NATION

PASSWORD

Theocracy Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sahansahiye Iran
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sahansahiye Iran » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Saranidia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Hey Lumi was there ever any serious attempt made by the Holy See to become the dominant political entity of Italy?
I mean more than just influence but territory as well.

I think so,
the Borgias.

By the way
has any seen Borgia: faith and fear?

Doesn't sound very halal. Astaghfirullah, akhi. Smh
Last edited by Sahansahiye Iran on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User formerly known as United Islamic Commonwealth and al-Ismailiyya.
Also known as Khosrow, Zarhust, or Lanian Empire.
Praetorian Prefect of EMN
Senator of EMN
Legatus of the Marian Legion
Integrator of EMN
A GCR Supreme General of the Contrarians
Iranian civic/cultural nationalist
Monarchist
Zoroastrian

Publica
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Publica » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Saranidia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Hey Lumi was there ever any serious attempt made by the Holy See to become the dominant political entity of Italy?
I mean more than just influence but territory as well.

I think so,
the Borgias.

By the way

That was less to do with the Papacy and more to do with the Borgias being terrible people who bribed and murdered their way to power. Also, the Pope himself didn't actually own the territory, and neither did the Holy See. A better answer would likely be about the Papal States, those portions of Italy that directly answered to the Pope, and were seen as part of the Pope's temporal power, rather than being about his ecclesiastical primacy.
So soon may I follow,
When friendships decay,
And from Love's shining circle
The gems drop away.
When true hearts lie withered,
And fond ones are flown,
Oh! who would inhabit
This bleak world alone?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Publica wrote:
Saranidia wrote:
I think so,
the Borgias.

By the way

That was less to do with the Papacy and more to do with the Borgias being terrible people who bribed and murdered their way to power. Also, the Pope himself didn't actually own the territory, and neither did the Holy See. A better answer would likely be about the Papal States, those portions of Italy that directly answered to the Pope, and were seen as part of the Pope's temporal power, rather than being about his ecclesiastical primacy.

That's more what I was asking about yes.

Saranidia
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saranidia » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Publica wrote:
Saranidia wrote:
I think so,
the Borgias.

By the way

Terrible people? were they civilian killers or rapists or something?
As far as i can tell they helped each other(family loyalty) and were no worse than any other medieval nobles in their methods.
Besides the incest stuff wasn't proven.
Mostly represents my views but what I think a Middle Eastern nation should do which will be sometimes different to what I think a western nation should do(because the people have different needs in different places)

Vote Lisa Nandy

Copy this into your sig if you know sex and gender are different and did not fail biology.

RIP grandpa kitchen

Publica
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Publica » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Saranidia wrote:
Publica wrote:That was less to do with the Papacy and more to do with the Borgias being terrible people who bribed and murdered their way to power. Also, the Pope himself didn't actually own the territory, and neither did the Holy See. A better answer would likely be about the Papal States, those portions of Italy that directly answered to the Pope, and were seen as part of the Pope's temporal power, rather than being about his ecclesiastical primacy.

As far as i can tell they helped each other(family loyalty) and were no worse than any other medieval nobles in their methods.

Being no worse than other medieval nobles, especially at the period you're talking about, still makes them terrible people who cheerfully murdered, bribed, blackmailed and stole for personal power and wealth.
So soon may I follow,
When friendships decay,
The gems drop away.
And fond ones are flown,
Oh! who would inhabit
This bleak world alone?

Saranidia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saranidia » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Publica wrote:
Saranidia wrote:

Being no worse than other medieval nobles, especially at the period you're talking about, still makes them terrible people who cheerfully murdered, bribed, blackmailed and stole for personal power and wealth.

did they kill innocents? if not what do you mean by murdered? also stole what? (I am not accusing you of lying good sir/lady, I am asking for clarification)
Mostly represents my views but what I think a Middle Eastern nation should do which will be sometimes different to what I think a western nation should do(because the people have different needs in different places)

Vote Lisa Nandy

Copy this into your sig if you know sex and gender are different and did not fail biology.

RIP grandpa kitchen

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Saranidia wrote:
Publica wrote:

did they kill innocents? if not what do you mean by murdered? also stole what? (I am not accusing you of lying good sir/lady, I am asking for clarification)

Yes, I mean seriously just research the name Borgia.
They would've made Don Corleone go "Woah chill out guys"

Sahansahiye Iran
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sahansahiye Iran » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:17 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Saranidia wrote:did they kill innocents? if not what do you mean by murdered? also stole what? (I am not accusing you of lying good sir/lady, I am asking for clarification)

Yes, I mean seriously just research the name Borgia.

Lol why did it make me snicker to imagine Marlon Brando scratching his chin and then throwing up his arms and saying "Whoa. Chill out, guys!"
User formerly known as United Islamic Commonwealth and al-Ismailiyya.
Also known as Khosrow, Zarhust, or Lanian Empire.
Praetorian Prefect of EMN
Senator of EMN
Legatus of the Marian Legion
Integrator of EMN
A GCR Supreme General of the Contrarians
Iranian civic/cultural nationalist
Monarchist
Zoroastrian

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Sahansahiye Iran wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Yes, I mean seriously just research the name Borgia.

Lol why did it make me snicker to imagine Marlon Brando scratching his chin and then throwing up his arms and saying "Whoa. Chill out, guys!"

It's even more funny because I literally just finished watching the Godfather a couple hours ago. :D

Publica
Envoy

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Publica » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Saranidia wrote:
Publica wrote:

While this is going to be my last post on the topic (due to this being a fair bit of derailing), yes they did. Cesare for instance is the man about whom Machiavelli's "The Prince" was written. He murdered a bunch of people. This was normal for the time, but that doesn't mean that i'm not going to say they were terrible people.
So soon may I follow,
When friendships decay,
The gems drop away.
And fond ones are flown,
Oh! who would inhabit
This bleak world alone?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:26 pm

Saranidia wrote:
Publica wrote:That was less to do with the Papacy and more to do with the Borgias being terrible people who bribed and murdered their way to power. Also, the Pope himself didn't actually own the territory, and neither did the Holy See. A better answer would likely be about the Papal States, those portions of Italy that directly answered to the Pope, and were seen as part of the Pope's temporal power, rather than being about his ecclesiastical primacy.

Yes,
and were no worse than any other medieval nobles in their methods

This is engaging in moral relativism which isn't really helpful.

Saranidia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saranidia » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Saranidia wrote:

Yes,
and were no worse than any other medieval nobles in their methods

This is engaging in moral relativism which isn't really helpful.

The moral relativism isn't helpful you're right actually. Although terrible is a relative term because of degree of bad.
Also who did they rape and/or which civilians did they kill?

Vote Lisa Nandy

RIP grandpa kitchen

Al-Zalaam
Attaché

Founded: Nov 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Zalaam » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:35 am

I rely dont understand y many on here r against theocracy. This is what Allah has ordained for al-Islam. We dont need kufr in our government

Kubumba Tribe
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kubumba Tribe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:46 am

Al-Zalaam wrote:I rely dont understand y many on here r against theocracy. This is what Allah has ordained for al-Islam. We dont need kufr in our government

Not everyone is Muslim, that's why they (the secularists) hate it.
Pro: (Pan-)Islamism--Palestine--RBG--Choice to an extent--Giving land back to Native Americans--East--Afrika--etc.
Anti: US gov--West gov--Capitalism--Imperialism/Colonialism--Racism/White Supremacy--Secularism getting into everything--Western 'intervention' in the East--Zionism--etc.
I'm a New Afrikan Muslim :) https://www.16personalities.com/isfj-personality Sister nation of El-Amin Caliphate
Farnhamia wrote:A word of advice from your friendly neighborhood Mod, be careful how you use "kafir." It's derogatory usage by some people can get you in trouble unless you are very careful in setting the context for it's use.

This means we can use the word, just not in a bad way. So don't punish anyone who uses kafir.

Al-Zalaam
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Zalaam » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:46 am

Kubumba Tribe wrote:
Al-Zalaam wrote:I rely dont understand y many on here r against theocracy. This is what Allah has ordained for al-Islam. We dont need kufr in our government

I agree.

The secularists are trying to strip al-Islam of its glory.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:49 am

Friendly reminder, mods often frown on the word kufr around here.

It can get a bit daft I know, but it probably would be safer to say. " I don't want disbelievers in the government." which is fine by site rules.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Darussalam
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Darussalam » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:49 am

I can get behind a theocracy that aims to exterminate al-Islam. We don't need muslims in our government
The Eternal Phantasmagoria
Nation Maintenance
A Lovecraftian (post?-)cyberpunk Galt's Gulch with Arabian Nights aesthetics, posthumanist cults, and occult artificial intellects.

Al-Zalaam
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Zalaam » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:51 am

Herskerstad wrote:

Friendly reminder, mods often frown on the word kufr around here.

It can get a bit daft I know, but it probably would be safer to say. " I don't want disbelievers in the government." which is fine by site rules.

Yeah, I started using disbelief instead on other posts.

Darussalam wrote:

I can get behind a theocracy that aims to exterminate al-Islam. We don't need muslims in our government

Islamic governments of the middle east I meant.

A theocracy that aims to exterminate al-Islam will be punished by Allah.

Frievolk
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Frievolk » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:51 am

Darussalam wrote:

A theocracy, built on the worship of a syncretic mix of Norse, Hellenic, and Arabian Paganism. Now truly that would be glorious.
OOC
Libertarian Constitutionalist
Part-time Anarchist
Anti-Monotheist
Iranian Nationalist
Templates
♔ The Frievolker Empire || Frievolker Kaiserreik
♔ The Realm in the Sun || De Reik in de Sonne
♔ Led by Kaiser Johann, Part of the Erstwelt
Never forget that the Muslims literally made up a new meaningless name for him when they forgot the name of Adam's Firstborn.

Darussalam
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Darussalam » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:54 am

Al-Zalaam wrote:Islamic governments of the middle east I meant.

Yeah you don't need muslims in the middle east governments. They're not very good at governing. Back up murtads and zindiqs in the new Zoroastrian theocracy instead. So based I can't see why anyone would even oppose theocracy
Last edited by Darussalam on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nation Maintenance
A Lovecraftian (post?-)cyberpunk Galt's Gulch with Arabian Nights aesthetics, posthumanist cults, and occult artificial intellects.

Al-Zalaam
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Zalaam » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:56 am

Darussalam wrote:
Al-Zalaam wrote:Islamic governments of the middle east I meant.

Yeah you don't need muslims in the middle east governments. They're not very good at governing. Back up murtads and zindiqs in the new Zoroastrian theocracy instead. So based I can't see why anyone would even oppose theocracy

Zoroastrianism is heresy.

Al-Islam theocracy is better and more civilized.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:56 am

Frievolk wrote:
Darussalam wrote:I can get behind a theocracy that aims to exterminate al-Islam. We don't need muslims in our government

A theocracy, built on the worship of a syncretic mix of Norse, Hellenic, and Arabian Paganism. Now truly that would be glorious.

With a caste system where you choose your role in life based on your patron deity. :D

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:57 am

Saranidia wrote:

Oh boy.

While not as bad as the tuscan popes, and indeed nepotism being one of their many vices. Even the Catholics look at a good deal of the borgias as ranging between unfortunate to a disgrace on the church.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:57 am

Kubumba Tribe wrote:

Which is a pretty good reason to hate it. It’s pretty pointless to establish an Islamic theocracy is a nation where Muslims are an overwhelming minority of the population and the vast majority of the population don’t want a theocracy to begin with. Places like Iran always exists if you want to live in an Islamic theocracy.
Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
Authoritarian leftist as a means to a libertarian socialist end. Civic nationalist and American patriot. Democracy is non-negotiable. Uniting humanity, fixing our planet and venturing out into the stars is the overarching goal. Jaded and broken yet I persist.

Darussalam
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Darussalam » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:58 am

Al-Zalaam wrote:
Darussalam wrote:Yeah you don't need muslims in the middle east governments. They're not very good at governing. Back up murtads and zindiqs in the new Zoroastrian theocracy instead. So based I can't see why anyone would even oppose theocracy

Zoroastrianism is heresy.

Al-Islam theocracy is better and more civilized.

https://sites.duke.edu/timurkuran/files ... -press.pdf
https://web.stanford.edu/~avner/Greif_2 ... eloped.pdf
Nation Maintenance

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General