymore.

This user is a male.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Tornado Queendom wrote:I feel that Blizzard is a company that should be boycotted, and they're owned by Activision (you know, the ones behind putting out CoD EVERY YEAR with NO changes whatsoever.). We should boycott Activision Blizzard, and instead support companies like CD Projekt Red and THQNordic.

CDPR's still run by morons. So no.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Israeli Empiratic Commonwealth » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:05 pm

Vassenor wrote:Looks like Riot Games is on it too, banning official streamers from discussing "sensitive topics" while on air.

Eee okay. This is my opinion.
Free speech should be kept free.
Stupid offended Chinese government.
EMT for Moreau EMS Squad
Naval Sea Cadet Petty Officer
Maple and Chicken Farmer (Gotta love the eggs and pancakes)
Extreme American Nationalist
Republican Upstate New Yorker (deal with it).
Proud enemy of Nazis (because Jewish vs. Aryan).
Proud enemy of Communists (because independence vs. collectivism).
Proud enemy of Progressives (because morals vs. make-believe).
Somewhat of an LGB ally, not the T or the Q or anything + though
Straight as a gun barrel.
Gun lover (clearly).
4 siblings (oldest brother, and proud to be so).
Teenage former rebel.
BACA supporter.
Proud leader of The Free Republican Commonwealth

In love.
If you can read this, thank a teacher!
If you are reading this in English, thank a soldier!

My belief here was censored.

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana
Minister

Founded: Sep 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:06 pm

“Chinese Corporatist Party” :lol2:

Funny how almost every attempt at communism has devolved into the very thing it swore to destroy
Not an adherent of Italian Fascism anymore, leaning more and more towards Falangist Syndicalism
Corporatism and Corporatocracy are completely different things
9axes
Pro: Falange, Command Economy, Class-Cooperation, Cultural Nationalism, Authoritarianism, Third Positionism, Border Security
Anti: Communism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Trump, Globalism, Racism, Democracy, Immigration

Blanjiland
Attaché

Founded: Sep 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Blanjiland » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:12 pm

Frankly, I'm not surprised a corporation like Blizzard pulled a stunt like this. We're all going to forget about this in a few weeks, meanwhile, Blizzard will benefit massively from sucking up to the larger market. There's no way Blizzard would have done this if they weren't absolutely sure it would help them in the long run.
An Oligarchic state where the ultra-rich govern a nation of entrepreneurs and innovators. Just as corrupt, hedonistic and materialistic as you think, despite its progressive policies and emphasis on quality of life.

Factbook
Tirole wins third term | BAF ends all operations outside Bangkok | Tirole approves investigation into alleged atrocities committed by BAF | Recession aftermath hits Northern France | Death Penalty for suicide overturned, “[The Law] seemed kind of silly” Lower Parliament says | National Vaccination Campaign in full force | Blanji Man steals 57 cats in broad daylight

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:13 pm

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:

“Chinese Corporatist Party” :lol2:

Funny how almost every attempt at communism has devolved into the very thing it swore to destroy

It’ll definitely work the next time
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:15 pm

While business wise it is smart not to anger China I am not exactly fond of money being valued more than free speech.
Last edited by Andsed on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General