NATION

PASSWORD

Seeking guidance on issues...

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Phobopolis
Lobbyist

Founded: May 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Seeking guidance on issues...

Postby Phobopolis » Sun May 27, 2012 12:53 pm

I usually hate this forum because, when you ask advice, you generally get a lot more individual opinion than qualified analysis, but I don't know where else to turn.

So, I made the Phobopoline political and social agenda clear here:
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=181446
But let me give the abridged version again here.
My only objective with this nation is increase my crime and murder rates to be the highest in the world (or as close as I can get to it).
And I could use help to get there. If you'll look at my in-game factbook, you'll see that I've already made a couple mistakes.

Sometimes, both options seem to have merit. Like here.

Nazi Sympathizers Plan Rally
The Issue
Far-right-wing Nazi supporters plan to stage a rally in the city center tomorrow, giving voice to their violent, racist views.

The Debate
1."Frankly, I'm appalled that the government can even consider allowing this travesty to go ahead," says prominent Jewish personality Chloe Fellow. "We can't let these animals broadcast their message of hate. Surely Phobopolis is too civilized for that."

2."It's exactly because we're civilized that we must let the demonstration proceed," says free speech campaigner Ivan Taffs. "We may not like what they have to say, but in this society, people have the right to argue whatever political view they want, no matter how hateful, selfish, or stupid it is."

On the one hand, tattooed skinheads are exactly the type of people the City of Fear wants more of, so I'm tempted to select the first option.
But on the other hand, the first option would increase civil rights. And if my goal is to acheive as high a crime rate as possible, shouldn't I want to hinder civil rights as much as I can? After all, doesn't it naturally follow that the more things are made illegal, the more crime there will be? So I'm also tempted to select the second option.

So, bearing in mind that my goal is to have as high a crime and murder rate as possible, what advice do the experienced and qualified people of this forum have for the City of Fear?

And I'm positive I'll have similar questions about other issues in the future. I thank everyone in advance for your help.

-City of Fear

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun May 27, 2012 1:01 pm

Every issue is designed to have both positive and negative impacts. You quite simply can't choose options that only advance your chosen aims.

However, given that something that you consider a positive (high crime) is more commonly considered a negative, you may be able to get closer. You've correctly pointed out that increasing the freedom to commit crimes may actually work against your desired civil rights goals, so once again, you are left with tradeoffs.

Nobody will be able to give you exact advice, because NS issues are complex enough to be analyzed by the very few who know exactly what they do ... and most of those people are on staff, and won't talk. You should analyze the text, estimate possible effects, and make your choices. The next day will tell you if you chose correctly. Also note that the changes you make now, early in your nation's life, will have more impact than later. I call that effect "bureaucratic inertia". Even when you get the same issues later on, the impact will be different.

Phobopolis
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Phobopolis » Sun May 27, 2012 7:51 pm

I remember I had a nation once, and the issue came up of abolishing speed limits, which I did, and crime went up. I was like, "what the hell?" How can legalizing a thing that used to be illegal cause crime to go up? But in Phobopolis, where I want crime to go up, I'm thinking that if I legalize the Nazi rally, the same thing will happen here, even though it's completely counterintuitive.
Anyone have any guidance?

Phobopolis
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Phobopolis » Sun May 27, 2012 10:00 pm

Well, I allowed the rally, and it turned out to be the right choice. I chose to allow it because I figured that to ban it would cause a concomitant increase in law and order funding, which I certainly don’t want. And whaddya know? The Murder rate rose from 13 to 14, and crime went up from “a major problem” to pervasive. (Which, if I’m not mistaken, is the second-highest thing. Only “crippling” is higher, right?)
In fact, it was so successful, the next issue I got was “More Police Needed,” (Which, of course, I dismissed!)

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sun May 27, 2012 10:06 pm

Not every issue affects the same thing. A lot of times you have to be patient. But if you crime to go up, choose every option that involves decreasing the law and order budget. The early issues, which you are on, I have found don't seem to have as noticable an effect on your stats as some of the later ones.

Patience is the key.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun May 27, 2012 10:08 pm

Please don't use this thread to create a running commentary on your issue choices. We have 101,397 nations currently living, with 300-500 new nations daily. We really don't need the clutter.

If you want to keep a running tally, create a Factbook Dispatch and edit in your daily choices and commentary to your heart's content.

Phobopolis
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Phobopolis » Mon May 28, 2012 10:31 am

:palm:

You know what? Never mind. I'll be fine.
Thank you all very much for your assistance, and good luck.

CountryName llc
Civilian

Founded: Sep 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Economy

Postby CountryName llc » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:03 pm

what effect does it have on the economy?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?