NATION

PASSWORD

TREE OF MERCY (Sign-Up/OOC) [INVITE ONLY]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

TREE OF MERCY (Sign-Up/OOC) [INVITE ONLY]

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:56 am

• While all aspects of this RP will remain consistent with forum rules, and while this should be a rip-roaring good time less emotionally fraught than some of my other RPs, it is also an story for grown-ups. There will be violence, sexuality, foul language, and potentially sensitive religious content that will need to be treated with sensitivity and respect. So if graphic content is traumatizing to you by reason of age or past experiences, or if you feel that you cannot treat the religious aspects of here with due sensitivity, then I advise you to follow or participate in this RP only with due caution. Thank you.
  • This RP, like most of my RPs, exists on the fine line between scripted and interactive storytelling. You will get to design your characters, but you will work closely with me in doing so in order to fill certain plot roles that are necessary to the story. You will also work closely with each other, in order to ensure that all characters have preexisting relationships as fellow members of the same university. The actions of your characters will dramatically shape the direction of the story, but the creation of plot for this RP is primarily my responsibility: your characters will choose between the options that I make available, just as real people choose between the options that the world offers them.

TREE OF MERCY
SECRETS OF THE CENTURIES

Some Things Were Meant to Stay Hidden

"Archaeology is the search for fact, not truth. If it's truth you're interested in, Dr. Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall. So forget any ideas you've got about lost cities, exotic travel, and digging up the world. We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and X never, ever marks the spot."
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

DEAN GIDDES

I love that quote. "X never marks the spot." I joked about having it carved above the entrance to the anthropology building. Believed it, too. In my experience as a historian, the truth was almost always more complicated and less exciting than the movies made it out to be. You spend a lot of time hunting through archives, and come back with a theory that no one can prove for sure: not because anyone's trying to hide the truth, but because the centuries have left you with nothing truly concrete to find.

This is the story that proved that I was wrong - wrong about all of that. And how.

My own part in it is marginal. I was dean of faculty at Georgetown when all of this happened. A group of professors and graduate students - an archaeologist, a religious scholar, a linguist, and some others - approached me to ask for the university's support for their research. They thought, based on some recent construction near the Tiber, that they had identified a new and unexplored section of the catacombs beneath Rome. They wanted to take a few months, go to Italy, and see what they could find by excavating the site.

It seemed simple enough. Sure, it was 2019, and the world looked like it was sliding further and further into chaos. But I was never one to believe the talk about how Europe was slipping into a whirlpool of crime and political fanaticism. I believed that Georgetown couldn't retreat from its international research. And besides: I trusted this group. They were good at what they did, close-knit, committed to each other and to their research. And I thought that they were resourceful enough that if anything did go wrong, they'd probably be able to improvise a way out in one piece.

On that much, at least, I was exactly right.

I know now how much I didn't realize, at the moment I signed those research grants. I didn't know that one of my colleagues was sick. I didn't know about the dreams that two of them had, dreams of long-vanished times and places. Most of all, I didn't know what waited in those catacombs: a secret buried for two millennia, a story that was meant to stay hidden. I didn't know the chaos that would be unleashed when my friends discovered it: chaos that would drive them from country to country, one step ahead of the most dangerous men on Earth, desperately unraveling the mystery that their lives depended on solving. I didn't know that, when they came back, they'd never even tell me the full tale of what had happened.

I didn't know any of that. If I had, I hope to God I'd never have signed the grant. But I did sign it, and my friends went to Rome, and in the tunnels deep beneath its streets they found the first page in a story that should have been lost to the ages: a story with the power to shake Christianity to its core and to turn the global order completely upside down. My friends never asked to be a part of that story. They weren't soldiers or spies or fanatics; they were just academics, men and women trying to understand the past. They didn't know, like I didn't know, that in the next few months they'd unravel the greatest mystery of the last two thousand years.

If they survived...
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:57 am

THE RULES, AND GENERAL OBSERVATIONS

The OOC

• If you are involved in this RP, then this is an open OOC. Feel free to discuss anything and everything, whether it has to do with the story or not.

• This story involves made-up organizations and actors, but it's closely grounded in historical fact and in modern geopolitics. Familiarity with archaeology, classics, religious history, and other academic fields is not expected, but you are more than welcome to run any questions by me before you post. The OOC should function, at least in part, as a clearing-house for technical inquiries about the storyline. Just post your question to the OOC, and I will add it – and the answer – to the FAQs below.

• This is a rip-roaring adventure, but it's also a grown-up story about religious ideas that are central to the lives of millions. In-character, there’s going to be a fair amount of disturbing material, and we'll be dealing with some potentially sensitive subject matter for people of all three Abrahamic faiths. Remember that this is storytelling, and that IC events do not represent the feelings of OOC players. But also be aware that my tolerance for OOC rudeness falls in inverse proportion to the level of IC insensitivity. If your character is disrespecting folks' beliefs right and left in the IC, you had better be an icon of patience and tolerance here in the OOC.

• I understand that people have scheduling issues. I have them myself. This will move slowly sometimes, and rapidly at other times. The key is that if you drop off the map for a few days, post to the OOC first. And try to keep the OOC lively even if the IC is moving slowly; that way, we will all remain invested and ready to jump back into the action when peoples’ schedules free up.

The Roleplay

• So at least one of you is still wondering what the hell this is. The answer: this is an adventure thriller RP about a team of American academics who, on a routine dig in Rome, stumble upon an ancient conspiracy concerning a text of potentially vast religious significance. Their quest to uncover that mystery, and to avoid being killed in the process, will take them on a tour of six nations, through warzones and catacombs, to the brink of a discovery of unimaginable importance. It owes an obvious debt to the Indiana Jones films and to the novels of Dan Brown, and if you liked either of those works, then I hope you'll enjoy this too.

• All players will take the role of academics present at the original dig site in Rome. You will have to make your own decisions collectively about your group's actions; I will not have a single primary character. I will, however, control all major NPCs, and I will provide a steady diet of clues, puzzles, chases, and other stimuli to which you will respond and therefore advance the story. Your characters, however, will have to make critical ethical choices on their own, and their decisions will have a decisive impact on the story.

• As a consequence of this storytelling structure, I will be intimately involved in the character-creation process. While you are free to determine your characters’ appearance, personality, and so on, there are certain plot roles that must be filled in this story, and I expect some of you to show flexibility in designing your characters in a way that accommodates those roles.

• A few things that should be clear from the lore, but that I want to make totally explicit: you are all academics, either professors or graduate students. Most of you will not know how to shoot a gun. No more than one of you will have military training. This is a story about people who end up in way over their heads, and you should embrace the role of the underdog: it'll make your narrow escapes and inspired breakthroughs that much more satisfying.

• All characters will have preexisting relationships as members of the same archaeological excavation. Those relationships should be especially fully developed between graduate students and their faculty advisers. Part of the purpose of this OOC is to flesh out those relationships before the RP starts.

• This RP places you in the awkward position of playing experts in fields in which you, the players, may have little training. I will ameliorate this not just by answering your questions in the OOC, but also by TGing you key knowledge that your characters will have to possess at particular moments, in order to understand what's being said. This means that certain IC developments will be cryptic to most of the players, until the individual whose character possesses the relevant knowledge posts to explain them. As a simple example, I will be including untranslated Latin in the IC, and then TGing the player whose character speaks Latin to provide the translation.

• While this is probably the most light-hearted RP I've ever run, it's still a grown-up story. There will be cursing, realistic violence, and - if you folks so choose - romance. But this is also NationStates, and the PG-13 rule applies. We have twelve-year-olds on these forums, guys. Don’t bring the mods down on me. Moreover, rules of good taste apply too. Don’t turn this into your chance to act out fantasies. That’s not the point. So this is a writing challenge, you see? Whenever possible, imply without spelling out; show don’t tell.

• Finally, have fun. These sorts of stories - the everyman hunted by a vast and sinister conspiracy, unraveling the mystery as he goes - are the heart of modern American popular entertainment. They have their own clichés, and you should feel free to play upon them. In short: if it doesn’t violate these rules, and it’s fun for you, then do it. It is that simple.

The Commandments

• We always do the stuff about me being OP, and my authoritaaah, and courtesy and self-control, and so on. I’m going to assume that if I let you in the door, you know all of this already. Don’t disappoint me.

• Keep it PG-13, or put the heavy stuff in clearly marked spoilers. Yes, this story may get dark sometimes. But there are twelve-year-olds on this forum. Bear that in mind.

• Keep an eye on the database and Dramatis Personae, where I will add relevant historical facts, clues, and characters as you encounter them. If you have a question about some detail of archaeology, religion, or history, then begin by Wikipedia-ing it. If that fails, then post your question here in the OOC. I will see it, and put the answer in the FAQs below. If it’s a really minor thing, just go ahead and make it up. I’ll let you know if there’s an issue.

• The plot for this story will be deeply shaped by player actions, but it will also deeply shape the options that are available to the players. Don’t wander off, create your own NPCs, and start telling your own subplots tangential to the main story. Trust me: every single PC has a vital role to play in this tale. I will provide give y'all plenty to do. Stick with me, people.

• Post whenever you can. I write long posts. I recognize that this is not always possible for everyone. If all you can manage is a ten-minute, two-paragraph post, then give me that. If the IC action is stalling, or I go MIA for a few days, start bantering conversations with your the other players – bounce posts back and forth, a few sentences apiece. Don’t let the need for quality paralyze you: quality and length are not the same thing. Write what you have time to write. Unwind and have fun!
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:57 am

DATABASE

• The Catacombs of Rome: ancient underground burial places under Rome, of which there are at least forty, some discovered only in recent decades. Beginning in the second century CE, Romans of all religious beliefs began to be buried in the catacombs in a response to overcrowding and land shortages. Because of Christian belief in the resurrection of the body, and consequent refusal to accept cremation, Christian burials are overrepresented in the catacombs, and this has made the catacombs a critical archeological resource for the study of the early Church: the tunnels contain most of the extant examples of early Christian art, and the tombs of many supposed saints.
Last edited by Reverend Norv on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:58 am

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

The Scholars

Non-Player Characters

• Dean Arthur GIDDES: Dean of faculty at Georgetown University, and a senior professor of medieval history. Popular for his dry wit and deep concern for the faculty's independence, he has sharp political elbows and a protective streak toward "his" professors. Age 59.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:58 am

ROLES AND APPLICATION

Character Creation

Due to the nature of the storytelling entailed by this RP, I will be more involved with the character creation process than would ordinarily be expected.

First, I am offering certain roles. These are characters with special knowledge and skills that make them especially important to the plot. Even if you choose to have your character fill a role, you are still free to craft that character however you please, provided that the character includes the role’s required traits. If you choose to have your character fill a role, please make sure that you do in fact have the time to RP consistently, since characters with roles will need to respond to particular events in order to advance the plot, and therefore require consistent player activity. Characters are not required to fill a role.

Second, even if your characters do not fill a role, I will consult with you closely in the character-creation process, and I may even ask you to make modifications. This is to ensure that your characters fit the larger atmosphere of the story, which involves ordinary people who end up in way over their heads.

Third, once your applications are accepted, I will ask you to start talking to other accepted players. Together, you will develop preexisting relationships between your characters that reflect the fact that they are all fellow members of a tight-knit academic group. These people are not strangers, meeting each other for the first time. They are coworkers who spend most of their waking hours together, teachers and students with important roles in each other's lives. By deciding what each PC thinks of the other PCs before the action starts, we can make our storytelling deeper and more realistic.

Fourth, if you chose to play as a graduate student, I will ask you to pick one of the faculty characters as your adviser. Grad students doing field work work closely with their advisers, and these relationships will add richness and texture to the storytelling. Pick a player and a character whom you find interesting, because you will be interacting with your adviser regularly in the IC. Moreover, you and the player behind your adviser should work out a particularly in-depth relationship between your two characters. No more than two grad students per adviser, please.

Finally, remember that your characters are the underdog. I will give you all the chance to do badass things, but they'll be even more badass because you are so clearly unqualified to do them. So keep a lid on your special forces veterans, martial arts whizzes, and suchlike.

Roles

• The Archaeologist: Either a faculty member or a grad student, this scholar specializes in hands-on archaeological techniques, with especial skill in the dating and verification of ancient artifacts. Expect to have me whispering in your ear when the group needs someone to help them find their way through a catacomb or identify the age of an inscription.

• The Linguist: Either a faculty member or a grad student, this scholar specializes in ancient and modern language, and is proficient in at least the following: Greek, Latin, and Hebrew, with limited skill in Russian and in either Turkish or Arabic. Expect to have me whispering in your ear whenever untranslated foreign languages appear in the IC.

• The Religious Scholar: Either a faculty member or a grad student, this scholar is an expert in religious history and doctrine, with especial skill in the Abrahamic faiths and early Christianity. Expect to have me whispering in your ear whenever arcane facts about holy relics or religious conflict become essential to the plot, which they will with greater frequency than you might expect.

• The Christian: Most likely a grad student, this scholar is a deeply personally pious Christian, though the denomination is up to the player. He or she may not be as expert in his or her faith tradition as the religious scholar, but will experience certain aspects of the plot through the lens of faith, and will have dreams that help the players advance the plot. He or she should also be struggling with some form of potentially serious chronic illness.

• The Muslim: Most likely a grad student, this scholar is a deeply personally pious Muslim of Near Eastern origin or extraction, proficient in Arabic and/or Turkish. He or she may not be as expert in his or her faith tradition as the religious scholar, but will experience certain aspects of the plot through the lens of faith, and will have dreams that help the players advance the plot.

The Application

Code: Select all
[b]Role, If Any:[/b]

[hr][/hr]

[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[hr][/hr]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Fears:[/b]

[b]Hobbies:[/b]

[b]Skills:[/b]

[b]Weaknesses:[/b]

[hr][/hr]

[b]Birthplace:[/b]

[b]Nationality:[/b]

[b]Ethnicity:[/b]

[b]Political Views:[/b]

[b]Sexuality:[/b]

[b]Religion:[/b]

[hr][/hr]

[b]Professor or Grad Student:[/b]

[b]Faculty Advisor, if Student:[/b]

[b]Education:[/b]

[b]Biography:[/b]

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:28 am

I have been waiting years for the next production. As always, well done.

Expect an app soon.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2014
Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:41 am

Hey, now. Where's my invite?
Friends call me "Rud."

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:42 am

I Am Here. Tempting to dibs on either a or the Archaeologist.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:51 am

Rudaslavia wrote:Hey, now. Where's my invite?

Heavens! My mistake. You are of course, as always, very welcome.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:21 am

All of my yeses. Not sure what role I'll take, or if indeed I'll take any role whatsoever since playing loose and unrestricted can be fun. I'll probably wait until I come up with a good character idea and run that by you first if you don't mind Norv before I start on an app proper.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Rudaslavia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2014
Corporate Police State

Postby Rudaslavia » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:30 am

I'm considering the idea of playing as a descendent of a Nazi archeologist/Ahnenerbe member, whose revulsion by his family's fascistic ties makes him particularly resistant to "ground-breaking" theories in his field. He views many of these ideas as conspiracy theories, no better than the pseudoscience of Nordicism.
Friends call me "Rud."

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:57 pm

Rupudska wrote:I Am Here. Tempting to dibs on either a or the Archaeologist.

Just call out which you want, and I'll hold it until you get reliable wi-fi.

Lunas Legion wrote:All of my yeses. Not sure what role I'll take, or if indeed I'll take any role whatsoever since playing loose and unrestricted can be fun. I'll probably wait until I come up with a good character idea and run that by you first if you don't mind Norv before I start on an app proper.

Always happy to be a sounding board for character ideas. Feel free to bounce any my way; it's not a bad thing to keep a young OOC as busy as possible.

Rudaslavia wrote:I'm considering the idea of playing as a descendent of a Nazi archeologist/Ahnenerbe member, whose revulsion by his family's fascistic ties makes him particularly resistant to "ground-breaking" theories in his field. He views many of these ideas as conspiracy theories, no better than the pseudoscience of Nordicism.

That's a very interesting idea. If the character's middle-aged, the Nazi ancestor could even have been his father, which would explain the intensity of his response. And it'll provide a great dynamic as the plot gets somewhat more occult. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:49 pm

In that case I will take an archaeologist as I said over Discord.
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Rupudska wrote:In that case I will take an archaeologist as I said over Discord.

Sounds good! Obviously, this should not be taken to mean that no one else can play as an archaeologist: there tends to be more than one of them on a dig, after all.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:35 am

I keep forgetting to give this my wholehearted approval, but I do! I will finish the first substantive part of my thesis soon, and then I'll throw in an app.
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:37 am

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:I keep forgetting to give this my wholehearted approval, but I do! I will finish the first substantive part of my thesis soon, and then I'll throw in an app.

Splendid! Looking forward to it.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:12 pm

Role, If Any: Archaeologist

Name: Dr. Mary Blackburn

Appearance: Absolutely tiny at barely 5'2", which only seems to exaggerate her already curvaceous frame. She manages to keep trim largely due to winter activities - skiing, snowboarding, winter hiking and camping, along with the occasional hunting. Summer and the heat that goes with it is when Dr. Blackburn prefers to either work on archaeological endeavors or laze about, playing video games or researching indoors.

Personality: Has a very relaxed attitude most of the time, almost to the point of perceived laziness. She has been quoted at one point of saying that she "puts great effort into enabling [her] laziness." At the university she even plays this up on the first day of class as a trap, before switching to a much more no-nonsense one on the second day where she teaches in an almost STEM-like manner, but with a much more forgiving mindset towards (most) students. Has a tendency to get absorbed in research, only to go off on a tangent and research something completely different and only marginally related. Doesn't usually tolerate unprofessional behavior when in class or actively working on the worksite, but calls anyone who wears a jacket at temperatures over 45 degrees Fahrenheit a sissy and drinks cider, maple whiskey and beer like water. Yells at people on the streets of Washington while honking her horn like a New Yorker, she claims she can get away with it firstly because she is from Vermont, secondly because she is a good driver, and thirdly because Washingtonian drivers truly are of Homo Habilis levels of intelligence.

Fears: Fears head injury to an almost excessive degree. Anywhere a head injury is a likely occurrence, Dr. Blackburn will wear her helmet with the Air Force style eye shield, complete with stickers in red and gold 'identifying' her as 'Centurion 01'. If she has to go anywhere that may require camouflage, she wears a green Brodie helmet. She also has a fear of deep water, for this reason she avoids swimming in water too deep to see the bottom of.

Hobbies: Dr. Blackburn is an avid alpine skiier and is skilled at many other forms of winter sports, all of which she enjoys. She occasionally dabbles in reenacting, though she rarely has the time for it. She plays video games but not to anything close to a competitive level, not out of lack of skill but again, lack of time, and because playing them often ends up just giving her more ideas of things to research.

Skills: She is a decent shot with most simpler firearms (most notably muskets) and is capable of getting a firing solution with black powder artillery almost all on her own. One of the better drivers among the staff, and one of the youngest adults in America to actually know how to drive a stickshift. A skilled equestrian, though she is long since out of practice - this is partly due to some of her research involves 'research via reenacting', so obviously she'd need some skills like the Romans would have. A fine chef, though she tends to overuse maple. Speaks English, Latin, Greek, and French, though her French is distinctly Canadian in nature.

Weaknesses: A subpar diver, who struggles in currents any serious diver would consider manageable. Thinks she knows modern Greek better than she actually does. Thinks she knows how to use modern firearms better than she does. Tends to ignore world politics as she considers it both depressing and largely irrelevant to her field until the point when it interferes directly with her research, at which point she gets pissy.

Birthplace: Woodstock, Vermont

Nationality: American

Ethnicity: English

Political Views: After spending much of her childhood largely following along her parent's political whims (up until they settled deeper into Communism), she spent much of her life drifting among political views, before settling on something vaguely resembling a fusion of classical liberalism and monarchism - suppose if Thomas Jefferson was more tolerant of kings. She is still, however, incredibly liberal on many social matters.

Sexuality: Pansexual

Religion: Debatably Episcopalian Christian

Professor or Grad Student: Professor
Faculty Advisor, if Student:

Education:
  • Bachelors in Classical Civilization, Yale University (first two at University of Vermont)
  • (Left uncompleted) Masters in Early Modern European History, Yale University
  • Masters in Archaeological Studies, Yale University
  • Doctorate in Anthropology (focusing on Imperial Rome), Yale University

Biography: "My childhood was interesting to say the least - my parents, despite being avowed hippies and socialists [most of the time], were both almost excessively wealthy. My father, David Blackburn, is a neurosurgeon of some renown who had ended up graduating Harvard at some point with a degree somehow, which was impressive considering he spent much of the 60s and into the 70s baked out of his mind. Mom is a biochemist, ironically putting chemicals in the same foods she likely protested against when young. Though at least she doesn't work for Monsanto, and her work involves creating safer pesticides, not sterile wheat."

"They literally lived on a dairy commune, at least until I was old enough for eleventh grade since none of the other adults had the credentials to get me past that level without state education. Which the commune didn't have. While there, my parents (and sometimes me as well) tried just about every alternative lifestyle legal under Vermont law, and some that probably weren't, but those they didn't involve me in. Occasionally we would take long trips overseas - the mountains of Europe and Peru, the great wide plains of Kenya and Kazakhstan, and the deserts of Australia and India. Christmas was either spent with the commune or with my grandparents, depending on my father's mood - mom's were both dead by the time I was born, and dad's were both conservative even by non-hippie standards. Grandad taught me to shoot and relegated stories of Korea and the early days of Vietnam to me."

"I remember the year before we officially left it, they both took a year-long 'retirement' to go traveling around the Mediterranean, taking me with them. I think it was then that I fell in love with Rome, staring up at the ancient splendor of the Coliseum, completely ignoring my mother going on and on on the phone about how it was the most purified example of all that was wrong with the Roman government. The experimenting with alternative lifestyles mostly stopped after that, as it was clear to my parents that most of them hadn't stuck - apart from my only eating (mostly) organic food, nudism, and wanderlust. Like my mother, I don't care much about GMOs, so long as they aren't Monsanto. Oh, and cannabis, but I never have and never will show up to work baked. My scheduling is too good for that."

"Afterwards, we moved from the commune to Lexington, Massachusetts, as dad got a job at Mass General - he made it very clear he had no intention of subjecting me or Mother to the horrors of Bostonian life. From what Lexington was like, and from the brief experience of Homo massanus I got from riding the MTA to and from Bruins, Celics, and Red Sox games, I can't help but agree with his opinion. Sports and history are the only reasons I go back to Massachusetts at all - it is where my alma mater is, and where I first got interested in the era of the musket which is my second favorite historical period."

"We had enough money that I didn't have to live on campus at Vermont or at Yale, but I did anyway when I was at Vermont, and the first year at Yale - my dorm floor being invaded by a screeching sorority in my second year finally convinced me to move out, which did wonders for my levels of privacy and how well my studying went, may I add. I did some experimenting of my own with relationships; at one point I was in a five-person polyamourous relationship that fell apart when one of the two men transferred out to Miami (the one in Ohio) to be closer to his parents. Not long after, both of my grandparents died within a week of each other. I got a good chunk of money to ease the burden on my parents and myself for paying for Yale, as well as most of their furniture. Apparently Grandad still didn't trust Dad after accidentally destroying a pecan cabinet while moving it when he was fourteen. Either that or it was when he joined the American Communist Party for almost a year and a half after we moved to Lexington. It was the start of my 'collection' one might say, of old furniture. I don't know, I've always felt furniture with a history works best for me."

"By the time I was nearly done with my thesis, I was already set on at least starting work as a professor; get a few research papers out while working for one university or another before I aimed for the big leagues - the Ivys. Not Yale though. I'll root for them during the Game and in football and all, but campus politics had left me all Yaled out, especially when I ended up with several of the most hardassed professors in Connecticut. I already had a few digs in Spain, Italy, and Croatia under my belt by then, so I was confident I could at least get my foot in the door at a state college somewhere, hopefully somewhere warm for a good part of the year. I prepared to quit my managerial position at the bookstore/cafe I had called my place of employment for all but a few weeks of my time in New Haven."

"Imagine my shock when Georgetown, of all places, accepted. Even I hadn't seriously considered having a chance ending up here, but I was more than willing to accept. I moved to a lovely colonial out on the coast of Maryland less than an hour from campus, and I've been one of the archaeology professors here ever since."
Last edited by Rupudska on Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 am

Hey Rup, wanna take on a grad student?
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Sounds fine to me, but my app is still very much under construction so.
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

Constaniana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 10, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Constaniana » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:44 pm

I'm intrigued by the idea. I'm thinking of doing a linguist.
Join Elementals 3, one of P2TM's oldest high fantasy roleplays, full of adventure, humour, and saving the world. Winner of the Best High Fantasy RP of P2TM twice in a row Choo Choo
Pro: Jesus Christ, Distributism, The Shire, House Atreides
Anti: The Antichrist, Communism, Mordor, House Harkonnen
Ameriganastan wrote:I work hard to think of those ludicrous Eric adventure stories, but I don't think I'd have come up with rescuing a three armed alchemist from goblin-monkeys in a million years.

Kudos.

Reverend Norv
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:58 am

A linguist sounds great, Const. Welcome! And your app looks good so far, Rup: I look forward to reading the bio.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:09 am

Role, If Any: "I'm here for the credit hours, my dude."

Name: "My name is Ed Colfax. In full, Edward James Colfax."

Gender: "I would have to say male. Heh, I've gotta give this question a chuckle."

Appearance:

Personality:

Fears:

Hobbies: "I'm a guy who likes getting out into the open wilderness, as opposed to a loud party. Hiking and camping with friends, going out hunting in the Rockies or the Smokies - that's me. Diving into water - whether it be a fifty-meter competition pool, Lake Michigan, or the Atlantic Ocean - and swimming long laps or following a predetermined path. Swimming has always provided me with a sense of mild catharsis. I can dive in, let the muscle memory do the work for me, and my mind can drift off and free-associate. I'm a man who loves his beer and whiskey, and I can thrive in an atmosphere of warmth, good friends, better food, and hearty stories."

Skills: "First off, I'll start with my profession and the skills associated with them. I'm a civil engineer, ABET-accredited with my Bachelor's Degree accrued through no more than six different institutions. Structures are my primary interest, particularly subterranean structures. As an Associate Engineer with Burris-Young Mining in 2016, I drew out the plans for, and oversaw the construction of the Branca-Gerais Mine of Santa Isabel do Rio Negro, in the Amazon Rain Forest of Brazil. My largest project to date, albeit one that has caused me a fair share of issues. Other than mines, I built bridges, water towers, and other public works and infrastructure projects in central Mexico, Kosovo, and several other places around the world. That means I can analyze and concoct plans and outlines for real-world applications, if you want me to sound like a kiss-ass about myself."

"You can put a pen and paper in front of me, and I can lay out building plans, but I've done my fair share working on site, in the dirt and sweat. My grandfather taught me, around six or seven, how to work with basic tools; to nail down boards and stack bricks. The pair of us worked on the old mountain house that my grandparents owned, out near Blowing Rock. When I wasn't in the pool/school as a teenager, I took part-time jobs working in wood and metal shops as an apprentice worker. That's just my youth, but trust me, I can work with tools and materials. I've got two welding certs - one for diving, and one for just general welding work."

"In addition to my engineering work, I have had a passion for scuba diving since my teenage years, when my father and I took our first lessons together. I have acquired a number of dive certifications and ratings over the years, enough to be rated as a Dive Master and Instructor. Earned training in Rescue Diving and did a stint with the Wilmington Fire Department as a recovery diver, before moving into salvage/wreck diving. Diving helped me to pay for my education after everything that happened with my family, so you better bet I'm worth my salt in a diving rig. I've explored three Civil War-era steamships, a German U-Boat from the First World War, and God-knows-how-many commercial vessels. I can weld underwater and do advanced technical work for extended periods of time. It also helps that I have been married to the water as long as I have been alive; used to be a damn good competitive swimmer."

"Ask my professors - I'm no classroom guy. I long to be outside, not cramped up in some musty building that hasn't seen a major renovation in thirty years. My grad studies here at Georgetown, coupled with my odd work-from-home consultancy gigs that pop up from time to time, keep me tethered to a chair on most good days. I get out when I can, be it a drive out to the North Carolina Apps south of the Virginia border - or the odd dive at Virginia Beach. Immersive experiences are my drug of choice, nowadays, and D.C. is full of triggers that either keep me in a bottle when I'm at my apartment, or have my doing a quick lapse back to cocaine. I'm thirty-one, but I have been to eleven different countries and lived a plethora of different lives; I pretty much live - inadvertently - by Carpe Diem."

"I fancy the outdoors, gained an appreciation for an open sky above my head as a kid. My parents often took me camping on weekends down in Linville Gorge, or Pisgah, and all over the Appalachians here in North Carolina. Parental supervision in the woods surrounding Blowing Rock disappeared by the time I turned ten, and by eleven, my friends and I were hiking and camping when there was little else to do. I was almost expelled from high school for ditching class to go hunt. We had very little, very often. Picked up ways and hints to stay alive overnight in the woods, with my grandfather feeding me stories of primal survival from his time in the island jungles of the South Pacific. Since then, I've taken advantage of hiking and camping in different countries, and wildly different environments from the rolling mountains and pine forests of my youth."

"Survival. Let's talk about why I'm not dead yet; personally, I accrue it to the natural human desire to not die, and I can safely say that there are plenty of opportunities in life in which I should have been killed. After nearly bleeding out in a dark forest at sixteen in a bad car accident, I began my research on first aid. I don't know how to conduct complex surgeries or reattach blood vessels, but I can dig out shallow objects intruding the body, stitch up holes, make tourniquets, and do whatever it takes to keep people alive until the paramedics show up. I know how to shoot a gun; learned as a kid, hunted all my life with long guns, and gained a little bit of training with more high-deal shit from my stint at Annapolis, when I wanted to be a Marine. I can throw a punch and fight like a devil, but I don't block often. Point is, I can take care of me."

Weaknesses:

Birthplace: "I was born in Boone, North Carolina. Raised in Blowing Rock, about twenty or thirty minutes from Boone."

Nationality: "American, as long as I've been alive."

Ethnicity: "Good ole Anglo-Scots-Irish. Believe me, I've checked."

Political Views:

Sexuality:

Religion:

Professor or Grad Student: Graduate Student.

Faculty Advisor, if Student:

Education:

Biography:

In the works, milord.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:34 am

Some attention for this would be positively dandy, if only to ensure people don't forget it.
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:16 pm

I am still in it; just had some more work than usual.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Rupudska » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Ready for molding, if anything the most likely thing to be changed is her age, though I do intend for Dr. Blackburn to be a very new professor if not the newest one with a doctorate. Complete with that new doctorate smell.
Best thread ever.

Questers wrote:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse