NATION

PASSWORD

Did Christine O'Donnell pass High School Civics?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:10 pm

It never fails to surprise me how often rightwingers get caught not knowing how the topic they're running on, or voting on, advocating policy about actually work. This time, they clearly have a totally wrong notion of how public education is funded and run, and about which party has recently been the one to interfere with it, yet this is one of the topics that they claim to have clear and strong views on. It amazes me. :palm:
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Vonners wrote:
greed and death wrote:
But the feds aren't in education. WE only got a federal standardized test under Bush thanks to the No Child Left behind act. Otherwise there is literally no across the board federal education.

what about those SAT type tests? Aren't they federal?

nope
they are private testing companies.
whatever

Vonners
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:23 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Vonners wrote:
what about those SAT type tests? Aren't they federal?

nope

but where is the profit coming from?
Beer - the other white meat

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:27 pm

Vonners wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:nope

dont you pay to take those tests? i dont remember.
whatever

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:27 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Vonners wrote:

Wiki sayeth, "The current SAT Reasoning Test, introduced in 2005, takes three hours and forty-five minutes, and costs $47 ($75 International), excluding late fees."
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Vonners wrote:

I thought they were compulsory and administered by the school you are attending? I really don't know...I think I did a SAT but that was a while back. Or was it a PSAT? Actually is there such a thing as a PSAT?

I think I've been through too many school systems...national school systems that is :lol:

Deus Malum
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Deus Malum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:dont you pay to take those tests? i dont remember.

Wiki sayeth, "The current SAT Reasoning Test, introduced in 2005, takes three hours and forty-five minutes, and costs $47 ($75 International), excluding late fees."

In addition, the private company that owns, publishes, what-have-you the test is a non-profit.
"Blood for the Blood God!" - Khorne Berserker
"Harriers for the Cup!" *shoots* - Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium

Deus Malum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Deus Malum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Vonners wrote:

I thought they were compulsory and administered by the school you are attending? I really don't know...I think I did a SAT but that was a while back. Or was it a PSAT? Actually is there such a thing as a PSAT?

I think I've been through too many school systems...national school systems that is :lol:

You're probably thinking of the PSAT.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Deus Malum wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Wiki sayeth, "The current SAT Reasoning Test, introduced in 2005, takes three hours and forty-five minutes, and costs $47 ($75 International), excluding late fees."

In addition, the private company that owns, publishes, what-have-you the test is a non-profit.

By gosh, so they are. That's why it's only $47 and not $147.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

wow! things have changed...I certainly don't remember having to pay for these tests...still ...if it moves...monetise it eh?

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:32 pm

Deus Malum wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Wiki sayeth, "The current SAT Reasoning Test, introduced in 2005, takes three hours and forty-five minutes, and costs $47 ($75 International), excluding late fees."

Thanks to generous salaries. The whole scheme was a cleverly devised kickback to their friends in the evaluation and testing industries.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
TOKYONI UNJUSTLY DELETED 19/06/2011 - SAY NO TO MOD IMPERIALISM
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Where's inda? Or Russa for that matter?

idot inda is asias gron and russa is its hat ok :palm:

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Deus Malum wrote:
Vonners wrote:

You're probably thinking of the PSAT.

yeah could well be...

Deus Malum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Deus Malum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Deus Malum wrote:In addition, the private company that owns, publishes, what-have-you the test is a non-profit.

By gosh, so they are. That's why it's only $47 and not $147.

What's with the snark? I was just adding to information already provided.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Vonners wrote:
Deus Malum wrote:You're probably thinking of the PSAT.

yeah could well be...

Neither is compulsory. There's a great deal of pressure to take them, because everyone in America should go to college, but you aren't required by any means.

"PSAT/NMSQT stands for Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. It's a fee-based standardized test that provides first-hand practice for the SAT Reasoning Test. It also functions as a qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarship Corporation scholarship programs."

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:35 pm

The College Board, a private non-profit organization of education professionals and institutions owns and sells the SAT tests.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:36 pm

Yeah. She attended Hogwarts. They don't 'fail' people at Hogwarts, as punishment they just transform you into a large pot of mashed potatoes.
Last edited by Unibot on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Vonners wrote:
yeah could well be...

Neither is compulsory. There's a great deal of pressure to take them, because everyone in America should go to college, but you aren't required by any means.

"PSAT/NMSQT stands for Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. It's a fee-based standardized test that provides first-hand practice for the SAT Reasoning Test. It also functions as a qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarship Corporation scholarship programs."

what little I remember was that we had to take one of these exams...it was compulsory...then again I really don't remember much about my actual schooling from way back then...

anyway...Christine cannot be considered a credible candidate.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:46 pm

Is it only because she's a conservative woman?

I bet if this was a hardcore liberal woman, all some of NSG would be praising her for her loyality to Obamaism liberalism.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:Is it only because she's a conservative woman?

I bet if this was a hardcore liberal woman, all some of NSG would be praising her for her loyality to Obamaism liberalism.

No not really...if it was a Dem or Lib I'd have posted the same.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:54 pm

i bet youre wrong.

evidence:

no liberal is lionizing alvin greene (running for senate in NC against jim demint)
whatever

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:54 pm

How cute, those crossings-out.

If a hardcore liberal woman were as uninformed and as proud of it, despite pretending to have studied at three separate colleges which have little or no record of her, I would lead the charge to get rid of her. Ignorance is not and should not be chic, which is what O'Donnell, Palin, Angle and Bachmann have made it. Nice role models for the young, ladies, real nice.

Deus Malum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Deus Malum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:57 pm

I bet if you keep constructing strawman arguments we're going to keep laughing at your pathetic excuse for debate.

Oh look, turns out I'm right.

Jingoist Hippostan
Ambassador

Founded: May 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jingoist Hippostan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Ashmoria wrote:

i bet youre wrong.

evidence:

no liberal is lionizing alvin greene (running for senate in NC against jim demint)

I bet he's wrong.

Evidence:

Not knowing about the constitution is not loyalty to liberalism.
I am a communist and a Nazi.

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:17 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:I have no objection to mathematics, in and of itself. It's simply a field of study that does nothing to improve men. Certainly, it can help make nifty devices that make life more convenient or longer--but what's the use of an extra five years of life if those years are devoid of beauty and love and enlightenment?

1) Those little ideas from mathematics, physics, chemistry, and medicine that have improved life have also made man better. You can't realize your potential as a corpse.

2) Do you seriously only value knowledge in terms of the benefits it gives? The humanities are only good because they improve people? There's no inherent value in knowledge just for the sake of knowledge?

3) Most scientists and mathematicians aren't in it for improving mankind or deriving practical benefits. They are driven by a fundamental curiosity and desire to understand the universe. You have a pathetically shallow understanding of the motivations of science.
Cool shit here, also here.

Conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, logical consistency, quantum field theory, general respect for life and other low entropy formations, pleasure, minimizing the suffering of humanity and maximizing its well-being, equality of opportunity, individual liberty, knowledge, truth, honesty, aesthetics, imagination, joy, philosophy, entertainment, and the humanities.

Deus Malum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Deus Malum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:20 pm

Unhealthy2 wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:I have no objection to mathematics, in and of itself. It's simply a field of study that does nothing to improve men. Certainly, it can help make nifty devices that make life more convenient or longer--but what's the use of an extra five years of life if those years are devoid of beauty and love and enlightenment?

1) Those little ideas from mathematics, physics, chemistry, and medicine that have improved life have also made man better. You can't realize your potential as a corpse.

2) Do you seriously only value knowledge in terms of the benefits it gives? The humanities are only good because they improve people? There's no inherent value in knowledge just for the sake of knowledge?

3) Most scientists and mathematicians aren't in it for improving mankind or deriving practical benefits. They are driven by a fundamental curiosity and desire to understand the universe. You have a pathetically shallow understanding of the motivations of science.

This always amuses me when people believe Relativity had no useful technological contribution and then gush about having GPS on their new smart phones.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General