NATION

PASSWORD

Legends And Men [Heroes & Legends Reloaded | OOC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:00 pm

OP - I am thinking about going instead with someone original. And I have a few ideas...

Wondered about 1) a guy with a robotic suit, 2) a guy who can lock the synapses of others and make their muscles not work (and I'd like that to happen to multiple targets and not just a single target) and 3) a person with a physicality of a Mythical beast.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:06 pm

First and last seem possible without really changing anything with the ideas tbh. We've had tech based characters before. And being a super genius that can build power armor is considered a power. As for the second one the restrictions would probably depend on how it works. If you go for multiple people being targeted by the ability it would need more drawbacks, obviously. Maybe something to do with the amount of time it takes to work and the chance to escape for it. But if you can only target one person it would have a higher success rate, possibly. I think that could be a good way to balance it.
don't tread on me

Tasuirin
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tasuirin » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Forest State wrote:
Tasuirin wrote:snip

Accepted.

Thanking you!
IC'ly, Tasuirin is:
An Absolute Monarchy, A Federal Monarchy, Neo-Feudalistic, Anti-Democratic, Mercantilist, Five Kingdoms, Ruled by One King
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ASEXUAL~ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ☭ ★ ☭ ★ ☭ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ATHEIST ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ CELTIC ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ AUSTRALIAN ⋅.} ──── ⊰

Shark isle
Senator

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shark isle » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:27 pm

Would it be ok if my guy used to be a "Gentleman Thief" sort of character? You know, steal from wealthy criminals give to the poor, that kind of thing.

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:29 pm

Shark isle wrote:Would it be ok if my guy used to be a "Gentleman Thief" sort of character? You know, steal from wealthy criminals give to the poor, that kind of thing.

As long as there's some time between him being a hero and a criminal since the Syndicate isn't really supposed to hire people that steal, even if they did it for a good reason.
don't tread on me

Talchyon
Negotiator

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:14 pm

If I do go with a tech suit guy, can I have multiple tech abilities with it (like, sensors + guns + flight, etc.)?
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:18 pm

Talchyon wrote:If I do go with a tech suit guy, can I have multiple tech abilities with it (like, sensors + guns + flight, etc.)?

You can. It's one of the more flexible abilities. As long as they aren't individually overpowered you should be able to be decently versatile.
don't tread on me

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Arengin Union » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Let me give a superhero RP another go.
"I do as I please"
-King Abraham Markev final words before jumping into a cage to fight a lion.

Proud member of the Federation of Allies

Shark isle
Senator

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shark isle » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:01 pm

Forest State wrote:
Shark isle wrote:Would it be ok if my guy used to be a "Gentleman Thief" sort of character? You know, steal from wealthy criminals give to the poor, that kind of thing.

As long as there's some time between him being a hero and a criminal since the Syndicate isn't really supposed to hire people that steal, even if they did it for a good reason.

Don't worry, he has been out of the thieving game for three years. He is wanting to walk the "straight and narrow". Though, he still wants to fight organized crime.
Last edited by Shark isle on Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:08 pm

An app.

VANGUARD (RAY MALLEY)

"Protecting the world, one day at a time."

VITALS

Name: Ray Malley
Nickname/Alias: Vanguard
Appearance:

Build: 5'10, 210 lbs. (1.778 m, 95.24 kg)

Primary Ability:
  • Robotic Suit - Having no "super powers" of his own, everything Ray can do comes through his robotic constructions (made from his brilliant mind.)

Other Abilities:
  • Energy Blast - Out of the hands, feet, back and chest, a powerful energy weapon can blast out. This weapon cannot destroy a car on impact, let alone a tank. But it can severely damage a car. It would take a good thirty blasts or so to destroy a tank.
  • Arsenal - The Vanguard suit can also fire automatic rifles (in the wrists) and a laser (in the shoulders). The laser can be used to cut through metal, but takes a considerably long amount of time.
  • Rocket Flight - Normally hidden, jets can extend from the waist and outer legs. Flight is fast, equal to a jet. Ray can also use the jets to hover in mid-air.
  • Sensor Array - The Vanguard suit can see in infrared, ultraviolet, and can detect radiation levels, as well as measure decibels. Comes equipped with radar.
  • Force Field - The Vanguard suit can create a shield-size worth of an energy barrier to prevent damage. It can protect Ray and the suit from a speeding car.
  • Atmospheric Adaptation - In deep space, the Vanguard suit can last an hour. Underwater, the Vanguard suit can last two hours. Because of this, there is a pressurized cabin, oxygen converters,
  • Robotic Strength - The strength of the Vanguard suit is capable of lifting up to 2 tons. At least, that's how much Ray has tested it at so far.
  • Autopilot - Ray can turn on the autopilot after programming the suit where to go. Sometimes Ray has taken a quick nap on the way.
  • Magnetic boots - Powerful electromagnets run through the Vanguard boots. That makes Ray in his suit able to stand on anything metal even at high speeds.
  • Computer hook up - Ray can access the internet in the Vanguard suit.
  • Tool Systems - A wide variety of tools are also equipped, especially in the fingers and chest. Ray can use these tools to make various repairs, fix things, dismantle machines by removing screws or bolts, you name it.
  • Vanguard Initialization - If Ray is out of the Vanguard suit, he has it designed so "suiting up" takes only a few moments.

Power Drawbacks:
  • No weapons can be fired simultaneously. Ray can fire either the energy blast, or the machine gun, or the laser - but not all at once.
  • No weapons can be fired in flight. Ray can fire weapons during the VTOL hover stage though.
  • Flight needs fuel. While Ray carries enough fuel for at least three hours of flight, fuel is expensive and the Syndicate prefers for financial reasons that he not fly unless he has to.
  • Targeting takes an initial set-up to do (so Ray can't just blast away and hit for sure, without turning targeting on).
  • There will be times he can't get a good target. Having a targeting system doesn't always "work," especially in times of electronic or severe magnetic interference.
  • The Vanguard sensors are also susceptible to failure during extreme electronic or severe magnetic interference.
  • If the Vanguard suit has taken 75% damage, targeting shuts down. Sensors (like radar and infrared) fail at 90% damage, with energy being converted to life support systems.
  • The Force shield is roughly medieval shield-sized. It won't block huge attacks. Some may be able to get through.
  • Ray can only shield in one direction at a time. No shields both in front or in back, both to the left and to the right.
  • Internet access is not possible in places where a normal computer wouldn't be able to access the web (rural areas without cell phone towers).
  • The Robotic Strength takes so much effort, that lifting the Vanguard suit's max will divert all energy to that system, except a little for life support and slow flight.
  • Tool Systems can't be used at the same time as weapons.
  • EMP blasts will affect the Vanguard suit. Ray loses his automatic rifle and laser, his internet, and fast speed flight (though he can still fly). If Ray is hit with an EMP blast, a backup power supply kicks in, that operates at about 30% efficiency for roughly ten minutes.

Equipment: Ray has access not only to the Vanguard suit, but also to a Syndicate-sponsored robotics lab where he can make repairs and potential upgrades. State of the art - and beyond - the labs have everything a robotics designer could want. Of course, it all costs and some of the accountants and higher-ups don't always like their budget going to research and development.
Ray also drives a mid-sized sedan.

DETAILS

Nationality: British
Hometown: London
Sexuality: Male (doesn't see a difference between sexuality and gender. Your sex is that you are a male or a female)

Biggest Flaw:
Main Skills: Robotics; Electronics; Tactics; Area knowledge of London; Ray can also figure out unfamiliar technology at a quicker rate than others.

Personality: Logical; Driven; In some ways kind of a workaholic. While he can and does interact with people regularly, Ray would rather be spending time in the lab coming up with advancements for his tech.

Biography: Ray Malley was an advanced student in his private schools growing up in London, especially in the areas of math, science and engineering. A rising academic star, Ray had his future all planned out. He would go to Oxford, get his degree, do grad school in engineering, and then get a job at some expensive tech firm doing what he loved best - designing and enhancing machines.

All that changed the 2nd year of grad school. Given an assignment he could not refuse, Ray and his doctoral father were tasked by the British military to come up with a mechanized suit for one individual that could replace tanks. Ray put much effort into the designs and construction. The prototype had been built and was waiting testing. They named it "the Vanguard." But at the last minute, new regents on the university board cut the project due to the rising costs connected with it. Ray's supervisor, Dr. Stephens, did not take it well. So Dr. Stephens stole the suit and set out to prove the regents wrong.

He was going to interrupt a board meeting, by running a full test on the Vanguard suit. In this way, Stephens hoped to show the regents why their invention needed the final approval and funding to go ahead. But something went terribly wrong. Somehow, a wiring connection had gotten loose, and the Vanguard suit in flight couldn't brake. Stephens tried overriding it, but to no avail. The only way Stephens could think to stop the rocket propelled death chamber was by diving the suit into the Thames. And it worked. Kind of. But because the design had not anticipated going underwater, by the time Ray could remotely send a program to release the suit's fuel into the river and the now still Vanguard suit could be fished out of the river, Stephens was found to be dead inside it.

The regents were embarrassed at the loss of one of their prestigious faculty members. They insisted that the suit be dismantled, against Ray's protests. But the board's decisions held firm. Before dismantling the suit that had killed his supervisor, Ray copied and then erased all the schematics and design they had done. The suit was deconstructed. Temporarily.

However, Dr. Stephens' stunt caught the attention of the Syndicate. Hearing that Stephens' assistant, Ray Malley, had worked on the suit and could make it, they approached him with the offer to work for them. They would finance a state-of-the-art robotics lab for Ray to build in. And Ray would help defend London - and the world - as a member of the Syndicate. Likewise, Ray was also in charge of designing other enhancements that would help the Syndicate. He took the job. Ray rebuilt the Vanguard suit - repairing what had gone wrong before in Dr. Stephens' only try, and this time, installing a pressurized cabin. After several tests, the suit was ready to be used. And Ray has been donning the suit for several years now as a result. As for his other tech advancements, Ray has come through, delivering pieces of high tech for the rest of the members.

#HLApp
Last edited by Talchyon on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Khasinkonia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Khasinkonia » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:40 am

EIRÁ OKTALEASIIOLLU

"You’ve heard of people who make you question your sexuality, but have you ever met someone who can make your sexuality into quantum physics?"

VITALS

Name: Eirá Oktaleasiiollu
Nickname/Alias: Sealla(Used when referring to or speaking to more than one Eirá, in essence, a plural, or used referencing Eirá’s body specifically)
Appearance:
The Prime Sealla refer to the quintet of Sealla which seem to be a nervous system of sorts, and are, unlike some less central bodies, are always uniquely lucid and seem to be Eirá’s primary bodies.

EiráN(ⁿ) "They/Them"

EiráF(ᶠ) "She/Her"

EiráM(ᵐ) "He/Him"

FEiráM(ᶠᵐ) "He/Him"

MEiráF(ᵐᶠ) "She/Her"
The Sealla are, for lack of a better term, Eirá’s supplementary bodies, being the ‘drones’ of their hive-mind. The Sealla may not be as immediately lucid, as they’re more distant connections, but Eirá will remedy it when spoken to, or when they hear a conversation they desire to join in on.

Sealla 1 “Minjeong Rhee”(¹) "He/Him"

Sealla 3(³) "She/Her"

Sealla 4(⁴) "He/Him"

Sealla 5(⁵) "She/Her"

Sealla 6(⁶) "He/Him" or "They/Them"

Sealla 7(⁷) "She/Her" or "They/Them"

Gender: Results may vary. "They/Them" applies in a general sense.
Build: Generally between 5' and 6', and between 100 and 150 pounds
Primary Ability: Eirá’s primary ability is conceptually very simple. Each Sealla functions as much as an individual cell within a larger organism as it does a body. This provides Sealla with an important ability: Fission. Any body of Eirá’s is able to divide in two, given enough supplies. Further, for the new body, Eirá is able to doctor the genome in a number of ways, particularly with regards to hormone makeup and bone structure, although each genetic edit requires extra calories at least, and, at most, ingestion of specific genetic material for integration.

Other Abilities: As a being with multiple bodies, Eirá qualifies as a hive-mind. All the Sealla(Eirá’s bodies) are connected through space as one consciousness, with separate unconscious functions such as memory processing, internal systems maintenance, etc. While the nature of how this connection works is yet unknown, there are two main theories among Syndicate scientists, reflecting the two subdivisions of superpowers. The biological hypothesis suggests that quantum entanglement somehow links each mind together as one, although this theory holds the major flaws of suggesting quantum entanglements on a massive scale, as well as failing to explain the nature of this singular consciousness occupying multiple bodies. The magical hypothesis, on the other hand, suggests that Eirá’s consciousness defies Newtonian physics thanks to it being magical in nature, using connection to a magic plane to manipulate and interact with the world to maintain the link between all of their bodies. Eirá themself has responded to these theories stating: “I haven’t consciously accessed any magic plane, though that doesn’t mean I’m not using it. I don’t know whether either is correct, but if the magic plane thing is true, it’d be pretty cool.”

Power Drawbacks: Being that fission is a biological process, and not plane-based, Eirá needs to ingest and store enough to make an entire copy or edited copy of a body in the body that will replicate. This means that the fission process takes on average about 26 days to complete, being that one of Eirá’s bodies can ingest 5lbs of food per day, and the average Sealla body weighs 130lbs, although there is significant potential range, with larger bodies potentially taking over a month, and dwarf bodies able to be formed in far less time. Furthermore, while Eirá may have multiple bodies, each Sealla is ultimately still only human in strength and abilities.

Equipment: Nothing special, except a great deal more necessary personal belongings(clothes, toothbrushes, soap, beds, etc) than perhaps any other hero in history.

DETAILS

Nationality: Norwegian
Hometown: Guovdageaidnu
Sexuality: "I'm pan. Someone dating me would probably need quantum physics to figure out what dating me would make them."

Biggest Flaw: As Eirá possesses multiple bodies, and can repair DNA in modifying it, death isn’t as immediate a concern for Eirá as it is for others. As such, Eirá has a distinct lack of self-preservation instinct in most circumstances.
Main Skills: Eirá is fluent and literate in Northern Sámi, Norwegian, and English, and Finnish, and able to converse in Russian and Swedish. Otherwise, Eirá is an excellent speaker, and is effective at conveying concepts.

Personality: Eirá is lighthearted and intelligent, with an eccentric and energetic disposition that can either brighten someone’s day, or grate on their nerves, depending on the person. They can be rather reckless when the results should only affect themself, but are significantly more careful when decisions involve others, although, even then sometimes on the reckless side. Eirá quite enjoys humour, and finds it even in unorthodox things sometimes, which can create awkward situations. In any case, Eirá is generally easygoing, and, albeit easily bored, can prove a valuable asset for communications and for when a disposable body is needed.

Biography: Born in a relatively isolated and out-of-the-way town in Finnmark, much of Eirá’s early life is left solely to Eirá’s narration. To that extent, it cannot be entirely verified that Eirá Oktaleasiiollu is, in fact, their original name, although corroborating Eirá’s self-narrated life story has not been a priority of the Syndicate’s to any extent. The following is Eirá’s recount verbatim, spoken from the mouth of EiráN:

“I was born in Guovdageaidnu, about 21 years ago. I had a mom, and a dad, like most people. Grandparents too, and a brother. Family. My childhood wasn’t particularly interesting other than a few things, and I don’t wanna waste anyone’s time talking about the unimportant bits. I had one body back then, it’s true. You won’t ever find it though; it’s salmon food now. I’ve moved on, anyway. Back to before that, though. I grew up a pretty boring kid, read a lot. I learned the language of my people, and then I learned Norwegian, Finnish, Russian, and Swedish from the people in my village. I learned to read Norwegian, and the whole mess of English in school. I can read Finnish because the orthography is idiotically system. Languages. Lot of time on that as a child. It took us a while to get decent internet; I was 10 when it was really useable for fun at home.

The internet is the big important thing about my young life, I’d say. I didn’t have many friends, partially because there wasn’t a large pool to chose from in a town of less than 2,000. I don’t think there was more than one school to chose from, come to think of it. So I pretty quickly began to use the internet as my primary social tool. I kinda just screwed around for the year or two I had it, all of the games and what have you at my disposal. Around when began puberty to set in, though, I have to say I began to feel real weird. Something really wasn’t right, at least, some days. Some other days it was fine, and then others yet it was just almost half-wrong. It’s hard to explain the feeling.

Whatever the case was, I just kept going down. Like, when you feel really bad one day, even if the next is perfectly alright empirically, it carries over. It was just a slow downwards spiral that I couldn’t explain. I figured for a while that it was just a natural part of growing up. Getting older, I thought, couldn’t be fun, considering I knew plenty of people who liked alcohol just a bit too much. That was surely the reason, and maybe I was just one of those souls who was meant for a morning drink to take the edge off, as they say. Maybe that’ll still be the truth one day, although I guess I’d need to get smashed in all my Sealla.

Regardless, I just put off asking myself anything for a while until I stumbled across something on the internet. Maybe it was reddit, or maybe it was something else. I can’t remember. Either way, it got me thinking. There were some trans men and women going on about how they felt, what it was like, and something just felt eerie, as if there was a puzzle piece to my brain floating around there or something. I started checking it every now and then, just out of curiosity, and some days I felt just like these people I’d never spoken to described, and others, just a bit, and others still, nothing at all. In my essence I knew there was something, but I didn’t know where to look.

I started looking up the things these people were writing about. Nothing quite cracked the code that I was uncovering inside myself. Nothing, until I found a wiki. A wiki dedicated to it all. Intentional searching just didn’t seem to work, so I just started slogging through the pages until one clicked. It just did. My gender was fluid. I couldn’t stay one. It was like it just shifted and came and went in all sorts of different ways. Even I can’t explain how it feels. It just...is, I guess. ‘Is’ is the best way I can put it.

Now knowing what was my big problem was one thing, but figuring out what to do about it was another. It just baffled me how I could possibly match something that could shift so quickly, and it continued to for months, years. I devoured tips and tricks, but never told another soul. I couldn’t. People think Norway is so great and progressive, but the truth is, there are people in opposition to some people’s very existence no matter what country you go to, especially out in the backwaters.

I tried a lot of things to ease the pain, nothing really worked though. Eventually, I just became a vegetable some days in my later secondary education years. Eat and sit, I’d just do that those days. I gained weight, which I hated, until something happened. I’d gotten pretty pudgy, and was having really bad day. A really, really bad day. I got home from school one day, and went to take a shower...

It...it was tempting....so...tempting to just...bring a razor in...a blade...something sharp...something to just...end it all...make it go away. Nobody was home. N-nobody to call in time.

E-excuse me for a moment...

...I w-went in there with a knife...I...almost did it...but...suddenly...it j-just happened. I split, and I was looking through two pairs of eyes. One at my original body...which was suddenly thin...and one at mine, the one I’m talking with here. I nearly fainted. There was this perfect body for the day...and then my old one...both holding my sight. It...It was sensory and emotional overload, n-not to mention cramped!

This short-circuiting joy didn’t last too long, though. I mean, the knife went back where it was supposed to be pretty quick, but panic soon set in. How would I ever explain this to my parents? Better me had to hide. I finished showering, and figured out how to multitask with two nervous systems. I was still pretty awkward moving, going from one body to two, but I got the hang of it eventually. Limped to my room. I eventually just made up a bed under my actual bed, like a nest, really. That’s where I slept, with my original body taking the actual bed. The next day, original body went off to school, while this one stayed at home, hiding until everyone was out. I went about a home alone routine while vacant in class, going more lucid to actually take notes. I slowly got the hang of having two cortexes, or whatever, to play with, and I got into a rhythm.

I stuck with this schedule for a while, and it went pretty well. I thought, maybe my problems were solved. I came out to my parents quickly, and it ended pretty bad. They didn’t react murderously, but they just crushed me. Wouldn’t hear of it. So I tried to wait until I graduated secondary school. I just couldn’t, though. I finally broke. Couldn’t take it any longer. By this time, both of my bodies had gotten pudgy again. One night, just after everyone went to sleep, I wrote a ‘suicide’ note. If I was going to disappear, I’d make certain that they’d know why. They’d know what they did, where they went wrong, and there’d be no question about it.

I had it perfectly together. The whole plot. I made sure only one track of footprints in the snow, and I took along practically my whole room, as well as a bunch of my family’s cash. I divided in two, and made two of my prime Sealla for this. Coordination was tough at first, but I got the hang of it. My original body, and my new Sealla parted. My original body made the trek to the river, while my new three got on a bus to Alta International Airport. One set of eyes found an icy river, and cold set in. The other three paid in cash for tickets to London. And so, my new life was to begin. For once, talking to myself didn’t end up looking weird to anyone.

I went to the Syndicate London Headquarters, and, after proving I was legit, I entered a training programme for metas a bit too young or inexperienced to properly join the fight. The rest, they say, is history.”

#HLApp
Last edited by Khasinkonia on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:22 am, edited 5 times in total.

Stormwrath
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwrath » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:19 am

I hath been summoned.

I'm guessing this is borrowing many elements from the X-Men universe, yes?

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:22 am

Stormwrath wrote:I hath been summoned.

I'm guessing this is borrowing many elements from the X-Men universe, yes?

It's actually a mix of a lot of things to be honest. There was another RP before this one that had some of the lore from it but not all of it (we replaced the stuff that didn't work) and there's your traditional superheroes, your magic based heroes that seem like they're out of a fantasy setting, organizations with political or personal goals, etc.

But X Men is a decent comparison as far as what's already out there, there's probably less metahuman discrimination here though.
Khasinkonia wrote:snip

Accepted.
Last edited by Forest State on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
don't tread on me

Toaslandia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Toaslandia » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:25 am

tag
Founder of The United Imperial Provinces and proud colonizer of space!

A class 1.181 civilization according to this index

Just a Socialist trying to live in Trump America

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:12 am

FACTION APPLICATION

Name: The Magi Society

Classification: Group B

Membership: According to most estimates, the Magi Society has three million members worldwide. However, the vast majority of these people are not metahumans or notable people at all, and are just ordinary civilians who have joined the group for what they believe it offers. There is a smaller subset of this number that is also made of civilians, mainly, "mundane metahumans" as they are known. In other words, those who show magical abilities but are normal civilians who are not involved in the fight between heroes and villains or anything else of the sort. The organization does, however, have a secretive armed wing known as the Hand of the Magi, which is mostly made up of non metahuman members of the group as well as a small number of mages who lead the Hand.

Areas of Operation: While the organization is officially worldwide, most of its operations are in North America, the United Kingdom, select continental European countries, and the poorer countries in south Asia.

Alignment: Neutral

Description of Faction Strength Level: The strength of the Magi is something that lies in the shadows. They aren't really a combatant at all in the traditional sense but anyone should know that you don't need to be a traditional combatant to have strength. The Magi draw their strength through having a large base of mainstream support which allows them to work for their goals without being suspected of wrongdoing. It's hard to go after them because it can be viewed as persecuting a religion. And of course, they have very good marketing. The mercenaries and armed members that they have secretly doing their will is just a cherry on top, when you look at it. Let's be real. They won't beat many factions in a straight fight, but they almost never take straight fights.

Background: The fastest rising new age religion in the world, the Magi claim to have the first religion. That is, the one that was practiced by the first men that may or may not have actually existed. But whether they did or not is irrelevant because the leadership of the Magi claim to have seen them and they claim to have information from this society that if used by everyone, would lead humanity to a new age of enlightenment and prosperity. They participate in charity and relief work and claim that they teach people magical principals that can help them whether or not they have powers. Rather than focusing on a god like some religions, the Magi focus on energy, which is already a proven magical concept.

However, their definitions differ from those traditionally accepted in magic. They believe strongly in the existence of positive and negative energies as well as a host of others that must be balanced to achieve success and happiness, and they believe that the first humans created a successful society through balancing all of these perfectly.

They also claim that every human has magical ability and not just metahumans, and that even those without overt powers can use magical techniques to improve their lives. Thus, much of their focus in terms of actually practicing the religion is on things such as meditation, magical studies, and the like. They typically recruit with preachers, but according to their rules, every member is a preacher and spends time spreading their message across all available channels, giving them a large public reach. They produce a number of publications about their religion and about life in general, which direct people to their organization and encourage them to join. The group has gained many members from these publications. They also fund their operations through donations, convincing their members to give up their money willingly despite not officially demanding it and claiming that their teachings are free.

However, these practices have a darker side and the group has been accused of many former members of being a cult, which controls people under the guise of balancing them and fixing their problems. Gurus, the equivalent of the clergy class, have a great amount of power over the lives of their students and the structure of the organization is designed to benefit them, not the people that join their Chapters. They also have some secret operations going on in rural areas such as southern Africa and certain sites in South Asia, and people who have attempted to get too close to these have disappeared under strange circumstances.

Don't buy into all of the marketing. The Magi might put on a nice public face, but they're very much a shadier organization than they let most people see.

#HLApp

STEPHEN DEMARCO

"I'm gonna make us into kings... Just wait."

VITALS

Name: Stephen "Steph" Demarco
Nickname/Alias: Supreme Guru
Appearance:

Build: 6'3", 179 lbs

Primary Ability: Demarco is an Earth mage who has skill for manipulating the ground, rocks, and other natural substances such as this. Rock is where Demarco has the strongest control, with the ability to summon them from nothing as well as shaping them and moving them. Other organic elements, however, can be manipulated to a lesser extent... Even someone's body with enough focus and effort, although this is rare and is more of a last resort. Additionally, Demarco has some knowledge of magic based biology, which is raw and untrained right now but can shape organic bodies.
Other Abilities: N/A

Power Drawbacks: Like all magic, these abilities require a connection to a magical plane and much of them is based on focus. Lose focus, and power is lost also. Additionally, while Demarco might be a mage with a decent level of power, he's not a refined one by any means. His powers aren't necessarily the most accurate, the fastest to use, or the most well trained at all.

Equipment: Typically carries an M9 pistol and owns a more ceremonial golden M16 as well as a similarly fashionable but not functional Roman styled gladius.

DETAILS

Organization: The Magi Society
Profession: Magi Society leader

Alignment: Evil

Nationality: Born in Greece, holds (fake) American citizenship
Residence: Long Island, New York / Essex, England
Sexuality: Straight

Personality: You'd think a cult leader would be charming and charismatic, but Steph isn't necessarily that. Rather, he's very good at management. He might not be able to write a speech himself, but he's the type of intelligent and analytical person to pick someone else to write the speech and then deliver it himself. He might not be the best negotiator, but he's damn good at spotting the person who is. And this reflects in his personality and behavior. Steph is a distant type, managing things from afar. Those who have come closer within his circle say other things. That Steph is... More open, relaxed, and actually has a sense of humor. But few ever see this side, with his guard let down.

Biography: It seems like the Magi Society came out of nowhere and onto the world scene. The fact is, despite experiencing a rush of popularity where it shot up the charts on the rankings of the world's new age religions, it was building for a long time. Stephen Demarco didn't come out of nowhere, and his story didn't exactly start in New York City despite that being the official claim. No, Demarco is actually an Italian born in Greece, something that was covered up quite extensively. The grandson of an Italian soldier who had fought in World War Two and the son of lower class parents, Demarco didn't exactly have much growing up, either. He'd become estranged from those parents, too, along with his sister, Erika, for leaving university and traveling to Eastern Europe instead. It was there that they threw everything into searching for the truth behind internet conspiracy theories, particularly the ones relating to the first men.

They searched up and down the region and were quickly going through their money, with both Stephen and Erika doing odd jobs to preserve it while they could. They nearly ended up homeless, until they found themselves in Belarus and went hunting for an artifact that their research had led them to believe was there. What they found there instead was something else entirely. Both siblings claimed that they had been meditating to improve their skills with magic, when they were shown the old world. The world before this one, inhabited by the first men. They claimed that these visions in Belarus were showing them the original religion of humanity, and its practices. And they claimed that magic was a huge part of it.

When the siblings spread their findings online, they quickly gained funding and support from others who bought into it, and it had a snowball effect. The Magi Society was born and they were soon leaving Belarus for the United Kingdom. It seemed that the mage community believed them, at least, despite their lack of solid evidence. After all, it's hard to prove many magical things, and their marketing caught on despite their message not being solidified yet. In the years ahead, Stephen worked on growing it, ruling the group from the start as the undisputed leader while Erika handled other areas... A perfect combination.

#HLApp
don't tread on me

Toaslandia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Toaslandia » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:23 am

FACTION APPLICATION

Name: The White Serpent

Membership: The White Serpent is an alliance of criminal gangs, syndicates, and Black Market traders who have come together to protect their interests against any metahumans who oppose them. With around three million members world-wide and their numbers growing as they sway more to their cause, they are a possible threat to the world.
Areas of Operation: India, USA, Great Britain, China, and Japan

Alignment: Villain

Description of Faction Strength Level: They may not be able to stand up to larger organizations, but if a small group of metahumans decided to take them head-on, they would find it incredibly difficult as they have a semi-organized force of combined criminal strength to get what they want.

Background: The White Serpent was founded by scattered criminal organizations to make sure their interests survive. The leaders of the White Serpent are representatives from every criminal organization in it that make up the Fanged Council. While the multiple gangs and syndicates occasionally skirmish, they have so far been well united, and the Fanged Council has only told the lower ranking members what they need to know. While the White Serpent is mostly human, they have a few criminal metahumans who came along when their organizations joined, including the leader of the Fanged Council, a metahuman who goes by the name 'The Serpent's Head'. The name of the White Serpent's leader is the only thing known about him or her, as he or she is a very shadowy person.

#HLApp

Janius Verona

"I wonder when you will realize that if you cut off the serpent's head, two more will grow from the stump."

VITALS

Name: Janius Verona
Nickname/Alias: The Serpent's Head
Appearance:

Build: 5'7 ft and 130 lbs

Primary Ability: Has fangs that are poison like a serpent's.

Other Abilities: Can run at about 45 mph.

Power Drawbacks: The drawback is that his body makes the poison by itself, making him tire easily.

Equipment: He wears a bulletproof vest underneath his black uniform. He also carries twin pistols.

DETAILS

Nationality: British
Hometown: London
Sexuality: Bisexual

Biggest Flaw: He will sacrifice anything and anyone to achieve his goals, even if it means people will despise him for it.
Main Skills: Good leader, good strategist, and a good orator.

Personality: Evil, cruel, patient, and stubborn

Biography: Janius Verona was born in London to a poor family. However, his family resorted to honest work to put food on the table, but as soon as Janius noticed that he had serpent fangs, he decided to take a more criminal approach. He would lure unsuspecting victims into dark alleyways when he was ten, saying that he needed help. And when they were out of view of the street, he would bite them, releasing a deadly poison into their blood that killed them quickly, and then rob the. This went on until he was eighteen, when his parents kicked him out because they hated how he used his powers for evil. He soon joined up with a small gang called the Serpents, and he quickly rose to the top and became their leader when he was twenty. Sadly, the Serpents were destroyed when a group of metahumans, aided by the police, raided their headquarters. He then made it his mission to form a criminal alliance and crush any metahumans that did not follow his agenda. When he was twenty three, he finally persuaded the current criminal organizations in the White Fang to join him, and when he was twenty-five, he established the Fanged Council and gave himself the code name 'The Serpent's Head'.

#HLApp
Last edited by Toaslandia on Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of The United Imperial Provinces and proud colonizer of space!

A class 1.181 civilization according to this index

Just a Socialist trying to live in Trump America

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:32 am

Toaslandia wrote:snip

Accepted. Expect resistance from Lux though since you're taking food out their mouth.
don't tread on me

Nea Videssos
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nea Videssos » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:34 am

Hmm....
Formerly Videssos. Just a femboy-obsessed degenerate. Also interested in history, mythology, fantasy, science fiction, metal and some other stuff.
A little bird told me, "Go, Go! Socialise! Talk to those fine people! And then, KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! Plunge your knife into their throats when they ain't lookin', and then burn 'em to the ground!"
Well that's silly, isn't it?

Ruskland-Preuben
Minister

Founded: Mar 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruskland-Preuben » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:10 am

So apparently scientific teleporting is dangerous because of the vacuum you leave behind imploding. So can I have scientifically accurate teleportation as my power?
I'm a Cthulhist and a Proud Member of the Federation of Allies.
Don’t expect a warm welcome in P2TM, but let them warm up to you by posting good stuff.
Formerly the NCSU, add 5000 posts please.

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:15 am

JESSAMYN NIKITA KOSMA-LENNON

"I've always been a dreamer. Unfortunately, not many of those dreams have come true."

VITALS

Name: Jessamyn Kosma-Lennon
Nickname/Alias: Dreamwalker
Appearance:

Build: 5'9", 148 lbs

Primary Ability: The primary ability that Jess has is to summon a magical projection that can travel within a ten mile radius around her, allowing her to observe as well as listen in on whatever the projection sees. This projection can take various forms that can be as large as a person or as small as a little bird, and it will appear to be made out of glowing blue energy. It can't interact with the world or be interacted with, and acts as a passive observer. However, it can be seen by all and someone with magic skills would be able to dispel it. It doesn't, however, make noise, which is good for sneaking around without being detected.

Other Abilities: Jess can also enter someone's mind by making contact with them. However, she isn't a telepath and doesn't get a feed of their thoughts. Rather, she's thrown into the mix of their feelings, including their subconscious, and has to sort through them. It's much more abstracted than looking through a list of thoughts, which means it's possible to get... Mixed signals or to not realize anything profound at all. Still, she can get a better idea by spending more time looking into someone's mind and experiencing their emotions.

Power Drawbacks: Neither ability has a direct use in combat and the projections cannot interact with the world. This means that something as small as a closed door can ruin plans, as the projection would not be able to reach out to open it. The projection also has no defenses from enemy magic users. And while Jess can be good at emphasizing and figuring out problems, the nature of the power means she can also be completely wrong.

Equipment: Jess doesn't carry a ton of equipment in the field but because of her role as someone that stays behind the friendly lines and helps her teammates fight the enemy from afar, she carries a pair of binoculars as well as an AWM sniper rifle and a Desert Eagle pistol in case things go horribly wrong.

DETAILS

Nationality: Russo-British
Hometown: London, United Kingdom
Sexuality: Bisexual

Biggest Flaw: Jess' tendency to get caught up in her own emotions is her biggest flaw and the thing that will likely destroy her. She lives with her heart on her sleeve and she's not really useful for anything when she's being emotional, which is more of the time than it should be. And when she's in an emotional or manic state, she doesn't have much control over herself and what she does either.
Main Skills: Obviously, Jess is quite perceptive and even quick thinking. She's smarter than she allows most people to realize and has some understanding of strategy and tactics, even if she's not the best at carrying out those plans herself without the support of her teammates.

Personality: There's two sides to Jess. One side is the one that comes out in the public and the one that everyone knows. The one that grew up in front of the cameras and that her friends and family were all too familiar with when she was younger. In other words, a rising young hero who said all the right things and had a bright future. The other side is the more bitter and realer one that's already accepted that she's never going to be her sister or be what her family wanted and that everything she does is going to be a disappointment. That side is much more hidden. But it's definitely there and you could argue that this darkness and bitterness has become not just another side, but the real Jess.

Biography: If the Washington Americans and their original leaders are the first fathers of the Syndicate in America, Justice Lennon occupied the same position for the organization and for heroes in general in Britain, as the former leader of the London Tigers and one of the heroes that helped to make the group so relevant and popular in the first place. The Lennon family became celebrities in the country and some of Lennon's multiple children would go on to have their own careers as heroes. One of those would be Cordella Lennon, who happens to be the mother to Jess Kosma-Lennon. Cordella would have her own hero career in the United Kingdom, one that is still active, and eventually got married to Russian hero Aleksei Kosma.

The celebrity marriage created another celebrity family, and they ended up pausing their careers for a bit to have two kids who would turn out to be two girls: Jessamyn and Mariam, also known as Mari. Mari, who was one year older, ended up with speed based powers that were more like Aleksei, while Jess didn't show powers at first and found herself falling behind her sister, who is a year older, in terms of getting much attention from their parents or from the other heroes that they largely grew up around. They were around both the London Tigers and other British heroes who their parents had worked with, but Jess always found herself second when it came to praises and attention. It always seemed like the adults in their life noticed Mari first, and everyone that was their age wanted to be friends with Mari before they wanted to be friends with Jess.

During their teenage years both girls trained to be heroes but Mari obviously continued to receive more attention because her ability was actually useful in combat while Jess had to stay on the sidelines, and during high school, it all took a toll on her as she became a loner despite having money and everything that most normal people would want. She had that, but most of her friendships were hollow and the people that she did care about were more focused on her sister than her. At some point, something snapped in her, her darker side emerging as she began to withdraw and give into depression, hiding this for the sake of not delaying her progress in becoming a hero. After all, she didn't want Mari to have more of a head start on her.

Jess made the news for the wrong reasons when she was in her senior year of high school, mainly when she was caught by reporters smoking meth in one of the city's shadier neighborhoods. It was really just a symbol of her decline and her wasted potential. Still, though, Jess managed to get onto a team as soon as she was 18. Unfortunately, it happened to be NEXT London, the same team that Mari was with. She lasted awhile there, once again behind her sister in the spotlight because her sister could do things on the battlefield and she was just... There. And then when she was 21, it came time to negotiate contracts again and they gave Mari a deal that would pay her five million a year, which was small change when talking about NEXT.

And Jess was, well, not valuable enough to keep. They let her walk and she was without a team once again, feeling like she would have had a spot if it wasn't for the spotlight being taken away from her once again. So she signed up for the Syndicate, hoping they would have something that wouldn't send her out of the country she'd grown up in. Even if by staying in the same city, she was still placing herself in the shadow of the person she hated with all of her being.

#HLApp
don't tread on me

Free Empire of the Low Isles
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 20, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Free Empire of the Low Isles » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:32 pm

KENSHO

"Location is a Restriction we place on Ourselves; the Soul can be Anywhere it Wishes, with the Proper Training."

VITALS

Name: Kensho
Nickname/Alias: Kensho the Drunk Monk, attributed by the media. Sho to his friends.
Appearance:
Robes are actually black, not gold.
For those that have seen him unmasked.

Build: Gifted with a svelte swimmer's form, Kensho's body measures in height 1.7 meters or 5 feet, 8 inches in the Imperial system. While wearing his signature equipment, which is light weight in itself, he weighs 65 kilograms, 145 lbs, or 10 stone. Visually, his skin is darker than the average Chinese individual, due to the ethnic mixing that occurred in the Monastery as well as the extra sun he was exposed to during his childhood training. He has several scars all over his body from that training and a slight crook to the right in his nose from it being broken several times. On his back left shoulder, generally over the aorta, the sign of the Monastery is tattooed in black with a diameter of approximately eight inches at it's widest point. Growing from that lotus is a pattern of strangely arcane sigils, a combination of ancient Chinese script, Sanskrit, and both writing styles of Japanese, with a few unidentifiable arcane symbols that only the initiated would know. When his hair is visible, during training and other such activities when he is typically just in pants, it is obviously rather long but tied up in an Asian style male bun, with on side of the head buzzed in a vaguely Buddhist or Indian line pattern. The ends of his hair are dyed white. His face is practically never visible, with only a few people having seen it, but they would notice his strangely vibrant green eyes and strange lack of scars when compared to the rest of his body. Final mentions, both his hands and feet are rather calloused from practicing martial arts.

Primary Ability: Sho's main power is that of portal creation through arcane means. Essentially, using the magical script tattooed on his left arm, he able to instantly create a set of portals to any physical destination within sight of his location. The larger the distance outside of one hundred feet, the longer the cool down he has to wait until he is able to create another portal. The formula is essentially a minute for every hundred feet past one hundred feet, with the time incremental to the distance traveled instead of just one minute every one hundred feet. For example, if Sho travels 100 ft, he must wait 1 minute. For 200 ft, 2 minutes. For 250 ft, he must wait 2 minutes and thirty seconds, so on, so forth. Within a one hundred foot radius, Sho can create one set of portals to travels through and then recreate it with no cool down. The portals close immediately after Sho exits, but remain open until he uses them unless he closes them with a command or if it exits a time limit of twenty seconds. To prevent a loophole in the cool down rule, Sho must stay in the same place for ten seconds in order to reset the center of the hundred foot radius. Otherwise, he has full reign to make portals within that original hundred foot radius circle. If Sho needs to, he can move the 'entrance portal' at will, though doing so creates a thirty second portal creation cool down upon exit of the portal. The portals have two appearances, depending on the stability needed. Portals that only need to last for two seconds for quick passage are not visible to the unassisted eye, essentially appearing invisible. Otherwise, they appear as a hazy slit carved through the fabric of reality, in between the two sides of the slit appearing the other side of the portal. A mage or physicists would explain that, technically, what was occurring was the folding of spacetime with a magical knife cutting a hole between two places. This is only visible for portals that need to last more than 2.356 seconds, the actual time barrier assessed by Syndicate. Of course, assisted eyes can see the formation and temporary existence of these portals for anything before that duration, but assisted eyes include only highly sensitive slow motion cameras and certain magical spells. If the cool down for portal creation ever exceeds more than five hours, Sho passes out for three days straight. The actual amount of cool down time over five hours has no correlation with the days Sho spends unconscious, it is always three days.

Other Abilities: Along with the rest of the Monks of the Monastery, Sho is pretty much homo sapiens superior. He's fast enough to catch an arrow flying straight at his chest; he's more durable, making bruising his skin or breaking bones slightly tougher; finally, he's strong enough to that he can overcome his own extra durability, meaning that breaking a normal human's bones is almost too easy for him to be comfortable with. All are the result of genetic mutation among the Monastery's inhabitants and intense martial arts training.

Power Drawbacks: Along with all the restrictions outlined in the above primary powers section, Sho's metabolism is nearly three times as fast as the average human's and his necessary food intake is also triple that of normal. Sho's a hungry boy that needs a lot of stuff. Also means he gets drunk quicker but not for as long.

Equipment: Just his black set of Monastery robes, his white mask, and a set of Kevlar armor pieces hidden under the robe. Includes a vest, greaves, and gauntlets.

DETAILS

Nationality: The Monastery
Hometown: The Monastery
Sexuality: "The Buddha accepted all peoples... I make it a point to follow that rule in all things!"

Biggest Flaw: He's a bit of an alcoholic and would certainly become a general substance abuser if the Syndicate didn't limit his substances to rice wine, soju, and sake.
Main Skills: He's a martial arts master, specifically for a penchant at that 'Drunken Monkey' style of fighting, though he can use several other styles. He can speak English, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Tibetan. He can cook in the tradition Monastery style, meaning he uses a lot of rice, fermented fish, and fruit. Can do math and read in all the languages he knows. Other basic things to live.

Personality: Really, it's just a combination of average 20 year old and the wise, lewd monk. He gets nosebleeds in inappropriate situations while still giving important life lessons based on the teachings of the Buddha. Basically, a pretty archetypal kind of guy, with some unique flair every once in a while.

Biography: Most people aren't able to say that they grew up in Shangri-La, but, then again, Kensho isn't the average person. As a member of the Monastery, he was born in the compound, surrounded by beautiful tress, wonderful waterfalls, and exotic flora and fauna. He was the son of a beautiful meta mother and a father who claimed to be the best warrior monk in the Order, a claim supported by the fact that he had never been defeated in a bout. Quite a lot of fame to live up to for a young boy, but Sho didn't realize what he was getting into until much later in life. His childhood was rather simple. Wake up early, eat breakfast, go train with the other children under the kind old Abbott, go to school and learn to read and write, come home and play with his pet tiger Lhotse. Rinse and repeat. Of course, every now and then his father would give him a bit of a personal combat lesson, but Sho wasn't that interested in becoming a warrior monk and so slightly disappointed his father in that area. For a long time, the kid never showed signs of becoming a meta. No sudden fires, no talking to animals, and especially no portal creation. Overall, the Monastery as a whole was quite disappointed in their little star of a child. Eventually, it came time for a mission for both of his parents. While Sho stayed with his grandparents, all four being regular civilians, his parents went out to track down a certain colonel from the army that had attacked the monastery from so long ago. It would seem that the Colonel himself had been a meta, gifted with long life and a strangely durable body.

Both parents died on the mission. The Colonel also escaped.

Driven by the death of his mother and father, Sho began to train to become a warrior monk. A monk better than his father had been, capable of taking down the Colonel and getting revenge. Sometime in his teenage years, he finally developed his meta abilities, manifesting in his ability to create portals. Sadly, this ability was not something he could control, portals randomly generating and sending him careening into rivers and walls at the most inopportune times, though sometimes it sent his sparring partner off into similar trouble. Eventually, a council of monk magicians was able to identify the problem and create a control, resulting in the arcane tattoos that darken Sho's left arm. While he was never considered the best monk at the Monastery and he still has much to learn about his meta ability, the Abbott suddenly decided that the Monastery had taught the monk everything possible. He needed experience, not training, if he was to achieve his goal. So, the Abbott sent young Sho out on his Pilgrimage.

What followed was a series of events that most in the Syndicate and Sho do not really talk about today. The summary is that Sho suddenly appeared in Trafalgar Square in London at the ripe time of midnight, witnessed a mugging, and immediately ran to stop it. After stopping a mugging, he saw a group of triad members peddling drugs on a corner to children. Subsequently after beating those triad members to a pulp and telling the kids to stay in school, Sho found another crime to stop in the dead of night. By morning, the monk had completed the strangest, most roundabout path (That may have involved also stopping a bank robbery) of arriving at the Foxhole, where he was supposed to be living. Since, you know, the Monastery had made a deal with the Syndicate that made Brother Kensho the newest member of Team Fox.

And he did all of this in a strange pair of robes and while never showing his face. Quite the media stirrup.

#HLApp

FACTION APPLICATION

Name: The Monastery of the Hidden Lotus, or simply the Monastery

Classification: B-Class

Membership: Approximately 1,000 members total, working out so that 8% are metas of varying strengths, 50% are warrior-monks of a slightly superior variation of human, and the rest remaining normal, civilian humans that live on the compound of the Monastery.

Areas of Operation: The Monastery itself, which is in an undisclosed location. With the help of several meta magicians, the Monastery is able to open portals to almost anywhere on the planet, as long as they happen to have picture of the location. As such, they had several agents go out and take pictures of multiple locations so that the Monastery has close entry points to almost all locations on Earth. Extremely dangerous locations are, of course, exempt from the assumption that the Monastery has an access point near them. Jungles and deserts are prime examples of these dangerous locations.

Alignment: They lean toward the Heroes due to the religious nature of the Monastery, though they maintain a Meta-first mindset, seeking foremost the preservation of the Monastery and the growth of their Family. The Syndicate, while they may have Brother Kensho on loan to them, are not necessarily the Hero organization that aligns the most with the Monastery's values. If anything, that would be NEXT, but for all intents and purposes, the Monastery is looking for allies and has chosen to foster a relationship with the strongest of the hero organizations.

Description of Faction Strength Level: While the Monastery may have approximately 80 metas as members of their order, those metas are not necessarily combat ready monks that can keep their own with the Syndicate's team of heroes. Instead, maybe ten to fifteen of those metas are truly combat capable mutants and magicians. The rest have weaker powers over plants, animals, and other aspects of nature that help with maintaining the Monastery and their somewhat sizable population. Some can read minds and others throw small objects without touching them, but only a few are worth mentioning in the scheme of major world meta politics. Along with a small army of somewhat mutated monks, the Monastery's power can be explained simply by the saying 'As wide as an ocean, as deep as a puddle'. They can reach all over the world, but at the end of the day, their impact is relatively little when it comes to fighting. At most, they could specialize in black-ops and infiltration, but given their goals of defensive self-preservation, that is not the most desirable path for them to take. Instead, they have decided to attempt to ally with multiple meta organizations on the planet and form a coalition of metas surrounding the Monastery like a blanket.

Background: Things became... interesting, after the Halifax Incident. Metas started to awaken across the planet and governments suddenly had to deal with the sudden appearance of a crisis that would rival the invention of the atom bomb, before the atom was ever split. In the West and in some of the more tolerant countries, the metas were met with a combination of wary regard and scientific interest. Sadly, not everywhere was as tolerant and opportunist as these nineteenth century paragons of virtue. And metas were, indeed, everywhere. In some places, they could take the position of warlords, generals, or saints if the culture was fittingly primitive enough and their powers strong enough, but in areas where the populace was not that primitive or the meta in question not powerful enough, they were looked down on with derision. People treated them harshly because of their fear, lynching metas that weren't strong enough to defend themselves and ostracizing those that were. Parents and siblings that loved their meta family members, with some exceptions, of course, would often be ostracized or lynched with them. Soon, it became quite well known in those non-tolerant areas that if you or your child began to develop meta abilities, it was time to pick everything up and move somewhere else. Somewhere in the West or where the metas could hide their powers easily. Governments also began to implement their own meta responses... mostly in the form of kidnapping metas, running medical tests on them, and then forming those special military meta units suited for combat. Between societal pressure and government threat, a large amount of metas began to live just on the run, either alone or with their families.

As with every crisis, though, there were those that were willing to sacrifice their own well-being for the better of others. One of these was a small Japanese monastery on the island of Hokkaido, which had no particular name before a certain small incident. The Buddhist monks there had discovered at least one meta among their own and instead of throwing him out, they simply accepted him and continued operation. Eventually, they took notice of the ostracized and lynched metas on the island of Hokkaido and became to slowly offer them asylum. Word spread among the wandering metas of Japan, then China, then most of East Asia, and soon a significant amount were lodging with the monks of this monastery. Expansions were planned to accommodate them. New fields were plowed. The normal monks and the metas and the local villagers nearby the monastery began to live in relative harmony. Until, after several years of this situation, the Japanese government finally decided that it was time to develop their own meta breeding program. Their first step was to raid the monastery and take any metas that were left alive.

The Night the Lotus Hid, as it's called by the Monastery, began relatively quietly. It happened on the night of a small, local holiday. Everyone was awake that night, having a monastery and village wide feast in the main compound. Children were laughing, teens flirting, and the general population, normal and meta, was having a wonderful time. That was when the Japanese army ambushed the Monastery. What followed was a hectic few hours of bloodshed as those few metas that could fight and the monks trained as warriors defended their home while infantry men slaughtered anyone they came across that couldn't defend themselves. It didn't stop until the Abbott called everyone into a general retreat, the hundreds of remaining people pouring into the central compound. Children where huddled with strangers they never met because they're parents had been shot before their very eyes. Widows and widowers mourned their recently deceased loves. There was just quiet sobbing as the army began to pound at the large wooden door. Just before the army could break it down, though, the entirety of the central compound disappeared in a bright flash of light, never to be seen in Japan again. As was later discovered by the Monastery, upon finding his dead body, the Abbott had been a powerful meta that was able to transport everyone and everything within certain distance with him to a safe location, at the cost of his life. None but the Monastery's inhabitants know where they landed now.

#HLApp

JOURNALIST APPLICATION

VITALS

Name: Caroline 'Carrie' Myers
Nickname/Pseudonym: Commie Carrie
Appearance:

DETAILS

Outlet: While Carrie's definitely a freelance journalist, she has written several articles for major publications such as CNN, ABC, and MSN. She also has appeared as an accredited author and direct contributor to publications like the Chinese People's Daily and the Pyongyang Times.
Bias: She has a clear leftist, communist bias. Almost to the point of obsession. She has been seen defending the Kim Regime multiple times.
Home City: Seattle, Washington
Nationality: American
Integrity Rating: Really depends on the topic. For leftist news that's good, that's 6. When it comes to reporting things that could put her side in a bad light, that's a 2.

Personality: Obsessive, pedantic, and, overall, a pretty big cunt if she doesn't think you're a devoted follower of the Revolution. If your views land anywhere to the right of her's, be prepared to be debated, yelled at, seduced, and called a fascist pig. If you love being belittled for nothing and not eating food, this is the girl for you!
Bio: Born in the state of Georgia to two parents that had never even seen the Democratic half of the ballot in their lives, Caroline Myers was raised rather conservatively. She went to church every Sunday, attended a wonderful series of Catholic schools from elementary to high, and had a permit to carry a firearm by the time she was eighteen. By the end of high school, she was all set to go to the University of Georgia to study law. That was, until she suddenly dropped all ties with her parents, used the funds she made from her multiple secret part time jobs to get a hammer and sickle tattoo over her heart, and moved out to west to attend the University of California at Berkeley. Apparently, Carrie's parents had made the mistake of allowing their child access to the internet and given her permission to participate in the school paper... where she quickly became a secret editor-in-chief and turned the whole thing into scathing reviews of teachers, administrators, and local politicians. And with that kind of history, it appeared that a lot of left leaning schools started to send her emails trying to recruit her.

And that's how wonderful little Caroline Myers, who her parents thought would grow up to be a regular Georgia lawyer and marry a nice man to have kids with, became a lesbian Communist journalist with a rash of ex-girlfriends and a history as a stripper in undergrad. Now, she writes for nearly every major English left wing media organization in the Western hemisphere and most Communist state media organizations. It's just... the parents should blame Catholic school. Everything bad happens because of Catholics.

#HLApp
"Metaphors have a way of holding the most truth in the least space." - Orson Scott Card

"Among my most prized possessions are words that I have never spoken" - Orson Scott Card

"There are no happy endings, because nothing ever ends." - Schmendrick the Magician

"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson

"You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

An Egalitarian, humanist, and a member of the glorious Kekistani people!

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:14 pm

Ruskland-Preuben wrote:So apparently scientific teleporting is dangerous because of the vacuum you leave behind imploding. So can I have scientifically accurate teleportation as my power?

I'm not really sure how that works, to be honest. Maybe explain it a bit more?
Free Empire of the Low Isles wrote:snip

Accepted. Roster will be up today.
don't tread on me

Novia Soviet Socialist Republic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Novia Soviet Socialist Republic » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Kane Davidson

"Trust me, I have a degree"

VITALS

Name: Kane Davidson
Nickname/Alias: Whisky Rose
Appearance:

Build: 6'2 and around 220lbs with a fairly muscular appearance.

Primary Ability: Kane possess super intellect that puts human genius prodigies to shame. He has photographic memory, capable of learning at a extremely fast rate with unnatural grasp of practical knowledge. His specialities are biochemistry and mechanical engineering through has vast knowledge in other fields.

Other Abilities: Kane has some useful utilitarian implants in his body that do things ranging from being able to interface with technology, increase blood clot speed, filter out poisons, fight disease, suppress pain or release adrenaline into his body. Nano machines in his body maintain these implants.

Power Drawbacks: Kane needs to take pills that contain various minerals and chemicals that wouldn't be available in food or drinks to provide resources for the nano machines in his body to self maintain as well as maintain the various implants in his body along with pills that stop his body rejecting the implants. On top of that his brain requires more energy to function at the height his does and has a higher food, water and rest requirement to work at it's best. Failure to take the weekly maintenance pills will result in the implants slowly tanking in performance before breaking down. Failure to take the weekly anti-rejection pills will result in serious illness including blood poisoning, infections, weakened immune system and eventually death. The performance enhancing drugs he uses also have the after effects of temporary fatigue and depression.

Equipment:
Loki APS: The Loki Adaptive Powered Suit is a suit of armour that can add, remove and change parts in seconds. This is possible with the use of Loki Drones which fly in and remove or add parts, allowing Kane to switch from an infantry power suit to an artillery power suit in under a minute. Protection and strength varies with modifications. The Loki APS is synchronised with Kane's cybernetic interface and can be called in and put on with ease with a thought.

Stimpack: The Stimpack is a zip pouch containing auto-injectors, painkillers, antibiotics and bandages. Auto-injectors contain his various performance enhancing drugs such as the Vitality Shot which sends cells into a reproductive overdrive, using up the body's energy at a high rate in exchange for healing minor injuries over the course of a couple of minutes, stabilising the critically injured and stopping intense bleeding. Strength Enhancers force the body to use more of their muscle mass (The average human only being able to summon around 20% to 30% of their muscle mass), increasing usage to 65% making the user more than twice as strong for a couple of hours at the cost of increased use of the body's energy and risking damage to joints, tendons and bones. Stamina Enhancers use certain chemicals commonly found in Cocaine mixed in with adrenaline. This chemical cocktail increases awareness, reaction time, endurance etc however the heart rate will increase significantly over the few hours under its effect. Finally there are Brain Enhancers which causes neurons to make connections at triple the speed as normal over the next few hours essentially making learning and retaining information much faster and easier. All these drugs cause temporary fatigue and depression when coming down from them and can be addictive and straining on the body with extensive use.

KT 9000/S Smart Pistol: The KT 9000 is a 10mm Automatic handgun, designed to fire smart rounds. Working along side the handgun's computer system, the smart rounds guide themselves towards their target by making adjustments mid air that allow for perfect centre mass shots so long as the gun is pointed at them. However, due to technology restraints the Smart Pistol doesn't have a good enough computer system that could guide a bullet around cover to hit someone. Despite the limitation, the Smart Pistol has a 12 round standard magazine, automatic and burst fire feature providing a rate of fire of 900 RPM and rails as standard. Kane carries this handgun where ever he goes as "insurance".

DETAILS

Nationality: British, English
Hometown: Castleton, Lancashire, Northern England
Sexuality: Bisexual (Prefers women)

Biggest Flaw: Drug addiction. Kane is addicted to the very drugs he makes, specifically the Stamina Enhancers and can't go a day without shooting himself up with the stuff. Withdrawal effects are depression, fatigue, irritability and even becoming suicidal. Kane also is notorious for his dangerous levels of alcohol consumption which arguably be alcoholism.
Main Skills: : Kane has a really big appetite and as such learned how to cook. Nothing too impressive, but he can cook to feed a lot of people with ease. He can also dance to both classic and modern music. On top of being knowledgeable in all scientific and engineering fields he's also a semi competent boxer and hand to hand combatant.

Personality: Kane is known for being foul mouthed and a smart ass. He's also known for being a giant asshole. He doesn't take most situations seriously, loves to push peoples buttons with childish and cruel jokes and thoroughly enjoys banter and will always love it when people start making the same kinds of jokes towards him. Name calling and taunting are some of the things he's near enough mastered being able to drum them out at a staggering rate that can take one back a bit. He's also materialistic and likely won't do anything for anyone unless he's getting something out of it. He does however know when to be polite when needed and despite his massive personality flaws he's got a strong sense of right and wrong and will call people out for going overboard with a joke, bully someone or be a general menace to society.

Biography: Kane was born in 1997 to a human father, Andrew Davidson and a metahuman mother, Evelyn Davidson. His mother has greatly enhanced intelligence just like Kane himself and owned a relatively small but successful business that dealt with building and repairing specialised construction and mining equipment that the local quarry used frequently. Because of all this him and his family lived a very cosy life in the countryside town of Castleton and tended to help his mother out in the workshop or sometimes help his father in the local pub they ran. He was highly interested in mechanics and later on in school discovered his interest in chemistry which made his parents confident he would grow up to be a scientist or engineer of sorts. That was up until the day his father suffered a stroke, he was 18 at the time. He didn't even get to see his father one last time before he died in hospital, however, he wouldn't be the one so badly affected by his death.

His mother had a mental breakdown at the news of her husbands death and isolated herself in her room for days, only coming out when he was asleep to eat and drink. The day later came that Kane awoke to find his mother's room unlocked and her not in there. He reasoned that she'd finally decided to come out but his assumptions were shot down when he found a note on her bed telling Kane that she couldn't stay anymore, that she was too broken to be around him and that she had left the country to fix herself. Kane was angry and heartbroken. Not only had his father died but he felt that his mother had abandoned him too and it wasn't even a month when Kane sold off the family's pub and and company where he lived off of the resulting money and doing odd jobs. It wasn't long however till Kane started to break into different markets, finding his place in the civilian firearms market and eventually expanding it across the medical, engineering and even the military market place. Kane found himself running a large business at age 23 and shortly after, found himself in the hands of the Syndicate.

#HLApp
u wot m8

Ruskland-Preuben
Minister

Founded: Mar 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruskland-Preuben » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:55 pm

Forest State wrote:
Ruskland-Preuben wrote:So apparently scientific teleporting is dangerous because of the vacuum you leave behind imploding. So can I have scientifically accurate teleportation as my power?

I'm not really sure how that works, to be honest. Maybe explain it a bit more?

Its a bit difficult to understand, but basically:
Teleport into another place instantaneously.
Leave behind a you sized vacuum when you teleport.
Air rushes to fill that vacuum fast, making it implode.

Yeah...
I'm a Cthulhist and a Proud Member of the Federation of Allies.
Don’t expect a warm welcome in P2TM, but let them warm up to you by posting good stuff.
Formerly the NCSU, add 5000 posts please.

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:04 pm

Ruskland-Preuben wrote:
Forest State wrote:I'm not really sure how that works, to be honest. Maybe explain it a bit more?

Its a bit difficult to understand, but basically:
Teleport into another place instantaneously.
Leave behind a you sized vacuum when you teleport.
Air rushes to fill that vacuum fast, making it implode.

Yeah...

Sounds like it could be overpowered. But not definitely. Just make sure it has some drawbacks to it and doesn't just destroy anything easily.
Novia Soviet Socialist Republic wrote:snip

Accepted.
don't tread on me

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse