NATION

PASSWORD

Is There Too Much Bias In The News?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Page
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9686
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon May 06, 2019 10:56 pm

Everyone is so concerned with bias toward one political party or ideology like Fox being shills for the Republicans and MSNBC being shills for Democrats, you have forgotten that they are all shills for the establishment. That's why they all have the same narrative on Venezuela, because the military-industrial complex that wants to profit off starting another war doesn't care whether there is a Republican or a Democrat in the White House in Congress so long as they all get their way. They all had the same uniform narrative on Syria. Privately owned corporate cable news in America is more compliant with pushing the narrative of the American establishment than state owned RT is with promoting Russian interests.

Of all people on cable news, Tucker Carlson is one of the only ones who dares to dissent. Don't get me wrong, he is a bigot and a generally awful person but a broken clock is right twice a day and he at leasts get credit where credit is due.
I am a libertarian socialist.
I am ungovernable.
I owe no allegiance to any state.
I am bound to my conscience, not to the law.
I stand for liberty, justice, and peace.

User avatar
Senkaku
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16591
Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Senkaku » Mon May 06, 2019 11:01 pm

Page wrote:you have forgotten that they are all shills for the establishment. Privately owned corporate cable news in America is more compliant with pushing the narrative of the American establishment than state owned RT is with promoting Russian interests.

Tucker Carlson is one of the only ones who dares to dissent.


> cable news are shills for the establishment/elites/whatever
>>> TUCKER CARLSON of all people is the only dissenter

i have no mouth but i must scream

(also ignoring the rest of the absolutely nuclear takes in that post lol)
Instagay

Athrax wrote:
Gauthier wrote:How many times a month did Kennedy visit Dallas?


Only once. He got a mindblowing reception though

The Nuclear Fist wrote:Just try and find a seat without getting your bollocks stuck in a light socket.

Lunas Legion wrote:That's NS for you. It has 2 speeds; a rape train with no brakes or brakes with no train.

Diopolis wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Sanders/Trump 2016

Mexico will pay for our universal healthcare!

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:The strobe was a little much.

But then the beat dropped and it was just perfect.

User avatar
Kowani
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9160
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Mon May 06, 2019 11:03 pm

Page wrote:Everyone is so concerned with bias toward one political party or ideology like Fox being shills for the Republicans and MSNBC being shills for Democrats, you have forgotten that they are all shills for the establishment. That's why they all have the same narrative on Venezuela, because the military-industrial complex that wants to profit off starting another war doesn't care whether there is a Republican or a Democrat in the White House in Congress so long as they all get their way. They all had the same uniform narrative on Syria. Privately owned corporate cable news in America is more compliant with pushing the narrative of the American establishment than state owned RT is with promoting Russian interests.

Of all people on cable news, Tucker Carlson is one of the only ones who dares to dissent. Don't get me wrong, he is a bigot and a generally awful person but a broken clock is right twice a day and he at leasts get credit where credit is due.

Imagine thinking that Maduro was legitimately elected. :lol2:
Narcissistic (Hedonistic) Nihilist. Yes, I am edgy. I know.
Dorgival R. Seč of the NS Parliament!
Atheist and still proud of it. Technophile to the extreme.
Post-Capitalist, Post-Nationalist. Go beyond.
Oh, and a Pragmatist. Somehow.
Rights are functionally just privileges society has deemed important.
Neanderthaland wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:Contraception can't fail if you don't have sex in term no unwanted pregnancy.

Your entire religion is based on the idea that this isn't true.

User avatar
Page
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9686
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon May 06, 2019 11:03 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Page wrote:you have forgotten that they are all shills for the establishment. Privately owned corporate cable news in America is more compliant with pushing the narrative of the American establishment than state owned RT is with promoting Russian interests.

Tucker Carlson is one of the only ones who dares to dissent.


> cable news are shills for the establishment/elites/whatever
>>> TUCKER CARLSON of all people is the only dissenter

i have no mouth but i must scream

(also ignoring the rest of the absolutely nuclear takes in that post lol)


Just to be super clear, I am not really praising Tucker Carlson as he is a bigot and a fascist sympathizer, I am only pointing out that he is one of the only ones on corporate cable news who is telling the truth about US foreign policy. He is still a scumbag, just a scumbag who happens to be right about a few things.
I am a libertarian socialist.
I am ungovernable.
I owe no allegiance to any state.
I am bound to my conscience, not to the law.
I stand for liberty, justice, and peace.

User avatar
An Alan Smithee Nation
Minister
 
Posts: 2830
Founded: Apr 18, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Tue May 07, 2019 11:46 am

There are too many journalists in prison around the world.

User avatar
Abarri
Envoy
 
Posts: 226
Founded: Aug 10, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Abarri » Fri May 10, 2019 1:50 am

To answer the thread question, I say it depends on the news outlet. Personally, I believe the key is to try to find a news source with the least bias as possible.

Bias itself has always been there. It's probably a matter of subtleness.
Located in The South Pacific. Please ignore the income tax rate provided by NS.

Prefers TSP. Spanish is not my native language. I often take things for granted. Green is my favorite color. Collects music CDs. A male who's an almost-libertarian. Nominal non-practicing Protestant. Eh, to heck with it, I'm unaffiliated. Poetaster.
How I found NS. Try not guessing where I reside.
Dammit, Zuko! Why does your leitmotif always give me goosebumps?!
Also, if having a letter in a flag is a sin, I'm proud to be a vexillographical sinner.

User avatar
Mystic Warriors
Minister
 
Posts: 3117
Founded: May 10, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri May 10, 2019 1:56 am

I watch fox news for the lolz.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

User avatar
Democratic Empire of Romania
Envoy
 
Posts: 226
Founded: Apr 03, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Democratic Empire of Romania » Fri May 10, 2019 1:56 am

Of course it is. On both US political sides, the news outletsust make cash by thrashing on the others, making clickabit titles.
Last edited by Democratic Empire of Romania on Fri May 10, 2019 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salutare tuturor Românilor de pe NationStates !

Centrist; Memer; Agnostic and ex-Orthodox; Huge nerd ( ASOIAF, Star Wars, Red Rising, Dune, Foundation, Metro 2033 )

User avatar
The Andromeda Archipelago
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 192
Founded: Sep 05, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Andromeda Archipelago » Fri May 10, 2019 2:08 am

Aeritai wrote:And in my opinion I think there isn't that much bias in journalism mostly because when I hear something about biases in news I usually think of Fox News and CNN since those two support a party they are bias when it comes to talking about politics. The news I see like NBC never have any biases unless I never noticed it.


When the bias causes a News outlet not to report accurately, then there is too much bias.
Formerly known as The Andromeda Islands!

User avatar
Esternial
P2TM RP Mentor
 
Posts: 51800
Founded: May 09, 2009
Democratic Socialists

Postby Esternial » Fri May 10, 2019 2:17 am

Definitely.

You can easily compensate by getting your news from sources with a different bias and not assuming whatever you hear on any news channel is entirely accurate.

When you talk about it, hedge your statements. Rather than tweet "measles cures cancer" say "this news source has suggested measles cures cancer" - you can avoid looking like a right twat because some journalist didn't bother to read an entire scientific article. Especially if you consider there are some people that would then double down on that statement out of pride or whatever - poor twats.

User avatar
Krolichgrad
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 5
Founded: Jun 13, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krolichgrad » Mon May 13, 2019 9:35 am

CBC News is especially biased towards whichever party has majority in Parliament, they will switch from supporting Liberals one day to supporting Tories the next.

User avatar
Lanoraie II
Envoy
 
Posts: 290
Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Lanoraie II » Mon May 13, 2019 10:44 am

If you read even just a little bit about manipulation and such tactics, you'll find very quickly how outright, unashamedly manipulative nearly all articles from nearly all mainstream news sources are. The biggest one I've noticed is emotional and opinionated language in articles that aren't under an opinion piece. My God, does that enrage me. They'll try and sneak it in, too, by not putting "" around implicated bias words such as "racist", "repulsive", etc. Those are opinion words. You put them in "".

People also have no idea how big of an impact this manipulation has. People have no idea how easy they are to manipulate. It's so unnervingly easy to manipulate someone that it's scary. Only people who are aware of manipulation can fight against it. There's so much blatant propaganda, it's enraging.
Civic/Cultural Nationalist with a less conservative outlook on life than most other nationalists. Strong believer in freedom of speech, natural resource conservation, and raising children without violence. Straight edge and goth-ish.

User avatar
Shofercia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28848
Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Mon May 13, 2019 12:55 pm

Aeritai wrote:I decided to ask this question because ever since Trump was elected as President in 2016 I always hear and sometimes see bias in news articles or on television news mostly either from Fox News or CNN. Which thought me to thinking "Is there too much bias in the news today?"

And in my opinion I think there isn't that much bias in journalism mostly because when I hear something about biases in news I usually think of Fox News and CNN since those two support a party they are bias when it comes to talking about politics. The news I see like NBC never have any biases unless I never noticed it.

So what is your opinion NSG is there too much bias in the news in today's world or not?


Of course there's too much bias - that's why you get your news from multiple sources, except CNN. Don't waste your time, you don't need them. MSNBC covers Democratic point of view, Fox News covers Republican point of view, CNN just covers point of view of whomever pays them most - they're the equivalent of a very well paid slut. No need to see that shit.
Ukraine - stop bombing innocent people! Pricks who burn other people alive should be punished.
Feel the Bern! Two actual females that can beat Trump: Gabbard & Klobuchar
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
If we tell the radical Republicans that there's proof that Global Warming doesn't exist in Death Valley, and the radical Democrats that there's proof of Russian Collusion there, would we have a better America?

(North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia! DonBass is De Facto Independent! Stand with NovoRossiya!
Tecumseh was a Real American

User avatar
Shofercia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28848
Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Mon May 13, 2019 1:08 pm

US-SSR wrote:
Aclion wrote:You say that, but the Conservative new outlets aren't tanking in the ratings because they spent the last year and a half covering a bogus narrative, the "liberal" outlets are. The conservative outlets aren't slandering their competitors in order to get them censored, the "liberal" media is. I think when you can't differentiate fact from what's good for your party and you need to attack you competitors to even stay relevant then you've got a serious bias problem. Fox New is in fact less biased then the rest of the legacy media, if only because they're moved to the center to gobble up all the viewers who've given up on CNN and MSNBC.


Tanking? Really? 'Cause CNN + MSNBC > FOX for all hours in all demos.


Really? So 3,119 < (931+1,623) now? Seems like that fact has a conservative bias.


Aclion wrote:
US-SSR wrote:
Just checked the link again and it's perfectly fine. I call BS. Plus, from your source:



767k + 1.660m = 2.427m > 2.395m. What I said.

In other news, your guy still lost the popular vote by 3m, no one has read the Mueller report 'cause it's still redacted and the administration is stonewalling its release and the release of its supporting material, and it ain't over until the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee says it is.

Te popular vote means nothing, the Muller investigation was nothing but opposition research and Nadler is hack


But that would require Nadler to listen, and show listening comprehension.

Owens: "Mr. Lieu believes that black people are stupid and will not pursue the full clip in its entirety" - after Ted Lieu quoted her completely out of context.
Nadler: "It's not proper to refer disparagingly to a member of the committee... the witness may not refer to a member of the committee as stupid"
Ukraine - stop bombing innocent people! Pricks who burn other people alive should be punished.
Feel the Bern! Two actual females that can beat Trump: Gabbard & Klobuchar
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
If we tell the radical Republicans that there's proof that Global Warming doesn't exist in Death Valley, and the radical Democrats that there's proof of Russian Collusion there, would we have a better America?

(North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia! DonBass is De Facto Independent! Stand with NovoRossiya!
Tecumseh was a Real American

User avatar
Unia Ante
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 17
Founded: May 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Unia Ante » Mon May 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Aeritai wrote:I decided to ask this question because ever since Trump was elected as President in 2016 I always hear and sometimes see bias in news articles or on television news mostly either from Fox News or CNN. Which thought me to thinking "Is there too much bias in the news today?"

And in my opinion I think there isn't that much bias in journalism mostly because when I hear something about biases in news I usually think of Fox News and CNN since those two support a party they are bias when it comes to talking about politics. The news I see like NBC never have any biases unless I never noticed it.

So what is your opinion NSG is there too much bias in the news in today's world or not?

I think this all of the time. There is a lot of bias. While I am already left-leaning, so naturally I would agree with most things CNN says, I would rather watch NBC because I would rather formulate my own opinions without influence. I wish there were more news options that weren't so biased.

User avatar
Nea Byzantia
Minister
 
Posts: 3388
Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nea Byzantia » Tue May 14, 2019 7:30 am

Shofercia wrote:
Aeritai wrote:I decided to ask this question because ever since Trump was elected as President in 2016 I always hear and sometimes see bias in news articles or on television news mostly either from Fox News or CNN. Which thought me to thinking "Is there too much bias in the news today?"

And in my opinion I think there isn't that much bias in journalism mostly because when I hear something about biases in news I usually think of Fox News and CNN since those two support a party they are bias when it comes to talking about politics. The news I see like NBC never have any biases unless I never noticed it.

So what is your opinion NSG is there too much bias in the news in today's world or not?


Of course there's too much bias - that's why you get your news from multiple sources, except CNN. Don't waste your time, you don't need them. MSNBC covers Democratic point of view, Fox News covers Republican point of view, CNN just covers point of view of whomever pays them most - they're the equivalent of a very well paid slut. No need to see that shit.

All the major Media Companies are owned by 6 Conglomerates...Of course they're gonna be biased.

User avatar
Immutable Law
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: May 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Immutable Law » Tue May 14, 2019 9:40 am

Aeritai wrote:I decided to ask this question because ever since Trump was elected as President in 2016 I always hear and sometimes see bias in news articles or on television news mostly either from Fox News or CNN. Which thought me to thinking "Is there too much bias in the news today?"

And in my opinion I think there isn't that much bias in journalism mostly because when I hear something about biases in news I usually think of Fox News and CNN since those two support a party they are bias when it comes to talking about politics. The news I see like NBC never have any biases unless I never noticed it.

So what is your opinion NSG is there too much bias in the news in today's world or not?

Speaking only for the United States, with 90% or better of its popular and news media in support of one particular party, the last thing it should be called is mainstream.
It has to be the only country I can think of that has a voluntary state media service, at least in regard to one party.

It is amusing to track a top story across the networks and major papers. With almost every outlet copy pasting the story from one written source within the root service of the Asscociated Press, I often think of the sound of one hand clapping.
The more you try to flatten adversity in your society, the more systematically unjust it becomes.

User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Senator
 
Posts: 3540
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed May 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Wed May 15, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supports: Liberty, Capitalism, Libertarianism, Low Taxes, Free Speech, Civic Nationalism, Representative Republics, Secularism, Atheism

Against: Crony Capitalism, Fascism, Nazism, Antifa, Ethnic Nationalism, alt-right, Communism, Socialism, Religion, Totalitarianism, Authoritarianism, mass migration
Fascists on Gameside have declared me an Enemy of the State! lol.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aclion, Bluelight-R006, Cannot think of a name, Cerinda, Commonwealth Republic of Andyrssia, Distobyat, Drongonia, Drystar, Genivaria, Google [Bot], Great Minarchistan, Hanafuridake, Ifreann, Jack Thomas Lang, Khesula, Kowani, Krisxlle, Nogodia, Prydania, Purgatio, Rojava Free State, Saiwania, Samudera Darussalam, Telconi, Thermodolia, Upper Secundus, Valentine Z

Advertisement

Remove ads