NATION

PASSWORD

Young people are more useless than ever...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43679
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
New York Times Democracy

Young people are more useless than ever...

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:16 pm

A professor of surgery says students have spent so much time in front of screens and so little time using their hands that they have lost the dexterity for stitching or sewing up patients.

Roger Kneebone, professor of surgical education at Imperial College, London, says young people have so little experience of craft skills that they struggle with anything practical.

"It is important and an increasingly urgent issue," says Prof Kneebone, who warns medical students might have high academic grades but cannot cut or sew.

"It is a concern of mine and my scientific colleagues that whereas in the past you could make the assumption that students would leave school able to do certain practical things - cutting things out, making things - that is no longer the case," says Prof Kneebone.


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46019429

Now let's all get over the amusement at the name Prof Kneebone and deal with the real problem. Young people can't use their hands very well.

I can completely see how the reduction of education in things like music and crafting will reduce a persons agility with their hands, especially when spare time is spent mostly with touch screens and the like.

What say you NSG? Can you sew on a button? Patch a bleeding aorta?
Last edited by Fartsniffage on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vince Vaughn
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 487
Founded: May 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vince Vaughn » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:22 pm

Not even going as far as surgery, but people who use the mouse in Excel instead of the keyboard shortcuts are beneath me.
Work ethic. Work ethic.

User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6942
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Teachian
Envoy
 
Posts: 280
Founded: Sep 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Teachian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm

I mean, I've never tried to stitch a cut, but I can do that Spock-vulcan peace thing with my hand, so I think that counts for something.

In all seriousness though, I'm not that young, but I can't be much older than people in Medical School, so I don't think I'm that presumptive when I say "I'm that age group and I use my hands just fine". Though, in all fairness, I usually tend to be tweaking something with them (nervous habit) and I did do stuff like music programs was I was young. I'm actually a little surprised, since you'd think the one thing people are training in the digital age are their hands, but then again, dropping those dank emojis on your friends isn't using the same muscles that you'd need in a life-saving operation.

I think a good question would be what parts digital devices play in the degradation of these skills? Is it binge watching shows? Working out those thumbs on social media? Is someone who spends as much time on a video game console going to be better or worse than someone who spends the majority of their time on their phone?
Was looking for the washroom, somehow became president

User avatar
Bombadil
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20669
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Even Turing wouldn't be able to decipher the current state of my handwriting..
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 79496
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:39 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:What say you NSG? Can you sew on a button? Patch a bleeding aorta?

Yes. I can sew a button and a few other things. Though an aorta is out of the question except for just putting a clamp/tourniquet on it
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43679
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
New York Times Democracy

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:45 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:What say you NSG? Can you sew on a button? Patch a bleeding aorta?

Yes. I can sew a button and a few other things. Though an aorta is out of the question except for just putting a clamp/tourniquet on it


Well that's one way to kill a person... :P

User avatar
Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9211
Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:48 pm

This just reeks of the eternal "those gosh darn kiddos can't do anything!" excuse, arguably one of the oldest excuses in human history.

Older generations looks down on younger generations for bloody millennia.

User avatar
Iridencia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 356
Founded: Feb 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Iridencia » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:50 pm

Meanwhile, Socrates literally bitched about how the written word was causing young people to lose the fine art of memorization and oration. Damn kids with their use of hands!

This is just what old people do—complain about things being done differently than what they grew up with. Despite what they and the brown-nosing "I hate my generation!"s of the world may think, nobody has ever cared about this whining before and they will continue to not care until the extinction of man. To quote Abe Simpson, "I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you!"

User avatar
Nocturnalis
Diplomat
 
Posts: 941
Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nocturnalis » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:50 pm

As a young person I agree. Thank goodness I'm not in Medicine.

User avatar
Dogmeat
Senator
 
Posts: 4056
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dogmeat » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:51 pm

Let's not lose our shit just because one posh British tit decried the state of today's youth. He's probably just being a posh British tit.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

User avatar
Major-Tom
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16279
Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:52 pm

I would disagree, but last night I struggled to open a Sriracha packet and briefly forgot basic long division.

User avatar
Geneviev
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16180
Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:52 pm

To start, I'm not useless, thank you. Anyways, maybe people coming out of medical school have at least the ability to fix people. That doesn't make young people useless if they can't, it means some people maybe need to learn to do that. I could sew a button because of life skills and such and I can't see blood without panicking, which is why medical school isn't possible. Most people around my age that I know are good at these things, so maybe it's only a very specific generation instead of Young People.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43679
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
New York Times Democracy

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:53 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:This just reeks of the eternal "those gosh darn kiddos can't do anything!" excuse, arguably one of the oldest excuses in human history.

Older generations looks down on younger generations for bloody millennia.


No, it doesn't.

This is the older generation saying that restricting education to simply the basics in pursuit of test scores is a bad thing. And using an example that is vital to modern society to make the point.

But perhaps your jumping to conclusions is a bit of an issue with millenials?

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 79496
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Yes. I can sew a button and a few other things. Though an aorta is out of the question except for just putting a clamp/tourniquet on it


Well that's one way to kill a person... :P

This is why I probably shouldn’t be watching TV and doing NS at the same time.

How the fuck did I confuse Aorta with Arteries?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43679
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
New York Times Democracy

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:57 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
Well that's one way to kill a person... :P

This is why I probably shouldn’t be watching TV and doing NS at the same time.

How the fuck did I confuse Aorta with Arteries?


You were a medic. If you saw an aorta then you were moving on anyway.

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 79496
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:57 pm

Major-Tom wrote:I would disagree, but last night I struggled to open a Sriracha packet and briefly forgot basic long division.

Well I have no problem with Sriracha packets but I gave up on long division years ago
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Bombadil
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20669
Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:58 pm

Major-Tom wrote:I would disagree, but last night I struggled to open a Sriracha packet and briefly forgot basic long division.


My ability to neatly and consistently open a milk carton is listed in my skills on my resume.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 79496
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:58 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:This is why I probably shouldn’t be watching TV and doing NS at the same time.

How the fuck did I confuse Aorta with Arteries?


You were a medic. If you saw an aorta then you were moving on anyway.

That’s when I would have brought out the black tags
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32068
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:00 pm

--EDITED-OUT--
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates' resident cockroach. I've been around forever, I'm a pest. I'm everywhere and you can't get rid of me
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
Greek Australian----Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
My countryball, courtesy of Recaxa https://i.imgur.com/SPUTpra.png

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43679
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
New York Times Democracy

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:01 pm

Dogmeat wrote:Let's not lose our shit just because one posh British tit decried the state of today's youth. He's probably just being a posh British tit.


He was making a valid point.

The lack of understanding of the people reading the article is making a different point......

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 79496
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:03 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:Let's not lose our shit just because one posh British tit decried the state of today's youth. He's probably just being a posh British tit.


He was making a valid point.

The lack of understanding of the people reading the article is making a different point......

I get the point he’s making and it’s a good one. Just doodling is better than being on a touchscreen all day
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

User avatar
Tiressa
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 15
Founded: Oct 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiressa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:04 pm

Yes, and precious doctors were probably mad that their students couldn't amputate legs anymore. Darn youths!

Surgeons today work increasingly with robotic assistants for surgery, even from very early in their education. Sure, they will be less skilled ad patching somebody up on the fly in the traditional sense. On the other hand, they display greater skill at using surgical robots than their older peers do - that's certainly worth something, isn't it?

At the end, it comes down to "the eternal "those gosh darn kiddos can't do anything!" excuse", as somebody already said. The fact that OP didn't outright state it matters little - especially with such a telling title as "young people are more useless than ever." Millennials may jump to conclusion, but the older generation sure loves their passive-aggressive little games with which to "trigger" these young snowflakes ;)
Fate Favours the Strong - There are few who can wield magic as masterfully as the Tiressan Sorcerer-Lords. And there are even fewer who can claim to be as diligent, observant, and resilient. Suffering and misery are everywhere and should be embraced, not shunned. Come and writhe in agony, as we all should.

After all, tradition is important. Mens Sana in Corpore Sano.

Founder of The Adhal Sea.

User avatar
Iridencia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 356
Founded: Feb 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Iridencia » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Major-Tom wrote:I would disagree, but last night I struggled to open a Sriracha packet and briefly forgot basic long division.


I never understood long division and sriracha sucks anyway. Viva la future!

User avatar
New haven america
Post Czar
 
Posts: 49102
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New haven america » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:08 pm

I take that as a compliment.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2026

That's all folks~

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -Saiwania-, Applebania, Azhaar, Cole Whyte-Gurney, Democratic Kingdom of South India, GMS, Ifreann, Ineva, Maraganta, Ostroeuropa, Platypus Bureaucracy, Renanland, The Two Jerseys, Trazkaina-, Vassenor

Advertisement

Remove ads