NATION

PASSWORD

Should Ireland be Reunited? (2.0)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Ireland be Reunited?

1. Yes
56
25%
2. No
12
5%
3. If the People think so
100
45%
4. VIOLENCE IS THE ONLY WAY
13
6%
5. England should annex Ireland again
34
15%
6. Screw the Irish kill 'em all
5
2%
 
Total votes : 220

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63188
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:28 am

Unithonia wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Again, you keep blaming England for a decision made, and kept in Northern Ireland.

Sinn Fein is one seat behind the DUP and more then 50% of NI wants reunification. PM can see that this is something that could pose a risk. A hard border is highly likely and the IRA will return if England doesn't ensure that a hard border doesn't exist.

Oh really? Do we now? Cuz im near certain i would know about that, considering i live here, so are you going to provide a source for that statement?
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
Unithonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 514
Founded: Jan 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Unithonia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:28 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Unithonia wrote:Sinn Fein is one seat behind the DUP and more then 50% of NI wants reunification. PM can see that this is something that could pose a risk. A hard border is highly likely and the IRA will return if England doesn't ensure that a hard border doesn't exist.


How many times, NORTHERN IRELAND HAS TO ASK FOR A BLOODY REFFERENDUM! Just like Scotland just did!

And in the post 9/11 world, terrorisim isn’t going to help further Irish unification.

I never said it would I and don't support terroism. I'm saying that there is a threat of the return of the IRA if there is a hard border.
Also have you not listened? The (Pro-English) DUP will never ask for a referendum, but they are the majority. Sinn Fein is coming up on their buts so they can ask for a referendum.
Last edited by Unithonia on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to clean up the 'ol Flaming Act. Angry exactly 45.6% of the day.
Pro: IRA, GOP, Equal Rights, Libertarianism, Low Tax Rates, Militarism, Legalism, Fianna Fail, Brexit, LGBT rights
Anti: BLM, Violent protests, Socialism, Nazism, Alt-Right Groups.
Extremely Pro: United Ireland, Armed Forces, Free Markets, Scottish Independence, MAGA, Republic of Ireland.
Extremely Anti: Terrorism, Antifa, United Kingdom, PIRA, Communism, Socialism, Social Justice
STRAIGHT OUTTA DUBLIN
I SUPPORT A UNITED IRELAND
This
Conserative Morality wrote:You're supporting a sense of rationality over rational concerns, which would result in the conclusion that rationality is of no inherent benefit.

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63188
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:28 am

Ifreann wrote:
Washington Resistance Army wrote:
CIRA and NIRA are still fighting the dissident campaign, I could see it helping them but it's not like PIRA is just gonna suddenly rise from the grave with a whole new batch of semtex.

Of course not. The semtex is buried on someone's uncle's farm, not in a graveyard.

It's always someone's uncle, don't ask me why.

Could always ask Gerry
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63188
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:29 am

Unithonia wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:
How many times, NORTHERN IRELAND HAS TO ASK FOR A BLOODY REFFERENDUM! Just like Scotland just did!

And in the post 9/11 world, terrorisim isn’t going to help further Irish unification.

I never said it would I and don't support terroism. I'm saying that there is a threat of the return of the IRA if there is a hard border.
Also have you not listened? The (English) DUP will never ask for a referendum, but they are the majority. Sinn Fein is coming up on their buts so they can ask for a referendum.

The DUP are not english. And no they are not the majority.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
Unithonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 514
Founded: Jan 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Unithonia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:31 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Unithonia wrote:Sinn Fein is one seat behind the DUP and more then 50% of NI wants reunification. PM can see that this is something that could pose a risk. A hard border is highly likely and the IRA will return if England doesn't ensure that a hard border doesn't exist.

Oh really? Do we now? Cuz im near certain i would know about that, considering i live here, so are you going to provide a source for that statement?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-45391529
Main points in the article being:
52% of those surveyed backed a united Ireland with 39% showing support for Northern Ireland staying in the UK
The group also says their poll indicates that support for Irish reunification increases to 56% if there is a hard border.
Trying to clean up the 'ol Flaming Act. Angry exactly 45.6% of the day.
Pro: IRA, GOP, Equal Rights, Libertarianism, Low Tax Rates, Militarism, Legalism, Fianna Fail, Brexit, LGBT rights
Anti: BLM, Violent protests, Socialism, Nazism, Alt-Right Groups.
Extremely Pro: United Ireland, Armed Forces, Free Markets, Scottish Independence, MAGA, Republic of Ireland.
Extremely Anti: Terrorism, Antifa, United Kingdom, PIRA, Communism, Socialism, Social Justice
STRAIGHT OUTTA DUBLIN
I SUPPORT A UNITED IRELAND
This
Conserative Morality wrote:You're supporting a sense of rationality over rational concerns, which would result in the conclusion that rationality is of no inherent benefit.

User avatar
Unithonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 514
Founded: Jan 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Unithonia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:32 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Unithonia wrote:I never said it would I and don't support terroism. I'm saying that there is a threat of the return of the IRA if there is a hard border.
Also have you not listened? The (English) DUP will never ask for a referendum, but they are the majority. Sinn Fein is coming up on their buts so they can ask for a referendum.

The DUP are not english. And no they are not the majority.

Who be Majority then. Honestly, I thought the DUP where. And I meant Pro-English I'm just dumb and forgot to add Pro
Trying to clean up the 'ol Flaming Act. Angry exactly 45.6% of the day.
Pro: IRA, GOP, Equal Rights, Libertarianism, Low Tax Rates, Militarism, Legalism, Fianna Fail, Brexit, LGBT rights
Anti: BLM, Violent protests, Socialism, Nazism, Alt-Right Groups.
Extremely Pro: United Ireland, Armed Forces, Free Markets, Scottish Independence, MAGA, Republic of Ireland.
Extremely Anti: Terrorism, Antifa, United Kingdom, PIRA, Communism, Socialism, Social Justice
STRAIGHT OUTTA DUBLIN
I SUPPORT A UNITED IRELAND
This
Conserative Morality wrote:You're supporting a sense of rationality over rational concerns, which would result in the conclusion that rationality is of no inherent benefit.

User avatar
Estanglia
Senator
 
Posts: 3858
Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Estanglia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:33 am

Unithonia wrote:
Luziyca wrote:It isn't, but I'm sure that had they known what will happen, they might have voted a bit differently.

Eh.

A hard border was always going to be a risk of Brexit. They voted knowing this. The Good Friday agreement is just Englands excuse for keeping control over territory that doesn't belong to them.

What do you mean by this? That the Good Friday agreement is England controlling NI illegitimately? Because iirc NI wanted to be in the Union.
Unithonia wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Again, you keep blaming England for a decision made, and kept in Northern Ireland.

Sinn Fein is one seat behind the DUP and more then 50% of NI wants reunification. PM can see that this is something that could pose a risk. A hard border is highly likely and the IRA will return if England doesn't ensure that a hard border doesn't exist.

Northern Ireland has to ask for a referendum. No matter how much the population wants unification, the NI government has to ask for one. To pin the lack of referendum on May at this point is disingenuous.
Yeah: Egalitarianism, equality
Meh: Labour, the EU
Nah: pointless discrimination, authoritarianism, Brexit, Trump, both American parties, the Conservatives
I flop between "optimistic about the future" and "pessimistic about the future" every time I go on NSG.

(Taken 29/08/2020)
Political compass test:
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

8values thinks I'm a Libertarian Socialist.

Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"

User avatar
Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59216
Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:34 am

Unithonia wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Oh really? Do we now? Cuz im near certain i would know about that, considering i live here, so are you going to provide a source for that statement?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-45391529
Main points in the article being:
52% of those surveyed backed a united Ireland with 39% showing support for Northern Ireland staying in the UK
The group also says their poll indicates that support for Irish reunification increases to 56% if there is a hard border.


I think the big problem with this is that it was an online poll and those aren't generally held in very high regard when it comes to pollsters.
National Communist, anti-imperialist, political junkie, defense analysis fanatic, polytheist
LeftValues results
https://classunity.org/

User avatar
Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9309
Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:34 am

Unithonia wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Oh really? Do we now? Cuz im near certain i would know about that, considering i live here, so are you going to provide a source for that statement?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-45391529
Main points in the article being:
52% of those surveyed backed a united Ireland with 39% showing support for Northern Ireland staying in the UK
The group also says their poll indicates that support for Irish reunification increases to 56% if there is a hard border.


Oh, right an online poll. Like the ones, which I mentioned predicted Trump would lose, Scottish independence was more popular then it was and Brexit wouldn’t happen. They mean nothing.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 178077
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:35 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Of course not. The semtex is buried on someone's uncle's farm, not in a graveyard.

It's always someone's uncle, don't ask me why.

Could always ask Gerry

Gerry Alluncle.
He/Him
From damnation, immolation
He descends bringing our salvation
With heart of nuclear thunder
Iron will made of steel

Saoirse don Phalaistín

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63188
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:35 am

Unithonia wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:The DUP are not english. And no they are not the majority.

Who be Majority then. Honestly, I thought the DUP where. And I meant Pro-English I'm just dumb and forgot to add Pro

There is no majority in the Assembly. Nationalists and Unionists are neck and neck with near equal levels of votes and seats.

Unithonia wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Oh really? Do we now? Cuz im near certain i would know about that, considering i live here, so are you going to provide a source for that statement?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-45391529
Main points in the article being:
52% of those surveyed backed a united Ireland with 39% showing support for Northern Ireland staying in the UK
The group also says their poll indicates that support for Irish reunification increases to 56% if there is a hard border.
Ive seen that poll myself, it is one poll, carried out online and depends entirely on how brexit goes and its not clear cut, there are no official calls for a border poll from anyone and the only group really talking about it are Sinn Fein.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
Unithonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 514
Founded: Jan 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Unithonia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:36 am

Estanglia wrote:
Unithonia wrote:A hard border was always going to be a risk of Brexit. They voted knowing this. The Good Friday agreement is just Englands excuse for keeping control over territory that doesn't belong to them.

What do you mean by this? That the Good Friday agreement is England controlling NI illegitimately? Because iirc NI wanted to be in the Union.
Unithonia wrote:Sinn Fein is one seat behind the DUP and more then 50% of NI wants reunification. PM can see that this is something that could pose a risk. A hard border is highly likely and the IRA will return if England doesn't ensure that a hard border doesn't exist.

Northern Ireland has to ask for a referendum. No matter how much the population wants unification, the NI government has to ask for one. To pin the lack of referendum on May at this point is disingenuous.

I don' deny that the GFA was a good decision to end the troubles. But now it is just an excuse for control over territory that the English invaded. And I've said it 3000000000 times, Sinn Fein is taking control of the government. I don't know too much about the NI government though, ask Huskar if you want more on that,
Trying to clean up the 'ol Flaming Act. Angry exactly 45.6% of the day.
Pro: IRA, GOP, Equal Rights, Libertarianism, Low Tax Rates, Militarism, Legalism, Fianna Fail, Brexit, LGBT rights
Anti: BLM, Violent protests, Socialism, Nazism, Alt-Right Groups.
Extremely Pro: United Ireland, Armed Forces, Free Markets, Scottish Independence, MAGA, Republic of Ireland.
Extremely Anti: Terrorism, Antifa, United Kingdom, PIRA, Communism, Socialism, Social Justice
STRAIGHT OUTTA DUBLIN
I SUPPORT A UNITED IRELAND
This
Conserative Morality wrote:You're supporting a sense of rationality over rational concerns, which would result in the conclusion that rationality is of no inherent benefit.

User avatar
Estanglia
Senator
 
Posts: 3858
Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Estanglia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:36 am

Unithonia wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:The DUP are not english. And no they are not the majority.

Who be Majority then. Honestly, I thought the DUP where. And I meant Pro-English I'm just dumb and forgot to add Pro

By pro-English do you mean pro-Union?
Yeah: Egalitarianism, equality
Meh: Labour, the EU
Nah: pointless discrimination, authoritarianism, Brexit, Trump, both American parties, the Conservatives
I flop between "optimistic about the future" and "pessimistic about the future" every time I go on NSG.

(Taken 29/08/2020)
Political compass test:
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

8values thinks I'm a Libertarian Socialist.

Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63188
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:37 am

The Good Friday Agreement is not a fucking excuse for England to control Northern Ireland. That is a monumentally fucking stupid statement considering it had the backing of the vast majority of people in Northern Ireland and the Republic and the backing of both the British and Irish Governments.

The British Government is obligated by the GFA to support Irish Unification and to help implement it if the majority of NI votes decide that we want unification.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
Unithonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 514
Founded: Jan 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Unithonia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:37 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Unithonia wrote:Who be Majority then. Honestly, I thought the DUP where. And I meant Pro-English I'm just dumb and forgot to add Pro

There is no majority in the Assembly. Nationalists and Unionists are neck and neck with near equal levels of votes and seats.

Unithonia wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-45391529
Main points in the article being:
52% of those surveyed backed a united Ireland with 39% showing support for Northern Ireland staying in the UK
The group also says their poll indicates that support for Irish reunification increases to 56% if there is a hard border.
Ive seen that poll myself, it is one poll, carried out online and depends entirely on how brexit goes and its not clear cut, there are no official calls for a border poll from anyone and the only group really talking about it are Sinn Fein.

https://www.lucidtalk.co.uk/single-post ... ACKER-POLL
Trying to clean up the 'ol Flaming Act. Angry exactly 45.6% of the day.
Pro: IRA, GOP, Equal Rights, Libertarianism, Low Tax Rates, Militarism, Legalism, Fianna Fail, Brexit, LGBT rights
Anti: BLM, Violent protests, Socialism, Nazism, Alt-Right Groups.
Extremely Pro: United Ireland, Armed Forces, Free Markets, Scottish Independence, MAGA, Republic of Ireland.
Extremely Anti: Terrorism, Antifa, United Kingdom, PIRA, Communism, Socialism, Social Justice
STRAIGHT OUTTA DUBLIN
I SUPPORT A UNITED IRELAND
This
Conserative Morality wrote:You're supporting a sense of rationality over rational concerns, which would result in the conclusion that rationality is of no inherent benefit.

User avatar
Chestaan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6975
Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:39 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Freezic Vast wrote:Now I think my English and Irish history is a bit off, but I thought the plantations in Ireland predate the House of Stuart by Queens Mary and Elizabeth of the Tudors, or was that the plantations in the South of Ireland?

There was the Pale, which was an area of land controlled initially by the Normans and then later the English in the late middle ages. It was located in Leinster around Dublin. And then later the English established control over other parts of southern Ireland either directly or through influenced lords.

Image


Awesome, my family made it on to the list :P

As to the question, really it depends on what the people of Ireland North and South think. As for the other "option" of reuniting with Britain the litany of crimes committed by the British means that will never be supported in Ireland. The Irish were treated as second class citizens in their own land, murdered, ethnically cleansed and stripped of all culture and individuality. Fuck reuniting with Britain.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

User avatar
Unithonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 514
Founded: Jan 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Unithonia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:39 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:The Good Friday Agreement is not a fucking excuse for England to control Northern Ireland. That is a monumentally fucking stupid statement considering it had the backing of the vast majority of people in Northern Ireland and the Republic and the backing of both the British and Irish Governments.

Yes, in order to stop the troubles. But, as the IRA isn't active and the troubles no longer exist, there is really no reason for it. I'm not saying that was its original intention, I'm saying that's what it has become now
Trying to clean up the 'ol Flaming Act. Angry exactly 45.6% of the day.
Pro: IRA, GOP, Equal Rights, Libertarianism, Low Tax Rates, Militarism, Legalism, Fianna Fail, Brexit, LGBT rights
Anti: BLM, Violent protests, Socialism, Nazism, Alt-Right Groups.
Extremely Pro: United Ireland, Armed Forces, Free Markets, Scottish Independence, MAGA, Republic of Ireland.
Extremely Anti: Terrorism, Antifa, United Kingdom, PIRA, Communism, Socialism, Social Justice
STRAIGHT OUTTA DUBLIN
I SUPPORT A UNITED IRELAND
This
Conserative Morality wrote:You're supporting a sense of rationality over rational concerns, which would result in the conclusion that rationality is of no inherent benefit.

User avatar
Estanglia
Senator
 
Posts: 3858
Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Estanglia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:39 am

Unithonia wrote:
Estanglia wrote:What do you mean by this? That the Good Friday agreement is England controlling NI illegitimately? Because iirc NI wanted to be in the Union.

Northern Ireland has to ask for a referendum. No matter how much the population wants unification, the NI government has to ask for one. To pin the lack of referendum on May at this point is disingenuous.

I don' deny that the GFA was a good decision to end the troubles. But now it is just an excuse for control over territory that the English invaded.

It's not. NI can call a referendum whenever it wants and leave.

And this invaded territory wanted to be part of the Union.

And not all the colonists were English. Some were Scottish.
And I've said it 3000000000 times, Sinn Fein is taking control of the government. I don't know too much about the NI government though, ask Huskar if you want more on that,

Then they can call a referendum when they take power. But you've kept blaming May for the lack of referendum when it's not her fault.
Yeah: Egalitarianism, equality
Meh: Labour, the EU
Nah: pointless discrimination, authoritarianism, Brexit, Trump, both American parties, the Conservatives
I flop between "optimistic about the future" and "pessimistic about the future" every time I go on NSG.

(Taken 29/08/2020)
Political compass test:
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

8values thinks I'm a Libertarian Socialist.

Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"

User avatar
Unithonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 514
Founded: Jan 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Unithonia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:40 am

Chestaan wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:There was the Pale, which was an area of land controlled initially by the Normans and then later the English in the late middle ages. It was located in Leinster around Dublin. And then later the English established control over other parts of southern Ireland either directly or through influenced lords.

Image


Awesome, my family made it on to the list :P

As to the question, really it depends on what the people of Ireland North and South think. As for the other "option" of reuniting with Britain the litany of crimes committed by the British means that will never be supported in Ireland. The Irish were treated as second class citizens in their own land, murdered, ethnically cleansed and stripped of all culture and individuality. Fuck reuniting with Britain.

Agreed. I would join the IRA before I would reunite with England. That's just for the English people so they have an option other than Kill the Irish XD
Trying to clean up the 'ol Flaming Act. Angry exactly 45.6% of the day.
Pro: IRA, GOP, Equal Rights, Libertarianism, Low Tax Rates, Militarism, Legalism, Fianna Fail, Brexit, LGBT rights
Anti: BLM, Violent protests, Socialism, Nazism, Alt-Right Groups.
Extremely Pro: United Ireland, Armed Forces, Free Markets, Scottish Independence, MAGA, Republic of Ireland.
Extremely Anti: Terrorism, Antifa, United Kingdom, PIRA, Communism, Socialism, Social Justice
STRAIGHT OUTTA DUBLIN
I SUPPORT A UNITED IRELAND
This
Conserative Morality wrote:You're supporting a sense of rationality over rational concerns, which would result in the conclusion that rationality is of no inherent benefit.

User avatar
Unithonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 514
Founded: Jan 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Unithonia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 am

Chestaan wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:There was the Pale, which was an area of land controlled initially by the Normans and then later the English in the late middle ages. It was located in Leinster around Dublin. And then later the English established control over other parts of southern Ireland either directly or through influenced lords.

Image


Awesome, my family made it on to the list :P

As to the question, really it depends on what the people of Ireland North and South think. As for the other "option" of reuniting with Britain the litany of crimes committed by the British means that will never be supported in Ireland. The Irish were treated as second class citizens in their own land, murdered, ethnically cleansed and stripped of all culture and individuality. Fuck reuniting with Britain.

Also, my family was stewards to the O'Connors so YEET. We made the decisions. What is your family?
Trying to clean up the 'ol Flaming Act. Angry exactly 45.6% of the day.
Pro: IRA, GOP, Equal Rights, Libertarianism, Low Tax Rates, Militarism, Legalism, Fianna Fail, Brexit, LGBT rights
Anti: BLM, Violent protests, Socialism, Nazism, Alt-Right Groups.
Extremely Pro: United Ireland, Armed Forces, Free Markets, Scottish Independence, MAGA, Republic of Ireland.
Extremely Anti: Terrorism, Antifa, United Kingdom, PIRA, Communism, Socialism, Social Justice
STRAIGHT OUTTA DUBLIN
I SUPPORT A UNITED IRELAND
This
Conserative Morality wrote:You're supporting a sense of rationality over rational concerns, which would result in the conclusion that rationality is of no inherent benefit.

User avatar
New Owca
Envoy
 
Posts: 327
Founded: May 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Owca » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 am

Re-uniting Ireland faces the same problems as, say, giving Gibraltar to Spain or Falklands to Argentina has. One, the people there don't want to go back, and two, they are culturally opposed to each other.
We don't use NS stats.

User avatar
Estanglia
Senator
 
Posts: 3858
Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Estanglia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 am

Unithonia wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:The Good Friday Agreement is not a fucking excuse for England to control Northern Ireland. That is a monumentally fucking stupid statement considering it had the backing of the vast majority of people in Northern Ireland and the Republic and the backing of both the British and Irish Governments.

Yes, in order to stop the troubles. But, as the IRA isn't active and the troubles no longer exist, there is really no reason for it. I'm not saying that was its original intention, I'm saying that's what it has become now

The second part of Huskar's post:
The British Government is obligated by the GFA to support Irish Unification and to help implement it if the majority of NI votes decide that we want unification.

(which may have been edited in later) points out that Britain has to support Irish unification if NI wants it. Britain can't keep NI if NI wants to unify.
Yeah: Egalitarianism, equality
Meh: Labour, the EU
Nah: pointless discrimination, authoritarianism, Brexit, Trump, both American parties, the Conservatives
I flop between "optimistic about the future" and "pessimistic about the future" every time I go on NSG.

(Taken 29/08/2020)
Political compass test:
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

8values thinks I'm a Libertarian Socialist.

Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"

User avatar
Unithonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 514
Founded: Jan 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Unithonia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:44 am

Estanglia wrote:
Unithonia wrote:I don' deny that the GFA was a good decision to end the troubles. But now it is just an excuse for control over territory that the English invaded.

It's not. NI can call a referendum whenever it wants and leave.

And this invaded territory wanted to be part of the Union.

And not all the colonists were English. Some were Scottish.
And I've said it 3000000000 times, Sinn Fein is taking control of the government. I don't know too much about the NI government though, ask Huskar if you want more on that,

Then they can call a referendum when they take power. But you've kept blaming May for the lack of referendum when it's not her fault.

Welp, I'm stupid. I didn't know it allows a referendum. I thought that was just a separate thing. Forgive my stupidity. May could easily hold a referendum. She isn't deaf to what people are asking for.
Trying to clean up the 'ol Flaming Act. Angry exactly 45.6% of the day.
Pro: IRA, GOP, Equal Rights, Libertarianism, Low Tax Rates, Militarism, Legalism, Fianna Fail, Brexit, LGBT rights
Anti: BLM, Violent protests, Socialism, Nazism, Alt-Right Groups.
Extremely Pro: United Ireland, Armed Forces, Free Markets, Scottish Independence, MAGA, Republic of Ireland.
Extremely Anti: Terrorism, Antifa, United Kingdom, PIRA, Communism, Socialism, Social Justice
STRAIGHT OUTTA DUBLIN
I SUPPORT A UNITED IRELAND
This
Conserative Morality wrote:You're supporting a sense of rationality over rational concerns, which would result in the conclusion that rationality is of no inherent benefit.

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 63188
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:44 am

Unithonia wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:The Good Friday Agreement is not a fucking excuse for England to control Northern Ireland. That is a monumentally fucking stupid statement considering it had the backing of the vast majority of people in Northern Ireland and the Republic and the backing of both the British and Irish Governments.

Yes, in order to stop the troubles. But, as the IRA isn't active and the troubles no longer exist, there is really no reason for it. I'm not saying that was its original intention, I'm saying that's what it has become now
That is not the only fucking thing the GFA was for, try to have at least the basic idea of what you are talking about.

The GFA created the devolved power sharing assembly in stormont, the creation of the North/South ministerial Council and the British Irish Council and British Irish Governmental Conference. It created the procedures and institutions for possible eventual unification and it also ended decades of discrimination in employment, housing, political representation and other areas. It is the basis for much of how NI exists and functions today.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast ■■■ / Leftwing / Atheist / Re-arm Europe
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020



I like Miniature painting, Tanks, Horse Girl racing (apparently), Video games and most importantly Cheese.


User avatar
Unithonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 514
Founded: Jan 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Unithonia » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:46 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Unithonia wrote:Yes, in order to stop the troubles. But, as the IRA isn't active and the troubles no longer exist, there is really no reason for it. I'm not saying that was its original intention, I'm saying that's what it has become now
That is not the only fucking thing the GFA was for, try to have at least the basic idea of what you are talking about.

The GFA created the devolved power sharing assembly in stormont, the creation of the North/South ministerial Council and the British Irish Council and British Irish Governmental Conference. It created the procedures and institutions for possible eventual unification and it also ended decades of discrimination in employment, housing, political representation and other areas. It is the basis for much of how NI exists and functions today.

See my above post
Trying to clean up the 'ol Flaming Act. Angry exactly 45.6% of the day.
Pro: IRA, GOP, Equal Rights, Libertarianism, Low Tax Rates, Militarism, Legalism, Fianna Fail, Brexit, LGBT rights
Anti: BLM, Violent protests, Socialism, Nazism, Alt-Right Groups.
Extremely Pro: United Ireland, Armed Forces, Free Markets, Scottish Independence, MAGA, Republic of Ireland.
Extremely Anti: Terrorism, Antifa, United Kingdom, PIRA, Communism, Socialism, Social Justice
STRAIGHT OUTTA DUBLIN
I SUPPORT A UNITED IRELAND
This
Conserative Morality wrote:You're supporting a sense of rationality over rational concerns, which would result in the conclusion that rationality is of no inherent benefit.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Atrito, Bovad, Deutscher Volksstaat, DutchFormosa, Eahland, Enimero, Google [Bot], Hergovnia, Ifreann, Isabel la Catolica, Maraganta, Ostroeuropa, Sanana, Sectiyera, TRUMP ALMIGHTY, Unogonduria

Advertisement

Remove ads