NATION

PASSWORD

♞ Dynasties ♞ [CLOSED]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rastrian
Spokesperson

Founded: May 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Rastrian » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:15 pm

STANDARDS OF GYRRHIC LAW
CXX-CXXI
WRITTEN BY GRAVEKEEPER AVASTAS

THE GOD IS DEAD. THE GOD'S DEATH FOUNDED THE UNIVERSE. REJOICE IN ITS DEATH, BUT RESPECT IT ALSO.
THE GOD IS NO MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE ANCESTORS. DO NOT BECOME ENTRAPPED, AS BARBARIANS DO, IN IDOLIZING THE GOD. IT IS SIMPLY A FOLLY.

GHENAS YUKOTH LETH
Pelitathi Dungeons

The dungeons were not a place where many chose to spend their time. The distant drip... drip... drip of the water being the all-penetrating noise that invaded Ghenas' mind, the company of the occasional rat all that gave him comfort. His meals, delivered regularly upon simple wooden boards, often ill-prepared for him, gave him his only available sustenance, though for the most part, he elected not to partake. He felt his form become ever weaker, the hairs on his chin and jawline growing longer, the occasional fly landing on his now-putrid form. Ghenas could not see what state he was in. His eyes had begun to adapt, slightly, but the darkness was never something one could simply penetrate, even when one had been there for a long time. Ghenas Leth had been in the dungeon for about three days. Despite the drip of the water, despite the company of rats, despite the regularity of meals, there was but one thing that drove Ghenas Yukoth Leth to continue. The thought of a crown of gold upon his head, a scepter in his right hand, and the head of Hamadas Yulekoth Naesh beneath his boot.

Yes, the man to whom Ghenas had not shown particular antipathy towards during many years of serving together at their King's leisure... That man had been so quick to turn on him. Ghenas was still not entirely sure whether it was the accusation of murder, or simply a petty wish for revenge, only disguised by that stoic, moralistic exterior that led Hamadas Naesh to call for Ghenas' imprisonment. He had done it so quickly, so unquestioningly... Did their rapport, even any small mutual respect, not deter him at all? Some Kyll fool sends a letter, and Hamadas Naesh, that martial-idiot, believes every word of it? Ghenas' stomach groaned. He was in need of food, and yet, he could hear the sound of the rats around him, their detestable screeches taunting him... But Ghenas was not angered by them. They were animals, scarce able to think past their most carnal desires. If bread and lettuce was what they desired, the laws of nature deemed it theirs. And poor Ghenas was left by the wayside.

No. Not poor. Never. Unfortunate for the time being, perhaps. But Ghenas Leth would not be downtrodden for long.

The clank of the lock on the door jolted Ghenas awake fully. Three clanks, then a woody groan, before the door creaked open, flooding the dungeons with torchlight. Ghenas clenched his jaw and put his arm feebly in front of his face. He heard one set of footsteps, followed by another set closing the door behind the first. The same pattern in reverse, creak, groan, three clanks. The footsteps slowed in front of Ghenas. Those padded soles, coupled with that pace. There was only one person it could be.

"Not here for a stroll then, I take it, Theras?"

Ghenas heard a loud sigh from the Seneschal, who placed the torch into a hole on the wall. Ghenas peered between his fingers, the pain beginning to subside, as the man stepped forward towards the cage bars. Theras Bestanoth Hais was wearing a red velvet coat... Not his usual Seneschal’s attire, perhaps, but certainly something he might wear around the castle on occasion. He must not have been working that day, meaning it was likely the weekend. Ghenas was glad that he had not lost track of time while interred in the dungeons. Theras leant up against the bars, arms crossed, one leg behind the other, and looked over Ghenas in the way that one might look over a dirty dog.

"Dungeon life getting to you?"

Ghenas smiled, as he leant back onto the dungeon wall, "Everything's great down here. I'd introduce you to the rats, though I'm sure you wouldn't like to hear A History of the Chaalesh recounted in squeaks..." Theras was visibly confused. Ghenas laughed, "I'm fine, thank you."

The Seneschal rolled his eyes. Theras was not one to usually visit Ghenas Leth, even in official matters. It was usually a servant, or another member of the Council, often Olamas Kheyn, who would meet with him in Theras' stead. And it was for good reason. The two, despite deep family connections, did not get along. Though Theras was not as doggish or dull as the Naesh Clanlord, sticking with his honour until, Ghenas could only assume, he died of it, Hais was certainly still bound by a sense of morality. No, more than that. Ghenas could understand a moral code, he had one himself. This one, though, did things in the name of goodness without being a slave to it. He was fine with being a servant himself, if it meant other men could rule. He even seemed actively averse to the idea of ruling. Yes, Theras was an enigma in many ways. And this meeting was only more enigmatic.

"So, why are you here, Hais?"

Hais visibly shrugged, "Perhaps I want to beat a confession out of you. You are convicted of murder, aren't you Ghenas?"

Ghenas' mouth turned upwards at the sides in a knowing smile, "But you don't believe that, do you?"

Theras slowly shook his head, "In all the time we've known each other, you've advocated the unfair taxing of lords who disobey the King, the permission of piracy as long as it served your interests, the subjective reading of laws to benefit your Clan, but... Whenever it came to the idea of killing... Now, that's where you stopped."

Ghenas nodded. What the man said was true. In fact, he could not have put it better. The idea of resorting to murder when a smart word here or there would suffice... It was alien to him.

"So then," Ghenas responded, a level of overt sarcasm in his voice, "Why did I do that terrible deed?"

Theras pursed his lips, a conflicted expression on his face, evidently unsure whether to tell him or not. He appeared to make up his mind, before continuing, "Olamas and I are still not sure that you did it. Zavenas and Hamadas, however, are sure you did it to remove a contender to the throne..." He shook his head, "Well, that's what Hamadas thinks. Zavenas, in traditional fashion, simply accepts Clan Kyll's account, and gets angry at the very mention of your name."

Ah, Zavenas Balv. If loyalty to the Kyll Clan were valued, Zavenas would be the richest man in the Realm. Clans Balv and Kyll have been historic allies, but Zavenas takes that to the level of worship. When Tedas was still alive, Zavenas Balv could be counted as the staunchest ally in all matters of state and law. In fact, he worshipped the very ground that the King stood on. The King once told Ghenas that the man was a competent Steward once… If that could have been possible. The aged, fattened Clanlord acted for no-one’s interests but his own, and even that was done with a sluggish hesitancy born from a long-addled mind.

“I’ll admit,” Ghenas finally spoke, “Killing off the Kyll man would have removed the strongest contender to my rule,” Ghenas rocked his head from side to side, “A good strategy, for a fictitious Ghenas.”

Theras knelt on the dungeon floor, aiming to see at eye level with the imprisoned man, “So who did it?”

Once more, Ghenas felt his mouth curl into a smile, “A wise move, Seneschal, asking me for help in this.”

Once again, in response, Theras sighed, “Don’t make me regret it.”

Ghenas moved forwards in his cage, the aching in his bones causing each movement to be pained. He moved on three limbs, his left arm free while his right arm and two legs struggled to balance the man as he made his first proper movements in a long time. He sat directly opposite Theras, behind the steel bars. Theras noticeably screwed up his face in apparent disgust with the man in the cage. Good, Ghenas thought to himself, I have his full attention.

“See, not many men in the realm want to be King,” Ghenas spoke casually, “There’s me, of course, and the late Zireas Namiroth Kyll, though I’m sure if it were suicide there would be no-one - well, no-one sane at least - calling for my head. Then there’s Yukadas Tethoth Yti, though he’s too barbaric to realise that infiltrating a castle rather than simply torching it to the ground is a valid strategy. So, remembering of course that it’s not me, that means that it can’t have been anybody.”

Theras raised an eyebrow. He knew that Ghenas was playing coy, and did not appreciate playing word games. Ghenas took that as his cue to move onwards with the conversation.

“That is, no-one running just for King.”

And it was at that moment that Theras widened his eyes, the flame-light licking his face, the shadows dancing over the realisation present in each contour, the creases of thought accentuated by the darkness.

“Exactly. It has to be someone of Clan Kyll. Moreover, someone who thinks that, without a strong driving influence, they stand a chance of winning.”

Theras leaned in closer, shifting his body weight as he did so, “But who would stand to win the Clanlordship in Zireas’ stead?”

Ghenas leaned in to match, “I honestly don’t have a clue.”

Theras sat back, evidently disappointed. Ghenas sat back with him, looking at the plate of food sitting by his foot, now nearly gone thanks to the rodents around the dungeon.

“I should have guessed you wouldn’t know,” Theras said sullenly.

“I thought the election was as decided as you did. If Naesh had bothered to check my letters, he would have seen one expressly addressed to Zireas Kyll. I didn’t think I needed a knowledge of their internal Clan affairs.”

Theras sighed, “And Hamadas was so sure that Clan Kyll would bring about another honourable King… He would have staked his life on such a thing.”

Ghenas chuckled softly, the sound reverberating through the dungeon, “My dear Seneschal… There is no such thing as honour. Even less so honourable men.”

Theras gazed over, more confusion upon his face, “That’s not true, of course.”

“Oh, but it is,” Ghenas looked back to Theras, “Honour is where critical thought goes to die. What difference is the honour of a soldier on the battlefield to the honour of your Hamadas? Both serve something, both act a certain way because of invisible rules that govern their being…”

“Exactly,” Theras spoke up, “Honour can be shared by all. It’s universal.”

Ghenas smiled sadly, “And that is useful how? Honour is the eternal lie that idiots tell themselves to defend their actions. It has no discretion, it has no independent thought, it is but a set of rules that someone imagined would be ‘nice’, and they follow them until those rules kill them. If I chose men by honour, I could not tell whether I got the brightest man alive or a dullard. There’s your ‘universal honour’.”

Theras tried to laugh away the point, “You are far too cynical, Ghenas. Honour is to be merited… Not all men can uphold what honour demands.”

“Tell me, Theras,” Ghenas continued, “In a matter of secrecy, what would honour have me do?”

Theras lowered his eyebrows, “Whatever would yield justice. Whatever law and decency demand.”

“So in the matter of your infatuation with men, what should I do?”

Theras’ eyes shot back to Ghenas, who remained with a coy smile about his face. “How do you…”

“See, Theras Leth, I value information. It’s a great thing to be informed about your enemies, and indeed your allies,” In the midst of abortive objections from Theras, Ghenas held up a hand to stop him, “I understand, I have invaded your precious privacy in this regard. But were I an honourable man, I would have to tell someone, anyone about your state of being.”

“Were you an honourable man, you would never have endeavoured to find out, you snake!”

“I mean you no harm, Leth,” Ghenas spoke again, softly and calmly, “Merely to show you that honour is not everything. In fact, it is near-nothing. The best thing I can trust an honest man to do is not to try and surpass me, either for the sake of their precious ‘honour’, or for genuine lack of ability. You will see this in time.”

Theras pursed his lips once more, cheeks appearing to redden, even in the torchlight. He removed the torch from the wall, spinning around to glare at Ghenas once more.

“But to be honest, my lips are sealed on the subject. I value our talks too much to reveal something like that.”

Theras evidently considered responding to that, before seeming to relax somewhat, beginning to turn away, “I must write a message to Hamadas. He should not trust the Lords of Kyll…”

“Message? Is he away?”

Theras stopped for a second, sighed once more, and turned to leave for good. Knocking on the door, the locks clanked thrice, the groan of a bar being lifted and the creak of the door opening signalling that Theras was leaving. The same in reverse, the door closed, the bar dropped and the lock clanked thrice, and the dungeon was in complete darkness again.

ACOLYTE ANTADAS
Mausoleum of Kings

The young Acolyte carried various notes as he traversed the great hall of the Mausoleum of Kings, hurrying to the meeting he had with the High Council of the Order of Gravekeepers, where he would act as secretary. The job was not glamorous, but Antadas relished the opportunity to learn. After all, he still needed to prove that he was able to read and write, as he said he could. Antadas thought it was somewhat bureaucratic to have to prove oneself in that way, but if it was ultimately in the service of the Ancestors, he found it fulfilling. He, as should all Gyrrhic people, loved the Ancestors. Why others did not join the Gravekeepers, Antadas did not understand, as that had been his aim since being a young boy in his own village. Either way, this new opportunity would not present itself if he was late, so rushing across the massive hall, still trying to take in all of the wondrous artwork.

He ascended a set of stairs between the Clan Hais and Clan Yti spires, the set which would take him up to the offices of the High Council. When he had gone far enough, he stopped, pushing on the door with his back. The door opened sharply, causing a short thud as it struck the wall next to it. Inside sat all of the high council, including Gravekeeper Hireas, Antadas' instructor. Hireas appeared somewhat bemused by the Acolyte's tardiness, but brushed it off with that trademark look of his which said, 'See me later'.

"Is this the Acolyte you spoke of, Hireas?"

Antadas looked over at the man speaking. The High Gravekeeper, Talaras, sitting on a chair, robes resplendent silver and gold, with black suns decorating the robes, the light of the sun roof causing the robes to appear to morph and change with every simple movement that the High Gravekeeper made. Of course, as a member of the Order of Gravekeepers, Antadas was not expected to bow in the presence of the High Gravekeeper, but his overall appearance, one of holiness and even perhaps a grandiose expectation of respect, made it difficult not to. Antadas resisted his urges - it had been a long process for Hireas to teach him not to bow to every shrine in the whole Mausoleum, and he did not want to prove that he was still too youthful and immature to finish his Gravekeeper training. However long that would be...

"Yes, this is Antadas. He's been here about a month thus far, High Gravekeeper."

"Are you enjoying your training, Antadas?"

Hireas nodded towards Antadas, who bowed his head slightly, "Yes, Your Holiness. I have learnt much."

The High Gravekeeper smiled, the reflection of his cloak shining onto his chin as he did so, "Good. It is a holy task, to learn with instruction. Through learning, we deepen our understanding of the world the Ancestors have left us, in custom, in composition and in their light."

"As it is said," one of the Council chimed in. The rest of the councillors, followed by Antadas, repeated.

"Be seated, Antadas," Hireas gestured gently towards a chair at the side of the Council room. This one had a desk next to it, with an inkpot and quill, with a large ream of parchment. Antadas soon noticed the presence of another Gravekeeper next to where he would be seated, his own ream of parchment, though without the desk which Antadas had. The Acolyte walked down towards the desk, sitting gently on the rather uncomfortable wooden chair. He could feel the eyes of the other Gravekeeper boring into his neck, and could only assume this one was either to rate his performance or write a separate set of notes as Antadas did. This man likely had more training, but Antadas would prove his ability soon enough.

"Let us begin," the High Gravekeeper struck a small bell with an even smaller metal gavel, "What is the state of the faith in this realm?"

"Your Holiness, our Gravekeepers have been interring some fairly high-class nobles, and indeed, attendance has gone up as a result. This will only bring holiness to the Ancestors and..."

"I'm sorry," another chimed in, this one hunched in his seat, old and appearing frail, with a trembling voice to match, "Are we going to ignore the sheer heretics that plague regional Mausoleums in this realm? Your Holiness, they have only been invigorated by the deaths of these nobles, and are organising in greater numbers than usual."

Antadas had not heard that word before. 'Heretics'. He tried spelling it out, feeling the heat of the other Gravekeeper looking over his paper. He heard the scratching of quill to parchment. He had done something wrong, evidently.

"A group of heretics is no issue to us," the first said, "They have been given the freedom to interpret the worship of the Ancestors however they wish."

"These 'Creatists', as they call themselves, do indeed pose a threat! Their worship of the God is eclipsing their duties as tenders of the graves. Why, in one village, they've stopped interring the dead entirely, with peasants having to walk to their Clan's Mausoleums to bury their Ancestors."

The gavel on the bell sounded, but yet again, Antadas was stuck on that word - 'Creatists'. He again tried spelling it, and again, the scratching of the quill sounded in his ear.

"We all respect the God, Talykas," the High Gravekeeper spoke softly, "Why do you fear these Gravekeepers so heavily?"

"With respect, Your Holiness, they are placing the worship of the God above that of the Ancestors," the second Gravekeeper spoke up, "Though the God should not be above of our own predecessors. If we let this go unchecked, they will become like barbarians inside our own nation! We cannot let things develop that far."

The High Gravekeeper thought for a moment, "I am sure it will pass in time... Though perhaps we should act on this. Talykas, you are free to send a number of Itinerants to these so-called 'heretics'. Perhaps, in time, we can find a way to reconcile their faith with ours."

"As you say, Your Holiness," Talykas spoke softly. Meanwhile, Antadas was still trying to work out the word 'heretic'. The scratching of quill on parchment would only continue throughout the meeting...

Outside the Meeting

Antadas was the last to leave, having already given the parchment he wrote on to the other Gravekeeper, who looked over it solemnly. It was not certain if this one ever smiled, though he did grunt somewhat approvingly as he saw it, pushing past Antadas to exit quickly. Antadas, still collecting his effects, exited slower, finally pulling the door open to see Hireas standing in deep meditation.

Antadas softly spoke, trying in vain to be as unnoticeable as possible while also respecting the older man, "Hello, Gravekeeper."

Hireas looked over to the Acolyte, a somewhat less than enthused look upon his face, "Are you often this tardy, Acolyte?"

Antadas shook his head quickly, trying to dispel any notion that he would be again in future. Hireas nodded, "Good. Tardiness is a violation of duty. To be tardy is one step away from not performing duties at all. Remember that."

"Yes, Gravekeeper," Antadas apologetically replied.

"However, that said, Gravekeeper Tzolakas was pleased by your work, which, despite a number of spelling errors, which shall improve in time, surpassed most other Acolytes your age."

Antadas cautiously looked up towards the Gravekeeper, hoping this was good news he was being given.

"Relax, Acolyte. You have done well."

The young Acolyte smiled, feeling free to show some measure of pride in his own work. Hireas continued, "Moreover, you have made a good impression on the High Gravekeeper. No doubt, your trials will be short and you will wear the tower and shovel as we do."

"Thank you, Gravekeeper Hireas," Antadas responded. The elder man bowed his head, smiling softly.

"Now I believe Gravekeeper Yarodas has some tasks for you. Off you go."

Antadas took his leave of the man, carrying his papers and equipment as he went. He had done well, he thought. If Hireas thought so, it must have been true.

HAMADAS YULEKOTH NAESH
Enroute to Castle Kyll

The incessant snoring of the Steward as the carriage rocked back and forth was almost as bad as the rest of it. Thankfully, the road was fairly smooth, having been present for many generations of Gyrrhic folk, almost as old as the nation itself, but stopping every few miles to feed and water the horses, or to let out the Steward for his own bowel movements, meant that the journey up until that point, a long and tiresome one even before the stopping, had been protracted beyond necessary levels. Despite miles of beautiful Gyrrhic countryside beyond that point, Hamadas could only think of continuing the journey towards the Soresant Bay, the home of Clan Kyll.

Hamadas knew little of Castle Kyll beyond what King Tedas had told him - that it was a beautiful city, right on the inside of a warm-weather bay, surrounded by cliffs and rolling hills and fields. Certainly, as the cooler climate up north gave way to a warmer southerly climate, and as the blue and gold banners of Clan Kyll replaced the purple and gold Kaes ones further North, he could see what the ageing King had meant.

A large bump in the road woke up Balv from his slumber. The one thing worse than the snoring was the talking. Balv was an old man, growing more senile as time went on. Hamadas did not appreciate the way in which he spoke to people who were not himself - greedy, pompous and losing grip on reality.

"Oh, Naesh, I didn't notice you there," Balv spluttered as he groggily awoke.

"I've been in here for days, Steward," Hamadas replied, trying his best to remain calm and collected.

The Steward paused for a moment, "Oh, yes... Of course. Anyway, how long until we are there?"

Thankfully, the answer was, "Not long. We have entered their territory, and will soon be in Kyll Castle."

"Ah, yes... Alright," Balv seemed to settle down again, though before he could do so fully, he noticed a sight which he had not seen before, "Ah! That's the Northern Tower! We're close, I'm sure of it!"

Naesh looked around. Indeed, there was a tower there. He forgot somewhat that Balv had indeed spent some time around Kyll, being in a closely allied clan, and probably would recognise the towers and roads around there better than the roads of Pelitathi. And indeed, cresting a hill, the carriage came into sight of the massive walls of Clan Kyll, far more utilitarian than those of some other cities nearby.

They approached, and would soon be inside the walls.

Kyll Mausoleum

Hamadas stood in front of the shrine to Zireas Namiroth Kyll. It had not been fully completed yet, the bust still not done, and the etching yet to go in, and was deep underground. He had not been a Clanlord, more was the pity, so he did not get interred in the tall spire of the mausoleum, instead remaining under the ground, in dark and winding halls, away from the sun, with every other Clan member interred here.

His focus was disturbed by the sound of footsteps. They slowed as they came closer to Hamadas. The Banner-Caller looked up – it was a man in monochromatic robes, plain, with little decoration. The man paused, before speaking.

“Apologies, I did not expect anyone else to be here,” He seemed somewhat troubled. It was to be expected, he had just lost a notable family member.

“No, I am at fault, I came here on a whim,” Hamadas looked back at the makeshift shrine, “Did you know him?”

“I think everyone in the realm knew Zireas. He was… Influential. Honourable too. And a great steward. You?”

Hamadas smiled sadly, “Not as well as I’d have liked to. Hamadas Yulekoth Naesh,” he said, holding out a hand. The other man took his forearm in his hand, introducing himself in kind.

“Desas Tedoth Kyll. So you’re the man that Tedas spoke of in his letters?”

Hamadas smiled at the mention of the King, “He wrote of me?”

“Aye, he spoke of you more than once. ‘Most honourable man in the realm’, he said,” Desas’ eyebrows furrowed, “You’re the hero of the Battle of Broken Horns, right? Defeating the Steel Legion led by Horvath?”

Hamadas chuckled softly, “Not many remember that. You’ve done your research,” Hamadas thought back to it, “I simply did my duty. No-one else would have done differently.”

The other man cocked his head, “And yet you have never engaged in any other campaigns there. Why is that name, ‘The Last Great Excursion’, so final?”

Hamadas looked towards the man; his nostalgia had become memory of violence and death. “The Karpacians are good fighters. They did their duty just as I did. The difference is that they paid the price for it. I didn’t. But I knew, if I continued, I would meet the same fate. But they were honourable in defeat, so I could do naught else but be honourable in victory.”

The other man nodded, “Honour, then. Tedas was right.”

Hamadas nodded, “He seemed to be right in many more things than even I gave him credit for,” Hamadas glanced back over to the shrine, “So, a whole clan of people who had all but chosen a Clanlord. Do you know who is running now?”

Desas sighed, “Well, if you are a friend to Clan Kyll, then I see no reason not to tell you that I am.”

Hamadas looked over the man. He seemed decent. Of course, he had been asked by Clan Kyll to come and give an endorsement of some candidate once they had all come forward. This one appeared honourable enough. Perhaps he was to be considered, “Well, it’s no secret that I’m looking for someone honourable and just to give my endorsement. I will consider you, definitely.”

Desas grinned, “Truly? You honour me more than I could have guessed.”

Hamadas gestured for the man to remain quiet. Another worshipper was being led by a Gravekeeper through the area, and he did not want to disturb them, “I make no promises on who I will choose. But I will definitely consider you.”

Desas straightened up, evidently enthused by the Banner-Caller’s words. Hamadas patted him on the shoulder, before speaking, “I should be helping the Steward unpack. I will leave you to your prayers.”

“Thank you, Banner-Caller,” Desas replied. Hamadas turned away and walked back up to the surface, happy to have met a friendly face in this new city.

DESAS TEDOTH KYLL

The Banner-Caller left. Desas was alone in the Mausoleum, save for the odd traveller and worshipper come to see off dead ancestors. Finally, in the shimmering light of the torches, a friendly face. Arantas Tedoth Kyll, Chief Diplomat of the Clan.

“It’s as if the Ancestors really do shine on you here, Arantas,” Desas spoke to his friend.

“Perhaps they really do,” Arantas responded, “How did our Naesh friend take to your introduction?”

“Well. Perhaps he is honourable. There is value in having honourable people around, and certainly in terms of military strategy, he has great experience there,” Desas smiled at the thought, “Thank you for the tip, by the way. I should have realised he’d come straight here.”

“Any time, friend,” Arantas responded, “I just hope you made a good enough impression. If you don’t get the votes, then this whole affair will have been for nothing. It might have been as if we left Zireas ali-“

SHHH!” Desas put his hand over Arantas’ mouth, “We’re not out of the woods yet. If someone finds out, it could end my campaign – not just for King, even for Clanlord.”

Arantas rolled his eyes, “Desas, there is no-one here to listen but the dead.”
Last edited by Rastrian on Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm an ATHEIST COMMUNIST from AUSTRALIA with CELTIC HERITAGE, ASPERGERS and a keen interest in FLAGS.
Pro: Communism, secularism, democracy, communalism, unions, mutual respect of people as humans, science.
Anti: Capitalism, theism's stranglehold on society, dictatorship, enforced respect (SJWs, anti-blasphemy laws etc.), creationism.
I will respect you. If your ideas are stupid, I won't respect those, and don't ask me to.
Fairly poor socialist country, recently revolted against a monarchistic state and with an economy rising slowly.
I am a fan of classical, experimental and indie music.
Will eat Brussels Sprouts, but only raw ones. I cannot abide cooked ones.

The Great Swedish Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Swedish Empire » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:18 am

Lord Charles XII

The snow stuck to Charles as if it was sticky sap. The stone path ahead of him was beginning to turn white. In fact, everything was turning to white. Everything looked as if it had been covered in white paint. The wind bit any exposed part of Charles' skin like flies. Charles wrapped the scarf around his neck a little bit tighter. It was beginning to turn dark. The only source of light was from the lantern that Charles held in his hand and the life guard's torch as well. Two lifeguards rode by his side. They had sworn to protect him and had insisted to come with Charles even though the eternity gate was not too far away. Now here they were, caring not of the paralyzing frost and biting wind.

It seemed that they may never reach their destination and Charles wondered for a moment if they should turn back and return when the weather became better. But, then the snow seemed to fade away. The howling wind turned to nothing and the snow seemed to stop falling. In front of them was a great bastion. One that towered far above them. As high as mountains that on each end with towers that scraped the sky. A great wall stretched from one side of the valley to the next, over a mile long. It's walls made by the hands of the finest craftsmen to ever exist. A thousand banners flew on the wall displaying past regiments entrusted to be the sole guardians of the Kingdom and her people from savages and beasts to the east. In the exact center of the wall was a great gate.

The Eternity Gate.

The great doors of the Gate stood sealed shut at the end of the descending valley, its seventy-meter height reaching up towards the heavens. Forged of tempered steel forged with holy fire. Its outer face was sheathed in gold. The great archway began to weep water from the melted snow painting a thousand shining trickle-rivers down the surface of the metal doors. An image of the first king was etched upon the gate in great leaves of gold: a great embossed mural of the first ever king, Gustavus, striking down the last warlord that refused unification and greatness. Those that refused chance after chance for glory unimagined deserved naught. A long line of words was written at the very top of the gate in a magnificent gold. It read: "In King, Country, and Asigna we trust."

Charles crossed his heart and muttered a prayer to the lord above. No matter how many times he had come he would always be slack-jawed by how magnificent the eternity gate was. A great stone road came from the gate and disappeared far behind Charles and into the snowstorm behind him. The ground was green with grass. Charles took a long breath. It may not have been the great farms or vineyards of the homeland but at least it was still something. Something other than the snowy wastes.

The sky was now dark. Stars littered the clear night like drops of white on a black canvas. A great splash of light mixed in the center of the sky. As if a painter had accidentally spilled his paint all over the canvas. At the very least the frontier would give you views that would never be dreamed of in the homeland.

Most people think that the eternity gate is just a wall. They are wrong. The eternity gate is more like a city. Just on the Stormaktstiden side of the wall was a large town. No trash or filth found on its stone paved roads. Buildings made of stone and wood, not of rotting wood and shit. Smokestacks that rose upwards like a vast forest and warm light came out of every building. The name? Fredriksten, meaning bastion of the east. It housed mostly the families of immigrants or guards of the gate. But was Fredriksten no normal border town; it was a fortress disguised as a town. The long-dead architects of Fredriksten had made no concessions for comfort or fashion. Any attack would be mired in tunnels, switchback roads, hidden garrisons, blockhouse ground floors, overhanging buildings where boiling oil could be poured, walls that could be raised in seconds, select streets made narrow so that one man could hold off a dozen, and stairs that favored right-handed defenders. There were supply depots in the basement of bakeries and houses so that the defenders may hold a siege of years or even decades if it ever came to; Houses with reinforced buttresses and vision slits for windows and roofs so thick with reinforced brick that they were practically invulnerable to anything except the heaviest bombardment.

Charles traveled through the town drawing the ire of a few but little paid any true attention. Most knew Charles. Charles for a moment wondered if he should go for a drink. Not alcoholic of course, a soldier must keep his sense and the lord disliked his children drinking while on duty. He was already late. Maybe another day. A few soldiers of his army passed by. They were on leave. They saw Charles and saluted him as he passed. "Commander Charles!" They hailed.

At last, Charles arrived at one of the smaller gates at the base of a tower. A small wooden box was tucked in between two buttresses. It had windows of iron bars and great ropes that were attached on all four corners. The three dismounted and a lifeguard went ahead of Charles, opening the sliding wooden door for him. The three entered in to find crates of supplies all around them. It seemed they had just made it in time. For a moment they waited. A jolt shook the elevator and made Charles readjust his footing and use one of the crates for support. A loud wooden creaking sound could be heard and they were rising. It took forever and Charles passed the time staring towards the town below. He watched as it's people milled about on the streets. He saw men returning from work. Gaurds coming home to their children's arms. What drew his attention the most was a father playing ball with a child on the street. They looked like they were having fun. Fun that Charles could never have.

They reached the top. A sliding door on the opposite side opened and a grinning man stood at the other end. He was broad and bull-necked, with white close-shaven hair. His eyes were hard and intense. He wore a great steel chest plate, his blue uniform under, and a greatsword swung by his hips. His hands played on it, itching for action. Charles hailed the man. "You called for me?" Charles asked.

"You arrived just in time. By men are bringing the batch in." The captain said in a gravely voice. There was a long scar on his neck. Long healed but it's effect still there.

"How many?" Charles walked out of the elevator as men began to empty it. His guards flanked him. Charles leaned over the battlements. In the dark, there was the light of a thousand fires and a thousand more makeshifts tents bellow him. Ants to him.

"About five hundred." The captain leaned over with Charles. His sword clanking as he walked.

"They grow in number every day. They grow in danger every day."

"There's also been an incident." The voice was exhausted. It clearly needed wine and a whore. The captain now turned and leaned against the buttress with his back. His hands wrangling with each other.

"Another one? What happened?"

"Apparently a group was none too happy that they did not meet the requirements to gain the honor of passing through the gate. They attacked a group of my men on patrol."

"Deaths?"

"None on our side. Though Jaime will have to live with only one eye. Three dead on their side."

"The others?"

"Found the agitators. Executed them as usual. Set an example to the others. But it's starting to lose its effect. They grow bolder every day."

"Why are we afraid? They cannot breach the wall. Men in my camp are telling me we should just send them off. Send them packing east once more."

"I doubt they would be happy to return to a land where each has a death sentence. As for breaching the walls? They are now about thirty thousand. At this rate, in a week it shall be sixty. Scouts are telling me that the woods at the end of the valley are being harvested. There are rumors that siege weapons are being prepared."

Charles scoffed, "I would like to see them try."

"Even the best fortification and men shall hold naught to numbers. Everyday food and supplies for them fade. It hardly helps that more come every day. They will grow desperate. Even bravery and honor hold nothing to desperation."

"We can manage the current numbers but we cannot afford anymore. My father grows more displeased every day."

The captain chortled. "Your father? Your father? That bastard. He knows naught of the reality of war and... well... reality in general."

"Heed your words with caution, Captain. I may agree with you but the King has spies all over. He tolerates insults like a stagelk tolerates a beast upon her young brood."

"I shall. When hell freezes over." The captain was about to continue when there was a loud commotion at the other end of the section of the wall. A man was running towards them. One of the lifeguard's hand dropped to her sword. Charles ordered, "Easy!"

The man running towards them halted just before Charles. For a moment he was panting with hands on knees, the next he was up straight and hailed Charles with a salute. "Message from the king!" he said. The entire group turned silent. A nearby soldier with nothing to do suddenly turned very pale.

"What message?" Charles demanded.

"The king says, "I grow more displeased every passing day. Charles, you bear my name and I expect more of my name bearer. You are to solve this refugee crisis before the harvest is done. If not, I shall order decimations of your beloved first Armée". The message came by raven just your left. I had to race you through the storm."

"The harvest is in two weeks. I cannot clear them out peacefully in that time period if more keep coming." The captain said. Charles was silent, his mind racing. At last, he spoke, "Send a message to the Wyrnetyr's forces. They should just be down the valley and a little more. Tell them that I demand a meeting."

The messenger looked a bit shocked. More riding. "If they refuse?"

"Then tell them that refusing a meeting with me shall have its consequences."
Last edited by The Great Swedish Empire on Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stuff. Just stuff.

Sarderistan
Envoy

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderistan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:52 am

Collaborative post between The Vekta-Helghast Empire and Sarderistan (Part: Courthouse of the Crescent)

"In Asigna's presence one shall arrive,

To hin honours would not be given, and despised,

He shall usurp a realm's throne by deceit,

And it shall be thrown into the abyss of chaos.

Holiest is the word of the Lord."

- The Book of Asigna

Courthouse of the Crescent

The Sultan gave a slight smile at King Edmon's first compliment. "Your Majesty is too kind. We are just trying to do the best for our guests, that is." He took a sip of the sweet Thariqian wine before Edmon continued. He flinced but for a second at the mention of his children, but returned the expression as normal, so Edmon would not realize it. "Ah, yes. My son and daughter," he took another sip of wine. "They would certainly be eager to take a good conversation with you, but it is a matter for next, don't you think? After all, the discussion of two monarchs about the well-being of their realms is paramount, I would consider." He put an emphasis on the word, as to warn Edmon not to listen in any of his children's further plotting, should they met. "I take it conditions has been nothing but well in Aratas..."

The young King couldn't help but smile as the Sultan responded, noting that his compliment had clearly gone down well was always a bonus. He nodded along as the Sultan continued, speaking briefly of his children before moving on to more serious matter, "But of course, I just thought I'd mention them in fleeting." He paused briefly as the Sultan questioned the situation in Aratas, before finally offering a gentle response, "Things are about as well as you could expect. I'm new to the Throne, and as you can imagine - people are still trying to work out how far they can push me before I put my foot down. Prodding for weakness, but I believe all is as well as could be. Aratas' always been plagued with issues, but I won't see them taint my rule, as they have others. What of Murabad? I must admit - I'm almost entirely unfamiliar with the goings-ons of your realm." He chuckled softly.

The Sultan cupped his hands, listening intently for King Edmon. "Strong hands made for a safe realm," he said. "That is good to know your realm is well." He smiled slightly at the young king. "Murabad is throughly well, your Majesty." He thought a bit before continuing. "Though, there is several minor issues at hand." Lady Fatima and my daughter. And my bloody knave of a son. "Given the history, there might be several... complications."

Edmon answered. "Well, better minor issues than major ones, I do suppose. No nation is without flaw or difficulty. Though, if I can be assistance in resolving any of your issues - you need only say. I'll do what I can to alleviate whatever problems you must endure." He too, took pause for thought - running a hand through his hair and brushing it off to one side, "If you don't mind me asking, what kind of complications do you speak of?"

Jafar paused for a moment, studying the King before continuing. "Are you a faithful person, your Majesty?"

"It depends on what you mean by faithful - I try not to betray anyone's trust, if that's what you mean. Alternatively I've never had a woman to be unfaithful to, if that's what you mean." The young King offered a gentle smile, clearly trying to be sensitive towards the Sultan. Jafar let out a good, heartily laugh. "No, your Majesty, I did not meant by that," he responded. He noticed the smile King Edmon was offering. "On divine matters, I mean. To Asigna almighty."

The King chuckled alongside Jafar, upon realising his mistake, "Ah - my apologies. I was clearly thinking far too into it. I suppose I am, your Majesty. In Aratas we do not have a High Priest, instead I serve as the head of the Church. In our faith - all Monarchs wear their crowns by the good grace of our lord, Asigna. The King does not answer to the church, nor to men - he answers only to the almighty and thus must serve as Asigna's representative in their given realm."

"Here in Murabad we have our own authority - the Patriarch," the Sultan responded. "Though relations between the Crown and the Faith are often tense, we can manage it as much to keep zealots at bay." He took a sip of the sweet wine, washing away the desert. "Though this is not what I have in mind, of course. Every realm has its own band of radicals." He gave a slight smile. "Your Majesty is clearly a distinguished scholar at the faith," he started. "Do tell me, what is the divine punishment to striking one's own sire?" He gave the King a serious look for a second, implying him about the tense matters at hand. The expression lasted only a moment, but it sufficed enough for the King to know what he meant.

The King sat back in his chair, relaxing significantly as the conversation progressed and he realised there was little to worry about on his own end, "Well that very much depends. In Aratas it depends on the intent, if I'm sparring and I'm struck my whomever I'm with, that's fine - forgive and forget. If you mean for example, in a fit of rage, a vassal were to swing a fist and hit me. Again, it would depend - as God's representative, I'd be conflicted by the aspects of forgiveness and by the weight of their sin. For a Vassal in that instance, I'd invoke a fine and demand penance, have them build a church or something. But if it were more serious-.."

He paused for a moment, pondering his next words, "-Say, if someone were to attempt to kill me and commit regicide. Under the faith in Aratas, that would be like striking Asigna himself. Afterall, in our faith - Kings are only Kings because God wills them to be. They are God's chosen, and to act against them is to act against God. Usually regicide or attempted regicide is punishable by death. In some cases, we'd even invoke religious executions such as burning at the stake or death by torment." The words appeared heavy, as if the young King didn't enjoy saying them. "Things I hope I'll never have to issue. Asigna willing."

Clever enough and more than bold. Perhaps he would make a good alliance indeed, the Sultan thought. "A good point, your Majesty. One I would take to consider." The Sultan considered his next words. " 'What's a King to a God?' they said. But even Gods are vulnerable. There is always the daggers in the dark, poisons in the jar, and coins behind the back."

"It's a shame how ingrained deceit and intrigue have become in our societies, that such phrases are necessary. That we need almost always worry about the actions of those around us, for fear that they may be against us. I'm fortunate thus far, that I've not had to encounter such treachery as of yet. But I have no doubt that at some point, I'll have to play their game. Though, I do hope it's when I'm much older and far wiser." He chuckled softly once again, shaking his head, "But alas, with brave and loyal men at our backs - such plots can never hope to succeed."

Noticing the change of subject, the Sultan decided to play it along. After all, he did not wish to provide further insights to the problems his House had. "One can never be sure when do we enter such games," he gave a slight smile. "If there is one thing I can advise you, your Majesty; bravery is none but a mummer's farce, and loyalty's end is the clink of a coin." He sipped the sweet wine again, this time emptying the cup. A servant moved with a flagon in hand, ready to fill. "Half of it only," he told the servant. It would do to keep my mind sober.

Returning to the conversation, he stared deeply to the King's eyes in a moment, not so long but not so while also. "Forgive me. Not to offend you, your Majesty, but you are but a year on your throne," he said, expressing a sad look on his face, like it is something he would not like to say. "If you would need more proof," he continued, "Look at the history. Why do you think I get to wear this?" He pointed at the black turban of the Sultan, a sign of authority over Murabad. A hint of smile touched the edge of his lips, nearly curved, but it stops at the edge. Not enough to be noticed, of course. Deep inside, he always savored one's look of knowing, understanding that they would think twice before crossing him. None would question, and none would step, he'd like to think.

The King's shift of subject was only partially intentional, knowing that prodding further could be perceived as rude, but also wishing to provide the opportunity for the Sultan to continue of his own voilition. Fortunately, the Sultan too decided to change subject, bringing him a great deal of relief, "Some bonds cannot be so easily broken." The young king would speak matter-of-factly, before continuing on, "Though I'll concede that most can be bought - there are a fortunate few, who cannot."

He again paused, taking a very slight sip of his own wine, offering a glance to his bodyguard, as if his statement had been directed towards them in particular, he only paid the Guard attention for a brief moment before looking back to the Sultan, "I'm afraid I don't know much of your history, your Majesty. I presume based on our conversation so far, it involves a lot of coin." He chuckled gently for a moment, "I do know, however - my own history. And that Aratas was forged with blood and steel. Fortunately for my family, we were much better at spilling the prior and far better at forging the latter than anyone else who tried to take our birth-right." Again he chuckled, trying his best to keep the conversation jovial, despite its serious nature. "Or maybe we just had better men to do it for us." He concluded.

The Sultan first brought the discussion into a matter of philosophy, but the King seemed eager to pry into his own history as now. He would keep the conversation in thin line - not to provide the details, but to give the King a glance of what can be done to gain power.

Jafar chuckled in response, cooling down the tense matter but still maintaining a high degree of seriousness beneath the smiles and laughs. "If you want to take a look in Murabad," he responded, "Well, the good steel is copper. The better is silver, and best of all gold." He offered a little laugh, the joke had been as good as any to describe his own homeland, at least. "We Rashidis prefer to fight our own battles, and sort the matter of steel in the while. It is why you would often see our galleys dock in Aratas' port the most. Blood and gold are two sides of the same coin; the two balances of power. Too much on the one side and the commons would revolt, indulge them on the other and they will soon forget where the authority is." This time, he took the dates instead. He'd always have a taste of sweet delights. Wine most of all. But he'd drank too much of the vile liquid already, and he liked to keep his wits around in times like this. "Mercenaries fights for gold, armies for loyalty, and knights for glory," Jafar started. "One can give them all three. They would learn to stay in obedience, since then. Those who would not sway, however," he paused for a brief moment, "We know the next." He would suggest that I cannot gain the loyalty of his guards. I would rather have the throats slit.

The King offered another chuckle alongside the Sultan's, "Well, I'd be naive to say that they weren't powerful in their own right - a lot of gold, silver and copper can make a huge difference. I think everyone would rather be the one to have the Gold, than to be the one without it." He simply nodded in agreement as Jafar went on to speak of the balance of power and make his analogy about the two sides of the coin, showing his agreement. All the while taking up a grape and indulging himself a little bit more. "I'd say you described the things people fight for better than anyone I know." Again, offering up a smile, "The subject has taken a most serious turn I believe, for such a joyous occassion. Not that I'm complaining, some rich and meaningful discussion is important for keeping the mind sharp. And it can be most engaging." He took a moment to peer around the hall at the rest of the guests, before looking back to the Sultan, "My sister would love it here today. She's all about socialising and organising events - it's where she's in her element. Loves people like no other." He chuckled softly, clearly not wishing to engage the Sultan in any war-of-words.

When in stalemate, retreat is always the best option, Jafar thought. "Ah, I see, your Majesty. Clearly we wish that your sister could be here in the festivities. Alas, duty calls, it seems." One of his servants whispered something, and he slowly rose up from the ornate seat, offering a warm smile at the King. "You must forgive me, your Majesty. Duty also took its toll on me. As the festivities go - I bid you to make Sultanabad your home."

"Understandable your Majesty - do enjoy your evening. I hope your rest is well, and that Asigna watches over you." Edmon’s words were genuine, and he gave a humble bow to the Sultan as he departed, before he too arose and went about mingling with the other guests.

As Jafar left, he told the servant quietly. "Keep an eye on the King. You and the others are to be my eyes and ears. I want every information about him and his matters known; I want you to be there when his letters are read, when his guards and servants and thralls are about him, when he went for a stroll or a hunt or whatever it is - Asigna be damned - even in his privy; I want you all to be the ghost. There are many about secret tunnels and hollowed walls and floors. Be a bird, a rat in the darkness. A scorpion's bit is but an ant's," Jafar ended in the ancient dialect of Naghabad.

"But its sting can end a dragon."

Royal Palace

Jafar entered the council chambers with a hot air over him, partially because the Courthouse’s damp and partially because of his guest. His advisors worked closely behind, with the Grand Vizier nearly at his side. Only the Lord Admiral was not present. They had been weary from the feast, every one, save for Galenos the Spymaster who had stood in the same place all over the festivities, while his birds was scurrying around listening and reporting everything to the man. Two of his guards opened the council chamber’s spruce doors, revealing a damp, hearth-lit room inside, with an ornate table and several chairs around it. The room was dark. He took a seat in the table’s end as his advisers took the others, convening again for the second time in the day. He took the Sultan’s black turban, leaving his head plain and bare, with only a stretch of hair about it. The guards closed the spruce doors, standing outside.

He started the discussion. “Lord Galenos, if you may.” The Spymaster rose from his seat. “There has been a particularly intriguing news. Our partners in the Society has uncovered what we believed is a cache of ancient artifacts, hidden under an ancient temple near Thariqiyya.” The Grand Vizier squinted at the mention of his lands, clearly did not expecting this. Galenos had chosen to report into the council directly, instead of informing him first. Jafar answered first, he would not risk any tension and war-of-words while he just survived debating pointlessly with King Edmon. “Perchance you might give us the insights about this, Lord Spymaster?”

“Our acquintances have uncovered several statues of Asigna, though the Lord Patriarch might not want to hear about this.” A Statue of Asigna is considered heresy in many parts of Murabad, mainly because the version of Asignism revere God’s image as something sacred. “Ceremonial plates and other items of value is also found, but the Society believed that a particular golden chalice is the most valuable of all. There was an inscription on it, some form of old speech, nothing our stewards couldn’t handle. Some, particularly the knights, believed that the chalice might have supernatural properties.”

The chamber burst, some in question and others in laughter. Sa’id al-Thamir, the Lawmaster harrumphed and snorted, his nose humming very loudly. “What is this now? Would you like us to be the gallant charming knight, with a honourable quest for some magic grail or sword? Ha. This is not Aratas or Arcanus or Aragos, my Lord Spymaster. We do not indulge in such myths about magical things, nor do we bask ourselves in petty honour.” Lord Thamir chuckled before calming himseld, letting Galenos to respond. “Ah, but that would not where I am putting the importance, my lord. What most failed to realize, is that the chalice may hold a key for another larger hoard, of one that could be used to further our treasury, if it is found, of course...”

The Lawmaster kept his stern expression, clearly not pleased by the answer. “A fool’s errand, I say. It would do to keep the chalice and not spend a pint of coin into this... expedition. Though members of your Society might be curious enough to do it-” The Grand Vizier interrupted. “It is important for such matters to be further researched and reviewed, and I do know,” the Vizier shot Galenos a venomous glare, “that your incentives to find this artifact has gone unnoticed. Until further news, if any, I suggest we leave the matter of this treasure hoard to myself, and Thariqiyya.” Jafar stroked his beard, pondering his thoughts on the request. “Much sensible. Grand Vizier, you will be charged with this responsibility, and you will make sure no knowledge pass our gaze on this,” he said finally. Jafar glanced a look at the Lord Spymaster, who merely bowed his head and sat down, with a calm and unreadable expression.

“Very well. This council will be informed regarding anything about the treasure errand,” he paused, “and of Aratas. Have your people about the palace, my lords. The council shall be omniscient.” By now they must have grasped the meaning. “The King shan’t be here any longer, as he will continue his journey tomorrow. Lord Steward Massoud and I will see to it.” Massoud only nodded in response. “The session is adjourned, my lords. Empty the chamber.” Jafar’s guard opened the spruce doors as his advisers walked outside, with him and the Grand Vizier at the back.

“The bastard bypassed my authority,” his friend said. Jafar chuckled in response. “What else would you expect of spies? They are all spiders, spinning their web everywhere and listening to us even in our dreams.”

“Well, I suppose the next would be throwing my lot of traitors to the lion cages,” Isoras Harkad said. “Aye. They hadn’t a good meal for some time,” Jafar answered. “Though I must admit, Galenos’ tales had intrigued me for once.”

Isoras looked startled. “You would not believe such things, of course.”

“No, my lord, but I believe in coin, and hidden opportunities. You are a glorified merchant one, as I was. Send a dispatch for this, I insist. I thought about your children...” Jafar sorted his turban once more.

“My daughter was in the Society,” Isoras stroked his beard. “As I do. She is my heir, after all. Yes, I think about it also. She will serve.” His Vizier paused. “How about your own, though? Your son?

Jafar flinched at that. “I do not give a single damn. Though, someone needs to keep that boy’s temper and machinations in check. I would not have a Rashid stroll around and giving orders like those are of my own words.” He pondered for a moment. “My son is violent, that I would say. He was also a brilliant, and I would certainly not have him scheming and poisoning my daughter’s mind with talk to slit my throat. Perhaps if I could send him away...”

“The King would leave soon, you know,” Isoras said.

They came into halt in front of the throneroom. The doors was opened, and the sight of a golden-gilded throne was upon them. “Aye, that would be a good suggestion. He would go escorting King Edmon to our borders, and Asigna knows if he’d, perchance, meet the Society and your daughter. Might be she could beat my son to submission... although loyalty to us and uncovering the artifacts is paramount, of course.”

The Grand Vizier gave him a slight bow before leaving. “Asigna bless us and your plans.”

_[' ]_
(-_Q)

If you support capitalism, put this in your signature.
"God promises to make something good out of the storms that bring devastation to your life."
- Romans 2:18

A proud Conservative. I like Trump even though I'm not American.

Sraelyn
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 02, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sraelyn » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Aelor Rhaenuhr
Western Wyrnetyr

There were very few things in the world that could make Aelor feel this way. Cold Wind blowing away at his hair and tunic, slightly biting into his exposed face. The otherwise deep green and brown of the valley painted with gold from the setting sun, shyly peaking at them from the white mountaintops to the west. The sound of nothingness but of air rapidly and continuously passing through as if it were a stream. The smell of the untamed skies, pure and cold as the snow that covered it all each winter. It was here, among the brown, and gold, and white, and green, and cold, and nothingness, and all, in the farthest place from the Eastern shore that he had ever been, soaring the skies atop his Aderyn mount as fast and as high as he could. It was here that for a moment, just a few seconds, the Kin, the campaign, and the rest of the world stopped being of importance, pushed away to the farthest reaches of the mind by the rush that it gave him.

The rest of the world however, had the incessant necessity of pushing itself to the forefront at every single opportunity. It was when Aelor saw, in the corner of his vision, that his gloved hand holding the reins was covered in crimson red, that the fantasy came crashing down. With a simple hand motion he signaled the two Reidiwr on his sides, and initiated the descent into the valley below.

The landing, just outside the gates of the settlement, was quite soft, be it from the mud or the corpses laying around. The stench was of death, dirt and iron, and the sounds were that of the dying, the soldiers marching, of the people being removed from their houses. Back in the mortal world there was much to be done.

Aelor slowly rode towards the largest structure there, maneuvering between the columns of soldiers and tribesmen, until reaching the wide, wooden building. He calmly dismounted the large bird and handed the reins of it to one of the reidiwr that accompanied him, before going through the large double doors.

What once could have been the seat of the leader of this tribe, with it’s table filled hall, large furs laying around, and wide range of weapons, was now being thrashed and occupied by Wyrne forces. Walking along the center of the hall were the men he was looking for.

“Take the dying and mangled to the center of the village, the Red Carver is awaiting to begin the ceremony. Women, children, and everyone else fit for work are to be taken to the northern side of the encampment, how they will be distributed will be decided later. I want scouts heading out first thing in the morning, this place should've had a few thousand more Arall than what we found, and I want to know where they are. You can continue searching the place for anything else of value, but clean it up a bit once you’re done, we will be spending the night here.” Ordered Prince Eurig Marthen to one of his men, who promptly nodded and scurried away. In addition to being Aelor's uncle and mentor, Eurig had been selected to take charge of this campaign as one of the most experienced commanders in the Dominion.

“How much longer is he going to take? That fucker has been doing the same thing since we were children, always flying the away when...” Before he could finish the sentence, Prince Delwin Nyth was interrupted by Aelor’s hand smacking the back of his head as he approached the two men.

“That fucker is right here. And you’re just jealous because you could never fly.”

“One would have thought you’d have learned by now. Want me to beat you again like when we were children?” Delwin was perhaps the greatest single fighter in the realm and could possibly be the best of the reidiwr as well if he wasn’t deathly afraid of heights. He was also Aelor’s oldest friend, having spent much of their childhood together at Kairgwyn.

“Enough. Now come here.” The large general motioned with opened arms and gave the newly arrived a warm hug and then grabbed him firmly by the shoulders. “You did well today boy, I knew you would make a fine captain of the reidiwr. You too Delwin, your left flank performed admirably.” The middle aged man smiled genuinely and softly for a moment, before he straightened up and his usual Serious expression returned to his face. “Now get moving, the Carvers are expecting us to start the ceremony.” With that said, he exited the building with the other two behind him, and were joined by a retinue of soldiers to escort them to the center of the settlement.

The valley they were on was one of the last two remaining holdouts that the Arall still had. The last few remaining tribes in this area had decided to band together and made their last stand in this large fortified village. This had been a conflict that, in one way or another, had been intermittently going on for more than 400 years, ever since the One True Prince Rhys disembarked with his men. For 400 years the Arall tribes had tried to force them back into the sea, they tried to deny the promised land to the Wyrne and continuously refused to submit to the Dominion. And now, after 400 years, only one valley remained under the control of the Arall tribes, Strathclyde, where they would surely soon march towards. Total victory was in the horizon.

The walk to their destination was a quiet one, the streets of the settlement were just now becoming less frantic. A good few hours had gone by since the battle was won, and although the fighting inside the village itself was minimal in comparison with the fields outside, quite a few things had to be done ahead of the ensuing occupation. Among this things were the removal of the remaining Arall from the village, setting up the camp for the soldiers, and performing the Ceremony of Return.

At the center of the village, in the large opening that once could’ve been a market, were the wooden poles. There were hundred or more of them, all arranged in close proximity to each other, each had a wooden basin at it’s base, and a person tied upside down to the pole itself. Surrounding the spectacle was every single high ranking person in the army that took part in the battle that day, as well as every Kin and Grand Kin member, two dozen mounted reidiwr, and ten or more large drums. Aside from the protests or crying of those tied up, everyone else gathered there remained completely silent, expectantly awaiting for the ceremony to begin. From the South approached the poles a group of ten men, all dressed in long maroon tunics, and all carrying short blades that greatly curved forward, somewhat akin to sickles. The Red Carvers had arrived.

The drums started playing in a soft but continuous manner, as the man leading the procession stopped next to the pole at the front, where the enemy chief was.

“Men of Wyrne, children of Rhys, chosen of the Ceisiwr, you are to be commended for your great displays of boldness and might today. Rejoice at your decisive, glorious, and rightful victory over the heretical Arall that deny the truth of our words and the legitimacy of our claims! This men were given the chance to surrender, to peacefully become free men of the benevolent Dominion if they accepted our authority, yet they refused. With hubris and violence they spit on our faces and chose to do battle against us like they have for many ages, yet we prevailed. By the sacred Gwaed that was gifted to us by Cysguduw we were victorious once more!” The crowd cheered as the drums became louder.

“Ceisiwr that are above us, you have lended the One True Prince your voice and visions, you that seek to awaken Cysguduw and watch over the creation in it’s absense.” The droning of the drums became even faster and harder, swallowing all other noises except for the now almost screening Carver. “You that have granted us strength and wisdom in past and present, we offer you this Gwaed so you may pursue your sacred task and gracefully continue to guide us and protect us!” Harder and faster they went as they were joined by the chorus of screeching Aderyn. Their beastly cacophony of the mounts were like the high pitched scream of a woman being violently murdered.

“Please allow us to take from this holy Gwaed so it may enhance our own and accept this offering and let it be returned to the Slumbering One!” In unison all of the Carvers placed their blades to the throat of the men tied, slashing them in a swift motion before moving to another pole and repeating the process. The drums and screeching and gargles and cheers and crying and screaming and streams of red liquid completely inundating the place.

From the pool of blood forming in the basin, the head Carver filled a large, beautiful, ornamented silver goblet, and approached the Princes and Aelor who all drank from it in turn. The remaining Red Carvers continued with the rest of the poles, before filling goblets of their own and offering it to the rest of the soldiers.

Drinking from the blood of an enemy, and absorbing the Gwaed, the essence of men that run in the blood, was one of the ways one could enhance it’s own. The source of the blood determined it’s value, the strongest warriors and enemy leaders being the best one, and being given first to Grand Kin and Kin members. Once their blood was taken and ingested, the blood from less desirable sources was to be gathered from the basins and placed in large cauldrons. These were to be placed over fires and until they contained only charred remains in their interior, and the bodies of all other enemies already dead before the ceremony were gathered and burned in large pyres outside. The fire would cleanse their Gwaed and allow it to reach the Ceisiwr.

By the end of the ceremony the sun had already gone down, and a feast would be prepared in honor of their victory as was customary. Following the army were caravans of traders and workers that would provide for the encamping soldiers. After all, a recently paid soldier after a battle was one of the best possible customers. Mead, food and women were brought in for the army so satisfy it’s needs, that into the late hours of the night they continued celebrating with song, laughter and drunken stupor as they knew that they would be marching once again shortly.

“…and then the bastard starts crawling towards us, reeking of piss, crying for us to stop beating him, and claims he simply fell on top of her with his dick out!” Eurig and Aelor roared with laughter as Delwin finished his story. “Son of a whore was fucking the sheep we were going to eat that night! I’m telling you, the stories of sheep-fuckers in Dyserth territory are true.” The laughter continued for a few moments before the three men settled down once again beside the burning hearth in the hall. Delwin downed his drink and stood up, flashing a drunken smile. “All this talk got me frisky and I have a couple of wenches warming up my bed already, so I’ll be taking my leave.”
“Will you ever stop your whoring and settle down boy? You’re a Prince now after all.” Inquired the General before taking a large drink from his cup.

“Oh the maidens of the realm would weep if such a day came. Besides, I’m celebrating today, I have one more valley than I did this morning.” Without further ado the fighter picked up a jar of mead and walked out of the building tumbling slightly.
It was true that this area was about to be granted to the Prince, Grand Kin Nyth already controlled the neighboring territory, were one of the major suppliers of soldiers in this campaign, and doing so would not alter much the existing balance of power between the other Princes. In turn, they would have to safeguard and develop the region, which would border their new neighbor to the West. If conflict ever broke out with Stormaktstiden, the Nyth would bear the brunt of it.

“It’s good to have you campaigning with me again boy, and I’m proud of you. You’re a proper Marthen in everything but name, just like your Ma and me. Pity your brother was born from a Cymaron womb, he is too much like them for me.”

“Could we please not speak about him? I already had enough of that growing up.”

“ Yes, yes, I’m sorry. How’s your fa-“ The double doors of the hall swung open and a guard rushed inside.

“Your Highness, my Prince, I’m sorry to disturb you. A messenger has arrived from Stormaktstiden.”
“I don’t suppose that he is here to congratulate us on our victory.”

“No he’s not my Prince. He claims to carry a message from a Lord Charles the twelfth, who requests a meeting. It seems to concern the large amount of Arall crossing into their territory.”

“A meeting. Then I suggest you get some rest Aelor. You’ll be taking a contingent of reidiwr while the rest of the army marches North towards Strathclyde. Let’s see what this Lord Charles wants."
Last edited by Sraelyn on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That God's name is Abraxas

Krugmar
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krugmar » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Nekhur
Twenty-Second Dynasty

Palace of Kinéladan
Eatar, Nekhur

Deep down on the ground below, past the thousand steps leading up Kinéladan's Ziggurat, eunuchs and servants scurried across the grounds. Their work was never finished, ever needed, and in the case of the eunuchs regrettably necessary. Istalkian found them uncomfortable to be around, their perfume masking the foul stench of unquenchable ambition, their silken robes their scaled hides and their lipped smiles hiding the fangs beneath.

A hand grasped his waist in a tender spot causing him to jolt suddenly. A soft and familiar laugh relaxed his alert muscles. "It is unwise to surprise a trained warrior, Princess." He said as sternly as he could muster.

Azziya laughed gently, "Unwise, but perhaps not unpleasant. Save your anger and... training, for the eunuchs cousin. It would be a terrible thing if you waged war against the wrong faction at court."

Istalkian gave her a playful look, "I had not realised that the court was so simple, that men, women and eunuchs should be the only sides I must consort with."

"Oh my dear Istalkian, you should leave wit to the eunuchs." She replied, "They and we women are capable of organising ourselves into blocs, but you men all see yourselves as Samudu. Put you in a room together and you will tear yourselves apart until only one is left, if that."

Istalkian lightly shook his head, "You have it wrong, though I know you only tease me. You share my hatred for the eunuchs, vile things that they are."

"They are indeed vile, my Lord Istalkian." Chimed in a new voice, that of the Ati. Panic spread momentarily through Istalkian's body, he had not been expecting such lofty and dangerous company. "I would banish them from this city in an instant, were I not sure they would flee to the sewers and breed like rats."

"I am not sure they are physically capable of that, Lord Mnesus." Said the princess, smiling at the Ati, though her eyes did not match. She was not as much a fool as others made her out to be, Istalkian thought, though who in Eatar truly did not fear the Ati?

Mnesus smirked, it was cold and only further put Istalkian and Azziya at unease. "Within weeks all the orphan boys of Eatar would be missing. The eunuchs know how to reproduce, your Highness, it is a cruel and parasitic method, but it produces a being truly remarkable and dangerous." He said, eyeing Istalkian up and down as he did. Istalkian knew why eunuchs were dangerous, their propensity towards coups and regimes was well known, but he could not shake the idea that men like Mnesus were worse. The Tyrians had after all established a hereditary regime, whereas one substantiated by eunuchs would, with luck, die out within a generation.

"You did not come to find us just to talk with us about eunuchs I hope? I would not wish to waste the Ati's time with such trivial matters." Istalkian replied, hoping that for once he could gain a straightforward answer from the notoriously evasive Ati.

"Of course not, I wished to bring you news that your beloved father shall be returning in three days hence." Mnesus replied, stunning Istalkian with the brevity of his answer. "I am afraid I have no such news for you, Princess, but I do believe I heard one of your sisters calling for you as I made my way here, alas I am not sure which."

Azziya rolled her eyes and marched off towards the western wing of the palace. Istalkian watched her storm away and felt the pang of several emotions in his chest, regret and relief vying for dominance. They soon faded as he realised Mnesus was still staring at him, his icy smile held in place and pale eyes staring deep into his soul. Were all Tyrians so terrifying?

"I think it unwise to speak so openly with disdain about the eunuchs." Said Mnesus, his hushed breath an unpleasant breeze on Istalkian's neck. "They are easy to make enemies, but harder to dispose of. They are like unruly children and will not hesitate to destroy anyone in their way, even if they have to provoke the dreaded Mantiya's wrath." He continued, his smile widening as Istalkian's unease grew.

Istalkian nodded, dumbstruck by the Ati's words. Never before had they shared a conversation that extended beyond mere pleasantries. The Ati had been a fixture at the palace, but one inaccessible by lesser courtiers such as Istalkian. It had not been until today that Istalkians realised why so many officials talked in hushed tones, why they looked to the ground when speaking to the Ati, why even his own father bowed his head when greeting Mnesus, a man he despised to the core.

The Ati leaned in again, "But do not worry, they fear me and do not dare touch those I cast under my wing. You have grown into a strong and capable warrior, Lord Istalkian, and I would hate for the eunuchs or others to deprive Nekhur of such a competent commander in these trying times. I think a few new opportunities may open up for you soon and..." He said, making sure to look behind his back, "I am sure, if you would like, I could create some more private meetings with Princess Azziya. You do after all have much in common, and she would make you a fine... ally." He said. Istalkian knew that his words were venom, that all he offered could quickly be taken away or used against him. Yet he also knew the Ati needed him. Sadyhattes had no male heir of his line, meaning Istalkian was the future. Mnesus meant to sideline the two eldest princesses, both wilful, and pair him with the third. Smart, but a miscalculation. Together Istalkian and Azziya could free Nekhur of the Tyrian oppression.

Istalkian copied the Ati's movements, "I think such an arrangement could prove beneficial, my Lord." He said, returning the smile and bowing his head slightly. He walked away, a new confidence brewing inside. The Ati was a man like the eunuchs, without royalty or proper bearing. He would be brought to heel.

Mnesus watched the princeling strut away, assured of his victory and already putting on the airs of a future Tyrant. Mantiya had raised a warrior, but the court was the only battlefield that mattered, and it was one Istalkian was woefully unprepared for. Brother against brother, nephew against uncle, the final days of the Twenty-Second were to be as exciting as their founding, but far more brief.
Liec made me tell you to consider Kylaris

Previous

Return to Portal to the Multiverse