NATION

PASSWORD

Dunkirk lets people ride the bus for free, people are happy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Blue Lives Matter More
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 12
Founded: Dec 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Blue Lives Matter More » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Duhon wrote:I like how this attempt to spread good cheer by cheering other people became a bloody morass of selfishness in a few pages. Way to go, NSG.

It wouldn't be NSG otherwise, no?

Regarding OP, will this be the Pepsi can the Yellow Vests need? I think so.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]
~"Because The Most Oppressed Peoples of The 20th Century Are The Ones With A Badge."~
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Duhon
Senator
 
Posts: 4421
Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Telconi wrote:
Olerand wrote:Right... The imposition of some American libertarian's views on an issue relating to the French city of Dunkerque's buses... Anyway...


This would be reasonable if it came from someone who didn't operate on the explicitly stated belief that French views were objectively correct...


This would be reasonable if anyone from Dunkirk is complaining about where their taxes are going.

User avatar
Valrifell
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31611
Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Valrifell » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Blue Lives Matter More wrote:
Duhon wrote:I like how this attempt to spread good cheer by cheering other people became a bloody morass of selfishness in a few pages. Way to go, NSG.

It wouldn't be NSG otherwise, no?

Regarding OP, will this be the Pepsi can the Yellow Vests need? I think so.


I hate that I understand this.

Also it probably won't be, the Yellow Vests are primarily in Paris (as all good rioting Frenchmen are) so they will not be placated.
T H E U N I O N O F F R A T E R N A L S O C I A L I S T L A B O R C O L L E C T I V E S
Perpetually haunted by the futures that never were and tortured by the futures that may yet be

User avatar
Telconi
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34903
Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Duhon wrote:
Telconi wrote:
This would be reasonable if it came from someone who didn't operate on the explicitly stated belief that French views were objectively correct...


This would be reasonable if anyone from Dunkirk is complaining about where their taxes are going.


I imagine someone in Dunkirk is. But, it really isn't functional to how reasonable my post was.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

User avatar
Blue Lives Matter More
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 12
Founded: Dec 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Blue Lives Matter More » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Blue Lives Matter More wrote:It wouldn't be NSG otherwise, no?

Regarding OP, will this be the Pepsi can the Yellow Vests need? I think so.


I hate that I understand this.

Also it probably won't be, the Yellow Vests are primarily in Paris (as all good rioting Frenchmen are) so they will not be placated.

Can't wait for the Gilets Jaunes or whatever to storm the Bastille French Parliament, only to see Macron has had a change of heart and is letting all citizens of France ride the bus for free.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]
~"Because The Most Oppressed Peoples of The 20th Century Are The Ones With A Badge."~
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Olerand
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13169
Founded: Sep 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Olerand » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:29 pm

Telconi wrote:
Olerand wrote:Right... The imposition of some American libertarian's views on an issue relating to the French city of Dunkerque's buses... Anyway...


This would be reasonable if it came from someone who didn't operate on the explicitly stated belief that French views were objectively correct...

As I have explained numerous times, to you, to others, and to you again; I correctly call Republicans far-right because they are far-right everywhere in the developed world. I didn't make it so, they did.

If I applied French standards everywhere, I would label the British Conservatives, who support economically liberal policies that no political party in France supports, hard or radical right. But I don't. They're just right. We lean left economically and socially, Britain leans right, and they're still on the right.
Republicans are far-right, and that is by their design, and through the standards of every other developed country. I didn't make it so, so no point in complaining to me about it.

What I refuse to do is to apply American metrics to everyone else. When something is far-right everywhere, it's far-right everywhere.
French citizen. Still a Socialist Party member. Ségolène Royal 2019, I guess Actually I might vote la France Insoumise.

Qui suis-je?:
Free Rhenish States wrote:You're French, without faith, probably godless, liberal without any traditional values or respect for any faith whatsoever

User avatar
Kalosia
Minister
 
Posts: 3368
Founded: Jan 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kalosia » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:06 pm

Is it weird that I almost want to fly to Dunkirk just to try the public transportation?

I love the idea of this and hope more cities can adopt this concept, though I know it'll never happen where I live. We pay to get on the commuter train and even then it's so crowded, it makes a tin of sardines feel like vast, empty space.
Mediterranea > Mediterra > Kalosia
/kə'loʊʒɑː/ (english) /kɑː'lɒsiːɑː/ (kalosian)
Factbook | Official Website

WorldVision Song Contest results
World Hit Festival results (incomplete)

User avatar
Olerand
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13169
Founded: Sep 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Olerand » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Kalosia wrote:Is it weird that I almost want to fly to Dunkirk just to try the public transportation?

I love the idea of this and hope more cities can adopt this concept, though I know it'll never happen where I live. We pay to get on the commuter train and even then it's so crowded, it makes a tin of sardines feel like vast, empty space.

It is quite weird to want to go to Dunkerque yes.
French citizen. Still a Socialist Party member. Ségolène Royal 2019, I guess Actually I might vote la France Insoumise.

Qui suis-je?:
Free Rhenish States wrote:You're French, without faith, probably godless, liberal without any traditional values or respect for any faith whatsoever

User avatar
Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20487
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:22 am

Olerand wrote:
Kalosia wrote:Is it weird that I almost want to fly to Dunkirk just to try the public transportation?

I love the idea of this and hope more cities can adopt this concept, though I know it'll never happen where I live. We pay to get on the commuter train and even then it's so crowded, it makes a tin of sardines feel like vast, empty space.

It is quite weird to want to go to Dunkerque yes.

Got to imagine it's got some pull as a historical locale.

User avatar
Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11147
Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:31 am

Olerand wrote:
Telconi wrote:
This would be reasonable if it came from someone who didn't operate on the explicitly stated belief that French views were objectively correct...

As I have explained numerous times, to you, to others, and to you again; I correctly call Republicans far-right because they are far-right everywhere in the developed world. I didn't make it so, they did.

Why should we use worldwide classification to describe America?
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

User avatar
Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9290
Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Tahar Joblis » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:04 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Sause

It has been one month since Dunkirk became the largest European city to provide free public transportation to the masses – and it has had an amazing impact on the community.

All of the buses in the French city are free for visitors and residents to use. The fleet includes 140 buses, many of which run on green energy sources and have free WiFi.

Since the city of 200,000 adopted the buses, they have become community hotspots for trivia events, social activities, and even celebrity appearances.

Studies have shown that in addition to reducing air pollution within the port city limits, free public transit has increased mobility amongst older and younger residents and increased feelings of freedom.


“I never used the bus before,” one passenger told The Guardian. “It was too much bother getting tickets or a pass. Now I leave the car at home and take the bus to and from work. It’s so easy.”

The news outlet goes on to say that passenger numbers have increased between 50% to 85%, depending on the route. Passengers have also taken advantage of the public spaces by having more conversations with strangers.

Legislators and scientists hope that – with a little more research to back it up – the initiative’s success may inspire other cities to follow suit.


Holy shit, NSG is just hot right now with stories of riots and possible wars.

Well, here is some shocking news:

Sometimes good things can happen.

Bus rides are free and everyone likes it.

I like when things turn out ok.

What say you nsg?

My hometown went through a similar experience.

Like most cities, it was losing money on the bus system. The "obvious" choice was either to hike up fares again, cut service, or scrap the bus system, and too many other things rely on the bus system for service reduction to be a genuinely good idea.

So they bit the bullet and made it free. This reduced the operating expenses of the bus system significantly, since they didn't have to deal with the expenses of managing fare payments (printing passes, collecting large numbers of quarters in bins, making sure bus drivers aren't skimming the till et cetera. The city would never be able to pretend the bus system would pay for itself with revenue, but the actual net cost to the city didn't change much.

Ridership went way up, which means that as a public service provided by the city, the system got much better.

User avatar
Chestaan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6975
Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:48 am

As carbon credits become more prevalent, large scale initiatives like this might have a significant financial benefit.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

User avatar
Rio Cana
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10769
Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:59 am

They have free public transportation here. Its a "integrated municipal transport". It runs from 6am to 6 pm from Monday to Friday. In all, six routes are served. I think the buses, not that big, come every half hour to one hour. In the center of town its more frequent since all the six routes meet at the same place.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kasdados, Kuromistan, Orlavia, Outer Armatonisdaristan, Serdtgyu, Threlizdun, Washington Resistance Army, Yorsa II, Yuzhnya

Advertisement

Remove ads