NATION

PASSWORD

Palestinian police vow crackdown on LGBT events

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:50 am

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
New Hennig wrote:
Hamas is explicitly Islamist. That is whom we are speaking of.

Hamas is not the PA.

True, the West Bank government treats LGBT like inferior second class citizens.
Hamas jails, tortures and even executes them. As bad as the PA is Hamas is worse.

Note I am not defending the PA here. The PA is also shit. Unfortunately there are not good options.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:58 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Purgatio wrote:
Look, we're not a hive mind, as a community we can disagree on what events in LGBTQ history we want to venerate or not, and I'd rather not venerate a violent riot that caused one of Greenwich Village's most liberal newspapers to publish relentlessly-negative coverage of the violence and by any sane metric set back the movement and mainstream acceptance of LGBTQ rights. Maybe it kick-started the modern LGBTQ activist movement but the Stonewall Riots themselves are nothing to be proud of, in my view. And me being a member of the community doesn't automatically mean I have to hold the same opinion about this event in history.

The stonewall riots happened because police raided a gay bar and couldn't leave people alone. The cops had no one to blame but themselves for it, and there will be riots when peoples' freedom is being compromised.

I think calling Stonewall a riot is a bit unfair anyways. They were not burning and looting, it was more self defense.
Sure the late 60s early 70s riots were bad, but those are not representative of the Civil Rights movement as a whole. Sure parts of it went off the rails towards the end but it that is not reason to condemn the whole thing obviously.

Also in several cases it was white groups starting the violence.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:00 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
"Islamic fundamentalist" is often a dogwhistle for "anyone who is visibly muslim".

I think you need your hearing checked then. Because Islamic fundamentalists is pretty fucking explicit. There’s really no need to dogwhistle this shit. They’d just say Muslims bad.

We had a fundie on here until he got DOSd there’s a difference between him and the rest of NSG’s Muslim community

This ^^

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:03 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia wrote:If the government back then actually bothered to forcefully dismantle Jim Crow as soon as possible (Earlier than in 1964) and desegregate the south whatever it takes, along with finally tackling the extreme levels of poverty and inequality among minorities, then you wouldn't have these inner city riots. The root of nearly all crime is poverty, mental disorders, substance abuse, and economic inequality. Remove that and you remove 96% of all violent crime today.

And after people like Malcolm X, Dr. MLK Jr., and Robert Kennedy were all assassinated in the same time period by violent extremists, it's not hard to see why race riots were at an alltime high. Now imagine that, after being a oppressed minority for nearly your whole life, a prominent leader who strongly pushes for basic human rights, reparations, emancipation and dignity to be granted to your kind after centuries of enslavement is assassinated by a violent thug before he could meaningfully dismantle the barriers holding your community back. You would surely feel immense indignation yourself.

Social order means nothing when the social order is actively against you

This is true, many people will naturally rebel against a social order that is abusing people. If you fail to show people WHY they should support support the order, you failed.

The social contract works both ways. The people stand with the government but the government must also stand with the people. When the government becomes to far removed from the people and fails to defend the interests of the people, the people turn on the government.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:03 am

Novus America wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
The stonewall riots happened because police raided a gay bar and couldn't leave people alone. The cops had no one to blame but themselves for it, and there will be riots when peoples' freedom is being compromised.

I think calling Stonewall a riot is a bit unfair anyways. They were not burning and looting, it was more self defense.
Sure the late 60s early 70s riots were bad, but those are not representative of the Civil Rights movement as a whole. Sure parts of it went off the rails towards the end but it that is not reason to condemn the whole thing obviously.

Also in several cases it was white groups starting the violence.

In 1970 there was a riot in royal oak between white kids and the cops. a lot of ppl don't know this but Every one in Detroit does

And yeah stonewall was really an act of self defense against the police.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:04 am

Novus America wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:Hamas is not the PA.

Hamas jails, tortures and even executes them. As bad as the PA is Hamas is worse.

The Palestinian authority is stuck in the 1950s

Hamas is stuck in the 1050s
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:06 am

*gets some popcorn to eat while he watches the left fight in its big tent*
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Grosscobra Reich
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Grosscobra Reich » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:07 am

Nice one. Crush LGBT. They're scum to humanity. They don't deserve to live, but die. DIE DIE DIE!!!
Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer, Ein Cobra! SIEG HEIL!!! Treue oder Tod...

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:10 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Novus America wrote:

The PA is more 1850s. Things were not great in the 1950s on these issues but were at least improving.
But yes. PA is in the 1850s, Hamas is about a millennium behind the PA.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:10 am

Aclion wrote:*gets some popcorn to eat while he watches the left fight in its big tent*

That isn't what's happening here, but alright. :roll:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:11 am

Novus America wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

The PA is more 1850s. Things were not great in the 1950s on these issues but were improving.

How is the PA not the 1950s? Being gay was illegal in america till 1961. This totally would be the response the police in the US would have if this happened here back in the days of elvis. The culture in general in the Levant is a lot like the 20th century. The clothing is more formal, the cars are all old European cars and Every one likes Lionel Richie

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:12 am

Grosscobra Reich wrote:Nice one. Crush LGBT. They're scum to humanity. They don't deserve to live, but die. DIE DIE DIE!!!

Oh no two men are in love. Why do you even care?

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:13 am

Grosscobra Reich wrote:Nice one. Crush LGBT. They're scum to humanity. They don't deserve to live, but die. DIE DIE DIE!!!

:roll:

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:17 am

*** Warned for trolling ***
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:24 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Novus America wrote:
The PA is more 1850s. Things were not great in the 1950s on these issues but were improving.

How is the PA not the 1950s? Being gay was illegal in america till 1961. This totally would be the response the police in the US would have if this happened here back in the days of elvis. The culture in general in the Levant is a lot like the 20th century. The clothing is more formal, the cars are all old European cars and Every one likes Lionel Richie

Well there was never a nation wide ban on being gay in the US. States had anti sodomy laws but enforcement on private consensual acts was virtually non existent by then.
The main difference though is again the 50s was certainly not good on these issues, but it was the beginning of the end. A time when most people were looking to start fixing problems.
The Civil Rights movement was very active in the 50s and won many important victories in the 50s.

In 1955 the American Law Institute voted consensual homosexual activity should be decriminalized and that the new Model Penal Code should reflect this. A major step.

Saying the Middle East is like the 1950s seems to imply over the next 30 years or so there will be massive improvements.

Saying it is like the 1850s acknowledges things are not getting better and will remain shit for another century.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:44 am

Novus America wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Well there was never a nation wide ban on being gay in the US. Most states had anti sodomy laws but enforce was virtually non existent by then.
The main difference though is again the 50s was certainly not good on these issues, but it was the beginning of the end. A time when most people were looking to start fixing problems.

Saying the Middle East is like the 1950s seems to imply over the next 30 years or so there will be massive improvements.

Saying it is like the 1850s acknowledges things are not getting better and will remain shit for another century.

It depends where in the middle East though. You're lumping a region full of people together when it's a very diverse area of the world. For example being gay has been legal in Jordan since the 1950s and Turkey legalized it back in the 1800s, so clearly they are beyond the 1950s in that regard. As for palestine, I found this

"According to a 2010 compendium of laws against homosexuality produced by the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual and Intersex Association (ILGA), the decriminalization of homosexuality in Palestine is patchwork. On the one hand, same-sex acts were decriminalized in the Jordanian-controlled West Bank in 1951 and remain so to this day. On the other hand, in the Gaza Strip, the British Mandate Criminal Code Ordinance, No. 74 of 1936 remains in force and continues to outlaw same-sex acts between men, although lesbian women are not subjects of the code and their relations are thus, technically, not unlawful. Palestine has no civil rights laws that protect LGBT people from discrimination or harassment."

so being gay in the West bank is technically not illegal although gay people are still harassed by the authorities. So in that regard their gay rights are actually past the 1950s and more akin to the pre stonewall era of the 1960s and early 70s.

Then there's this case when it comes to lebanon:
"Article 534 of the Lebanese Penal Code prohibits having sexual relations that are "contradicting the laws of nature", which is punishable by up to a year in prison. As a practical matter, enforcement of the law had been varied and often occurred through occasional police arrests. In 2002, the police broke into a woman's house after her mother claimed that her daughter had stolen some money and jewelry. Upon entering the house, the police found the woman having sexual relations with another woman and charged them both with the crime of sodomy.

In 2007, Judge Mounir Suleiman called a halt to a criminal investigation of two men arrested under Article 534. He disputed that homosexuality was "contrary to the rules of nature" and noted that what was seen as "unnatural" reflected the social mores of the time. " the Levant is at least at the same social moment with gay rights as we were in the 50s or 60s. Clearly things are changing somewhat there and I expect that at least Lebanon will legalize gay rights in the next few years.

Not Saudi Arabia though. Definitely not them

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:55 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Well there was never a nation wide ban on being gay in the US. Most states had anti sodomy laws but enforce was virtually non existent by then.

It depends where in the middle East though. You're lumping a region full of people together when it's a very diverse area of the world. For example being gay has been legal in Jordan since the 1950s and Turkey legalized it back in the 1800s, so clearly they are beyond the 1950s in that regard. As for palestine, I found this

"According to a 2010 compendium of laws against homosexuality produced by the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual and Intersex Association (ILGA), the decriminalization of homosexuality in Palestine is patchwork. On the one hand, same-sex acts were decriminalized in the Jordanian-controlled West Bank in 1951 and remain so to this day. On the other hand, in the Gaza Strip, the British Mandate Criminal Code Ordinance, No. 74 of 1936 remains in force and continues to outlaw same-sex acts between men, although lesbian women are not subjects of the code and their relations are thus, technically, not unlawful. Palestine has no civil rights laws that protect LGBT people from discrimination or harassment."

so being gay in the West bank is technically not illegal although gay people are still harassed by the authorities. So in that regard their gay rights are actually past the 1950s and more akin to the pre stonewall era of the 1960s and early 70s.

"Article 534 of the Lebanese Penal Code prohibits having sexual relations that are "contradicting the laws of nature", which is punishable by up to a year in prison. As a practical matter, enforcement of the law had been varied and often occurred through occasional police arrests. In 2002, the police broke into a woman's house after her mother claimed that her daughter had stolen some money and jewelry. Upon entering the house, the police found the woman having sexual relations with another woman and charged them both with the crime of sodomy.

In 2007, Judge Mounir Suleiman called a halt to a criminal investigation of two men arrested under Article 534. He disputed that homosexuality was "contrary to the rules of nature" and noted that what was seen as "unnatural" reflected the social mores of the time. " the Levant is at least at the same social moment with gay rights as we were in the 50s or 60s. Clearly things are changing somewhat there and I expect that at least Lebanon will legalize gay rights in the next few years.

Fair enough. It should be noted that in 1955 the American Law Institute voted that homosexuality should be decriminalized and the new Model Penal Code should reflect this.
A major first step.

So some places like Lebanon or Jordan are better, and more like the US of the 1950s to 1970s.

The thing about the West Bank is unlike the US in that time things are moving backwards away from acceptance, not forward towards it. The US was getting better. The West Bank is getting worse. Saudi Arabia and Iran are worse than the US ever was so that is a different matter true.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:16 am

Novus America wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Fair enough. It should be noted that in 1955 the American Law Institute voted that homosexuality should be decriminalized and the new Model Penal Code should reflect this.
A major first step.

So some places like Lebanon or Jordan are better, and more like the US of the 1950s to 1970s.

The thing about the West Bank is unlike the US in that time things are moving backwards away from acceptance, not forward towards it. The US was getting better. The West Bank is getting worse. Saudi Arabia and Iran are worse than the US ever was so that is a different matter true.

I still have hope for palestine on gay rights because they're culturally similar to lebanon and Jordan who are more tolerant but Saudi Arabia and Iran are lost causes. Being gay there is a death sentence

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:31 am

Novus America wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:Hamas is not the PA.

Note I am not defending the PA here. The PA is also shit. Unfortunately there are not good options.

My point though, is that opposition to LGBT rights is not necessarily motivated by Islamic Fundamentalism, or Fundamentalism of any kind. People need to quit applying purity tests on things that are relatively new movements, the West is pretty much the only part of the world where the LGBT movement has won a resounding victory, and it will take decades for the rest of the world's secular political parties to catch up with that development.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:54 am

I'm sure Liberal/Leftists students in the west will find some way to justify still being pro-Palestine.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:57 am

Salus Maior wrote:I'm sure Liberal/Leftists students in the west will find some way to justify still being pro-Palestine.

Opposition to ethnic cleansing is the big way to justify it.
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:07 am

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:I'm sure Liberal/Leftists students in the west will find some way to justify still being pro-Palestine.

Opposition to ethnic cleansing is the big way to justify it.

While that's true, a lot of young liberal/leftist students go further and believe that Israel has no right to exist. Which also entails ethnic cleansing.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:11 am

Salus Maior wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:Opposition to ethnic cleansing is the big way to justify it.

While that's true, a lot of young liberal/leftist students go further and believe that Israel has no right to exist. Which also entails ethnic cleansing.

No, pretty much everyone in the West except pro-Israel people support a two-state solution, even the PLO supports a two-state solution with the 1967 borders. That's an Israeli talking point to justify their continued pursuit of a one-state solution that destroys Palestine.

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:19 am

Because their concern for gay people extends only as far as they can use gay people as a political weapon.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:47 am

Love is love.Love all over the world should be legal
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4