NATION

PASSWORD

Judge Orders records of Smollett investigation unsealed

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Judge Orders records of Smollett investigation unsealed

Postby Aclion » Thu May 23, 2019 4:17 pm

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-met-jussie-smollett-sealed-court-records-20190523-story.html

Cook County judge Thursday ordered the case file in the aborted prosecution of “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett unsealed, marking a victory for the Chicago Tribune and other news organizations and adding another twist to a case with seemingly no end to controversy.

After news organizations sought to unseal the records, Smollett’s legal team opposed the request, citing the actor’s privacy rights.

But Circuit Judge Steven Watkins held that those privacy rights had been trumped by Smollett and his attorneys going before the cameras to declare his innocence.

“These are not the actions of a person seeking to maintain his privacy or simply be let alone,” Watkins said in a 10-page ruling that he read aloud in court. “While the court appreciates that (Smollett) was in the public eye before the events that precipitated this case, it was not necessary for him to address this so publicly and to such an extent. By doing so, the court cannot credit his privacy interest as good cause to keep the case records sealed.”

After the ruling came down, reporters waited for several hours in the circuit court clerk’s office — which maintains the criminal records — for the documents in the case to be scanned. In the end, however, little new was revealed — not surprising since Foxx’s office had abruptly dropped the 16-count indictment against Smollett just less than three weeks after he was charged. In fact, the majority of the 192-page file consisted of the media’s motions objecting to the sealing of the file in the first place.

But the judge’s ruling still could have a significant impact. The Chicago Police Department and the Cook County state’s attorney’s office had both denied public records requests on the grounds that the file was sealed. After the seal was lifted, Foxx’s office said it was reviewing its records and expected to release more documents by June 3.

What does NS think of this? I'm pretty glad to see it. The treatment of the Smollett case was a classic example of our two tier justice system that protects the politically connected.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu May 23, 2019 4:44 pm

If anything, at least we’ll have more information on the case and what exactly happened.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu May 23, 2019 5:05 pm

All of this could have been avoided if Jussie just came clean and admitted he made it up, apologized for wasting police resources and made restitution. Instead he is now pretty much universally reviled and is being sued out his ass.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Thu May 23, 2019 5:11 pm

How many fucking times does he have to screw himself over before he shuts his idiot mouth? He ran his mouth about the fake attack and drew skepticism, he ran his mouth about his co-conspirators being real racist homophobes and got sued, and he ran his mouth about getting off and convinced the judge to open his records. For fucks sake just stop talking.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Des-Bal wrote:How many fucking times does he have to screw himself over before he shuts his idiot mouth? He ran his mouth about the fake attack and drew skepticism, he ran his mouth about his co-conspirators being real racist homophobes and got sued, and he ran his mouth about getting off and convinced the judge to open his records. For fucks sake just stop talking.

He staged a fake race crime with two Nigerians. I don't think he's smart enough to even know what "quiet" means.
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Thu May 23, 2019 5:40 pm

This is where the fun begins.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Thu May 23, 2019 5:41 pm

Des-Bal wrote:How many fucking times does he have to screw himself over before he shuts his idiot mouth? He ran his mouth about the fake attack and drew skepticism, he ran his mouth about his co-conspirators being real racist homophobes and got sued, and he ran his mouth about getting off and convinced the judge to open his records. For fucks sake just stop talking.

He's an arrogant asshole. He got off once so he thinks he's invincible.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu May 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Aclion wrote:In fact, the majority of the 192-page file consisted of the media’s motions objecting to the sealing of the file in the first place.

I won't lie, that amuses me a bit.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Fri May 24, 2019 10:26 pm

Good, maybe we'll find some actual collusion!
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri May 24, 2019 10:27 pm

lol who the fuck cares can he just crawl off and live out his days with the C-listers and stop bothering all of us w his nonsense :p
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 pm

He deserves to be sued, and so much more, because of his stupid actions.
squid
female who is (unapologetically) in love with females ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5.75, -5.33

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General