NATION

PASSWORD

Of Iron and Fire (Ancient/City-State/Fantasy, OOC, OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Nu-Amerika wrote:Yall are slacking, ill try and have my post done by tonight

Well like most everyone else here I don't have much to post about right now. I mean Vison is far away from the dragon attacks and I am not really involved in any diplomatic shenanigans.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Tasuirin
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tasuirin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:09 pm

Toaslandia wrote:
Tasuirin wrote:Yeah, not sure if deading or just slumping.

I just really can't post until something major in Rheas, dragons, or Erlend happens.

I mean, technically, the dragons just destroyed a city...

But yeah, I've been slacking too. I'll try to get something up soon-ish.
IC'ly, Tasuirin is:
An Absolute Monarchy, A Federal Monarchy, Neo-Feudalistic, Anti-Democratic, Mercantilist, Five Kingdoms, Ruled by One King
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ASEXUAL~ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ☭ ★ ☭ ★ ☭ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ATHEIST ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ CELTIC ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ AUSTRALIAN ⋅.} ──── ⊰

Nu-Amerika
Secretary

Founded: Jan 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nu-Amerika » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Reverend Norv wrote:
Nu-Amerika wrote:Yall are slacking, ill try and have my post done by tonight

Since we are all lining up excuses, heck, I’ve been waiting for you. But once you post, I will, and we’ll at least create something for folks on Sidonia to do.

Ah my bad Norv. I will for sure have it done by tomorrow.

The Imperial Reach
Minister

Founded: Jun 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Reach » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Tasuirin wrote:
Toaslandia wrote:I just really can't post until something major in Rheas, dragons, or Erlend happens.

I mean, technically, the dragons just destroyed a city...

But yeah, I've been slacking too. I'll try to get something up soon-ish.

Nobody up north knows about that. You're on the edge of civilization, bub.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:
The Imperial Reach wrote:I've encountered this event maybe 4 times and I've never lost - not even once. Even the one time when I had no skill-related options, I still won.

Stop giving me more reasons to hate you
In the process of a massive retcon, like, massive
NS stats are the Devil's lettuce
I'm too lazy to make cool for a fancy sig

My F7 Policy

Farahdeen
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Farahdeen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:40 pm

im just waiting for responses. If ya like, OP you can send a dragon to Sypria

Former Citizens of the Nimbus System
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Former Citizens of the Nimbus System » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:24 pm

Well, I've done enough of the map now that I've got an idea of what the city's layout is, so I thought that I'd better get something up. Hope that it's up to scratch!
We are the Nexus Wardship of Former Citizens of the Nimbus System, not just a collection of people; please shorten to the pre-title or use the full name!

Emmet: You might see a mess -
Lord Business: Exactly: a bunch of weird, dorky stuff that ruined my perfectly good stuff!
Emmet: Okay. What I see are people, inspired by each other and by you - people taking what you made and making something new out of it.

The central Nimban cultural ideal summed up in an exchange from The Lego Movie.

Supporter of the campaign to add Economic Freedom to the home page!

Robo-Nixon
Attaché

Founded: Jan 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Robo-Nixon » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:22 am

I'll also admit to slacking and try to complete a post soon. After that, I hope some reaction from Thassalos can keep speeding things up!

Tasuirin
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tasuirin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:23 am

Ach! Must. Not. Busy...

I'll get something up tomorrow... Yikes, I did not expect to be this lax.
IC'ly, Tasuirin is:
An Absolute Monarchy, A Federal Monarchy, Neo-Feudalistic, Anti-Democratic, Mercantilist, Five Kingdoms, Ruled by One King
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ASEXUAL~ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ☭ ★ ☭ ★ ☭ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ATHEIST ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ CELTIC ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ AUSTRALIAN ⋅.} ──── ⊰

The Hoosier Alliance
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoosier Alliance » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:50 am

It appears the internet lied to me, and Polemarcho is just Polemarch. That's why it's gonna be different in my next post, lol, which should be up pretty soon.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery
- Thomas Jefferson
What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms
- Thomas Jefferson
Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it
-Mark Twain
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety
- Benjamin Franklin
To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them
-George Mason
I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people.
-George Mason

BettaMin
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby BettaMin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:41 am

OF IRON AND FIRE APPLICATION

NS NAME:
BettaMin

CITY NAME: Tria Akris, or Akris

POPULATION: (max. 1,000,000 at a stretch)
130,000 urban citizens
170,000 urban non-citizens
350,000 non-citizen residents of the city's low altitude enclaves.
10,000 non-citizen residents of Ceroi, Tria Akris’s sea port

Total; 660,000

SYMBOL OF CITY:
Three overlapping mountains drawn as lines on a white field

LOCATION OF CITY:
North - North-east of Propylea, South of Nomos

MAJOR COLOURS OF CITY:
White and Black

GOVERNMENT TYPE:
Tria Akris is an elective monarchy. Citizens, who have earned their position through military service, cast their votes upon the death of the previous monarch to elect one of the chieftains of Tria Akris's many tribes as the next king. As citizens almost exclusively vote along tribal lines, elections are generally resolved through closed debates in which chieftains try to rally other chieftains to their cause. The Sarrissoi, the Hadassoi, and the Khartamoi have emerged as the dominant tribes in this system due to their tribes sizes and inter-tribal marriages, forming broader coalitions lasting across generations. These tribes have further cemented their positions as paramount tribes through their kings, as kings frequently allot the greatest shares of gains during their reign to their tribe and coalition partners. Total dominance of one tribe is prevented through the Akrisian enclave system; enclaves are great sources of wealth for the tribe, but enclave members lose their status as citizens. Akrisian monarchy must thus balance their desire to enrich their tribe with their need to maintain a sizable electorate to nominate another king of the same tribe.

Despite the rigid tribal system of the monarchy, Akrisian governance is remarkably meritocratic bureaucracy, as Akrisian kings have generally recognized that their power rests in efficient management of their many low-altitude enclaves. The civil bureaucracy is dominated by non-citizens of the enclaves who have proven their worth as efficient administrators at lower altitudes. The military, however, is effectively dominated by the aristocracy, with many noble houses viewing war as a means to secure bonds sealed in blood, or to secure wealth when outside of the ruling tribal coalition.

CULTURE OF CITY:
Akrisian culture is, like many of the Sidonian city-states, divergent from the Telenian mainstream. Akrisian monarchs have taken extreme measures to demonstrate their Telenian character, going even so far as to commission gigantic statues of the gods to be carved into the faces of the mountains that have nearly broken the back of the city-state's economy. Some more liberal Akrisians philosophers, however, consider themselves neither Telenian or Sidonian. There is merit to this claim. The Akrisoi are a "Telenized" people; their noble houses do not trace their origins back to Rheas or Pelagia, though many claim such roots. Testament to this fact is the Akrisian dialect of Telenian, which maintains many pre-Telenian names, words, and sounds. The Akrisian dialect is widely considered the 'ugliest' Telenian dialect because of its strange, throaty consonants.

The mountains hold an important place in Akrisian culture. The Akrisoi see the mountains as divine. Many see the mountains as a symbolic meeting of earth and sky, begetting life, equating them with the marriage of Imulas and Gevada. Others see the mountains as distinct from the gods entirely, imbued with benevolent spirits - the Neuma. Akrisian religious and secular life revolves around the mountains. Second to tribal identification, mountain identification serves as one of the primary markers of distinction for Akrisians. Many festivals culminate in processions to the very peaks of the mountains to perform sacrifices; sacrifices performed at the mountain peaks are viewed as the most auspicious and most rewarding as the holy smoke has much shorter a distance to travel to reach the gods. The most important festival of the Akrisoi is the Hakka Deous, which is celebrated with athletic performances, with the most prestigious being a two-day long race between the peaks of Surat and Hudar, identified with the gods Kuna and Ophina.

CIVIC SPECIALIZATIONS:
Akrisian Mountains: The Akrisoi populate the highest reaches of the Akrisian mountains. They are known for their endurance and long distance running abilities. Many past Akrisoi monarchs have contributed to the construction of a road network spanning the mountains, in order to connect the city to its enclaves and subsidiary hamlets.

Enclave System: Tria Akris is nestled in the valleys of the steep Akrisian mountains, far above sea level. In order to overcome the limitations posed by their high-altitude settlement, the Akrisoi kings have been known to deliberately displace large portions of their population to lower altitudes to establish Akrisian enclaves with the aim of securing resources at lower altitudes. These enclaves are heavily subsidized by Tria Akris through routine shipments of food and beer along the Akrisian roads, so that the enclaves remain dependent on the city. These enclaves are governed by administrators elected by their populace. Many members of the Tria Akris bureaucracy are former administrators of these enclaves. As such, many families see the enclaves as places of opportunity, as the conditions for both economic success and social mobility are ripe for those lacking noble ancestry. The port settlement of Ceroi is one such enclave, acting as the Akrisian route to the sea.

MILITARY SPECIALIZATIONS:
Mountain Warriors: The Akrisoi are not known for their prowess in the phalanx. Akrisoi are born and bred mountain warriors, and prefer skirmishes to pitched battles. They are renowned for their skill with the javelin; with victory in the Hakka Deous javelin throwing competition falling only behind wrestling and the great race in prestige. While Tria Akris does field a phalanx, composed primarily of the younger sons of noble houses, the most prestige is held in positions of command of Tria Akris's peltast bands. Akrisian peltasts are lightly armored, fighting often only in stiff cloth with a wicker crescent shield, favoring swiftness above all else. Prestigious bands, however, are known to don helmets, greaves, and breastplates. While preferring to avoid a melee, the peltasts also carry axes and long Sidonian slashing swords. This distaste of close combat does not, however, translate to a lack of skill in that area. Akrisian peltasts are known for their ferocity and skill in personal combat, but are aware of the strength of a well organized, armored Telenian phalanx.

Mountain Forts: Mountain forts in the Akrisian mountains emerged out of cultural and tactical necessity. The tradition of erecting remote, stone towers is ancient, emerging as a way to protect highland villagers from raiders and to serve as places of protection for the targets of blood feuds between clans. With the "Telenization" of the Akrisians, the blood feuds are much rarer, and these mountain forts have come to serve a more pragmatic purpose. Many of these mountain forts have been seized from the clans and re-purposed as supply stations and watch towers for the military of Tria Akris. Many of these forts were constructed much more recently and have always served the purpose of supplying Tria Akris's soldiers. Peltast bands use these forts as centers of operations from which to chase off bandits and scout for invaders and dragons.

COMPOSITION OF ARMY:
8,000 pseudo-Telenian spearmen; consisting primarily of young noble citizenry, performing their required service as urban guards, taxmen, and as the showpiece of Telenization in the Akrisian highlands.
16,000 peltasts; consisting of both the prestigious noble citizenry and non-noble citizens, performing their required service as mountain watchmen.
7,000 elite peltasts; consisting of 'blooded' bands who have served beyond their required service, some veteran mercenaries
2,000 Oros "Mountain Guard" peltasts; professionalized non-noble career soldiers drawn from Tria Akris's spears and peltasts, tasked with serving as the king's personal unit.
5,000 marines; non-noble mixed body of soldiers tasked with the protection of Telenian trade.

NUMBER OF SHIPS:
50 seaworthy merchant vessels
20 seaworthy military vessels

HISTORY OF CITY:
Tria Akris formed centuries ago as a religious site surrounding the temple of a thunder deity, named Haddar. It enjoyed prosperity for many years as a center for worship and a neutral zone for the many warring Akrisian tribes that lived in the mountains. It soon became overtaken by secular functions as a confederation of mountain tribes was established with Tria Akris as its capital. The confederation was formed largely through marriage and diplomacy, but partly through conquests largely headed by kings of the Khartamoi tribe. After decades of consolidation, a second era, headed by Hadassoi kings, refined and formalized the institutions that had led to the success of earlier kings, including the enclave system, meritocratic bureaucracy, and road network. The confederation's internal bonds were strengthened by the emergence of these powerful institutions, and came to function more and more as a single entity rather than a loose confederation of tribes. This pre-Telenian golden age came to the end when Akrisian civilization began to seep out of the mountains. The Akrisians both plagued the early Telenian city states in Eastern Sidonia and served as mercenaries for their wars. Hadassoi kings grew less popular as they forsook Akrisian traditions for Telenian for diplomatic gain or as a consequence of military defeat, with one Telenian exhibition to pacify the mountains succeeding in toppling the reigning king but failing to hold the territory or even escape the mountains alive.

Although many Akrisians voiced their displeasure at the gradual loss of their ways, many embraced Telenian ways and adopted their customs and even language. The final king of the Hadassoi-dominated period, Mekhage, demanded his entire court adopt the Telenian language and adopted a Telenian name for himself, Meleager. His reforms were widely unpopular and only adopted under threat of punishment. While unpopular as a king, Meleager was quite competent and held onto rule despite repeated attempts to oust him from the throne. When Meleager died, it was not political intrigue that killed him, but instead a case of dysentery. He was succeeded by the first of many Sarissoi kings, Ager, who, unexpectedly, took the Telenian name Agis and did not reverse Meleager's reforms. Agis began a tradition of Sarissoi political balancing; embracing Telenian culture for practical purposes of trade and politics, while satisfying the traditional elite by preserving pre-Telenian institutions and appeasement by granting larger shares of enclaves and battle loot to compliant noble houses.

Now, Tria Akris is a 'Telenized' city-state, speaking its own peculiar dialect of the Telenian. While its people are still seen as barbarous and its warriors seen as greedy mercenaries, it has its own mathematicians and philosophers that are very much part of the mainstream Telenian discourse. Its kings, still often elected from the Sarissoi tribe, make every effort to prove that they are Telenian, through massive displays of piety and constant renovations and construction of shrines and temples. It's citizens see themselves as Telenian, and although they speak differently than their 'cousins', they practice many of the same traditions. However, in all of these practices, many true Telenian's will notice a distinctive Akrisian character to their behavior.

#OIAF app - DO NOT DELETE
Last edited by BettaMin on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Former Citizens of the Nimbus System » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:57 am

BettaMin wrote:

800,000, of which 550,000 are non-citizen residents of the city's low altitude enclaves.

Hmm... Somebody's taking on non-Telenian cultural elements to justify a high population, methinks... No judgement; makes a lot of sense! In all seriousness, though, 800,000 is very high for a city at this time; Rome (very, very much the exception rather than the rule) at its peak had 1,000,000 and that was fuelled by half a millennium of conquest and only sustained by constant grain imports from North Africa. Might want to revise it down a little. (Not the OP; just know a little about ancient history.)

I should get around to making my next post. Will focus on the Hetairoi's deliberations around the potential dragonic threat; that way I can justify actually sending out missives to my fellow poleis.
Last edited by Former Citizens of the Nimbus System on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the Nexus Wardship of Former Citizens of the Nimbus System, not just a collection of people; please shorten to the pre-title or use the full name!

Lord Business: Exactly: a bunch of weird, dorky stuff that ruined my perfectly good stuff!
Emmet: Okay. What I see are people, inspired by each other and by you - people taking what you made and making something new out of it.

BettaMin
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby BettaMin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:13 am

Former Citizens of the Nimbus System wrote:
BettaMin wrote:

800,000, of which 550,000 are non-citizen residents of the city's low altitude enclaves.

Hmm... Somebody's taking on non-Telenian cultural elements to justify a high population, methinks... No judgement; makes a lot of sense! In all seriousness, though, 800,000 is very high for a city at this time; Rome (very, very much the exception rather than the rule) at its peak had 1,000,000 and that was fuelled by half a millennium of conquest and only sustained by constant grain imports from North Africa. Might want to revise it down a little. (Not the OP; just know a little about ancient history.)

I should get around to making my next post. Will focus on the Hetairoi's deliberations around the potential dragonic threat; that way I can justify actually sending out missives to my fellow poleis.

Nope, that’s sound advice. I just took a look at the first few city states I clicked from the list and saw about 700,000 with the first few. Just to clarify; the urban population is 150,000, with 550,000 being rural or concentrated in enclaves through out the mountains - in effect, colonies, but over land. If that’s a bit high, though, I’m 100% willing to drop it down! I can take a look tomorrow, and likely lower down the population of the enclaves.

Whole cultural concept is basically hellenized Thracians.
Last edited by BettaMin on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ambassador

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Former Citizens of the Nimbus System » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:33 am

BettaMin wrote:
Former Citizens of the Nimbus System wrote:Hmm... Somebody's taking on non-Telenian cultural elements to justify a high population, methinks... No judgement; makes a lot of sense! In all seriousness, though, 800,000 is very high for a city at this time; Rome (very, very much the exception rather than the rule) at its peak had 1,000,000 and that was fuelled by half a millennium of conquest and only sustained by constant grain imports from North Africa. Might want to revise it down a little. (Not the OP; just know a little about ancient history.)

Nope, that’s sound advice. I just took a look at the first few city states I clicked from the list and saw about 700,000 with the first few. Just to clarify; the urban population is 150,000, with 550,000 being rural or concentrated in enclaves through out the mountains - in effect, colonies, but over land. If that’s a bit high, though, I’m 100% willing to drop it down! I can take a look tomorrow, and likely lower down the population of the enclaves.

Whole cultural concept is basically hellenized Thracians.

Well, you certainly have the urban/rural dynamic of a typical polis down! Honestly, a lot of the population numbers here are very sizeable; Xenophon notes Athens as having 10,000 households, which Wikipedia makes out to be around 120,000 people, and Athens was one of the biggest poleis in Greece if not the biggest. (He does use the word 'polis' so not sure whether he's writing about the urban city or the entire city-state but I suspect the former.) 700,000 or 800,000 isn't entirely implausible, it's just quite large.

I must say, I don't know much about the Thracians but I do love the concepts that you're throwing around. Will watch with interest!
Last edited by Former Citizens of the Nimbus System on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse