NATION

PASSWORD

Latin motto clinic

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:10 am

Conoga wrote:
Raccoon Creek wrote:Raccoons are Columbian? The term raccoon originates from Virginia Algonquian "aroughcun".
A good day to learn a new word, then! Columbian and Colombian aren't the same word.
Raccoon Creek wrote:That’s fine. I just want to use which ever translation works best. What is the English translation of ”Procyon ad litem invenitur”?
"The raccoon can be found at the lawsuit."

Litus is irregular, its accusative is litus.
"Procyon ad litus invenitur," is, "The raccoon can be found at the shore."

That's what doing torts does to one's Latin! In any case, it's not irregular. It's neuter, so the nominative and accusative forms are identical.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:57 am

Great Nortend wrote:
Conoga wrote:A good day to learn a new word, then! Columbian and Colombian aren't the same word."The raccoon can be found at the lawsuit."

Litus is irregular, its accusative is litus.
"Procyon ad litus invenitur," is, "The raccoon can be found at the shore."

That's what doing torts does to one's Latin! In any case, it's not irregular. It's neuter, so the nominative and accusative forms are identical.
the entire neuter gender seems pretty irregular to me :^)

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:47 am

Indeed; I probably would consider the fourth and fifth declensions irregular too.
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Grand Platypus Imperium
Civilian

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Platypus Imperium » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:58 am

Could I have my motto be made into Latin? Here is my motto "The Holy Platypus shall guide us!" Thanks to whoever does it

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Ornithorhynchus sanctus nos diriget

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:33 pm

I would choose 'Platypus santus nos diriget'. Platypus is New Latin already, though it formally refers to weevils. I think you could stretch it to include actual platypus.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Serica-
Lobbyist

Founded: May 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Serica- » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Hello, I would like "Conquer all that we shall not destroy" in Latin. Thanks in advance.
Puppet of Voxija and part of the same universe as Ssejekistan.
We are Daguo.

Erythrean Thebes
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Erythrean Thebes » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Omnes vincite quos non destruemus - referring to conquering all people

Or you can substitute omnia and quae for omnes and quos, to refer to conquering all things
Last edited by Erythrean Thebes on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ἐρύθρα᾽Θήβαι
Factbook | Embassy | Religion | Community
Create a Colony in YN!
ATTN DEMOCRACIES - JOIN THE OCEANIC SECURITY COUNCIL - SAVE DEMOCRACY

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:27 pm

What would be the proper Latin translation of "Bound in blood and spirit"?
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:57 pm

Nexus in sanguine et spiritu

Or if the implication is that 'we' or 'they' are bound, 'Nexi' for masucline. If female, 'Nexa' or 'Nexæ' for singular and plural respectively. If neuter, 'Nexum' or 'Nexa' Unless I'm very much mistaken of course.
Last edited by Great Nortend on Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:11 am

Great Nortend wrote:Nexus in sanguine et spiritu

Or if the implication is that 'we' or 'they' are bound, 'Nexi' for masucline. If female, 'Nexa' or 'Nexæ' for singular and plural respectively. If neuter, 'Nexum' or 'Nexa' Unless I'm very much mistaken of course.

Thank you.

I don’t believe you’re far off. The motto does imply “we”, as in the native peoples of Versilia, are bound.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

Sigfire
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sigfire » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:34 pm

Can i have "Bound by Conquest, by Look Away" translated. Also can the line look away refer to a thing?

Thanks in advance.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:00 am

What do you mean, 'by look away'? A conquest 'bound' by looking away? Can you put it into standard English so that the meaning can be ascertained more clearly?

Sigfire
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sigfire » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:55 am

Great Nortend wrote:What do you mean, 'by look away'? A conquest 'bound' by looking away? Can you put it into standard English so that the meaning can be ascertained more clearly?

By look away i mean like a org, not something like "Hey look away creep"

Bound by Conquest, by Look Away
Bound by Conquest, by [organization name]
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Kyria
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyria » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:53 pm

What might be the Latin translation "Kyria" in the context of "Senate and People of Kyria"? I am trying to emulate the full SQPR phrase, but with Kyria instead of Rome.
REPUBLIC OF KYRIA ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΊΑ ΚῩ́ΡΕΙᾹΣ
MT 'modern Byzantium' blending Orwell and Mirror’s Edge with NazCentBol-esque Blue Helmet neoimperialism and tacticool Stormtrooperesque faceless legions.
Capital: Constantinople | President: Ioánnis Bardanes | Religion: Orthodox Christianity | Factbook | Map | News

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:57 pm

I'd go for Kyricus along the same lines as Syricus for Syria. Senatus Populusque Kyricus.

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:59 pm

How about "The Timeless Third of Seventh, Now We Defend the H"
TEMPORARILY USING NSTATS DUE TO LACK OF FACTBOOKS, BUT I'M JUDGING YOU (F7ERS) BY YOUR FACTBOOKS.
<< TERRAN INTERSTELLAR ADMINISTRATION >>
Adminyztrasyn Vilstityr Rasyn

THEMES: Peace | Tension | War | Victory | Defeat | National Anthem
NATIONAL Q&A
"For a vast majority of its existence, mankind dreamed to reach the stars. Yet today, reaching the stars is made a reality through joint endeavor."
- Operations Director of the T.I.A., Hilbert Lachlan Silverwell

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:01 pm

Why did you bother to translate this?

I might use it for a puppet.
Last edited by Pacomia on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:26 pm

Do you mean you want a translation of, “Why did you bother to translate this?” ?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:10 am

“Hrarroom!” (“Greetings!”)
Here I am again, asking for more help with Latin for taxonomical purposes.

Firstly, with regard to
Gigaverse wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:That sounds lovely: Thank you!
:)
Presumably the derived Family name (Genus name, genitive case, with the '-idae' suffix) would simply be Hippydoridae?

Do it without the o. Hippydridae.
I plan on adding a second genus to that family: Would reversing the order of the name’s two elements work, giving us a name along the lines of ‘Hydrohippus’? (And if so then should this drop the ‘o’, the second ‘h’, or even both of those letters?) If not, then what can you suggest — apart from ‘Hippopotamus’, of course — that has a basically similar meaning?

Secondly, for a vaguely pig-like animal, would ‘Porcinus’ be good enough Latin (even if its roots are on Late Latin?) to use? And, from that, ‘Porculinus’ for a smaller form?

EDIT: I've discovered that a RL species called the 'Hog Deer' has the Latin name Axis porcinus, so the root should certainly be acceptable for a genus's name even if the ending needs to be changed.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Kyria
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyria » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:25 am

Great Nortend wrote:I'd go for Kyricus along the same lines as Syricus for Syria. Senatus Populusque Kyricus.

Thanks.
REPUBLIC OF KYRIA ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΊΑ ΚῩ́ΡΕΙᾹΣ
MT 'modern Byzantium' blending Orwell and Mirror’s Edge with NazCentBol-esque Blue Helmet neoimperialism and tacticool Stormtrooperesque faceless legions.
Capital: Constantinople | President: Ioánnis Bardanes | Religion: Orthodox Christianity | Factbook | Map | News

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:41 am

And another request for taxonomical Latin help _

One word for sulphurous stenches is ‘mephitic’, and from this there is a [RL] genus of Skunks called Mephitis from which their entire family — now that its’s seen by taxonomists as separate from the Weasel family Mustelidae — is named the Mephitidae.
Am I right in presuming, therefore, that for a type of [non-RL] animal which I’m colloquially calling ‘Stench Rats’ the label ‘Mephitirattus’ would be good enough Latin to use for the genus name, and that this would give the family name [from its genitive form] of ‘Mephitirattidae’?

Also_

I know that the term “arboreal”, used for tree-living animals, comes from the Latin word ‘arbor’. If I want to use this as the first element in the name of a Genus, for example by combining it with ‘Didelphis’ (which, by itself is name for one Genus of Opossums…) for a genus of highly-arboreal opossums, should it just be Arbor- or should there be an extra vowel inserted (so, for example, giving us either Arborididelphis or Arborodidelphis…) instead? Does this depend on the gender of the name’s second element?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

United Earthlings
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United Earthlings » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:50 am

A translation check...

Mare Meridionali

Thank you
Commonwealth Defence Export|OC Thread for Storefront|Write-Ups
Embassy Page|Categories Types

You may delay, but time will not, therefore make sure to enjoy the time you've wasted.

Welcome to the NSverse, where funding priorities and spending levels may seem very odd, to say the least.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:14 am

Sea of the South? Your cases are a bit off: 'Mare' is nominative/accusative/vocative whereas 'Meridionali' is dative or ablative. If you wanted the 'Sea of the South', it would be 'Mare Meridionalis'.

New Solaurora
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Solaurora » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:31 pm

I would like my Latin motto to mean "Reborn to Reach the Stars" so my current motto is Renati ad Astra which I'm not too sure is a good translation.
---------
New Solaurora
---------

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay